Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,607 members, 7,812,993 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 02:06 AM

House Of Reps. Members Show GEJ How To Say 'No' To 'Greek Gifts' - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / House Of Reps. Members Show GEJ How To Say 'No' To 'Greek Gifts' (8332 Views)

Buhari Hosts House Of Reps Members At The Villa (Photos) / Unveiling The 21 Women Elected Senators & House Of Reps. Members In Nigeria / 2015: Nigerian Senators & Reps. Members With 3rd, 4th, 5th Term Tickets (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

House Of Reps. Members Show GEJ How To Say 'No' To 'Greek Gifts' by maclatunji: 8:54am On Apr 24, 2012
Lawmakers Refuse Trojan Horse Gift from Subsidy Firms

Fifteen embers of the House of Representatives have rejected a foreign trip organized and financed by oil marketers. The oil marketers, who also benefitted from the subsidy payments had planned to fly the lawmakers to Houston on an all-expenses paid trip to attend a ‘conference’.

The lawmakers, refused the trip, not wanting to compromise their integrity or the integrity of the entire House at a sensitive time like this, when their would-be sponsors are being investigated on serious charges of graft bordering on gross economic sabotage.

An unidentified source told Nation News, “The practice in the past was for one or two members to be participating in the conference. But, some oil marketers offered to sponsor 15 members of the House this year.

“Following the coincidence of the sponsorship with the release of the report of the Ad Hoc Committee, we suspected a plot to scandalize the House leadership.

“But the selected 15 members have met with the Speaker and decided to reject any sponsorship from oil marketers. The House may not even go to the conference, if it is extremely necessary. And where there is need to be represented, the House will foot the bill.”

http://businessnews.com.ng/2012/04/24/lawmakers-refuse-trojan-horse-gift-from-subsidy-firms/?utm_source=&utm_medium=twitter&utm_campaign=lawmakers-refuse-trojan-horse-gift-from-subsidy-firms
Re: House Of Reps. Members Show GEJ How To Say 'No' To 'Greek Gifts' by IykeD(m): 9:53am On Apr 24, 2012
Ok! We are getting somewhere but I hope they don't go back to accept the "trip" in like sum.
Re: House Of Reps. Members Show GEJ How To Say 'No' To 'Greek Gifts' by member479760: 10:28am On Apr 24, 2012
hope the plane crash and kill all of dem.

2 Likes

Re: House Of Reps. Members Show GEJ How To Say 'No' To 'Greek Gifts' by delvinmaya(m): 10:33am On Apr 24, 2012
abeg am more interested in the debate.who knows if nta will televise it
Re: House Of Reps. Members Show GEJ How To Say 'No' To 'Greek Gifts' by robinhoodd2(m): 10:33am On Apr 24, 2012
i cant but to just wonder whether this "okija juju" or whatever "it's" name is,is human or not,its inability to comprehend simple statement needed urgent attention at the pshychiatric wing of a modern hospital.peace
Re: House Of Reps. Members Show GEJ How To Say 'No' To 'Greek Gifts' by canuck(m): 10:35am On Apr 24, 2012
Did the lawmakers prefer cash?

2 Likes

Re: House Of Reps. Members Show GEJ How To Say 'No' To 'Greek Gifts' by Nobody: 10:39am On Apr 24, 2012
Not accepting the gift does not erase the fact that they re all corrupt.

2 Likes

Re: House Of Reps. Members Show GEJ How To Say 'No' To 'Greek Gifts' by Nobody: 10:41am On Apr 24, 2012
delvinmaya: abeg am more interested in the debate.who knows if nta will televise it

The denied televising the debate.
Re: House Of Reps. Members Show GEJ How To Say 'No' To 'Greek Gifts' by maclatunji: 10:52am On Apr 24, 2012
AJJ: Not accepting the gift does not erase the fact that they re all corrupt.

My post does not say they are or are not corrupt, it simply states that they did not accept this 'Greek gift' when they could have gone for the 'conference' and explain to us how important it was for Nigeria when it means that they are severely compromised.

You see we are not debating the propriety or otherwise of accepting such an offer here. Why? They rejected it in totality but what do we get from our dear President? Explanations and theories on why he was the major influence in getting his community's church renovated by a company (under investigation for environmental degradation) by his own admission.

It is a noteworthy point that rebukes Mr. President by itself.
Re: House Of Reps. Members Show GEJ How To Say 'No' To 'Greek Gifts' by Nobody: 11:11am On Apr 24, 2012
Maclatunji; i get u.
They didnt compromise on this issue. I just hope they should always do that in all issues important to the citizens.
Re: House Of Reps. Members Show GEJ How To Say 'No' To 'Greek Gifts' by maclatunji: 11:21am On Apr 24, 2012
AJJ: Maclatunji; i get u.
They didnt compromise on this issue. I just hope they should always do that in all issues important to the citizens.

Thank you, 'getting it' seems to be a quality that is in short supply these days.
Re: House Of Reps. Members Show GEJ How To Say 'No' To 'Greek Gifts' by jmaine: 11:27am On Apr 24, 2012
Faulty thread headline. . .Importing GEJ to give your thread the much needed flesh . . .Why not tell that to the probe panelists who were recently exposed by the SEC Boss . . . . . .
Re: House Of Reps. Members Show GEJ How To Say 'No' To 'Greek Gifts' by ortopazz(m): 11:29am On Apr 24, 2012
well if thz is what me finks it is, it's gud o! Buh am guessing thz wil wake those niggas up and let em' knw that My coun3 is changing 4 real!
Re: House Of Reps. Members Show GEJ How To Say 'No' To 'Greek Gifts' by Demdem(m): 11:33am On Apr 24, 2012
I hope the Retardeen will learn one or two things from this. he will be better respected if he is not in the habit of receiving "Church Gift" in Public from a rogue contractor.
Re: House Of Reps. Members Show GEJ How To Say 'No' To 'Greek Gifts' by maclatunji: 11:37am On Apr 24, 2012
jmaine: Faulty thread headline. . .Importing GEJ to give your thread the much needed flesh . . .Why not tell that to the probe panelists who were recently exposed by the SEC Boss . . . . . .

Demdem: I hope the Retardeen will learn one or two things from this. he will be better respected if he is not in the habit of receiving "Church Gift" in Public from a rogue contractor.
Re: House Of Reps. Members Show GEJ How To Say 'No' To 'Greek Gifts' by jmaine: 11:38am On Apr 24, 2012
jmaine: Faulty thread headline. . .Importing GEJ to give your thread the much needed flesh . . .Why not tell that to the probe panelists who were recently exposed by the SEC Boss . . . . . .
Re: House Of Reps. Members Show GEJ How To Say 'No' To 'Greek Gifts' by OmawumiMegbele(m): 11:40am On Apr 24, 2012
Re: House Of Reps. Members Show GEJ How To Say 'No' To 'Greek Gifts' by Rastamann: 11:53am On Apr 24, 2012
Who is deceiving who?

1 Like

Re: House Of Reps. Members Show GEJ How To Say 'No' To 'Greek Gifts' by yuzedo: 11:57am On Apr 24, 2012
nakedall: hope the plane crash and kill all of dem.
grin grin grin grin grin grin Nigger be vexing! grin grin grin grin grin grin grin
Re: House Of Reps. Members Show GEJ How To Say 'No' To 'Greek Gifts' by sirp2007: 12:05pm On Apr 24, 2012
delvinmaya: abeg am more interested in the debate.who knows if nta will televise it
D DEBATE IS CURRENTLY ON,CHECK CHANNELS TV.
Re: House Of Reps. Members Show GEJ How To Say 'No' To 'Greek Gifts' by sirp2007: 12:07pm On Apr 24, 2012
IykeD: Ok! We are getting somewhere but I hope they don't go back to accept the "trip" in like sum.

Na wah 4 9ja.atleast lets commend them on this.
Re: House Of Reps. Members Show GEJ How To Say 'No' To 'Greek Gifts' by Ess: 12:15pm On Apr 24, 2012
Re: House Of Reps. Members Show GEJ How To Say 'No' To 'Greek Gifts' by Demdem(m): 12:34pm On Apr 24, 2012
Ess: LIVE Debate on http://www.channelstv.com/home/live/

This farouk Lawan is really a short man devil. i love him.

1 Like

Re: House Of Reps. Members Show GEJ How To Say 'No' To 'Greek Gifts' by tchaik(m): 12:48pm On Apr 24, 2012
Pls can you guyz update us on the debate?
Dnt have access to TV right now.
@demdem,ess,and others. Abeg
Trust Farouk Lawan, one of the few less corrupt MP
Re: House Of Reps. Members Show GEJ How To Say 'No' To 'Greek Gifts' by Demdem(m): 12:52pm On Apr 24, 2012
tchaik: Pls can you guyz update us on the debate?
Dnt have access to TV right now.
@demdem,ess,and others. Abeg
Trust Farouk Lawan, one of the few less corrupt MP

am also presently watching it through this. U dont need a TV. Some thugs are presently walking out.

http://www.channelstv.com/home/live/
Re: House Of Reps. Members Show GEJ How To Say 'No' To 'Greek Gifts' by TheShopKeeper(m): 1:04pm On Apr 24, 2012
I bet they would have invented another way to collect the 'Greek Gifts', are they not the 'honourables'.
Re: House Of Reps. Members Show GEJ How To Say 'No' To 'Greek Gifts' by tchaik(m): 1:08pm On Apr 24, 2012
Demdem:

am also presently watching it through this. U dont need a TV. Some thugs are presently walking out.

http://www.channelstv.com/home/live/
Omo na BB I dey use, Glo will finish my crdt if I try am. Lol
Re: House Of Reps. Members Show GEJ How To Say 'No' To 'Greek Gifts' by Demdem(m): 1:18pm On Apr 24, 2012
tchaik:
Omo na BB I dey use, Glo will finish my crdt if I try am. Lol

eeeyah, pele. The house is currently looking into the recommendations. now at Recommendation 10.
Re: House Of Reps. Members Show GEJ How To Say 'No' To 'Greek Gifts' by thehomer: 1:27pm On Apr 24, 2012
maclatunji: Lawmakers Refuse Trojan Horse Gift from Subsidy Firms

Fifteen embers of the House of Representatives have rejected a foreign trip organized and financed by oil marketers. The oil marketers, who also benefitted from the subsidy payments had planned to fly the lawmakers to Houston on an all-expenses paid trip to attend a ‘conference’.

The lawmakers, refused the trip, not wanting to compromise their integrity or the integrity of the entire House at a sensitive time like this, when their would-be sponsors are being investigated on serious charges of graft bordering on gross economic sabotage.

An unidentified source told Nation News, “The practice in the past was for one or two members to be participating in the conference. But, some oil marketers offered to sponsor 15 members of the House this year.

“Following the coincidence of the sponsorship with the release of the report of the Ad Hoc Committee, we suspected a plot to scandalize the House leadership.

“But the selected 15 members have met with the Speaker and decided to reject any sponsorship from oil marketers. The House may not even go to the conference, if it is extremely necessary. And where there is need to be represented, the House will foot the bill.”

http://businessnews.com.ng/2012/04/24/lawmakers-refuse-trojan-horse-gift-from-subsidy-firms/?utm_source=&utm_medium=twitter&utm_campaign=lawmakers-refuse-trojan-horse-gift-from-subsidy-firms

So who are the marketers that offered to pay for this trip? Knowing who they are will help us decide just how sincere this rejection is because it will effectively burn the bridges allowing a return to these oil firms.

Edit: And who are the lawmakers that rejected this gift?
Re: House Of Reps. Members Show GEJ How To Say 'No' To 'Greek Gifts' by tchaik(m): 1:29pm On Apr 24, 2012
This panel will end up like the rest: NOTHING. Money will exchange hands, some pple will be arrested(publicly) and released (secretly).

(1) (2) (Reply)

Bola Tinubu's Health In Unfavourable Condition; Fails To Recognise Family In US / Bala Mohammed Denies Defecting To APC / Senatorial Road Project: Bayelsa Woos Shell, Agip, Aiteo With Tax Holiday

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 29
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.