Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,747 members, 7,809,853 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 04:00 PM

9 Ways To Make A First Class In The University - Education (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / 9 Ways To Make A First Class In The University (52717 Views)

PROVE to show that Making First class In UNI Is Harder Than Distinction In POLY / 9 Ways Students Waste Money, Possible Solutions / These Courses Are Difficult To Have First-class In. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 9 Ways To Make A First Class In The University by Nobody: 9:37am On May 11, 2012
life_style: Good but Does First Class guarantee success in Life ? undecided

Maybe not,but it gives one an edge in the job market. If you're strictly into entrepreneurship, it may not be your thing.
Re: 9 Ways To Make A First Class In The University by hardbody: 9:38am On May 11, 2012
Two things: First class gives you a head up in the job market. Secondly, taking all those steps stated above will guarantee you a comfortable transition through the Uni vis-a-vis passing your exams, but your real grades are determined, often times, by sadistic old and even middle aged men who desire pleasure from making you spend extra time in the Uni. I recall that the least Grade i made in the Uni was a c+ and both lecturers (Company Law and use of english) were ladies and randy i must confess. I could now imagine what the male lecturers were doing to the female undergrads. Anyways, i still walked away with a 2.1 and Gosh, i had all my time and caught all the fun, putting it in an academic jargon, the university really passed through me and i came out happy. Today it shows.......
Re: 9 Ways To Make A First Class In The University by yuzedo: 9:41am On May 11, 2012
If you want to make guaranteed 1st Class, go to Oshodi Motor Park, take a bus going to Owo, on the way when you get to the intersection @ Abule, buy N12 groundnut from the deaf and dumb girl wearing yellow t-shirt, give the change to the beggar at Challenge.
Exactly 15mins after, tell the driver you want to piss, he will stop without asking questions. Alight from the vehicle (i forgot to add that you MUST sit in the front passenger seat) the bus will drive off without you, don't be afraid. Take seven steps back, turn left, right, and left again. Jump over the fallen paw-paw tree, and wash your hand in the stream. A Baba will appear wearing wrapper and bling-bling with nike face-cap. Give him your school ID card,the intestine of an ant, the spinal cord of a tortoise, and the teeth of a day-old dinosaur. Also give him N1,000 cash with ur left hand (Take note). . Don't ever talk to him, just walk away.
Go home, give testimony in your church, relax. I promise your results will just b coming in, parallel A's. .Worked for me, i came out with 1st class upper! Praise Jesus! wink

5 Likes

Re: 9 Ways To Make A First Class In The University by sharpman1(m): 9:43am On May 11, 2012
OP......great thread.

I absolutely agree with your points, 7 and 8 most especially.

I know someone with two degrees..........one a third class.......the other a first class. How did that happen? He did not follow the rules (though he knew them) in the first one......and the result......a third class degree.

He learnt and followed the rules in the second one.....the result? a first class degree.

One more point you did not add......although it might not be for everyone........TEACH some of your friends what you have learnt. Understanding is enhanced when you teach.

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: 9 Ways To Make A First Class In The University by Nobody: 9:45am On May 11, 2012
U forgot to add the 11th rule: Kiss your lecturers' @$$ wink
Re: 9 Ways To Make A First Class In The University by Nobody: 9:47am On May 11, 2012
i do not agree 100 per cent. and it depends on the type of school you studied or studying. i went to a uni where we were over 1000 in a class, now tell me, how can you be encouraged to go for classes in that type of condition? student to lecturer relationship was zero, cases of missing scripts was very high, exam records were not kept, even some lecturers will tell you no one would score over 50 in their exams. now tell me, in the few consitions i stated above, how can you make first class? transportation zero, feeding 0-1-0,1-0-0, 0-0-0, 0-0-1, can you read if you are hungry?
honestly, make your finings well before you post this. most nigerian students with 3rd class, when they go to better schools or good environment, they have the best results or perform better. Environment and school type is key to first class

3 Likes

Re: 9 Ways To Make A First Class In The University by Nobody: 9:48am On May 11, 2012
hardbody: Two things: First class gives you a head up in the job market. Secondly, taking all those steps stated above will guarantee you a comfortable transition through the Uni vis-a-vis passing your exams, but your real grades are determined, often times, by sadistic old and even middle aged men who desire pleasure from making you spend extra time in the Uni. I recall that the least Grade i made in the Uni was a c+ and both lecturers (Company Law and use of english) were ladies and randy i must confess. I could now imagine what the male lecturers were doing to the female undergrads. Anyways, i still walked away with a 2.1 and Gosh, i had all my time and caught all the fun, putting it in an academic jargon, the university really passed through me and i came out happy. Today it shows.......

I knew a sadist professor like that who teaches philosophy and logic.You MUST not have an ''A'' in his exams else he will drag you before exam malpractice panel to defend your grade.this man even failed his wife during her masters. shocked can you imagine ?

1 Like

Re: 9 Ways To Make A First Class In The University by yemmyma: 9:53am On May 11, 2012
sharp man: OP......great thread.

I absolutely agree with your points, 7 and 8 most especially.

I know someone with two degrees..........one a third class.......the other a first class. How did that happen? He did not follow the rules (though he knew them) in the first one......and the result......a third class degree.

He learnt and followed the rules in the second one.....the result? a first class degree.

One more point you did not add......although it might not be for everyone........TEACH some of your friends what you have learnt. Understanding is enhanced when you teach.

Exactly what happened to me although in contrast. I was top 10% in my class out of about 90 students. I abandoned the programme to study abroad. I stopped using all the tricks i was using back in Nigeria and financial challenges and found things really difficult with my grades. I could not change anything because i graduated before i knew it. But i have taking the responsibility of advising those who are still in it, if they want to make their lives easier.
Re: 9 Ways To Make A First Class In The University by Henrolla(m): 9:58am On May 11, 2012
@kadata, God bless u real gud. u've tought me a lot in a few mins. permit me remind us d place of personal effort. cos d first step to success is d desire for it
Re: 9 Ways To Make A First Class In The University by Ymodulus: 10:00am On May 11, 2012
good one poster while all this are vital steps to been a first class student you are still missing one thing which is the most important of all and that is desire or dream.
please do not underestimate this. it is power. if you happen to be a philosophy student you will understand me.

In the words of Muhhamed Ali "If my mind can conceive it and my heart can blive it then i can achieve it".

"if You dream it you can do it "- Walt disney

"everything you imagine is real"- walt disney

"imagination is everything. It is the preview of life coming attractions"- Albert enstein

"the starting point of all achievements is desire"- Napolean hill

"whateva d mind of man can conceive and believe, that it can achieve"-napolean hill.
this may sound crazy but that has worked for me with no doubt.

also i do want to emphasise on been yourself. dont copy som1 way of readin cuz he or she is first class. am talkin from experience see i know som1 dat dont copy note and most time dont ave attendance and still pass

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: 9 Ways To Make A First Class In The University by Nobody: 10:15am On May 11, 2012
obowunmi: have sex with your professor.
lol, ur Handel name self don reflect that.
Re: 9 Ways To Make A First Class In The University by Henrolla(m): 10:22am On May 11, 2012
first class may not determine success in life neither does third class. bt success is an act dat should b learnt and practiced in every field of endeavour

1 Like

Re: 9 Ways To Make A First Class In The University by solelymade: 10:24am On May 11, 2012
Good write-up. First, the God factor is the most important thing. With God i'm findin reading(reading and understanding) more easier dan b4. However, here in OAU will have students dat don't observe half as much as d above guidelines with first class. Memory pass memory. Finding wat works for you is the most important thing and not trying to compete with some guyz. For me God is at work and my actions to complement. Ori ju Ori lo
Re: 9 Ways To Make A First Class In The University by vanstanzy(m): 10:28am On May 11, 2012
@op Did u write all this? Seun pls more paper for him. Am still struggling to finish reading this post. Thanks for the info man, more grease to ur elbows.
Re: 9 Ways To Make A First Class In The University by deshclones(m): 10:34am On May 11, 2012
Kadata: #7 - Begin Studying For Tests and Exams EARLY

Between academics and your social life, time is not something you will have in ample quantity throughout your stay in University. One cardinal act you should always make time for is studying early for exams. There's nothing worse than leaving all of the studying for the night before an important test or exam. The stress causes you to panic and you won't perform as well as you normally would if you had studied early enough. Studying a little bit during the semester will not only make you better prepared but will also remove most stress you'd have if you leave your studying for the last minute.

Early exam studying allows a student to identify weak spots in their understanding and to prioritize their studying accordingly. Just imagine studying until the early morning of the day of your exam only to find you've completely ignored a section that you have little or no understanding in. Don't let that happen

Don't agree with you on this man....i tend to study better once the exam timetable is out//like 1-2wks b4 d main exam..guess its different strokes for different folks wink wink wink wink
Re: 9 Ways To Make A First Class In The University by snthesis(m): 10:42am On May 11, 2012
yuzedo: If you want to make guaranteed 1st Class, go to Oshodi Motor Park, take a bus going to Owo, on the way when you get to the intersection @ Abule, buy N12 groundnut from the deaf and dumb girl wearing yellow t-shirt, give the change to the beggar at Challenge.
Exactly 15mins after, tell the driver you want to piss, he will stop without asking questions. Alight from the vehicle (i forgot to add that you MUST sit in the front passenger seat) the bus will drive off without you, don't be afraid. Take seven steps back, turn left, right, and left again. Jump over the fallen paw-paw tree, and wash your hand in the stream. A Baba will appear wearing wrapper and bling-bling with nike face-cap. Give him your school ID card,the intestine of an ant, the spinal cord of a tortoise, and the teeth of a day-old dinosaur. Also give him N1,000 cash with ur left hand (Take note). . Don't ever talk to him, just walk away.
Go home, give testimony in your church, relax. I promise your results will just b coming in, parallel A's. .Worked for me, i came out with 1st class upper! Praise Jesus! wink
madt man! grin grin
wen i did mine , na one hot chic i see by the stream wearing nothing
dats why i came out wit 1st class emeritus

1 Like

Re: 9 Ways To Make A First Class In The University by ajirapsy(m): 10:47am On May 11, 2012
@OP; i agree with most of your points. Especially 1 & 4. Needless to say i graduated with one.
Re: 9 Ways To Make A First Class In The University by ebunchi(f): 10:48am On May 11, 2012
Wow! dis is nice. Pls complete it.
Re: 9 Ways To Make A First Class In The University by Edi4goal29(m): 10:48am On May 11, 2012
AjanleKoko: cheesy

These are all the things I refused to do back in my undergrad days. Needless to say I didn't make a first class grin
Re: 9 Ways To Make A First Class In The University by lacasa: 10:48am On May 11, 2012
All good n fine, bt †ЂΞ poster shld also acknowledge †ЂΞ fact D̶̲̥̅̊aτ̲̅ in some top uni's some arrogant Profs will neva give a first class opportunity esp if they were 1st class graduants themselves. They will intentionally plow U̶̲̥̅̊ down τ̅☺ 2:1 if dey notice Your heading 4 a 1st class gp.

Its bad bt its †ЂΞ truth in most naija uni's
Re: 9 Ways To Make A First Class In The University by NoQualms1(f): 10:50am On May 11, 2012
solidbroda: i do not agree 100 per cent. and it depends on the type of school you studied or studying. i went to a uni where we were over 1000 in a class, now tell me, how can you be encouraged to go for classes in that type of condition? student to lecturer relationship was zero, cases of missing scripts was very high, exam records were not kept, even some lecturers will tell you no one would score over 50 in their exams. now tell me, in the few consitions i stated above, how can you make first class? transportation zero, feeding 0-1-0,1-0-0, 0-0-0, 0-0-1, can you read if you are hungry?
honestly, make your finings well before you post this. most nigerian students with 3rd class, when they go to better schools or good environment, they have the best results or perform better. Environment and school type is key to first class

Does it mean that the university you attended has never produced a first class graduate before?

2 Likes

Re: 9 Ways To Make A First Class In The University by Thatdave(m): 10:57am On May 11, 2012
solidbroda: i do not agree 100 per cent. and it depends on the type of school you studied or studying. i went to a uni where we were over 1000 in a class, now tell me, how can you be encouraged to go for classes in that type of condition? student to lecturer relationship was zero, cases of missing scripts was very high, exam records were not kept, even some lecturers will tell you no one would score over 50 in their exams. now tell me, in the few consitions i stated above, how can you make first class? transportation zero, feeding 0-1-0,1-0-0, 0-0-0, 0-0-1, can you read if you are hungry?
Thankio my brother.
My HOD once told me "There's no point going for remark boy, you'll never get it" smiley
Re: 9 Ways To Make A First Class In The University by Nobody: 11:02am On May 11, 2012
No Qualms:

Does it mean that the university you attended has never produced a first class graduate before?
ask google. this d url www.google.com

1 Like

Re: 9 Ways To Make A First Class In The University by mankand(m): 11:07am On May 11, 2012
Brosssssssssssssssssssssss

All theses you laws no fit work for University of Ilorin, You better cram for exams and get the score you need or else you are finished and face Tanke
Re: 9 Ways To Make A First Class In The University by Whizkay(m): 11:07am On May 11, 2012
life_style: Good but Does First Class guarantee success in Life ? undecided
lyk 80% guarantee
Re: 9 Ways To Make A First Class In The University by youngdee168(m): 11:13am On May 11, 2012
Lovely article, i have been working with most of the points, though lately and it has really helped me, am in my final year now, its too late for me to attain first class but i can still maintain my two one, with the help of those tips and by Gods grace.
Re: 9 Ways To Make A First Class In The University by Dsage1: 11:17am On May 11, 2012
@op,gettn a first class from uni is beyond some of d steps u listed above.There are many other factors responsible for gud/bad grade in wch u fail to mentioned.

1.psychological problem of d students.
2.Readiness to learn.
3.financial problem.
4.Education background of d students.
5.facility in d school,eg gud library.
6.Lecturals.
7.method of teaching adopted by d lecturals.
8.frustrations,e.g missing of exams scripts.
9. Faculty/dept ideology or mentality,for instance in a courses like philosophy&pol science,no matter how brilliant u are, its dept dat wi deside whether to give u first class or not.
10. Innate ability of d students to learn,eg we hav slow learners,fast and retardeen.

Although some ur points are pretty gud but i didnt followed most of dem while in uni, i enjoyed myself and confortably took 2:1.

2 Likes

Re: 9 Ways To Make A First Class In The University by Dsage1: 11:20am On May 11, 2012
@op,gettn a first class from uni is beyond some of d steps u listed above.There are many other factors responsible for gud/bad grade in wch u fail to mentioned.

1.psychological problem of d students.
2.Readiness to learn.
3.financial problem.
4.Education background of d students.
5.facility in d school,eg gud library.
6.Lecturals.
7.method of teaching adopted by d lecturals.
8.frustrations,e.g missing of exams scripts.
9. Faculty/dept ideology or mentality,for instance in a courses like philosophy&pol science,no matter how brilliant u are, its dept dat wi deside whether to give u first class or not.
10. Innate ability of d students to learn,eg we hav slow learners,fast and retardeen. Passion is also another factor.

Although some ur points are pretty gud but i didnt followed most of dem while in uni, i enjoyed myself and confortably took 2:1.
Re: 9 Ways To Make A First Class In The University by kayusbrown(m): 11:29am On May 11, 2012
@OP Good points. I will also like to add that it is very important to have the Curriculum of all your courses. In the Curriculum, you will find the learning objectives, learning outcomes, course contents, scope, assessment methods, recommended textbooks e.t.c for each course you'll be taking. Past questions are very very essential cos the truth is there are hardly new questions in the real sense of it but old questions in new forms! All past questions from the inception of a course are usually available in the exam office of the department, where such course is offered. With your points and those I emphasised here, excellence is guaranteed provided other factors such as sound primary & secondary education, appropriate choice of course of study, good mental and physical health, adequate funding, favourable learning conditions & enviroment, Integrity of the testing system and examiners e.t.c among other factors that may not be directly under the control of the student are FAVOURABLE! And for those who believe in God, the guidiance of the holy spirit is KEY!
Re: 9 Ways To Make A First Class In The University by alaoeri: 11:36am On May 11, 2012
Never mention that some 1st class are arrange like 4.46 or 4.47 with the help of HOD,exam officer and level advisor change some grade to Α and catapult you to 4.5 1st class.
Re: 9 Ways To Make A First Class In The University by steventutan: 11:36am On May 11, 2012
is good bt a school lyk Esut u read n study with strong back up prayer.
Re: 9 Ways To Make A First Class In The University by Kadata(m): 11:39am On May 11, 2012
deshclones:

Don't agree with you on this man....i tend to study better once the exam timetable is out//like 1-2wks b4 d main exam..guess its different strokes for different folks wink wink wink wink

I study better too when the examination timetable is out. But that would be about the 3rd or 4th time I'd be visiting that subject matter. It may be studying for you by then, for me it's revision. Agreed- different strokes for different folks. But some strokes seem to hit the hardest

1 Like 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

WAEC 2013 May/June Examination Timetable. / Fresh Graduate Wore "Cheated In Every Exam" T-shirt (Pictured) / The Most Commonly Confused Words In The English Language, According To Microsoft

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 67
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.