Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,195,456 members, 7,958,374 topics. Date: Wednesday, 25 September 2024 at 01:24 PM

The Controversy Over Lagos. . . .na Who Own The Land ? - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / The Controversy Over Lagos. . . .na Who Own The Land ? (9072 Views)

Flood Takes Over Lagos-Ibadan Expressway This Morning (Photos) / Photos: Helicopters With Flags Seen Flying Over Lagos / Controversy Over Al-makura’s Son’s Alleged N1.5B Wedding In U.S. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Controversy Over Lagos. . . .na Who Own The Land ? by Obi1kenobi(m): 10:33am On May 07, 2012
CyberG: Funny how the mostly tribal Ibo posters are threatening about a land your ancestors had NO clue about! Again, to ONLYLIES and TRIBAL-IGBO, move away NOW while you have the time! On one hand, you do not like Nigeria and want to secede, but at the same time want to benefit from the law of the country that allows you to lease land in the "old country". How is that possible? Did the Jews not own (by purchase) any land in Germany before the Second World War? Is it by force or must you die because you want to travel thousands of KM to steal a land you do not own? You say you hate the SW but you can't keep coming to their land to live, work, feed your family and send home some change and when it is all over because you WANT to, you insist YOU MUST OWN their LAND? Well, this is only possible on the internet and I challenge you to go over there to Isale Eko and make your spurious claims.

Are you being deliberately daft or are you just plain brain dead. So the fact Igbos can afford to legally acquire land and property in Lagos with no constitutional or institutional constraints, you equate it to stealing? Whose fault is it the SW mostly imports beggars and agbero to Lagos while a new wave of economically vibrant Igbos continue to gobble up propery in Lagos while you're here bleating about it. If a Yoruba man sells his ancestral land to me as an Igbo man, under what perverse, twisted logic can you justify claiming the land belongs to him simply because his ancestors once owned it? Insecure cretins who can't engage their little brains and still choose to reason like bigotted barbarians in the 21st century. sad
Re: The Controversy Over Lagos. . . .na Who Own The Land ? by Obi1kenobi(m): 10:40am On May 07, 2012
CyberG: Point one finger and four point back to you. I am sure the SWesterners will allow everyone move their houses away but a square inch of space? NEVER!

Dude, you are bleating here under the cloak of internet anonymity. You and your other loud-mouthed brethren can't do diddly-squat in the real world. Lagos has become a cosmopolitan no-man's land and will continue to evolve as such. If anything, if the state government decides to deport economic liabilities from the state, even more Yorubas would be shifted out than other Southern groups. We are here to stay and there's absolutely nothing you can do other than rant and bang your head on your keyboard.
Re: The Controversy Over Lagos. . . .na Who Own The Land ? by aljharem(m): 10:40am On May 07, 2012
Obi1kenobi:

Are you being deliberately daft or are you just plain brain dead. So the fact Igbos can afford to legally acquire land and property in Lagos with no constitutional or institutional constraints, you equate it to stealing? Whose fault is it the SW mostly imports beggars and agbero to Lagos while a new wave of economically vibrant Igbos continue to gobble up propery in Lagos while you're here bleating about it. If a Yoruba man sells his ancestral land to me as an Igbo man, under what perverse, twisted logic can you justify claiming the land belongs to him simply because his ancestors once owned it? Insecure cretins who can't engage their little brains and still choose to reason like bigotted barbarians in the 21st century. sad

Biko Nwannem

calm down. CyberG was just angry. I am an indigene of Lagos from the royal household and we are all one with the Igbos,

So my brother reduce your anger, no one is taking anyones hard sweat. Please don't take NL too serious. smiley
Re: The Controversy Over Lagos. . . .na Who Own The Land ? by AlusiOkija: 10:42am On May 07, 2012
Obi1kenobi:

Dude, you are bleating here under the cloak of internet anonymity. You and your other loud-mouthed brethren can't do diddly-squat in the real world. Lagos has become a cosmopolitan no-man's land and will continue to evolve as such. If anything, if the state government decides to deport economic liabilities from the state, even more Yorubas would be shifted out than other Southern groups. We are here to stay and there's absolutely nothing you can do other than rant and bang your head on your keyboard.

Gbam!!

All the NURTW's. Alayes, OPC and co would leave... THey are the nuisance in Lagos!!
Re: The Controversy Over Lagos. . . .na Who Own The Land ? by aljharem(m): 10:43am On May 07, 2012
@Obi and co

You have to understand that people get angry when you call Lagos a no-mans-land. With that said, Lagos would not be where it is without Igbos, Yorubas and Hausas working together. We indigenes acknowledge the Igbos and we are one with them but please stop insulting yorubas just cause you have a plot in Surulere or so. It is very annoying.

Again we are one because we have no where to run to. The sooner we all start working together, the better
Re: The Controversy Over Lagos. . . .na Who Own The Land ? by Obi1kenobi(m): 10:45am On May 07, 2012
alj harem:

Biko Nwannem

calm down. CyberG was just angry. I am an indigene of Lagos from the royal household and we are all one with the Igbos,

So my brother reduce your anger, no one is taking anyones hard sweat. Please don't take NL too serious. smiley

He certainly sounds serious, though his ranting is of no consequence. I despair for this country when I read the garbage some people come out with on this forum. Imagine claiming people stole your lands when your own government and "sons of the soil" sold it to you.

1 Like

Re: The Controversy Over Lagos. . . .na Who Own The Land ? by aljharem(m): 10:49am On May 07, 2012
Obi1kenobi:

He certainly sounds serious, though his ranting is of no consequence. I despair for this country when I read the garbage some people come out with on this forum. Imagine claiming people stole your lands when your own government and "sons of the soil" sold it to you.

You have to understand people say nasty things on this site because of anger. I have said it before that anyone that thinks he can just steal another man's sweat would be in for a huge shock of his life ie if he lives to tell the story.

We say things to get back at people does not mean we mean it. I have said some horrible things as well because of what I read but I can sense some seriousness in your quote that is why I had to come in.

Please watch what you take in.
Re: The Controversy Over Lagos. . . .na Who Own The Land ? by Obi1kenobi(m): 10:51am On May 07, 2012
alj harem: @Obi and co

You have to understand that people get angry when you call Lagos a no-mans-land. With that said, Lagos would not be where it is without Igbos, Yorubas and Hausas working together. We indigenes acknowledge the Igbos and we are one with them but please stop insulting yorubas just cause you have a plot in Surulere or so. It is very annoying.

Again we are one because we have no where to run to. The sooner we all start working together, the better

Lagos may be the ancestral home of Yoruba groups but the current demographic distribution doesn't come anywhere close to the old Yoruba dominance. Don't get me wrong, they are still a majority but the margin's getting narrower and narrower. My street in Satellite Town doesn't have a single Yoruba resident and my old close in Festac had just a single Yoruba family. Like a New York or a London, Lagos is a cultural melting pot and has to viewed differently from other SW states.
Re: The Controversy Over Lagos. . . .na Who Own The Land ? by aljharem(m): 10:51am On May 07, 2012
@ Obi

Again I apologise on his behalf and any horrible thing you have read. A lagosian is a Lagosian irrespective of tribe. It is that Onlytruth that like to discuss about properties etc knowing full well he has none in Lagos.
Re: The Controversy Over Lagos. . . .na Who Own The Land ? by CyberG: 10:55am On May 07, 2012
Alh, no I am not angry, why would I? I repeat when the law that upholds Nigeria currently expires; EVERYONE including the posters MUST carry their slippers on their heads and LEAVE. Simple! If you are lucky enough, Naija stays like it is but once everyone gets their own country, you will either leave or become permanently unavailable. No need to get angry about it!!
Re: The Controversy Over Lagos. . . .na Who Own The Land ? by aljharem(m): 11:01am On May 07, 2012
CyberG: Alh, no I am not angry, why would I? I repeat when the law that upholds Nigeria currently expires; EVERYONE including the posters MUST carry their slippers on their heads and LEAVE. Simple! If you are lucky enough, Naija stays like it is but once everyone gets their own country, you will either leave or become permanently unavailable. No need to get angry about it!!

Ok I do understand, but my ideology is different.

I would rather allow any lagosian as of that time to be citizens of the new Odua republic.

We also need creativity and diversity. (Just being honest)
Re: The Controversy Over Lagos. . . .na Who Own The Land ? by onyengbu: 12:15pm On May 07, 2012
CyberG: Alh, no I am not angry, why would I? I repeat when the law that upholds Nigeria currently expires; EVERYONE including the posters MUST carry their slippers on their heads and LEAVE. Simple! If you are lucky enough, Naija stays like it is but once everyone gets their own country, you will either leave or become permanently unavailable. No need to get angry about it!!
You guys are becoming more desperate about nigeria's break up more than the biafrans.
What happened grin is it because of abandoned properties or could it be that the northerners are disappointing you guys already in the current nigerian arangement?

what ever it is, stop praying that nigeria will disintegrate cos it might never happen and there might no longer be owners and settlers in lagos in the next 50 years. Can you tell me who is a settler in New York? Do yoruba people not also own lands in new York?
Re: The Controversy Over Lagos. . . .na Who Own The Land ? by jason123: 12:22pm On May 07, 2012
onye_ngbu*:

You guys are becoming more desperate about nigeria's break up more than the biafrans.
What happened grin is it because of abandoned properties or could it be that the northerners are disappointing you guys already in the current nigerian arangement?

what ever it is, stop praying that nigeria will disintegrate cos it might never happen and there might no longer be owners and settlers in lagos in the next 50 years. Can you tell me who is a settler in New York? Do yoruba people not also own lands in new York?

There will still be as long as there are Yorubas in other states. This is simple logic.

Yes they do but they obey the laws of the land. If they are not US citizens and the State government decides to get rid of them, it will be done by deportation. The same thing can be applicable.
Re: The Controversy Over Lagos. . . .na Who Own The Land ? by jason123: 12:25pm On May 07, 2012
I can't believe people are still arguing this.

Anyone with a brain can tell that if Nigeria remains ONE, then, every Nigerian has a right to Lagos and other cities.

If there is a break up, you'll become aliens in these cities and might be deported.
Re: The Controversy Over Lagos. . . .na Who Own The Land ? by jason123: 12:29pm On May 07, 2012
In one Nigeria, Igbos could leave their properties in Port harcourt during the civil war. In one Nigeria, angry Deltans could make Northerners leave Delta/Edo state within a week. In one Nigeria, angry Northerners could make Igbos almost have a refugee crises about a few months back. How much more a break-up/split?!
Re: The Controversy Over Lagos. . . .na Who Own The Land ? by onyengbu: 12:37pm On May 07, 2012
jason123:

There will still be as long as there are Yorubas in other states. This is simple logic.

Yes they do but they obey the laws of the land. If they are not US citizens and the State government decides to get rid of them, it will be done by deportation. The same thing can be applicable.
The OP never said anything about break up. He is talking about NOW and you guys are jumping all over the place with nigeria's break up.
My point remains that Nigeria is still unbroken and might remain so for ever! My question then is why are you guys harping more on this break up issue more than any other person.

What happened? cheesy

1 Like

Re: The Controversy Over Lagos. . . .na Who Own The Land ? by ak47mann(m): 12:40pm On May 07, 2012
cool cool drama unfold cool cool cool
Re: The Controversy Over Lagos. . . .na Who Own The Land ? by ak47mann(m): 12:46pm On May 07, 2012
onye_ngbu*:

The OP never said anything about break up. He is talking about NOW and you guys are jumping all over the place with nigeria's break up.
My point remains that Nigeria is still unbroken and might remain so for ever! My question then is why are you guys harping more on this break up issue more than any other person.

What happened? cheesy
because they are like these in the union cool

Re: The Controversy Over Lagos. . . .na Who Own The Land ? by jason123: 12:47pm On May 07, 2012
onye_ngbu*:

What happened? cheesy

Nothing wrong with it now. The thread was derail by Onlytruth. As far as my family is concerned, they stay in Lagos (even though they are from Delta) hence, they are Lagosians! If there is a split as onlytruth suggested, I'll advise them to relocate if the locals are hostile!

Onlytruth: So, should Nigeria disintegrate, nothing short of full indigenship for those land owners would suffice or be acceptable.
Re: The Controversy Over Lagos. . . .na Who Own The Land ? by nku5: 1:52pm On May 07, 2012

All this chest beating about people leaving. Its hot air as far as I'm concerned. The real Lagosians no dey do all this xenophobic gra gra. I believe exposure to diverse peoples, nations and tongues has ensured a level of sophistication that hinterland states may not easily meet up to.

If the country is to split, issues like the question of non-indigenes shall be addressed maturedly and properly by leaders of thought and not street mobs.

Back to topic - simple answer to the question is

1. Aworis originally owned the lands we refer today as Eko
2. The land use act of 1978 puts it in the hands of the governor on behalf of lagosians
Re: The Controversy Over Lagos. . . .na Who Own The Land ? by lagcity(m): 2:41pm On May 07, 2012
Well, he who pays for the land owns the land. Until kasala burst and everyone scampers to his ancestral region.
Re: The Controversy Over Lagos. . . .na Who Own The Land ? by ENEONWO(m): 3:11pm On May 07, 2012
I have since come to the conclusion that NL is made up of 92%, ignoramuses cum ethnic bigots & 8% sound, independent thinkers. I should expect ONLYTRUTH to learn to ignore those incorrigible demented internet war-mongers who are dragging the society centuries behind development. People from all parts of Nigeria own lands in choice parts of the world. International laws guarantee such property rights, such that even when deported, property owners loose residency rights but remain entitled to their properties. Why do people think the case will be different with Nigeria? The International Court of Justice will settle that, if it rears up
Re: The Controversy Over Lagos. . . .na Who Own The Land ? by achi4u(m): 3:19pm On May 07, 2012
Yorubas need igbos most
Re: The Controversy Over Lagos. . . .na Who Own The Land ? by niggadee(m): 4:11pm On May 07, 2012
nku5:

All this chest beating about people leaving. Its hot air as far as I'm concerned. The real Lagosians no dey do all this xenophobic gra gra. I believe exposure to diverse peoples, nations and tongues has ensured a level of sophistication that hinterland states may not easily meet up to.

If the country is to split, issues like the question of non-indigenes shall be addressed maturedly and properly by leaders of thought and not street mobs.

Back to topic - simple answer to the question is

1. Aworis originally owned the lands we refer today as Eko
2. The land use act of 1978 puts it in the hands of the governor on behalf of lagosians
1. Is false not all lagosians indigenes are aworis.. I'm originally from ibeju lekki and we speak yoruba ijebu dialect and I'm indigene of Lagos
Re: The Controversy Over Lagos. . . .na Who Own The Land ? by CyberG: 4:28pm On May 07, 2012
alj harem:

Ok I do understand, but my ideology is different.

I would rather allow any lagosian as of that time to be citizens of the new Odua republic.

We also need creativity and diversity. (Just being honest)

Yes, we can differ on opinion but like I opined in a previous post, I think you lace a lot of your posts with APPEASEMENT to people who would rather capsize the ship called Nigeria. How will they not do the same when you naively allow then an inch of a foothold? Do you know cities were sabotaged in war by allowing someone who hates you to stay behind thinking they will reciprocate your generosity and humanity?

If they creativity and diversity is not seen as a MAJOR advantage and a source of strength for Nigeria, is it when you divide it that you will get the creativity and diversity? Naija many never be divided or many never need to if people realize that the only two groups in Nigeria are the people who steal the nation blind from every tribe and religious persuasion and their enablers and the people who suffer for it (the majority). Until the wronged majority rise up to destroy the corrupt minority, Naija will not move forward.
Re: The Controversy Over Lagos. . . .na Who Own The Land ? by amosy007: 5:18pm On May 07, 2012
abeg are the aworis not yorubas?
Re: The Controversy Over Lagos. . . .na Who Own The Land ? by niggadee(m): 6:14pm On May 07, 2012
amosy007: abeg ar the aworis not yorubas?
nah they are originally igbo people grin Lol
Re: The Controversy Over Lagos. . . .na Who Own The Land ? by NegroNtns(m): 6:29pm On May 07, 2012
Amor4ce,

I read the blog, you are baaad! lol, very good write up! If you did not read Amor4ce' blog, please do so. Link to it from his post on this thread.

On the issue, there are two topics coupled into one. First, the controversy of encroachment and land ownership on Lagos Island and its adjoining metros as well the extension of that controversy into Lagos State generally.

In defining who owns the state and who owns the land, there can be no dispute that it belongs to one ethnic group alone and that group is Yoruba. There are contentions that the state belongs to all Nigerians on the ground that it once served as a Federal Capital Territory. There is sufficient history and written records going as far back as 1800s in which the owners of the land stood up to the British invaders and asserted their rights, even in the face of monumental political obstacles stacked against them.

One development, that should not escape us is the reaction of the ‘Idejo’ the original land owners of Lagos to the cession of Lagos to the British by Oba Dosumu. According to Takiu Folami a local historian of Lagos, there was violent reaction to the treaty of the Idejo. This opposition was based on the Idejo’s contention that Dosumu was not a land owner and as such could not give over their land to the British as he could only exercise such right over the Lnd given to him by the Idejo. The British had to concede by issuing a notice to the effect that the Idejo would not be deprived of the ownership of their land. It was only after this notice that the Idejo reluctantly agreed to the treaty.

Lagos State is made up of several parts - Ikeja, Badagry, Isolo, Agege, Ikorodu, Epe, Eko. . . and so on. The primary area of land contention is Eko itself and so we should focus on that.

Regardless of who you speak to, Yoruba, Bini, Hausa, Ibo, there is no disagreement that Aworis were the indigeneous owners of Eko. Over the centuries people of other ethnicities and nationalities have joined them on the land and become co-habiters and developers of the area. People such as Ijebu, Egba, Egun, Oyo, Bini, Ijesa, Igbomina, Tapa, Ilaje, Lebanese, Europeans, Saro, Aguda, Hausa, Ibo. . . and so on. These settlers are not necessarily named in order of their arrival but Ibo is the latest addition to the newcomers. Over centuries of settlement in Eko, never before has any group of settlers or migrants of people laid claim of ownership to the land nor contest the Awori's rights to the land. In the quoted case above, Dosumu did not contest the land ownership but he was challenged in making unitary decision to ceede it away to foreigners and in the outcomne, everybody, including the foreigners, were awakened to the reality on the ground. With the latest migrant of Ibo traders however, there is an incresing noise and clamor to convert rights of ownership. Land deeds or certificate of occupancy on a land is a license to build and use, not a conversion or endowment of native rights. Property ownership does not equate to proprietary rights. To acquire proprietary rights require a different set of dialogue and negotiation above and beyond the ordinary and simple transaction involved in property ownership. If I buy a bottle of cocacola I can do whatever I want with it but my purchase did not include the formula to the mixture. To buy the formula (proprietary rights) I would have to go into negotiation with owners of cocacola; they might sell and they might not sell but their refusal to sell should not give me liberty to denigrate their product and brand and what they stand for in the market.

So what do the Ibos want, do you want property ownership or are you looking for land ownership? Anyone in the global human society can buy land and put their property on the land in Eko. . . .however, the ownership of the land is very restricted. Even the Oba of Lagos does not own land, except what is given to him by the Awori owners. The Governor does not own land except what is given to him by the Awori owners. Some of you are taking the Nigerian constitution and its interpretation too far in comparing its implementation and rule of law with that of USA and countries in Europe. How much of the security and unity promised by the constitution has so far protected you from the abuses and hatred in the North? Yes, the governor is empowered by the constitution to allocate land but I take it that you are interpreting the constitution and that proxy power wrongly.

In the USA, the same country where you rest your hope for justice and equity, the government is a proxy. . . . an administrator installed by the aristocratic land owners through the powers of democracy and capitalism to administer society, land included!

In Eko, the owners of the land are the Idejo Chiefs of Lagos. The Governor does not own land, the Oba does not own land, both the governor and the oba are administrators of land and serve the interest of the land owners (The aristocratic Idejo Chiefs).

So who are the Idejo Chiefs?

busy at moment, more to come. . .
Re: The Controversy Over Lagos. . . .na Who Own The Land ? by Onlytruth(m): 6:37pm On May 07, 2012
ENEONWO: I have since come to the conclusion that NL is made up of 92%, ignoramuses cum ethnic bigots & 8% sound, independent thinkers. I should expect ONLYTRUTH to learn to ignore those incorrigible demented internet war-mongers who are dragging the society centuries behind development. People from all parts of Nigeria own lands in choice parts of the world. International laws guarantee such property rights, such that even when deported, property owners loose residency rights but remain entitled to their properties. Why do people think the case will be different with Nigeria? The International Court of Justice will settle that, if it rears up[b][/b]

Thank you for an enlightened response!
My brother sometimes I have to address and educate these ignoramuses about the ultimate truth.
I just laugh when I see people warming up to claim other people's property post disintegration.
Like I said before, in a united Nigeria where the "owners of Nigeria" are playing one side against the other, "abandoned property" is possible. It is a completely different scenario in a disintegrated Nigeria, especially in light of the fact that those properties where acquired through shared nationality as Nigerians.
Bottomline is that Lagos will become like New York (in terms of demographic mix) very soon, with nobody even able to claim any ethnic ownership. FACT. cool

1 Like

Re: The Controversy Over Lagos. . . .na Who Own The Land ? by dayokanu(m): 6:49pm On May 07, 2012
Onlytruth:

Thank you for an enlightened response!
My brother sometimes I have to address and educate these ignoramuses about the ultimate truth.
I just laugh when I see people warming up to claim other people's property post disintegration.
Like I said before, in a united Nigeria where the "owners of Nigeria" are playing one side against the other, "abandoned property" is possible. It is a completely different scenario in a disintegrated Nigeria, especially in light of the fact that those properties where acquired through shared nationality as Nigerians.
Bottomline is that Lagos will become like New York (in terms of demographic mix) very soon, with nobody even able to claim any ethnic ownership. FACT. cool

Did Bosnians and Croats retain their properties in Serbia after the breakup?
Re: The Controversy Over Lagos. . . .na Who Own The Land ? by Onlytruth(m): 6:55pm On May 07, 2012
dayokanu:

Did Bosnians and Croats retain their properties in Serbia after the breakup?

Did you find out otherwise?
Mind you that there are more than one way of owning the properties.
That is why nations go to war, negotiate peace and sign terms of ceasefire/peace. What do you think they are negotiating? When nations disintegrate, properties/citizenship rights are exchanged through negotiations (even after a war). You cannot tell me that there are no Serbian Croat today, or a Croatian Serb, can you? undecided
Re: The Controversy Over Lagos. . . .na Who Own The Land ? by Nobody: 7:01pm On May 07, 2012
niggadee: nah they are originally igbo people grin Lol

lagcity: Well, he who pays for the land owns the land. Until kasala burst and everyone scampers to his ancestral region.

LOL

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Dino Melaye’s Anti-corruption Conference Sealed-off / LAWMA Clears Waste Backlog, Warns Against Indiscriminate Dumping / Super Tuesday

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 84
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.