Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,944 members, 7,828,313 topics. Date: Wednesday, 15 May 2024 at 08:15 AM

Does Anyone Speak Straight Egba Here? - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Does Anyone Speak Straight Egba Here? (5396 Views)

How Many Languages Can You Speak Fluently? / Learn How To Speak Hausa Here / Can An Average Opobo Indigene Speak And Understand Ijaw? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Does Anyone Speak Straight Egba Here? by mimifonwon(f): 12:15am On May 12, 2012
So i met a nigerian professor who teaches at northwestern university. i introduced myself as igbo and yoruba, and he in turn says- then that means we are kin, cuz am egba. I was like oh, so you are yoruba, and he says, no i am igbo aka egba. I was confused, because in my 24 years of life, i have only heard from my yoruba cousins and southwestern friends that egbas are yoruba. So We sat down over tea and this man of 64 years of age, started giving me history lessons, on how the southwestern Nigeria was orginally only inhabitated by igbo tribe and her clans. I kinda just noded and smiled. He began to tell me that their native tongue is more similar to onitsha igbo than yoruba. But i didnt say anything-mainly cuz all the yoruba people who say they are of egba clan speak only yoruba language. So i kept listening and he started telling me that the original yoruba were people like oyo and ijebus who are more close in relations with the northern tribes like hausa. He said that we young people have let colonialism corrupt our histories. I myself I am infactuated with history and research, but most of what he told me, he said were directly from his father and great grandfather. Ah i didnt know what to say. He went on to say that modern egbas due to yoruba conquering them through a woman now is loosing their language and culture, while buying into yoruba culture. I just smiled. But after I got home today from work I decided to research to know if this was true. I think our elders like our grandparents are the ones who can tell us the truths about our identities. It is sad but true because i think its about time that we youths start asking or great grand or grand parents who are still alive for our geneology and ethnic compositions. Anyways one of my friend's directed me to this video of people singing in egba dialect first, so do we have egba speakers here? I speak yoruba and ngwa igbo which is very different but yet similar to other igbo languages. My cousins speak ika igbo, and though i understand some of the things they say 60 percent of the time, they also have a hard time understanding me 100 %. But when I speak my ijebu-igbo yoruba dialect to any yoruba person i see, they understand me very well. So my other question is why is the igbo language so different when it comes to different clans. I remember My first time of meeting my cousin's nnewi inlaws and i greeted them the normal ngwa igbo greetings i have learned from childhood -which is called itu maazi. I did so, but they were confused and couldnt understand me. Even when I say "nda" or "olia" to people not from abia or owerri they dont understand me. So Why is Igbo so different from clan to clan? My igbo friend from southern cameroon speaks ohafia igbo, but sometimes when she speaks fast, i get lost in translation. So IGBOS WHy IS YOUR LANGUAGE SO DIFFERENT FROM clan to Clan or shall i call IGBO a nation and say from tribe to tribe? PLease help me with some answers, why do you guys have that type of variety?

Below is the egba song mxed with a little yoruba. IF someone speaks egba only fluently no yoruba mixture, can you please write simple greetings and sayings for me below?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UDxPawzD95Q

I also found this song interesting while youtubing, man I love our differences, it makes us all so unique and beautiful enjoy!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G2gxQHwxIh4
Re: Does Anyone Speak Straight Egba Here? by aljharem(m): 4:54am On May 12, 2012
OP I would be frank with you, I notice you are confused and not sure what or who you are.

The first video is NOT EGBA language but Egun (Ogu)

We Ogu have NO similarity with Igbo in terms of Language and way of life, if they did they would call themselves Igbo wouldn't they.

Egba people speak a dialect very close to Ibadan dialect

I was able to know the first video was Egun because I am Awori-Egun myself. That was badagry Ogu dialect for you in Lagos.

The second video can be liken to Egba dialect.

Now I would categorically tell you that nobody is pure Yoruba or Pure Igbo or even Pure Fulani

We all have mixed up for thousands of years therefore there are overlaps.

I am sure if I check my DNA as well (if such exist) I would probably 60 % Igbo etc but again it is the geography you find yourself you adapt to.

I hope this answers your question. Your prof was drinking palm wine or something before talking to you

1 Like

Re: Does Anyone Speak Straight Egba Here? by aljharem(m): 5:07am On May 12, 2012
BTW Egun (Ogu), egba, Ijebu etc are al yoruba dialect.

Although there are similarity in the Yoruba and Igbo language

Ok let me use my local dialect(father) for you (Awori)

Other yorubas would call water Omi

we awori (I am a typical lagosian awori) would call it miri(e)

Igbos would say mmiri

Again

I would use (Ogu) dialect for u (Mother)

Ogu would say oya meaning suffering

Other Yoruba would say Iya

so you see dialect my vary but does not change a thing. I really hope this helps.
Re: Does Anyone Speak Straight Egba Here? by OdenigboAroli(m): 5:28am On May 12, 2012
Aji,some of the thing you wrote are correct but the part where you stated that there are no more "pure" blood is debateable; I personally is a "pure" NRI-Igbo and I can trace my genealogy to the patriarch king,"Nri Enwelana".

@mimifonwon, about the varieties in Igbo dialects; Its important to remember that Igbos are egalitarian by nature,hence they lived in little settlements and doesnt have the kind of empires which you had in the north nor southwest and as a result of this the interactions amongs the various groups were limited as most people kept to their clans/groups. But you also have to understand that most Igbos will understand an Anambra,Enugu,some part of Anioma and even northern Imo when they speak while it will be a little difficult for most Igbos to understand some Abia groups,Imo,Ebonyi,Rivers and Anioma groups. The Igbo language is a very unique one. I am sure some nwafors who are more versed into this subject will throw more light when they see it.
Re: Does Anyone Speak Straight Egba Here? by aljharem(m): 5:37am On May 12, 2012
^^^^^^

LOL My brother it is not possible for you to be pure "Nri-Igbo" absolutely no way.

Remember Igbo have interacted with the Igala, Edo and Ibibios even Ijaws for thousands of years even before Nri dynasty was formed.

Also Igbos had an empire, go do your research. Don't buy the propaganda.

Go do research on Igbo Ukwu which the oldest I pressume

http://books.google.co.uk/books?id=HwV2a-lPB70C&pg=PA143&lpg=PA143&dq=carbon+dating+ife+bronze&source=bl&ots=CEmO0LGqdY&sig=ymVJha4-dtnjjFXfh5x4HpRTaqk&hl=en&ei=WkO4TrP_KY6ZhQegnvmfBA&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=3&ved=0CCgQ6AEwAg#v=onepage&q=radiodating&f=false
Re: Does Anyone Speak Straight Egba Here? by mimifonwon(f): 5:43am On May 12, 2012
Thank you all, and alj-harem am not confused at all about my identity, please do not affront me, all i did was ask a question- for he or she who askes questions never get lost. I am igbo by mother (ngwa specifically), and yoruba and fulani by father. I speak the three main naija languages( my mom and dad forced us to learn them). Anyways the professor was the one that got me thinking about the egba thing when he said egbas were igbos-I have never heard of that before, and havent ever heard egba dialect, a friend referred me to the first video, the other video was just for fun. But if anyone can Help -please write simple greetings in egba for me. and oden, thanks also, i understand ya. We all live to learn smiley
Re: Does Anyone Speak Straight Egba Here? by aljharem(m): 5:52am On May 12, 2012
mimifonwon: Thank you all, and alj-harem am not confused at all about my identity, please do not affront me, all i did was ask a question- for he or she who askes questions never get lost. I am igbo by mother (ngwa specifically), and yoruba and fulani by father. I speak the three main naija languages( my mom and dad forced us to learn them). Anyways the professor was the one that got me thinking about the egba thing when he said egbas were igbos-I have never heard of that before, and havent ever heard egba dialect, a friend referred me to the first video, the other video was just for fun. But if anyone can Help -please write simple greetings in egba for me. and oden, thanks also, i understand ya.

I am not affronting you, If I sounded rude, I apologise

Do you mind giving the name of the professor and the university you met him. My sister we have a lot of confused people.

Egba have the Owo people who we can say are similar to the Igbos. Obasanjo is an Owo-Egba.

I would give you a proper Egba dialect video now so you can compare to the first video you posted.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AN6cD4NhiRE
Re: Does Anyone Speak Straight Egba Here? by mimifonwon(f): 6:02am On May 12, 2012
Thanks alj-harem, thanks for not taking offense to my reply. And the professor teaches at Northwestern university in evanston,il. Anyways thanks for the video, and yes i concur on your thoughts about all of us being mixed up tribally. Because we come from a patriarchal community we rep our father's people, and the mother's people dont count. My granddad married from yoruba to calabar, and all his children are said to be igbo because his igbo, only recently do people add their mother's ethnicity when referring to themselves. But yeah thanks alot.
Re: Does Anyone Speak Straight Egba Here? by aljharem(m): 6:04am On May 12, 2012
Mimifonwon, the thing is that most of the dialect are dying as you would observe. Unlike the east, the west dialect are fast dying thus people make things up.

I would give you an example. Awori and Egun dialect are now rare dialects. Reason because of the colonisation of mostly Ibadan people of which we have now adopted.

When you go to the western part of the country, unless you are from the royal family, the chances of knowing your dialect in this day and age is quite slim.

Ok for example most people don't know Egun dialect is divided into 2 major groups

The Eegun which is the one found in Lagos

The Eegun-Ajase which is found in Benin

Both of which Yoruba dialect, although the benin Eegun is much more closer to the dialect you hear everyday.

Ok again let me use the Ijebu (your father's side) it is divided to groups as well of which Itsekiri (delta) is part of.

Another one is the Olukumi which is found in delta state is also close to the Ife dialect. Are you getting what I am driving at ?

Cultures have mixed down the years and now are dying to form more unifying language rather than breaking down to dialect. I am from a royal household in Lagos thus breaking down dialect and asking which is Egun, which is Egba which is Ijebu etc is a wrong thing to do because yes the older generation might still be holding on this petty things as "my dialect" but the younger generation understand better.

Identifying dialects have a profound effect in dividing thus we chose not to talk about it.
Re: Does Anyone Speak Straight Egba Here? by aljharem(m): 6:05am On May 12, 2012
mimifonwon: Thanks alj-harem, thanks for not taking offense to my reply. And the professor teaches at Northwestern university in evanston,il. Anyways thanks for the video, and yes i concur on your thoughts about all of us being mixed up tribally. Because we come from a patriarchal community we rep our father's people, and the mother's people dont count. My granddad married from yoruba to calabar, and all his children are said to be igbo because his igbo, only recently do people add their mother's ethnicity when referring to themselves. But yeah thanks alot.

No problem my sister smiley smiley smiley smiley
Re: Does Anyone Speak Straight Egba Here? by TheArbiter: 6:39am On May 12, 2012
Very Interesting. I will however add dat the dearth of real honest research and documentation of language dynamics in this part of the world adds to the confusion. Most of the existing documented research were either the product of foreign researchers (lacking local insights into the vertical and horizontal integration btw the languages) or a few Nigerian academics (who are mostly underfunded and biased in their analysis). You can't blame the conclusions of people who read such research to substantiate their opinions. Even i have had to shift ground on some precepts based on new data or evidence.
Re: Does Anyone Speak Straight Egba Here? by OdenigboAroli(m): 6:56am On May 12, 2012
alj harem: ^^^^^^

LOL My brother it is not possible for you to be pure "Nri-Igbo" absolutely no way.

Remember Igbo have interacted with the Igala, Edo and Ibibios even Ijaws for thousands of years even before Nri dynasty was formed.

Also Igbos had an empire, go do your research. Don't buy the propaganda.

Go do research on Igbo Ukwu which the oldest I pressume

http://books.google.co.uk/books?id=HwV2a-lPB70C&pg=PA143&lpg=PA143&dq=carbon+dating+ife+bronze&source=

bl&ots=CEmO0LGqdY&sig=ymVJha4-dtnjjFXfh5x4HpRTaqk&hl=en&ei=WkO4TrP_KY6ZhQegnvmfBA&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=3&ved=0CCgQ6AEwAg#v=onepage&q=radiodating&f=false

Odenigbo Aroli=Nri Priest.
Aji,I know the origin and the history of my people(Nri),hence no body can sell bu.ll s.hit to me. Igbos had kingdoms and not empires like the hausa and yorubas had and am sure you know the difference there. I know everything from the arrival of Eri to when the white man came and defiled the rituals of the MOST SACRED NRI KINGDOM ! So, dont worry about me cos I know our history very good.
Re: Does Anyone Speak Straight Egba Here? by aljharem(m): 12:42pm On May 12, 2012
Odenigbo Aroli:

Odenigbo Aroli=Nri Priest.
Aji,I know the origin and the history of my people(Nri),hence no body can sell bu.ll s.hit to me. Igbos had kingdoms and not empires like the hausa and yorubas had and am sure you know the difference there. I know everything from the arrival of Eri to when the white man came and defiled the rituals of the MOST SACRED NRI KINGDOM ! So, dont worry about me cos I know our history very good.

Ok Nri, I see your point. I guess it is different perspective.
Re: Does Anyone Speak Straight Egba Here? by aljharem(m): 1:47pm On May 12, 2012
Mimifonwon

I was thinking how you were able to know the percentages of the ethnicity you were ?

I mean, assuming most Nigerian came from the same geographical space, the genes would be similar and the only difference in ethnic groups in Nigeria are the culture and food.

If we see someone who is light skin, we are quick to call the person Igbo or Fulani. I have seen some very light skin Yoruba, Ijaw, Ibibio and co

If we see someone very dark we are quick to call the persoN Hausa, Kanuri or even Yoruba, but I have seen some pretty dark skin Igbos and fulani

So I was wondering how you were able to decipher the percentages of your ethnicity. Thanks

1 Like

Re: Does Anyone Speak Straight Egba Here? by odumchi: 2:01pm On May 12, 2012
Igbo language intelligibility is a complicated matter. Before, I used to think that there was a great amount of mutual intelligibility until I discovered that I was wholly wrong. There was an Anambran family friend who came to visit and while we were conversing she kept asking for clarification on what I was saying, and I the same. That's when I realized that our dialects weren't as mutually intelligible as they should've been.

I believe that dialect intelligibility is mainly influenced by distance. A person will only perfectly understand the dialects of his or her neighboring communities and everything after that is somewhat intelligible. As for myself, the only dialects I perfectly understand are Arochukwu and Ututu. Everything else aside from these are in the 90s (in terms of intelligibilty) and 60s (Deltan dialects).

Another thing that determines the level of intelligibility is exposure and contact between the said groups. For example, the Aro had contact with several groups in several Igboland and have left bits of their dialect with these groups. Places like Arondizuogu and Aro Ajalli are good examples. These two communities used to speak Arochukwu dialect bit have long defected to the dialects of their neighbors, thus forming dialect clusters. These clusters are just groups of dialects that share mutual intelligibility. Some of these clusters are: (each cluster is represented by a line)

Eastern
Eza, Izzi, Ikwo
Edda, Afikpo, Abam
Ohafia, Abiriba
Arochukwu, Ututu, Ihechiowa

Riverine
Ndokwa, Ukwuani,
Owere, Oratta
Aboh, Ndoni

Southern
Ngwa, Etche, Ndoki
Ikwere, Egbema
Bonny, Opobo

Northern
other Enugu-dialects
other Anambra dialects

Western
Onicha, Idenmilli, Enuani
Ika (on it's own I guess)

OP, you being an Ngwa, would find it easier to understand to understand Ikwere than someone from Anambra. While that Anambran person would find it easier to understand someone from Asaba than you. I guess it's mostly a matter of distance.
Re: Does Anyone Speak Straight Egba Here? by OdenigboAroli(m): 2:23pm On May 12, 2012
alj harem: Mimifonwon

I was thinking how you were able to know the percentages of the ethnicity you were ?

I mean, assuming most Nigerian came from the same geographical space, the genes would be similar and the only difference in ethnic groups in Nigeria are the culture and food.

If we see someone who is light skin, we are quick to call the person Igbo or Fulani. I have seen some very light skin Yoruba, Ijaw, Ibibio and co

If we see someone very dark we are quick to call the persoN Hausa, Kanuri or even Yoruba, but I have seen some pretty dark skin Igbos and fulani

So I was wondering how you were able to decipher the percentages of your ethnicity. Thanks

Aji, its not comprehensive but there are physical attributes that are exclusive to the Igbos,Hausa and the Yorubas; you will notice that lots of Igbos tend to be somewhat light skinned,slender in width and taller than their southern neigbhours while the yorubas features includes mostly dark skinned and thicker in width. The housas are popularlly known to be skinny,very dark,tall and sometimes bears the fulani features because of the intermarrying there. But you are correct too; lots of time it hard to differentiate who is who because of the similarity that exists between these groups. I met a guy at the soccer pitch the other day and I immidiatelly predicted that these guy gotta be a binin or a yoruba dude and to my credit he was actually a binin guy and he inturn asks if I were Igbo and I said hell ya. And I asked him how did he figure that out cos ppl has mistooked me for a yoruba before and he said its the features. Point is sometimes you can decipher who is who but not always so lets bear that in mind.
Re: Does Anyone Speak Straight Egba Here? by mimifonwon(f): 2:53pm On May 12, 2012

Lol my dear watson, tis elementary, lol. my mom is almost albino in complexion, but she isnt. she has hazel-greenish eyes, and most people always ask her which part of her is european, and she always laughs when telling people that she is 100% igbo, both mother and father. So color dont matter, but i think features like bone structure at times matter. To answer your question on how i found out, well sir i went through three routes to find out. I work for a research lab, but other than that i had a group that helps african americans find the african past called african ancestry, then i did my own testing at work, then i had a third private genealogy lab courtesy of a family friend -Professor henry louis gates. all the test though not identical came up with that i had more igbo than any other tribe in me, though my mom is the only one who is an immediate igbo woman. They used my dna, my dad's and my mom's sample, but the tests from african ancestry do not determine overall admixture. that is why i made inquires with other genealogical labs, plus my own experiment. Most of these are done through the extraction of nucleotides from ones dna. Every tribe have a specific genetic matrilineal dna that never changes, the father's changes a bit-but not that much.

When it comes to determining you paternal ethnicity-
" The most popular ancestry tests are Y chromosome (Y-DNA) testing and mitochondrial DNA (mtDNA) testing, which test direct-line paternal and maternal ancestry, respectively. DNA tests for other purposes attempt, for example, to determine a person's comprehensive genetic make-up and/or ethnic origins." Because each tribe have a specific genetic code, mainly carried by the mitochondrial dna never changes, unlike i.e ( paternal and maternal grandmothers).A man's patrilineal ancestry, or male-line ancestry, can be traced using the DNA on his Y chromosome (Y-DNA) through Y-STR testing. This is useful because the Y chromosome passes down almost unchanged from father to son, i.e., the non-recombining and sex-determining regions of the Y chromosome do not change. A man's test results are compared to another man's results to determine the time frame in which the two individuals shared a most recent common ancestor or MRCA. If their test results are a perfect, or nearly perfect match, they are related within genealogy's time frame.
Each person can then look at the other's father-line information, typically the names of each patrilineal ancestor and his spouse, together with the dates and places of their marriage and of both spouses' births and deaths. This information table will be referred to again within the mtDNA testing section below as the (matrilineal) "information table". The two matched persons may find a common ancestor or MRCA, as well as whatever information the other already has about their joint patrilineal ancestry prior to the MRCA—which might be a big help to one of them. Or if not, both keep trying to extend their patrilineal ancestry further back in time. Each may choose to have their test results included in their surname's "Surname DNA project". And each receives the other's contact information if the other chose to allow this. They may correspond, and may work together in the future on joint research.
Women who wish to determine their direct paternal DNA ancestry can ask their father, brother, paternal uncle, paternal grandfather, or a cousin who shares a common patrilineal ancestry (the same Y-DNA) to take a test for them. *courtsey of http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Genealogical_DNA_test. When it comes to your Maternal DNA, Which like i said, unlike any other never changes or gets watered down-i.e thats why we say nneka(mother is supreme)(lol jk).,

so for example :
A person's matrilineal or mother-line ancestry can be traced using the DNA in his or her mitochondria, the mtDNA, as follows: This mtDNA is passed down by the mother unchanged, to all children. If a perfect match is found to another person's mtDNA test results, one may find a common ancestor in the other relative's (matrilineal) "information table", similar to the patrilineal or Y-DNA testing case above. However, because mtDNA mutations are very rare, a nearly perfect match is not as helpful as it is for the above patrilineal case. In the matrilineal case, it takes a perfect match to be very helpful.[7]

Note that, in cultures lacking matrilineal surnames to pass down, neither relative above is likely to have as many generations of ancestors in their matrilineal information table as in the above patrilineal or Y-DNA case: for further information on this difficulty in traditional genealogy, due to lack of matrilineal surnames (or matrinames), see Matriname.[8]

Anyways the test for me came out this way:

Father- yoruba from ijebu-igbo= 35% igbo of subsharan africa, 55% yoruba of subsharan africa, 10% of fulani of subsharan africa.
Mother-95% igbo of subsharan africa, 5% undetermined

Then i did my own
and me= 65% igbo of subsharan africa, 25% of yoruba of subsharan africa, and 10% fulani of subsharan africa

So basically the genes that are shared between each group that never changed is what gives the percentage- that is how most african americans sold into slavery are tracing their roots back to africa. I hope i explained it well smiley grin

2 Likes

Re: Does Anyone Speak Straight Egba Here? by aljharem(m): 3:20pm On May 12, 2012
mimifonwon: [/color]

Father( my dad claimed 100 percent yoruba parentage)- yoruba from ijebu-igbo= 35% igbo of subsharan africa, 55% yoruba of subsharan africa, 10% of fulani of subsharan africa.
Mother from umuahia( mom claimed 100% igbo)-95% igbo of subsharan africa, 5% undetermined

Then i did my own
and me= 65% igbo of subsharan africa, 25% of yoruba of subsharan africa, and 10% fulani of subsharan africa

So basically the genes that are shared between each group that never changed is what gives the percentage- that is how most african americans sold into slavery are tracing the roots back to africa. I hope i explained it well smiley grin

Oh I see, does the DNA changes with food or way of life. Don't get me wrong I read the post and understand what it meant

A swahili would have a different DNA from a kwa person but I am talking in terms of differentiating this.

Ok for example, I am light skin as well and when I was a kid, I was called Igbo because of my skin and also because I could not speak the native language. (Although I have gone slightly darker now and very good in my langauge). My mother is a very light skin woman. Do you think if I do the DNA as well I would be 60 % Igbo, 30 % Yoruba 10 % Ijaw etc.

Given that we all eat the same food, in the same geography etc there really should not be a form of difference in the DNA even if you look at the family tree.

Remember over thousands of years, families mix up etc so there is no reference point to point out which is 60 % Kwa etc.

For you to be able to know the ethnic percentages that a person is made up of, I think there should be a 100 % reference point undecided

Do you see what I mean, Again don't get me wrong I am not trying to teach you your profession, I no sabi book myself grin grin grin

But I am sure you understand with I mean. smiley

I don't mind if you can educate me on this aspect, I am willing to learn for you. Thanks smiley smiley smiley
Re: Does Anyone Speak Straight Egba Here? by mimifonwon(f): 4:11pm On May 12, 2012
Oh okay alj-harem,i understand what you said, but dna never lies, its ur genetic code. I forgot to mention that the data used in comparing some the dnas are based on data collected by scientist in last 3o years in each region-mostly during medical experiments i.e did you ever get chicken pox, measles, and etc or did census registration as a child -usually done by europeans. Unknowningly most of the villagers genes and info were collected during then. But that is not the only avenue that was used in collecting dna samples from people, churches helped also ( i.e holy communion,baptism). These europeans definitely used people's ignorance to their advantage, and its become a blessing in disguise especially for african americans tracing their roots. One of the recent effects of experiments carried out on africans, especialy in nigeria, is in the north, where american and british researchers knowningly and unethically infected people with polio, using them as guinea pigs or lab rats without them knowning ,and one the main reason that Bill gates saw the injust and chose to help fight the cause. Anyways the datas collected and still being collected are what is used during genealogical tracing.

Yes environments can have an effect,like certain diseases,ailments, diet can help in changing ur dna a bit, but not much. What i noticed during the dna results is that some of my dad's dna >i.e his genes especially the one that codes for his yoruba ethnicity have been watered down-maybe because the fact he was in the army in different parts of the world and ate different foods, got sick etc, that is yet to be determined. I say this because of how i only have 25% of my father's yoruba ethnic code remaining in me according to the test results.

I know what you mean by people mistaking you for igbo because you are fair. below is a picture of my other cousins from anambra, notice the three and the color differences. In their immediate family, their mother just like mine is super fair, but their dad dark, but only one child got the fair gene, which is the first daughter. The rest are most of the time asked if they are yorubas because of their complexion. Yes a certain complexion is associated to the igbos( they all married now, so u cannot ask for their hands in marriage,lol grin). And i do make the mistake of assuming certain fair skinned nigerians are igbo, until they speak. For my siblings and I, we are yorubas, but our dad( because my mom comes from a royal family) had to also let us claim igbo in case my brothers are needed to ascend the throne one day, because my grandparents only had one son and three girls.

Re: Does Anyone Speak Straight Egba Here? by Fulaman198(m): 8:02pm On May 12, 2012

The funny thing is that most real Fulani are actually of darker complexion, I'm not too sure about Igbos, but I think most of them are of darker complexion too. In every ethnic group in Africa you will see people who are of light and who are of dark complexion.

1 Like

Re: Does Anyone Speak Straight Egba Here? by BlackPikiN(m): 3:21am On May 29, 2012

Father- yoruba from ijebu-igbo= 35% igbo of subsharan africa, 55% yoruba of subsharan africa, 10% of fulani of subsharan africa.

Then i did my own

So basically the genes that are shared between each group that never changed is what gives the percentage- that is how most african americans sold into slavery are tracing their roots back to africa. I hope i explained it well smiley grin

How is your dad 35% Igbo since you said He's 100% yoruba.
Re: Does Anyone Speak Straight Egba Here? by mimifonwon(f): 4:25pm On May 30, 2012
BlackPikiN:

How is your dad 35% Igbo since you said He's 100% yoruba.

Exactly, because of the bias in his father's family against easterners, his dad omitted the part that they married igbo women, so it showed that what we believe is not truly the reality of things, that is why i had our dna samples tested.I am now doing more research on my father's village in ijebu-igbo just to see how much of them truly belong to each tribe,it will take sometim -maybe years, but its a task i have taken up; because whether we all like it or not, we are mixed up somehow, and contrary to believe there are slight genetic differences found in each tribe.Its self explanatory if you carefully read the post. anyways DNA dont lie, people do. smiley

1 Like

Re: Does Anyone Speak Straight Egba Here? by OdenigboAroli(m): 2:10am On Jun 01, 2012
mimifonwon:

Exactly, because of the bias in his father's family against easterners, his dad omitted the part that they married igbo women, so it showed that what we believe is not truly the reality of things, that is why i had our dna samples tested.I am now doing more research on my father's village in ijebu-igbo just to see how much of them truly belong to each tribe,it will take sometim -maybe years, but its a task i have taken up; because whether we all like it or not, we are mixed up somehow, and contrary to believe there are slight genetic differences found in each tribe.Its self explanatory if you carefully read the post. anyways DNA dont lie, people do. smiley

This girl,you are very adventurous and rellentless too.... I like that.
Re: Does Anyone Speak Straight Egba Here? by bigfrancis21: 10:22pm On Feb 25, 2013

Then i did my own

From your DNA testing, more Igbo genes (65%) showed up in you than yoruba(25%) which means you are more of an Igbo person than yoruba.
Re: Does Anyone Speak Straight Egba Here? by tpia5: 10:32pm On Feb 25, 2013
mimifonwon:

so your "yoruba" side is 35% "yoruba" while your "igbo" side is 95% "igbo".

one day one day, you'll explain your full story cos this aint it.

if you check properly around your "hometown", I'm sure they'll tell you the same thing you say you "learnt" from dna.

being mixed is usually no secret, among most yorubas outside lagos they tend to know who's mixed and who isnt.

maybe your side is different sha.
Re: Does Anyone Speak Straight Egba Here? by bigfrancis21: 10:49pm On Feb 25, 2013
tpia@:

so your "yoruba" side is 35% "yoruba" while your "igbo" side is 95% "igbo".

one day one day, you'll explain your full story cos this aint it.

if you check properly around your "hometown", I'm sure they'll tell you the same thing you say you "learnt" from dna.

being mixed is usually no secret, among most yorubas outside lagos they tend to know who's mixed and who isnt.

maybe your side is different sha.
Her father is part Yoruba and part Igbo. Her mother is 100% Igbo. That explains why he has more Igbo genes showing up in her genes than yoruba (I.e 50-50). If she marries a 100% Igbo man, her children will all be 90% Igbo, at least, with Yoruba and Fulani left to share the remaining 10%.
Re: Does Anyone Speak Straight Egba Here? by tpia5: 1:18am On Feb 26, 2013
^she's trying to pretend she only found out her dad's igbo ancestry through "dna".

my own point is in yorubaland, people will already know because they keep detailed memory of lineage.

the fact that she's attempting to introduce a "dna" link, means she's either being mischievious or doesnt know what she's implying.

of course one only assumes she's nigerian at all, because she claims so.

2 Likes

Re: Does Anyone Speak Straight Egba Here? by Findingmyroots: 7:47am On May 31, 2013
@Harem, in reference to what u said "Remember Igbo have interacted with the Igala, Edo and Ibibios even Ijaws for thousands of years even before Nri dynasty was formed," according to history Igbo, ijaw, Akwa Ibom, Edo people with Igbo last names(such as Okoro, osadebe, Ugo) are all the same people. Learn more by contacting our Fb page titled "Findingmyroots." These sub groups were created due to royal family fights. Many are unaware that the first oba of benin(oba Eweka) was Eri 4th son(his original name was Edo.). Edo eventually recurred the Ozo title "oba." That's why in today's Anambra state there is a town named "oba," which is few kilometers from onitsha. Look it up.
Re: Does Anyone Speak Straight Egba Here? by Findingmyroots: 7:49am On May 31, 2013
The founder of igala kingdom was Attah. Attah was the third son to Eri. Attah immediate younger brother was edo(oba). Eri was grandson to isreal
Re: Does Anyone Speak Straight Egba Here? by Findingmyroots: 7:58am On May 31, 2013
Yes the Egba are igbos. The played around with their real name during the slave trade. the Egba, asaba, and onitsha people r all the same people, who are all igbos. Long story(royal family fighting separated them from Eri).
Re: Does Anyone Speak Straight Egba Here? by bokohalal(m): 12:50pm On May 31, 2013
Findingmyroots: @Harem, in reference to what u said "Remember Igbo have interacted with the Igala, Edo and Ibibios even Ijaws for thousands of years even before Nri dynasty was formed," according to history Igbo, ijaw, Akwa Ibom, Edo people with Igbo last names(such as Okoro, osadebe, Ugo) are all the same people. Learn more by contacting our Fb page titled "Findingmyroots." These sub groups were created due to royal family fights. Many are unaware that the first oba of benin(oba Eweka) was Eri 4th son(his original name was Edo.). Edo eventually recurred the Ozo title "oba." That's why in today's Anambra state there is a town named "oba," which is few kilometers from onitsha. Look it up.

Classic bunkum!

2 Likes

(1) (Reply)

Agemo Festival Today In Ijebu-ode / Eshu.....Esu......Yeshu......Yesu....Jesu...Jesus.......who Is This Person? / 5 Interesting Facts About The Idoma People Of Benue State

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 120
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.