Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,551 members, 7,816,339 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 09:47 AM

Robert Ludlum Or John Grisham? - Literature (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Robert Ludlum Or John Grisham? (8458 Views)

The Worst Ending A John Grisham Book Ever Had! / John Grisham Or Sydney Sheldon / John Grisham Fan Club (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Robert Ludlum Or John Grisham? by ojd(m): 2:10am On Apr 03, 2006
Guys, Grisham is my favourite I've got all his books, he is good at weaving stories around amatuers, lawyers with stroke of luck, theres no way you can predict how the story goes. THE CHAMBERS is a good one, most readers including myself had thought Sam Cayhall {an unrepentant racist and former Klansman} will escape the gas chambers with all the last minute legal battles btu what happens, another is the last juror you cannot just know where the story takes you.

After reading four of Ludlum's books, he is very predictable with his characters. Though he is a good writer, I think Grisham ranks above him.

GL:

how about Mario Puzo?

Puzo, is also a good writer if you love the MAFIA world, he is your besy bet
Re: Robert Ludlum Or John Grisham? by rukalade(f): 5:56pm On Apr 03, 2006
[color=#550000][/color][b][/b]i believe john grisham is the best coz i av read tons of his book and i but them anywhere do we wanna talk about the rainmaker or the painted house abi na surviving christmas we go yarn about.so john grisham beats robert ludlum hands down
Re: Robert Ludlum Or John Grisham? by kinglarry(m): 7:57pm On Apr 03, 2006
rukalade:

[color=#550000][/color][b][/b]i believe john grisham is the best because i av read tons of his book and i but them anywhere do we want to talk about the rainmaker or the painted house abi na surviving christmas we go yarn about.so john grisham beats robert ludlum hands down

You dont tell the house if you have read Robert Ludlum's books, if not you are not in best position to judge
Re: Robert Ludlum Or John Grisham? by avarose(f): 8:21pm On Apr 04, 2006
I have read only the bourne series and cry of the halidon written by ludlum but i have read a lot of book written by ghrisham.They are both very interesting writers and i respect their work but i think ludlum is better.
Re: Robert Ludlum Or John Grisham? by gem87(f): 4:45pm On Apr 08, 2006
ludlum will do, neva read his book but my boyfriend is crazy about him
Re: Robert Ludlum Or John Grisham? by Zahymaka(m): 6:54pm On Apr 08, 2006
If I were your boyfriend and happened to be crazy about Grisham I suppose you'd choose him.
Re: Robert Ludlum Or John Grisham? by gem87(f): 5:50pm On Apr 09, 2006
lol u betcha!
Re: Robert Ludlum Or John Grisham? by Zahymaka(m): 5:52pm On Apr 09, 2006
Then you're voicing your boyfriend's opinion -- not yours!
Re: Robert Ludlum Or John Grisham? by gem87(f): 6:24pm On Apr 09, 2006
hey, i said i've never read his book, so i cn't really say aight
i do romance, classics and some other nice books
Re: Robert Ludlum Or John Grisham? by eslynera(f): 8:23pm On Apr 09, 2006
John Grisham is the bang!!!!!!! smiley cheesy
I won't let his books pass me by just like that, owww. shocked
Re: Robert Ludlum Or John Grisham? by mukina2: 9:02pm On Apr 09, 2006
with john grisham you feel the suspence,the court room drama, he makes you really enter the story, i think in all legal stories he's the best, he has holding ur breath waiting for the final twist, he has you sitting up all night long till u finish the story, he's something else
Re: Robert Ludlum Or John Grisham? by eslynera(f): 9:06pm On Apr 09, 2006
*continuing the statement.* than a normal author, u wont say "John Grisham is boaring."
No, he's just toooo great. wink smiley
Re: Robert Ludlum Or John Grisham? by Zahymaka(m): 9:18pm On Apr 09, 2006
Depends on your preferences. Ludlum has no idea about emotions -- yet he tries to get the "super-man" and his gril in a love scene to compensate for it -- I think he does a shody job there.

Grisham does not use love scenes. I like him for being straight-laced. At the same time he know how to make you feel one person is in love with the other. For example, Rudd Baylor in Rainmaker.
Re: Robert Ludlum Or John Grisham? by HUSH2(m): 6:12am On Apr 11, 2006
Dont knock ludlum till u've tried him. I read more of grisham though, i think ppl run away from from ludlum cos his books always look imposing. I love him too but i need to read more of his books, think I've read abt four
Re: Robert Ludlum Or John Grisham? by Zahymaka(m): 11:58am On Apr 11, 2006
I hope you're not referring to me. I've read more than 12 books by Ludlum -- far more than the about 7 Grisham books I've read but I still prefer Grisham. Ludlum is not as imposing as Tom Clancy -- yet I also rank Clancy higher.
Re: Robert Ludlum Or John Grisham? by slybase(m): 2:20am On Apr 19, 2006
Zahymaka:

I hope you're not referring to me. I've read more than 12 books by Ludlum -- far more than the about 7 Grisham books I've read but I still prefer Grisham. Ludlum is not as imposing as Tom Clancy -- yet I also rank Clancy higher.
me thinks you are a Clancy fan, but dont you think the guy(or man), over emphasises his intellignce. i mean, he attempts to show the whole world that he is intelligent and there makes one lose the flow of the work. Never found an author like Grisham, young, dynamic(at least to an extent) and the epitomy of novelist.
Re: Robert Ludlum Or John Grisham? by Zahymaka(m): 3:17am On Apr 19, 2006
He's writing for techies -- at least that's what I think. When you're trying to show off, it becomes harder as you write successive books -- but Clancy never breaks the flow.

I didn't say I don't like Grisham -- I prefer him to Ludlum -- but I'm somewhat of a nerd so I happen to love Clancy. It's just my preference -- I'm not forcing people to like him too.
Re: Robert Ludlum Or John Grisham? by slybase(m): 3:56am On Apr 19, 2006
the truth is i spent 1500naira to buy a clancy novel and i did not get past the 20th page (i mean, no value for my money). guess i am not too much intrested in espionage, war, science fiction, and the like, i prefer things that are more human
Re: Robert Ludlum Or John Grisham? by Zahymaka(m): 2:03pm On Apr 19, 2006
Funny grin grin grin grin grin . Like I said, it's a matter of preference. Clancy's one of the few authors whose books I can't put down.
Re: Robert Ludlum Or John Grisham? by Baatunde(m): 11:41am On Apr 21, 2006
Walahi Zahymaka has summarised it all, everything about LUDLUM's books is always a variant of conspiracies about people who want to take over the world for some purposes. There is no doubt he was a great writer ( learnt he is dead is it true?), but his sytle is so predictable that i recently had to drop one of the books i was reading recently midway. As for Grisham, NNA when u hear "ise opolo" brain work , i doff my hat to that guy, his plots are so intricate and diverse and even though its almost always about a lawsuit or similar thing, he nevertheless manages to introduce an element of uniqueness that makes the book ' unputdownable' to borrow the language of a book reviewer.
Re: Robert Ludlum Or John Grisham? by kinglarry(m): 9:42pm On Apr 21, 2006
Baatunde:

Walahi Zahymaka has summarised it all, everything about LUDLUM's books is always a variant of conspiracies about people who want to take over the world for some purposes. There is no doubt he was a great writer ( learnt he is dead is it true?), but his sytle is so predictable that i recently had to drop one of the books i was reading recently midway. As for Grisham, NNA when u hear "ise opolo" brain work , i doff my hat to that guy, his plots are so intricate and diverse and even though its almost always about a lawsuit or similar thing, he nevertheless manages to introduce an element of uniqueness that makes the book ' unputdownable' to borrow the language of a book reviewer.

He died in March 2001, reportedly leaving behind several unpublished manuscripts and rough outlines, which continue to be dusted off and published with the help of ghostwriters. This is a testament to his continued popularity.
Re: Robert Ludlum Or John Grisham? by Zahymaka(m): 4:00am On Apr 24, 2006
kinglarry:

He died in March 2001, reportedly leaving behind several unpublished manuscripts and rough outlines, which continue to be dusted off and published with the help of ghostwriters. This is a testament to his continued popularity.

Did it occur to you that Tom Clancy has a larger following -- with games being made and authors trying to write like Tom Clancy and requesting permission to brand their books as Clancy-like?
Re: Robert Ludlum Or John Grisham? by Vieira(m): 10:58am On Apr 24, 2006
For me hands down it is Ludlum!

and I mean the original Ludlum not the fake Ludlum who is now writing his books (his son I think).

Grisham has had some good books like "The Firm" and "A Time to Kill" but overall I find his books very boring.

Ludlum on the other hand is great at suspense, excitement and tension.

Matarese Circle was a masterclass in suspense.

Bourne Identity is a classic!

Ludlum has never let me down in any of his books.

He is sorely missed.
Re: Robert Ludlum Or John Grisham? by Zahymaka(m): 1:53pm On Apr 24, 2006
When you've read as many Ludlum books as I have, you'll discover that Ludlum is highly predictable. I rank Leon Uris and Tom Clancy higher than him.

I guess yu're not into law -- or Grisham would fascinate you. Well, it's a matter of opinion -- I once thought Ludlum was the best writer in the world at one time.
Re: Robert Ludlum Or John Grisham? by Vieira(m): 2:07pm On Apr 24, 2006
As you said it is a matter of opinion.

The last Grisham I read was the King of Torts and after reading it I honestly said to myself this is the last grisham I will ever read, it was that bad for me.

I have read all Ludlum (original) and while he does tend to go a lot for major conspiracy theories I personally do not find them predictable.

Clancy is good as well and I loved his Hunt for Red October, he is more adept with technical aspects of thrillers and hence his books are well founded in the 21st century.

Clancy is more Government oriented in terms of his conspiracies, I love his Ryan character a lot.
Re: Robert Ludlum Or John Grisham? by Zahymaka(m): 4:47pm On Apr 24, 2006
Good! I'm glad we see eye-to-eye on that one. It's just a matter of preference. I hated anything to do with the law until I read Grisham.
Re: Robert Ludlum Or John Grisham? by slybase(m): 9:13pm On Apr 24, 2006
ALthough i would consider myself a die-hard Grisham fan. I really think his "King of Torts" wasn't that good, even with all the publicity he gave it.
Agreed; Ludlum is wonderful but Clancy, can you stop typing that name pls
Re: Robert Ludlum Or John Grisham? by losky(m): 11:52am On May 04, 2006
id also pick grisham,but like zahymaka said,its actually a matter of opinion
i also think king of torts wasnt so good.
i just finished the broker. i read it for more than a week,which is so unusual and says how terrible i think it was.
Re: Robert Ludlum Or John Grisham? by eslynera(f): 11:40pm On May 06, 2006
they're all good, but grisham'll be ma first choice/vote, he really rocks!!!! anybody'll like him kiss smiley
Re: Robert Ludlum Or John Grisham? by uzygirl(f): 7:08pm On May 25, 2006
Its not fair to compare these two at all oh. Both are tooooo cool

Both are masters in their own game, but with Ludlum "the winner always takes it all".
Grisham not predictable at all, and the last pages always take you to the peak.
The first Ludlum I read was 'raod to gandolfo'. It was a disaster and kept me off Ludlum for more than 5 years. But i'm 'born again",(with Ludlum oh) and not regreting it.

I've read all Grisham except for the last two. By the way, Who has read "The painted house"? I read it and thought "wow, age must be catching up with this man" Twas like a simple a narrative essay.

But if I had to choose one, I'll pick a Grisham first then a Ludlum.
Re: Robert Ludlum Or John Grisham? by molluma(f): 4:46pm On May 26, 2006
give me john grisham anytime.have read all his books asides king of torts.
Re: Robert Ludlum Or John Grisham? by Baatunde(m): 9:23pm On Jun 11, 2006
As has been said by various contributors, it really depends on what stuffs u like to read, i ve got people who are die-hard fans of Agatha Christie's Poirot and Marple, but back to the main theme,  Ludlum or Grisham,  the shortcomings of the King of Torts notwithstanding,  i still rate Grisham higher than Ludlum, meanwhile just to ask if my memory still serves me well, i once read a book several years ago, WINDCHIME LEGACY, by one LUdlum whethere its Richard or Robert i can't really recollect now, anybody ever heard of the book?

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

The University Prestos Season 2 Episode 1 / My Mother In-law By Igwe / Diary Of the 3 Crazy Friends( A short story).

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 48
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.