Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,092 members, 7,835,680 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 01:23 PM

Is Being Married And Having Kids A Stumbling Block To One's Dreams And Goals. - Family (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Is Being Married And Having Kids A Stumbling Block To One's Dreams And Goals. (10844 Views)

Am Not Comfortable Having Kids In Nigeria / Does Being Married Hinder Some Dreams? / Being Married To A Nigerian Is Hard Sometimes (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Is Being Married And Having Kids A Stumbling Block To One's Dreams And Goals. by achi4u(m): 12:34am On May 19, 2012
dayokanu: This is a lesson for those young girls who think they can just jump into marriage without the necesary education

You are in Nigeria where single energetic men and women with Masters cant find a decent job, What do you seriously think an OND holder would get?

If you have an advert for a driver paying 45k per month I am certain no less than 20 BsC holders would apply how much more an OND with 3 kids

Since you seem to care about your career,You made a very huge mistake getting married after OND.

What does OND computer science do sef? i doubt you even know how to operate Microsft excel and Powerpoint

The fact is that you cant get a job, All those LASU part time are just means of boosting your ego, No employer would take you after 3 kids with a part time degree. Those part time degree are for people working and seeking promotion. Wih a part time degree I doubt you can even go for NYSC which is a requirement for getting a job

Truth is bitter. and I hope if you have a daughter, you would warn her sternly against getting pregnant or married after OND.

To those women who believe a career is not necesary as long as you marry a rich man, This is an example for you. Most men would give you the bare minimum you need to survive and nothing more, We always have more importnt project that feeding the fantasies of a lazy fat asss wife
you've said it all.
but this is nigeria,
The third world.
Re: Is Being Married And Having Kids A Stumbling Block To One's Dreams And Goals. by Lexusgs430: 6:57am On May 19, 2012
First and foremost, I feel your pain and strains. Having said these, both can be managed appropriately, if your husband gives you the support you require. Speak to your husband, express your concerns and aspirations, future prospects and every other issue you feel like.
Once you have the above issues sorted, every positive aspects will begin to fall in place.
Re: Is Being Married And Having Kids A Stumbling Block To One's Dreams And Goals. by goodluckizuchi: 8:06am On May 19, 2012
Madam I we advice u to tried as much as possible to urge urself and also know that children is the gift 4r god and we mortals we can not question god bcs he know why u first have babys be4 ur dream we comes true so any plan u want to take let ur hubby be in support of it sence u have got married why I said so is bcs I don't want u to bcs of job and loss ur hubby pls and ur children let them not be a hidreans to u take good care of them please thanks
Re: Is Being Married And Having Kids A Stumbling Block To One's Dreams And Goals. by ypzilanti: 10:21am On May 19, 2012
Your kids are not to blame, but your choice to have them before completing at least a bachelors degree and having the semblenace of the beginning of a career.

Anyway, what are the most important things in this life anyway?

No one on thier death bed wishes they had spent more time in their office.
Re: Is Being Married And Having Kids A Stumbling Block To One's Dreams And Goals. by Nobody: 11:17am On May 19, 2012
Madam! We all have that one dream that we'd love to have come true, but this is reality you're experiencing now. In the first place by getting married early, you chose marriage over career(not a bad thing). If you'd waited a little to pursue your goals after marriage it would gave been easier, but seeing as you went on to have children, you'll have to make one or two sacrifices. That aside, I hope you know the duration of apprenticeship for these skills you're about to learn. Weigh your options well, since you love to work with your hands, you could try something that wouldn't involve leaving the house like catering or any of the stuffs you listed.

And seriously, even if you had a distinction, I don't think an OND is viable in today's market, save in the banking sector.

After today, perish the thought that your kids are stumbling blocks. They didn't ask to be born, and now that they're here, appreciate them. You've got what some women and men would kill for!
Re: Is Being Married And Having Kids A Stumbling Block To One's Dreams And Goals. by jossy26: 3:25pm On May 19, 2012
Just a passerby on this thread but an information for you guys against OND. its not as bad as you guys are painting it. So many guys with OND alone are doing very well in them oil companies and FMCG in Naija. Atleast I know not less than 5 companies that employs OND and are paying nothing less than a 100k. So you guys should not discourage her joor.
Re: Is Being Married And Having Kids A Stumbling Block To One's Dreams And Goals. by toptop: 8:55am On May 21, 2012
This is the danger of marrying a man who is more than 12 years older than you. This is just the begining of your challenges. You took a temporal decision for a permenent situation. That is why you are in this mess. Half education is dangerous. You will always feel unfilfilled at any provocation. Please go for the part - time degree programme, after which you can learn any skill. That way, you will have self confidence. Do this to secure the future of your children. Don't mind that old man you married. No one knows tomorrow. They may retire him very soon. By then, you can fall back on your certificate.
Re: Is Being Married And Having Kids A Stumbling Block To One's Dreams And Goals. by Nobody: 7:10am On May 22, 2012
there should be a career counseling section in all secondary schools. People make too many foolish mistakes these days then look for someone else to blame when the consequences come home to roost.
Re: Is Being Married And Having Kids A Stumbling Block To One's Dreams And Goals. by Nobody: 7:18am On May 22, 2012
I just cant wrap my head around children and marriage being referred to as stumbling blocks.To me, they are a part of your dreams and goals.Its a matter of timing,priorities,and balancing everything best as possible.
Re: Is Being Married And Having Kids A Stumbling Block To One's Dreams And Goals. by elainemia(f): 6:32pm On Jun 06, 2012
Thanks to everyone that spoke well.it is well appreciated.

dayokanu: This is a lesson for those young girls who think they can just jump into marriage without the necesary education

You are in Nigeria where single energetic men and women with Masters cant find a decent job, What do you seriously think an OND holder would get?

If you have an advert for a driver paying 45k per month I am certain no less than 20 BsC holders would apply how much more an OND with 3 kids

Since you seem to care about your career,You made a very huge mistake getting married after OND.

What does OND computer science do sef? i doubt you even know how to operate Microsft excel and Powerpoint

The fact is that you cant get a job, All those LASU part time are just means of boosting your ego, No employer would take you after 3 kids with a part time degree. Those part time degree are for people working and seeking promotion. Wih a part time degree I doubt you can even go for NYSC which is a requirement for getting a job

Truth is bitter. and I hope if you have a daughter, you would warn her sternly against getting pregnant or married after OND.

To those women who believe a career is not necesary as long as you marry a rich man, This is an example for you.
Most men would give you the bare minimum you need to survive and nothing more, We always have more importnt project that feeding the fantasies of a lazy fat asss wife

Sorry man but you do not know what you are talking about. I bet I can do things in IT that u can't do like installing, configuring and administering a Microsoft windows 2003 server to setting up a LAN to designing a website ok. I also use MS office very well.if you must know I was working in an IT company b4 I got married, I served my one year IT there and was retained for 2years b4 I resigned due to my hubby's directives.

So not all OND holders are dullards ok. Its not like I choose to acquire half education it just happened due to wrong planning on my side which I am actually trying to correct now. I know and believe I still have a chance.I believe the problem is one:I've been out of active working class for 5yrs now,two: the Cert(yes I agree),three: I have kids(maybe) and four:new things come up in IT quite often which I am not abreast with which was why I settled for the receptionist job. Five: I'm not professionally certified which actually goes hand in hand with your cert in IT jobs. These are the only reasons I can't get a job for now(yes for now).

As for LASU, part time isn't written on the cert. And we are usually given exemption letters which I believe covers for NYSC discharge letter.

1 Like

Re: Is Being Married And Having Kids A Stumbling Block To One's Dreams And Goals. by durobraham(f): 10:46am On Jun 12, 2012
@ poster have u tried looking for a job as a computer teacher in primary/secondary schools?

U can also try to go to schools around where u live(that is those that dont have computer as a school course)tell them u want to start an after school program teaching kids basic computer technology...

I believe that a school environment would probably be the best place for you because it will still give you enough time for your kids... cheers
Re: Is Being Married And Having Kids A Stumbling Block To One's Dreams And Goals. by Jellitah: 7:52pm On Feb 07, 2013
Sometimes YES! cool
FOR THE MOST PART NO!!!! cool
Re: Is Being Married And Having Kids A Stumbling Block To One's Dreams And Goals. by concernedspeak: 12:07am On Feb 28, 2013
elaine mia: Thanks to everyone that spoke well.it is well appreciated.

Sorry man but you do not know what you are talking about. I bet I can do things in IT that u can't do like installing, configuring and administering a Microsoft windows 2003 server to setting up a LAN to designing a website ok. I also use MS office very well.if you must know I was working in an IT company b4 I got married, I served my one year IT there and was retained for 2years b4 I resigned due to my hubby's directives.

So not all OND holders are dullards ok. Its not like I choose to acquire half education it just happened due to wrong planning on my side which I am actually trying to correct now. I know and believe I still have a chance.I believe the problem is one:I've been out of active working class for 5yrs now,two: the Cert(yes I agree),three: I have kids(maybe) and four:new things come up in IT quite often which I am not abreast with which was why I settled for the receptionist job. Five: I'm not professionally certified which actually goes hand in hand with your cert in IT jobs. These are the only reasons I can't get a job for now(yes for now).

As for LASU, part time isn't written on the cert. And we are usually given exemption letters which I believe covers for NYSC discharge letter.
there is nothing wrong with lasu part time.they getgood jobs in oil companies with our certificate n nysc exemption letters
Re: Is Being Married And Having Kids A Stumbling Block To One's Dreams And Goals. by MMotimo: 5:26am On Feb 28, 2013
@ Post

It depends on the goals and dreams. Yes, some career goals are harder/slower to come to fruition when you have a family. Sometimes, you have to make a choice

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

62 Years Old Woman Marries 9 Years Old School Boy / See What My Children Did To Me / Which Is More Important To You As A Man. Your Wife Or Business/work?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 36
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.