Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,483 members, 7,830,428 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 10:00 PM

Govs Move Against Planned Removal Of Immunity Clause - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Govs Move Against Planned Removal Of Immunity Clause (6699 Views)

Presidency Rejects Removal Of Immunity Clause / Reps Recommends Removal Of Immunity Clause For President And Govs / Northern Govs Move to Stop Prostitution, Begging in S’Arabia (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Govs Move Against Planned Removal Of Immunity Clause by free2ryhme: 11:49am On May 09, 2012
Governor Rotimi Amaechi of Rivers

By Chuks Okocha

The proposed removal of the immunity clause from the constitution will be the major issue to be discussed by the governors of the 36 states at a meeting Wednesday, THISDAY has learnt.

The controversial clause, which shields the president, vice-president, governors and deputy governors from prosecution while in office, has been slated for possible amendment by the National Assembly.

But many governors have often expressed misgivings that removing the clause would expose them to endless litigations over their actions in office, as well as making them vulnerable to political persecution, especially by the Federal Government.

THISDAY gathered that the governors are not happy that the Alfa Belgore-led constitution review committee has recommended that the immunity clause be removed.

No section of the constitution can be amended without endorsement by at least 24 state houses of assembly, a provision that gives the governors significant influence over the amendment process.

The meeting, which is expected to commence at noon, will take place at the Rivers State Governor’s Lodge.

Other issues to be discussed are the precarious security situation, especially the unending threat of Boko Haram, and the need to prevail on President Goodluck Jonathan to present a supplementary budget to augment the shortages in the provision for fuel subsidy this year.

The meeting will discuss and adopt the outcome of the three separate committees that deliberated on the withdrawals from the federation account, it was further learnt.

The governors, it was gathered, would also be finalising their proposals for constitutional amendment to the revenue sharing formula, in which they are proposing that the Federal Government would be getting 35 per cent, State 42 per cent and councils 23 per cent.

The meeting, THISDAY learnt, will discuss the outcome of the three separate committees that discussed the continued withdrawals from the federation accounts, especially by the Nigerian National Petroleum Corporation (NNPC) and the Petroleum Products Price Regulatory Agency (PPPRA).

According to a governor who spoke with THISDAY, the state chief executives are calling for a stop to the continued withdrawals from the Excess Crude Account and the to limit the oil subsidy withdrawals to the approved budgetary provision of N74 billion per month and not the N150.2 billion currently being deducted from the Federation Accounts Allocation Committee (FAAC).

Over N304 billion was withdrawn from the FAAC Accounts by the NNPC and PPPRA in January and February, a process that led to the delay in the payment of the allocation for the month of March and April.

A governor from the Northwest, who confirmed the meeting, said: “We are worried because of what the Central Bank governor, Sanusi Lamido Sanusi, said that the subsidy budget is not enough and if an amicable resolution is not found… there are the imperatives of a supplementary budget to fund the oil subsidy. The country may run into the hitch of inadequate fuel supply.”

Sanusi had last month said the N888 billion budget for subsidy would not be enough for the entire financial year.

The source explained that the governors were worried because the continued deductions by the NNPC and PPPRA from the FAAC account have a negative impact on the administration of the state because of the new minimum wage, which the states are paying grudgingly.

On the need for a supplementary budget, the governor said: “The more the matter is addressed the better or there would be return of the long queues at the filling stations. There is a process in the appropriation modalities. It takes a time to approve a budgetary and more released for the importation of fuel.”

He explained that continued withdrawals by the NNPC and PPPRA would eventually amount to N1.8 trillion this year.

http://www.thisdaylive.com/articles/govs-move-against-planned-removal-of-immunity-clause/115455/
Re: Govs Move Against Planned Removal Of Immunity Clause by cyril83(m): 1:57pm On May 09, 2012
Na dem knw!
Re: Govs Move Against Planned Removal Of Immunity Clause by Beaf: 2:00pm On May 09, 2012
That clause needs to be removed.
If only Nigerians would go out on the streets to demonstrate for things like this! embarassed
Rather, the average person would feel that it doesn't affect their pocket (which is an incredibly daft position to arrive at).

2 Likes

Re: Govs Move Against Planned Removal Of Immunity Clause by chardino(m): 2:07pm On May 09, 2012
Y dem knw go move against dat
i support that the lmmunity clause should remove from the Vic. president to the coulselors.......
Re: Govs Move Against Planned Removal Of Immunity Clause by Nobody: 2:08pm On May 09, 2012
Beaf: That clause needs to be removed.
If only Nigerians would go out on the streets to demonstrate for things like this! embarassed
Rather, the average person would feel that it doesn't affect their pocket (which is an incredibly daft position to arrive at).

maybe you should take the lead
Re: Govs Move Against Planned Removal Of Immunity Clause by damola1: 2:09pm On May 09, 2012

Nigerians are not that educated yet.
Re: Govs Move Against Planned Removal Of Immunity Clause by TheShopKeeper(m): 2:13pm On May 09, 2012
The governors should not be scared by the decision to remove the immunity clause, as long they are doing the right things and governing the people rightly.

1 Like

Re: Govs Move Against Planned Removal Of Immunity Clause by REMMEI(m): 2:27pm On May 09, 2012
I HOPE IT'S REMOVED ASAP..

*IMMUNITY CURSE*

1 Like

Re: Govs Move Against Planned Removal Of Immunity Clause by angelz(f): 2:36pm On May 09, 2012
thier cupboard is filled with skeletons,
hence they r scared of the removal of the immunity clause.
one day b one day, monkey go go mkt .........
Re: Govs Move Against Planned Removal Of Immunity Clause by egift(m): 2:48pm On May 09, 2012

^Uncooked Kpomo, why have you not hit the street to protest? Are an Eskimo? Ok, you are among those that tear-gas those that will protest. I see
Re: Govs Move Against Planned Removal Of Immunity Clause by Beaf: 2:53pm On May 09, 2012
egift:

^Uncooked Kpomo, why have you not hit the street to protest? Are an Eskimo? Ok, you are among those that tear-gas those that will protest. I see

You love the immunity clause and the impunity and corruption it creates in elected officials, not so?
I see that you are too childish to comment on the thread. Attempting to reason with your negative type is a waste of time.
Re: Govs Move Against Planned Removal Of Immunity Clause by skkutty: 2:54pm On May 09, 2012
Their refusal obviously is because the have failed their people and have soiled their hands with corruption
Re: Govs Move Against Planned Removal Of Immunity Clause by lovejo(m): 3:07pm On May 09, 2012
Nigeria is not a corrupt nation, the Judiciary and law enforcement is the corruption and solution to this will lead to malnutrition/starvation of obese corruption in Nigeria.
Re: Govs Move Against Planned Removal Of Immunity Clause by egift(m): 3:15pm On May 09, 2012
Beaf:

You love the immunity clause and the impunity and corruption it creates in elected officials, not so?
I see that you are too childish to comment on the thread. Attempting to reason with your negative type is a waste of time.

Kanda, I do not like the immunity clause. One of the reason I supported Buhari is that apart of strengthening regional integration, the removal of the clause was one of his main proposal.

I will welcome any effort to remove it, but it seems you are forgetting in a hurry how you bad-mouthed us when millions of us hit the street to protest the removal of subsidy.

Soon if we go out to protest, you will not. Only to be on NL insulting everyone (does Bakare and Soyinka ring a bell in your mind - despite their efforts, you still despise and mock them as if they stole from you). Beaf you are in no position to call for protest, you my friend are a PDP Tool.
Re: Govs Move Against Planned Removal Of Immunity Clause by AlusiOkija: 3:20pm On May 09, 2012
egift:

Kanda, I do not like the immunity clause. One of the reason I supported Buhari is that apart of strengthening regional integration, the removal of the clause was one of his main proposal.

I will welcome any effort to remove it, but it seems you are forgetting in a hurry how you bad-mouthed us when millions of us hit the street to protest the removal of subsidy.

Soon if we go out to protest, you will not. Only to be on NL insulting everyone (does Bakare and Soyinka ring a bell in your mind - despite their efforts, you still despise and mock them as if they stole from you). Beaf you are in no position to call for protest, you my friend are a PDP Tool.

The Occupy Nigeria Protest was a protest in support of corruption.

This one is a rally for the removal of immunity, its different and benefits the nation.
Re: Govs Move Against Planned Removal Of Immunity Clause by Kabikala(m): 3:26pm On May 09, 2012
I am totally with the Governors on this as the presence of the immunity clause is not the real reason the present fight against corruption in Nigeria is ineffective.
We are having the second set of two-term governors in Nigeria and in spite of all the hoopla about battling corruption, not one of the ex-governors have been convicted by any Nigerian court (apart from the slap on the wrist Alamieyesegha got). Even Odili was able to secure a permanent injunction against arrest and prosecution. Other countries involved in the Halliburton, Wilbros and Siemens scandals prosecuted their indicted citizens, but not Nigeria, the country where beneficiaries of the bribe are safely esconced. Congressman Jefferson was convicted in the US for serving as a conduit to funnel bribe to Nigerians, but no Nigerian went to jail for receiving the bribe. In another instance, the EFCC deliberately frustrated the judge handling the Halliburton case in Nigeria by refusing to bring its prosecuting witness for an entire year such that the judge had no choice but to strike out the suit. Were all these as a result of the immunity clause? The answer is no.
After Gani Fawehinmi successfully secured the leave of the court to the effect that, in spite of the immunity clause, governors and other public officials covered by that clause could still be investigated while in office, the work of any serious-minded anti-fraud agency became easier. But what have they done about it? Even Keyamo was not allowed to prosecute the Customs boss (Inde Dikko) on allegations of certificate forgery.
A serious-minded agency desirous of fighting corruption can investigate and prosecute all the accomplices to corruption in government including the finance commissioners, the Accountant Generals, the Auditor Generals, and even the conniving banks. It can always prosecute the governor after leaving office, but have we seen that happen here?
We all saw how Obasanjo used Ribadu to hound Governors who did not do his bidding. Imagine what he could have done during the third term battle if there was no immunity clause to protect dissenting governors.
I am convinced that the intent of Jonathan in pushing for this amendment is to whip governors who do not do his bidding regarding 2015 into line. There is ample opportunity for a serious minded government to fight the overwhelming corruption we are witnessing currently and the immunity clause is not the reason we are not seeing that fight. The House of Representatives subsidy probe report is a good place to start. The Halliburton, Siemens and Wilbros bribery scandals are others.
At this stage of our democracy, the governors are a good check on the awesome powers of the Nigerian president who controls all the levers of power - more than 50% of total national income, controls the armed forces, appoints the Chief Justice of the Federation, appoints the INEC Chairman and commissioners, appoints the head of ICPC and EFCC. We all saw how absolute power could be corrupted under Obasanjo where the national assembly has not been able to provide the required checks and balances.
I say No to immunity clause removal at this point. It is a self-serving agenda by Jonathan. I am totally with the Governors on this as the presence of the immunity clause is not actually hampering the present fight against corruption in Nigeria.

5 Likes

Re: Govs Move Against Planned Removal Of Immunity Clause by Beaf: 3:36pm On May 09, 2012
egift:

You are talking stup!dly as usual. What is the purpose of the meandering epistle above? What does your support for Buhari have to do with your support for the immunity clause and corruption? Who cares who you support anyway? Lastly, what is the purpose of the lie that I ever spoke against Soyinka?
If you are truly in support of the removal of the immunity clause, that would have been the first thing (and only thing) for you to talk about. You are fooling only yourself and the corrupt vultures you serve.

Alusi Okija:

This one is a rally for the removal of immunity, its different and benefits the nation.

Please tell him. Agents of the status quo like egift will always come up with personal attacks to derail threads and then come up with tales of woe and long stories that only attract their kind.

Imagine him saying he doesn't want to demonstrate against the immunity clause because I spoke against the retention of the fuel subsidy. It just sounds silly.
Re: Govs Move Against Planned Removal Of Immunity Clause by Demdem(m): 3:42pm On May 09, 2012
i am also against the Immunity clause right from the presidency downwards.
I hereby move a motion that Accursed should lead the protest against this. grin grin

Re: Govs Move Against Planned Removal Of Immunity Clause by stepone(m): 3:46pm On May 09, 2012
FI-DI-FI...(PDP) this is a plot. U People just want to win the 36 state under must... plans to intimidate other political parties Governor.
Re: Govs Move Against Planned Removal Of Immunity Clause by egift(m): 3:50pm On May 09, 2012
Beaf why are you not hitting the road to protest already? Who are you waiting for to lead you? Organize a protest. Are you IMMUNE to going out and protest bad government policies?
Re: Govs Move Against Planned Removal Of Immunity Clause by ziccoit: 3:54pm On May 09, 2012
Whether the clause is removed or not, that would not stop the accursed leaders of failed state from acts of corruption with the citizens already sleeping under the heavy doses of religion bigotry and ethnic poison they have been fed by these leaders.

The summary is that; Nigeria is a failed state. Nothing is expected to work in a failed system.
Re: Govs Move Against Planned Removal Of Immunity Clause by Demdem(m): 3:56pm On May 09, 2012
egift: Beaf why are you not hitting the road to protest already? Who are you waiting for to lead you? Organize a protest. Are you IMMUNE to going out and protest bad government policies?

grin grin grin Sycophants don't / hardly protest. grin grin grin
Re: Govs Move Against Planned Removal Of Immunity Clause by amosy007: 4:04pm On May 09, 2012
those foolish set of people.. All dey can support is subsidy removal that wil put more money in dere pocket... Buh they wnt support removal immunity clause
Re: Govs Move Against Planned Removal Of Immunity Clause by Beaf: 4:06pm On May 09, 2012
amosy007: those foolish set of people.. All dey can support is subsidy removal that wil put more money in dere pocket... Buh they wnt support removal immunity clause

You see the kind of hypocrites they are?
Re: Govs Move Against Planned Removal Of Immunity Clause by egift(m): 4:08pm On May 09, 2012
Alusi Okija:

Alusi my dear, here is the issue on Fuel Subsidy removal

- Government Intended to subsidize fuel imported back into Nigeria because our refineries are not refining enough (good policy since we produce and bad because we could fix ours and take care of that one)
- Government officials and other stakeholders over the years started using it as an avenue to steal money, inflate none existing quantities, etc.
- When Jonathan saw the corruption, instead of prosecuting the corrupt individuals, he said transfer the sum stolen from government to the people. (So that government will not pay subsidy and save money while the stake holders maintain the rate of profit they steal - Win-Win abi? Any the people will come out as losers - We said NO)

But surprisingly, you and Beaf like some others here believed it is right to transfer this burden to the people. Kanda called us name. He mock and laughed - he is shamelessly calling for protest. We will join him, but let him start one.

1 Like

Re: Govs Move Against Planned Removal Of Immunity Clause by Beaf: 4:11pm On May 09, 2012
^
Stop trying to derail the thread with your stup!dity. You think we cannot see what you are slyly attempting to do? This is not about fuel subsidy removal, it is about the removal of the immunity clause. PERIOD. cool
Re: Govs Move Against Planned Removal Of Immunity Clause by Demdem(m): 4:12pm On May 09, 2012
Beaf:

You see the kind of hypocrites they are?

lead us, we are ready grin grin grin

Demdem: i am also against the Immunity clause right from the presidency downwards.
I hereby move a motion that Accursed should lead the protest against this. grin grin

Re: Govs Move Against Planned Removal Of Immunity Clause by Demdem(m): 4:13pm On May 09, 2012
amosy007: those foolish set of people.. All dey can support is subsidy removal that wil put more money in dere pocket... Buh they wnt support removal immunity clause

Beaf: ^
Stop trying to derail the thread with your stup!dity. You think we cannot see what you are slyly attempting to do? This is not about fuel subsidy removal, it is about the removal of the immunity clause. PERIOD. cool

grin grin Amosy007, u are warned grin grin
Re: Govs Move Against Planned Removal Of Immunity Clause by buchibabe: 4:17pm On May 09, 2012
Hmmmnn...d guilty are afraid. Its just because dey all know their highly corrupt with no end in sight to their insatiable appetite for power and all d airs around dem. If nt wats d big deal in removing it
Re: Govs Move Against Planned Removal Of Immunity Clause by Toppie2(f): 4:32pm On May 09, 2012
stepone: FI-DI-FI...(PDP) this is a plot. U People just want to win the 36 state under must... plans to intimidate other political parties Governor.
how pls? Are u saying they ve skeleton in their closets?
Re: Govs Move Against Planned Removal Of Immunity Clause by Nobody: 5:16pm On May 09, 2012
I don't believe some people on this thread. Especially Mr. Kabikala.
I don't see any logical reasoning behind KEEPING a law that says all those that rule the land don't have to give a damn about accountability.
Don't you see that this is the root cause of the problems in your country today?

Or have Nigerian politicians started opening NL accounts? undecided
I know something came from a nigerian politican when it makes ABSOLUTE ZERO sense and insults my brain even on its slowest day.
Re: Govs Move Against Planned Removal Of Immunity Clause by 999666: 5:19pm On May 09, 2012
Demdem:

lead us, we are ready grin grin grin

this guy don craze....can't stop laughing

(1) (2) (Reply)

Wife Wins Late Husband’s Assembly Seat In Plateau / Stop Killing Boko Haram Members - Buhari To FG (shall We Forget?) / What Are Your Perceptions About Northern Nigeria

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 58
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.