Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,223 members, 7,815,278 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 10:07 AM

Ibadan In Its Glory - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Ibadan In Its Glory (7469 Views)

Aisha Buhari Visits The Olubadan Of Ibadan In His Palace. Pic / Police Shouldn't Take Glory For Falae's Release, We Paid Ransom – Family Source / Pictures Of Ibadan In The 60s (from Skyscraper City) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Ibadan In Its Glory by MrFire: 10:15pm On May 14, 2012
When did Clarke sing those poems? Now or 50 years ago? grin
Clarke was a poetry Prof at Ibadan then; what city did you expect him to sing about? Afghanistan?
Can Clarke sing those same lines today about Ibadan?
Funny other cities are growing, Ibadan is diminishing. grin grin grin grin
Re: Ibadan In Its Glory by tpia5: 10:57pm On May 14, 2012
this parts are what would be refered to in many regions of the world as "Old City". This part of ancient cities tend to retain their look and feel from ancient time

true.

the complainers have no issues when they see old neighborhoods and historic towns in europe, but always whine about the same in nigeria.
Re: Ibadan In Its Glory by Nobody: 11:09pm On May 14, 2012
Ibadan is a shytehole just like most Nigerian advanced villages cities - apart from Abuja, and arguably parts of Lagos..

Ibadan, Enugu, Benin City, and Kaduna are great disappointments, though.. Ibadan people seriously need to improve their way of life - and their amala politics has to go.
Re: Ibadan In Its Glory by MrFire: 11:47pm On May 14, 2012
tpia@:

true.

the complainers have no issues when they see old neighborhoods and historic towns in europe, but always whine about the same in nigeria.

Yeah! I get it. European historic towns are as drab as Ibadan. Why not post one such drab historic town in an European country that is as prominent as Ibadan is to SW Nigeria?

Brugge in Belgium is more than 1200 years old http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bruges. Can you compare it to Ibadan that is less than 200 years old: Ibadan came into existence in 1829.http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ibadan
Re: Ibadan In Its Glory by tpia5: 2:34am On May 15, 2012
immigration to the US was from where?

only africa?

use your brain sweetie.
Re: Ibadan In Its Glory by Nobody: 5:00am On May 15, 2012
shymmex: Ibadan is a shytehole just like most Nigerian advanced villages cities - apart from Abuja, and arguably parts of Lagos..

Ibadan, Enugu, Benin City, and Kaduna are great disappointments, though.. Ibadan people seriously need to improve their way of life - and their amala politics has to go.

Shut it. In every Nigerian city, there is old and modern sections. There is part of Ibadan, it may not be big, that is as modern as where you live in Uk. The size of your pocket determines where you live in the city.

If you go to Enugu, at least the parts that I lived during my six months sojourn there, their beautiful avenues, it is as modern as where you live. But there are old sections as well that can be referred to as ancient Enugu just like ancient part of Ibadan. Same is applicable to Benin City. I believe there are more slums in Lagos than in these cities.

Abuja is different because it's master plan was strictly enforced by FG.

1 Like

Re: Ibadan In Its Glory by emiye(m): 5:25am On May 15, 2012
Ibadan is not just called an ancient city for nothing sake, development got in to the city earlier than most cities, Although it was the "development " of the said time. Those rusty roofs depicts predominantly old houses, zinc roofing sheets was the in thing as of those period.

A man who buys a car in 1980 and his friend buys is own in 2000, it is common sense that the 1980 car will most likely look inferior to the 2000 car. An average building should last for at least 100 years, while cars for say 20 years.

It must be noted that cars are easier to dispose than houses.
Re: Ibadan In Its Glory by olapluto(m): 6:05am On May 15, 2012
I love Ibadan as it is. Every great city has its own core signature. We do not cherish what we have. Those houses should be listed and kept as the are. Who said you cannot have a mansion with brown roofs? The people of Ibadan are not complaining. They are not backward either. They are just enjoying their historic town. Moreover, over half of Ibadan is not brown roofed! I foresee a future of balanced old-school (victorian) and new houses.
Re: Ibadan In Its Glory by Kilode1: 6:32am On May 15, 2012
Beaf:

I really loved this poem as a kid; I was in awe at the inventiveness of a man who could paint words so gracefully, beautifully and with such dreamy poignance.

Do you know he is Edwin Clarkes younger brother? I was shocked when I learnt that, cos I always assumed he was from Ibadan.

Another poet in his class is David Diop:

You like weavers of words? Not surprising at all. Lol

Yes I heard they are brothers, its funny I actually thought they were the same person when I was younger and less aware.

Your observation about Clark's identity is a testament to the type of promise university/cosmoplitan cities like Ibadan held in those days, it's a real pity we were afflicted with visionless leaders at crucial stages of our development. They further divided us. Oh well.

Christopher Okigbo was another great one, I encountered his works when I was too young to understand him, i'm rediscovering him now. We are exceedingly blessed with great weavers of words and emotions.

I'm not sure if I should say we were lucky or unfortunate those folks were too caught up in their literary pursuit to step into the explosive arena of national politics, a writer poet with a passion for active politics is a dangerous weapon in any language.
Re: Ibadan In Its Glory by deshclones(m): 7:04am On May 15, 2012
Aigbofa:

Absolutely, built at a time when ibos were still living in trees.

you right looser....such a shame that the peeps that supposedly lived on trees are all grown and outsmarted those that lived in houses...go to the east and see clean and modern houses and amenities....just like the case of a rich man's kids and the gate-man's kids that finally surpassed the rich man's kids in every facet of life...live with your unquantifiable hate and misery cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy

2 Likes

Re: Ibadan In Its Glory by Nobody: 7:25am On May 15, 2012
deshclones:

you right looser....such a shame that the peeps that supposedly lived on trees are all grown and outsmarted those that lived in houses...go to the east and see clean and modern houses and amenities....just like the case of a rich man's kids and the gate-man's kids that finally surpassed the rich man's kids in every facet of life...live with your unquantifiable hate and misery cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy

Dream on.
Re: Ibadan In Its Glory by Yeske2(m): 7:30am On May 15, 2012
Aigbofa:

Dream on.
Dream away.
Re: Ibadan In Its Glory by Nobody: 7:38am On May 15, 2012
Yeske!:
Dream away.

LOl grin
Re: Ibadan In Its Glory by ektbear: 7:42am On May 15, 2012
Eh.

Old cities certainly have parts which will look older than new cities.

I wonder why people always post pictures of places built in the 40s, 50s and earlier rather then say Bodija.
Re: Ibadan In Its Glory by ektbear: 7:47am On May 15, 2012
At a minimum, if you are going to post pictures of buildings in Ibadan built in the 40s, then let us also see pictures from your area of buildings from the 1940s..

1 Like

Re: Ibadan In Its Glory by Beaf: 7:55am On May 15, 2012
Kilode?!:

You like weavers of words? Not surprising at all. Lol

Yes I heard they are brothers, its funny I actually thought they were the same person when I was younger and less aware.

Your observation about Clark's identity is a testament to the type of promise university/cosmoplitan cities like Ibadan held in those days, it's a real pity we were afflicted with visionless leaders at crucial stages of our development. They further divided us. Oh well.

Nigeria has been on a downward slope since day one. I actually found it quite difficult to understand that JP Clark was not an Ibadan man. These days, do we even have poets, talkless of those that de-ethnisised? Our beloved country's capacity to draw sadness just grows and grows with each passing day. E go beta! embarassed

Kilode?!:

Christopher Okigbo was another great one, I encountered his works when I was too young to understand him, i'm rediscovering him now. We are exceedingly blessed with great weavers of words and emotions.

I'm not sure if I should say we were lucky or unfortunate those folks were too caught up in their literary pursuit to step into the explosive arena of national politics, a writer poet with a passion for active politics is a dangerous weapon in any language.

Christopher Okigbo is deep, but his style is more European. I love poems with an earthy feel, those that waft you along in the old ways and values, connect to your subconcious in a way that is culturally resonant and give force to your inner being. Wole Soyinka does that, Achebe is not a poet, but he is a master of the art as well.

I also have some strange tastes like Mutabaruka. He writes in patois, but its powerful stuff. Try this: http://www.ireggae.com/dispoem.htm

Poets in politics, wordsmiths of any sort in politics are a recipe great change, revolution and realisation. Danger or progress.
Re: Ibadan In Its Glory by FACE(m): 11:16am On May 15, 2012
I think that old places can still manage to look beautiful , but they need to be orderly to look good. Central London is nearly 2000 years old and still manages to look very orderly with well defined streets albeit narrow at times. Flying into London at night is a sight to behold.

All the places that I have lived in my life have well defined layouts and are orderly, so it itches my eyes to see places with zig-zagged, meandering narrow roads and houses built in a haphazzard manner that creaters a huge urban clutter.

When houses are built in such disorganised manner as Ibadan, it devalues any area and it would take massive demolitions to put things right. However, I like old cities and I think that there must have been something that was big enough to attract so many people to Ibadan back in the days. They need to find whatever it was that made it tick and restore the whole metroplis with good urban planning and development. Kano is also an old city (over 1000 years old) with a metropolis as large or larger than Ibadan, but is not cluttered in appearance.
Re: Ibadan In Its Glory by Kilode1: 12:44pm On May 15, 2012
Beaf thanks for the link, never heard of him, I'll check it out.

On Okigbo, I think he was evolving, his later works betrayed a shift towards home, we lost him too early I guess.
Re: Ibadan In Its Glory by MajeOfficial: 6:59pm On Dec 07, 2012
Bump!
THis is like the yoruba version of the ENugu thread! more pics please!
Re: Ibadan In Its Glory by geez1: 7:42pm On Dec 07, 2012
[quote author=]Bump!
THis is like the yoruba version of the ENugu thread! more pics please![/quote]

Yawns! The state still has a bigger economy that any state in Igboland and is also as big in landmass as the whole of Igboland

1 Like

Re: Ibadan In Its Glory by PROUDIGBO(m): 7:55pm On Dec 07, 2012
geez*:

Yawns! The state still has a bigger economy that any state in Igboland and is also as big in landmass as the whole of Igboland

^^^Why are you being so defensive? Where's the malice in his post?
Re: Ibadan In Its Glory by geez1: 8:01pm On Dec 07, 2012
PROUD-IGBO:

^^^Why are you being so defensive? Where's the malice in his post?

Was that defensive? You may wanna google up the meaning of that word for real
Re: Ibadan In Its Glory by MajeOfficial: 8:04pm On Dec 07, 2012
geez*:

Wow. I don't know why you got so defensive. Also Rivers is richer than any state in Nigeria.

2 Likes

Re: Ibadan In Its Glory by geez1: 8:10pm On Dec 07, 2012
[quote author=]
Wow. I don't know why you got so defensive. Also Rivers is richer than any state in Nigeria.

[/quote]

You missed out Lagos or why are just being ... naive
Re: Ibadan In Its Glory by MajeOfficial: 8:12pm On Dec 07, 2012
No, Rivers is richer than Lagos, Lagos has a higher GDP which simply means more things are made there but the per capita in Rivers is the highest by far, which means the citizens enjoy more wealth
Re: Ibadan In Its Glory by geez1: 8:24pm On Dec 07, 2012
[quote author=]No, Rivers is richer than Lagos, Lagos has a higher GDP which simply means more things are made there but the per capita in Rivers is the highest by far, which means the citizens enjoy more wealth[/quote]

The per capita is only like $300 more in Rivers State and the population of Lagos is more than thrice that of Rivers. What does that tell you economically? besides, per capita measures wealth in the hands of the people while GDP measures the state's output. Also if you took always the per capita of oil and gas staff in Rivers, the state's per capita will be barely half of Lagos'
Re: Ibadan In Its Glory by geez1: 8:24pm On Dec 07, 2012
[quote authorMajeOfficial]No, Rivers is richer than Lagos, Lagos has a higher GDP which simply means more things are made there but the per capita in Rivers is the highest by far, which means the citizens enjoy more wealth[quote]

The per capita is only like $300 more in Rivers State and the population of Lagos is more than thrice that of Rivers. What does that tell you economically? Besides, per capita measures wealth in the hands of the people while GDP measures the state's output. Also if you took always the per capita of oil and gas staff in Rivers, the state's per capita will be barely half of Lagos'
Re: Ibadan In Its Glory by Nobody: 10:35pm On Dec 07, 2012
afam4eva: Whenever i visit Ibadan, it's always as if i took a time travel back to the 60s.

grin cheesy o'boy you wicked o.
you mean say ibadan is trapped in time? embarassed cry

3 Likes

Re: Ibadan In Its Glory by veraponpo(m): 12:08am On Dec 08, 2012
Very funny. It is paimful that most people here dont know that Ibadan is still of the best cities in Nigeria. Infact,how many cities do we have. Ibadan with 12 local govts , has more than 5 industrial estates,has the first university in Nigeria, first television,first international stadium,first skyscraper,etc. OP just misled the people here because the pictures only capture a part of the city.it is painful that I dont stay there anymore but I can mention at least more than 10 places that OP will pray to live in-Jericho, Alalubosa,Oluyole Estate, Oluyole Extension, New Bodija, Liberty,Felele layout, GRA,Old Ife road,Ring road,Challenge,etc I still pray to have an opportunity to enjoy the city once more. This does not depict Ibadan at all, it is even less than a ward which is like 1/1000 of Ibadan.

3 Likes

Re: Ibadan In Its Glory by MajeOfficial: 12:38am On Dec 08, 2012
[quote author=geez*][/quote]
You can make excuses, but the fact remains. If i say Rivers is richer than any state in the SW, it's truth.
You can't start telling me why and about oil etc etc. Is oil not feeding the entire nation? If Rivers wasn't producing would Nigeria exist?
Rivers is the most important state in the entire federation because it's produces makes sure the State has cause to exist.
Re: Ibadan In Its Glory by Nobody: 2:00am On Dec 08, 2012
The govt needs to mandate all rusty zinc roofs be recoated or replaced by modern roofing as a matter of policy. If necessary subsidies should be made available to landlords of the buildings.

1 Like

Re: Ibadan In Its Glory by MajeOfficial: 2:06am On Dec 08, 2012
99% of Nigeria's cities, especially in the SW, will look modern if Nigeria did 3 things

1. ban zinc roofing
2. mandatory repainting of all properties a person owns
3. ban illegal structures.

everywhere will look like Abuja.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Prince Donatus Okonkwo Celebrates His 50th Birthday Today / The Road To Recover Nigeria From Our Number One Problem - Oyewole Michael / Police Rescue Kidnapped Briton In Lagos

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 49
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.