Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,784 members, 7,820,746 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 08:40 PM

Rate Mikel Obi's Performance In The Champions League Final - European Football (EPL, UEFA, La Liga) (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / European Football (EPL, UEFA, La Liga) / Rate Mikel Obi's Performance In The Champions League Final (23242 Views)

Benfica Vs Chelsea: Europa League Final - (1 - 2) - On 15th May 2013 / Mikel Obi Told Robben He Would Miss The Penalty / Champions League Final Barcelona V Manchester United May 28th 2011 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Rate Mikel Obi's Performance In The Champions League Final by livapul86(m): 8:42pm On May 20, 2012
saintneo: another diversion.

who are we hiring next? YNWA!
That's a million dollar question. Frankly, at this moment its a merry go round of names. Personally, I wouldn't mind if we got Rafa back.

1 Like

Re: Rate Mikel Obi's Performance In The Champions League Final by cheikh: 9:09pm On May 20, 2012
timbros
But...David Luiz wrapped in Brazilian flag, Ivanovic wrapped in Serbian flag, Torres wrapped in Spanish flag, even Ferreira has a Portugese flag around his neck. Why Mikel no dey represent well nah?
iWonder

@^^ Represent where Naija? Go and ask those before him who did, what is their recognition/reward. Some here have already displayed their dislike/hate for him despite not knowing him on a personal level. Nigerians want glory but don't know how to praise or reward genuine achievers. Bad bele is our lot sad.
Re: Rate Mikel Obi's Performance In The Champions League Final by saintohia: 9:29pm On May 20, 2012
I'll give him man of the match. He performed excellently well.
Re: Rate Mikel Obi's Performance In The Champions League Final by Arogunmasa(m): 9:43pm On May 20, 2012
Chelsea 1st counter-attack was his move dt earN bayern their 1st mtn of the match
Re: Rate Mikel Obi's Performance In The Champions League Final by emorse(m): 9:45pm On May 20, 2012
mikel has just earned himself a new name... Engr. Obi!!!!!
Re: Rate Mikel Obi's Performance In The Champions League Final by Obere4u: 9:47pm On May 20, 2012
ujchief: I gues these replies are from chelsea fans.
How can u rate someone that was just an observer on the pitch as being excellent? Pls, feel free to check the match stats b4 hurling insults at me. Mikel and Lampard played the deep holding midfield role, while mata was free to roam. But Lampard made more passes, tackles and interceptions than mikel, who was just anonymous! Check his stats for a full 120mins! He just picks up loose balls, hardly making tackles, no runs, no shot at goal, just being too careful not to dirty his blue jersey! Lampard was the man on the midfield.
Feel free to violently insult me as i refuse to patronise my country-man. I'd give him a 4/10, not that he worth it though.
are u sure u really watched the match?
Mikel had so many work to do yesterday, He was shielding Luiz and Cahill both coming back from injuries, He (Mikel) will move up the pitch to break Bayernmunich attack. To me I rate him 9.5/10 (cos nobody is perfect)
let me ask u dis question.......
Mikel and Kross who played better than the other?
Re: Rate Mikel Obi's Performance In The Champions League Final by eprynce(m): 9:52pm On May 20, 2012
Obviously, Mikel has the heart to play on the big stage...he was really excellent throughout yesterday. 9/10 from me
Re: Rate Mikel Obi's Performance In The Champions League Final by benedicts(m): 9:56pm On May 20, 2012
I THINK HE DESERVES MAN OF THE MATCH AWAARD/
Re: Rate Mikel Obi's Performance In The Champions League Final by mediainspired: 10:00pm On May 20, 2012
I'v neva really bn his fan & i think he's ovahyped by Chelsea faithfuls (He chronically avoids responsibilty. Haba! Even goalkeepers score goals). But ystday im try small sha. Stil, in d Super Eagles, i rate victor moses, joel obi &kalu uche ahead of him in d midfield. I think Keshi shuld take dat reverred No 10 shirt from Mikel &giv it to any of d beta midfielders stated. GBAM!
Re: Rate Mikel Obi's Performance In The Champions League Final by ginas: 10:01pm On May 20, 2012
FANTASTIC, HE MADE US PROUD.
Re: Rate Mikel Obi's Performance In The Champions League Final by puremind(m): 10:16pm On May 20, 2012
improved workrate,keep it up....
Re: Rate Mikel Obi's Performance In The Champions League Final by udemzyudex(m): 10:22pm On May 20, 2012
Ekans: Mikels performance was average,the match was won by Drogba and Cech pure and simple.
bad belle
Re: Rate Mikel Obi's Performance In The Champions League Final by chievo: 10:30pm On May 20, 2012
yoji: So to burst ur bubble, but mikel was average for me. Whenever chelsea is playin a superior team and they intend to defend truout, mikel comes in handy cos he jus sits back and breaks play which is no big deal since that's wat d rest of the team are doing anyway. To me chelsea's best performers were cole, drogba and cech. Mikel is now d kind of player dat if he plays, fine and if he doesn't, he's rarely missed.
.......Gud talk ...u watchd d match
Re: Rate Mikel Obi's Performance In The Champions League Final by cheikh: 10:42pm On May 20, 2012
livapul86
I didn't want to comment but I think some of you guys need a thorough education on the roles of a professional player. You chatised Mikel's one touch pass game without understanding that Mikel is basically retaining possession. As long as the opponent doesn't have the ball, his team can build up play. To most of you denouncing Mikel, your idea of a good player is someone that can take the ball and dribble 10 players and score. You fail to understand that there is as much job if not greater, to a solid CDM who is responsible for breaking the attacking forays of his opponent, finding those little spaces to link with the rest of his team mates. The Stats don't lie, Mikel is credited with the most passes and interceptions than any other Chelsea player. I watched the Barca's match( 2nd leg) twice to believe the Stats I saw. Mikel made more blocks than any other Chelsea player in that match.
With regards to yesterday's match, he was Phenomenal. In all 120mins, he only made one wrong pass and that was because Ryan Betrand failed to run. Please lets learn to give credit when it is due. Am a proud Liverpoolfc fan, I can say Mikel has been at his best in the latter stages of this year's Champions league.

@^^ Gbam!+100.
You clearly understand the essence of football(science). It's because most Africans don't understand the full concept/science of modern football hence we never go far in world football as teams, despite producing some of the most "gifted/finest" individual footballers(dribblers) in the world as if that's what football is about. We'll continue to fail as "teams" on the world stage because of our "street style" football mentality of what a good/bad footballer is. Mikel was actually adjudged by the knowledgeable European pundits on tv, as one of the best on the day. Mourinho and Ferguson are not blind nor ignorant in football as to fight over Mikel's signature. Everyone was thinking that Essiene's gra gra style of football without brains is good footie, but that is not what a serious coach looks for in order to accomplish a task(cup finals) with appropriate personnel hence Mikel is constantly used nowadays just like during the time of Mourinho. They certainly know/see something in Mikel's abilities most Naija football novices will never appreciate let alone understand. He is pretty good and sticks to the task he's designated by his manager to do. That's modern football style not aimless silly fancy dribbling.

2 Likes

Re: Rate Mikel Obi's Performance In The Champions League Final by Werehkpe: 10:43pm On May 20, 2012
Weda una like am or not, If not that Drogba score 2 important goals n Cech saved an important penalty, Mikel's rating was higher than any defensive midfielder in the world (including Alonso, Essien, SWINEstagger, Gattuso etc). but u also have to give credit to Cole, Cahill and Luiz.

Honestly EVRY Chelsea player was above 7.0

MIND U i aint no chelsea fan
Re: Rate Mikel Obi's Performance In The Champions League Final by clip: 11:00pm On May 20, 2012
I do not like his style of football. But he did well. I give him 7/10
Re: Rate Mikel Obi's Performance In The Champions League Final by victorazy(m): 11:03pm On May 20, 2012
Nyash
Re: Rate Mikel Obi's Performance In The Champions League Final by Sirmikky1(m): 11:08pm On May 20, 2012
mukina2: He is the third Nigerian after Finidi George and Nwankwo Kanu to Win the Champions League.

How will you rate his performance in the match yesterday?

Fantabulous
Re: Rate Mikel Obi's Performance In The Champions League Final by Sirmikky1(m): 11:10pm On May 20, 2012
mukina2: He is the third Nigerian after Finidi George and Nwankwo Kanu to Win the Champions League.

How will you rate his performance in the match yesterday?

Re: Rate Mikel Obi's Performance In The Champions League Final by Obere4u: 11:11pm On May 20, 2012
How can u rate someone that was just an observer on the pitch as being excellent? Pls, feel free to check the match stats b4 hurling insults at me. Mikel and Lampard played the deep holding midfield role, while mata was free to roam. But Lampard made more passes, tackles and interceptions than mikel, who was just anonymous! Check his stats for a full 120mins! He just picks up loose balls, hardly making tackles, no runs, no shot at goal, just being too careful not to dirty his blue jersey! Lampard was the man on the midfield.
Feel free to violently insult me as i refuse to patronise my country-man. I'd give him a 4/10, not that he worth it though.
check dis out
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2147253/Chelsea-v-Bayern-Munich-Champions-League-ratings.html
Re: Rate Mikel Obi's Performance In The Champions League Final by ojeffo: 11:42pm On May 20, 2012
ceejay80s: od3! S33 ur lif3? Upon all th3 f9 w3y i g3t for ssc3, i stil g3t mon3y pass u, and u go 43v3r r3main for squar3 on3
Who is even dis iddioot called ceejay80s?Why do u keep writing trash here? Who ask u about money?¶ dnt even knw why d fuucckk u keep writing 3 in place of 'e'.As per ur hating on Mikel? Take d trophy he won and shove it up ur gaping g.a.y Ars.e!
Re: Rate Mikel Obi's Performance In The Champions League Final by Korrection(m): 11:44pm On May 20, 2012
maclatunji: 60%

Like say you sabi head ball...lol
Re: Rate Mikel Obi's Performance In The Champions League Final by Arnoldo(m): 11:48pm On May 20, 2012
did u watch dat ball at all ....u dnt babble sm kinds of balderdash...where did u get d statistics..mikel had d highest intercepts....if u tink mikel was useless in dat mieldfield tell me y english f.a rates him 90.17% in pass accuracy nd no2 wit best acuracy in chelsea dis season ahead of lamp nd mata....infact u ar a baboon didnt u see hw many dribbles mikel did nd hw many long pass he gav drogba...pls go rewatch dat match nd u will knw among top4 chelsea players in d final mikel wld be among
Re: Rate Mikel Obi's Performance In The Champions League Final by odumorun1: 1:43am On May 21, 2012
Seven years ago in the 2005 under 21 World cup Mikel Obi was voted 2nd best young player in the world after Lionel Messi in a tournament many felt he outplayed the brilliant Argentine. Fast forward 2012, Messi is talked about in the same breath as Pele, Maradona and Cruyff. Obi has not got a goal or even as assist for Chelsea.

The level of understanding on this board of what football is actually about, reflected in the absurd qts of how you rate a defensive midfielder in a game when his team had 10 men defending, shows everything that is wrong with our national game in an era dominated by Nigerian fans who grew up watching the premier league. Mikel Obi has contributed nothing to Nigerian football; he has won nothing for the country, done nothing for the national team so it is quite right as one poster did to compare him to Okocha.

Like Drogba and Essien who also contribute next to nothing to their countries he represents the dour new face of an African game that once produced giants of skill and technique like Abedi Pele, Roger Milla, Austin Okocha, Nwankwo Kanu, George Weah.

Mikel Obi, Drogba, Essien, big strong, physically powerful and functional players who can at times perform in well drilled dour and mechanical teams but who lack of real flair is exposed time and time again when they play in international tournaments where they are required to show a bit of initiative - they are found wanting

The colonisation of African football by the premier league has meant we now produce players, whose style is alien to our own culture and natural style for them, the same way we convert our land to growing cash crops for their factories while our own people go hungry because we can't produce enough subsistence crops. How many local talents playing under any flyover in Lagos do you see playing like Obi or Essien. Our climate favours a more languid more skilful and more intelligent style. But we are now being forced to grow players in an artificial style to suit the premier league. The result our worst national team in 40 years and the balance of power in Africa moving to the north and east from the former stronghold of the western coast. The last time a West African side won the nations cup was 10 years ago in 2002.

The reason is the main advantage we used to have over the North Africans - individual skill and unpredictability is now gone. You know what people like Mikel or Odemingwe are going to do before they do it. The English premier league with its fast frenetic pace beats out any real sign of individuality in our players destroying their natural instinct.

During our best years 1994 - 96 how many of our best players played in the technically inferior Premier league. Virtually none of them. When the likes of Okocha, Amuneke, Amokachis had the ball at their feet, such was their comfort on the ball, their skill that neither you nor the opponent knew what they were going to do next.

Now we all know what our best player - Mikel Obi will do when he gets the ball, he sneaks forward, just a bit makes a square pass to Lampard, or Ramires then runs back to the half way line like a good little boy. The opposing 18 yard box ?- say wetin happen ? wetin I wan find there That is the kind of weak spirit we want to lead us to the promised land

They tried to do the same to the great Samuel Eto in Madrid - But he had enough fire in his belly so he left to mallorca to prove himself than to Barca He spoke up for himself - Now he is recognised as one of the greats. 3 champion league trophies, in which he scored in 2 finals.
Re: Rate Mikel Obi's Performance In The Champions League Final by DaLover(m): 2:04am On May 21, 2012
wtf....it justunfortunate that chelsea won the match, but the whole team performance was a sham, a disgrace to world football....to come to this stage a play this kind of woefull soccer leaves so much to be desired....especially considering the amount of money spent on chelsea in the last few years, add to that their huge wages......as a tru and tru football fan, i hope and pray i never have to watch such a match again
wtf....it justunfortunate that chelsea won the match, but the whole team performance was a sham, a disgrace to world football....to come to this stage a play this kind of woefull soccer leaves so much to be desired....especially considering the amount of money spent on chelsea in the last few years, add to that their huge wages......as a tru and tru football fan, i hope and pray i never have to watch such a match again
Re: Rate Mikel Obi's Performance In The Champions League Final by joshdamie(m): 2:25am On May 21, 2012
Great performance mikel....it was excellent ....thank God it was just God that help play that match no doubt....Messi loose penalty..Roben ...loose aswell...I hope arsenal should pray for help tooo
Re: Rate Mikel Obi's Performance In The Champions League Final by ceejay80s(m): 4:49am On May 21, 2012
larpah: Dude, there is difference between "3" and "E". Were you in school at all?
NO!! i stopp3d @ kind3rgart3n stag3, billy goat
Re: Rate Mikel Obi's Performance In The Champions League Final by ceejay80s(m): 4:53am On May 21, 2012
airmark:

Ranting of a low-life. grin grin grin I don't need to do cyber financial contest with you. You can't get close. tongue
r3j3ct3d soul
Re: Rate Mikel Obi's Performance In The Champions League Final by ceejay80s(m): 5:02am On May 21, 2012
ojeffo:
Who is even dis iddioot called ceejay80s?Why do u keep writing trash here? Who ask u about money?¶ dnt even knw why d fuucckk u keep writing 3 in place of 'e'.As per ur hating on Mikel? Take d trophy he won and shove it up ur gaping g.a.y Ars.e!
countinu3 ranting,u go still di3 of pneumonia
Re: Rate Mikel Obi's Performance In The Champions League Final by melvournis(f): 7:12am On May 21, 2012
Re: Rate Mikel Obi's Performance In The Champions League Final by ssjalo(m): 7:18am On May 21, 2012
i'm a barca fans, but i really appreciated obi performances, the guy has done it well as expected.kudus to him.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Chelsea Vs Nottingham Forest: Carabao Cup (5 - 1) On 20th September 2017 / Dortmund Vs Arsenal - UCL: (0 - 1) On 6th November 2013 / Manchester United Vs Burnley: EFL Cup (2 - 0) On 21st Dec 2022

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 88
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.