Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,144 members, 7,818,433 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 03:40 PM

How Supportive Was Your Significant Other While You Were Pregnant? - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / How Supportive Was Your Significant Other While You Were Pregnant? (21995 Views)

How Supportive Is Your Husband At Home? / What Lil White Lies Do You Tell Your Significant Other? / What Would You Like For Christmas from your significant other (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

How Supportive Was Your Significant Other While You Were Pregnant? by Nobody: 8:01pm On Apr 26, 2012
One of my biggest fear of pregnancy is how some husbands and men in general neglet their women while they are pregnant. I thought I had start a thread just to ask women who have been thru pregnancy, when you were expecting, was your significant other supportive of you? As in loving, caring, and so on.
Re: How Supportive Was Your Significant Other While You Were Pregnant? by agiboma(f): 8:11pm On Apr 26, 2012
Well if i am being completly honest here which I always am on this NL and it gets me into more trouble most of the times shocked shocked shocked. Anyways to answer your question no he was not, To this day he regrets it and tries to make up for his behaviour during my pregnancy swearing an oath he will never treat me that way again. Also apologizing to his son for the way he treated his mother. His support could have prevented a lot of issues i had in the last pregnancy but thats another thread altogether.

5 Likes

Re: How Supportive Was Your Significant Other While You Were Pregnant? by Nobody: 8:23pm On Apr 26, 2012
agiboma: Well if i am being completly honest here which I always am on this NL and it gets me into more trouble most of the times shocked shocked shocked. Anyways to answer your question no he was not, To this day he regrets it and tries to make up for his behaviour during my pregnancy swearing an oath he will never treat me that way again. Also apologizing to his son for the way he treated his mother. His support could have prevented a lot of issues i had in the last pregnancy but thats another thread altogether.

Thanks for being honest. I have seen such many cases, eventhough the man love his wife/woman very deary, doing pregnancy he just changes.
Re: How Supportive Was Your Significant Other While You Were Pregnant? by ronkebp(f): 8:30pm On Apr 26, 2012
Mine was very supportive oooo, i cannot lie....i was not working through out my pregnancy and i showed him pepper with crying this minute and jumping the next minute, though, did not have any morning sickness nothing, and i was not craving bad either, except for the third month that i was inlove with noodles and boiled egg, he used to come home with packs of indomie, so that i don't have anything to complain about, apart from that!!!! he was really supportive.

1 Like

Re: How Supportive Was Your Significant Other While You Were Pregnant? by EfemenaXY: 8:34pm On Apr 26, 2012
rokiatu: One of my biggest fear of pregnancy is how some husbands and men in general neglet their women while they are pregnant. I thought I had start a thread just to ask women who have been thru pregnancy, when you were expecting, was your significant other supportive of you? As in loving, caring, and so on.

Very supportive, especially for the last pregnancy which was high risk.

I think most men perceived to be "non-supportive" by/of their spouse probably do not understand the risks associated with pregnancy (due to ignorance perhaps?); but once made aware through enlightment would readily do all they possibly can to support their spouse.

Afterall, it's their child and I doubt they wouldn't want mother and baby to come through safely.

2 Likes

Re: How Supportive Was Your Significant Other While You Were Pregnant? by Nobody: 9:49pm On Apr 26, 2012

18 Likes

Re: How Supportive Was Your Significant Other While You Were Pregnant? by feminineA: 10:54pm On Apr 26, 2012
Hmmm.... M y precious husband,very very supportive. Comes back home late yet still listens to all my yarns on hjow my day went. Won't forget the day rain beat me and when he got back narrated by ordeal to him. He appologized and started massaging my body for me. All of a sudden I said 'is that how to massage somebody?pls don't break my bone'. He looked at me confused like what really is her problem?
Too many thing o. Really showed him pepper but the excitement over rides all my nasty and inconsiderate behaviours

3 Likes

Re: How Supportive Was Your Significant Other While You Were Pregnant? by Nobody: 4:52am On Apr 27, 2012
chaircover: Roki please dont be scared. I was really pampered & if not that I have high risk pregnancies I wouldn't mind being pregnant every year wink

The way that man treated me during pregnancy has paid upfront for every single "misbehavior or misbehavement" grin that he can ever do to me. He is indeed a gem.

With my last, every morning before he set off for work, he would cook me yam and eggs and every evening it was Amala and okro. When he gets back in the evening, He would run me a bath, massage my back and my feet. I used to have the most weird cravings and most evenings he will stop by ASDA to pick up my latest request. I wanted my mum to stay with me to look after me but he said no; he got me pregnant and it was his responsibility to look after me.

I suffered from severe Hyperemesis gravidarum during both pregnancies with a quite a number of admissions in hospital for dehydration. I also suffered from painful PGP, however He was always at my side and he attended every single ante natal & physio appointment with me. I had more appointments than normal due to my medical condition, and he soon became a well known face in the maternity unit embarassed

I was a most grouchy, tearful & difficult pregnant woman but he never once lost his temper. No smells were allowed in the house, because it made me feel even more sick so he was not allowed to use any strong aftershave etc but he never complained and I remember the day he decided to add flavor to the okro and added locust beans I nearly committed murder that day.

The guy really tried and I still sometimes feel guilty at the way I behaved embarassed but it wasn't my fault sha . . . it was the hormones.

Goodness me! what a gem of a man.

Thanks everyone for the contribution.
Re: How Supportive Was Your Significant Other While You Were Pregnant? by Nobody: 7:00am On Apr 27, 2012
This is knowledge. My orientation is now rebranded.
Re: How Supportive Was Your Significant Other While You Were Pregnant? by Tobiegal(f): 8:39am On Apr 27, 2012
My hubby was supportive as well.
Though, sometimes, i was very cranky n all dat, but he just knew when to step down and even stay away some.
what i loved d most was the regular back massage... cheesy It was like it shd neva stop.
When i was due and d baby wasn't showing up... i told him of my decision to get induced, and he was supportive.
He was by my side when our baby was born... couldn't ave done it without him.
Now, am not sure i can go down that road again without him by my side...

1 Like

Re: How Supportive Was Your Significant Other While You Were Pregnant? by Analytical(m): 9:12am On Apr 27, 2012
@Chaircover, what a husband you have! Reminds me of myself cool You don't have to feel guilty. I have seen the wonder of hormones 3 times!

1 Like

Re: How Supportive Was Your Significant Other While You Were Pregnant? by Analytical(m): 9:20am On Apr 27, 2012
@Topic, I don't normally boast but permit me to feel proud of myself a little today!

There are very few periods in a marriage (if any!) that can beat the way a hubby treats his wife in pregnancy. This is when a man's patience, attitude, tolerance, self-control, long-suffering, gentleness, love, understanding, compassion, in fact the whole gamut of the virtues (or vices!) you can think of, is put to the utmost test! Happy is that man who comes out of it intact and with distinction, for he will forever earn the respect, admiration and worship of his wife!

Will be back in a moment. . .

9 Likes

Re: How Supportive Was Your Significant Other While You Were Pregnant? by agiboma(f): 9:21am On Apr 27, 2012
chaircover: Roki please dont be scared. I was really pampered & if not that I have high risk pregnancies I wouldn't mind being pregnant every year wink

The way that man treated me during pregnancy has paid upfront for every single "misbehavior or misbehavement" grin that he can ever do to me. He is indeed a gem.

With my last, every morning before he set off for work, he would cook me yam and eggs and every evening it was Amala and okro. When he gets back in the evening, He would run me a bath, massage my back and my feet. I used to have the most weird cravings and most evenings he will stop by ASDA to pick up my latest request. I wanted my mum to stay with me to look after me but he said no; he got me pregnant and it was his responsibility to look after me.

I suffered from severe Hyperemesis gravidarum during both pregnancies with a quite a number of admissions in hospital for dehydration. I also suffered from painful PGP, however He was always at my side and he attended every single ante natal & physio appointment with me. I had more appointments than normal due to my medical condition, and he soon became a well known face in the maternity unit embarassed

I was a most grouchy, tearful & difficult pregnant woman but he never once lost his temper. No smells were allowed in the house, because it made me feel even more sick so he was not allowed to use any strong aftershave etc but he never complained and I remember the day he decided to add flavor to the okro and added locust beans I nearly committed murder that day.

The guy really tried and I still sometimes feel guilty at the way I behaved embarassed but it wasn't my fault sha . . . it was the hormones.

What a treat, does he have any brothers i got a younger sister, and we are complete opposites wink
Re: How Supportive Was Your Significant Other While You Were Pregnant? by Smilenw(f): 10:18am On Apr 27, 2012
One of the most wonderful experience I've ever had smiley I'll be ever grateful to him for the way he took care of me. Was literally pampered to bits ! Not just hubby, his entire family...still r'ber how embarrassed(n proud) I used to be during each ante natal visits coz of the army that accompanied me smiley I thank my God for giving me such a wonderful family smiley

3 Likes

Re: How Supportive Was Your Significant Other While You Were Pregnant? by uwani(f): 10:38am On Apr 27, 2012
I am a very very very very grumpy and quick tempered pregnant woman, can be very happy now but in the next minute i'm entirely something else, but my hubby is really the best(est) among all, he pamper and does practically everything for me things you cant even imagine, I really do thank God for him.

1 Like

Re: How Supportive Was Your Significant Other While You Were Pregnant? by mizne1: 10:44am On Apr 27, 2012
Efemena_xy:

Very supportive, especially for the last pregnancy which was high risk.

I think most men perceived to be "non-supportive" by/of their spouse probably do not understand the risks associated with pregnancy (due to ignorance perhaps?); but once made aware through enlightment would readily do all they possibly can to support their spouse.

Afterall, it's their child and I doubt they wouldn't want mother and baby to come through safely.
[img]http://www.spgames.info/g.gif[/img]
Re: How Supportive Was Your Significant Other While You Were Pregnant? by Analytical(m): 10:46am On Apr 27, 2012
Let me start to recall those days. . .

Wify got pregnant immediately after we got married (probably that very day, but definitely not more than 3 days after- that’s a story for another day!). Novice and inexperienced us; we didn’t even know. Two weeks after, she fell sick. We didn’t even suspect pregnancy, though all the signs were there- nausea, vomiting and all. She had fever and was dehydrated. We got to the clinic and was confirmed pregnant after test. Then started the journey that won me accolades and everlasting admiration of my wife.

Everything became strange. My new wife practically became different. The ever bubbling, hardworking gal I knew became so dull, moody, fuzzy and lazy! I knew this wasn’t my girl. The wonders of hormones! Attempts at preparing food in the kitchen became disastrous. She just couldn’t stand the smell of anything again. Worse still, they trigger off the vomiting.

Who would have thought going out together will be such a trying period? Well, so it became. The smell of car fragrance and fume became allergic. So the first thing she does as soon as she enters the car is to throw up inside the car. She became sad that she was giving me stress. I had to calm her down, that I am in love with her, vomits or not. So, cleaning up the car wasn’t a problem to me. In fact, I counted it all joy that I will soon become a father! I had to provide a special bowl in the car permanently to take care of that.

Because of this, I had to practically go with her whenever she wanted to go out. Thankfully, she was yet to start working then. We visited the clinic for antenatal together. We went to the market together. Do I talk of when the nausea came right there in the market? She tried to suppress it and with my hands massaging her back, urged her to do it right there, with all eyes gazed on this young couple, hubby rubbing wify’s back while she vomits! That was my moment to shine- my own version of Public Display of Affection.

Every morning I had to get up early to prepare food for her before I set for work, rush home during lunch time to check on her and clean-up. I took over the kitchen and became the official cook. And they are special foods- sometimes without salt! No onions, no frying at all. Most times no pepper, no stew, just okro! Very odd demands became the order of the day. After testing my skills in the kitchen, several times the food had to be rejected for upsetting her homones! Chicken and meat became prohibited for her. How I enjoyed those days. I ended up eating as much chicken as I could cool

The first trimester had just ended- two more to go. And this is just the first pregnancy. . .

44 Likes

Re: How Supportive Was Your Significant Other While You Were Pregnant? by EfemenaXY: 11:02am On Apr 27, 2012
^^ Bless you! You are indeed a rare gem of a man smiley

Your wifey is indeed lucky to have you. Wish we had more threads / stories like this extolling the virtues of our men.

Well Done!

!
Analytical: Let me start to recall those days. . .

Wify got pregnant immediately after we got married (probably that very day, but definitely not more than 3 days after- that’s a story for another day!). Novice and inexperienced us; we didn’t even know. Two weeks after, she fell sick. We didn’t even suspect pregnancy, though all the signs were there- nausea, vomiting and all. She had fever and was dehydrated. We got to the clinic and was confirmed pregnant after test. Then started the journey that won me accolades and everlasting admiration of my wife.

Everything became strange. My new wife practically became different. The ever bubbling, hardworking gal I knew became so dull, moody, fuzzy and lazy! I knew this wasn’t my girl. The wonders of hormones! Attempts at preparing food in the kitchen became disastrous. She just couldn’t stand the smell of anything again. Worse still, they trigger off the vomiting.

Who would have thought going out together will be such a trying period? Well, so it became. The smell of car fragrance and fume became allergic. So the first thing she does as soon as she enters the car is to throw up inside the car. She became sad that she was giving me stress. I had to calm her down, that I am in love with her, vomits or not. So, cleaning up the car wasn’t a problem to me. In fact, I counted it all joy that I will soon become a father! I had to provide a special bowl in the car permanently to take care of that.

Because of this, I had to practically go with her whenever she wanted to go out. Thankfully, she was yet to start working then. We visited the clinic for antenatal together. We went to the market together. Do I talk of when the nausea came right there in the market? She tried to suppress it and with my hands massaging her back, urged her to do it right there, with all eyes gazed on this young couple, hubby rubbing wify’s back while she vomits! That was my moment to shine- my own version of Public Display of Affection.

Every morning I had to get up early to prepare food for her before I set for work, rush home during lunch time to check on her and clean-up. I took over the kitchen and became the official cook. And they are special foods- sometimes without salt! No onions, no frying at all. Most times no pepper, just okro! Very odd demands became the order of the day. After testing my skills in the kitchen, several times the food had to be rejected for upsetting her homones! Chicken and meat became prohibited for her. How enjoyed those days. I ended up eating as much chicken as I could cool

The first trimester had just ended- two more to go. And this is just the first pregnancy. . .
Re: How Supportive Was Your Significant Other While You Were Pregnant? by Luchitec(m): 11:25am On Apr 27, 2012
Analytical; you are the man! That's how a real man that cherishes his wife should act.
Analytical: Let me start to recall those days. . .

Every morning I had to get up early to prepare food for her before I set for work, rush home during lunch time to check on her and clean-up. I took over the kitchen and became the official cook. And they are special foods- sometimes without salt! No onions, no frying at all. Most times no pepper, now stew, just okro! Very odd demands became the order of the day. After testing my skills in the kitchen, several times the food had to be rejected for upsetting her homones! Chicken and meat became prohibited for her. How I enjoyed those days. I ended up eating as much chicken as I could cool

1 Like

Re: How Supportive Was Your Significant Other While You Were Pregnant? by Analytical(m): 11:43am On Apr 27, 2012
Thank you, thank you, thank you all. I said it earlier that I want to feel proud of myself today!

Ok, let me summarize this. . .

The 2nd and 3rd trimesters were full of events and drama as well. Baby was growing and tummy bulging. She was gaining weights and she couldn’t get inside those trim and fitted clothes again. The face became puffy, movements became slow and body became very tender. My angel was fast losing her shape! Oh that was my opportunity to rub anywhere I want, from head to toe and I did a splendid job of it. S.ex had to be rationed! Especially as the tummy grew bigger. Romantic and creative me had to device various positions, so as not to hurt both my babies (wife and the little one!). I knew it was just a matter of time.

During delivery (a protracted one, that almost resulted to C/S), I had to be there in the delivery room and watched live as my baby came out. Finally, I became a father! What a feeling. Gradually, she took over her kitchen and I didn’t get enough of those free chicken and unrestricted access to the kitchen again! Well, until the 2nd pregnancy came a few years after.

That one was a kettle of fish altogether! I won't bore you with the details. I was no longer a novice so I knew what to expect this time around. So I thought! The 3rd pregnancy was a tough one that eventually ended in a C/S. Till today, she tells me no man can beat my show of maturity and love, including my cooking skills cool.

Women need the best their husbands can dish out during such periods. If any man claims to be a man, that is really the time to display how much love you have for your wife. This is my appeal to the husbands and would-be husbands reading this. Please support your wives (and babies during such period). You will actually be sowing by doing such. Yes, it will push you to the limits, if hers is such a tough pregrnancy, and test your endurance because certain things would have to be relaxed during such period. I can tell you however, she will never forget how you were there when she needed you most. The reward you will certainly reap.

God bless y'all.

22 Likes

Re: How Supportive Was Your Significant Other While You Were Pregnant? by maclatunji: 11:58am On Apr 27, 2012
Happy thread! grin

I must commend OP for her frankness, she is not afraid or ashamed to ask questions when she doesn't know or is not sure. #Cool

1 Like

Re: How Supportive Was Your Significant Other While You Were Pregnant? by Africaine(f): 1:22pm On Apr 27, 2012
this poster need to get rpeggers already jor...wats wit all dis i want pickin,i no want pickin,why are u afraid

1 Like

Re: How Supportive Was Your Significant Other While You Were Pregnant? by cyril83(m): 1:23pm On Apr 27, 2012
Abeg diz topic na rubbish joor, if u lik get pregnant nd if u no lik leave am,jst dnt bring nonsense topic to learned pple,wetin concern me na ur palava na
Re: How Supportive Was Your Significant Other While You Were Pregnant? by Princesaha: 1:33pm On Apr 27, 2012
More of educative threads like this. I never knew that women passes 2ru all dis b4 delivery. Oh, just an eye opener. As an undergraduate and would-be husband, i now know wot to do and when 2 do them especially during those hard periods 4 a would-be luvly wife. Op, tanx 4 an interesting thread. More power 2 ur elbow. Pls i nid more pple 2 comment on it

2 Likes

Re: How Supportive Was Your Significant Other While You Were Pregnant? by HellaBella(f): 1:37pm On Apr 27, 2012
@Analytical,

Thanks for sharing your experience. May God continue to bless your marriage. The same goes for all the lovely ladies that shared their stories!!
Re: How Supportive Was Your Significant Other While You Were Pregnant? by gentlegg(m): 1:46pm On Apr 27, 2012
During the first pregnancy, I gave her all my support, cleaning up vomits was a daily routine job, in fact she could win award with vomiting and spitting, in fact she spits on dinning table while we are eating, menn i saw a lot of shit i never knew i could have endured, but i think the excitement of having a baby and being a father propelled me to do everything for her. But the annoying thing to me about her is that i think she was overdoing everything cos she was really enjoying it, then i decided to over-support.

But honestly during the 2nd and 3rd, i no try oooooo. I was fed up.

2 Likes

Re: How Supportive Was Your Significant Other While You Were Pregnant? by Claus(m): 1:51pm On Apr 27, 2012
Always warms my heart to read threads where women are praising their (mainly) Nigerian husbands. It counteracts all the negative stereotypes and male bashing prejudice.

As for me, my wife will be the best judge of whether I was supportive, but I think I was o! Walking through snow at night looking for fish & chips coz that's what wife was craving etc.

1 Like

Re: How Supportive Was Your Significant Other While You Were Pregnant? by mamarisko(f): 2:02pm On Apr 27, 2012
[/color] my husband has been very supportive in all aspects of life especially when i am pregnant, he doesnt allow me do what will cause me pain,he buys what i demand, helps me with house chores, baths me, massages my legs and back. above all, he shares in the pains i am passing through while pregnant in the sense that he also feels the same pain i feel at times he feels it earlier than me, he throws up, crave for things infact i can go on and on and may not exhaust all he has been doing to me, during one of my pregnancies even before i missed my period for the month i became pregnant he was already feverish and throwing up. am so grateful to God for giving me my husband.if there would be another world i wil still agree to marry him my love[color=#000099][color=#000099] my husband has been very supportive in all aspects of life especially when i am pregnant, he doesnt allow me do what will cause me pain,he buys what i demand, helps me with house chores, baths me, massages my legs and back. above all, he shares in the pains i am passing through while pregnant in the sense that he also feels the same pain i feel at times he feels it earlier than me, he throws up, crave for things infact i can go on and on and may not exhaust all he has been doing to me, during one of my pregnancies even before i missed my period for the month i became pregnant he was already feverish and throwing up. am so grateful to God for giving me my husband.if there would be another world i wil still agree to marry him my love[/color][color=#000099][/color] my husband has been very supportive in all aspects of life especially when i am pregnant, he doesnt allow me do what will cause me pain,he buys what i demand, helps me with house chores, baths me, massages my legs and back. above all, he shares in the pains i am passing through while pregnant in the sense that he also feels the same pain i feel at times he feels it earlier than me, he throws up, crave for things infact i can go on and on and may not exhaust all he has been doing to me, during one of my pregnancies even before i missed my period for the month i became pregnant he was already feverish and throwing up. am so grateful to God for giving me my husband.if there would be another world i wil still agree to marry him my love

2 Likes

Re: How Supportive Was Your Significant Other While You Were Pregnant? by psalm201: 2:06pm On Apr 27, 2012
Re: How Supportive Was Your Significant Other While You Were Pregnant? by JojoArmani(m): 2:07pm On Apr 27, 2012
wat a thread, am loving wat am reading. Analytical am very happy to read ur comments, u re truly a real man. Am not yet married but i trust my self i can do it very well. Especially those period dey will be showing ugly attitudes i will just take dem for fun.

I was wondering maybe dis thread is for only for married and reasonable people until cyril83 put his childish comment. Pls if u dont know wats gud to say just shut up, is not a must u will comment, u can just read and move on.

1 Like

Re: How Supportive Was Your Significant Other While You Were Pregnant? by tasandra: 2:10pm On Apr 27, 2012
Op,I bless God,i was treated like a queen...my hubby even bath me some times,help tie my shoe,because my belly was very long grin he cook 2.i bless God 4 the gift.my dear dont worry,God s able cheesy

1 Like

Re: How Supportive Was Your Significant Other While You Were Pregnant? by sunnshyn(f): 2:20pm On Apr 27, 2012
cyril83: Abeg diz topic na rubbish joor, if u lik get pregnant nd if u no lik leave am,jst dnt bring nonsense topic to learned pple,wetin concern me na ur palava na
See him mouth! I'm sure u didnt't mean all dem nonsense u wrote up der! Ur intended/wife & I forgive u, cos u obviously weren't in a stable state of mind wen u wrote dat...rubbish!

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Men In Marriage: How To Play The In-law Politics! / Why Do Nigerians See Relocating Back To The Village As Failure / If Your Wife Does Not Call You Lord But Calls Her Pastor Daddy, Send Her Back

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 106
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.