Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,943 members, 7,956,560 topics. Date: Monday, 23 September 2024 at 02:01 PM

Nigerian Premier League: Why Don't People Watch It? - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Nigerian Premier League: Why Don't People Watch It? (14297 Views)

Volunteers For Nigerian Premier League (NPFL) Live Matches. (2012/2013 Season) / Salaries Of Nigerian Premier League Players. / Nigerian Premier League (NPL) Top Scorer (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nigerian Premier League: Why Don't People Watch It? by igbo2011(m): 11:58pm On May 20, 2012
A lot of people are always watching the EPL and/pr other European league. Why don't people watch the NPL?

If we were to watch the Nigerian Premier League this will make an industry and create jobs in Nigeria. This will develop the economy of Nigeria and boost the GDP. What are your reasons for not watching it? Let' start a movement and tart watching it and going to the games:
Re: Nigerian Premier League: Why Don't People Watch It? by honeric01(m): 3:13pm On May 23, 2012
The refs and the npl olodos
Re: Nigerian Premier League: Why Don't People Watch It? by Nobody: 3:19pm On May 23, 2012
[size=18pt]Yes i watch Nigeria League in my Street undecided[/size]
Re: Nigerian Premier League: Why Don't People Watch It? by Nobody: 3:22pm On May 23, 2012
I think there's something wrong with the branding - and it's just another facet of the messed up Nigerian society..

If the football pitches were good, I'd rather watch the NPL than watch some shitty teams like bolton, stoke etc. in the premiership... Nigerian footballers are skillful, and it would be fun to watch them week in, week out - if the DESERVING talents actually play in the league, not just some shitty players who know people in high places..

I used to love watching the Super Eagles (when they could actually play lol), but they're shit now as well because of corruption.. These agbayas (lol) almost gave me a heart attack during the last world cup lol. Since then, I gave up on them. cool

And the last olympic team had very good players showcasing the best of Nigeria.
Re: Nigerian Premier League: Why Don't People Watch It? by Murphy7h4: 3:23pm On May 23, 2012
It is amazing![img]http://www.50centloseweight.com[/img]
Re: Nigerian Premier League: Why Don't People Watch It? by Sagamite(m): 3:23pm On May 23, 2012
Because the tv production, the playing, the coaching, the officiating and the administration are all done up to the typical Naija standard: RUBBISH!

2 Likes

Re: Nigerian Premier League: Why Don't People Watch It? by Gsmxpert(m): 3:24pm On May 23, 2012
My team is kano pillars grin grin grin grin
Re: Nigerian Premier League: Why Don't People Watch It? by timpaker(m): 3:25pm On May 23, 2012
1. they don't show the replay and when they do, it's very difficult to understand what they're trying to show.
2. they don't have better image quality, (i think someone should introduce HD camera to them)
3. they don't know how to celebrate goal, (someone would score a goal and just frown as if he didn't just put the ball in the net, maybe balloeli is his mentor)
4. the refere are always beating up when a team loses (maybe some Chelsea fans were paid to do so)

the reason goes on and on....

6 Likes

Re: Nigerian Premier League: Why Don't People Watch It? by Nobody: 3:25pm On May 23, 2012
^^How can you say the playing? Are they no the same people playing for Nigeria?

Is the playing standard of teams like Wolverhampton, Bolton, Stoke etc. not subpar?
Re: Nigerian Premier League: Why Don't People Watch It? by dejiavu(m): 3:26pm On May 23, 2012
We/I can follow NPL if

Right people at the right place....NFF & NPL Officers are the right choice
Security ... Where I can take my family to and be comfortable
Home win at all cost
Infrastructures... Road, Transport, Good Pitch etc
Players Welfare
The rest are come lateer
Re: Nigerian Premier League: Why Don't People Watch It? by Nobody: 3:27pm On May 23, 2012
What teams are based in Lagos??

Is stationary stores still alive?? If they're still there, that's my team lol. grin
Re: Nigerian Premier League: Why Don't People Watch It? by Korrection(m): 3:27pm On May 23, 2012
The same question iv been asking for years..Noticed we dont have good cameras and commentators...only Mumuni Alao and Akinloye Oyebanji..they wacth the match from one side and speak from one side...something need to be done...NFF should be flooded with our past football heroes not someone in agbada who hasnt even trapped a football in his entire life
Re: Nigerian Premier League: Why Don't People Watch It? by slam7000(m): 3:29pm On May 23, 2012
Not as interesting as it used to be,most npl players are not very committed,i dont blame them though,imagine injuring ur leg and being treated with cold water sachet[pure water] by an unqualified physiotherapist.they are owed wages and sign on fees,exploited by their state governors,some players come to match venues wearing Arsenal,Chelsea ETC shirts..i do watch my daring team Enugu Rangers when im in town.last i was in coalcity i watched them beat gombe 3-0,the finished off jigawa stars 5-0....4th goal by their left full back was a delight...new super eagles whizkid ejike uzoenyi is a very good player,was man of the match in last eagles away match to rwanda,lots of people troop to the stadium to see him and one chikeluba ofoegbu....unfortunately,they have no website and it was difficult getting a souvenir to buy.....i think nigerian teams have a long way to go in management,marketing and publicity.

3 Likes

Re: Nigerian Premier League: Why Don't People Watch It? by slam7000(m): 3:43pm On May 23, 2012
Gsmxpert: My team is kano pillars grin grin grin grin

kano is one of the most difficult places to place for an away team.....its difficult to officiate or get a result there,not because the pillars cldnt be beaten but imagine an away team 1 nil up and 5mins to go...you,ll see fans pointing daggers at npl match commissioner and the match officials...pillars have a good team but nt like the days of ahmed musa and co.there was a match some yrs back btw enugu rangers and gombe,rangers were 1-0 up and the referee didnt blow the final whitsle till gombe equalised dubiously at about 90mins + more than 10mins injury time...even rangers players were begging the ref to give home team a penalty and spare them the wrath of the home supporters..
Re: Nigerian Premier League: Why Don't People Watch It? by RichDad1(m): 3:45pm On May 23, 2012
God forbid bad thing....perhaps if the coverage is improved wink wink wink wink wink
Re: Nigerian Premier League: Why Don't People Watch It? by 4reigningqueen: 3:46pm On May 23, 2012
1,a referee will sound his whistle for a freekick,within seconds he changes his mind and say its a panalty.
2,bad pitch
3,away win hardly ever occur that is if it does at all.
4,very ugly jerseys
5,lack security
Re: Nigerian Premier League: Why Don't People Watch It? by omenziate(m): 3:58pm On May 23, 2012
The same league where u hardly have away wins for fear of being ambushed by opposing fans or d same league where a team needed 8 goals to remain in d premier league on d last day and ended up winning 13- 0. Case was in court for sometime but ended up squashed. The whole rebranding starts wit d board and we d pple. But for now its European premier league. La liga, EPL, bundesliga et al
Re: Nigerian Premier League: Why Don't People Watch It? by Orikinla(m): 4:09pm On May 23, 2012
The local league needs re-branding to restore the fanfare and glamour of the golden era.
Re: Nigerian Premier League: Why Don't People Watch It? by Witi(m): 4:15pm On May 23, 2012
4reigningqueen: 1,a referee will sound his whistle for a freekick,within seconds he changes his mind and say its a panalty.
2,bad pitch
3,away win hardly ever occur that is if it does at all.
4,very ugly jerseys
5,lack security
In addition you will see referee dancing with the winning team right at the stadium after the match.
Re: Nigerian Premier League: Why Don't People Watch It? by mipemi(m): 4:52pm On May 23, 2012
How the hell will I watch a league where if u win away...ur in big shit...d home fans r gonna bury u
Re: Nigerian Premier League: Why Don't People Watch It? by Showab: 4:55pm On May 23, 2012
When a penalty is awarded, the team that concedes it will waste between 5 to 10 mins (all the players and goal keeper will walk out of the pitch to the sideline and deliberate with their technical team) before they allow the kick to be taken.
Re: Nigerian Premier League: Why Don't People Watch It? by Showab: 4:57pm On May 23, 2012
When a penalty is awarded, the team that concedes it will waste between 5 to 10 mins (all the players and goal keeper will walk out of the pitch to the sideline and deliberate with their technical team) before they allow the kick to be taken.
Re: Nigerian Premier League: Why Don't People Watch It? by honeric01(m): 5:11pm On May 23, 2012
Gsmxpert: My team is kano pillars grin grin grin grin

I love that team with passion
Re: Nigerian Premier League: Why Don't People Watch It? by Afam4eva(m): 5:20pm On May 23, 2012
Branding! Branding! Branding!

That's the problem with the Nigerian league. We need to package our league and it will be able to compete with the best leagues out there and people will be interested in watching the matches.[size=16pt] Enugu Rangers for life![/size]

2 Likes

Re: Nigerian Premier League: Why Don't People Watch It? by cjotech: 5:21pm On May 23, 2012
@op now u see y we dont watch naija leagues.
wot biz does govt has in running npl teams. y dont de package d team and sell it off to private individuals or investors.

a whole lot of Things re wrong in naija not just d npl
Re: Nigerian Premier League: Why Don't People Watch It? by Nightshift(m): 5:30pm On May 23, 2012
The good-old Nigerian league is a shadow of its self. Good football and well managed clubs declined in the country over the last 20years.
I still cherish the memory of travelling from Aba to Enugu watching Rangers International play against Iwuanyanwu Nationale of Owerri at Nnamdi Azikiwe stadium.Then later Udorji United of Awka against the flying antelopes. New Nigeria Bank of Benin-City with the likes of Stephen Keshi, Henry Nwosu, Bright (10,10) Omokaro, Sunday Eboigbe, Samson Ozogula etc, were a delight to watch and they attracted tens of thousands of spectators to stadiums plus millions on TV.
Homeboys Rangers Intern. had also some of the best players in the league. With Captain Ikechukwu Oforje, Jude Agada, Charles Okonkwo, Okwuchukwu Obiora, Kingsley Oye, Totti Totti, Mike Emenalor, Patrick Okala, Davinson Owumi, Christain Ogbodo etc, they hardly loose a home match. The then IICC Shooting Stars were also good with such players like Yisa Shofoluwe, Wole Odegbami( later Abiola Babes), Mutiu Adepoju, Ademola Adeshina, Jide Oguntuase, Kehinde Keshinro, and many whom i can't remember now.
When i remember those teams and players that worked hard making their respective teams and Nigerian fans proud i wonder where we went wrong.Untill we rediscover our football, we shall continue to be colonized football-wise by EPL.
Re: Nigerian Premier League: Why Don't People Watch It? by hismail1(m): 5:56pm On May 23, 2012
The state of the stadias are bad and doesn't allow free flow football
Re: Nigerian Premier League: Why Don't People Watch It? by Oluwadare: 6:11pm On May 23, 2012
Because i don't solil that my safety is secured enough and i can't risk it with any careless decision
Re: Nigerian Premier League: Why Don't People Watch It? by tchaik(m): 6:19pm On May 23, 2012
slam7000: Not as interesting as it used to be,most npl players are not very committed,i dont blame them though,imagine injuring ur leg and being treated with cold water sachet[pure water] by an unqualified physiotherapist.they are owed wages and sign on fees,exploited by their state governors,some players come to match venues wearing Arsenal,Chelsea ETC shirts..i do watch my daring team Enugu Rangers when im in town.last i was in coalcity i watched them beat gombe 3-0,the finished off jigawa stars 5-0....4th goal by their left full back was a delight...new super eagles whizkid ejike uzoenyi is a very good player,was man of the match in last eagles away match to rwanda,lots of people troop to the stadium to see him and one chikeluba ofoegbu....unfortunately,they have no website and it was difficult getting a souvenir to buy.....i think nigerian teams have a long way to go in management,marketing and publicity.
slam7000:

kano is one of the most difficult places to place for an away team.....its difficult to officiate or get a result there,not because the pillars cldnt be beaten but imagine an away team 1 nil up and 5mins to go...you,ll see fans pointing daggers at npl match commissioner and the match officials...pillars have a good team but nt like the days of ahmed musa and co.there was a match some yrs back btw enugu rangers and gombe,rangers were 1-0 up and the referee didnt blow the final whitsle till gombe equalised dubiously at about 90mins + more than 10mins injury time...even rangers players were begging the ref to give home team a penalty and spare them the wrath of the home supporters..

The first time(unfortunately, my Last), I went to watch a live match was some months ago; Enyimba vs. Heartland. The match was played @ the Enugu stadium, and I was so stupid to go. I must confess, the display was awesome! Enyimba came back from 2 goals down to win 3-2; and that, my brothers, caused the nightmare!
Immediately the Ref.blew the final whistle, omo see angry heartland fans/supporters with cudgels, sticks,iron etc invade the pitch! Both the officials, players/fans took to their heels! Although mobile policemen were there, they culdnt do anything! The mob was too much! I just sat tight, watching! They beat the ref and one linesman, even some players were harassed.
After the ordeal, I promised my God that I will not be too careless with my life again. Its an experience I will not like to encounter again.
I am not afraid of death, but I definitely care about what I am dying for!
Tufiakwa!!
Re: Nigerian Premier League: Why Don't People Watch It? by Nobody: 6:23pm On May 23, 2012
Witi:
In addition you will see referee dancing with the winning team right at the stadium after the match.

Lwkmd
Re: Nigerian Premier League: Why Don't People Watch It? by Icon4s(m): 6:25pm On May 23, 2012
Most of u guys are just saying trash.I'm sure most of u have nt watched a single NPL game these last 2 years. Thank God d EPL season is over. Our clubs now play on lush green pitches (natural or synthetic), Teams record away pts, refs are even hardly molested. The only thing lacking is branding & publicity. I watch the EPL( Arsenal fan) no doubt but I also watch the NPL. I'l rather watch Kano Pillars vs Enyimba or Dolphins vs 3SC than a Bolton vs Stoke or Wolves vs Aston Villa game. PLS THE EPL IS OVER NOW OVER LETS WATCH THE NPL. Enyimba Fc (double African champs) all the way!!

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

The Predictors Gang On Rythm 93.7fm / Draw Or Any Clean Sheet / Yakubu Joins Reading, Ideye To Qatar

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 48
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.