Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,948 members, 7,814,217 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 09:13 AM

How Acceptable Is B.ed Degree In Labour Market - Career (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / How Acceptable Is B.ed Degree In Labour Market (16985 Views)

... Was Sacked For Not Dancing To 'shake Body'... Now An Employer Of Labour / Transport Staff Ask Buhari To Probe Dangote, Say He Is Underpaying For Labour / Does GPA Really Matter In The Labour Market? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How Acceptable Is B.ed Degree In Labour Market by JahMan1: 12:10pm On May 23, 2012
And what is wrong with B.ED?
You don't want to be called a teacher?
I feel sorry for our present generation.
I just checked how my coy arrived at my overtime and saw that they pay me a little below 5k per hour as salary.
In university days,I charge nothing less than 10k per hour to teach some group of students.
Which one is better?
Re: How Acceptable Is B.ed Degree In Labour Market by KOYAINT: 1:15pm On May 23, 2012
My best Advice for you ! Very Simple.

You have a baby now and Married. You are working for now and have HND. You do not have problem unless you want to create problem for yourself. All you need do is forget about HND/Bsc. issue and have focus. Today HND is still relevant, alway check advert on internet and Guardian of Tuesday.

Secondly, if you are not more than 30 Years, Lagos state is looking for Teachers to teach in Secondary schools in Lagos state you can apply and if you are given the employment you are to complete part-time programme for your PGD(Ed).

Accounting is a very fine course in Nigeria.

In the alternative, if you have enough money, you can register for ICAN Exams and be doing it on part-time to have your ACA.

Also, I need to tell you that you have arrived, don't give yourself any stress, a lot have Bsc., PGD, MBA, ANIM, among others but no better job, they still manage what they have waiting for their own time.

Continue to look for better job with what you have, meeting people and asking for help, pray as well and you will break through.

In case you need further help or advice, you may wish to email me for brotherly advice.

raphaelkoya@yahoo.co.uk.

Is a matter of time, you have done your part, leave the rest for God.

Best regards.
Koya-int.

1 Like

Re: How Acceptable Is B.ed Degree In Labour Market by KOYAINT: 1:21pm On May 23, 2012
You do not need BA(Ed) any more;

All you need are just;
PGD (Ed). & ACA.

With this 2 you can work any where be it Petroleum, Telecom, Banks, Insurance, Federal Minisry, State, LG, Schools among others.

Your Accounting HND is still valid.

Not all that have Bsc. Accounting are getting work. It is not easy in Nigeria now. and do not waste your money on unnecessary education that will frustrate you.

Best regards.

1 Like

Re: How Acceptable Is B.ed Degree In Labour Market by KOYAINT: 1:45pm On May 23, 2012
I read mathematics/computer science education [B.Sc(Ed)]. Is this truly a double honor? Do i stand the chance to work in the capacity that a BSc holder would work? Is University of Ibadan a fine place to do my Msc in Maths?

My advice is for you to finish you university first. Then anything you meet in the market place you take.

University of Ibadan is one of the Oldest university and well know and recognised worldwide most of you lecturers who are Professors now passed out from there, so is still very relevant and recognized.

Your course is an everlasting joy course. Mathematics / Computer Science Bsc. (Ed) is one of the best course in the world today. I will advice you to go for Msc. (Library Science ) after your graduation. And believe me if you happen to work in the library you can become a University Librarian or Professor.

You can be employed by the United Nations or Military or National Data Organization.

Best of luck, the sky is your limit.

In case you need advice from time to time.

Contact me on : raphaelkoya@yahoo.co.uk

Wishing you best of luck.

1 Like

Re: How Acceptable Is B.ed Degree In Labour Market by porka: 2:13pm On May 23, 2012
jisky: Hi nairalanders,i need your advice n sincere advice because i belief ds s only place i can gt d advice.I have HND in Accountancy from 1 of d best polytechnic in d country kadpoly in 2008,b4 my service period i secured a job wit a coy in kad state wt my OND Result.my job in kad st n service in southwest was not easy in 08/09.since then i ve been trying to use my HND result in my current place or any oda place bt it proves abortive because of B.sc n Hnd discriminatn syndrome.in my current job i got married wt a baby n have my personal car which i also thank God for it.bt my concern s ds I want to do my university degree n d only programme avallable are Bachelor of Education B.ed as 'per time' programme because of nature of my job i ll not b able to do full time.pls can I do,ao acceptable s B.ed in labour mkt apart frm teaching n i dont want it to b lyk Hnd at last n which course can i do dat can be combine wt my Hnd accountancy.am thinking of B.ed economics.pls i need ur advicem

1) Majority of the people responding to your post seem to be in Lagos or South West, going by their ''go for professional exams'' mentality, while your post suggests you might still be in Kaduna. The fact is outside Lagos or may be South West, your ACCA, ICAN or whatever is not worth much. Because companies and industries are situated in Lagos/South West, professional qualifications are still regarded somehow. It's just some papers in some civil service locations like Kaduna or Abuja.

2) HND plus PGD is not equal to B.Sc. in anyway. Note that PGD still carries Diploma. It is not for fun that they did not call it Post Graduate Degree. I know many people with HND plus Masters in 300L in reality. Some professional societies have stopped recognizing HND e.g. Nigeria Society of Engineers.

TO DO

3)B.Ed. is relevant in the academics, (at least) i.e. you may want to go further to earn a M.Ed and/or a PhD in Education if you so wish. At PhD level, things are sort of even. Majority of policies are drafted/authored by PhD holders in various fields, including education, you can Google Prof Ruqayatu Ahmed Rufai for instance.

4) You can go for National Open University of Nigeria, NOUN. Admission is almost guaranteed, they are having challenges in graduating students though. Things are being improved on every day. That is if time is your problem.

5) Or you can get another job in a less stressful company to allow you concentrate on your studies. Your HND can only take you to a certain level in your current job after then they'll employ a B.Sc. graduate to replace you.

6) You may want to place a moratorium on more babies till your dreams are fulfilled or finances improve to deal with 5 above.

7) The decision is yours but you should do something quickly as per your dreams, there would come a time that your risk appetite index will fall to ZERO, that is, you may be too scared to take path again. The fact on ground is that there are too many university graduate now that some employers have lost consciousness of something called HND. It's sad but that's the reality.

cool I wish you the best.
Re: How Acceptable Is B.ed Degree In Labour Market by goodson(m): 2:57pm On May 23, 2012
Bros where I work which a bank we accept B.ed
Re: How Acceptable Is B.ed Degree In Labour Market by Nobody: 11:01pm On May 23, 2012
KOYA-INT.:
You do not need BA(Ed) any more;

All you need are just;
PGD (Ed). & ACA.

With this 2 you can work any where be it Petroleum, Telecom, Banks, Insurance, Federal Minisry, State, LG, Schools among others.

Your Accounting HND is still valid.

Not all that have Bsc. Accounting are getting work. It is not easy in Nigeria now. and do not waste your money on unnecessary education that will frustrate you.

Best regards.

Good, but a little fault. Some - many, actually - oil companies, as a matter of policy, don't hire HND for Finance/Accounting role no matter the additional qualifications, inasmuch as the candidate doesn't have a Bsc. He may be hired on contract though. This is why a close friend with ACA, ACIT and rounding up ACCA but HND is still a contract staff despite his depth. I know many people like this too.

That said B.ED in accounting from a recognized schools(not the mushroom distance learning centres) can get you a job in top audit firms like PwC and co and banks, which don't usually look at course but 2.1 in any course for entry level. From there, you can move on, as your first degree will matter only little in experienced openings.

3 Likes

Re: How Acceptable Is B.ed Degree In Labour Market by Teezman: 3:04pm On Sep 03, 2013
Guys really need your help on this, i've just been offered admission into OAU to study education and economics (faculty of education) and at the same time offered economics (faculty of social science) which do you suggest i go for and is this ascersion of education and economics a double honour programme applicable and relevant in nigeria i.e B.Sc and B.Ed. Pls your response is highly needed

(1) (2) (Reply)

The Biggest Lies People Told Me About Entrepreneurship / How Do I Handle Such A Boss / South African Senior Military Officer Dismissed Over Social Media Comment

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 29
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.