Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,767 members, 7,831,471 topics. Date: Friday, 17 May 2024 at 07:13 PM

Am I Supposed To Pay For My Wedding? - Family (8) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Am I Supposed To Pay For My Wedding? (30674 Views)

I Just Started A Family! My Wedding Pics / Some Sweet USUALS Every Wife Is Supposed To Be Giving To Her Husband! / Some Sweet USUALS Every Husband Is Supposed To Be Giving To His Wife (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) ... (18) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Am I Supposed To Pay For My Wedding? by Sealeddeal(m): 6:05pm On May 03, 2012
Everything has a way it is done.no woman should contribute money for her marriage though white wedding may be considered in some ways.to me,the man should've asked his wife-to-be to help in the accomodation issue so dat he'll use his own money for the wedding though all be the same thing but they might make different meaning to different people.

2 Likes

Re: Am I Supposed To Pay For My Wedding? by Piyke: 6:06pm On May 03, 2012
I simply marvel at ladies these days. Are the two of you not becoming one? Some families have survived for some periods only from the income of the woman when unexpected things happen. I'm glad at the woman I married, we still share all we have including money.

There nothing wrong with a woman helping towards the costs of the wedding. If a woman has agreed to share her most priced possession; her body, with a man, what is money then?
Re: Am I Supposed To Pay For My Wedding? by luckgames(m): 6:07pm On May 03, 2012
armyofone: and how does that feed you a nice starbuck white chocolate mocha? how is it ya god damned business if i am omni centered?
phew, bruv don't make me miss playing my humvee simulation game.
Now, enjoy the rest of the day. gal gotta go for training wink

singing and hummming ''the potter's hand''

Training on how to be self center?
Go to hell evil lady
Guess other women will treat your brother the same way
Good luck
Re: Am I Supposed To Pay For My Wedding? by Claus(m): 6:09pm On May 03, 2012
My thoughts have already been expressed by the likes of Debosky, but I just want to write sha.

Culture and tradition are functions of time. You hold on to certain traditions because they are good, not just because they have been there for years.

Perhaps because I'm used to the concept of a woman's family contributing to weddings, I find it very strange that it's causing an issue. Even if it's 80%, if the husband had to spend the money in an emergency situation (and this does look like an emergency situation since my understanding of rent in Naija is that when moving to a new place you have to pay several years rent in advance, but if your current rent is expiring, you'll just have to pay the next year's rent) then she should be happy to help out even at 80%.

If you feel there'll be pressure from society coz you paid for your own wedding, then society doesn't need to know who paid. This is where discretion will protect you.

If you feel there'll be some future negative reaction from your husband coz you paid, then you shouldn't marry him.

3 Likes

Re: Am I Supposed To Pay For My Wedding? by ronkebp(f): 6:14pm On May 03, 2012
Claus: My thoughts have already been expressed by the likes of Debosky, but I just want to write sha.

Culture and tradition are functions of time. You hold on to certain traditions because they are good, not just because they have been there for years.

Perhaps because I'm used to the concept of a woman's family contributing to weddings, I find it very strange that it's causing an issue. Even if it's 80%, if the husband had to spend the money in an emergency situation (and this does look like an emergency situation since my understanding of rent in Naija is that when moving to a new place you have to pay several years rent in advance, but if your current rent is expiring, you'll just have to pay the next year's rent) then she should be happy to help out even at 80%.

If you feel there'll be pressure from society coz you paid for your own wedding, then society doesn't need to know who paid. This is where discretion will protect you.

If you feel there'll be some future negative reaction from your husband coz you paid, then you shouldn't marry him.

Claus i like what you have just posted here, but my question is, forget about the emergency situation, the guys rent was supposed to expire september anyways, that is, it will be a month or few weeks after his wedding. Where did he think he was going to get the money to renew his rent or get a new place?
Re: Am I Supposed To Pay For My Wedding? by luckgames(m): 6:16pm On May 03, 2012
ronkebp:

Claus i like what you have just posted here, but my question is, forget about the emergency situation, the guys rent was supposed to expire september anyways, that is, it will be a month or few weeks after his wedding. Where did he think he was going to get the money to renew his rent or get a new place?

This dude can't foot the bill for the wedding alone
OK, now what?
Re: Am I Supposed To Pay For My Wedding? by Nobody: 6:18pm On May 03, 2012
*****MBJ goes on his knees and start praying*****

[b]In the name of Jesus, I want to thank you father for sparing my life from ever meeting such ungrateful wicked women/monsters, as some of the ones portrayed on this thread. o holy father pls keep on guiding me away from these leeches and guarding me from being trapped by one of them. I give you glory for your creation, but these our sistas are just too much, obviously the evil serpent still has a hold on their minds. In your name I bind all demonic forces that have come upon their possessed minds, and I seal all of them in the protection of Your Precious Blood that was shed for us on the cross. Mary, our Mother, we seek your guidance to lead these women on the right path with the Sacred Heart of Jesus, and surround us with your mantle of love to discourage these enemies of progress to ever succeed. St. Michael and our Guardian Angels, come protect us in battle against all the evil greedy ungrateful women that roam the earth. In the Name of Jesus, I bind and command all the powers and forces of evil to depart RIGHT NOW away from the minds of these lost women, our homes and our lands. And we thank you Lord Jesus for You are a faithful and compassionate God.

let me hear you say AMEN
[/b]

2 Likes

Re: Am I Supposed To Pay For My Wedding? by dayokanu(m): 6:18pm On May 03, 2012
ronkebp:

His rent expires in September and he would have simply extended by paying one year rent. If you pay 1m for extension you would definitely pay over 3m in a new apartment cos Now he has to pay multiple years, renovate, clean, pay agency fees etc which upset his budget.

The solution is simple and you have said it. Postpone or cancel the wedding if the OP is not willing to contribute

But given her dumb outlook to life she think borrowing is a better option
Re: Am I Supposed To Pay For My Wedding? by luckgames(m): 6:23pm On May 03, 2012
MRbrownJAY: *****MBJ goes on his knees and start praying*****

[b]In the name of Jesus, I want to thank you father for sparing my life from ever meeting such ungrateful wicked women/monsters, as some of the ones portrayed on this thread. o holy father pls keep on guiding me away from these leeches and guarding me from being trapped by one of them. I give you glory for your creation, but these our sistas are just too much, obviously the evil serpent still has a hold on their minds. In your name I bind all demonic forces that have come upon their possessed minds, and I seal all of them in the protection of Your Precious Blood that was shed for us on the cross. Mary, our Mother, we seek your guidance to lead these women on the right path with the Sacred Heart of Jesus, and surround us with your mantle of love to discourage these enemies of progress to ever succeed. St. Michael and our Guardian Angels, come protect us in battle against all the evil greedy ungrateful women that roam the earth. In the Name of Jesus, I bind and command all the powers and forces of evil to depart RIGHT NOW away from the minds of these lost women, our homes and our lands. And we thank you Lord Jesus for You are a faithful and compassionate God.

let me hear you say AMEN
[/b]
AMEN, AMEN
Re: Am I Supposed To Pay For My Wedding? by dayokanu(m): 6:24pm On May 03, 2012

let me hear you say AMEN
[/b]

[size=28pt]AMENNNN[/size]
Re: Am I Supposed To Pay For My Wedding? by texazzpete(m): 6:27pm On May 03, 2012
chinwe11: Nairalanders, i have some questions oh. I am getting married in August..............my fiance and i are both working, but the house where he is staying now is having some problems, and might fall soon, so the landlord told them all to evacuate so he can renovate. (The rent was expiring in September anyway) My fiance then decided to use part of the money for the wedding to rent a new house for us. The problem now is, after renting the house, he had to do renovations etc, and now the wedding for the money is almost finished to about 20% left. he is now saying shebi i also have money that i should make up the remaining 80%. Please nairalanders what do you think? Is a woman supposed to pay the bulk money for the wedding?

Afterall what plans did he have for rent after the wedding? I told him to borrow money he said no.

Why are people treating you with kid gloves here?

Marriage is supposed to be about two becoming ONE. Does he really NEED to beg you first before you contribute? You want him to take a LOAN to do wedding, go into debt just so you sit on your own stash...

Kai! Instead of giving him the brainless suggestion of taking a loan, why not act as the life companion you're supposed to be and tell him to scale down on the wedding costs instead.

If i had the chance, i'd implore your unfortunate fiance to flee as far away from you as possible. You haven't even married yet and you're showing a far greater affinity for 'tradition' than love and understanding.

ronkebp:

I read it well, he does not have enough money yet to marry and pay for the house, it is the same thing we are talking about, bobo yen o ni owo 'igbe-yawo yet. so the marraige ceremony should be postponed. If the lady wants the marraige "at all cost", then she should foot the bill. But am sure in the future, the man will brag about he was not the one that married her, she forced herself on him by paying for the wedding.

As usual, shitty advice...you think the lady wants the wedding postponed indefinitely? Since when did you become pyschic to be 'sure' of what the man will brag about in the future?

I advice the OP to steer clear of people like yourself with terrible, relationship destroying advice.
Re: Am I Supposed To Pay For My Wedding? by dokunbam(m): 6:28pm On May 03, 2012
Help your hubby out ☀̤̣̈̇f the situation. Woman you don't need τ̅☺ ask us here. You should know the right thing τ̅☺ do. Women ₪☺ D̶̲̥̅̊ε̲̣̣̣̥γ̲̣̣̥ won spend their own moni. Haba
Re: Am I Supposed To Pay For My Wedding? by ronkebp(f): 6:28pm On May 03, 2012

let me hear you say AMEN
[/b]

And you ask 'amiss'
Re: Am I Supposed To Pay For My Wedding? by Nobody: 6:30pm On May 03, 2012
armyofone: You should see the current bride price and dowry for my head shocked grin grin
but Nkem is joyous cheesy a man should be able to do everything without eyeing his lady's wallet tongue. after marriage, yes, before marriage, nah!
OP, this guy na future kata kata, watch out.

He that findeth a good lady, findeth joy from the Lord.
i forget the chapter and v, no ask me.

Preach sister. cool My father at some point told him he wasn't going to let me marry him if he(The hottest baby in town kiss) does not let him contribute atleast something. It was when my father threatened him he let his guard down small just for a few things, if not, the man was willing to shoot like a boeing 767 air plane. cool Even after marriage, I was not allowed to work at all. Let me tell you's that there is nothing like marrying the man that god has prepared for you, when you marry he that is sent by God, every thing works out well.

This is why I beg my sisters on this forum not to marry stingy men like dayo, debo and co. Na this kain fight una go fight before taking the oath grin
Re: Am I Supposed To Pay For My Wedding? by luckgames(m): 6:32pm On May 03, 2012
dokunbam: Help your hubby out ☀̤̣̈̇f the situation. Woman you don't need τ̅☺ ask us here. You should know the right thing τ̅☺ do. Women ₪☺ D̶̲̥̅̊ε̲̣̣̣̥γ̲̣̣̥ won spend their own moni. Haba

How will they help out if they think men are slave to TOTO
I hope the dude call off the wedding
She need to marry herself
Re: Am I Supposed To Pay For My Wedding? by Fhemmmy: 6:32pm On May 03, 2012
dayokanu:

His rent expires in September and he would have simply extended by paying one year rent. If you pay 1m for extension you would definitely pay over 3m in a new apartment cos Now he has to pay multiple years, renovate, clean, pay agency fees etc which upset his budget.

The solution is simple and you have said it. Postpone or cancel the wedding if the OP is not willing to contribute

Help me tell them oh
Re: Am I Supposed To Pay For My Wedding? by Nobody: 6:35pm On May 03, 2012
Tgirl4real:

But Jenny, once she has agreed to marry him things are different now. Its not like she is setting him up on a biz or sponsoring his Edu. This is their wedding ceremony. And we both know that a huge chunck of the money will be spent on the bride.

I see why we have a lot of unmarried live-in couples trying to save up for their wedding. These people will end up living together for like 5-10 years without tying the knot. At the end of the day, the guy will leave and marry another girl. We've seen a lot of threads like that here. grin

Live in Lovers ke? grin It might interest you to know that I did not move in with him until after we said I DO. After the trad marriage, I went home with him and his family on a saturday plus I slept(my choice) in the same room with his sisters and then returned to my father's village on Monday, then went back to Lagos on Tuesday with the rest of my family. Live in lovers does not go down well with me at all. You marry me, I will live with you. No marriage no show. No be person tell the man to sell groundnut on the street to marry this girl the following week post trad. grin

Tgirl, that man is not ready for marriage, which man looks at his wife to be and tells her to foot 80% of the bill? in which planet? when did Mercury collabo with Mars?
Re: Am I Supposed To Pay For My Wedding? by Nobody: 6:35pm On May 03, 2012
dayokanu:

He was prepared to extend on his old house which he had money to cover. But the old house was falling and he had to move out to get a new place.

Everyone knows getting a new place is way more expensive than extending. Extension can be done for 1yr, New house is nothing less than 2yrs.

Extension is free and doesnt need renovation, New house comes with cleaning cost, renovation, fees like Agency, agreement and lawyer plus movement cost

If cost of extension is 1m, new apartment would be at least 3m
I get your point but its obvious the groom is non chalant about the wedding.abeg the bride shud contribute to her wedding, even my cuz dat is unemployed still made huge contibutions to her own wedding. Don't borrow, cut down on your crowd or postpone the wedding. Dayo after the wedding the groom shouldn't be broke, that's why people save towards a wedding and unexpected financial costs like this shouldn't have a major effect on the wedding.
Re: Am I Supposed To Pay For My Wedding? by ronkebp(f): 6:38pm On May 03, 2012
dayokanu:

Dayo for which area....lekki which renovation is there again in a new apartment?? that has just been newly built, did he get a 4 bedroom uncompleted building and decided to finish the building ni?
Re: Am I Supposed To Pay For My Wedding? by Digitalman1: 6:39pm On May 03, 2012
chinwe11: Nairalanders, i have some questions oh. I am getting married in August..............my fiance and i are both working, but the house where he is staying now is having some problems, and might fall soon, so the landlord told them all to evacuate so he can renovate. (The rent was expiring in September anyway) My fiance then decided to use part of the money for the wedding to rent a new house for us. The problem now is, after renting the house, he had to do renovations etc, and now the wedding for the money is almost finished to about 20% left. he is now saying shebi i also have money that i should make up the remaining 80%. Please nairalanders what do you think? Is a woman supposed to pay the bulk money for the wedding?

Afterall what plans did he have for rent after the wedding? I told him to borrow money he said no.
it seem obviou that u don love him,if really love him u will not say no. After all ur money is his and vice verser
Re: Am I Supposed To Pay For My Wedding? by deols(f): 6:41pm On May 03, 2012
I can remember a thread where the men were asked what they value most in women and about 99% of them mentioned submission. How does a woman submit then when they have to pay 50-50 into running the home.

Or are we not talking of the same Nigerian men who want to sit after work, carrying newspapers while at the same time watching the news as the wife runs helter skelter, after work too, trying to prepare their meal(Yh! the nollywood presentation of an average nija man->cant be far from the truth).

I really wont have a problem with it if they'd share the house chores, rotate child care, etc.But how feasible is that?

Let the man up his game and the wedding according to his means. The wife should help out as a matter of choice and never as an obligation. Abi what do the holy books say of the role of the man in the marriage again??

@op, that's my own view o.

1 Like

Re: Am I Supposed To Pay For My Wedding? by Nobody: 6:41pm On May 03, 2012
Busy_body:

Na who wan do marriage ehn cheesy

Nor be she dey wear the shoe and sabi wey e dey pain am

Na whose biological clock dey overspeed ehn

Thank God I did not come as a Nigerian man, you girls for don smell pepper nor be small grin

PI Detective Bisi, has a nice ring to it cheesy

Ehn, I would have married a JAMO or a German. Kini Big deal? who does not want to born correct half caste sef grin .I am drooling over Van Vicker today cos of his mixed blood. So why won't I want to make one that will bring potential wives into my house to help me cook and clean house for free cool
Re: Am I Supposed To Pay For My Wedding? by sharpman1(m): 6:43pm On May 03, 2012
First off........it is unacceptable for a 'wife to be' to tell her 'husband to be' to go and borrow money for a wedding ceremony. The ideal thing to do is to cut your coat according to your size. I doubt if i'll remain with ANY woman that makes such a suggestion.

Secondly, where i come from, it is the woman AND HER FAMILY that is the host of the wedding ceremony so they should ideally foot the bill. This is to let the husband understand that he is not picking a wife from a family that does not have some honor. The husband and his family may (but they almost always do) contribute so as not to overburden the bride's family and also to ensure that their own guests are well catered for.

Of course, it is the responsibility the husband to take care of the wife after the wedding......but a wise woman would also want to contribute to building her home......so that she can confidently claim a stake.....and not be taken granted by the husband.

For me, I will not spend money that i don't have on any ceremony. I owe my wife and her family the engagement items that is requested for. I also owe her her wedding gown, outfits and probably the wedding cake. After that, whatever i do is not an obligation. It must be based on a proper cost benefit analysis.

Whoever wants a big and grand wedding (my family or her's) should be willing to pay for it.

I regard the OP as selfish and very inconsiderate. You want to get married and start thinking of how to pay debts Even after you know that he just paid for an apartment. Do you know how much it costs to rent and renovate? would you prefer he spends ALL his money on the wedding then you guys start looking for where to live?
Re: Am I Supposed To Pay For My Wedding? by Nobody: 6:47pm On May 03, 2012
Submissive am I? a 100% no shaking cool Infact submission in the bedroom and outside bedroom is the quickest way to get what I want from him cheesy I learnt that a long time ago and I am testifying to the goodness and benefits of submission cool But me use my own money to marry a man? OK if I marry him will he help me carry the pregnancy into the labor room and deliver himself of that child? ehn, since we want to start exchanging roles oya do some of ours.
Re: Am I Supposed To Pay For My Wedding? by Donmeca(m): 6:47pm On May 03, 2012
Having patiently read d first page, I can guage d mentality of d poster, her hubby and d army of advisers.

What are involved in a wedding?
1. From d lady- aso ebi for bridal train, wedding gown, her family uniform, her mum's aso ebi, hair and make up, bride's maid.
2. Frm d guy- his suit, bestman, drinks, food (which d lady often insists on d costliest), family dress n means of transportation. D guy mostly gets his committee of frnds to do d running arnd.
3. From both parties- venue, canopies, chairs, MC, live band/DJ, IV, sourvenirs...and number of guests. My list is not exhaustive anyways...jux general

Mostimes, d lady makes d choices in 1 and 3 above but wont pay 4dem so d guy pays but there had been an unstated agreement that d guy wud foot d bill 4dis wedding. Unfortunately, something happened and his resources went thin...and d wedding has to go ahead. What do we do?

I am stepping into Abuja from my friend's wedding in Enugu (last sat) and i was privy to d prepping. This guy did d running around and paid....without asking his girl 4money yet he cudnt av completely foot d bill without it affecting his means of livelihood. But what did dis sweet chic do? She took over items in 1 above plus sourvenirs in number 3....she organised and paid 4dem! That reduces d cost on my guy's head. Recall dat no one prompted her to take over doz. Again, she didnt ask for an elaborate display of wealth. She infact suggested a combined celebration of church and traditional weddings....where d traditional doubles as a wedding reception. So guests who cudnt make it to d church went straight to her father's compd where we didnt hav to rent a hall.

She also made sure there was food was food...my guy paid but she organised it and added some cash wen d vendor demanded some more...she also made d 3 diff cakes (wedding, igbankwu and her hubby's birthday)....she paid! And she is not desperate....she is young, has a good job plus a masters degree. Items in number 2 are chiefly a guy's thing....and d cost is reasonable if 1 and 3 are shared or taken out.

OP pls b reasonable....I tell my chic dat with her, I have no ego....no male pride again...shelve ur pride and take out some items from ur wedding plan and fund dem totally. U may not give him d cash...4get all dis "he is d man" u hear here. Most of dem will not mind paying a 100% (codedly)...just to keep d good man.

3 Likes

Re: Am I Supposed To Pay For My Wedding? by Mzbea: 6:48pm On May 03, 2012
If u say u love this man and are already sharing a home with him. Y don't u guys finish renovating the house 2gether have a civil court wedding and a beatiful reception in your home. That way the cost is minimal, and u can still look pretty and have money for a honeymoon after.
Re: Am I Supposed To Pay For My Wedding? by Nobody: 6:48pm On May 03, 2012
I have read your previous posts and I am sorry to say both of you should not be getting married. You do not love each other that is why you come crying out to Nairaland every two weeks for advice. You and your fiancee are not communicating and definitely not in love.
In your previous post, you said the reason why you dont want to leave him is that you are 29 and scared you may not find someone else. If you found someone else today you would dump his broke ass and he clearly knows that. May be that is why he has been cold to you and he wouldn't show you love.
There is nothing wrong in helping your fiancee with wedding expenses, when you know he does not have. You two are becoming one so you should be talking about our money not my money. You clearly do not love this man neither do you think he is worth it, and he does not love you too thats why he will tell you "shebi you have your money too".
Love covers a multitude of sin, and when there is no love, little issues escalate. I will advice you to cancel the wedding. You both will find love elsewhere.

3 Likes

Re: Am I Supposed To Pay For My Wedding? by dayokanu(m): 6:51pm On May 03, 2012
ronkebp:

Dayo for which area....lekki which renovation is there again in a new apartment?? that has just been newly built, did he get a 4 bedroom uncompleted building and decided to finish the building ni?

As at 2007 when I was looking for a house in Surulere the cost of a 2 bedroom was around 500k, I would have paid for at least 2 yrs, Some landlords wanted 3yrs added to agreement, commission and agency

My cousin just rented a house in Magodo and he paid 1.2m a yr for it in 2011. 2.4m for 2yrs plus agency commission and everything over 3.5m

So you need to update your ideas about rental costs in Nigeria. Is it not in the same Nigeria where they sell a plot of Land for 400m thats over 3m Dollars for an empty land that even floods in rainy season
Re: Am I Supposed To Pay For My Wedding? by tlops(m): 6:53pm On May 03, 2012
Naija girls and their "man-must-support-me"mentality. Don't add your cash oh. just wait till they serve guguru and epa on your wedding day.
Re: Am I Supposed To Pay For My Wedding? by deols(f): 6:55pm On May 03, 2012
In many cases the bride chips in and her family does too. I have a problem with the guy demanding and not even demanding right but telling her 'shebi she also has money' @ that point, he sold his birth right.
Re: Am I Supposed To Pay For My Wedding? by dabrake(m): 6:56pm On May 03, 2012

Afterall what plans did he have for rent after the wedding? I told him to borrow money
he said no.
i only pity the dude. I wish he knew the type of person he wanna get married to. Somewhere deep in your heart, you're hoping we will be against you helping him out. So when you get married, won't you live in the house? He should borrow money to fund the wedding shey? I hope our guys will learn from this 'episode'

1 Like

Re: Am I Supposed To Pay For My Wedding? by ronkebp(f): 6:56pm On May 03, 2012
dayokanu:

As at 2007 when I was looking for a house in Surulere the cost of a 2 bedroom was around 500k, I would have paid for at least 2 yrs, Some landlords wanted 3yrs added to agreement, commission and agency

My cousin just rented a house in Magodo and he paid 1.2m a yr for it in 2011. 2.4m for 2yrs plus agency commission and everything over 3.5m

So you need to update your ideas about rental costs in Nigeria. Is it not in the same Nigeria where they sell a plot of Land for 400m thats over 3m Dollars for an empty land that even floods in rainy season

I thought the rent thingy has been reduced to 1 year now especially in Lagos, instead of the 2 or 3 years that lanlords request

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) ... (18) (Reply)

After Marriage, How Long Should People Wait To Have Kids / Mothers Please Advice A Frustrated Married Man. / Man Demands His Bride Price After He Found Out His Wife Is Not A Virgin,

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 123
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.