Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,771 members, 7,820,701 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 07:47 PM

How Can Someone Living Abroad Obtain The New E-passport? - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / How Can Someone Living Abroad Obtain The New E-passport? (8395 Views)

15 Things Nigerians Miss While Living Abroad / President Jonathan Launches New E-passport / The Truth About Living Abroad (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

How Can Someone Living Abroad Obtain The New E-passport? by Evept(f): 2:43pm On Nov 13, 2007
PLEASE NAIRALANDER'S I NEED YOUR HELP ON HOW SOMEONE LIVING ABROAD CAN OBTAIN THIS NEW E-PASSPORT,I KNOW APPLICATION CAN BE MADE ONLINE ,WHAT ABOUT PAYMENT ,INTERVIEWS,REQUIREMENT'S AND ACTUALLY GETTING THE PASSPORT YOUR ADVICE WILL BE APPRECIATED.

THANKS,
EVEPT
Re: How Can Someone Living Abroad Obtain The New E-passport? by uspry1(f): 3:47pm On Nov 13, 2007
After you completed filling out the E-passport application online, it will automatically prompt you to the next Passport interview appointment schedule page that displays the specified date and time you MUST APPEAR at the SPECIFIED LOCATION of Embassy/Consulate office. It will tell you to bring required documents as follow below:

[list]
[li]printed bar-coded Passport application[/li]
[li]printed confirmed travel itinerary[/li]
[li]two identical Passport photo[/li]
[li]Sponsorship Authorization Letter[/li]
[li]Proof of Identification[/li]
[li]Proof of Citizenship[/li]
[li]Passport application fee[/li]
[/list]

If you have children you plan to travel with you, you must apply special E-passport application for each children, separated application fees and bring all of your children's proof of citizenship and your children's identical passport photos individually.

If you are married to bring your spouse travelling with you, you must apply special application for married couples and bring your proof of marriage certificate.

After you confirmed the online Passport interview appointment, you will be asked for printing it out and bring it with you at the your interview appointment due. It will tell you to prepare to pay the exact amount of Passport application fee at the specified Embassy-approved banks or other payment agency prior to your interview appointment due.

By the time your Passport interview is due, YOU ARE REQUIRED TO BE APPEAR face to face interview along with printed bar-coded E-passport application, credible supporting documents, and required proof of identification. If Embassy grants your E-passport, you will be told where to get E-passport and how long to get it. If Embassy declines your E-passport, they will tell you the reason why they reject your E-passport and your fee will not be REFUNDABLE!!!

It helps all Embassy/Consulate to eliminate the FRAUD PASSPORT and to reduce the paperwork FASTER if you follow their instruction how to obtain E-passport properly.

If you are in the US, the E-passport procedure is QUITE DIFFERENT than above mentioned. Check with your real US government-sponsored immigrant site or US official licensed passport expediter site where to obtain E-passport application.
Re: How Can Someone Living Abroad Obtain The New E-passport? by jacq(f): 5:19pm On Nov 13, 2007
Got mine in kano state ,took 2 whole days !
My God i was there from 9 am to 6pm just waiting for the pass to be processed.
Re: How Can Someone Living Abroad Obtain The New E-passport? by Evept(f): 6:32pm On Nov 13, 2007
@ uspry1 ,
thanks alot for the information it has helped me alot ,at least i know how to start but do you know how long it take's average before the passport can be issued?
and also i contacted the embassy in spain where i live on this issue but they told me that they can only give me recommendation letter to go to another embassy for this,which means travelling to another country which i am trying to avoid.

anyway,thanks again
Evept
Re: How Can Someone Living Abroad Obtain The New E-passport? by Evept(f): 6:37pm On Nov 13, 2007
@jacq (f),
your's is better that you've got it ,when did u get urs and have they now started issuing regularly in nigeria?
Re: How Can Someone Living Abroad Obtain The New E-passport? by uspry1(f): 8:49pm On Nov 13, 2007
I do not know how long will the passport be processed once the Embassy grants your application. As @jacq has said it took 2 days. Some other took two weeks by mail. Some used 3-days fastest express (it costs extra cost, check with your Embassy site on that rate).

I recommend you the best to obtain E-passport application at least 2-3 months in advance before your reserved travel itnerary due. It will give you more time to double-check packing your things while waiting for your finalized passport to be picked up.

Once you pick up your passport, then you are ready to go to the airport FINALLY AT LAST!!!!!
Re: How Can Someone Living Abroad Obtain The New E-passport? by uspry1(f): 9:01pm On Nov 13, 2007
Here is the link of the contact information of the Embassy of Nigeria in Madrid, Spain as follow below:

http://www.nigerianembassy.org/mission/spain.shtml

In Spain, the embassy does not have its own website as well as email address, SORRY!!!!
Re: How Can Someone Living Abroad Obtain The New E-passport? by jacq(f): 2:29pm On Nov 14, 2007
@ evept when i was in nigeria 3wks ago i did mine
immidately i landen naija went to gather all the things they required,birth certificate,local govt.of origin,and guators (sp)
then first i tried lagos no way it was like market too much pple,then drove from lagos to kano went to their immgration office and paid almost 25k naira for the pass.
meanwhile there were pple who have been waiting for allmost 1 month to process their pass with no luck.
Re: How Can Someone Living Abroad Obtain The New E-passport? by jacq(f): 2:30pm On Nov 14, 2007
I must say the new E -pass is something good bicos its much better than the old one
and i went thru germany with it no pro.
Re: How Can Someone Living Abroad Obtain The New E-passport? by Tats(m): 6:02pm On Nov 14, 2007
New passports are not currently available in the embassy in London.
Some Nigerians with foreign passports are getting Nigerian visa on it to go home for christmas.
Re: How Can Someone Living Abroad Obtain The New E-passport? by MoOdYLaDy(f): 5:56am On Nov 15, 2007
New passport are not currently available in New york (house of Nigeria), and don't bother going to ATL or DC because everything goes through Ny
Re: How Can Someone Living Abroad Obtain The New E-passport? by Nobody: 6:00am On Nov 15, 2007
@poster wink wink Let me warn you i have an immigration high ranked officer who is my close friend,that if any one need a passport in 1day u will get it but now the law as changed u have to appear to scan or else u are just on the lane of getting a fake passport ,ur thumbprint will be needed and even ur real signature so be warned, wink or why not contact the Nigerian Embassy in Ur country for more Info
Re: How Can Someone Living Abroad Obtain The New E-passport? by uspry1(f): 2:05pm On Nov 15, 2007
@tats and MoOdYLaDy

Please source where did you get the information about new passport are not currently available in London and New York?

This is NOT TRUE until you show me a proof that I am wrong!!!

Tell me how 2009 Diversity Visa Lottery still RUNS from October 3, 2007 thru December 3, 2007. I do not see anything to STOP PROCESSING for NEW PASSPORT and NEW VISA.
Re: How Can Someone Living Abroad Obtain The New E-passport? by Tats(m): 2:15pm On Nov 15, 2007
uspry1:

@tats and MoOdYLaDy

Please source where did you get the information about new passport are not currently available in London and New York?

This is NOT TRUE until you show me a proof that I am wrong!!!

Tell me how 2009 Diversity Visa Lottery still RUNS from October 3, 2007 through December 3, 2007. I do not see anything to STOP PROCESSING for NEW PASSPORT and NEW VISA.

I personally know 2 people travelling for christmas who have to get Nigerian visas on their British passports because there is no new passport or renewal of passports in the embassy. No long stories, see Nigerian High commission london website http://www.nigeriahc.org.uk/
Re: How Can Someone Living Abroad Obtain The New E-passport? by uspry1(f): 2:28pm On Nov 15, 2007
from Nigerian High commission london website http://www.nigeriahc.org.uk/, A WARNING ALERT MESSAGE SAYS:
Nigeria High Commission in London has currently experiencing
some technical problem in our passport production department.
As a result of this, passport reissue and new passport production
is temporarily suspended.

While we are doing our best to solve this problem, applicants are
advised not to apply for reissue and the issuance of a new passport
as applications will not be accepted during this period. We do apologise
for any inconveniencies.

Please visit this page from time to time for further development.

Thanks for your cooperation.

Head of Chancery

Re: How Can Someone Living Abroad Obtain The New E-passport? by uspry1(f): 2:34pm On Nov 15, 2007
from The Embassy of the Federal Republic of Nigeria website (http://www.nigeriaembassyusa.org/immigration.shtml), THEIR ANNOUNCEMENT SAYS:

CONSULAR AND IMMIGRATION

September 14, 2007

TO THE GENERAL PUBLIC

The Embassy of the Federal Republic of Nigeria wishes to inform the General Public that due to logistic problems, the Embassy has suspended the issuance of new passports with effect from 17th September 2007.  Meanwhile, intending passport applicants may wish to forward their request to the Nigerian Consulate in New York.  The General Public shall be informed as soon as the situation improves.  Any inconvenience caused by this situation is highly regretted.
Re: How Can Someone Living Abroad Obtain The New E-passport? by MoOdYLaDy(f): 3:27am On Nov 16, 2007
Tats:

I personally know 2 people travelling for christmas who have to get Nigerian visas on their British passports because there is no new passport or renewal of passports in the embassy. No long stories, see Nigerian High commission london website http://www.nigeriahc.org.uk/

That's why am using the Emergency Travel Certificates to travel during xmas since I can’t get a new passport
Re: How Can Someone Living Abroad Obtain The New E-passport? by mrpataki(m): 8:43am On Nov 16, 2007
I hope this issue is resolved as soon as possible oh.
Re: How Can Someone Living Abroad Obtain The New E-passport? by funkybaby(f): 9:20am On Nov 16, 2007
@ moodylady

Why are you using TC to travel down? If you are 'clean', fine. If not, then think twice. Because your thumbprint and biometrics will be taken at gatwick and heathrow. Besides that, you have to answer to the immigration people at MMA . I know two people that were caught unawares by this latest development just last week.
Re: How Can Someone Living Abroad Obtain The New E-passport? by eryck(m): 9:52am On Nov 16, 2007
@Everybody
Does this mean that the E-passport cannot be done outside Ngeria, so everybody will have to travel down to nigeria to obtain one, I guess this will cause rush and definately result to tauting, I realy fell for those illegals Abroad
Re: How Can Someone Living Abroad Obtain The New E-passport? by Tats(m): 10:57am On Nov 16, 2007
MoOdYLaDy:

That's why am using the Emergency Travel Certificates to travel during xmas since I can’t get a new passport

I have never heard good stories about the treatment of the few people that I know who used ETC to travel. Their experiences both at the departing airport and the arrival airport in Nigeria have been unpleasant. So my advice is be careful about this decision.

One corporate lady had her passport stolen in the US on a business visit and had to return to back to Nigeria with an ETC. She was virtually begining to be treated as a deported prostitute in the airport in Lagos just like some others who had just been deported from italy and she had to stand her ground before she was allowed to go home. She even had letters from the Nigerian Embassy in the U.S and U.S Police report, but stilll they wanted to treat her shabbily.
Re: How Can Someone Living Abroad Obtain The New E-passport? by MoOdYLaDy(f): 2:39pm On Nov 16, 2007
funkybaby:

@ moodylady

Why are you using TC to travel down? If you are 'clean', fine. If not, then think twice. Because your thumbprint and biometrics will be taken at gatwick and heathrow. Besides that, you have to answer to the immigration people at MMA . I know two people that were caught unawares by this latest development just last week.

Tats:

I have never heard good stories about the treatment of the few people that I know who used ETC to travel. Their experiences both at the departing airport and the arrival airport in Nigeria have been unpleasant. So my advice is be careful about this decision.

One corporate lady had her passport stolen in the US on a business visit and had to return to back to Nigeria with an ETC. She was virtually begining to be treated as a deported prostitute in the airport in Lagos just like some others who had just been deported from italy and she had to stand her ground before she was allowed to go home. She even had letters from the Nigerian Embassy in the US and US Police report, but stilll they wanted to treat her shabbily.
Lmfao off course am clean oh and also am a permanent resident of United State, so i don't think it will be that stressful for me to get out
Well I can't find my passport oh and i haven't seen the passport since 2003 summer because that was the last time I used to Naija or traveled outside the country, i still have copies of my old passport
and i couldn't get a new passport because all these whole drama with E passport issues but I do have my Green card, police report and state ID, so it would be that bad to travel. Have taught about this before traveling but i don't have another option.

I would have gotten the American passport long time ago but laziness is what messed me up maybe I won’t have been in this problem now.

Re: How Can Someone Living Abroad Obtain The New E-passport? by omoge(f): 5:11pm On Nov 16, 2007
Moody,
if you are a permanent resident (got Green Card) i guess no problem jo  grin. By God, enjoy Nigeria sister  cheesy.
Re: How Can Someone Living Abroad Obtain The New E-passport? by MoOdYLaDy(f): 5:22pm On Nov 16, 2007
yes oh i was thinking it shouldn't be that stressful, lol you have know idea how excited I am, haven't visited Naija for 4yrs since the last time I went with my family, in fact it the buka food I want to enjoy then go to the church, praise the Lord like have never done before, missed the dance cheesy cheesy.
Re: How Can Someone Living Abroad Obtain The New E-passport? by VOR(m): 9:31pm On Nov 16, 2007
Moody

How do you intend returning to the US after your time in Nigeria?
I'm not sure you can use your ETD to return and your green card
is not in itself a travel doc.

That only leaves you getting a Nigerian passport in Nigeria.
Hope you are well connected. grin grin grin
Re: How Can Someone Living Abroad Obtain The New E-passport? by MoOdYLaDy(f): 5:09am On Nov 17, 2007

Well there are two types of ETC and the lady at the embassy in New York said i would not have a problem coming back, but will try see if i can get another passport with my dad connection but if that doesn't work out then my fiancé father will have to help me then with just one phone call to Nigerian embassy in Lagos or give me a letter

EMERGENCY TRAVE CERTIFICATE
Emergency Travel Certificates are issued to Nigerians who lost their passports while
abroad on visits, and not resident Nigerians abroad, to enable them return to
Nigeria. It is for a one-way journey to Nigeria only and must be surrendered to
Immigration Authorities at the point of entry.
*Resident Nigerians in the United States, who lost their passports, and desire
Emergency Travel Certificates to enable them travel home at short notice are
required to pay a special fee of $150.00, instead of the normal fee of $50. Other
requirements include
Re: How Can Someone Living Abroad Obtain The New E-passport? by VOR(m): 12:55am On Nov 18, 2007
Moody,

The guidance you have have quoted with regard to Nigerian ETDs
would appear to show I am correct and you CANNOT use
the ETD to travel back to the states. I think the lady at the embassy
is chatting pure nonsense .It is only valid for a single trip to Nigeria.
BTW there is no such thing as a Nigerian embassy in Lagos or anywhere
in Nigeria for that matter.

Make you think about your trip well well or you go just dey stranded
for Nigeria.
Re: How Can Someone Living Abroad Obtain The New E-passport? by freelancer(m): 1:00am On Nov 18, 2007
Hi guys,

I have a question. Is the old passport still valid? I'll be travelling down to Lagos this xmas and not yet ready for the stress of getting the new E-passport. So, can i still use my old one without any hassles? Thanks.
Re: How Can Someone Living Abroad Obtain The New E-passport? by MoOdYLaDy(f): 1:07am On Nov 18, 2007

@VOR
Well that was a mistake jare, i meant the passport office in Lagos, lol i won't get stranded oh because  am getting a new passport the 1st week I get.

But the lady never told me that angry
Re: How Can Someone Living Abroad Obtain The New E-passport? by MoOdYLaDy(f): 1:09am On Nov 18, 2007
@Freelacer

Yes it still valid, as long it hasn't expired
Re: How Can Someone Living Abroad Obtain The New E-passport? by freelancer(m): 1:13am On Nov 18, 2007
Hi Moodylady,

Thanks a lot for your reply. I was actually holding my breath and hoping for that answer, 'cos i already have my ticket. Thanks.
Re: How Can Someone Living Abroad Obtain The New E-passport? by MoOdYLaDy(f): 1:16am On Nov 18, 2007
@freelancer

LOL i bet you were, anyway have in Naija and you are welcome

(1) (2) (Reply)

Live Pictures Of Lagos / Meritchoice Connived With GCA To Swindle Over 100m For American Caregivers Jobs / 8 Worst Experiences While Taking A Road Trip

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 61
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.