Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,765 members, 7,820,672 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 07:14 PM

What Lord Lugard Thought About Nigerians - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / What Lord Lugard Thought About Nigerians (6319 Views)

What Lord Lugard Said About The Amalgamation Of North And South In Nigeria. / House Where Lugard Signed Amalgamation Of Northern Southern Nigeria. -PICS / What Lord Lugard Thought About 9ja (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

What Lord Lugard Thought About Nigerians by stepo707: 10:27am On May 09, 2012
"In character and temperament, the typical African of this race-type is a happy, thriftless, excitable person. LACKING IN SELF-CONTROL, DISCIPLINE, AND FORESIGHT. Naturally courageous, and naturally courteous and polite, full of personal vanity, with little sense of veracity, fond of music and loving weapons as an oriental loves jewelry. HIS THOUGHTS ARE CONCENTRATED ON THE EVENTS AND FEELINGS OF THE MOMENT, and he suffers little from the apprehension for the future, or grief for the past. His mind is far nearer to the animal world than that of the European or Asiatic, and exhibits something of the animals’ placidity and want of desire to rise beyond the State he has reached. Through the ages THE AFRICAN APPEARS TO HAVE EVOLVED NO ORGANIZED RELIGIOUS CREED, and though some tribes appear to believe in a deity, the religious sense seldom rises above pantheistic animalism and seems more often to take the form of a vague dread of the supernatural"

“HE LACKS THE POWER OF ORGANIZATION, and is conspicuously deficient in the management and control alike of men or business. HE LOVES THE DISPLAY OF POWER, but fails to realize its responsibility... he will work hard with a less incentive than most races. He has the courage of the fighting animal, an instinct rather than a moral virtue... In brief, the virtues and defects of this race-type are those of attractive children, whose confidence when it is won is given ungrudgingly as to an older and wiser superior and without envy...Perhaps the two traits which have impressed me as those most characteristic of the African native are HIS LACK OF APPREHENSION AND HIS LACK OF ABILITY TO VISUALIZE THE FUTURE."

How true are his statements above?
Re: What Lord Lugard Thought About Nigerians by mazaje(m): 10:34am On May 09, 2012
Sadly very true
Re: What Lord Lugard Thought About Nigerians by naijaking1: 11:27am On May 09, 2012
This was one of the earliest racsist statments ever to be made against Africans, unfortunately, even today's Africans don't recognize the similarity of this position with other avowed haters of the black race, Hitler, Neo-nazi groups, etc.
He didn't just describe the Africans as a primitive culture, which was true at that time, but the stupid man went ahead to tabulate all sorts of negative qualities as if to say that they are genetic, and never subject to change and learning from the environment.
These people believe that there's no way you could ever train an African to become a doctor, and engineer, or even a scientist.
Anyway, this 1 million year old uninformed thesis has been taken by events, and bears as much significance as describing white Englishmen as barbarians by nature.
Re: What Lord Lugard Thought About Nigerians by firestar(f): 5:24pm On May 09, 2012
Source please?
Re: What Lord Lugard Thought About Nigerians by naptu2: 6:37pm On May 09, 2012
Lugard was a military dictator who replaced court judges with soldiers. He was intolerant and couldn't handle criticism.

He was also quiet racist, believing that Fulanis were a superior race to Hausas and Southern ethnic groups.

The quote above is one of his racist statements.
Re: What Lord Lugard Thought About Nigerians by naptu2: 6:39pm On May 09, 2012
There is the chronic and abiding trouble of the secret sedition and disloyalty of Lagos…they are masters of secret intrigue and they have been plotting against the government ceaselessly. I could show you that Lagos has for 20 years past opposed every governor and has fomented strife and bloodshed in the hinterland…I have spent the better part of my life in Africa; my aim has been the betterment of the Natives for whom I have been ready to give my life. But after 29 years and after nearly 12 years as Governor here, I am free to say that the people of Lagos are the lowest, the most seditious and disloyal, the most prompted by purely self-seeking money activities of any people I have ever met. (Lord Lugard to F. Lugard, 9 December 1916)
Re: What Lord Lugard Thought About Nigerians by freesoul3(f): 4:10am On May 10, 2012
naptu2: There is the chronic and abiding trouble of the secret sedition and disloyalty of Lagos…they are masters of secret intrigue and they have been plotting against the government ceaselessly. I could show you that Lagos has for 20 years past opposed every governor and has fomented strife and bloodshed in the hinterland…I have spent the better part of my life in Africa; my aim has been the betterment of the Natives for whom I have been ready to give my life. But after 29 years and after nearly 12 years as Governor here, I am free to say that the people of Lagos are the lowest, the most seditious and disloyal, the most prompted by purely self-seeking money activities of any people I have ever met. (Lord Lugard to F. Lugard, 9 December 1916)

the man hates the yaribas very thoroughly and thinks they are the lowest of all african groups
he thinks they are treacherous and greedy

Re: What Lord Lugard Thought About Nigerians by Yeske2(m): 11:49am On May 10, 2012
free_soul:

the man hates the yaribas very thoroughly and thinks they are the lowest of all african groups
he thinks they are treacherous and greedy
Hmmm!
Re: What Lord Lugard Thought About Nigerians by Nobody: 1:51pm On May 10, 2012
Lugard? A man without a SINGLE academic qualification to his name? Who according to wiki:

''loathed the educated and sophisticated Africans of the coastal regions... and opposed ''native education''.''

(Which partly explains why we had no university at independence after 63 years of incompetent, corrupt, racist British rule).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frederick_Lugard,_1st_Baron_Lugard

Here's what Lugard's WIFE said about Nigerians/Africans, and as a qualified historian and academic, she was far more educated than her semi-literate drunkard and thug of a husband.

Flora Shaw's (alias Lady Flora Lugard) book, A Tropical Dependency: An Outline of the Ancient History of the Western Sudan With an Account of the Modern Settlement of Northern Nigeria, is an extraordinary look at the history of Africa, which she gathered from countless sources, and one would imagine a great deal of it came from the British Library and from the archives of The Times of London, for whom she had for many years been the Foreign Political Correspondent. She had always been known to be an intensive researcher into her subject matter, and one wonders at the months and probably years she put into this undertaking, which became the reference work for so many future books on Africa. This book was first published 100 years ago showing with detail and descriptive power, the greatness that Africa once was. Lady Lugard argues that:

[b]"When the history of Negroland comes to be written in detail, it may be found that the kingdoms lying towards the eastern end of Sudan (classical home of Ancient Ethiopians) were the home of races who inspired, rather than of races who received, the tradition of civilization associated for us with the name of ancient Egypt. For they cover on either side of the Upper Nile between the latitudes of ten degrees and seventeen degrees, territories in which are found monuments more ancient than the oldest Egyptian monuments. If this should prove to be the case and civilized world be forced to recognize in a black people the fount of its original enlightenment, it may happen that we shall have to revise entirely our view of the black races, and regard those who now exist as the decadent representatives of an almost forgotten era, rather than as the embryonic possibility of an era yet to come."

"The fame of the ancient Ethiopians (ancient Kushites) was widespread in ancient history. Herodotus described them as the most beautiful and long-lived of the human races, and before Herodotus, Homer, in even more flattering language, described them as the most just of men, the favorites of the gods. The annals of all the great early nations of Asia Minor are full of them. The Mosaic records allude to them frequently; but while they are described as the most powerful, the most just, and the most beautiful of the human race, they are constantly spoken of as Black, and there seems to be no other conclusion to be drawn than that at that remote period of history, the leading race of the Western World was a Black race."[/b]

Lady Lugard/Flora Shaw Lugard, Asa G. Hilliard, III, A Tropical Dependency: An Outline of the Ancient History of the Western Sudan With an Account of the Modern Settlement of Northern Nigeria, Black Classic Press (1996)
Re: What Lord Lugard Thought About Nigerians by firestar(f): 4:46pm On May 10, 2012
sad
Interesting.
I would love to read more 'bout the Lugards. Any reference?
Re: What Lord Lugard Thought About Nigerians by naptu2: 5:37pm On May 10, 2012
I am too lazy to type at the moment, but if you can get "The Administration of Nigeria 1900-1960: Men, Methods and Myths" by I.F Nicholson (a colonial officer), you'll see how much of a racist and dictator Lugard was. You'll see how he and his wife created many myths about Nigerians. You'll see how a lot of the problems we face today were created by this man.

The book is published by Clarendon Press Oxford (1969).

I will also get other sources for you.
Re: What Lord Lugard Thought About Nigerians by firestar(f): 5:45pm On May 10, 2012
wink
Appreciated, thank you.

(1) (Reply)

PDP Mocks APC, Says It Can’t Register Party, Yet Wants To Rule Nigeria / Buhari's Supporters Already Rioting In The North!! / Ikengawo Vs. All Of Nairaland APC (Official Debate)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 46
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.