Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,948 members, 7,956,570 topics. Date: Monday, 23 September 2024 at 02:19 PM

Moving The Federal Capital Territory From Abuja To Port Harcourt - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Moving The Federal Capital Territory From Abuja To Port Harcourt (5881 Views)

Man Treks From Lagos To Abuja To Fulfil The Vow He Made If Buhari Wins (photos) / Results From Abuja - Vanguard / Its Time To Move The Federal Capital To The East (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Moving The Federal Capital Territory From Abuja To Port Harcourt by Calebsky(m): 5:34pm On Apr 30, 2012
Musiwa,,:
the law does not allow him to move it to port harcourt.

Why? could you please tell me.
Re: Moving The Federal Capital Territory From Abuja To Port Harcourt by dayokanu(m): 5:35pm On Apr 30, 2012
Calebsky: @

Ok. now i get your drift. you must be a tribalist. Calabar (South South) had it, Lagos (South West) had it, Abuja (North Central) is having it with the attendant man-made problems or disaster,whatever. Now i think it will only be fair to push it down east and Enugu (South East) will be perfect. No bias huh! Mind you i'm not an igbo man.

If SS, SW and NC has had presidency then why not to NW Sokoto or NE Adamawa since you claim you are not biased
Re: Moving The Federal Capital Territory From Abuja To Port Harcourt by Calebsky(m): 5:37pm On Apr 30, 2012
naptu2: 1) Have you read section 298 of the constitution?

2) I wonder why you want to run away from a problem rather than solve the problem.

3) Don't you think your suggestion will lead to waste of money and corruption?

1. not really...but i'll do so tonight.
2. am not running away...am just trying to solve it systematically, politically, tactically, ati bebe lo smiley
Re: Moving The Federal Capital Territory From Abuja To Port Harcourt by Calebsky(m): 5:38pm On Apr 30, 2012
naptu2: 1) Have you read section 298 of the constitution?

2) I wonder why you want to run away from a problem rather than solve the problem.

3) Don't you think your suggestion will lead to waste of money and corruption?

1. not really...but i'll do so tonight.
2. am not running away...am just trying to solve it systematically, politically, tactically, ati bebe lo smiley
3. it's the opposite my dear. will lead to more resourcefulness and accountability.
Re: Moving The Federal Capital Territory From Abuja To Port Harcourt by Calebsky(m): 5:46pm On Apr 30, 2012
@ ALL,

I believe the capital can be temporarily relocated to any part of Nigeria to preserve the security and sanctity of government pending when the Islamic terrorists challenge can be effectively dealt with. During the Biafra war, the capital was relocated to Umuahia. Following Orkar's coup, IBB quickly relocated the capital to Abuja to escape from the security challenges in Lagos.

With escalation in attacks by the terrorists the President should relocate the capital to avert a national disaster. He can even choose Ibadan, Abeokuta or Awka. The major consideration should be the security of the symbol of government. When things are back to normal, we move back to Abuja.

With temporary relocation you need a place with functional govt-type of structures.
Re: Moving The Federal Capital Territory From Abuja To Port Harcourt by dayokanu(m): 5:47pm On Apr 30, 2012
OP Since you are not biased, Can we move the FCT to Maiduguri or Sokoto in the NE and NC respectively?
Re: Moving The Federal Capital Territory From Abuja To Port Harcourt by Calebsky(m): 5:56pm On Apr 30, 2012
dayokanu: OP Since you are not biased, Can we move the FCT to Maiduguri or Sokoto in the NE and NC respectively?

dayokanu:

If SS, SW and NC has had presidency then why not to NW Sokoto or NE Adamawa since you claim you are not biased

For political and economic best reasons the NW or NE do not qualify for now, not to mention the security risks. perhaps it could be in some distant future wink
Re: Moving The Federal Capital Territory From Abuja To Port Harcourt by naptu2: 6:08pm On Apr 30, 2012
Federal Capital Territory, Abuja

297. (1) There shall be a Federal Capital Territory, Abuja the boundaries of which are as defined in Part II of the First Schedule to this Constitution.

(2) The ownership of all lands comprised in the Federal Capital Territory, Abuja shall vest in the Government of the Federal Republic of Nigeria.

298. The Federal Capital Territory, Abuja shall be the Capital of the Federation and seat of the Government of the Federation.

http://www.nigeria-law.org/ConstitutionOfTheFederalRepublicOfNigeria.htm

1) You will need the support of 2/3rds of the members of the Senate and 2/3rds of the members of House, 2/3rds of all the state houses of assembly and the President to amend the sections of the constitution above

2) I wish you knew the level of corruption that took place between 1975-1991 when the capital was moved from Lagos to Abuja.

3) You are going to need to build new office blocks, new residences, etc for the thousands of civil servants, members of the armed forces, judges,national assembly members, etc that will move. Of course, the contracts to construct these structures will be inflated. Won't it be better to invest these funds into hospitals, schools, better equipment and training for the security forces, etc?

4) When the target moves, the hunter will also move.

5) The best way to spread development round the country is true federalism, fiscal federalism, resource control and the derivation principle. You will notice that whatever "development" a city gains from being the federal capital, will be lost once the capital is moved to another city. It's crazy to keep building these "civil service cities" up and down the country.

1 Like

Re: Moving The Federal Capital Territory From Abuja To Port Harcourt by dayokanu(m): 6:14pm On Apr 30, 2012
Calebsky:

For political and economic best reasons the NW or NE do not qualify for now, not to mention the security risks. perhaps it could be in some distant future wink

Which political reasons and which economic reason needs to be considered when situating a Federal capital?

You mentioned security yet advocated Port harcourt and SE where cases of kidnapping and militancy are highest in the country

So much for being a detribalised and unbiased person
Re: Moving The Federal Capital Territory From Abuja To Port Harcourt by Calebsky(m): 6:23pm On Apr 30, 2012
naptu2: Federal Capital Territory, Abuja

297. (1) There shall be a Federal Capital Territory, Abuja the boundaries of which are as defined in Part II of the First Schedule to this Constitution.

(2) The ownership of all lands comprised in the Federal Capital Territory, Abuja shall vest in the Government of the Federal Republic of Nigeria.

298. The Federal Capital Territory, Abuja shall be the Capital of the Federation and seat of the Government of the Federation.

http://www.nigeria-law.org/ConstitutionOfTheFederalRepublicOfNigeria.htm

1) You will need the support of 2/3rds of the members of the Senate and 2/3rds of the members of House, 2/3rds of all the state houses of assembly and the President to amend the sections of the constitution above

2) I wish you knew the level of corruption that took place between 1975-1991 when the capital was moved from Lagos to Abuja.

3) You are going to need to build new office blocks, new residences, etc for the thousands of civil servants, members of the armed forces, judges,national assembly members, etc that will move. Of course, the contracts to construct these structures will be inflated. Won't it be better to invest these funds into hospitals, schools, better equipment and training for the security forces, etc?

4) When the target moves, the hunter will also move.

5) The best way to spread development round the country is true federalism, fiscal federalism, resource control and the derivation principle. You will notice that whatever "development" a city gains from being the federal capital, will be lost once the capital is moved to another city. It's crazy to keep building these "civil service cities" up and down the country.

Wow! am so impressed with your sense of judgment and analysis. thank you. you've answered the questions that bothered me.
no. 2 i was just rounding up secondary school then (1991) and never knew. really wished i knew. but now i know in a statement smiley
no. 5 is simply the best solution for this country.

take a high 5 bro.
Re: Moving The Federal Capital Territory From Abuja To Port Harcourt by Calebsky(m): 6:32pm On Apr 30, 2012
BTW the thought of the FCT leaving the north would have quietened the sponsors and activities of bokoharam. what do you think naptu2?
Re: Moving The Federal Capital Territory From Abuja To Port Harcourt by naptu2: 8:35am On May 01, 2012
Wrong diagnosis is quite dangerous. Indeed it can kill. Malaria and typhoid have similar symptoms. If you administer malaria treatment on someone who has typhoid, you might unknowingly be leading him to his death.

That's the case with Boko Haram. There are many causes of the Boko Haram menace, many objectives and many factions of Boko Haram. If you treat one aspect (especially if it's the least threatening) and ignore others (especially if you ignore the greatest threat), then you haven't done anything and you'll still be heading for death.

Some diagnosis

1) It's because we have a southern president.

2) It's being sponsored by election losers.

3) It's an extension of Al-Qaeda

4) It's caused by poverty and illiteracy.

5) It's caused by the West (this is especially believed by conspiracy theorists and those that are against the west because of colonialism, Patrice Lumumba, etc).

Some supposed aims.

1) To ensure we have a northern president

2) To ensure that those who lost elections are installed in government.

3) To impose their own brand of islam on the north.

4) To impose their own brand of islam on Nigeria and beyond.

5) The west wants oil/to stop the emergence of a powerful african country.

6)To ensure the north gets more money.

I believe that all these diagnoses might be correct (apart from the "west" angle obviously), but the most dangerous angle is the Al-Qaeda angle.

Now, with the Al-Qaeda angle, I believe if you give them an inch (move the capital), they'll take a mile (the whole country).
Re: Moving The Federal Capital Territory From Abuja To Port Harcourt by Nobody: 10:47am On May 01, 2012
why temporary? should be permanent.
Re: Moving The Federal Capital Territory From Abuja To Port Harcourt by Willy4Willy: 10:56am On May 01, 2012
Please i want to Know.
1-Where were the Yorubas when Hausa/Fulani moved Nigeria Capital to North, and why did they allow that to happen
Re: Moving The Federal Capital Territory From Abuja To Port Harcourt by naptu2: 11:15am On May 01, 2012
Many Lagosians (both indigenes and residents) were very happy when the government moved to Abuja in 1991. Personally, I hope it never comes back.
Re: Moving The Federal Capital Territory From Abuja To Port Harcourt by naptu2: 11:23am On May 01, 2012
Today you can go to the club @ night in Lagos, without the fear of being caught up in a military battle (I will never forget April 22nd 1990 for as long as I live).

In 1991, IBB attended an event @ NIIA on Victoria Island (it was at that event that MKO Abiola was locked out & had to be saved by Aikhomu), the traffic in Lagos on that day was HELL!

Getting to school late cos IBB or Buhari or whomever was attending an event.

Pls, they say Abuja is center of unity. Let it remain the capital.
Re: Moving The Federal Capital Territory From Abuja To Port Harcourt by Calebsky(m): 10:00am On May 02, 2012
naptu2: Wrong diagnosis is quite dangerous. Indeed it can kill. Malaria and typhoid have similar symptoms. If you administer malaria treatment on someone who has typhoid, you might unknowingly be leading him to his death.

That's the case with Boko Haram. There are many causes of the Boko Haram menace, many objectives and many factions of Boko Haram. If you treat one aspect (especially if it's the least threatening) and ignore others (especially if you ignore the greatest threat), then you haven't done anything and you'll still be heading for death.

Some diagnosis

1) It's because we have a southern president.

2) It's being sponsored by election losers.

3) It's an extension of Al-Qaeda

4) It's caused by poverty and illiteracy.

5) It's caused by the West (this is especially believed by conspiracy theorists and those that are against the west because of colonialism, Patrice Lumumba, etc).

Some supposed aims.

1) To ensure we have a northern president

2) To ensure that those who lost elections are installed in government.

3) To impose their own brand of islam on the north.

4) To impose their own brand of islam on Nigeria and beyond.

5) The west wants oil/to stop the emergence of a powerful african country.

6)To ensure the north gets more money.

I believe that all these diagnoses might be correct (apart from the "west" angle obviously), but the most dangerous angle is the Al-Qaeda angle.

Now, with the Al-Qaeda angle, I believe if you give them an inch (move the capital), they'll take a mile (the whole country).

You have some good points there bro.

This morning i read that FORMER Minister of Federal Capital Territory, Mallam Nasir El-Rufai has warned the Nigerian Government to review its stance on the security situation in the country, but if it fails, “they will not be in government for too long”. Moreso, The man at the centre of the aborted negotiations with Boko Haram yesterday said the process was sabotaged by President Jonathan’s principal private secretary Hassan Tukur.

These and many more make the bokoharam issues fall under your diagnosis wink.

What do you think could be the panacea for this problem?
Re: Moving The Federal Capital Territory From Abuja To Port Harcourt by Calebsky(m): 10:55am On May 02, 2012
so you mean moving the capital will make bokoharam/Al Qaeda take the whole country.
i personally do not think so. on the contrary, i think it will bring some calm.....and the govt can better re-strategise
Re: Moving The Federal Capital Territory From Abuja To Port Harcourt by PointB: 5:56pm On May 04, 2012
The Capital does not necessarily need to be moved to another city. However, the President can decide to put in place facilities/resources (fixed or otherwise) that will enable him to do his job from any city/state in Nigeria, for as long as he deems fit!
Re: Moving The Federal Capital Territory From Abuja To Port Harcourt by Smooth278(m): 9:47pm On May 05, 2012
COWARDS!!!
Re: Moving The Federal Capital Territory From Abuja To Port Harcourt by Mynd44: 10:10pm On May 05, 2012
Smooth278: COWARDS!!!
That word summaries it. Why should they move the capital? So you actually mean the government are scared outta their pays by Boko Haram that they have decided to flee and run? Why not just deal with the source of the problem instead of packing their bags all over the darned country?
Re: Moving The Federal Capital Territory From Abuja To Port Harcourt by logica(m): 3:45pm On Aug 07, 2015
Willy4Willy:
Please i want to Know.
1-Where were the Yorubas when Hausa/Fulani moved Nigeria Capital to North, and why did they allow that to happen
You can never understand. You are like a duffer playing a Grandmaster in a game of chess. Speak of complete bafflement.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Why are Christians denied voters card in the north? / Buhari Supports The Right To Independence Of Palestine & Rejects Same For Biafra / Jubilation As Gov. Ugwuanyi Finally Settles Oruku, Umuode Age-long Dispute

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 45
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.