Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,078 members, 7,835,638 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 12:49 PM

Preparing for GRE - Education (15) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Preparing for GRE (97186 Views)

University Of Benin Students Preparing For Exam(pictures) / Studying Abroad Made Easy Register For Gre, Sat, Toefl, Gmat / Can I Register For Gre Online As A Nigerian (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (12) (13) (14) (15) (16) (17) (18) ... (44) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Preparing for GRE by 4Play(m): 9:15pm On Feb 19, 2010
American embassy don't take IQ tests before they let you into their country.
Just to add, the embassy screens for education and income(a proxy for IQ) before letting you in.
Re: Preparing for GRE by biina: 11:55pm On Feb 19, 2010
4 Play:

The fact is that a disproportionate part of the migrant population is drawn from the most educated and successful demographic of the country the migrants are vacating from. To the extent that these factors are linked to higher IQ, the migrants would have, on average, higher IQ than their home communities.

The average African immigrant does not represent his home community. Is the average Nigerian a graduate? 

That's anecdotal and it doesn't have much value. The fact is that Ivy League institutions have an over-representation of Indians/Chinese. If ability did not differ amongst races, unless we are talking of a clear case of racism, each race would more or less be equally represented.
That there are more asians or people of asian descent in Ivy league institutions is due to several factors which include:
1. Asians are about 60% of the world population and thus even if picked at random, you would expect them to constitute more than half of the student body.
2. Government and private institutions (like samsung) from those regions provide strong financial support for their graduate students; directly through fellowships and scholarships, and indirectly by giving financial supports to professors with strong asian content in their research groups.
3. While sad, there is a racial under current in graduate admissions, with most professors having a bias in admitting one of their own. This has resulted in existing majority populations growing bigger, hereby dominating the PhD products and thus in turn by feedback increasing their presence at the faculty level. Essentially an avalanche effect.
4. The asian communities are making conscious efforts to increase the dominance, with most female asian students (particularly in science and engineering) heading into academia to further increase their presence at the faculty level.
5. My people perish for lack of knowledge. The asians provide communal support for prospective students and existing ones, which help them to sustain the required level of academic excellence. While blacks, already handicapped by being in the minority, do not work together nor share information well enough to help each other. The problem being that everyone feels they have enough troubles of their own and cannot afford the time or resources to help another (particular when there is no direct relationship involved). We suffer from the syndrome so aptly described in aeosops's fable of The Mice in council and their problem of  'who will bell the cat'
Re: Preparing for GRE by 4Play(m): 1:03am On Feb 20, 2010
biina:

That there are more asians or people of asian descent in Ivy league institutions is due to several factors which include:
1. Asians are about 60% of the world population and thus even if picked at random, you would expect them to constitute more than half of the student body.

Your premise is clearly false. Your presumption is that the proportion of applicants to Ivy League institutions who are Asians reflects the proportion of humans who are Asians. If we go by the same logic, at least 10% of Ivy League students should be Black Africans as Black Africans constitute at least 10% of the world's population. We can use this for every racial/religious/ethnic grouping on the planet.

. Government and private institutions (like samsung) from those regions provide strong financial support for their graduate students; directly through fellowships and scholarships, and indirectly by giving financial supports to professors with strong asian content in their research groups.

Enough financial support to explain Asian over-achievement? There is no evidence that Indians/Chinese students receive any more financial aid than others.

A salient point is missed by you. Asian over-achievement applies just as well to Asian Americans and, here in the UK, British Asians. Fact is these people do not receive funding from Asians Govts or Asian companies but they significantly overachieve. How can you explain away over-achievement by Western nationals of Asian origin at even high school level to funding(which they don't receive) from Asian Govts/companies?

3. While sad, there is a racial under current in graduate admissions, with most professors having a bias in admitting one of their own. This has resulted in existing majority populations growing bigger, hereby dominating the PhD products and thus in turn by feedback increasing their presence at the faculty level. Essentially an avalanche effect.

The Ivy League institutions started as white dominated centres. Surely, if it was a case of racism, Asians won't gain any such foothold in these institutions? By your logic, the whites would have kept out the Asians as whites, not Asians, are the majority population.

4. The asian communities are making conscious efforts to increase the dominance, with most female asian students (particularly in science and engineering) heading into academia to further increase their presence at the faculty level.

That's an absurd point. Of course, intellectually gifted people will make conscious efforts to continue to dominate.
My people perish for lack of knowledge. The asians provide communal support for prospective students and existing ones, which help them to sustain the required level of academic excellence. While blacks, already handicapped by being in the minority, do not work together nor share information well enough to help each other.

Pretty much as your 4th point.

Last time I checked, in the UK and the US, blacks outnumber Asians. British Asians and American Asians, both of who are outnumbered by blacks in their respective countries, far outperform blacks. Seriously, who is the minority?
Re: Preparing for GRE by 4Play(m): 1:16am On Feb 20, 2010
GCSE performance

In 2004 Chinese pupils were the most likely to achieve five or more GCSE grades A*-C in England, with 79 per cent of Chinese girls and 70 per cent of Chinese boys respectively. Indian pupils had the next highest achievement levels: 72 per cent of Indian girls and 62 per cent of Indian boys achieved these levels.

The lowest levels of GCSE attainment were among Black Caribbean pupils, particularly boys. Only 27 per cent of Black Caribbean boys and 44 per cent of Black Caribbean girls achieved five or more A*-C grade GCSEs. Pupils from the Black African, Other Black and Mixed White and Black Caribbean groups had the next lowest levels of attainment.

These are stats for British Asians of Chinese/Indian origin. Many British Indians migrated from Kenya/Uganda. GCSE is a high school exam. Notice how they significantly outperform whites.

Re: Preparing for GRE by SEFAGO(m): 1:35am On Feb 20, 2010
From the GCSE stats, Girls consistently outperform men- so are women smarter than men?  grin

Or did you conveniently  forget to consider a socioeconomic analysis of these statistics?

Also from previous Jamb statistics and performances at the secondary and university level in Nigeria you are confidently say that the people in Southern Nigeria are smarter than a large majority of people in the North due to genetic or inherent intellectual differences  grin. As absurd as that sounds, I am sure you would find sympathizers in the politics section of NL.
Re: Preparing for GRE by SEFAGO(m): 1:59am On Feb 20, 2010
The average African immigrant does not represent his home community. Is the average Nigerian a graduate?

This has nothing to do with IQ but opportunity. Living in Lagos, I have come across thousands of people who have dropped out of school for financial reasons. They would love to go to school and if given the opportunity would excel extremely well. You could say the same for India too though but less so for China.
Re: Preparing for GRE by 4Play(m): 2:45am On Feb 20, 2010
SEFAGO:

From the GCSE stats, Girls consistently outperform men- so are women smarter than men?  grin Or did you conveniently forget to consider a socioeconomic analysis of these statistics?

That's a silly comparison. IQ tests show no difference between the genders and the difference in GCSE performance, which I assume applies in US as well, is a function of girls maturing faster than boys. However, for the purpose of this thread, the results show an undeniable trend - Chinese and Indian kids outperforming whites and other races.

Do you have any enlightening insight to explain this clear case of over-achievement? I'm all ears.

Also from previous Jamb statistics and performances at the secondary and university level in Nigeria you are confidently say that the people in Southern Nigeria are smarter than a large majority of people in the North due to genetic or inherent intellectual differences . As absurd as that sounds, I am sure you would find sympathizers in the politics section of NL.

Another stupid analogy. If the country had universal education, there will be no noteworthy difference between Southern and Northern educational achievements.

In the UK, blacks and Asians have universal education. However, these Asians still outperform their black counterparts. This is far cry from Nigeria where disproportionate numbers of Northern Nigerians do not attend schools in the first place, rendering pointless any comparison by region of JAMB stats.

This has nothing to do with IQ but opportunity. Living in Lagos, I have come across thousands of people who have dropped out of school for financial reasons. They would love to go to school and if given the opportunity would excel extremely well. You could say the same for India too though but less so for China.

That's besides the point. The average Nigerian migrant is not representative of the average Nigerian back home. That there are bright people who lacked the opportunity to make much of their talents does not alter this relevant point.
Re: Preparing for GRE by SEFAGO(m): 3:21am On Feb 20, 2010
That's a silly comparison. IQ tests show no difference between the genders and the difference in GCSE performance, which I assume applies in US as well, is a function of girls maturing faster than boys. However, for the purpose of this thread, the results show an undeniable trend - Chinese and Indian kids outperforming whites and other races.

Do you have any enlightening insight to explain this clear case of over-achievement? I'm all ears.

Not really, I use classical logic to prove points which is quite hard to understand if you have never taken philosophy. But basically I was pointing out to the fact you presenting and interpreting GCSE statistics as evidence for Asian achievement is incorrect. Funny that you presented the data while unwilling to accept an interpretation.

http://web.archive.org/web/20080130023006/http://www.president.harvard.edu/speeches/2005/nber.html

Lawrence summers was fired for claiming gender differences in the severe lack of women professors in Engineering and Science. A recent study by the Wall Street Journal showed significant variance between the quantitative abilities of men and women. There is still significant debate on whether this is as a result of socialization and a gender-biased patriarchal system.

I would point out to socioeconomic factors as well as self-perception as a result of low black achievement. The major reasons why African immigrants do well is that they have been socialized to do well. Moreover our educational system has significantly giving us an edge that we never notice which is way better than the poor public schools the majority of black kids go to in the US. Magnet high schools and schools in wealthy suburbs in the US are predominantly White and these schools have the best teachers and best guidance counselors. Asians when they move to the US, send their kids to this school and this gives them the same edge.

There are so many factors sigh.

So how do you explain the over representation of second generation Nigerians and other Africans in science and engineering compared to other black people (native blacks in the US or UK).

That's besides the point. The average Nigerian migrant is not representative of the average Nigerian back home. That there are bright people who lacked the opportunity to make much of their talents does not alter this relevant point.

LOL, I dont understand you man. You said is the average Nigerian a graduate and I pointed out that being a graduate in Nigeria and IQ levels are mutually exclusive. The average Nigerian migrant is not smarter than the average Nigerian at home. Just more driven to look for a better place to work at. Is there any evidence to show that an average African immigrant is more intellectually capable than his counterparts in Nigeria? Remember Nigeria is not like China and India where education is a priority in the Government. Like if a significant part of the Nigerian populace or the African populace is denied access to education, how do you expect to get good statistics on IQ levels and such. How can the son of a vulcanizer in west Africa do well in an IQ test compared to an Indian born in the slums of Mumbai but who has the opportunity to be exposed to the growing software industry around him and so is able to experience an environment that despite his poor surroundings give him the arsenal to succeed in IQ tests.

In the UK, blacks and Asians have universal education. However, these Asians still outperform their black counterparts. This is far cry from Nigeria where disproportionate numbers of Northern Nigerians do not attend schools in the first place, rendering pointless any comparison by region of JAMB stats.

My analogy was based on your basic reading of the stats without any analysis. The UK might have Universal education but is the quality the same throughout? Not from what I have heard. I am sure schools with significant black population will be significantly less funded than those in white majority areas.
Re: Preparing for GRE by 4Play(m): 3:56am On Feb 20, 2010
Not really, I use classical logic to prove points which is quite hard to understand if you have never taken philosophy. But basically I was pointing out to the fact you presenting and interpreting GCSE statistics as evidence for Asian achievement is incorrect. Funny that you presented the data while unwilling to accept an interpretation.

More like classical illogic. Asian migrants are smarter and their educational performance serves as evidence of this. The alternative, evidence that their African counterparts are equally as smart, is sadly lacking on this thread apart from a lot of hot air.

The GCSE results are not IQ tests but merely serve as evidence of my larger point. The difference between gender is highly understandable. IQ tests do not show difference in gender as the average man's IQ matches the average woman's IQ. The difference in certain aspects of mental ability, like the link you copied and pasted, does not prove much about gender IQ unless you want to make the absurd claim that quantitative ability is all there is to IQ.

I would point out to socioeconomic factors as well as self-perception as a result of low black achievement. The major reasons why African immigrants do well is that they have been socialized to do well. Moreover our educational system has significantly giving us an edge that we never notice which is way better than the poor public schools the majority of black kids go to in the US. Magnet high schools and schools in wealthy suburbs in the US are predominantly White and these schools have the best teachers and best guidance counselors. Asians when they move to the US, send their kids to this school and this gives them the same edge. There are so many factors sigh.

Any time I ask for something empirical, you cling on to your conjecture which, with all due respect, I have little regard for. I would love solid evidence of Africans matching Asian intellectual ability which, but for all your wonderful conjecture, would have blossomed. I guess we have to tell ourselves these stories to soothe our ego.

African immigrants do well because they are often drawn from the most educated demographic of the African society in the first place. It's not the average Nigerian(non-graduate and barely literate) who gets handed a visa by the US embassy and migrates to the US. It's a pre-selected demographic who do not constitute a fair representation of the average Nigerian. Indeed, it's for that very reason that US will let them in in the first place. This is the answer to this:
So how do you explain the over representation of second generation Nigerians and other Africans in science and engineering compared to other black people (native blacks in the US or UK).

LOL, I dont understand you man. You said is the average Nigerian a graduate and I pointed out that being a graduate in Nigeria and IQ levels are mutually exclusive. The average Nigerian migrant is not smarter than the average Nigerian at home. Just more driven to look for a better place to work at. Is there any evidence to show that an average African immigrant is more intellectually capable than his counterparts in Nigeria? Remember Nigeria is not like China and India where education is a priority in the Government. Like if a significant part of the Nigerian populace or the African populace is denied access to education, how do you expect to get good statistics on IQ levels and such. How can the son of a vulcanizer in west Africa do well in an IQ test compared to an Indian born in the slums of Mumbai but who has the opportunity to be exposed to the growing software industry around him and so is able to experience an environment that despite his poor surroundings give him the arsenal to succeed in IQ tests.

My point is easy to understand. It's very hard to fathom how you can suggest that the intellectual ability of the average Nigerian migrant is the same as that of the average Nigerian back home. Same goes for migrants generally vis-a-vis their home community. You can hypothesise till eternity but the reality is that a well educated person will have greater intellectual ability than an illiterate.

Back in India, many Indians are illiterate. Indian migrants, just like their Naija counterparts, are drawn from the highly educated demographic and are not representative of the average Indian. Where there is a difference is the relative performance of the average Indian migrant compared to the average Nigerian migrant.

My analogy was based on your basic reading of the stats without any analysis. The UK might have Universal education but is the quality the same throughout? Not from what I have heard. I am sure schools with significant black population will be significantly less funded than those in white majority areas.

Another voodoo social analysis. Are Chinese/Indians white people who got allocated houses in white majority neighbourhoods and got to go to white schools? These people started from the bottom like many Nigerian migrants by moving into deprived neighbourhoods before working their way up.

Even if you want to explain away their better performance compared to us, you are still unable to explain why they resoundingly trounce whites in their own country. I'm sure in the states, Asian kids outperform white kids.
Re: Preparing for GRE by biina: 7:14am On Feb 20, 2010
4 Play:

Your premise is clearly false. Your presumption is that the proportion of applicants to Ivy League institutions who are Asians reflects the proportion of humans who are Asians. If we go by the same logic, at least 10% of Ivy League students should be Black Africans as Black Africans constitute at least 10% of the world's population. We can use  this for every racial/religious/ethnic grouping on the planet.
It seems you failed to follow the logic. what you refer to as the presumption was the conclusion. the premise was that if students in Ivy league were selected at random from the general population.

Enough financial support to explain Asian over-achievement? There is no evidence that Indians/Chinese students receive any more financial aid than others.

A salient point is missed by you. Asian over-achievement applies just as well to Asian Americans and, here in the UK, British Asians. Fact is these people do not receive funding from Asians Govts or Asian companies but they significantly overachieve. How can you explain away over-achievement by Western nationals of Asian origin at even high school level to funding(which they don't receive) from Asian Govts/companies?
The topic was on their population and not their performance. If you want evidence you can go and ask at an Ivy league institution. For example, pick a professor that is endowed by an asian company and then look at the composition of the research group. Check with financial officers and look for distribution of external financial aid. External funding for Nigerians are usually limited to Petroleum and Geo-sciences.

The Ivy League institutions started as white dominated centres. Surely, if it was a case of racism, Asians won't gain any such foothold in these institutions? By your logic, the whites would have kept out the Asians as whites, not Asians, are the majority population.
At no point did I say things have always been like this nor did I say that race is the only admission criterion. A sit in on an admission committee would provide the evidence that you need that professors of foreign birth often advocate for students from their region.

That's an absurd point. Of course, intellectually gifted people will make conscious efforts to continue to dominate.
That it is logical does not make it absurd. The point was that asian phd student are willing to take a lesser income to improve their collective position in academia and that this action has the desired effect. You can either dispute that they make the choice, or that it has the said effect, otherwise concede the point.

Pretty much as your 4th point.
Performance of current students go a long way towards evaluation of prospective ones. In a top program like MIT or Stanford etc, the support infrastructure goes a long way in settling down and doing well. A bad start in a graduate program can set you back so much that you never recover, and your poor performance will further limit the chance of prospective students from your region as the faculty would feel that you couldn't cope because your background and/or innate ability wasn't good enough.

Last time I checked, in the UK and the US, blacks outnumber Asians. British Asians and American Asians, both of who are outnumbered by blacks in their respective countries, far outperform blacks. Seriously, who is the minority?
I am not familiar with the situation in the Uk and never made an example of it, and so do not see the relevance. Graduate admissions in top schools select from a broader international student body, and application statistics are closer to global (and not local) population distributions.

Were/are you enrolled in an Ivy league program? cos it would be pointless to debate with someone who doesn't have a relevant perspective.

Note: My reference to ivy league, is less of the old ivy league schools, but more a reference to top 5-10 programs in a field irrespective of school. Example, in engineering it would mean MIT, Stanford, Berkeley, UIUC, Caltech etc
Re: Preparing for GRE by SEFAGO(m): 7:52am On Feb 20, 2010
^ LOL, then you should just use the word Top engineering school. Ivy league is important because its distinctive- it gives you a group of schools which train elite of America. Moreover the Ivy Leagues are notorious for being terrible in engineering- because to be sincere they were never really interested in developing their programs. However, with Ivies pouring a lot of money into their engineering programs, scared that they will lose their world rankings which are based on research, I can bet the top 25 schools in engineering would look different in 20 years.

I rarely see the elites of society come from Berkeley, Uiuc or caltech. Moroever the ivy league is an undergraduate phenomena IMO.

At the Undergraduate level, asians are way more represented in Berkeley, UIUC or Caltech than Ivies who try and balance their student body. I heard there are lots of nigerians at berkeley though- met these white berkeley kids at a party and they were singing a Dbanj song- Booty call, that there Nigerian friends taught them. However at the graduate level in science and engineering black people are nonexistent and the large majority are Nigerians- case in point we rock 4play. As for Caltech there is a total of 10 black people in their undergraduate program hehe when I was applying to college. It might have increased. I heard of this nigerian boy who got in, I wonder how the guy is doing though.

As for me all this one na story. I am going back home to nigeria, broad even if it is Ghana  tongue
Re: Preparing for GRE by SEFAGO(m): 8:00am On Feb 20, 2010
The topic was on their population and not their performance. If you want evidence you can go and ask at an Ivy league institution. For example, pick a professor that is endowed by an asian company and then look at the composition of the research group. Check with financial officers and look for distribution of external financial aid. External funding for Nigerians are usually limited to Petroleum and Geo-sciences.

Biina is 100% on point with this, and when I say 100% on point you cannot find a single counterexample. I would assume biina is speaking from an engineering perspective but its an all round phenomena. There are special financial aid programs specifically for Asians. While its hard for a Nigerian to get funding or bursaries to school in the UK there are a lot of bursaries established for international Asian students.

At the graduate level, lots of grants are also available for asian students. They even get an edge in the market- two of the top largest sponsors of the H1-B visa to work in the US is Tata Consultancy and Satyam, both indian companies. So approximately 5000 indians are ensured work visas in the US, and you think the field is fair. iWho do they hire- fellow Indians grin.

http://www.informationweek.com/news/global-cio/showArticle.jhtml?articleID=199601616&pgno=2&queryText=&isPrev=
Re: Preparing for GRE by biina: 8:49am On Feb 20, 2010
No mind me jare. My abuse of Ivy seem to have stemmed from continuous discourse with Nigerians who assume stanford and MIT are ivy league schools. Also I always have issue with saying 'top schools' without specifying a number e.g top 5 schools.

The true ivy league schools are Brown, Columbia, Cornell, Darthmouth, Harvard, Princeton, Upenn and Yale. I really dont like any of them (have a baseless feeling that they try to entrench a caste system grin).
I too doubt that Asians are as popular in these schools when compared with the caltechs and Berkeley.
Re: Preparing for GRE by H2O2: 9:06am On Feb 20, 2010
Stanford by definition is not an ivy due in large part to region since the Ivy League was established as an athletic program anyway, but Stanford is just as prestigious and reputable as the ivy leagues as far as academics are concerned.

Depending on the field of study, I would be under the impression that aside from the Harvard, Yale, Princeton . . . Stanford's more difficult to get into than the UPenn's or Dartmouths'
Re: Preparing for GRE by H2O2: 9:10am On Feb 20, 2010
And of course as far as engineering is concerned you really cannot go wrong with the MITs , Caltech, Berkeley.
Re: Preparing for GRE by SEFAGO(m): 10:04am On Feb 20, 2010
biina:

No mind me jare. My abuse of Ivy seem to have stemmed from continuous discourse with Nigerians who assume stanford and MIT are ivy league schools. Also I always have issue with saying 'top schools' without specifying a number e.g top 5 schools.

The true ivy league schools are Brown, Columbia, Cornell, Darthmouth, Harvard, Princeton, Upenn and  Yale. I really dont like any of them (have a baseless feeling that they try to entrench a caste system  grin).
I too doubt that Asians are as popular in these schools when compared with the caltechs and Berkeley.

yeah its not just you though. In the UK people always think Stanford is an Ivy. The problem with using the word top school is that rankings rarely come into play as much as perception. Trust me an engineering degree from Dartmouth would have a leg up in the most prestigious jobs than an engineering Georgia tech. So top school in my own opinion is relative. I do consider certain schools excellent and its a long list. However, I distinguish schools based on how hard it is to get into and the quality of their undergraduate students- graduate programs are difficult since quality varies depending on the program.

Asians are actually popular in Ivies just not as much as Berkeley (Supossedly 40%+ Asian, despite attempts by white people to reduce asian numbers). Nigerians are equally represented as asians in ivies/mit/stanford relative to their population in the US.

H2O2:

Stanford by definition is not an ivy due in large part to region since the Ivy League was established as an athletic program anyway, but Stanford is just as prestigious and reputable as the ivy leagues as far as academics are concerned.

Depending on the field of study, I would be under the impression that aside from the Harvard, Yale, Princeton . . . Stanford's more difficult to get into than the UPenn's or Dartmouths'

Stanford blows the IVIES out of the water in science and technology. Infact it blows nearly every school in my own opinion except Berkeley. Infact if I had know this I would have worked hard while I was in secondary school in Nigeria so that i could reach it. IMO these are the three best Universities in the world for graduate studies in science and technology- Berkeley, MIT and Stanford. Infact, in the next 20 years, I predict major research institutions like UWisconsin-Madison, JHU, UIUC, UChicago, Cornell (supposedly the lowest Ivy after Brown) and the previously named schools would have the established position as the top graduate science and engineering schools.

i dont really care about the social sciences, pele grin

I wish I had known these and not attend a substandard University in the US grin. However Asians right from secondary school are preparing for the SAT and GRE, most of us poor people from public secondary schools dont even know where America was on the map.
Re: Preparing for GRE by SEFAGO(m): 10:16am On Feb 20, 2010
By the way, I would be making a thread on this in the racism section, so that we can free up space to allow people here focus on asking about GRE and Graduate school stuff.

https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-401373.0.html#msg5550198
Re: Preparing for GRE by arshy(m): 10:55am On Feb 23, 2010
Great argument here from u guys - SEFAGO, Biina (like fire lol), and 4Play - but i think we should focus more on the GRE as cautioned by SEFAGO.
Besides, is there anybody going for the test?!!!
Re: Preparing for GRE by suxes2005(m): 2:28pm On Feb 24, 2010
Hello house,

please i need this quick information from u guys.

My friend's elder sister wants to study Pharmacy in Usa
for PG and she needs a very good school and also
how will she go about the GRE or GMAT?

Which of them is compulsory? And also SAT n TOEFL

Plus how much does dose exams cost?

SHALOM
Re: Preparing for GRE by arshy(m): 11:30am On Feb 25, 2010
suxes2005:

Hello house,

please i need this quick information from u guys.

My friend's elder sister wants to study Pharmacy in Usa
for PG and she needs a very good school and also
how will she go about the GRE or GMAT?

Which of them is compulsory? And also SAT n TOEFL

Plus how much does dose exams cost?

SHALOM

but you should know that at-least half of the people here will be monitoring the events on the USA STUDENTS' VISA trend even if they are not actively participating in-terms of posting information, and we all know you a very active contributor to that trend and that means you are not naive to all these information you are asking. By inference, we know you got admission with CSUN and you must have passed through all these stages to get the admission. So why playing games with us here, what is been hypocritical for?
Your questions is not even coherent, what relationship does GMAT-GRE has with SAT?
abeg joo, don't play Turai - Yar'adua for us here.

You are busted!!!
Re: Preparing for GRE by NKnight: 8:02am On Mar 03, 2010
Modified. See below. cool
Re: Preparing for GRE by NKnight: 8:41am On Mar 03, 2010
Here are some schools. You may notice a slight leaning towards engineering. cool

Pharmacy Ranking For US Grad Schools

Rank College name Location Score
1 University of California--San Francisco San Francisco, CA 4.7
2 University of North Carolina--Chapel Hill Chapel Hill, NC 4.4
3 University of Minnesota Minneapolis, MN 4.3
4 University of Texas--Austin Austin, TX 4.2
5 Ohio State University Columbus, OH 4.1
5 University of Kentucky Lexington, KY 4.1
5 University of Michigan--Ann Arbor Ann Arbor, MI 4.1
5 University of Washington Seattle, WA 4.1
9 Purdue University West Lafayette, IN 4.0
9 University of Arizona Tucson, AZ 4.0
9 University of Florida Gainesville, FL 4.0
9 University of Illinois--Chicago Chicago, IL 4.0
9 University of Maryland--Baltimore Baltimore, MD 4.0
9 University of Wisconsin--Madison Madison, WI 4.0
15 University of Southern California Los Angeles, CA 3.9
16 University of Iowa Iowa City, IA 3.8
16 University of Tennessee Health Science Center Memphis, TN 3.8
16 University of Utah Salt Lake City, UT 3.8
19 University of Kansas Lawrence, KS 3.7
19 University of Pittsburgh Pittsburgh, PA 3.7
21 University at Buffalo--SUNY Buffalo, NY 3.6
21 Virginia Commonwealth University Richmond, VA 3.6
23 University of Colorado--Denver Aurora, CO 3.5
24 Auburn University (Harrison) Auburn, AL 3.3
24 Medical University of South Carolina Charleston, SC 3.3
24 Rutgers, the State University of New Jersey--New Brunswick (Mario) Piscataway, NJ 3.3
24 University of Georgia Athens, GA 3.3
24 University of Mississippi University, MS 3.3
29 University of Connecticut Storrs, CT 3.2
29 University of Nebraska Medical Center Omaha, NE 3.2
31 Univ of the Sciences in Philadelphia-Philadelphia Col of Pharmacy & Science Philadelphia, PA 3.1
32 Mercer University Atlanta, GA 3.0
32 Oregon State University Corvallis, OR 3.0
32 Texas Tech University Health Sciences Center Amarillo, TX 3.0
32 University of California--San Diego La Jolla, CA 3.0
32 University of Cincinnati Cincinnati, OH 3.0
32 University of New Mexico Albuquerque, NM 3.0
32 University of Oklahoma Oklahoma City, OK 3.0
32 Washington State University Pullman, WA 3.0
32 Wayne State University (Applebaum) Detroit, MI 3.0
32 West Virginia University Morgantown, WV 3.0
42 South Carolina College of Pharmacy Columbia, SC 2.9
42 University of Arkansas for Medical Sciences Little Rock, AR 2.9
42 University of Missouri--Kansas City Kansas City, MO 2.9
42 University of South Carolina Columbia, SC 2.9
46 Creighton University Omaha, NE 2.8
46 Duquesne University (Mylan) Pittsburgh, PA 2.8
46 Northeastern University Boston, MA 2.8
46 University of Montana Missoula, MT 2.8
46 University of Rhode Island Kingston, RI 2.8
51 Drake University Des Moines, IA 2.7
51 Samford University (McWhorter) Birmingham, AL 2.7
51 St. Louis College of Pharmacy St. Louis, MO 2.7
51 University of Houston Houston, TX 2.7
51 University of the Pacific (Long) Stockton, CA 2.7
56 Albany College of Pharmacy Albany, NY 2.6
56 Butler University Indianapolis, IN 2.6
56 Campbell University Buies Creek, NC 2.6
56 Idaho State University Pocatello, ID 2.6
56 University of Wyoming Laramie, WY 2.6
61 Ferris State University Big Rapids, MI 2.5
61 Massachusetts College of Pharmacy and Health Sciences--Boston Boston, MA 2.5
61 North Dakota State University Fargo, ND 2.5
61 South Dakota State University Brookings, SD 2.5
61 St. John's University Jamaica, NY 2.5
61 Temple University Philadelphia, PA 2.5
East Tennessee State University Mountain Home, TN N/A
Florida A&M University Tallahassee, FL N/A
Hampton University Hampton, VA N/A
Howard University Washington, DC N/A
Lake Erie College of Osteopathic Medicine Erie, PA N/A
Loma Linda University Loma Linda, CA N/A
Long Island University (Schwartz) Brooklyn, NY N/A
Massachusetts College of Pharmacy and Health Sciences--Worcester Worcester, MA N/A
Midwestern University Glendale, AZ N/A
Midwestern University--Chicago College of Pharmacy Downers Grove, IL N/A
Northeastern Ohio Universities Rootstown, OH N/A
Nova Southeastern University Fort Lauderdale, FL N/A
Ohio Northern University Ada, OH N/A
Pacific University School of Pharmacy Hillsboro, OR N/A
Palm Beach Atlantic University West Palm Beach, FL N/A
Shenandoah University (Dunn) Winchester, VA N/A
South University Savannah, GA N/A
Southern Illinois University--Edwardsville Edwardsville, IL N/A
Southwestern Oklahoma State University Weatherford, OK N/A
St. John Fisher College (Wegmans) Rochester, NY N/A
Texas A&M University Health Science Center (Rangel) Kingsville, TX N/A
Texas Southern University Houston, TX N/A
Touro University--California College of Pharmacy Mare Island, CA N/A
University of Appalachia Oakton, VA N/A
University of Charleston Charleston, WV N/A
University of Findlay Findlay , OH N/A
University of Hawaii--Hilo Hilo, HI N/A
University of Louisiana--Monroe Monroe, LA N/A
University of Southern Nevada Henderson, NV N/A
University of Toledo Toledo , OH N/A
University of the Incarnate Word (Feik) San Antonio , TX N/A
Western University of Health Sciences Pomona, CA N/A
Wilkes University (Nesbitt) Wilkes-Barre, PA N/A
Wingate University Wingate, NC N/A
Xavier University of Louisiana New Orleans, LA N/A

Source: usnews.com

Pharmacy

1. University of California at San Francisco
2. University of Texas at Austin
3. University of Michigan–Ann Arbor
4. University of Kentucky
5. Purdue University
6. University of Florida
7. University of Minnesota
8. University of Arizona
9. Ohio State University
10. University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill
11. University of Illinois–Chicago
12. University of Tennessee at Memphis
13. University of Southern California
14. University of Maryland at Baltimore
15. University of Washington
16. University of Utah
17. University of Wisconsin at Madison
18. SUNY at Buffalo
19. University of Iowa
20. Virginia Commonwealth University
21. University of Kansas
22. University of Nebraska Medical Center
23. Philadelphia College of Pharmacy & Science
24. University of Georgia
25. Medical University of South Carolina
Source ulinks.com

US Best Biomedical Engineering Program 2008 (Top 20):

1 Johns Hopkins Univ (MD)
2 Duke Univ (NC)
3 Georgia Institute of Technology
4 Uni of California–San Diego
5 Uni of Pennsylvania
6 Massachusetts Institute of Technology
7 Case Western Reserve Uni (OH)
8 Boston Uni
9 Rice Uni (TX)
9 Uni of Michigan–Ann Arbor
11 Northwestern Uni (IL)
12 U of Washington
13 Stanford U (CA)
14 U of California–Berkeley
15 Vanderbilt U (TN)
16 U of Wiscosin - Madison *
16 U of Virginia
16 Washington U in St. Louis
19 Tulane U (LA)
19 U of Texas–Austin

Source: US news.com

US Best Biological Engineering Schools 2009:

1 Johns Hopkins University Baltimore, MD

2 Duke University Durham, NC

3 Georgia Institute of Technology Atlanta, GA

4 University of California--San Diego La Jolla, CA

5 Massachusetts Institute of Technology Cambridge, MA

6 Case Western Reserve University Cleveland, OH

7 U of Michigan--Ann Arbor Ann Arbor, MI

U of Pennsylvania Philadelphia, PA

9 Boston Univ Boston, MA

10 Rice Univ Houston, TX

11 Northwestern Univ Evanston, IL

12 U of Washington Seattle, WA

13 U of California--Berkeley Berkeley, CA

14 Stanford Uni Stanford, CA

15 U of Virginia Charlottesville, VA

16 Washington Uni in St. Louis St. Louis, MO

17 U of Wisconsin--Madison Madison, WI

Vanderbilt Uni Nashville, TN

19 Cornell Uni Ithaca, NY

Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute Troy, NY

U of Texas--Austin Austin, TX

22 Tulane Uni New Orleans, LA

U of Illinois--Urbana-ChampaignChampaign, IL

24 U of Pittsburgh Pittsburgh, PA

Source: US News & World Report 2009

US News Graduate Engineering Rankings 2010:

1. MIT
2. Stanford
3. UC-Berkeley
4. Georgia Tech
5. Illinois
6. Carnegie Mellon
7. Caltech
7. USC
9. Michigan
10. Texas
11. Cornell
12. Purdue
12. UC-San Diego
14. Texas A&M
14. UCLA
16. Wisconsin
17. Maryland
18. Harvard
18. Princeton
18. UC-Santa Barbara
21. Columbia
21. Northwestern
23. Penn State
23. Minnesota
25. Johns Hopkins
25. Florida
27. Ohio State
27. UPenn
27. Washington
27. Virginia Tech
31. NC State
31. RPI
33. UC-Davis
34. Rice
35. Duke
35. UC-Irvine
37. Virginia
38. Rochester
39. Vanderbilt
40. Colorado
40. Yale
42. BU
42. Iowa State
42. Lehigh
45. Arizona State
46. Case Western
46. Delaware
46. Washington University In St. Louis
49. Pittsburgh
50. UMass
51. Rutgers
51. Arizona
51. Notre Dame
54. Brown
54. Dartmouth
54. Drexel
54. SUNY-Buffalo
58. Michigan State
58. Iowa
60. Northeastern
60. SUNY - Stony Brook
62. Colorado State
62. New Mexico State
62. UC-Riverside
62. Dayton
62. Utah
67. Illinois - Chicago
68. Tennessee
69. Auburn
69. Polytechnic Institute of NYU
71. Colorado School Of Mines
71. Illinois Tech
71. UConn
71. UNC-Chapel Hill
75. Cincinnati
75. Washington State
77. Missouri Tech
77. Stevens Tech
77. Tufts
77. New Mexico
77. UT - Dallas
82. Michigan Tech
82. Oregon State
82. Syracuse
82. Missouri
86. Mississippi State
86. UC-Santa Cruz
86. Central Florida
86. Houston
90. Clemson
90. LSU
90. RIT
90. Kansas
90. Kentucky
90. Nebraska

Source: US News & World Report

Chemical

1 Massachusetts Institute of Technology

2 Univ of California–Berkeley

3 Univ of Minnesota–Twin Cities

4 California Institute of Technology

5 Uni of Wisconsin–Madison

6 Stanford Uni (CA)

7 Uni of Texas–Austin

8 Uni of Illinois–Urbana-Champaign

9 Uni of Delaware

10 Princeton Uni (NJ)

11 U of Michigan–Ann Arbor

12 U of California–Santa Barbara

13 Purdue U–West Lafayette (IN)

13 Georgia Institute of Technology

15 Carnegie Mellon U (PA)

16 Penn State U–University Park

17 Northwestern U (IL)

18 Johns Hopkins U (MD)

19 U of Washington

19 Cornell U (NY)

19 Texas A&M U–College Station

22 U of Pennsylvania

22 U of California–Los Angeles

24 Ohio State U

24 U of Florida

Source: USnews.com

US Top Mechanical Engineering Schools 2007 (Top 20):

2 Stanford Univ (CA)

3 Univ of California–Berkeley

4 Univ of Illinois–Urbana-Champaign

5 Uni of Michigan–Ann Arbor

6 Georgia Institute of Technology

7 Purdue Uni–West Lafayette (IN)

8 California Institute of Technology

9 Uni of Minnesota–Twin Cities

10 Cornell Uni (NY)

11 Uni of Texas–Austin

12 Princeton Uni (NJ)

13 Penn State Uni–University Park

14 U of Wisconsin–Madison

15 Carnegie Mellon U (PA)

16 Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute (NY)

17 Northwestern U (IL)

18 Texas A&M U–College Station

19 Ohio State U

20 U of California–Los Angeles

US Top Computer Engineering Schools 2007:

2 Stanford Univ (CA)

3 Univ of California–Berkeley

4 Carnegie Mellon Univ (PA)

5 Uni of Illinois–Urbana-Champaign

6 Uni of Michigan–Ann Arbor

7 Uni of Texas–Austin

8 Cornell Uni (NY)

9 Uni of Washington

10 Princeton Uni (NJ)

11 Purdue Uni–West Lafayette (IN)

12 U of Wisconsin–Madison

13 California Institute of Technology

14 Georgia Institute of Technology

15 U of Southern California

16 U of California–Los Angeles

17 Rice U (TX)

18 U of California–San Diego

19 Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute (NY)

19 U of Minnesota–Twin Cities

19 Johns Hopkins U (MD)

US Top Industrial Engineering Schools 2008:

1 Georgia Institute of Technology

2 Univ of Michigan–Ann Arbor

3 Purdue Univ–West Lafayette (IN)

4 Pensilvania State Uni

5 Uni of California–Berkeley

6 Stanford Uni (CA)

7 Northwestern Uni (IL)

8 Texas A&M Uni–College Station

9 Virginia Tech

10 U of Wisconsin–Madison

11 Cornell U (NY)

12 Massachusetts Institute of Technology

12 U of Illinois–Urbana-Champaign

14 Ohio State U

14 U of Southern California

16 U of Florida

16 U of Pittsburgh

18 Columbia U (Fu Foundation) (NY)

18 North Carolina State U -Raleigh

America's Best Undergraduate Engineering Program 2009 - Specialties: Agricultural
Top 10 List:
1 U of Illinois--Urbana-Champaign
Champaign, IL

2 Cornell U
Ithaca, NY

3 Texas A&M Uni--College Station
College Station, TX

4 Iowa State U
Ames, IA

5 Purdue U--West Lafayette
West Lafayette, IN

5 U of California--Davis
Davis, CA

7 U of Florida
Gainesville, FL

8 Ohio State U--Columbus
Columbus, OH

8 Pennsylvania State Uni--University Park
University Park, PA

10 North Carolina State Uni--Raleigh
Raleigh, NC

2008 Ranking:
1 U. of Illinois–Urbana-Champaign
2 Iowa State U
3 Cornell U (NY)
4 Purdue Univ.–West Lafayette (IN)
4 Texas A&M Univ.–College Station
4 U of California–Davis
7 U of Florida
8 North Carolina State U.–Raleigh
8 Ohio State U–Columbus
10 Pennsylvania State U.–University Park
11 Univ. of Nebraska–Lincoln
12 Michigan State U
12 Univ. of Wisconsin–Madison

Best Graduate Schools - Industrial / Manufacturing:

2 University of California--Berkeley
University of Michigan--Ann Arbor
4 Virginia Tech
5 Northwestern University (McCormick)
Pennsylvania State University--University Park
Stanford University
8 Cornell University
Texas A&M University--College Station
10 University of Wisconsin--Madison

2008 Ranking:

2 U of Illinois–Urbana-Champaign

3 U of Michigan–Ann Arbor

4 U of California–Berkeley

5 U of Wisconsin–Madison

6 Penn State Univ–University Park

7 North Carolina State Univ

8 Purdue Univ–West Lafayette (IN)

9 Texas A&M Univ–College Station

10 U of Florida

11 Georgia Institute of Technology

12 Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute (NY)

12 U of Tennesse

14 Ohio State U

2009 America's Best Graduate Schools Engineering
The ranking is based on a survey of department heads in each discipline surveyed, who are asked to rate each program they are familiar with on a 5-point (1 to 5) scale.

Specialty Rankings : Nuclear Engineering:

1 U of Michigan--Ann Arbor, MI 4.5
2 Massachusetts Institute of Technology Cambridge, MA 4.2
2 U of Wisconsin--Madison Madison, WI 4.2
4 U of Texas--Austin (Cockrell) Austin, TX 3.9
5 Pennsylvania State Uni--University Park , PA 3.8
5 U of California--Berkeley, CA 3.8
7 North Carolina State Uni Raleigh, NC 3.5
8 Oregon State Uni Corvallis, OR 3.4
9 Georgia Institute of Technology Atlanta, GA 3.3
10 U of Florida Gainesville, FL 3.2
11 U of Tennessee--Knoxville Knoxville, TN 3.0
12 Purdue Uni--West Lafayette, IN 2.9
13 Uni of Illinois--Urbana-Champaign, IL 2.8
14 Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute Troy, NY 2.6

Following is the list of Top 10 Petroleum Engineering Schools (Graduate Programs) in the USA in 2009.

Rank, University Name, Location, Score

1 University of Texas--Austin (Cockrell), Austin, TX 4.6

2 Stanford University, Stanford, CA 4.2

2 Texas A&M University--College Station (Look), College Station, TX 4.2

4 University of Tulsa, Tulsa, OK 4.0

5 Colorado School of Mines, Golden, CO 3.4

5 Pennsylvania State University--University Park, University Park, PA 3.4

5 University of Oklahoma, Norman, OK 3.4

8 Louisiana State University--Baton Rouge, Baton Rouge, LA 3.3

9 University of Southern California (Viterbi), Los Angeles, CA 3.1

10 New Mexico Institute of Mining and Technology, Socorro, NM 2.8

10 Texas Tech University, Lubbock, TX 2.8

Source: U.S. News and World Report’s 2009 Best Graduate Schools

2009 Environmental Engineering Ranking:

1 Stanford University, Stanford, CA
2 University of Illinois--Urbana-Champaign
3 University of California--Berkeley
4 Massachusetts Institute of Technology
5 Johns Hopkins University
6 Georgia Institute of Technology
7 University of Texas--Austin
8 University of Michigan--Ann Arbor
9 Cornell University
10 Carnegie Mellon University

Following is the 2008 and 2007 rankings:

2008 Rank, 2007 Rank, Institution
1, 4 Stanford Univ (CA)
2, 3 U of California–Berkeley
3, 1 U of Illinois–Urbana-Champaign
3, 8 U of Michigan–Ann Arbor
5, 2 Massachusetts Institute of Technology
6, - Johns Hopkins Uni (MD)
6, 5 U of Texas–Austin
8, 6 Georgia Institute of Technology
9, 10 California Institute of Technology
10, 14 Carnegie Mellon U (PA)
11, 9 Cornell U (NY)
12, 12 Northwestern U (IL)
13, 13 Michigan Technological U
14, 16 Penn State U–Univ Park
14, 13 Virginia Tech
16, 19 Princeton U (NJ)
16, - Rice U (TX)
16, - U of Florida
19, - Duke U (NC)
19, 7 Purdue U–West Lafayette (IN)
19, 19 U of Wisconsin–Madison

Source: U.S. News & World Report

Aerospace/Aeronautical/Astronautical Engineering School Rankings in USA:

Top 10 List (2009):
Cambridge, MA

2 Georgia Institute of Technology
Atlanta, GA

3 University of Michigan--Ann Arbor
Ann Arbor, MI

4 Purdue University--West Lafayette
West Lafayette, IN

5 California Institute of Technology
Pasadena, CA

6 University of Illinois--Urbana-Champaign
Champaign, IL

7 Stanford University
Stanford, CA

8 University of Texas--Austin
Austin, TX

9 University of Maryland--College Park
College Park, MD

10 Virginia Tech
Blacksburg, VA

2008 Best Colleges Specialty Rankings: Undergraduate engineering specialties: Aerospace / Aeronautical / Astronautical:

2 Georgia Institute of Technology
3 U of Michigan–Ann Arbor
4 Stanford Univ (CA)
5 California Institute of Technology
6 Purdue Univ – West Lafayette (IN)
6 U of Illinois–Urbana-Champaign
8 Princeton Univ (NJ)
9 U of Texas–Austin
10 Cornell Uni (NY)
10 Uni of Maryland – College Park
12 Texas A&M University – College Station
13 Pennsylvania State Uni – University Park
14 Virginia Tech
15 Uni of Washington
16 Uni of California – Los Angeles
16 Uni of Southern California
16 Uni of Colorado–Boulder

2009 U.S. News Best Colleges Specialty Rankings: Undergraduate engineering specialties in Materials:-

1 Uni of Illinois--Urbana-Champaign
Champaign, IL

2 Uni of Michigan--Ann Arbor
Ann Arbor, MI

3 Uni of California--Berkeley
Berkeley, CA

4 Massachusetts Institute of Technology
Cambridge, MA

5 Northwestern Uni
Evanston, IL

6 Stanford Uni
Stanford, CA

7 Cornell Uni
Ithaca, NY

8 U of Florida
Gainesville, FL

9 Georgia Institute of Technology
Atlanta, GA

10 Pennsylvania State U--University Park
University Park, PA

The Top 15 Rankings for Materials in 2008 and 2007 are as follows:

2008, 2007
1, 2 Stanford U (CA)
2, 5 U of California–Berkeley
3, 1 Massachusetts Institute of Technology
3, 6 U of Michigan–Ann Arbor
5, 3 U of Illinois–Urbana-Champaign
6, 9 Cornell U (NY)
6, 4 Northwestern U (IL)
8, 7 PennSylvania State U.–University Park
9, 12 Georgia Institute of Technology
10, 10 U of Florida
11, 11 Carnegie Mellon U (PA)
12, 17 Ohio State U- Columbus
12, 19 Purdue U–West Lafayette (IN)
14, 15 U of Wisconsin–Madison
15, 12 U of Pennsylvania

Ranking of Undergraduate Engineering Specialties - Industrial / Manufacturing:
2 University of Michigan--Ann Arbor
3 Purdue University--West Lafayette
4 Pennsylvania State University--University Park
5 University of California--Berkeley
Virginia Tech
7 Texas A&M University--College Station
8 Stanford University
9 Northwestern University
10 Cornell University
University of Wisconsin--Madison

Best Graduate Schools - Industrial / Manufacturing:
2 University of California--Berkeley
University of Michigan--Ann Arbor
4 Virginia Tech
5 Northwestern University (McCormick)
Pennsylvania State University--University Park
Stanford University
8 Cornell University
Texas A&M University--College Station
10 University of Wisconsin--Madison

Source: US News & World Report 2010

Following is the list of Top 10 Petroleum Engineering Schools (Graduate Programs) in the USA in 2009.

Rank, University Name, Location, Score

1 University of Texas--Austin (Cockrell), Austin, TX 4.6

2 Stanford University, Stanford, CA 4.2

2 Texas A&M University--College Station (Look), College Station, TX 4.2

4 University of Tulsa, Tulsa, OK 4.0

5 Colorado School of Mines, Golden, CO 3.4

5 Pennsylvania State University--University Park, University Park, PA 3.4

5 University of Oklahoma, Norman, OK 3.4

8 Louisiana State University--Baton Rouge, Baton Rouge, LA 3.3

9 University of Southern California (Viterbi), Los Angeles, CA 3.1

10 New Mexico Institute of Mining and Technology, Socorro, NM 2.8

10 Texas Tech University, Lubbock, TX 2.8

Source: U.S. News and World Report’s 2009 Best Graduate Schools

Graduate School Rankings - Engineering Schools 2009

Engineering Schools
1 MIT
2 Stanford
3 UC Berkeley
4 Georgia Tech
5 U of Illinois Urbana Champaign
6 Caltech
7 CMU
8 USC
9 Cornell
9 U of Michigan Ann Arbor
11 UC San Diego
11 UT Austin
13 Texas A&M
13 UCLA
15 Purdue
15 U of Wisconsin Madison
17 U of Maryland College Park
18 Princeton
19 UC Santa Barbara
20 Northwestern

Engineering Specialties - Aerospace
1 MIT
2 Caltech
2 Stanford
4 Georgia Tech
5 Purdue
5 UMichigan

Engineering Specialties - Biomedical
1 Johns Hopkins
2 Georgia Tech
2 UC San Diego
4 Duke
5 U of Washington

Engineering Specialties - Chemical
1 Caltech
1 MIT
1 UC Berkeley
4 U of Minnesota - Twin Cities
5 Stanford
5 U of Wisconsin Madison

Engineering Specialties - Civil
1 UC Berkeley
1 U of Illinois Urbana Champaign
3 Stanford
4 MIT
4 UT Austin

Engineering Specialties - Electrical
1 MIT
2 Stanford
2 UC Berkeley
4 U of Illinois Urbana Champaign
5 Georgia Tech
6 Georgia Tech
6 UMichigan

Engineering Specialties - Mechanical
1 MIT
2 U of Illinois Urbana Champaign
3 Northwestern
3 UC Berkeey
5 UC Santa Barbara

Engineering Specialties - Nuclear
1 UMichigan
2 MIT
2 U of Wisconsin Madison
4 Texas A&M
5 Penn State
5 UC Berkeley

Source: usnews.com

1 Cambridge 5*A 553 91% 100
2 Bath 5*A 462 84% 95.6
3 Liverpool 5*A 376 85% 93.3
4 Imperial College 5*B 469 80% 92.9
=4 Southampton 5*A 412 80% 92.9
6 Sheffield 5A 406 85% 92.4
7 Bristol 5A 451 78% 92
8 Strathclyde 5B 480 76% 90.7
9 Aberdeen 4C 454 87% 90.2
=9 Queen, Belfast 5*B 379 80% 90.2
11 Nottingham 5B 424 80% 90.1
12 Loughborough 5B 391 79% 89
13 Cardiff 4A 370 79% 88.2
=13 Leeds 5*B 354 75% 88.2
15 Aston 5C 299 92% 88
16 Manchester 5A 383 70% 87.8
17 Glasgow 5B 418 71% 87.7
18 Newcastle 4B 378 79% 87.2
19 Surrey 4B 331 81% 86.4
20 Edinburgh 4C 427 75% 86.2
=20 Birmingham 4C 364 82% 86.2
22 Heriot-Watt 4A 373 68% 85.5
23 University College London 5B 366 68% 85.4
24 Swansea 4A 275 76% 84.7
25 Sussex 5B 69% 84.4
26 Hull 4C 233 84% 82.9
27 Brunel 5C 346 66% 82.7
28 Portsmouth 4D 263 84% 82.4
29 Robert Gordon 3bD 300 85% 82.3
30 King's College London 5C 316 65% 81.4
31 Queen Mary, London 5B 274 63% 81.3
32 Nottingham Trent 3bD 219 90% 81.1
33 Bradford 5B 231 67% 80.9
34 Greenwich 3aB 70% 80.8
35 Staffordshire 3bA 192 82% 80.7
36 Salford 3aA 64% 80.3
37 Oxford Brookes 354 79% 79.9
=37 Plymouth 4E 301 75% 79.9
39 Ulster 4A 222 63% 79.6
40 De Montfort 4C 66% 79.4
41 Paisley 2C 75% 78.2
42 Coventry 3aC 230 70% 78.1
43 City 4D 234 69% 77.7
44 Central Lancashire 241 82% 77.3
45 Harper Adams 288 76% 77.1
46 Kingston 3aC 206 67% 76.7
47 Dundee 316 71% 76.6
48 Northumbria 3bD 223 71% 76.4
49 Hertfordshire 3aD 240 66% 76.2
50 West of England 3bD 247 68% 76.1
51 Huddersfield 4E 238 58% 73.7
52 London South Bank 3aD 58% 73.2
=52 Glasgow Caledonian 3aD 58% 73.2
54 Brighton 3bC 247 53% 73
55 Manchester Metropolitan 3aA 238 41% 72.9
56 Sheffield Hallam 3aF 210 63% 72.4
57 Liverpool John Moores 3aE 189 57% 71.3
58 Bolton 165 63% 70
59 Wolverhampton 183 50% 67.2

Source: Timesonline
Re: Preparing for GRE by netotse(m): 7:26pm On Mar 03, 2010
Nknight tried to post a list of school rankings, and my guess is that he got banned by the spambot. . .if anyone wants to see waht he was trying to post, go to his profile and check his recent posts. . . undecided
Re: Preparing for GRE by NKnight: 7:14pm On Mar 07, 2010
netotse:

Nknight tried to post a list of school rankings, and my guess is that he got banned by the spambot. . .if anyone wants to see waht he was trying to post, go to his profile and check his recent posts. . . undecided

I'm glad you noticed. smiley
Thanks.
Re: Preparing for GRE by NKnight: 4:53am On Mar 10, 2010
Who's taking the GRE this month? Hope you have read this thread from page zero,

Done that? Then good luck my friend.

The rest of you, be reminded that PTDF has shortlisted. Test's on the 20th.
Re: Preparing for GRE by NKnight: 8:36pm On Mar 10, 2010
Got accepted via email by the MechSE dept of the University of Illinois Urbana Champaign (UIUC). Glory be to God! cheesy

Checking one's mail 300 times a day has not been easy but we thank God!

For those of us still waiting, may God grant us swift and positive replies.
Re: Preparing for GRE by bebure(m): 10:08pm On Mar 10, 2010
NKnight:

Got accepted via email by the MechSE dept of the University of Illinois Urbana Champaign (UIUC). Glory be to God! cheesy

Congratulations NKnight. That school is bloody good for mechanical engineering.
Re: Preparing for GRE by NKnight: 11:52pm On Mar 10, 2010
bebure:

Congratulations NKnight. That school is bloody good for mechanical engineering.

Thanks, bebure.
Re: Preparing for GRE by zukkie4eva(f): 5:54pm On Mar 11, 2010
NKnight:

Got accepted via email by the MechSE dept of the University of Illinois Urbana Champaign (UIUC). Glory be to God!   cheesy

Congratulations NKinght!!!, so happy for you. Meanwhyl, can i YIM or email u?., need to get some info on d school, cos its one of the schools within in my radar
Re: Preparing for GRE by SEFAGO(m): 8:27pm On Mar 11, 2010
Congrats NKnight, UIUC is a great school- was it for a masters or PhD though?

By the way someone who contributed here goes that school- I wont mention names cheesy

I am busy right now so cannot offer more congratulations
Re: Preparing for GRE by biina: 7:59am On Mar 12, 2010
@Nknight
Congrats and best wishes.
Re: Preparing for GRE by arshy(m): 9:02am On Mar 12, 2010
NKnight:

Congratulations! That's very great

(1) (2) (3) ... (12) (13) (14) (15) (16) (17) (18) ... (44) (Reply)

20 Popular Slangs Used By University Students In Nigeria / N3m As Tuition Fees At Children International School, Lagos / The Ten Oldest Secondary Schools In Nigeria?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 196
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.