Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,573 members, 7,812,858 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 08:48 PM

How Long Should Courtship Last? - Romance - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Romance / How Long Should Courtship Last? (14128 Views)

How Long Should A Guy Woo A Girl Before Giving Up? / How Long Should An Ideal Steady Relationship Last Before Marriage?? / How Long Should A Courtship Last? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

How Long Should Courtship Last? by mikedeoye(m): 5:48pm On Jul 20, 2005
Hi all, just want to hear your views on this!

"For how longĀ  (duration) do you think you will have to court your intended partner before marriage?" Or maybe I should rephrase the question as "what is your ideal time length for your courtship/relationship before marriage?"

Some people have suggested a minmum of 3 months while some say minimum of 2 years. What do you think personally?

As for me, I'm particularly uncomfortable with long relationships. Anything more than 1 year seem to be getting too long for me.
Re: How Long Should Courtship Last? by sade(f): 6:05pm On Jul 20, 2005
Too long courtship might be boring at times because even when you court for 100 years you can't be sure you know everything about your partner. There are some things about your partner you'll get to know even after the wedding so I don't really see any sense in long courtship. Being in courtship for long might be due to some circumstances, but I think two years is not that bad.

I leave the rest to Nairaland members.
Re: How Long Should Courtship Last? by sage(m): 8:30pm On Jul 20, 2005
1 yr is ok
Re: How Long Should Courtship Last? by jogego(m): 8:34pm On Jul 20, 2005
Dont believe there shd be a time frame for this
Re: How Long Should Courtship Last? by hotangel2(f): 8:34pm On Jul 20, 2005
As long as you want.
Re: How Long Should Courtship Last? by hopy2005(f): 11:09am On Jul 21, 2005
I will say tht it depends on both party,
Re: How Long Should Courtship Last? by CimonJorr(m): 11:16am On Jul 21, 2005
When you say courtship.. are u implying that the relationship is already on??
Re: How Long Should Courtship Last? by Seun(m): 12:43pm On Jul 21, 2005
Courtship should refer to when the relationship is already on. That is after she has said 'yes' to your marriage proposal. I don't believe in wasting time either; it is not compulsory for you to wait until you're ready to start 'breeding' before you get married! The moment you're ready to combine your life together, do it.

1 Like

Re: How Long Should Courtship Last? by buddy(m): 12:56am On Jul 22, 2005
You will never know all about your to be, if thats why you want a long courtship, so i say just get on with it when you have what you need to do it.
Long courtships dont guarantee a long and happy marriage, so whats the point?
Re: How Long Should Courtship Last? by Chxta(m): 11:35am On Jul 25, 2005
Depends on a lot of things...
Re: How Long Should Courtship Last? by DEKING3(m): 1:05pm On Jul 25, 2005
I would advise b/w 6 mths to 1 yr. But it depends on a lot of things. For instance, the levels of one or the two of them i.e either working or not, one party schooling, etc.
Re: How Long Should Courtship Last? by twinkledew(f): 1:45pm On Jul 25, 2005
i do not know. never thought about it b4.****dipest what do u think.lol
Re: How Long Should Courtship Last? by dablessed(f): 7:17pm On Jul 25, 2005
Since its courtship, i.e she has agreed to marry you - what next? Wedding preparations and other intimate marital talks.

Minimum 6 months, maximum two years.

Bear in mind, other partinent factors which could vary from individual to individual.
Re: How Long Should Courtship Last? by yomidipset4eva(m): 9:09pm On Jul 25, 2005
twinkledew:

i do not know. never thought about it before.****dipest what do you think.lol

it should last till both parties are ready for the ultimate commitment , what's ur opinion twinkle wink
Re: How Long Should Courtship Last? by twinkledew(f): 1:43pm On Jul 26, 2005
25 years. just kidding. just felt like taking a mickey out of some people today
Re: How Long Should Courtship Last? by CalabarMan(m): 1:31pm On Jul 27, 2005
If courtship is the period between when the babe agrees to marry you (after the guy has proposed) and the time it takes to do the wedding, then I think that period should be very short 1 to 3 months depending on how fast you can put all the arrangements in place.

Now if relationship on the other hand is the period of time it takes to woo the babe, start dating to the time you ask her to marry you, then the period of time is variable as there are so many factors involved.

The problem most guys have is that from the first day they meet the babe they start proposing and telling her they want to marry, that to me is crap, never promise what you can't deliver, and you can't deliver if you don't know the babe that is why you need to date first. How long you date depends on the parties involved.

I strongly believe that by the time a man ask a babe to marry him he has already made up his mind and decided that this is his life time partner as such there is no need for further delay just get married as soon as possible.

A guy should never ever promise a babe marriage if his intention is just to sleep with her and move on, it is totally deceitful, unacceptable and unforgivable
Re: How Long Should Courtship Last? by Latoya(f): 1:06pm On Jul 28, 2005
As long as you think and feel you 've known the person very well
Re: How Long Should Courtship Last? by gina34(f): 2:09pm On Aug 02, 2005
As a christian i would say 6 moths to a year
Re: How Long Should Courtship Last? by smartsoft(m): 3:06am On Aug 06, 2005
well i would rather say if you are ready to marry your partner then u can court for long.. don't see notting wrong with that.
Re: How Long Should Courtship Last? by gina34(f): 2:21pm On Aug 08, 2005
But ain't we forgetting something here, smartsoft, delay is dangerous.
Re: How Long Should Courtship Last? by DEKING3(m): 3:07pm On Aug 08, 2005
gina34:

As a christian
Re: How Long Should Courtship Last? by gina34(f): 11:53am On Aug 10, 2005
@De-king tongue
Re: How Long Should Courtship Last? by DEKING3(m): 12:17pm On Aug 10, 2005
@gina34, What this time? cheesy
Re: How Long Should Courtship Last? by chrisd(m): 5:19pm On Mar 06, 2006
3 months is crazy
Re: How Long Should Courtship Last? by Lateefah: 5:37pm On Mar 06, 2006
For me, i will say too long courtship is rubbish. Once you have discorver your partner and u've agreed to marry each other, they why delaying urself. Get married ontime and enjoy ur marital life.

1 Like

Re: How Long Should Courtship Last? by rubby(f): 7:37pm On Mar 09, 2006
i think 2 yrs os good enuff, but when u start having fights constantly over nothin, its time dear to hook-up finally grin
Re: How Long Should Courtship Last? by Seun(m): 3:53am On Mar 10, 2006
When you have constant fights, it's a time to break up and [i]not [/i]hook up! shocked
Re: How Long Should Courtship Last? by chrisd(m): 1:02pm On Mar 10, 2006
That explains divorce in pentecostal churches. That must be it.
Re: How Long Should Courtship Last? by chrisd(m): 1:03pm On Mar 10, 2006
In other words how long should we wait before we can take it no more and want to just have sex and get it over with. grin Here it seems the limit is about two years or less. grin grin grin grin
Re: How Long Should Courtship Last? by Thagodfada(m): 1:48pm On Mar 10, 2006
My analogy is this and please you college people out there correct me if I'm wrong.

It takes a student ONE SEMESTER or TWO to finish a course (e.g. chemistry)

OK, if it takes almost one year to study and pass a course, what makes you think you can study a person and find out if he/she is the right person for you in 1-3 months!

Divorce statistics will only keep going up.
Re: How Long Should Courtship Last? by chrisd(m): 1:50pm On Mar 10, 2006
I agree 700% percent with this one.
Re: How Long Should Courtship Last? by ThoniaSlim(f): 4:34pm On Mar 10, 2006
wen u ave taken time to kno each other and decide tie the big knot.u got to kno the kind of person u want to marry,so u dont have problems later in the marriage.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Tell A Nairalander "I Love You" / How Can I Chase Away This Naughty Girl Frequenting My Home / Do African Men Prefer Bigger Women

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 27
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.