Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,133 members, 7,814,960 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 02:05 AM

Ibadan In Its Glory - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Ibadan In Its Glory (7466 Views)

Aisha Buhari Visits The Olubadan Of Ibadan In His Palace. Pic / Police Shouldn't Take Glory For Falae's Release, We Paid Ransom – Family Source / Pictures Of Ibadan In The 60s (from Skyscraper City) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Ibadan In Its Glory by igbo2011(m): 3:14pm On Dec 12, 2012
[quote author=]99% of Nigeria's cities, especially in the SW, will look modern if Nigeria did 3 things

1. ban zinc roofing
2. mandatory repainting of all properties a person owns
3. ban illegal structures.

everywhere will look like Abuja. [/quote]
Define "modern"
Re: Ibadan In Its Glory by LordNaya: 6:19pm On Dec 12, 2012
IBADAN IS A BIG DISAPPOINTMENT AND DISGRACE TO NIGERIA. IF IBADAN THE CAPITAL OF YORUBALAND IS A BIG RUSTY SLUM, HOW WOULD EKITI, ONDO, OSUN AND OGUN LOOK LIKE ? I GUESS LIKE A SEWAGE TANK. KADUNA, KANO, MINNA, SOKOTO AND EVEN MAIDUGURI AND DAMATURU LOOK FAR BETTER THAN THIS DESPITE BOKOHARAM. THE NORTH IS FAR BETTER THAN THE SH.ITHOLE CALLED SOUTHWEST. DAN ISKA
Re: Ibadan In Its Glory by kingingkinging: 8:19pm On Dec 12, 2012
Lord Naya: IBADAN IS A BIG DISAPPOINTMENT AND DISGRACE TO NIGERIA. IF IBADAN THE CAPITAL OF YORUBALAND IS A BIG RUSTY SLUM, HOW WOULD EKITI, ONDO, OSUN AND OGUN LOOK LIKE ? I GUESS LIKE A SEWAGE TANK. KADUNA, KANO, MINNA, SOKOTO AND EVEN MAIDUGURI AND DAMATURU LOOK FAR BETTER THAN THIS DESPITE BOKOHARAM. THE NORTH IS FAR BETTER THAN THE SH.ITHOLE CALLED SOUTHWEST. DAN ISKA

So, evidently you have never been to Ibadan before. It is so big that the population and the space there is so big that it is bigger that most of the Eastern states. It houses big people like Bola Ige (before his demise),Harry Akande, Dehinde Fernadez,Arisekola Alao,etc.

Ibadan is beautiful but has its bad spots like other cities.

I wish you visit Ibadan and enjoy yourself.
Re: Ibadan In Its Glory by PROUDIGBO(m): 9:48pm On Dec 12, 2012
[quote author=]99% of Nigeria's cities, especially in the SW, will look modern if Nigeria did 3 things

1. ban zinc roofing

^^^Not just "especially in the south west", but ALL major towns in the south; i mean, have you seen Onitsha!?......that Town could look like Milan tomorrow (well maybe 'Milan' is a bit far fetched, but you get my point) if they repainted all the flats in places like Awada and Woliwo (if my memory serves me right undecided), changed any aging fixtures and fittings like balconies and railings, changed the roofing, and -most importantly- tarred all the inner city roads and lined them with trees and shrubs; i kid you not.
Re: Ibadan In Its Glory by Yeske2(m): 10:33pm On Dec 12, 2012
PROUD-IGBO:

^^^Not just "especially in the south west", but ALL major towns in the south; i mean, have you seen Onitsha!?......that Town could look like Milan tomorrow (well maybe 'Milan' is a bit far fetched, but you get my point) if they repainted all the flats in places like Awada and Woliwo (if my memory serves me right undecided), changed any aging fixtures and fittings like balconies and railings, changed the roofing, and -most importantly- tarred all the inner city roads and lined them with trees and shrubs; i kid you not.
I get your drift bro,lols.
Re: Ibadan In Its Glory by bushwailo: 11:41pm On Dec 12, 2012
LOL ! The picture of Ibadan says a lot about the mentality of the inhabitants of the town.
Out of touch and stuck in the past.

In the middle of all that rubble i''m sure you will find a lot of beautifully crafted edifices dedicated to Awo.
Don't blame them, they are trying to hold unto 1960's Awo era grin grin grin grin
Re: Ibadan In Its Glory by ba7man(m): 12:11am On Dec 13, 2012
I read it that 75% of Ibadan consists of slums and i kinda belive it. I get angry when it's refered to as the Largest black city. We should stop deceiving ourselves.
Re: Ibadan In Its Glory by timifakay(m): 12:45am On Dec 13, 2012
Ibadan- largest city in sub-sahara West Africa, home of the premier university, capital of Oyo state, location of Cocoa house.
I dont know why people fail to realise that 'iroyin o to afojuba'- tell tale can never be like what you see/ experience and 'oro okere ti o lekan ma din kan'- a story can never be narrated exactly as it is.
@ba7man- you heard very wrong, how on earth will 75% of a state capital be slums?
@bushwailo- out of touch and stuck in the past of what? There is state of the art of everything available here in Ibadan, there is no reason to get stuck in the past through Awo because the man is not even a descendant of Ibadan, know your history and details before you log on a public forum and start imagining things.
@- wearing a modern look goes beyond changing of whats on the outside, you prioritise outlook over basic amenities such as good primary health care, sound education (formal and informal), power supply, portable water, good roads, mass transit... its when man has access to these and many more that he will comfortably make his part of the society what its meant to be.
@others.. saw a post about Rivers being the richest, happy for them, but where was Rivers before the discovery of crude oil? (just asking), they say Ibadan is the dirty town with rusty roofs blablabla... yes it is, also its a town with modest people, who stive for greatness in every little thing they do, a relatively peaceful town with high standard of living, rarely will you get mugged on the streets, its a place i have lived my life and travelled to other places within Nigeria, but nowhere can compare with my Ibadan.
All of you talking about the downsides of Ibadan please lets hear about the downsides of your city/ town/ village then we compare!
Re: Ibadan In Its Glory by WarriPikin1: 2:01am On Dec 13, 2012
[quote author=] Bump!
THis is like the yoruba version of the ENugu thread! more pics please! [/quote]

O'l boy you wan yab Ibadan? Which kain picture you wan see?
The best thing for Ibadan now is to explode an atomic bomb in the middle and flatten it.Then rebuild it from the scratch. grin

1 Like

Re: Ibadan In Its Glory by bushwailo: 2:09am On Dec 13, 2012
Warri _Pikin:

O'l boy you wan yab Ibadan? Which kain picture you wan see?
The best thing for Ibadan now is to explode an atomic bomb in the middle and flatten it.Then rebuild it from the scratch. grin
O boy you wicked o !
But people dey live there na ?
Re: Ibadan In Its Glory by bushwailo: 2:41am On Dec 13, 2012
There is a very long ongoing thread about Enugu the former capital of the Eastern region.
https://www.nairaland.com/979128/enugu-pride-east

I think this an clear avenue to start one for Ibadan capital of the legendary Awolowo's Western region.
So that we can compare
Re: Ibadan In Its Glory by WarriPikin1: 4:09am On Dec 13, 2012
bushwailo:
O boy you wicked o !
But people dey live there na ?

Bros,
Take am easy na, i no wan commit genocide o!
After we don relocate everybody, we go just flatten the place and rebuild in a good way
Re: Ibadan In Its Glory by kettykin: 5:00am On Dec 13, 2012

1. ban zinc roofing

I totally politely Disagree with this, the problem of Nigerian Cities is not 1. zinc roofing and 2 . unpainted properties
The major Problem of Cities like Ibadan is dirtiness and planlessness Awolowo was busy building Cocoa house , Uni Ibadan and WNTV but did nothing to plan the city unlike Kaduna and Enugu which were planned from the Beginning .

Often times the city of Ibadan has won the Dirtiest State Capital in Nigeria competing with Aba which is not even a state capital and the funny thing about this is that while Lagosians are putting the blame of the Problem of Lagos on igbos who are in Lagos in very large Numbers , Ibadan folks dont want to come to terms with the truth about their Delapidated city but keep dreaming that other Nigerian Cities are all the same , Folks who have been to Enugu , Owerri and calabar will disagree with that notion all Nigerian Cities are not same and can never be the same . some Cities are rapidly modernising while others are bein swallowed up by degredation and delapidation.
Re: Ibadan In Its Glory by MajeOfficial: 5:21am On Dec 13, 2012
That's the past. now is now. They're not going to begin planning nigerian cities that weren't planned.
All you can do is organize the unplanned portions and from here on work based on a plan. Major neighborhoods need to be torn down for sure and replaced with things that contribute to quality of life
and the residents relocated to new modern low income developments

but rusted roofs are a serious health hazard and this is why nigerians fall ill so often. Many drink water that comes from rain that comes from used roofs.
They wash their clothes in rust water, bath in it, etc and the end result remains rust is poisonous and destroys your heath.
plus it makes the city look ugly and if the city looks bad, people won't respect it. They're liter at will, and violate laws more.
Re: Ibadan In Its Glory by bushwailo: 10:50am On Dec 13, 2012
kettykin:

I totally politely Disagree with this, the problem of Nigerian Cities is not 1. zinc roofing and 2 . unpainted properties
The major Problem of Cities like Ibadan is dirtiness and planlessness Awolowo was busy building Cocoa house , Uni Ibadan and WNTV but did nothing to plan the city unlike Kaduna and Enugu which were planned from the Beginning .

Often times the city of Ibadan has won the Dirtiest State Capital in Nigeria competing with Aba which is not even a state capital and the funny thing about this is that while Lagosians are putting the blame of the Problem of Lagos on igbos who are in Lagos in very large Numbers , Ibadan folks dont want to come to terms with the truth about their Delapidated city but keep dreaming that other Nigerian Cities are all the same , Folks who have been to Enugu , Owerri and calabar will disagree with that notion all Nigerian Cities are not same and can never be the same . some Cities are rapidly modernising while others are bein swallowed up by degredation and delapidation.
I have always maintained that this whole Awolowo reputation is one of the biggest myths these daydreaming Awoist foists on Yorubas.
Plus Awo did not build UI undecided

Benin-City is another ancient city which is fast modernizing under Oshiomole's government.
Plus you are right, even though BC is an old city, it too had undergone massive rigorous planning under the government of the then Samuel Ogbemudia.
Re: Ibadan In Its Glory by LZAA: 7:58am On Sep 11, 2021
grin grin grin grin

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Nigeria; Where All Animals Are Never Equal. / Frozen Accounts: Fayose Knows Fate Dec 2 / Dave Umahi Approves N29 Million To Assist Benue And Taraba IDP

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 35
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.