Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,457 members, 7,816,070 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 02:20 AM

What Age Is Overdue For A Man To Marry? - Family (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / What Age Is Overdue For A Man To Marry? (23256 Views)

What Kind Of Woman Would You Love To Marry- Choose (picture) / What Age Is The Right Age To Have A Child? / What Age Is Overdue For A Man To Marry? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: What Age Is Overdue For A Man To Marry? by bigiyaro(m): 9:00am On May 03, 2012
Basic:

Who says it's not possible for you to play PS3 with your son even when you're 75 and he's just 10?
Belive me at 75 you will be too preoccupied with old age diseases,thinking of death and weakness to play video games.

2 Likes

Re: What Age Is Overdue For A Man To Marry? by bigiyaro(m): 9:06am On May 03, 2012
blacklion:

Speak for your culture. In my culture, 35 years is just about time to start thinking about marriage.
blacklion, u don‘t need to hide behind culture or all dat kind of shit, 35 years is the ideal age for a man to get married.look at naija today,does it resemble a place with any tradition or culture?
Re: What Age Is Overdue For A Man To Marry? by blueheart(m): 9:50am On May 03, 2012
Well, am 28 this June, still single sef. Marriage for me is when am financially secure enuf to give my kids an enabling environment in Naija. Age is nothing here. I dont fancy my future kids hustling hard or running d streets protesting another round of Govt subsidies abi doin yahoo tinz to survive. Hell no. Age is nt d key, bt instead financial security bt am beliving God fit make hustle pay & level pure as well sha

1 Like

Re: What Age Is Overdue For A Man To Marry? by Ejiekwu1(m): 9:50am On May 03, 2012
The ideal target for a highly educated man is between 27 and 33 yrs. By 33, the man should be done with graduate school and should be established in a decent career. I have some friends that married earlier than 27 but almost all of them had to spend some time away from their families to get graduate degrees abroad. I honestly don't see any reason why a man should wait beyond 33 except for financial issues (or in some rare cases, an ill-timed emigration to another country). In that case, then he has until at the VERY LATEST 40yrs to get his finances/papers in order and start a family.

2 Likes

Re: What Age Is Overdue For A Man To Marry? by Nobody: 10:08am On May 03, 2012
A fool at 40 is a fool forever.

2 Likes

Re: What Age Is Overdue For A Man To Marry? by blacklion(m): 10:09am On May 03, 2012
bigiyaro: blacklion, u don‘t need to hide behind culture or all dat kind of shit, 35 years is the ideal age for a man to get married.look at naija today,does it resemble a place with any tradition or culture?

Culture is relevant here because Igbo men are generally discouraged from marrying until they can bear the cost of marriage ceremonies and provide for a family. Men from other ethnic groups can easily marry at 25 years because they get support from family members towards wedding costs, paying rent, buying a car etc. Not so with the Igbo.

Given the current economic situation in Nigeria, an average Igbo young man who completes education or business apprenticeship in his early-mid-twenties, will take about 5-6 years just to find his feet in life. He then needs another 5 years or so to mature psychologically for marriage i.e. sow his wild oats thoroughly grin
Re: What Age Is Overdue For A Man To Marry? by nacotic(m): 10:18am On May 03, 2012
Am 27 n i run ma own biz, i jst hope i can beat d 3Oyrs gong cos marriage is no mean feat lol stil searchn though
Re: What Age Is Overdue For A Man To Marry? by harakiri(m): 10:39am On May 03, 2012
Personally, i think people should get married because they WANT to be married and nothing more. Giving in to the peer pressure,age factor, societal "norms" and all that is a recipe for disaster. When i was in my twenties, i thought i would be married before the age of 30yrs (and i almost did). Today, i am 32yrs old, much wiser and experienced and the issue of getting married barely occurs to me. Why? I don't keep up with the Joneses anymore. I do what is right for me and not for others.
Re: What Age Is Overdue For A Man To Marry? by blank(f): 10:44am On May 03, 2012
blacklion:

Culture is relevant here because Igbo men are generally discouraged from marrying until they can bear the cost of marriage ceremonies and provide for a family. Men from other ethnic groups can easily marry at 25 years because they get support from family members towards wedding costs, paying rent, buying a car etc. Not so with the Igbo.

Given the current economic situation in Nigeria, an average Igbo young man who completes education or business apprenticeship in his early-mid-twenties, will take about 5-6 years just to find his feet in life. He then needs another 5 years or so to mature psychologically for marriage i.e. sow his wild oats thoroughly grin

Abeg, talk for yourself jor. Igbo guys are getting married early. You seem to be stuck in old school thinking.

1 Like

Re: What Age Is Overdue For A Man To Marry? by mikron(m): 11:02am On May 03, 2012
There is no definite age for a man to get married. A man can get married whenever he is ready financially and otherwise. Unlike women who sets 22 or 23 as their target age for marriage.
Re: What Age Is Overdue For A Man To Marry? by member479760: 11:19am On May 03, 2012
40 years too late for a man to marry first time, i sorry for una. at 45 a man suppose to don become granpi.

3 Likes

Re: What Age Is Overdue For A Man To Marry? by Sagamite(m): 11:24am On May 03, 2012
bigiyaro: As far as am concern,a man should be married latest by 35. By that age a man that is worth his onions should have been established in his career or trade.i have an uncle that uses his pension to pay his first child‘s secondary school fees,he don‘t even gel with his children,he feels they want to be pampered and the children feels their father too stingy and old school(this guy is closing in on 68 and his first son is about 16,he got 5 more). There is time for every thing under the sun,most guys hide under so many excuses not to get married but if you dig deeper you will discover that such guys are just plain afraid of committement. As for me i want to play ps3 with my children,take them swimming and still show off my 6 packs,i can‘t afford looking a grand dad to my children. So guys please try and get married by 35 or at most 38. Life is too short.

What a moronic post!

1 Like

Re: What Age Is Overdue For A Man To Marry? by buildelicool(m): 11:24am On May 03, 2012
If i couldn't before 35 definitely @ 35 i will whether money or no money, ladies or monsters, i will not exceed 35 by God's grace

1 Like

Re: What Age Is Overdue For A Man To Marry? by Nobody: 12:08pm On May 03, 2012
Basic:
Please don't tell us trash here. The risks of Down's syndrome and many other congenital disorders increase with increasing age of the mother only, not that of the man. Aging does not make a man's sperms abnormal. Though the number and rate may reduce, the quality does not. I'm a medical student, so, I think I know better. If you need references, I can cite hundreds.

Don't be too hasty. Although more research needs to be done to be conclusive, the likelihood of down syndrome have shown to be greater in women partnered with a much older man than a younger man.

Researchers found that the rate of Down syndrome among parents over 40 was 60 per 10,000 births, which is six times higher than the rate found among couples under 35 years old. Older fathers over 40 had twice the rate of Down syndrome births compared with men 24 years old and younger when they had children with women over 35.

http://www.webmd.com/infertility-and-reproduction/news/20030701/dad-age-down-syndrome

2 Likes

Re: What Age Is Overdue For A Man To Marry? by bknight: 1:17pm On May 03, 2012
I'd say 35 is ok. Overdue? Maybe 40, 45 is overdue
Re: What Age Is Overdue For A Man To Marry? by Sealeddeal(m): 1:29pm On May 03, 2012
I want to marry at 27,dats 5years from now.in fact,i'll marry at 27 but i'm just thinking how i'll be by then.i'm afraid i'll still look young.
Re: What Age Is Overdue For A Man To Marry? by blacklion(m): 1:45pm On May 03, 2012
blank:

Abeg, talk for yourself jor. Igbo guys are getting married early. You seem to be stuck in old school thinking.

Yes, half a dozen Lagos Igbo guys and another half-dozen Abia/Imo guys grin
Re: What Age Is Overdue For A Man To Marry? by zumbigbo(m): 1:56pm On May 03, 2012
Igbo guys are getting married early. You seem to be stuck in old school thinking.

Getting married early and getting divorced early! Abeg, each person in their own time.

The holy grail of marriage is over-valued so that it leads people into making rash decisions. Maturity should be the first step before marriage. I can assure you plenty of those young couples getting married in their early twenties, have a minimal understanding of the reponsibilities involved.

1 Like

Re: What Age Is Overdue For A Man To Marry? by swiftycool(m): 2:43pm On May 03, 2012
blacklion:

I love that boldened part: as in thoroughly grin , the best part yet before surrendering to prison grin grin grin
Re: What Age Is Overdue For A Man To Marry? by Sagamite(m): 2:50pm On May 03, 2012
stillwater:
Researchers found that the rate of Down syndrome among parents over 40 was 60 per 10,000 births, which is six times higher than the rate found among couples under 35 years old. Older fathers over 40 had twice the rate of Down syndrome births compared with men 24 years old and younger when they had children with women over 35.

These are the kind of research announcements I see and I ask for the stats to quantify only to find the difference is completely irrelevant.

https://www.nairaland.com/225719/mother-tongue-english-home/3#3846882

I would shape my life based on reducing a 0.6% chance to a 0.1% chance?

Hell No!

Both are almost insignificant at less than 1% chance.

There are more important things for me to worry about in life.

Marriage on the other hand is 50% chance of failure, 80-something% of utter unhappiness if you add those that are not divorced but still married.
Re: What Age Is Overdue For A Man To Marry? by Nobody: 3:00pm On May 03, 2012
There is no "overdue age" however, there is a right time to do everything. You want to marry when you are ready for the responsibilities. Generally speaking and if you are not an outlier, a man should be between 24 - 42. Anything older then you become an anormally. In fact you become abnormal.

You dont want to be changing diapers at 50 when some of your friends are grandparents. And to the guys saying they want to be very rich before getting married and having children. I can only say it all evens out at the end of the day. Start early, and you will finish training them early so your finacial responsibilities will be less when you are older. If you start late, you will be paying tuition at 70 when you may be retired.
Re: What Age Is Overdue For A Man To Marry? by Fhemmmy: 3:02pm On May 03, 2012
It is not about age, but about if he is ready
Re: What Age Is Overdue For A Man To Marry? by ReLaTE(m): 3:02pm On May 03, 2012
Pls its nt hw early u married to hv a kid is the issue,wat abt mens that married in their twenties yet no issue till d clock fourty.
Re: What Age Is Overdue For A Man To Marry? by ReLaTE(m): 3:07pm On May 03, 2012
Am 35 and wl neva fail to marry ths year bt hv some of my mates that married 7yrs ago wt kids nw. Actualy,i planned to settle down at 28 bt due to some financial issue it didnt materialized bt nw am ok financialy to get down to it.
I think 28-40yrs is ok.
Re: What Age Is Overdue For A Man To Marry? by walex2(m): 4:45pm On May 03, 2012
ReLaTE: Am 35 and wl neva fail to marry ths year bt hv some of my mates that married 7yrs ago wt kids nw. Actualy,i planned to settle down at 28 bt due to some financial issue it didnt materialized bt nw am ok financialy to get down to it.
I think 28-40yrs is ok.
a man should not marry when he feel like nither shouldna woman do. one of the reason of marriage is procreation and u realise that a woman of 30 got it little harder in delivering than a woman of 25. a man who marry at 40 who eventually close to his grave before the first child graduate in school"check the Nigeria life expectancy" we married very late in Ngeria due to high level of poverty. the best age for a man is 25 while 22 for ladies
Re: What Age Is Overdue For A Man To Marry? by GudLion(m): 5:36pm On May 03, 2012
For a man in naija 25 is not possible. Consider the normal evils; waec, jamb, ASUU, nysc, Gmat and other vices like tribalism, discrimination, extended family wahala etc etc. Befor u know whats happening you are 30+ that is if u started d adventure early. In naija its not a matter of age but when you are able to successfully surmount the above listed huddle. But 30 is very ok by me.

1 Like

Re: What Age Is Overdue For A Man To Marry? by princeonx: 7:38pm On May 03, 2012
nnana4top: Sincerly i wanna appreciate all you that contributed to this post. You all wrote well, i think i agree with the poster that said 35 should be an ideal age, am 33 by june, am not yet financially stable and my mother is already on my neck for a grand child. Also inside me i wish to get married, but i cant for now... Am believing God for a change once i have dat, i do what a man must do. I know there guys in this same situation am in, lets have faith. I love nairaland people

You are one of those guys or people that get involve into marriage institution for all the wrong reasons. Yes you need money and all that! Your mother want grandchildren and all that! And from the way you sound, once you have some money in your pocket or account I won't be surprise that your mom will be the one to chose a wife for you. Where is love in your above post? Am glad you involved God! Do you know that God only give child/ren not your mother? Do you know you can be rich today and broke tomorrow married or single? Haven't you heard of men that fell in love with a woman that helped them financially? And am sure you've seen or heard of poor old/young but very happy couple! Like someone rightly said before you guys are simply scared of commitment.
Re: What Age Is Overdue For A Man To Marry? by Nobody: 8:00pm On May 03, 2012
Basic: I'm a B.Sc holder, but currently studying Medicine in UNILAG. I'm just 24 but I'm getting married in 2 months time. Say whatever you like! (I run a lucrative online freelance writing business tho').

pls am interested in an online freelance writing biz too,how can i go about starting up.thanks
Re: What Age Is Overdue For A Man To Marry? by Nobody: 9:44pm On May 03, 2012
I would say late 20s - mid 30s. But that isn't a rule of thumb. Marriage isn't something that should be attached with a number. I know a lady who got married at 22, another at 24, another at 31, some others do so in their 40s. So there is no "right" age. The most important thing's to know + love yourself first. Then find that special person (and this isn't something you can control) and make sure you're emotionally and financially ready for it.
Re: What Age Is Overdue For A Man To Marry? by adetunrayo(f): 4:49pm On May 04, 2012
25 yrs - 35 yrs
Re: What Age Is Overdue For A Man To Marry? by Nobody: 9:18pm On May 04, 2012
At age 35 - 40 is certainly overdue
Re: What Age Is Overdue For A Man To Marry? by IYANGBALI: 9:57pm On May 04, 2012
at 75 because life begins at 70

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

He Said NO To A Quiet Wedding!!! / End of story. / Should He Fight For Custody Of His Kids??

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 48
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.