Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,066 members, 7,821,669 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 04:33 PM

To Nairaland Atheist. - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / To Nairaland Atheist. (3141 Views)

A Challenge To Nairaland Atheist / how a Nairaland Atheist Saved My Life / My Observation On some Nairaland Atheist (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

To Nairaland Atheist. by Sisterfatie(f): 8:05am On Apr 15, 2012
I want u guys to recommend some atheists books to me ,i want to help my friends see the truth.
Re: To Nairaland Atheist. by Callotti: 8:28am On Apr 15, 2012
Re: To Nairaland Atheist. by logicboy: 8:29am On Apr 15, 2012
Sister fatie: I want u guys to recommend some atheists books to me ,i want to help my friends see the truth.

Read the bible if you're a christian. Or read the Koran if you're a muslim. They both turn people who actually read them into atheists

I see that you're a woman and so let's see what the bible says about women (sexism);

a)1 Corinthians 14:34 - 35*
34. Let your women keep silence in the churches: for it is not permitted unto them to speak; but [they are commanded] to be under obedience, as also saith the law.
35 And if they will learn any thing, let them ask their husbands at home: for it is a shame for women to speak in the church

b)Leviticus 12:2 *
2 Speak unto the children of Israel, saying, If a woman have conceived seed, and born a man child: then she shall be unclean seven days; according to the days of the separation for her infirmity shall she be unclean.
Leviticus 12:5
5 But if she bear a maid child, then she shall be unclean two weeks, as in her separation: and she shall continue in the blood of her purifying threescore and six days.
(Woman unclean for 7 days if she gives birth to a man child.
She is unclean for 14 days to 66 days if she gives birth to woman child

The Koran;

4: 12. ALLAH commands you concerning your children; a male shall have as much as the share of two females; but if their be females only, numbering more than two, then they shall have two-thirds of what the deceased leave; and if there be one, she shall have the half

4; 34. Men have authority over women because God has made the one superior to the other, and because they spend their wealth to maintain them. Good women are obedient. They guard their unseen parts because God has guarded them. As for those from whom you fear disobedience, admonish them and send them to beds apart and beat them. Then if they obey you, take no further action against them. Surely God is high, supreme.
Re: To Nairaland Atheist. by Nobody: 8:31am On Apr 15, 2012
1.The God Delusion by Richards Dawkins

2.God Is Not Great: How Religion Poisons Everything by Christopher Hitchens

3.Natural Atheism by David Eller

4.Why I Became an Atheist: A Former Preacher Rejects Christianity by John W. Loftus
Re: To Nairaland Atheist. by Callotti: 8:31am On Apr 15, 2012
My very BEST! kiss

Why I am Not a Christian: And Other Essays on Religion and Related Subjects
by Bertrand Russell

Book Description
Dedicated as few men have been to the life of reason, Bertrand Russell has always been concerned with the basic questions to which religion also addresses itself -- questions about man's place in the universe and the nature of the good life, questions that involve life after death, morality, freedom, education, and sexual ethics. He brings to his treatment of these questions the same courage, scrupulous logic, and lofty wisdom for which his other work as philosopher, writer, and teacher has been famous. These qualities make the essays included in this book perhaps the most graceful and moving presentation of the freethinker's position since the days of Hume and Voltaire.

"I am as firmly convinced that religions do harm as I am that they are untrue," Russell declares in his Preface, and his reasoned opposition to any system or dogma which he feels may shackle man's mind runs through all the essays in this book, whether they were written as early as 1899 or as late as 1954.

The book has been edited, with Lord Russell's full approval and cooperation, by Professor Paul Edwards of the Philosophy Department of New York University. In an Appendix, Professor Edwards contributes a full account of the highly controversial "Bertrand Russell Case" of 1940, in which Russell was judicially declared "unfit" to teach philosophy at the College of the City of New York.

Whether the reader shares or rejects Bertrand Russell's views, he will find this book an invigorating challenge to set notions, a masterly statement of a philosophical position, and a pure joy to read.
Re: To Nairaland Atheist. by maclatunji: 8:34am On Apr 15, 2012
Fatie, there is no amount of books you read that will divorce you from God. It is impossible, you know it in the deepest part of the bottom of your heart.

Why do you think atheists continually make efforts to prove the 'non-existence' of God? It is because they are empty and need to antagonise to remain relevant and have any sense of worth.
Re: To Nairaland Atheist. by Callotti: 8:35am On Apr 15, 2012
The best movies too. cool

http://atheistmovies..com/
Re: To Nairaland Atheist. by Callotti: 8:40am On Apr 15, 2012
Re: To Nairaland Atheist. by mkmyers45(m): 8:40am On Apr 15, 2012
maclatunji: Fatie, there is no amount of books you read that will divorce you from God. It is impossible, you know it in the deepest part of the bottom of your heart.

Why do you think atheists continually make efforts to prove the 'non-existence' of God? It is because they are empty and need to antagonise to remain relevant and have any sense of worth.
Ha ha..and theists who make muezzin call every morning?
Re: To Nairaland Atheist. by Callotti: 8:44am On Apr 15, 2012
mkmyers45: Ha ha..and theists who make muezzin call every morning?

Guess who is the first to barge into an Atheist thread?
A 'winch' for Christ bigot!grin

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sTRDRP2n4Sk&feature=related
Re: To Nairaland Atheist. by mkmyers45(m): 8:53am On Apr 15, 2012
Callotti:

Guess who is the first to barge into an Atheist thread?
A 'winch' for Christ bigot!grin

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sTRDRP2n4Sk&feature=related
To God be the glory..Watch out for part 2
Re: To Nairaland Atheist. by Nobody: 8:59am On Apr 15, 2012
I must add though that reading books on its own does not turn anyone to atheist. Books are at best the opinions of the writers.

You become an atheist by questioning the basis and pillars of these religion doctrines and you discover there are just incoherent response, a false explanation,a must-not-ask question that they term blasphemy or you can just deduce that it was not just reasonable. Many of these Gods are being protected on daily basis from scrutiny and genuine criticism, every where in the world including on Nairaland, and yet they are term tolerant. Is it not absurd that a man is fighting for God the supposedly omnipotent, is it not absurd that a man is annoyed whenever he's God is criticized yet same man would preach earnestly that his God is tolerant, patience, everlasting and even quotes scriptures enjoining you to love your enemies? Why on earth would some one kill for a supposedly merciful God in the name of Jihad? What's god waiting for in turning humans from bad to good if he has the power? Does it enjoy pleasure in seeing atrocities of man inhumanity to humanity committed in his name? As the reality of our world has shown, if indeed there is God, then that God can not be omnipotent, can not be omniscience, can not be omnipresence, can not be merciful, can not be a tolerant one. What's the point of having God if such attributes are lacking which makes the concept of God an essentially a man made product re-branded as from the above same way they claim their holy books are divine.

For instance, Nairaland has evolved a system to protect Islam form criticism and what they term attacks. If you create a thread to question the basis of Islam, they say wao, it's on Islam and they promptly move it to Islam for Muslims where the thread is hijacked from the OP and all post whether reasonable or otherwise are then wiped off. If Allah is tolerant, why are the people worshiping him not tolerant of opposing views?

The truth of the matter is many are Christians today because they are born into such family and same is applicable to Muslims as well. But it's responsibilities of individual to question the basis of such religions and dismantle the lies being propagated from time immemorial.
Re: To Nairaland Atheist. by jayriginal: 11:33am On Apr 15, 2012
Sister fatie: I want u guys to recommend some atheists books to me ,i want to help my friends see the truth.

I wouldnt bother if I were you as typically, people cannot be persuaded to see the "truth" on religious matters.
I think you would do better to arm yourself with more plausible answers to the inevitable questions they ask and on which most hinge their basis for believing in god.
Such questions include "what is the origin of life", "how did the Universe come about" etc

Very importantly, if you dont know something, say so. They may wish to use god to fill in that gap but you must assure them that the fact that something is not known does not mean that "god did it".

In my opinion, whereas there are several atheist books available, what you need most is the religious texts themselves. Read them critically.

EDIT:
I see that Bayo has put it quite elegantly.
Re: To Nairaland Atheist. by tbaba1234: 12:09pm On Apr 15, 2012
bayooooooo:
For instance, Nairaland has evolved a system to protect Islam form criticism and what they term attacks. If you create a thread to question the basis of Islam, they say wao, it's on Islam and they promptly move it to Islam for Muslims where the thread is hijacked from the OP and all post whether reasonable or otherwise are then wiped off. If Allah is tolerant, why are the people worshiping him not tolerant of opposing views?

The truth of the matter is many are Christians today because they are born into such family and same is applicable to Muslims as well. But it's responsibilities of individual to question the basis of such religions and dismantle the lies being propagated from time immemorial.

It is one thing to question, it is another to insult and throw around names...

I am not muslim because i was born into a muslim home. Islam provides rational answers to the burning questions of life. The contentions of the atheist are incredibly shallow...
Re: To Nairaland Atheist. by mazaje(m): 12:11pm On Apr 15, 2012
maclatunji: Fatie, there is no amount of books you read that will divorce you from God. It is impossible, you know it in the deepest part of the bottom of your heart.

She knows deep in heart that allah is an imaginary being that lives ONLY in the imaginations of muslims that have been indoctrinated since childhood to accept that hypothesis. . .

Why do muslims ALWAYS try toprove that chrstianity is false, why do muslims ALWAYS use th bible to justify islam? Why d muslims ALWAYS fight for a supposedly omnipotent god?. . islam is peace yet it is responsile for wars all over the world, why? Why do muslims kill apostates?. . .hen will allah come and kill his enemies the jews and christians?. . .why does he depend on muslims to fight for him?. .Is it because he is imaginary?. .
Re: To Nairaland Atheist. by Kay17: 12:41pm On Apr 15, 2012

As long as Faith is the foundation, it will collapse.
Re: To Nairaland Atheist. by Nobody: 12:45pm On Apr 15, 2012
[size=16pt]FROM MISSIONARY TO ATHEIST[/size]

‎"I said, “Oh, there’s a great expression for me to translate.” I built up gradually the ability to translate parts of the bible, and I read to them my translation of part of the Gospel of John one night, and I gave them my testimony. And as you know — anybody who’s got the remotest connection with the Christian church — giving a testimony is supposed to be a powerful thing. You talk about how once I was blind and now I see, how I went from this very bad background to this very good person that I am today.

So I gave them my testimony and I told them about my stepmother committing suicide. When I got done telling them, they all burst out laughing, and I said, “What are you laughing about?” I was really hurt. “Why are you laughing?” They said, “We don’t kill ourselves. You people kill yourselves? What is this?”

We learn that not all the things we thought were universal are universal, not all the things that make people happy are necessary to make people happy, and that the idea that somebody died on a cross 2,000 years ago that nobody ever saw, nobody knows anybody who ever saw, has any relevance to my happiness or my life in any way today.

As I began to think back on it, and reflect at night of all the people I had met, it occurred to me that the most important lessons in my life were from meeting people who were not like me, whether they were Brazilian intellectuals, or people from other religions, or people who had no religion, or people of other races and ethnicities. These were the lessons that had most affected me.

We live in guilt and Christianity takes away our guilt. We have been made lost by religion, in many respects. Finding salvation has become the task of so many Americans because they’ve been told that they’re lost in one form or another by this guilt and the oppression of religion.

That’s why David Livingstone, when he went to Africa as a missionary, said that the first step of missions is to destroy the local culture. Destroy it through capitalism, because as you create a desire for Western goods, they will realize how worthless they are and they will listen to the missionary about their god. That is an effective strategy, by the way.

Read the full text here: http://ffrf.org/publications/freethought-today/articles/the-pirahae-people-who-define-happiness-without-god/
Re: To Nairaland Atheist. by wirinet(m): 2:30pm On Apr 15, 2012
Tell your friends to watch the film "MATRIX"(the first one), it is a very good representation of the way the minds of the masses had been trapped and controlled by "anointed representatives of god(s)" since the beginning of time. It shows how difficult it is to escape the mental prison once entrapped.

Please watch it.

Then have your friends read up about Jim Jones of the Guyana tragedy and David koresh of the branch davidian to appreciate the power of religion on the human mind.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peoples_Temple
Re: To Nairaland Atheist. by Sisterfatie(f): 5:08pm On Apr 15, 2012
Thank u guys for ur contributions. I don't intend to convert my friends i just wish to get them to ask quetions that is the first step to get them sensible. I don't even need nor want them to dump religion quetioning religion is enough for me it will get them thinking.
Re: To Nairaland Atheist. by Dsage1: 5:30pm On Apr 15, 2012
Atheists are notting but the most confused,frustrated&hopeless being/fellows on earth.

The only problem i had with you,is your inability to explained thouroughly the spirit/unseen forces capable of influence our thought,emotions,reasoning,feelngs etc. Hope you all agreed with me that,we have the soul which could not be seen or torch.
If you people dont believes in existence of God,then,base on your high level of reasoning,you should be able answer the following queation.

1.what is the soul?
2.its relationship with body.
3.Is it the essential cause of the body or otherwise.
Re: To Nairaland Atheist. by wirinet(m): 6:19pm On Apr 15, 2012
D sage: Atheists are notting but the most confused,frustrated&hopeless being/fellows on earth.

The only problem i had with you,is your inability to explained thouroughly the spirit/unseen forces capable of influence our thought,emotions,reasoning,feelngs etc. Hope you all agreed with me that,we have the soul which could not be seen or torch.
If you people dont believes in existence of God,then,base on your high level of reasoning,you should be able answer the following queation.

1.what is the soul?
2.its relationship with body.
3.Is it the essential cause of the body or otherwise.

You alleged atheists are confused but your 3 questions shows you to be even more confused. You want to see helplessness and hopelessness? Go to your nearest church (born again) and look at the faces of 90% of the worshipers. There are in hopeless situations seeking one miracle or the other.

Since it is you proposing the soul hypothesis, the onus rest on you to give a definition of what a soul is. But since you insist that it cannot be seen, felt, heard, smelt or tasted, I wonder how you came to the knowledge of its existence.

Finally is this soul just a human Thing, do babies possess it. What about gorillas, monkeys, lions, insects and even trees? Do they have souls?
Re: To Nairaland Atheist. by Nobody: 6:24pm On Apr 15, 2012
wirinet:

You alleged atheists are confused but your 3 questions shows you to be even more confused. You want to see helplessness and hopelessness? Go to your nearest church (born again) and look at the faces of 90% of the worshipers. There are in hopeless situations seeking one miracle or the other.

Since it is you proposing the soul hypothesis, the onus rest on you to give a definition of what a soul is. But since you insist that it cannot be seen, felt, heard, smelt or tasted, I wonder how you came to the knowledge of its existence.

Finally is this soul just a human Thing, do babies possess it. What about gorillas, monkeys, lions, insects and even trees? Do they have souls?
You took the reply out of my fingers cheesy... good one.. expecting a response.
Re: To Nairaland Atheist. by Nobody: 6:24pm On Apr 15, 2012
it is quite telling that you need to read up on the opinions of others to convince your friends of your supposed point of view.

1 Like

Re: To Nairaland Atheist. by mazaje(m): 6:41pm On Apr 15, 2012
tbaba1234:

It is one thing to question, it is another to insult and throw around names...

I am not muslim because i was born into a muslim home. Islam provides rational answers to the burning questions of life. The contentions of the atheist are incredibly shallow...

You are a muslim ONLY because you were born into the religion, if you were born into a christian family in enugu the answers that christianity provides to the burning questions of life will be what you will be espousing here. . .Islam does NOT provide any answer to any thing. . .close to 80% of the worlds population do not accept any of its answers and they are doing extremely well with out any of the answers islam provides. . .Islam provides answers yet some of the worst places to live on earth are islamic countries, eh? interesting. . .
Re: To Nairaland Atheist. by harakiri(m): 6:45pm On Apr 15, 2012
The bible is enough. It is self destruct.
Re: To Nairaland Atheist. by mazaje(m): 6:45pm On Apr 15, 2012
davidylan: it is quite telling that you need to read up on the opinions of others to convince your friends of your supposed point of view.

You own religion is based on what?. . .Is the bible not the writings, thoughts, imaginations, fantasies and superstitions of others?. . .What about the version of god you believe in?. . .Is it not also the ideas of others?. . .I laugh most times when people like you talk. . .I jst laugh at your reasoning. . .You ENTIRE religion and god are ideas of others and you are here yapping nonsense. . .
Re: To Nairaland Atheist. by Purist(m): 7:03pm On Apr 15, 2012

Lol. I find it amusing whenever I see theists make statements like this. Do you guys seriously believe these things you spew at times?
Re: To Nairaland Atheist. by Dsage1: 8:40pm On Apr 15, 2012
@Wirinet,i knew even before asked that no atheist on this thread would be able to answered that questions.Just because,such questions is beyond human understanding/knowledge and that is why you should believe in the existence of supernatural being called God.If you dont understand the existence of soul,then how do you jump into conclusion that God doesnt exist.And that why you will continue to be in the state of confusion and hopeless.

Actually at time,we theist too are confused when our prayers was not answered on time but that doesnt makes us to be hopeless as you atheist because we believes God would still answered such prayer in the long run.

To your questions,every living creature possessed the soul,unless you are talking about non living things.Although the soul cannot be seen or touch but its life,i.e without the soul there wont be life.
Re: To Nairaland Atheist. by Nobody: 8:41pm On Apr 15, 2012
mazaje:

You own religion is based on what?. . .Is the bible not the writings, thoughts, imaginations, fantasies and superstitions of others?. . .What about the version of god you believe in?. . .Is it not also the ideas of others?. . .I laugh most times when people like you talk. . .I jst laugh at your reasoning. . .You ENTIRE religion and god are ideas of others and you are here yapping nonsense. . .

Again desperately comparing apples to oranges.

Pretty much all knowledge is accrued from the opinions and reasoning of others. That you believe you breathe in air is a fact that you were not born with but learnt through the scholarship of others. Ditto for my faith in the bible, agreed it is a compilation of the experiences, faith, belief and opinions of others... i dont merely parrot it, i have enough experiences of my own to be able to independently state my reasons for holding such faith.

The OP on the other hand believes she is an atheist but is virtually unable to convince us of WHY she holds such belief. Rather she wants to read books/arguments she can then regurgitate as her own? Its much the same with many of you atheists here. There is virtually NO independent argument from any of u, just a mishmash of the incoherent thoughts of your gods.... and you dare accuse theists of being brain washed?
Re: To Nairaland Atheist. by tbaba1234: 8:57pm On Apr 15, 2012
davidylan:

Pretty much all knowledge is accrued from the opinions and reasoning of others. That you believe you breathe in air is a fact that you were not born with but learnt through the scholarship of others. Ditto for my faith in the bible, agreed it is a compilation of the experiences, faith, belief and opinions of others... i dont merely parrot it, i have enough experiences of my own to be able to independently state my reasons for holding such faith.

The OP on the other hand believes she is an atheist but is virtually unable to convince us of WHY she holds such belief. Rather she wants to read books/arguments she can then regurgitate as her own? Its much the same with many of you atheists here. There is virtually NO independent argument from any of u, just a mishmash of the incoherent thoughts of your gods.... and you dare accuse theists of being brain washed?

We do not usually agree but you are spot-on here.
Re: To Nairaland Atheist. by LogicMind: 9:00pm On Apr 15, 2012
mkmyers45: To God be the glory..Watch out for part 2

lol
Re: To Nairaland Atheist. by logicboy: 9:43pm On Apr 15, 2012
davidylan:

1) Does the OP represent all atheists?

2) You have no experiences of your own to be able to independently state your reasons for holding your faith. Why? Because you have never seen God or touched him, neither can you prove the existence of God

3) Yes, people learn about science and God/religion in the same way; from other people's reasoning and experiences. However, unlike religion/God, we can test scientific knowledge. I know that air exists because I would suffocate in a vacuum.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Why Do Many Christian Churches Go To Church On Sunday And Not Saturday? / Female Trousers: What If You Are Wrong? / Now The Truth About Roman Catholicism And Islam Connection Part 1 - 3

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 82
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.