Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,157,948 members, 7,835,162 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 06:18 AM

Am I Supposed To Pay For My Wedding? - Family (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Am I Supposed To Pay For My Wedding? (30706 Views)

I Just Started A Family! My Wedding Pics / Some Sweet USUALS Every Wife Is Supposed To Be Giving To Her Husband! / Some Sweet USUALS Every Husband Is Supposed To Be Giving To His Wife (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (18) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Am I Supposed To Pay For My Wedding? by Busybody2(f): 5:30pm On May 03, 2012
Fhemmmy:

My Sister from the other man have said it all . . . FULL GBAMISTICALLY SAID

From her previous posts, she is a Doctor, she has been the one pressurizing the dude, she has been jetsetting all over the world, she has been to the auto section to price a 2008/2009 car. . .if we on Nairaland can gleen this much from her few posts, HOW MUCH MORE DOES HER FIANCE KNOW ABOUT HER FINANCIAL STRENGTH?

Why would he not retort that she should foot the wedding bill?

@ OP

You clearly love this guy and he loves you too so in order to undo all the damages you have done these past 4 years to his mentality whereby he thinks of you as a leech, I WILL SUGGEST THIS DOUBLE-PRONG APPROACH - go to your bank, withdraw the 80% or higher in cash, or whatever, go and visit him, and present him that money and go on your knees in tears (crocodile tears would do fine too) . . .you can tell him its was the pressure from your coursework or the 60 hour week employment . . .or whatever solid excuse you can come up with. . .you can even throw in a few Oscar winning theaterics like "let us forget the car I wanted to buy/God will provide/ all I want is you by my side forever/can't you see you have been a positive influence in my life/if not for you I would not have so so, so, and so. . . Your goal is to get back the man you fell in love with and for him to get back the lady who used to melt his heart once upon a time.

He should be shocked and surprised and refuse to take the money or take it all, BUT if he goes ahead to take this money and still wants to proceed with the wedding in August, hmmm, shine your eyes I.e. You have lost him for good and is just left with a shadow of his former self meaning that you should prepare yourself and steel yourself for lots and lots of unpalatable behaviours and careless comments such as "you wanted the fairytale wedding, you got it, now free me woman and let me stay out late as much as I want. . ."

1 Like

Re: Am I Supposed To Pay For My Wedding? by armyofone(m): 5:32pm On May 03, 2012
You should see the current bride price and dowry for my head shocked grin grin
but Nkem is joyous cheesy a man should be able to do everything without eyeing his lady's wallet tongue. after marriage, yes, before marriage, nah!
OP, this guy na future kata kata, watch out.

He that findeth a good lady, findeth joy from the Lord.
i forget the chapter and v, no ask me.
Re: Am I Supposed To Pay For My Wedding? by Nobody: 5:32pm On May 03, 2012
Re: Am I Supposed To Pay For My Wedding? by dayokanu(m): 5:33pm On May 03, 2012
chaircover:

See your mouth grin enu opuro ki sheje

Most of the men sreaming blue murder here buy Brazillian and Blackberry bold's & BIS monthly subscriptions for their babes, like it is going out of fashion. Money for school fees and handouts nko? Many of you turned yourselves into mobile ATM machines and now complain when the ladies think that this is the norm.

The proof of the pudding is in the eating and I firmly beleive that many of us who are against this 80% wedding formula have put down a lot more than 80% of wharrever over the years. Paying 80% of the wedding costs does not guarantee a good wife so you people should simmer down and listen to what us "Iyawo ile's" are telling you cool grin

And Yes I have a problem with the way the "shebi you have money" was phrased. That leaves such a bad taste in the mouth. BTW I havent read the posters previous posts and so I dont know the prior state of their relationship.

CC

Now tell me what you want the man to do.

The man already spent unbudgeted for money on the house, Should he go and borrow, steal, do rituals , sell his blood or kill himself to get married?

If the OP doesnt want to scale down the wedding, cancel it, postpone it, or provide money for it

What should the man do.

The OP said she told him to go and borrow, If any woman tells me that I would tell her worse than "Shebi you have the money".

Let me ask you this, if your brothers fiancee tells him to go and borrow for wedding after he has spent on getting a house for both of them, What would be your exact words to her?
Re: Am I Supposed To Pay For My Wedding? by Outstrip(f): 5:34pm On May 03, 2012
Fhemmmy:

According to the woman, it is the house that they will live together.
However,if you are now saying the woman dont wanna invest into what she is not sure of, that is a different angle and why shd the man now invest into what he knows that the woman is not sure of . . .
The evil that we fear always have a way to show face.

I don't understand this. Was he not aware that the lease was going to be up in september. None of this was a surprise. Weddings are usually a big deal for the average Nigerian. The house in question is even a rental not one that is owned by the man or the woman. The idea that it was an unexpected expense that came up is ridiculous. he knew that he had no plans for the wedding. Would it have been better had she come here and said it is a few months to the wedding and I am finding out that I will be footing the whole bill. It is irresponsible to say the least. None of this is a surprise. If it was an unexpected burial expense or such I would understand. It was not. The man knows that after spending 5 years with him and a wedding date has been set he is ready to show his true colors. The man just seems sneaky. She needs to find out if that house is truly a rental because he sounds like he is hiding something
Re: Am I Supposed To Pay For My Wedding? by luckgames(m): 5:34pm On May 03, 2012
armyofone: You should see the current bride price and dowry for my head shocked grin grin
but Nkem is joyous cheesy a man should be able to do everything without eyeing his lady's wallet tongue. after marriage, yes, before marriage, nah!
OP, this guy na future kata kata, watch out.

He that findeth a good lady, findeth joy from the Lord.
i forget the chapter and v, no ask me.

Thief
You want it all dumb B
Re: Am I Supposed To Pay For My Wedding? by Nobody: 5:35pm On May 03, 2012
Re: Am I Supposed To Pay For My Wedding? by armyofone(m): 5:35pm On May 03, 2012
Dayo stop complaining, kini?
pay or forever remain single grin

1 Like

Re: Am I Supposed To Pay For My Wedding? by armyofone(m): 5:36pm On May 03, 2012
tongue wink
work hard for the money and stop complaining
work hard for the money and damn treat her right.

luckgames:

Thief
You want it all dumb B
Re: Am I Supposed To Pay For My Wedding? by AmakaG29(f): 5:38pm On May 03, 2012
This poster is the same one a week or two ago asking whether or not she should marry this guy because his attitude and moods have been worsening. Girl, don't pay for a wedding that you have doubts about. You didn't take the advice of the people from the last post, so you probably won't take this either.

These were the OP's complaints as of April 20th copy and pasted from the other thread:
1. Isnt showing much love and affection: for someone who is getting married, i feel that the love and affection, the eagerness should be there.
2. Always entering moods. today he is in a foul mood and doesn't want to talk to me. tomorrow he is another foul mood and wants to be alone (even when we are together.
3. I am the one always doing things for him, always setting dates for us to go out, always making out time for us to see, sometimes it seems like i am forcing him to do things together with me.
4. he doesnt even seem excited to be getting married. When we talk about it, i just get this non challant attitude again. Been asking him when he wants to come and see my people formally, and all i get it 'you are pressuring me', i need to get some things in place first.

Also, OP posted that the two of you were having intimacy problems in a post in 2010. Frankly, I'm not impressed with this guy, and I believe you are settling. You seem to be setting yourself up for unhappy times.

So you were just saying he's selfish, moody, and not excited about getting married and now you wonder why he won't pay for it? My advice is yes a woman can help with the wedding, but from what you have said about the type of man he is I would take his financial commitment as a sign of his overall commitment. It seems like he's been giving 20% your entire relationship. Good luck dear. I certainly wouldn't advise you to make any major decisions because I don't know either of you well enough.

Sorry this seems harsh and critical, but you are making a life long decision that will affect your future and your children. May God help you with your decision.

1 Like

Re: Am I Supposed To Pay For My Wedding? by Shokoloko(f): 5:38pm On May 03, 2012
I smell a rat. these two people are already having financial squabbles. Mr HTB shouldnt have said 'shebi u have money" he seems like his been counting how much she is worth. call the wedding off
Re: Am I Supposed To Pay For My Wedding? by armyofone(m): 5:40pm On May 03, 2012
ummmm contribute 80% for my own wedding? shocked na me dey marry you shocked

odikwa risky lipsrsealed
Re: Am I Supposed To Pay For My Wedding? by luckgames(m): 5:42pm On May 03, 2012
armyofone: tongue wink
work hard for the money and stop complaining
work hard for the money and damn treat her right.

Dumb ass
How can somebody treat a self center person like you Right----ME,ME,ME selfish
I am working very hard right now and playing---Blessed
I am sure I can pay for your wedding 2 million Nigerian naira easily
But will I do it NO
Sorry I have lot of things to do with my money now
So B
Re: Am I Supposed To Pay For My Wedding? by dayokanu(m): 5:42pm On May 03, 2012
Outstrip:

I don't understand this. Was he not aware that the lease was going to be up in september. None of this was a surprise. Weddings are usually a big deal for the average Nigerian. The house in question is even a rental not one that is owned by the man or the woman. The idea that it was an unexpected expense that came up is ridiculous. he knew that he had no plans for the wedding. Would it have been better had she come here and said it is a few months to the wedding and I am finding out that I will be footing the whole bill. It is irresponsible to say the least. None of this is a surprise. If it was an unexpected burial expense or such I would understand. It was not. The man knows that after spending 5 years with him and a wedding date has been set he is ready to show his true colors. The man just seems sneaky. She needs to find out if that house is truly a rental because he sounds like he is hiding something

if he had stayed in the old house he would just pay renewal and not cost of renovating and cleaning up, No cost of agency, agreement , He wouldnt have been mandated to pay 2yrs rent like its expected of new renters.

Unexpected expense include Renovating the new house, cleaning up the new house, agreement, agency, legal fees and mandatory 2 or 3yrs are costs that come with new rentals that dont apply to rent extensions.

The Op was in the know about all these expense and didnt even complain about it, she just want him to miraculously go and find the money from somewhere for the wedding
Re: Am I Supposed To Pay For My Wedding? by benlay(m): 5:43pm On May 03, 2012
You don't have to 'pay' (like a magga,lol).....wedding is just a ceremony, you should be more focused on what would happen after that 'one day' (wedding day) but if you have a kind of a picture on how you want your wedding day to look like, then I would support my husband to be, note this-you are not paying nor helping but you are supporting, please get that off your mind.
Re: Am I Supposed To Pay For My Wedding? by Sike(m): 5:46pm On May 03, 2012
@OP, You're on your own jor
Re: Am I Supposed To Pay For My Wedding? by Busybody2(f): 5:46pm On May 03, 2012
jennykadry:

No mind am. I repeat, if something good happens in my marriage ( I don't want to be negative) I will set him back up with what i have in my account [size=14pt]but for me to set up a fiancé or pay so much to make my marriage happen?[/size] For wetin? Na me kill obacha collect him money?

Na who wan do marriage ehn cheesy

Nor be she dey wear the shoe and sabi wey e dey pain am

Na whose biological clock dey overspeed ehn

Thank God I did not come as a Nigerian man, you girls for don smell pepper nor be small grin

chaircover: This Bisi sef too like amebo grin sure you are not a private investigator grin

PI Detective Bisi, has a nice ring to it cheesy
Re: Am I Supposed To Pay For My Wedding? by armyofone(m): 5:49pm On May 03, 2012
lol, which one is hurting you or electrifying ya nerves now?
you said yours, i said mine so why the name calling?

i think you forgot to take your medication bruv johnny grin
if you would need oshuka to carry the case on ya head, ya lenge lenge neck not withstanding, let me know i can fedex one to you.

relax oh boy! relax, life is fun.

luckgames:
Dumb ass
How can somebody treat a self center person like you Right----ME,ME,ME selfish
I am working very hard right now and playing---Blessed
I am sure I can pay for your wedding 2 million Nigerian naira easily
But will I do it NO
Sorry I have lot of things to do with my money now
So B
Re: Am I Supposed To Pay For My Wedding? by Nobody: 5:51pm On May 03, 2012
kay9:
And now because the dude has effed up his finances, his love is suddenly being questioned... Says a lot about how the average woman thinks. I mean, why even bother marrying, when the first sign of financial difficulty makes u wonder if he loves u?? Oh wait, i see it now, ''if he loves u, then he should have money to marry and keep u''; that's right, shey?? angry angry
And tommorrow, another 35-yr-old spinster will come here and start wondering why she's still single...
did you even read my post, or you just felt like quoting me. Okay Mr know it all, pls explain to me how the young man planned on paying his next rent. To me , he sound non chalant about the wedding, which is why I made the statement .didn't you also read the part I said there is nothing wrong in contributing! Illiteracy is a disease
Re: Am I Supposed To Pay For My Wedding? by luckgames(m): 5:53pm On May 03, 2012
armyofone: lol, which one is hurting you or electrifying ya nerves now?
you said yours, i said mine so why the name calling?

i think you forgot to take your medication bruv johnny grin
if you would need oshuka to carry the case on ya head, ya lenge lenge neck not withstanding, let me know i can fedex one to you.

relax oh boy! relax, life is fun.

You sound very self centered
ME,ME type of person
Re: Am I Supposed To Pay For My Wedding? by ronkebp(f): 5:53pm On May 03, 2012
dayokanu:

Did you read the initial post? the man had his finances tied up, An unforseen circumstance of house about to collapse happened and he had to spend money he put aside for the wedding on getting another house for two of them.

Ok If the lady doesnt want to spend 80% on the wedding, then let her spend on the house and the man spend 100% on the wedding

Is that OK?

Or better still cancel the wedding altogether. Which is the best solution left to me

I read it well, he does not have enough money yet to marry and pay for the house, it is the same thing we are talking about, bobo yen o ni owo 'igbe-yawo yet. so the marraige ceremony should be postponed. If the lady wants the marraige "at all cost", then she should foot the bill. But am sure in the future, the man will brag about he was not the one that married her, she forced herself on him by paying for the wedding.
Re: Am I Supposed To Pay For My Wedding? by Outstrip(f): 5:54pm On May 03, 2012
dayokanu:

if he had stayed in the old house he would just pay renewal and not cost of renovating and cleaning up, No cost of agency, agreement , He wouldnt have been mandated to pay 2yrs rent like its expected of new renters.

Unexpected expense include Renovating the new house, cleaning up the new house, agreement, agency, legal fees and mandatory 2 or 3yrs are costs that come with new rentals that dont apply to rent extensions.

The Op was in the know about all these expense and didnt even complain about it, she just want him to miraculously go and find the money from somewhere for the wedding

And yet again none of what you have posted is unexpected. He knew that he was going to renew a lease and all these comes up with that. If he knew that the plan was going to change there should have been a sit down discussion with future wifey about what is up with the finances. Smaller house (rental) and a wedding that they are comfortable with. Not go out and spend money knowing that was not part of the plan. If it was me or any of my friends in the US I would wonder what the big deal was but this is NIgeria that you people feel like when you marry the woman she is now property hwo can you then say that it is okay for the man to tell his bride to be that the only choice they have now is for her to pay for the wedding all by herself. The man is shamelss or even worse not interested in the wedding preparations or even marriage.
Re: Am I Supposed To Pay For My Wedding? by dayokanu(m): 5:55pm On May 03, 2012
steph7: did you even read my post, or you just felt like quoting me. Okay Mr know it all, pls explain to me how the young man planned on paying his next rent. To me , he sound non chalant about the wedding, which is why I made the statement .didn't you also read the part I said there is nothing wrong in contributing! Illiteracy is a disease

He was prepared to extend on his old house which he had money to cover. But the old house was falling and he had to move out to get a new place.

Everyone knows getting a new place is way more expensive than extending. Extension can be done for 1yr, New house is nothing less than 2yrs.

Extension is free and doesnt need renovation, New house comes with cleaning cost, renovation, fees like Agency, agreement and lawyer plus movement cost

If cost of extension is 1m, new apartment would be at least 3m
Re: Am I Supposed To Pay For My Wedding? by igosee: 5:56pm On May 03, 2012
chaircover: I totally understand the reason why "hubby" doesn't have enough money to foot the wedding. Accommodation is very important, however I dont like the statement "shebi you have money"

People should learn to speak to their partners with respect and try and put themselves in the other persons shoes and feel what the other person feels before opening their mouths or taking any actions.

He could have said "Sweetheart, we have a problem. You know how much I love you and so much look forward to getting married to you in August, but this accommodation problem has exhausted all my funds. I know that this is not the norm and it is my responsibility to provide for this wedding, however is there any way that you can help me financially please. I will really appreciate it. See it as a loan and I will return it as soon as I am in a position to.

Unless the woman is mentally unstable, if a man approaches her with the right attitude, then she will be more than willing to help. pele lako pele labo

@chinwe please dont be annoyed jare, he is just forming. Please if you know that he is the right man for you, please assist him in whatever way that you can. A good man is worth more than a couple of hundreds thousand naira and he has heaps of time to pay you back over and over again in various different ways

As regards your question on how was he expecting to pay the rent anyway, he is no different from the millions of young men out there living from hand to mouth,thanks to the crazy economic situation of our great country Nigeria. many of us start married life with aluminum spoons in our mouths. God help us all.

And another thing, please dont borrow. I dont know why Nigerians like borrow borrow; borrow for school fees, borrow for wedding, borrow for accommodation. No No No cut your clothes according to your fabric and live within your means.

You are the best woman i have seen with your reasoning , i have been reading your contribution and you are great, God gave you wisdom and talents, use it the area of marriage counselling, i hope many women will be like you even my wife, God bless you
Re: Am I Supposed To Pay For My Wedding? by Cuteobi(f): 6:00pm On May 03, 2012
chaircover: A lot of you are not being realistic and people are talking a lot of theory rather than practice.

How many of you guys will seriously be comfortable with your bride paying for your suit and all the food that your side of the family ate at the wedding. She paid for the photographer, video man and even your own side of the gifts that your family should have bought as gifts to her side such as Yams, drinks etc Even her bride price she has to pay abi? is that not what her 80% is doing?

I want a happily married man/woman to come out and be truthful and say that they trusted and felt more comfortable & secure with their partner more than what they do years later. What am I saying?; trust, feeling secured, understanding and even maturity etc comes with time.

Jenny's husband paid for all the wedding but I doubt that all these years down the line she will refuse to put in her last dime to assist her husband if he needed financial help today. You cant compare the understanding that a newly married couple have with one that has been married for a decade. We all know that the first year or marriage is almost always the toughest. Why? because both are still getting used to each other and their roles.

Like I said in my first post, if she can assist then surely she should, but within reason. Its better that they cut their coat according to their size and have a low key wedding that he feels comfortable with and he can afford, rather than borrowing or using her 80% to fund the wedding. I will never encourage my man to borrow.

All this has nothing to do with being a kept woman/housewife/doormat. Whether we like to accept it or not there are some predefined roles in a relationship and when you start crossing things up, thats when you start getting strange results.

Tell them abegi!! Unrealistic pple!!
Re: Am I Supposed To Pay For My Wedding? by armadeo(m): 6:01pm On May 03, 2012
the fact you have to ask here on nl shows a comma. My wife and i contributed to our wedding and we still do to the household. The cash is not mine nor her's its ours. Our life our family our future. So your being hesitant shows some trust issues. I don't understand this issue of only man should pay for wedding. You Will wait tire and the man can then tell you i paid for you. Hope you love each other and knoW what you are doing. Wishing you all the best.

2 Likes

Re: Am I Supposed To Pay For My Wedding? by dayokanu(m): 6:02pm On May 03, 2012
Outstrip:

And yet again none of what you have posted is unexpected. He knew that he was going to renew a lease and all these comes up with that. If he knew that the plan was going to change there should have been a sit down discussion with future wifey about what is up with the finances. Smaller house (rental) and a wedding that they are comfortable with. Not go out and spend money knowing that was not part of the plan. If it was me or any of my friends in the US I would wonder what the big deal was but this is NIgeria that you people feel like when you marry the woman she is now property hwo can you then say that it is okay for the man to tell his bride to be that the only choice they have now is for her to pay for the wedding all by herself. The man is shamelss or even worse not interested in the wedding preparations or even marriage.

No ask around or go to property section. Lease renewal isnt the same as getting a new house. In Nigeria you dont pay all those agency, agreement, attorney cleaning and renovation on renewal

A renewal is usually for 1yr, A new lease is nothing less than 2yrs.

The solution is simple. Either she forgets about the wedding happening in August (cancellation or postponement) or she foots the bill

Only a Reetard tells her groom to go borrow for weddings and that should have shown the man the kind of wife he is about to marry
Re: Am I Supposed To Pay For My Wedding? by armyofone(m): 6:02pm On May 03, 2012
and how does that feed you a nice starbuck white chocolate mocha? how is it ya god damned business if i am omni centered?
phew, bruv don't make me miss playing my humvee simulation game.
Now, enjoy the rest of the day. gal gotta go for training wink

singing and hummming ''the potter's hand''

luckgames:
You sound very self centered
ME,ME type of person
Re: Am I Supposed To Pay For My Wedding? by digitalgeorgy(m): 6:03pm On May 03, 2012
the only reason why i prefer the 90s is that very little amount is spent on wedding!! Spending 2.5million on wedding stuffs and siping garri with ur wife after wedding is the ''MUMUest'' thing all men should flee from.
To the men: Dont borrow money from anybody for wedding including your spouse!! you will be suprise at what she'll say about that when you have problems with her in future!!
To the poster: if you think you're not the kind of ladies i just spoke about, then discuss things with your bfrnd!! Make sure he's not about to dupe you. Cos Guys are bad. He might be having other plans!! But if not, suggest a low-key wedding. Invite few people and dont spend all your cash hoping to get valuable gifts from people else u go brok.
Re: Am I Supposed To Pay For My Wedding? by Fhemmmy: 6:04pm On May 03, 2012
Outstrip:

According to the poster, where the dude was living was becoming bad and he has to move (I will assume that the lease was not even up) . . . Also, if the gentleman dont have to go and rent another house, he might have to pay for only one year rent and no other additional fees, but now he has to pay for 2 or more years and all the added fees . . . That is unexpected expenses that we need to cut the dude some slack.
Re: Am I Supposed To Pay For My Wedding? by Fhemmmy: 6:05pm On May 03, 2012
igosee:

You are the best woman i have seen with your reasoning , i have been reading your contribution and you are great, God gave you wisdom and talents, use it the area of marriage counselling, i hope many women will be like you even my wife, God bless you

Yes, she is a great person and all that, but on the fact that she thinks the man has to sell her blood to fund the wedding while the woman's account is chilling, be miss am . . . cheesy

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (18) (Reply)

I'm 22 Years Old And A Burden On My Family, I'm Thinking Of Leaving Home. / You Won't Have Problem With Your Mother In Law If You Follow These Steps / My Pregnant Neighbour Has Been Restless Because She's Carrying Twin

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 107
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.