Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,659 members, 7,820,317 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 12:58 PM

Why Do Some People Maltreat Their Househelps? - Family (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Why Do Some People Maltreat Their Househelps? (10102 Views)

Operation No To Househelps 2014 / Why Do Some Mothers-In-law Always Maltreat Their Daughters-In-laws? / Why Do Most Women Maltreat Their Househelps? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Do Some People Maltreat Their Househelps? by harakiri(m): 2:11pm On May 15, 2012
Impulse80: Listen, i don't think u're in Nigeria, i went thru hell as a teenager being a houseboy to the point that i had to run away from dat house! Which one i go talk leave the other? Is it the beatings? Or the psycological trauma? (it took me 2 years to stop having nightmares of when i was there) just pray that calamity doesn't befall you(my dad died when i was 12, my mum 2 years later) or your wife because wetin anoda pesin go take ur children eyes see eh...

Thank you very much. Some of the people commenting here are either not in touch with reality or telling outright lies. There are some talking about how good they treat their househelps but i'm pretty sure those househelps would have a different story to tell if they were to say their piece.
Re: Why Do Some People Maltreat Their Househelps? by pdpiperpippen: 2:54pm On May 15, 2012
Look!! stop talking rubbish moderator, nothing like “some pple maltreating their maids” its common knowledge that women and only women are in the pratice of maltreating maids, men ocassionaly indulge themselves sha! bt that's the exception rather than the rule.
Re: Why Do Some People Maltreat Their Househelps? by maasoap(m): 4:55pm On May 15, 2012
Shinatu:

@maasoap

I did not set out to write an epistle on my plans for my house maid.I only wanted to quickly drop my support for moremi2008's stand that many people still treat their house maid fairly. I am puzzled at the tone of your statement on 'my silence' is it really hard to believe that some employers of labour (house maids) can be reasonable?

Anyway, my housemaid is an adult and gets paid,her salary is not constant because mine is not constant too, it gets reviewed.She shall also get a factor of her salary depending on the number of years spent when she is ready to leave (this is the agreed, there could be other 'jara')I have engaged her on what she would like to do to secure her future, she has told me her plans and I give my counsell as far as I can give, I have learnt that counsell is a significant thing lacking in the lives of these young ladies and many of them see you as a nuisance when you insist on it.
Completed.
Re: Why Do Some People Maltreat Their Househelps? by Shinatu: 5:02pm On May 15, 2012
harakiri:

Thank you very much. Some of the people commenting here are either not in touch with reality or telling outright lies. There are some talking about how good they treat their househelps but i'm pretty sure those househelps would have a different story to tell if they were to say their piece.

At a time while growing up in my own home under my parents, I would not have had pleasant things to say about how my own mother was treating me.

I wonder how many of us working under an organised establishment have all good things to say about our employers, are we not always complaining about one thing or the other that make us perceive that our employers dont care about us?
Re: Why Do Some People Maltreat Their Househelps? by Lexoria: 5:46pm On May 15, 2012
Shinatu:

At a time while growing up in my own home under my parents, I would not have had pleasant things to say about how my own mother was treating me.

I wonder how many of us working under an organised establishment have all good things to say about our employers, are we not always complaining about one thing or the other that make us perceive that our employers dont care about us?

Exactly, I know my elder sis who always replied my mom and do very silly things will say she was being maltreated too or my cousin and my brow who were found of bullying people around the house in Dennis the Menance or problem child way and were steadily beaten for their misgiving would also say they were being maltreated.Some people just magnify everything, even though some people do maltreated their help.
Re: Why Do Some People Maltreat Their Househelps? by NAJALYN: 5:57pm On May 15, 2012
So many people are guilty of maltreating their househelp. It is not the best. When you treat your househelp well the househelp is happy and will serve you well. Let him/her put on descent clothes, eat same food with the family, go to school, play with your kids, share the house chores for the househelp and your kids. If you over work your househelp & fail to expose your kids to housechores, you are training that househelp & not helping your kids. On the long run, you will have yourself to blame. You see so many cases of girls who cant wash their undies let alone cook. Should, God forbid, children who are pampered lose their parents, who will cook or clean for them, me?
Re: Why Do Some People Maltreat Their Househelps? by lekawo26: 6:34pm On May 15, 2012
texazzpete:

Then you need more exposure. Sorry but in the real world, a large percentage of househelps are treated like slaves.
not necessarily..we've always had househelps and nobody can tell the difference..my mum used to sew thesame christmas clothes for all of us including the househelp. Our current maid is the one in charge of the kitchen..she eats waht she likes and cooks waht she likes. Sleeps in a room as big as mine and like the other guy said sleeps half the day and eats throughout the other half...at the end of the year she goes back to cotonou with 120k she earned basically eating and doing small chores.
Re: Why Do Some People Maltreat Their Househelps? by CuteXclaim(f): 7:11pm On May 15, 2012
moremi2008:

Two separate issues here: maltreatment and pampering. The first one is simple; maltreating somebody else's child is bad and sows some serious bad karma. With regards to the second issue... well, when you start running your own household, feel free to send the house-girl to AIS/BIS and to buy your house-boy a PlayStation! If you like gan sef, adopt the maid. Then you would need to hire another house-girl/house-boy to do the other one's chores! Shebi nah your money? grin grin

I doubt if you live in the real word,because if you do you will really understand wat i'm talking about. I don't blame you sha, probably you are one those spoilt whose all their chores has to be done by a maid,so you see it very wrong for your son to sit with your male maid and play game together after he might have done with the chores given to him
Re: Why Do Some People Maltreat Their Househelps? by CuteXclaim(f): 7:23pm On May 15, 2012
My opinion differ, treat your maid almost the same way (if not the same),you will treat your child, i don't oppose corporal punishment for children be it your own or the maid.[color=#006600][/color]
Re: Why Do Some People Maltreat Their Househelps? by uzoexcel(m): 8:12pm On May 15, 2012
moremi2008:

That's not how most househelps are treated. It might seem like a free-for-all situation but there are actually in-built checks and balances. First, it's hard to find a good househelp and most people that hire them tend to treat them fairly well. Second, if you treat a househelp badly, she will most likely run away. Three, the middleman that matches househelps with families will NOT work with you again if you treat one of the helps badly. Having said this, there are always exceptions, especially when the househelp has nobody to look out for his/her interests.

Almost every family I know back home have househelps and they are treated very well. My family is an example; we have always had househelps and they are paid and treated very well. Ditto for all the other families I know. The ones currently helping my mum earn 15k a month and they get free lodging, food and clothes (they also spend half the day sleeping and getting very fat).
@ moremi...r u living in dz planet?
Re: Why Do Some People Maltreat Their Househelps? by moremi2008(m): 12:10am On May 16, 2012
uzoexcel:
@ moremi...r u living in dz planet?

Look, I grew up in a home that always had several maids and in a neighborhood in which every house had at least one maid. I am speaking from my own personal experience and from my observations of the situation in my friends, neighbors and family members' homes. Most salary-earning maids are treated well and fairly. If you read my initial post carefully, you will notice that I made an exception for house helps that do not have anyone looking out for their interests (and this will include house helps sourced for free from extended family/the village).
Re: Why Do Some People Maltreat Their Househelps? by Claus(m): 12:37pm On May 16, 2012
The issue is about how some people maltreat their househelps.

Even if it is a minority of people that do this, it is a large enough minority for us as a society to feel uncomfortable about.

If there are stories of how some (or even a majority) of people treat their househelps fairly then we can applaud those people, but it shouldn't really detract from the issue which is the maltreatment of househelps on a scale that should make any society uncomfortable.

We should not have such low thresholds, even if only 25% of househelps are being maltreated, it is worthy of serious attention!

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Why Are Men Natural Leaders? Are They More Intelligent Than Women? / Today Is International Men's Day ! / The Best And Worst Sleeping Position As A Couple [PHOTO]

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 32
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.