Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,502 members, 7,819,823 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 01:20 AM

Why Do Some People Maltreat Their Househelps? - Family (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Why Do Some People Maltreat Their Househelps? (10099 Views)

Operation No To Househelps 2014 / Why Do Some Mothers-In-law Always Maltreat Their Daughters-In-laws? / Why Do Most Women Maltreat Their Househelps? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Do Some People Maltreat Their Househelps? by mavinc4u(f): 3:28pm On May 14, 2012
Siga: grin grin

Please no offence ooo....which animal be chamenlion...I tried google, it returned nothing...tx...just having some fun with ya...lol

lol u go google am, na make the name man or men enter the spelling plus lion becos na so most of men be.is chameleon

1 Like

Re: Why Do Some People Maltreat Their Househelps? by Impulse80(m): 3:50pm On May 14, 2012
moremi2008:

That's not how most househelps are treated. It might seem like a free-for-all situation but there are actually in-built checks and balances. First, it's hard to find a good househelp and most people that hire them tend to treat them fairly well. Second, if you treat a househelp badly, she will most likely run away. Three, the middleman that matches househelps with families will NOT work with you again if you treat one of the helps badly. Having said this, there are always exceptions, especially when the househelp has nobody to look out for his/her interests.

Almost every family I know back home have househelps and they are treated very well. My family is an example; we have always had househelps and they are paid and treated very well. Ditto for all the other families I know. The ones currently helping my mum earn 15k a month and they get free lodging, food and clothes (they also spend half the day sleeping and getting very fat).
Listen, i don't think u're in Nigeria, i went thru hell as a teenager being a houseboy to the point that i had to run away from dat house! Which one i go talk leave the other? Is it the beatings? Or the psycological trauma? (it took me 2 years to stop having nightmares of when i was there) just pray that calamity doesn't befall you(my dad died when i was 12, my mum 2 years later) or your wife because wetin anoda pesin go take ur children eyes see eh...
Re: Why Do Some People Maltreat Their Househelps? by Faheedat: 3:51pm On May 14, 2012
The correct name is CHAMELEON
a special clade of Lizard and has the ability to change colour and so many other characteristics
GOD BLESS NIGERIA

Re: Why Do Some People Maltreat Their Househelps? by Walexz02(m): 3:51pm On May 14, 2012
emmke: it might sadden you more to know that the madam probably has some old clothes stashed somewhere but will never spare them for the help. People actually think the job isn't honourable and people who do it are dirty and poor so they might as well treat them as dirtbags.
Lol dts unfear!!!!!
Re: Why Do Some People Maltreat Their Househelps? by djeezy(m): 3:57pm On May 14, 2012
Because the house helps are not their kids....It is totally wrong to maltreat house helps expecially the part where they are sent to go hawking stuffs while their master's kids go to school. No person should be held in servitude. It should be employer-employee relationship not master-servant/slave relationship...Now i think most people who lease out these house helps are more interested in money than making sure the child is in safe hands. Maltreating of house helps is notorious and infamous in Africa. Labour law act 2004, regulates these things and African charter on human and people's right.
Re: Why Do Some People Maltreat Their Househelps? by hannydarl(f): 4:26pm On May 14, 2012
Well I had one who helped babysit my first baby she was treated well infact she is preparing to go for her HND now. She treated my son like a brother. No human is perfect so as expected she had her faults but nothing major. I couldn't live with a person I can't treat as human. If my househelp does not perform I sack her no need to punish another womans child. Besides in my house I cook, prep food for the baby, wash all clthese except that of the maid. I don't leave home for more than 3hrs cos I like to be involved in raising my kids and caring for hubby. Maids work? Clean the house, run errands, play with the children.
Re: Why Do Some People Maltreat Their Househelps? by Nobody: 4:26pm On May 14, 2012
Siga: grin grin

Please no offence ooo....which animal be chamenlion...I tried google, it returned nothing...tx...just having some fun with ya...lol
CHAMENLION is a mixed breed of lion.
Re: Why Do Some People Maltreat Their Househelps? by Nobody: 4:27pm On May 14, 2012
stynoski: obakovich: When ur child does fat do u beat her,its nt all dat has a good upbringing. Ur really wicked and i dnt see u havn a good marriage. That is y ur husband will always cheat on u cause ur too bossy and commanding.

Your post is incoherent... what do you mean...? "When ur child does fat..." the way you talk shows that you really have problems relating with people... f.cking bitch... even if my husband cheats on me, it wont be with a pig like you!
does that to you. Mu.mu
Re: Why Do Some People Maltreat Their Househelps? by StateOfMind: 4:28pm On May 14, 2012
vizion:

I also know of a house-help that has a box of cloths but chose to where the same one every where, the madam of the house has threaten to burn the other clothes or take them back since the househelp don't what to wear them, but goes around making ppl feel he is being maltreated

We used to have a house help that did this. My siblings and I were in school, so my parents had to get a house help to stay at home with them and help with my mum's mini shop. Whenever we got bak from school, we gave this girl the clothes we've outgrown. The three of us oo, so u can imagine ow full her warddobe was (she had a room to herself). This girl only changes clothes twice, wears the tattered ones she brot from her village. We complained and complained and complained, then she finally told us one night that she was keeping the clothes so that wen she returns to her village, she'd have soemthing to wear. Well, we had to give her an option, wear dem or we seize the clothes and take them to the less privileged.

I can't stand a dirty maid, so we make them clean. Our maids don't go to school, but the stay in the shop, make their hair weekly, give them good clothes, take them out, eat whateva they like, in between meals and so on.

I believe You only get what you give, especially those that have small children. Treat your maids right and they will treat your children right.
I know some people maltreat their maids, wards..but not everbody does that.
Re: Why Do Some People Maltreat Their Househelps? by Nobody: 4:46pm On May 14, 2012
Some people can be wicked, I remember growing up, one of our maids, will tell my sister and I to sit and not move, imagine small kids no being allowed to play, and she'll get a cane and flog us for moving an inch, she warned us not to tell our mum, one day I vexed and told my mum, she left the next day.
Or the one I caught trying to choke my mum's friend's baby by stuffing the baby's flannel in his mouth and and putting the feeding bottle in the baby's mouth. I caught the girl doing this and warned, took the child away for the maid.
Only for the mother to come the next day and accuse me, the maid went to lie against me. I was so mad and vowed never to touch her child again,if not 4 my baby sister who witnessed the whole incident she wudn't av believed me
Re: Why Do Some People Maltreat Their Househelps? by Tobiegal(f): 5:21pm On May 14, 2012
Am truly not a fan of maids... neva had one...dont intend to have one.

Dats stated.

steph7:
Or the one I caught trying to choke my mum's friend's baby by stuffing the baby's flannel in his mouth and and putting the feeding bottle in the baby's mouth. I caught the girl doing this and warned, took the child away for the maid.

Not a fan of this either.

But what do u expect,when u bring an 8year old girl from d village to nurse a 6mths old baby
What does she know? Even what you have sighted up dre.... some mothers actually do that( yes it wrong, but they do)

How much more a child that still need to be taken care of.

When a child is concerned, i dont believe getting an under 10 or 15 would do d trick. The result is what u get to hear everyday...
'putting baby in freeze cos she was cold'or leaving her to play in water, when she eventually falls inside and dats it'

I dont care abt maids o.... i deal with ma family maself....bt, for pple who do, please think of you baby cum child before getting an underaged to watch over your baby 24hrs!!!

i cant shout!
Re: Why Do Some People Maltreat Their Househelps? by Daresh(f): 6:05pm On May 14, 2012
Personally I do not like having maids. But that being said sometimes they are of invaluable help. The first girl that came to stay with me was a touch touch person. I sent her out when she went to my room, took my cheque book out of my desk drawer and wrote herself a cheque! The second one like to pilfer. Steal biscuit for school, lie lie lie! One day I went out with the kids she thot I would be gone all day. I showed up after and hour I no see the babe. This girl left the back door open and went out for four hours! The last straw was one morning I went to the freezer to get sweets and I saw only 2 out of the pack. I called her and asked her what happened. See denial. I swear the babe started mouthing off "everything that happens in this house THEY wiLl say its me". That was the first day I slapped someone elses child. They girl I have now is cool, she talks well and sleeps a lot cos the work in my house is minimal.
Re: Why Do Some People Maltreat Their Househelps? by Nobody: 6:21pm On May 14, 2012
Some of d maids suffer oh!n d same girl I talked about earlier, her madam used to give her a packet of indomie to share with her baby as afternoon food, imagine a 12 year old eating half a packet of indomie. When I noticed it I used to supplement her food, cos they were always in my house.
Re: Why Do Some People Maltreat Their Househelps? by mavinc4u(f): 6:47pm On May 14, 2012
steph7: Some of d maids suffer oh!n d same girl I talked about earlier, her madam used to give her a packet of indomie to share with her baby as afternoon food, imagine a 12 year old eating half a packet of indomie. When I noticed it I used to supplement her food, cos they were always in my house.

what u did was wrong.if u wanted the good out of that girl,u should have told the madam instead of supplement so that the girl will see u as a nice girl and the mad

am as a wicked person. A good house girl is very difficult to come by,please u ve any,do your best to keep them if not u go meet syndicate.syndicate don dey waka like house girl.i witness one. Na warning shaa
Re: Why Do Some People Maltreat Their Househelps? by meetmeonline: 7:00pm On May 14, 2012
stynoski: What do you do when your house help flaunts all your rules and instructions? What do you do when he/she deliberately and repeatedly does the same things you have warned him/her not to do. A house help that breaks all your china wares one after the other, throws your baby on the floor repeatedly, dozes off when he/she is supposed to baby-sit an 8 months old, uses the toilet without flushing, the list is endless... pls answer, what do you do to such? Pat them on the back and say "be more careful next time, I have warned you 5 times already, the 6th time, I wont be so gentle!" Mscheww!!!

kindly keep a register with the names of everyone in the home and see who does it the most. Do not always count wrong just because it was not done by you child

1 Like

Re: Why Do Some People Maltreat Their Househelps? by NIKKnJAZZ(f): 7:54pm On May 14, 2012
stynoski: What do you do when your house help flaunts all your rules and instructions? What do you do when he/she deliberately and repeatedly does the same things you have warned him/her not to do. A house help that breaks all your china wares one after the other, throws your baby on the floor repeatedly, dozes off when he/she is supposed to baby-sit an 8 months old, uses the toilet without flushing, the list is endless... pls answer, what do you do to such? Pat them on the back and say "be more careful next time, I have warned you 5 times already, the 6th time, I wont be so gentle!" Mscheww!!!

Why would you even put your hands on someone you didn't give birth to? If the maid is breaking things and throwing your baby on the floor (which I'm sure she/he's not doing on purpose), you have the free will to fire them, and get yourself someone whose actions would be more appealing to you. How would you feel if someone repeatedly beat your child? Get your life, you sound like a tyrant! You think you're a bad-ass chica, but karma is the baddest biatch ever!
Re: Why Do Some People Maltreat Their Househelps? by BUSHMAN1: 8:25pm On May 14, 2012
stynoski:

For your f.cking info, I dont have a maid and I dont need one... you are the one that needs to see a shrink!!!!
honestly you are one messed up biaatch, becarefull what you wish for.remember the evil that do will come back to haunt you, ask your self why is that you have not been able to have another child? why is it that your business is not doing well? why is it that everything goes wrong for you? one day okada will hit you and you will not survive, because you are a cruell biaatch
Re: Why Do Some People Maltreat Their Househelps? by maasoap(m): 8:29pm On May 14, 2012
moremi2008:

Two separate issues here: maltreatment and pampering. The first one is simple; maltreating somebody else's child is bad and sows some serious bad karma. With regards to the second issue... well, when you start running your own household, feel free to send the house-girl to AIS/BIS and to buy your house-boy a PlayStation! If you like gan sef, adopt the maid. Then you would need to hire another house-girl/house-boy to do the other one's chores! Shebi nah your money? grin grin
Very faulty arguement. Sending him or her to school doesn't automatically mean the end of him/her performing household chores. Doing household chores doesn't mean automatically not having time for any other things like going to school under your care. Though I agree with you that @OP mixed two separate issues of maltreating and showering together. Or do you mean a houseboy/girl helping your family is condemned for life as long as he/she getting his/her salary? It is legally and economically justifiable but not morally justifiable.
Re: Why Do Some People Maltreat Their Househelps? by otokx(m): 8:32pm On May 14, 2012
The other day my colleague in the office a woman was saying how well she treats her house help and calling on Jesus and all the host of heaven as witness. Not so long after then right in the office this woman sent the house help to go and wash her car right there in the office and it was then the whole truth became so clear. The fact that the house help or maid goes to school or church or party with your family does not mean she is not being maltreated.
Re: Why Do Some People Maltreat Their Househelps? by maasoap(m): 8:45pm On May 14, 2012
Shinatu: [b][/b]

@Moremi2008
I am surprised that you got this right despite the fact that you do not live in Nigeria( the first paragraph of your post). Many Nigerians in the diaspora get it all wrong, the only thing they know about house maids is what they remember from their childhood i.e how their mothers treated their housemaids. I do not treat my house maid badly (she is 19years old), she goes with us to every family special outing (be it by air or by road)and sits on the same table with us eating what we eat, does she wear the same quality of chlothes my children wear? No or does she have all that my children have ? No

I should not be seen as 'different', because I am not I am surrounded by people who treat their house maids the same way, if not better!
since she's likely to spend many years under your roof as long as you people do not get tired of each other, what are you doing to make her life or future better? Because you were silent on that aspect.
Re: Why Do Some People Maltreat Their Househelps? by nuellaodion: 10:03pm On May 14, 2012
Am not really a fan for maids. I treat every child as I would treat my child.I hate injustice metted on the hopeless and helpless. But then one has to be careful in employing the use of maids. a colleague of mine once told me how their maid did unholy and dirty stuff with him at age 6(forced him to touch her in "untypeable"place. Its Better as a mother u take care of your kids yourself or Better still get ur relative to come over and stay with u to avoid stories that touch the heart
Re: Why Do Some People Maltreat Their Househelps? by vinderbilt: 10:17pm On May 14, 2012
This is so true! Just see how the woman in this Youtube video treats the girl just because she is her maid!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t8YBlSXkkjw
Re: Why Do Some People Maltreat Their Househelps? by obasijoy(f): 10:56pm On May 14, 2012
To me is all about individual differences, as for me my house help is a boy of 11yrs, I treat him like my own son. I always buy the same cloth for him and my son, I love seeing them putting on the same cloth whenever we are going out. they go to the same school. He feeds at least four times a day . I make sure most times he eats whatever I'm eating. My neighbors and street people always think that he is my son. And God has been blessing me through them because they are innocent kids. They pray for me always. The way you treat your house help determine how he/she will treat your kids in your absence. Some people has passion for children while some don't and those that doesn't are they ones that maltreats their house help.

1 Like

Re: Why Do Some People Maltreat Their Househelps? by jethro2: 12:20am On May 15, 2012
@ stynox. Please learn a bit of decency in relating to people. Its just a forum to for expression. @ others that curses, haba!! It not decent. Dont always make every forum about quarels.
Re: Why Do Some People Maltreat Their Househelps? by moremi2008(m): 2:14am On May 15, 2012
maasoap: Very faulty arguement. Sending him or her to school doesn't automatically mean the end of him/her performing household chores. Doing household chores doesn't mean automatically not having time for any other things like going to school under your care. Though I agree with you that @OP mixed two separate issues of maltreating and showering together. Or do you mean a houseboy/girl helping your family is condemned for life as long as he/she getting his/her salary? It is legally and economically justifiable but not morally justifiable.

What on earth are you talking about? You completely missed the point of my comment. Do you know what AIS/BIS stand for? That would probably explain why the sarcasm flew right over your head.

otokx: The other day my colleague in the office a woman was saying how well she treats her house help and calling on Jesus and all the host of heaven as witness. Not so long after then right in the office this woman sent the house help to go and wash her car right there in the office and it was then the whole truth became so clear. The fact that the house help or maid goes to school or church or party with your family does not mean she is not being maltreated.

So asking her maid to wash her car is maltreatment in your mind? Who should have washed it? The madam herself? You're ridiculous. I doubt you've ever employed anybody in your entire life.
Re: Why Do Some People Maltreat Their Househelps? by Martini101(m): 4:59am On May 15, 2012
I think its a psychological thing 4 women cos some women are just hard to please. No matter how well d maid performs her duties, 'she' 'll still be Castigated by d madam of d house. Most times the Oga's hands re tied or else he risks being accused of sleeping wit d maid no matter how young she may be. Lol
Re: Why Do Some People Maltreat Their Househelps? by Shinatu: 8:46am On May 15, 2012
maasoap: since she's likely to spend many years under your roof as long as you people do not get tired of each other, what are you doing to make her life or future better? Because you were silent on that aspect.

@maasoap

I did not set out to write an epistle on my plans for my house maid.I only wanted to quickly drop my support for moremi2008's stand that many people still treat their house maid fairly. I am puzzled at the tone of your statement on 'my silence' is it really hard to believe that some employers of labour (house maids) can be reasonable?

Anyway, my housemaid is an adult and gets paid,her salary is not constant because mine is not constant too, it gets reviewed.She shall also get a factor of her salary depending on the number of years spent when she is ready to leave (this is the agreed, there could be other 'jara')I have engaged her on what she would like to do to secure her future, she has told me her plans and I give my counsell as far as I can give, I have learnt that counsell is a significant thing lacking in the lives of these young ladies and many of them see you as a nuisance when you insist on it.
Re: Why Do Some People Maltreat Their Househelps? by buJu234: 10:06am On May 15, 2012
this where most of those church women practised their real evil nature.
I have one in my neighbourhood; infact i think it is high time; i report her to the
police
Re: Why Do Some People Maltreat Their Househelps? by Lexoria: 11:42am On May 15, 2012
obakovich:
When ur child does fat do u beat her,its nt all dat has a good upbringing. Ur really wicked and i dnt see u havn a good marriage. That is y ur husband will always cheat on u cause ur too bossy and commanding.

Sorry, but she 's right.If my child does any of the above, I 'll spanking him /her seriously.I 'vehad a househelp and I tried to treat her as my first child but she just proved to be on a mission in my household.I was constantly warning my hubby that he was too young to have high BP because of a househelp cos she'll do the opposite of anything u instruct her to do and I will beat or just ignore her and do it myself while my hubby is left shouting and being very angry.After 9 months, we decided to return her to her parents instead of trying to help them and she 'll be influencing our kids badly, which will leave us with more work in Disciplining our own kids.I 'm glad to say that those signs that made me concerned for my hubby 's health are gone andthe stagnation or backwardness that crawled into our home then left from the very day my mom came to take her to her parents (we intended to keep paying her school fees even though she 's not related to us)and apart from loving to play at every given time our kids are well behaved, no more lies, being mischievously wicked.Picking and hiding things that belong to someone else etc.So with househelps, some people really do maltreated them which is wrong in every sense so instead of doing that, send them back to their parents cos they can be annoying and anger and frustration can make one do harsh things.
Re: Why Do Some People Maltreat Their Househelps? by vanminister: 11:57am On May 15, 2012
first reason why people maltreat their house help- if the househelp is a beautiful girl- the man may be frustrated that he cant bed her!especially, if all advances fails; this maltreatment might end up into false accusation, suspicious missing money or jewellry etc

secondly the woman of the house may want to subdue her emotionally, physically, psychologically so that she may not be attractive to any1 include her husband. and if she's started to curve at the right places, then the woman will go and sow mama oniboli ankara or a garment for her which will disguise her endowments and frame (boys please keep your tots in check!)

thirdly, the masters of the house sometimes bring the frustrations of and at work to the house setting. they take this up with the househelp or any1 in their vicinity including the driver, gateman and gardener.Typical.

The list is not exhaustive but i will like to end by adding that these maltreatment they sometime do out of ignorance, lack of home training, pride, ego

and the believe that they 'must' boss someone atleast even though it is the househelp.

However, the true masters are the ones that stoop down to serve! How we all have a lot to learn from the Lord?

do i make sense?
Re: Why Do Some People Maltreat Their Househelps? by stynoski: 1:02pm On May 15, 2012
Mafious(m):This is the kind of Mad Dog mentality that some Nigerian Women exhibit that make you just wonder if they are sick in the head or they deliberately try to act crazy. If you were to post this here in Texas you would spend the next 15 years of your sorry Bottom tucked away in a cold prison so you can have enough time to reflect. What does employing anyone less than 18 years old full time amount to "CHILD ABUSE". What does asking an 11 year old to take care of an 18 months old baby amount to "IRRESPONSIBILITY". I remember my own parents had to tell me to do stuff thousands of times and I'll still refuse to do it, it's part of being a child then you act as if your own children are any better. Their are certain things I would not stand for Child Abuse is one of them. With your mood swings and mental instability that borders on psychosis the last thing you need to be doing is employing mere children.[tt][/tt]

You are so full of yourself... you talk about Nigerian women as if your mother is not one... I am sure your mother is sick in the head... You live in Texas washing corpses in the morgue, living in some basement all your life... so fucking what? If your parents spoilt you, I will not spoil mine... Its your mother that has psychosis and neurosis combined... plus being a prostitute!

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Pregnant Teen Wins Abortion Battle Against Parents / Why Are Men Natural Leaders? Are They More Intelligent Than Women? / Today Is International Men's Day !

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 89
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.