Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,159,025 members, 7,838,572 topics. Date: Friday, 24 May 2024 at 05:21 AM

Preparing for GRE - Education (12) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Preparing for GRE (97206 Views)

University Of Benin Students Preparing For Exam(pictures) / Studying Abroad Made Easy Register For Gre, Sat, Toefl, Gmat / Can I Register For Gre Online As A Nigerian (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) ... (44) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Preparing for GRE by H2O2: 9:05am On Jan 16, 2010
don't you worry about me tongue
which c did I clip
i attract women like flies on sh!t
and usually have to ward them off with my supernatural fly-swatter cheesy

SEFAGO:

Could you guys take your womanizing to the romance section. This section is for people taking the GRE and who need advise on graduate school applications

Thanks bros
thanks for immediately curbing the derailment tendencies of honorable oyb.

as concerns the thread,
how about listing some effective study techniques for those of us who have yet to take the test
and perhaps a brief overview of how the application process works
what to expect and how to construct an outstanding application package
Re: Preparing for GRE by yalesam: 11:45am On Jan 16, 2010
can anyone out of those that had done GRE give us some more hints on how best to prepare to for this GRE so as to ace it once and for all. tell us how u handled and prepare for each section, the methods adopted to read for the GRE exam, so that we prepare for the exam now can learn from your cue.

And once again, i still need soft copy materials , anyone that can help me with soft copy material on GRE should please forward those materials to my mail box smithbguy[at]yahoo[dot]com
Re: Preparing for GRE by Superbrain(m): 2:39pm On Jan 16, 2010
yalesam:

can anyone out of those that had done GRE give us some more hints on how best to prepare to for this GRE so as to ace it once and for all. tell us how u handled and prepare for each section, the methods adopted to read for the GRE exam, so that we prepare for the exam now can learn from your cue.

And once again, i still need soft copy materials , anyone that can help me with soft copy material on GRE should please forward those materials to my mail box smithbguy[at]yahoo[dot]com
Read the previous pages. The materials are too large to be sent as attachments but I'll try.
Re: Preparing for GRE by yalesam: 5:32pm On Jan 16, 2010
@superbrain
thanks so much, i can understand that it might be very heavy to send it as an attachment, but i will like u to please try , or better still, u can send the materials one after the other, not necessarily meaning that u send the whole material in just one attachment, looking forward to getting those material from u. here is my email add again:

smithbguy[at]yahoo[dot]com
Re: Preparing for GRE by bebure(m): 7:16pm On Jan 16, 2010
yalesam:

can anyone out of those that had done GRE give us some more hints on how best to prepare to for this GRE so as to ace it once and for all. tell us how u handled and prepare for each section,  the methods adopted to read for the GRE exam,  so that we prepare for the exam now can learn from your cue.

yalesman check your email.
Re: Preparing for GRE by yalesam: 8:54pm On Jan 16, 2010
@bebure

i did send u a mail, did u get it, i am finding it hard to download the stuff, but then i kept on trying, looking forward to u replying the mail i sent to u there.
Re: Preparing for GRE by yalesam: 11:15pm On Jan 16, 2010
@bebure
i have tried downloading the stuff all this while, but it keeps giving me problem saying the material was not well attached, corrupt or not well decoded, i just dont know what to do again in order download the material, did u try checking the material whether it is still good and not corrupt.
@superbrain
did u try sending the GRE material as promised?
@all
any other person that can help as regard getting GRE materials to prepare adequately for the GRE exam
Re: Preparing for GRE by H2O2: 11:24pm On Jan 16, 2010
bebure if you don't mind, send me a copy too.

acetic_ion . . . @ . . . yahoo . com
Re: Preparing for GRE by yalesam: 2:25am On Jan 17, 2010
here is a little hint i have been able to gather from all i have read about this our barrier examinatiom called GRE:

1. It is an exam that do test our in built character, as it does test our anxiety, it is generally believe that to perform well in the exam, take your breadth, dont panic and have that self confidence and remember to always take the break intervals between each section.

2. the first 10 questions are very inportant, make sure that you answer them correctly as it has a greater influence on the overall score.

3. since there is no negative marking, you can use elimination method to guess in between close answers in case you are running out of time in the latter questions,  but remeber never guess in the first 10 questions.

4. the quantitative is not that difficult believe in the fact that u can always get more marks in that section,  the questions might be tricky ,  all u need do is take your time and understand what the question is driving at

5. According what i have read, i have come to realize the fact that Rc carries more marks,  and so more emphasis should be on RC while preparing ,  make yourself more conversant with reading different types of journals, books, short stories and write ups of different background,  both those u find interesting and otherwise. And in the process of doing that, you will also be learning new words so also getting used to reading comprehension as well.

6. as regards AWA, i have not done much research on that,  so i cant say much about that for now. But i think its all about being able to argue out topics based on relevant points.

7. Before going to the exam venue, make sure that u have acustomed yourself with the timing and pace of answering the questions so that u can always meet up with the timing.

8. i want us all who are yet to take the exam or who are retaking the exam to have self confidence and believe we can do it,  it is very important to always have self confidence in all that we do
;
RECOMMENDATION ACCORDING TO RESEARCH DONE:

Barron's prep guide is one of the best book for verbal but when it comes to quantitative some other people have reservation that its question is much more cheaper and not of standard of what you are going to meet in the real exam.

Kaplan CD is also good for verbal

Powerprep is of high recommendation for both verbal and quantitative.

GRE bigbook, then Nova GRE prep courses is ok too, so also grebible software, some people have very high recommendation for this grebible software while others opposees it.

Note: I am not saying that only one book is the best, but i just sampled analysis made by different people as regard these books,  you might have reservation or preference for one over the other,  but i think it will do us good if we personally take our time to go through each of these books and personally choose the ones that suits our taste and studying plan.

i also welcome advice and criticism as regards what i just said from those that had already done the exam and those intending to have the exam done soonest.
Re: Preparing for GRE by yalesam: 2:31am On Jan 17, 2010
@bebure,

at last i was able to download the GRE material, i just glanced through it as i will take my time to start its thorough reading as from tommorrow, but from what i saw, i must confess that the material is of high standard, are u saying that was the only book u read to pass your GRE? was it just that single book all alone?

although i am having like 4-5books now, i want to go through them all and then decide which ones i really want to focus more for my reading guide
Re: Preparing for GRE by SEFAGO(m): 2:40am On Jan 17, 2010
I used only one book and I did very Ok
Re: Preparing for GRE by yalesam: 2:51am On Jan 17, 2010
@sefago
which book was that,  u promised to send me the material in a mail as attachment,   which book did u use,  bebure also told me he used only one book which he studied for just 3weeks, he advised me to put in more effort so that i can score more than he did.
Re: Preparing for GRE by SEFAGO(m): 3:19am On Jan 17, 2010
Barron GRE like 2005-2006 edition or something like that.Its a book so I cannot technically send it to you by email.

I did Ok with that book. High 1400s and such with a very good analytical score
Re: Preparing for GRE by yalesam: 3:32am On Jan 17, 2010
@sefago,
i think everybody used that book, bebure sent me the book via email, he told me that was what he used , and he did even sent me 2008 edition for that same Barron GRE book, i think its the best, though am yet to go through it thoroughly, the one he sent to me too was very heavy, i had problem downlaoding it at first but i had to wait til late in the night when the network will be more faster, so i finally did download it now,
Re: Preparing for GRE by yalesam: 3:54am On Jan 17, 2010
this site could be useful for those still in search of study materials for GRE exam

http://www.testpreppractice.net/GRE/gre-downloads.html
Re: Preparing for GRE by 2good(m): 9:58am On Jan 17, 2010
I think the most important thing about the GRE after your preparation is forgetting that there is a time ticking somewhere or that you have limited time left or else your last 10 minutes will be wasted if you start to palpitate. Confidence can be the difference between getting a 650 in quantitative and an 800 if you cannot compose yourself.
When I did my GRE, as at 10 minutes to go I still had about 10 more questions to do because of the crazy statistics questions they were given me earlier which I spent an unusually large chunk of my time doing. I actually wasted time there until I discovered that I had limited time left so I decided to guess one or two questions to go the next as the questions were becoming harder and more time consuming. After leaving the statistics question, I decided to compose myself and solve the remaining questions as they come and was able to do the remaining 10 questions in 9 minuites because of composure. But if you fidget, automatically you loose alot. Eventually I got 790 in the quantitative. Try to distribute you time evenly and learn how to use shore cut to solve problem because the GRE maths exam is not about being a first class mathematics graduate but being able to solve some a given number of technical mathematical questions within a stipulated time.
As for the verbal, the best I can tell you is to study a lot of words because the analogy, sentence completion and antonym all test your vocabulary strength in one way or the other but reading comprehension to me is the most difficult as I just did not understand one of the comprehension I was given on the day of my GRE and about 6 questions were given from just that comprehension and it really did affect my score.
But in summary, try to compose yourself on the day of your exam.
Re: Preparing for GRE by papi22(m): 11:33am On Jan 17, 2010
Need to register for Gre
Contact me @ rowallace12@yahoo.com
Re: Preparing for GRE by agabaI23(m): 3:06pm On Jan 17, 2010
papi22:

Need to register for Gre
Contact me @ rowallace12@yahoo.com

Anybody who wants to register for GRE and he wants to contact you is not serious!
Re: Preparing for GRE by yalesam: 8:09pm On Jan 17, 2010
@2good

good advice, we should all learn that the exam also test our anxiety, so we do need to be composed and be self confident.

more resourceful information are welcome.
Re: Preparing for GRE by biina: 12:45am On Jan 18, 2010
The computer GRE quantitative and verbal sections are adaptive. Each question in the database has a 'difficulty' level defined by the percentage of students that have gotten it right. The exams aims to start with a median question and work you to a point where you are saturated by getting about 50% (e.g. alternate right/wrong) of questions at a particular difficulty level. Your final score is then based on the percentile/difficulty level of the questions you got right (with a scaled penalty associated for not finishing). The initial 10-15 questions is for 'ball parking', which is done across the different type of questions to detect biases. The weight of the questions (i.e. change in percentile) reduces as the exam progresses. After the first 15 questions, your final score is bounded within a quarter percentile. You want to spend as much time as possible at the beginning and try to get as many questions as you can right. Getting questions wrong at the end wont have as much as a detrimental effect as missing ones earlier.

Beyond the raw score, schools are more interested in the associated percentiles, which reflects how well you do compared to others. An engineering applicant will want to be in the top 90% percentile for the quantitative section. Thus you will want to put in the effort to try and perfect your performance in the Quant and Analytic sections. A simple error in quant could damage your percentile heavily. While the concepts covered are basic, do not under estimate the quants section.

For the verbal sections, most people (excluding those preparing a year ahead) will find out that trying to learn new words will be a low gain process. Better to put your effort into techniques for other sections, like in reading comprehension, which offer better returns. The key to doing well  on the reading comprehension is to learn 'active reading'- a technique that will serve you well in grad school. You need to learn to read a passage once and imbibe most of the information in the passage. You need to read a passage while constantly asking yourself the commonly associated questions like the purpose and style of the author. Reading comprehension is a place where you can do well on difficult questions.

For practice, I would advice getting the ETS test booklets, preferably the big book. It is the only book with true GRE question (and possible repetition). You want to make sure you are only missing questions above a certain difficulty level.

1 Like

Re: Preparing for GRE by H2O2: 1:33am On Jan 18, 2010
Oh darn! And there I thought rote memorization would suffice angry
Re: Preparing for GRE by biina: 5:39am On Jan 18, 2010
For learning new words, there use to be a nice software that would let you match words to meanings (or other way round). The nice thing about it was adaptive in that it kept a database of your success on particular words and repeated more often those that you got wrong.

Not sure if the program or something similar is available, else I dont think its too difficult to write such a program if needed.
Re: Preparing for GRE by H2O2: 5:58am On Jan 18, 2010
Where can I get it

I need to broaden my grammar.
Re: Preparing for GRE by bebure(m): 4:31pm On Jan 18, 2010
sorry guys, i haven't been online in a while. the file isn't corrupt as far as I know. Maybe its just a case of it being to big cos I emailed it to my other email address as well as to you and it opened just fine for me. Sorry. I'll try again when I get home, I' not on my laptop at the moment.
Re: Preparing for GRE by bebure(m): 4:51pm On Jan 18, 2010
I'm glad you've received it. Barron's wasn't all I used. I also used GRE Powerprep which in my opinion is far more superior with regard to math. Barron's is good for practicing verbal,learning quantitative techniques and AWA but for math as biina said Barron's tends to be easier than the real thing. There was also this online forum I used to use which had all sorts of time saving tricks and GRE Powerprep worked out solutions, I'll try to find it and post it here for everyone. The main thing is to be calm for the exam, thats why I messed up the math section cos on the powerprep i always always always got 800 but that day I was damn nervous and so got 760. Bottom line use both books, stay calm, take your breaks, answer ALL questions and the sky is the limit. If you already have good basic math skills and are good at reading & understanding comprehension passages quickly then you wouldn't need to study much for the exam. I've now sent you Powerprep so you should be good to go. Good luck. If you need anything else holla at me.
Re: Preparing for GRE by yalesam: 9:32pm On Jan 18, 2010
@bebure
the recent mail u sent to me was only that same barron's GRE and your resume this time around and not with the powerprep. pls kindly send to my mailbox that POWERPREP for math. thanks

i did send u mail for full details about my needs. tx

@biina,
thanks so much for ur contribution we do appreciate it as well, i must confess you guys are really doing a great job and help for those of us preparing for the exam.

more contributions are welcome,
Re: Preparing for GRE by netotse(m): 10:14pm On Jan 18, 2010
@bebure and yalesam
which version of powerprep are you talking about? I have ppgre31 is it that one? Could one of you guys send me the barrons. . .tenks
Re: Preparing for GRE by bebure(m): 12:25am On Jan 19, 2010
yalesam:

@bebure
the recent mail u sent to me was only that same barron's GRE and your resume this time around and not with the powerprep. pls kindly send to my mailbox that POWERPREP for math. thanks

i did send u mail for full details about my needs. tx

@biina,
thanks so much for your contribution we do appreciate it as well,  i must confess you guys are really doing a great job and help for those of us preparing for the exam.

more contributions are welcome,

I apologise for that, its not even my resume but that of my friend. I've sent it now. I hope I can trust you to delete the resume and the email out of respect for my friend's privacy. And here is the forum which I think was very useful (unfortunately I found it just a week before my exam): http://www.urch.com/forums/gre/
I have one more GRE book on my laptop called Peterson's GRE but its not bery good to be honest and has a lot of mistakes. I set you Barron's again goes I thought you didn't get it the first time. Also try http://www.number2.com
Re: Preparing for GRE by biina: 1:22am On Jan 19, 2010
In addition to the vocabulary software, you can look for books/list on root words, prefix and suffix. Knowing components parts of words an help you with making an well educated guess in the exam. Funny as it may sound, watching foreign programs and reading articles on websites like CNN and BBC can also help develop your vocabulary, as a lot of the words can be found used in context (which helps with remembering its meaning)
Re: Preparing for GRE by yalesam: 2:47pm On Jan 19, 2010
@bebure,

i can understand it was a mistake sending that resume, anyway, i do promise u utmost confidentiality about it, trust my words. thanks so much for the forum details, i will check it later in the day and see what i can learn from those forum as well. i already have the barron GRE and did download it successfully, what am expecting from u now is the powerprep alone.

@netso, i will send u the BARRON GRE from my mail box today, i will so much appreciate it if you can also send that POWERPREP u said u have, thanks so much, here is my email address

Re: Preparing for GRE by holakunle(m): 2:50pm On Jan 19, 2010
Re: Preparing for GRE by bebure(m): 3:19pm On Jan 19, 2010
yalesam:

@bebure,

i can understand it was a mistake sending that resume, anyway, i do promise u utmost confidentiality about it, trust my words. thanks so much for the forum details, i will check it later in the day and see what i can learn from those forum as well. i already have the barron GRE and did download it successfully, what am expecting from u now is the powerprep alone.

@netso, i will send u the BARRON GRE from my mail box today, i will so much appreciate it if you can also send that POWERPREP u said u have, thanks so much, here is my email address

yalesam, I have sent you the powerprep

(1) (2) (3) ... (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) ... (44) (Reply)

N3m As Tuition Fees At Children International School, Lagos / 20 Popular Slangs Used By University Students In Nigeria / The Ten Oldest Secondary Schools In Nigeria?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 66
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.