Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,562 members, 7,955,084 topics. Date: Saturday, 21 September 2024 at 04:31 PM

Nothing Wrong With Alcohol, Cigarette – Pastor Chris Oyakhilome? <<Rumor?>> - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Nothing Wrong With Alcohol, Cigarette – Pastor Chris Oyakhilome? <<Rumor?>> (46060 Views)

Poll: Do you agree with him?

Yes : 39% (58 votes)
No: 55% (82 votes)
Undecided: 5% (8 votes)
This poll has ended

Picture Of Pastor Chris Oyakhilome In 1997 (At A Camp Meeting) / Pastor Chris Oyakhilome- self-service Is Not A Sin. / Pastor Chris Oyakhilome: Why Do We Never See Videos Of Anita? Youtube? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nothing Wrong With Alcohol, Cigarette – Pastor Chris Oyakhilome? <<Rumor?>> by Emmysteve(m): 9:59pm On Apr 15, 2012
The founder and senior pastor of Christ Embassy, Pastor Chris Oyakhilome on Sunday told all who cared to listen that since the Bible does not expressly condemn both Cigarette and Alcohol, then there is nothing wrong with these stuffs.

It all started when a viewer of his television programme wrote in to enquire from the popular pastor if it was wrong for a 'Christian to work in a Cigarette company'.

Below is the response from Pastor Chris:
There is nothing wrong with Cigarette, the Bible doesn’t say anything was wrong with it... I know a lot of people do complain about it because of the relationship attached to it with some sicknesses like cancer...but if they really believe it is wrong why not ban it totally.

It is the same thing when you have Christians working in the Breweries. The Bible doesn’t condemn alcohol. The only reference made to alcohol in the Bible is ‘do not take too much of wine’. So you see these things has to do with the individual state...if they are convince something is not good they should just ban it..."

What do you think about the Pastor’s position? Share your thoughts.

[size=8pt][/size]

2 Likes

Re: Nothing Wrong With Alcohol, Cigarette – Pastor Chris Oyakhilome? <<Rumor?>> by simmos: 10:26pm On Apr 15, 2012
You don't need every law to be stated in the bible before you know what is good or bad, read galatians 5:19-21 and galatians 6:7-9, smoking and drunken is bad because its the work of the flesh and also uncleanness in God eyes
Re: Nothing Wrong With Alcohol, Cigarette – Pastor Chris Oyakhilome? <<Rumor?>> by Goshen360(m): 10:30pm On Apr 15, 2012
Thank you and God bless you. Somebody just need to tell Chris to stop these heresies he preaches everywhere. This is crazy.

2 Likes

Re: Nothing Wrong With Alcohol, Cigarette – Pastor Chris Oyakhilome? <<Rumor?>> by Image123(m): 10:55pm On Apr 15, 2012
No youtube for this one, you no fit make homepage o.
Even things in the Bible, the pastor no support, how much more things not explicitly stated. Next na suicide bombing is not a sin, since God does not deal with your body but your spirit man, your spirit is the real you. Glory to God somebody.

2 Likes

Re: Nothing Wrong With Alcohol, Cigarette – Pastor Chris Oyakhilome? <<Rumor?>> by brainchild78(m): 11:06pm On Apr 15, 2012
Pastor Chris needs 2 be very careful & pray repentedly not only will his misguided logic lead others to hell, he may also be one of the partakers in eternal damnation.

1 Like

Re: Nothing Wrong With Alcohol, Cigarette – Pastor Chris Oyakhilome? <<Rumor?>> by wesley80(m): 11:23pm On Apr 15, 2012
Goshen360: Thank you and God bless you. Somebody just need to tell Chris to stop these heresies he preaches everywhere. This is crazy.

So you think every smoker and drinker is going to hell and Christians working in such companies are also sinners? What Pastor Chris has said can only be called heresy by the naive as his point is pretty clear to the open minded. Like Apostle Paul said " all things are lawful unto me but I'll not be brought under the control of anything". Ponder on that.

7 Likes

Re: Nothing Wrong With Alcohol, Cigarette – Pastor Chris Oyakhilome? <<Rumor?>> by Image123(m): 11:32pm On Apr 15, 2012
wesley80:

So you think every smoker and drinker is going to hell and Christians working in such companies are also sinners? What Pastor Chris has said can only be called heresy by the naive as his point is pretty clear to the open minded. Like Apostle Paul said " all things are lawful unto me but I'll not be brought under the control of anything". Ponder on that.
How about someone coming to murder you, despoil your whole clan and plunder your goods screaming ALL THINGS ARE LAWFUL UNTO ME?

1 Like

Re: Nothing Wrong With Alcohol, Cigarette – Pastor Chris Oyakhilome? <<Rumor?>> by Goshen360(m): 12:10am On Apr 16, 2012
wesley80:

And exactly are you saying? That it is okay for a Christian to smoke and drink alcohol? Is this what you're saying?
Re: Nothing Wrong With Alcohol, Cigarette – Pastor Chris Oyakhilome? <<Rumor?>> by Nobody: 1:56am On Apr 16, 2012
lol.. i thought Pst AIO had warned you guys to desist from such.. you're spreading the gospel of atheism.... lmao
Re: Nothing Wrong With Alcohol, Cigarette – Pastor Chris Oyakhilome? <<Rumor?>> by wesley80(m): 7:09am On Apr 16, 2012
Goshen360:
And what exactly are you saying? That it is okay for a Christian to smoke and drink alcohol? Is this what you're saying?

What the Pastor meant(if he actually said this) is pretty clear to me and I totally agree with him just as I agreed with him over his stance on maesturbatn but unfortunately, u didn't agree with him then and neither will you now so maybe the right thing to do would be to just drop the argument. If taking alcohol was a sin why would Apostle Paul ask Phillip to "take a little alcohol for the sake of your stomach"? And what again was Jesus' first miracle? No one preaches drinking and smoking in CE, they are habits that are abhorred but abhorrence does not qualify them to be called "sin" does it?
There's a huge difference between an addicted smoker and a person that lights up sometimes just as there's one between a drunkard and an occasional drinker but what we should recognize is that smoking and drinking are actions that can easily become a habit and do not in any way bring Glory to God, strengthen the weak in faith or even nourish the body and are therefor seeming "unchristian" habits and preached against in churches. But does that qualify them to be called SIN? Absolutely not and I'lld love to hear your argument why they are.

Image123:
How about someone coming to murder you, despoil your whole clan and plunder your goods screaming ALL THINGS ARE LAWFUL UNTO ME?

My brother read the scripture I quoted if you know where it is in the Bible and maybe you'll understand that there's no basis for drawing the kind of comparison you just drew.

5 Likes

Re: Nothing Wrong With Alcohol, Cigarette – Pastor Chris Oyakhilome? <<Rumor?>> by Nobody: 7:19am On Apr 16, 2012
wesley80:

What the Pastor meant(if he actually said this) is pretty clear to me and I totally agree with him just as I agreed with him over his stance on maesturbatn but unfortunately, u didn't agree with him then and neither will you now so maybe the right thing to do would be to just drop the argument. If taking alcohol was a sin why would Apostle Paul ask Phillip to "take a little alcohol for the sake of your stomach"? And what again was Jesus' first miracle? No one preaches drinking and smoking in CE, they are habits that are abhorred but abhorrence does not qualify them to be called "sin" does it?
There's a huge difference between an addicted smoker and a person that lights up sometimes just as there's one between a drunkard and an occasional drinker but what we should recognize is that smoking and drinking are actions that can easily become a habit and do not in any way bring Glory to God, strengthen the weak in faith or even nourish the body and are therefor seeming "unchristian" habits and preached against in churches. But does that qualify them to be called SIN? Absolutely not and I'lld love to hear your argument why they are.

If they do not bring glory to God, do they take glory away from God? Does that make them sin then?

Confusion everywhere
Re: Nothing Wrong With Alcohol, Cigarette – Pastor Chris Oyakhilome? <<Rumor?>> by rastamouse: 7:34am On Apr 16, 2012
Has Pastor Chris read in the Bible that drunks will not be in Heaven? How do you get drunk?
Re: Nothing Wrong With Alcohol, Cigarette – Pastor Chris Oyakhilome? <<Rumor?>> by wesley80(m): 8:34am On Apr 16, 2012
musKeeto:
If they do not bring glory to God, do they take glory away from God? Does that make them sin then?

Confusion everywhere

They do not necessarily take glory away from God but as Paul alluded to in 1st Corinth 8 : 9, one has got to be careful not to lead others astray through your well intended actions. Paul said;
"Take heed lest by any means this liberty of yours be a stumbling block to them that are weak"
Our reponsibilities as Christians goes beyond our actions as individuals for we are also responsible for others and that is what makes smoking and drinking wrong, but do not get it twisted, They are not SINS.

2 Likes

Re: Nothing Wrong With Alcohol, Cigarette – Pastor Chris Oyakhilome? <<Rumor?>> by Knight1(m): 9:13am On Apr 16, 2012
rastamouse: Has Pastor Chris read in the Bible that drunks will not be in Heaven? How do you get drunk?

grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Nothing Wrong With Alcohol, Cigarette – Pastor Chris Oyakhilome? <<Rumor?>> by italo: 9:47am On Apr 16, 2012
Drinking alcohol is not as sin; getting drunk is.
As eating is not a sin but gluttony is.

Smoking is not necessarily a sin but its a bad habit.
As staying too close to the TV is not necessarily a sin but a bad habit.

5 Likes

Re: Nothing Wrong With Alcohol, Cigarette – Pastor Chris Oyakhilome? <<Rumor?>> by Afam4eva(m): 10:24am On Apr 16, 2012
Pastor Chris is right. Smoking and drinking is not wrong. Is there anywhere in the bible that says it is?
Re: Nothing Wrong With Alcohol, Cigarette – Pastor Chris Oyakhilome? <<Rumor?>> by rastamouse: 10:25am On Apr 16, 2012
italo: Drinking alcohol is not as sin; getting drunk is.

Except for medical reasons, why would any sane person want to drink alcohol when he does not intend to be drunk? When is one considered drunk? Is it only when his speech is blurred? No one should deceive him or herself. We have the right to everything but it is not everything that is good for us.

When Lamuel's mother was advising him in Proverbs 31:4, she stated that it is not good for kings and princes to drink wine. Note that she did not say to get drunk but to drink wine. Before anyone asks, let me point out that we Christians are Princes in the Kingdom of GOD.

Paul also pointed to us that our bodies are the Temple of the LORD. Why must we defile it with alcohol and cigarette when the LORD intends to stay in our heart.

Alcohol and smoking is not for us Christians!

6 Likes

Re: Nothing Wrong With Alcohol, Cigarette – Pastor Chris Oyakhilome? <<Rumor?>> by Afam4eva(m): 10:27am On Apr 16, 2012
rastamouse:

Except for medical reasons, why would any sane person want to drink alcohol when he does not intend to be drunk? When is one considered drunk? Is it only when his speech is blurred? No one should deceive him or herself. We have the right to everything but it is not everything that is good for us.

When Lamuel's mother was advising him in Proverbs 31:4, she stated that it is not good for kings and princes to drink wine. Note that she did not say to get drunk but to drink wine. Before anyone asks, let me point out that we Christians are Princes in the Kingdom of GOD.

Paul also pointed to us that our bodies are the Temple of the LORD. Why must we defile it with alcohol and cigarette when the LORD intends to stay in our heart.

Alcohol and smoking is not for us Christians!

Do you know that too much of water makes you drunk. Does that mean drinking water is a sin?
Re: Nothing Wrong With Alcohol, Cigarette – Pastor Chris Oyakhilome? <<Rumor?>> by brainpulse: 10:28am On Apr 16, 2012
italo: Drinking alcohol is not as sin; getting drunk is.

So where do people with bad habits go? Heaven, Hell, Hill, paradise
Re: Nothing Wrong With Alcohol, Cigarette – Pastor Chris Oyakhilome? <<Rumor?>> by rastamouse: 10:32am On Apr 16, 2012
afam4eva:

Do you know that too much of water makes you drunk. Does that mean drinking water is a sin?

Do you drink water with the intention to get drunk shocked? What logic is that? Why will anyone drink alcohol?
Re: Nothing Wrong With Alcohol, Cigarette – Pastor Chris Oyakhilome? <<Rumor?>> by brainpulse: 10:33am On Apr 16, 2012
afam4eva:

Mr man dont add or subtract from the scriptures i beg. The bible says don't be drunk with wine not water. You cant deliberately be drunk with water when there is nothing to enjoy from too much water. Those that are drunk are satisfying the wants and lust of the flesh which doesn't testify and bring honor to the glory of God

1 Like

Re: Nothing Wrong With Alcohol, Cigarette – Pastor Chris Oyakhilome? <<Rumor?>> by rastamouse: 10:35am On Apr 16, 2012
afam4eva:

You know that what you said is just half the truth. The whole ocean cannot get you drunk if you don't have a hangover from the prior night. Intoxication is not always equal to being drunk.
Re: Nothing Wrong With Alcohol, Cigarette – Pastor Chris Oyakhilome? <<Rumor?>> by brainpulse: 10:37am On Apr 16, 2012
afam4eva:

You are like pastor Chris that confuse young Christians with their doctrines as advice from Paul to Timothy the beloved in 1Tim 1-2. This were like doctrines that Alexandra was bringing to the early church that Paul frowned against
Re: Nothing Wrong With Alcohol, Cigarette – Pastor Chris Oyakhilome? <<Rumor?>> by Afam4eva(m): 10:37am On Apr 16, 2012
rastamouse:

Do you drink water with the intention to get drunk shocked? What logic is that? Why will anyone drink alcohol?

Who drinks alcohol to get drunk?

1 Like

Re: Nothing Wrong With Alcohol, Cigarette – Pastor Chris Oyakhilome? <<Rumor?>> by brainpulse: 10:40am On Apr 16, 2012
afam4eva:

Whats your point. please be consistent and lets know what u stand for
Re: Nothing Wrong With Alcohol, Cigarette – Pastor Chris Oyakhilome? <<Rumor?>> by rastamouse: 10:41am On Apr 16, 2012
afam4eva:

Afam I think you are confused. Come back later grin
Re: Nothing Wrong With Alcohol, Cigarette – Pastor Chris Oyakhilome? <<Rumor?>> by Afam4eva(m): 10:47am On Apr 16, 2012
rastamouse:

Afam I think you are confused. Come back later grin

Answer my question. Who goes into a bar to get drunk?

brainpulse:
Whats your point. please be consistent and lets know what u stand for

My point is, drinking in itself is not a sin but getting drunk might be.

1 Like

Re: Nothing Wrong With Alcohol, Cigarette – Pastor Chris Oyakhilome? <<Rumor?>> by wesley80(m): 11:08am On Apr 16, 2012
rastamouse:

Except for medical reasons, why would any sane person want to drink alcohol when he does not intend to be drunk?

Oh so you mean Christ turned water into wine to get all those good people drunk at the wedding? Seriously now.

1 Like

Re: Nothing Wrong With Alcohol, Cigarette – Pastor Chris Oyakhilome? <<Rumor?>> by deleo16(m): 12:06pm On Apr 16, 2012
let me start from the definition sin "SIN is anything done out of God love" to me. alcohol is not a sin reason why pastors and other believers warns against it is because it can lead to a bad habit and devil take advantage of this bad habit and can lead to sin through addiction of it example drukeness which can effect the individual behaviour leading to anger,fighting in bars,etc likewise smoking lead to cancer and all that,thats why they warned the individual so who will smoking and drunkness going to effect U and U not thoes that dont take it. alcohol are present in or everday blood tonic and drug ,so are we going to say thats a sin also.

1 Like

Re: Nothing Wrong With Alcohol, Cigarette – Pastor Chris Oyakhilome? <<Rumor?>> by rastamouse: 12:23pm On Apr 16, 2012
wesley80:

Oh so you mean Christ turned water into wine to get all those good people drunk at the wedding? Seriously now.

Did JESUS drink some of the wine?
Re: Nothing Wrong With Alcohol, Cigarette – Pastor Chris Oyakhilome? <<Rumor?>> by Afam4eva(m): 12:25pm On Apr 16, 2012
rastamouse:

Did JESUS drink some of the wine?

What has this got to do with what he asked. Stop being ridiculous abeg.

1 Like

Re: Nothing Wrong With Alcohol, Cigarette – Pastor Chris Oyakhilome? <<Rumor?>> by aletheia(m): 12:54pm On Apr 16, 2012
afam4eva:

Plenty people I know of. . .what is your point exactly?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

Nigeria’s Rich Mega Churches Pay Pastors Poor Salaries - The Punch / Christ Embassy Celebrates 30th Anniversary (Before & After Photos Of Pastors) / "Drinking Alcohol Is Not A Sin" - Omokri Quotes Bible Verse

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 55
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.