Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,161,452 members, 7,846,891 topics. Date: Saturday, 01 June 2024 at 06:11 AM

Govs Move Against Planned Removal Of Immunity Clause - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Govs Move Against Planned Removal Of Immunity Clause (6705 Views)

Presidency Rejects Removal Of Immunity Clause / Reps Recommends Removal Of Immunity Clause For President And Govs / Northern Govs Move to Stop Prostitution, Begging in S’Arabia (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Govs Move Against Planned Removal Of Immunity Clause by Musiwa51: 5:30pm On May 09, 2012
If you include 6 zone in the constitution of Nigeria. The army will remove all of you from power in less than 7 days.. this is what I am sure of..

There is noway, you can create south south zone, when and put itsekiri in it. Look at the governor of ondo state name mimiko.. even fashola does not know the meaning of the name.. because there are different dialet in Yoruba.. ondo state are more related with the itsekiri. And most of them understand itsekiri.

There are Akoko people in Edo and ondo state.

Kwara and kogi cant not be another zone.. take my word for it. they will overthrow this govt in 7 days, the day you put 6 zone in nigeria law....

there is noway, you will make majority minority in a region.

If you doubt me, go and try and see if in 7 days they will not overthrow this govt. we have nearly a quarter of the army, and thier order will be to overthrow this govt if they dear put 6 zone in Nigeria constitution.

And Amachie mother and father are igbos... not Yoruba.. he just use Yoruba name, but both his parent are Igbos, they are not Yoruba.. dont get 419 by the name, he is igbo from river state..

olowo of Owo

Re: Govs Move Against Planned Removal Of Immunity Clause by kaeto(m): 5:34pm On May 09, 2012
Beaf: That clause needs to be removed.
If only Nigerians would go out on the streets to demonstrate for things like this! embarassed
Rather, the average person would feel that it doesn't affect their pocket (which is an incredibly daft position to arrive at).
Thieves in pastors' clothings go about their money fetching crusades selfishly,sure it pays. Somehow,we need true nationalists' campaign to enlighten the masses on such issues as these...
Re: Govs Move Against Planned Removal Of Immunity Clause by kaeto(m): 5:36pm On May 09, 2012
egift:

^Uncooked Kpomo, why have you not hit the street to protest? Are an Eskimo? Ok, you are among those that tear-gas those that will protest. I see
This is totally uncalled for please.
Re: Govs Move Against Planned Removal Of Immunity Clause by Onyenna(m): 6:19pm On May 09, 2012
If you are serving your people well then you shouldn't be scared of immunity removal...... But what of the other politicians that were once governors?.....have they been prosecuted? Or are they still covered by immunity...after what IBB did to us,has he been prosecuted?...ibori was cleared by our judges here in nigeria even without his immunity.....if you settle well in nigeria, nobody will touch you...even efcc and co. answer to people....
I am sorry to say this but the removal of immunity won't solve anything... this is just the bitter truth.... angry
Re: Govs Move Against Planned Removal Of Immunity Clause by Nobody: 6:26pm On May 09, 2012
Onyenna: If you are serving your people well then you shouldn't be scared of immunity removal...... But what of the other politicians that were once governors?.....have they been prosecuted? Or are they still covered by immunity...after what IBB did to us,has he been prosecuted?...ibori was cleared by our judges here in nigeria even without his immunity.....if you settle well in nigeria, nobody will touch you...even efcc and co. answer to people....
I am sorry to say this but the removal of immunity won't solve anything... this is just the bitter truth.... angry

Things are changing. That was the past. This is now.
The removal of the immunity clause is essential to the betterment of the future.

All who fear or are against the removal of it are on the side of corruption, and I say this in Absolution.
No logic you provide will hide this crystal clear fact.
There is no grey area about this.
Re: Govs Move Against Planned Removal Of Immunity Clause by sunkoye: 6:29pm On May 09, 2012
immunity clause is one of nigeria's leading curse!
Re: Govs Move Against Planned Removal Of Immunity Clause by bakila: 7:01pm On May 09, 2012
Beaf: That clause needs to be removed.
If only Nigerians would go out on the streets to demonstrate for things like this! embarassed
Rather, the average person would feel that it doesn't affect their pocket (which is an incredibly daft position to arrive at).

It does not help thge common man to have the clause removed because no Attorney General will convict the Governor that appoint him. If the President wants to force the Governors to support him all he has to do is unless EFCC, ICPC, NSCDC, NDLEA, SSS, CUSTOMS ET AL to prosecute the Governor who will come to his sense and support oga.

Thereafter we will have a shady acquital that will provide autre- foise acquit, when the right guys are to prosecute and the man has no leverage of incumbency.
Re: Govs Move Against Planned Removal Of Immunity Clause by bakila: 7:19pm On May 09, 2012
2buff:

Things are changing. That was the past. This is now.
The removal of the immunity clause is essential to the betterment of the future.

All who fear or are against the removal of it are on the side of corruption, and I say this in Absolution.
No logic you provide will hide this crystal clear fact.
There is no grey area about this.

That generalisation is wrong remove the Immunity clause and all you will see are Civil Suits. Can imagine Ade Ipaya prosecuting Fashola.
Dude our Attorney Generals are not elected but appointed, also to the office of Honourable Commisioner for Justice.
Re: Govs Move Against Planned Removal Of Immunity Clause by alahamad(m): 7:20pm On May 09, 2012
If only they do the right things and let corruption out of the way, then they should have nothing to fear whatsoever.
Furthermore, without the the immense lootings by "commander in thieves" nd their "excellenthieves", they should be able to pay far above the minimum wage nd even proceed with all projects as at when due.....

I support scraping the immunity nonsense out though we all know it still doesn't stop them from being the professional blood sucking Vampires they are.....
Re: Govs Move Against Planned Removal Of Immunity Clause by manny4life(m): 7:40pm On May 09, 2012
As for me, I do not support the "TOTAL REMOVAL" of the immunity clause because what it does is it exposes government to different types of litigation. However, they can make certain exemptions such as in the case of crimes such as theft, treason, etc, thus the clause doesn't cover them.
Re: Govs Move Against Planned Removal Of Immunity Clause by Godmann(m): 7:57pm On May 09, 2012
Kabikala: I am totally with the Governors on this as the presence of the immunity clause is not the real reason the present fight against corruption in Nigeria is ineffective.
We are having the third set of two-term governors in Nigeria and in spite of all the hoopla about battling corruption, not one of them have been convicted by any Nigerian court (apart from the slap on the wrist Alamieyesegha got). Even Odili was able to secure a permanent injunction against arrest and prosecution. Other countries involved in the Halliburton, Wilbros and Siemens scandals prosecuted their indicted citizens, but not Nigeria, the country where beneficiaries of the bribe are safely esconced. Congressman Jefferson was convicted in the US for serving as a conduit to funnel bribe to Nigerians, but no Nigerian went to jail for receiving the bribe. In another instance, the EFCC deliberately frustrated the judge handling the Halliburton case in Nigeria by refusing to bring its prosecuting witness for an entire year such that the judge had no choice but to strike out the suit. Were all these as a result of the immunity clause? The answer is no.
After Gani Fawehinmi successfully secured the leave of the court to the effect that in spite of the immunity clause, governors and other public officials covered by that clause could still be investigated while in office, the work of any serious-minded anti-fraud agency became easier. But what have they done about it? Even Keyamo was not allowed to prosecute the Customs boss (Inde Dikko) on allegations of certificate forgery.
A serious-minded agency desirous of fighting corruption can investigate and prosecute all the accomplices to corruption in government including the finance commissioners, the Accountant Generals, the Auditor Generals, and even the conniving banks. It can always prosecute the governor after leaving office, but have we seen that happen here?
We all saw how Obasanjo used Ribadu to hound Governors who did not do his bidding. Imagine what he could have done during the third term battle if there was no immunity clause to protect dissenting governors.
I am convinced that the intent of Jonathan in pushing for this amendment is to whip governors who do not do his bidding regarding 2015 into line. There is ample opportunity for a serious minded government to fight the overwhelming corruption we are witnessing currently and the immunity clause is not the reason we are not seeing that fight. The House of Representatives subsidy probe report is a good place to start. Halliburton, Siemens and Wibros are others.
At this stage of our democracy, the governors are a good check on the awesome powers of the Nigerian president who controls all the levers of power - more than 50% of total national income, controls the armed forces, appoints the Chief Justice of the Federation, appoints the INEC Chairman and commissioners, appoints the head of ICPC and EFCC. We all saw how absolute power could be corrupted under Obasanjo where the national assembly has not been able to provide the required checks and balances.
I say No to immunity clause removal at this point. It is a self-serving agenda by Jonathan. I am totally with the Governors on this as the presence of the immunity clause is not actually hampering the present fight against corruption in Nigeria.

People will hardly think properly. You are very right. Do not mind the multitude fools.

Removing the immunity clause will create an imperial President that will make it difficult for any opposser to raise a voice. Imagine Fashola without Imunity supporting and funding his party ACN against a rampaging PDP? He will we send to jail with both true and fabricated corruption cases.
Re: Govs Move Against Planned Removal Of Immunity Clause by egift(m): 8:24pm On May 09, 2012
kaeto: This is totally uncalled for please.

My dear, seems you do not know beaf very well (he is the sycophantic vessel of PDP/Jonathan). So imagine someone like him asking you to go and protest. Why can't he go out and protest criminality in this regime?

Is he an immigrant? Or an Eskimo? grin
Re: Govs Move Against Planned Removal Of Immunity Clause by IYANGBALI: 8:59pm On May 09, 2012
bunch of criminals.Oleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
Re: Govs Move Against Planned Removal Of Immunity Clause by Delafruita(m): 11:09pm On May 09, 2012
Alusi Okija:

The Occupy Nigeria Protest was a protest in support of corruption.

This one is a rally for the removal of immunity, its different and benefits the nation.
seems to me like you're not in tune with happenings in this part of the world.or you are been deliberately mischievious
Re: Govs Move Against Planned Removal Of Immunity Clause by Nobody: 11:23pm On May 09, 2012
bakila:

That generalisation is wrong remove the Immunity clause and all you will see are Civil Suits. Can imagine Ade Ipaya prosecuting Fashola.
Dude our Attorney Generals are not elected but appointed, also to the office of Honourable Commisioner for Justice.

My Goodness!
Is that your logical excuse to support this enabler of corruption?
Let the chips fall where they fall. I don't know the story between those 2 as I am not in naija but If a person cannot justify their actions in court then it probably sounds like an action they shouldn't have done.

You cannot say because of that, you support a maintained state of ZERO Accountability.
Political immunity is NOT democracy: a word Nigerian politicians just use anyhow in their many many speeches without actually following its precepts.
Re: Govs Move Against Planned Removal Of Immunity Clause by Beaf: 11:32pm On May 09, 2012
bakila:

It does not help thge common man to have the clause removed because no Attorney General will convict the Governor that appoint him. If the President wants to force the Governors to support him all he has to do is unless EFCC, ICPC, NSCDC, NDLEA, SSS, CUSTOMS ET AL to prosecute the Governor who will come to his sense and support oga.

Thereafter we will have a shady acquital that will provide autre- foise acquit, when the right guys are to prosecute and the man has no leverage of incumbency.

Do you want to test what you have just said? Well the only way to do that is vote with our feet and placards for the removal of the clause.

Accountability must begin somewhere. Nigeria cannot continue to remain a jungle where politicians are gods above the law. We must empower one another to take down the edifices to protect corruption and impunity that these people have built.

Please forgive my language in the following lines.
I'm from Delta state where the governor has just used more than 7billion in a week to clear some phucking heap of sand. I want to sue that guy.
There are similar stories of wanton waste and governmental stup!dity from across the nation, because the governors are not accountable to anyone. I can assure you that the removal of the clause will lead to such an avalanche of court cases that we will need a special commission or maybe even import legal experts to help with the mess. Our governors and LG bosses do fuckall anyway, and we from the street really need a means to keep them on their toes and serving the people.

If your fear is abuse of the removal by the President, do you think an empowered people cannot remove their President?
Dude, the removal of the immunity clause is the closest thing to a peaceful revolution that Nigeria can get and God knows we need a revolution to cure the rampant madness across the land.

We must demand and get accountability. cool
Re: Govs Move Against Planned Removal Of Immunity Clause by Beaf: 11:42pm On May 09, 2012
manny4life: As for me, I do not support the "TOTAL REMOVAL" of the immunity clause because what it does is it exposes government to different types of litigation. However, they can make certain exemptions such as in the case of crimes such as theft, treason, etc, thus the clause doesn't cover them.

True, this is a reasoned position that will stop frivolous cases like governors being sued for snatching someones girlfriend etc.

Corruption and insecurity are easily the most concerning and destabilising issues as far as people in power are concerned. There have been cases of governors stealing and even setting up groups like boko haram, only for us to find that they and those linked to them cannot be tried because of the immunity clause. This happens even after they have left power, because they always somehow find a means to be relevant in their home states where the sitting governors immunity can shield them.
Re: Govs Move Against Planned Removal Of Immunity Clause by Nobody: 11:56pm On May 09, 2012
Beaf:

True, this is a reasoned position that will stop frivolous cases like governors being sued for snatching someones girlfriend etc.

Corruption and insecurity are easily the most concerning and destabilising issues as far as people in power are concerned. There have been cases of governors stealing and even setting up groups like boko haram, only for us to find that they and those linked to them cannot be tried because of the immunity clause. This happens even after they have left power, because they always somehow find a means to be relevant in their home states where the sitting governors immunity can shield them.

Exactly. I can't believe people don't understand this very elementary thing.
The institution of accountability is NECCESSARY for ANYONE to be able to perform without corruption.
Look at an ordinary sales clerk. The only thing that stops them from taking the money in the cash register from the shop they have been hired to tend to is because of a sense of ACCOUNTABILITY. At the end of the day or week, oga will take inventory of his stock and weigh things out to make sure all is well, so it wouldn't be worth it.

This sense needs to be instituted within the governors and politicians,and it begins with the removal of that clause.

Abi does the thing even make sense to you people? Haba!
I try to respect peoples views, but some things are just too stoopid to hear abeg.
Later you will be the ones to open your mouth and complain that "There is too much corruption in the system, etc etc".
Which goes back to my earlier suspicion that politicians or their pathetic PR minions now have NL accounts. undecided
Re: Govs Move Against Planned Removal Of Immunity Clause by charisel(m): 12:07am On May 10, 2012
aguiyi:

maybe you should take the lead

I feel removing d controversial immunity clause will make governance a bit transparent. The case of outgoing governors imposing candidates wil be minimised.Take a look @ delta, kwara and others
Re: Govs Move Against Planned Removal Of Immunity Clause by lastpage: 5:14am On May 10, 2012
But why cant we use the "same arguments" we used on the governors, be used for the Presidency?
Why should the immunity clause be good for removal when it comes to Governors, but bad when it comes to President, V.P and his entourage?

If it will make the Governors accountable, then it should make the President accountable!
If it will make the President vulnerable, then it would make the Governors vulnerable as well!

Public officer, na Public officer! Sauce the Geese, Sauce the Gander!

That way, the Governor will not have to be afraid of an over-bearing President (in this PdP Vs. Other Parties roforofo fight!)

Overall, l think it will be better for this country in the long run, to remove that immunity clause!

To be an "unaccountable" public officer
........is an absolute anathema to progress, in my view!

Lastpage!
Re: Govs Move Against Planned Removal Of Immunity Clause by 2mch(m): 5:47am On May 10, 2012
PDP at it again. They try to pass of simple solutions to their benefit. I support removal of immunity clause from president to government public officials. But ONLY after their terms have been completed. While in office, immunity must be maintained. PDP will like to use the removal of immunity clause to silence the opposition. Nigeria can never be a one party country again! At least if the government officials know they will be persecuted after leaving office, they will be more careful. This should also extend to all arms of the government, especially Judicial. This means we can prosecute OBJ and IBB. GEJ and his subsidy queens in the nearest future.
Re: Govs Move Against Planned Removal Of Immunity Clause by Beaf: 6:15am On May 10, 2012
2mch: PDP at it again. They try to pass of simple solutions to their benefit. I support removal of immunity clause from president to government public officials. But ONLY after their terms have been completed. While in office, immunity must be maintained. PDP will like to use the removal of immunity clause to silence the opposition. Nigeria can never be a one party country again! At least if the government officials know they will be persecuted after leaving office, they will be more careful. This should also extend to all arms of the government, especially Judicial. This means we can prosecute OBJ and IBB. GEJ and his subsidy queens in the nearest future.

PDP did not write the constitution. The army handed it down, so talking about PDP is a weak thing, formulaic and without direction.
The immunity clause for governors shows how the ex-generals planned to keep Nigeria as a cow to be perpetually milked even if the people die. We are in their pockets and they are shielded by the law to ra'pe us again and again. Ain't you tired of the mess?

The greatest wisdom we can have today is understanding the power dynamics of Nigeria. Who fits where and who pulls what strings. Every youth owes it to themselves to learn these things or remain enslaved forever.

The immunity clause needs to go for Nigeria to progress. It is standard practise the World over for the President to be immune until the end of their tenure, but there is absolutely no reason why governors should not be accountable in court while in office.
Re: Govs Move Against Planned Removal Of Immunity Clause by Rogerss(m): 7:38am On May 10, 2012
It should be removed joh! Abi them never tire to dey thief nah?
Re: Govs Move Against Planned Removal Of Immunity Clause by Bolarge1(m): 9:08am On May 10, 2012
STEALING CONTINUES?

Re: Govs Move Against Planned Removal Of Immunity Clause by Bolarge1(m): 9:14am On May 10, 2012
IN CALIFORNIA USA CITIZENS WERE ASKED TO VOTE WHETHER GAY MARRIAGE SHOULD BE ACCEPTED OR NOT, AND PEOPLE VOTED AGAINST GAY MARRIAGE AND IT WAS ACCEPTED AS A LAW.

THIS IS HOW DEMOCRACY SHOULD BE PRACTISED. NIGERIAN GOVERNMENT SHOULD SUBJECT THIS ISSUE TO PUBLIC DEBATE AND VOTING AND LET US KNOW THE MIND OF THE PEOPLE. NOT THE MIND OF CORRUPTABLE LEGISLATORS.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Wife Wins Late Husband’s Assembly Seat In Plateau / The Helicopters That Evacuated CDS Badeh’s Family From Mubi: A Lesson For All Ni / See The Biggest Bridge Constructed By Ex-president Jonathan

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 77
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.