Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,713 members, 7,831,248 topics. Date: Friday, 17 May 2024 at 04:05 PM

Preparing for GRE - Education (29) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Preparing for GRE (97134 Views)

University Of Benin Students Preparing For Exam(pictures) / Studying Abroad Made Easy Register For Gre, Sat, Toefl, Gmat / Can I Register For Gre Online As A Nigerian (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (26) (27) (28) (29) (30) (31) (32) ... (44) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Preparing for GRE by tabarity: 11:44pm On Mar 04, 2011
cezeozue:

Rejection 1: Princeton

Awww undecided undecided
It's okay man. Ivies are only good for sciences but not so great for Engineering. You've got the best in your palms man, so this should be a blessing in my opinion (it reduces the degree of freedom of alternatives you will be considering when making your final decision). wink wink
Re: Preparing for GRE by myforumid3: 10:19am On Mar 05, 2011
cezeozue:

Rejection 1: Princeton

tabarity:

Awww undecided undecided
It's okay man. Ivies are only good for sciences but not so great for Engineering. You've got the best in your palms man, so this should be a blessing in my opinion (it reduces the degree of freedom of alternatives you will be considering when making your final decision). wink wink

@ceze, my friend I share same sentiments with my friend tabarity and I wont tell you "sorry" cos I cant advise you to even consider them as they arent a top/grt sch for engineering.
So congrats for Princeton reducing ur problem of choice to better offers. make dem go die joor,

@tabarity my friend and all, do u ve any idea when TAMU/UT Austin pet engr dept wud send their decisions? or do u think I shud write them to enquire about the likely date to hear from them?
Re: Preparing for GRE by Physicall: 7:30pm On Mar 05, 2011
@Ceze you can afford to do away with princeton.Any news about funding from any of Stanford or MIT yet?.
I've decided to accept the Gatech offer and not wait for others again.looks good enough!
Re: Preparing for GRE by cezeozue: 11:11pm On Mar 05, 2011
@physicall: Funding at Stanford is looking very unlikely. I'm still chasing down MIT; I'm a lot more hopeful about that one. I really wish funding information would have come with the offer. My mind will be a lot more settled by now. What other places did you apply to?
Re: Preparing for GRE by Physicall: 11:35pm On Mar 05, 2011
@ceze, i applied to TAMU, UARIZONA and FIU. GATECH looks more like my strongest. Na wa for Stanford ooo.Thought all the ivies fund their grad students.Anyway,goodluck with MIT!
Re: Preparing for GRE by myforumid3: 2:02am On Mar 06, 2011
Physicall:

@ceze, i applied to TAMU, UARIZONA and FIU. GATECH looks more like my strongest. Na wa for Stanford ooo.Thought all the ivies fund their grad students.Anyway,goodluck with MIT!
seems ur mind's made up n gatech's a grt sch,so wit funding go 4 it. Are they a top sch in ur course?
Re: Preparing for GRE by areaboi: 2:34am On Mar 08, 2011
I intend to study in a reputable American University for my master's degree but i'm being faced with a lot of constraints.First,my GRE scores(quant 680 , verbal 480 , AW 2.0) its kind of low.Second,my GPA is too poor(2.75/5.00).Although,i've got a lot of certifications like SCJP,CCNA,CCNP(routing).I'm good at using java no doubt but still i don't know if i can get admitted to a reputable school in the states.Another thing is if i can get finanacial aid with this kind of poor datas.Thanks.
Re: Preparing for GRE by cezeozue: 8:04am On Mar 08, 2011
@areaboi: My 2 cents on the matter is that you should try and make as strong an application as possible. There are some things you can't change like your GPA but I might take the GRE again if I were you. Aim for a perfect score in Quantitative and as high a score as possible in Verbal and Analytical writing (I have heard of people getting 780 in verbal and I am sure perfect scores are possible in all areas).

You should also get strong recommendations. Detailed recommendations from full professors actively involved in research are as strong as they get.

Finally, you'll need solid essays. It will help if you get them reviewed by your friends in the kind of schools you want to attend.

Honestly, it might be tough but almost anything is possible if you try hard enough. Apply to safety schools too sha.

About your certifications, I don't think grad schools think too much of them but I'm not certain. In any case, if your Java skills are as strong as you say and you are in the market for a (new) job, send your resume to thisbighead at gmail dot com.
Re: Preparing for GRE by tiana85(f): 7:38pm On Mar 08, 2011
Hi everyone, u guys r really encouraging, i intend taking the GRE in april/may and i need a whole lot of encouragement. i dont knw y i'm soo scared of dat exam embarassed, was actually supposed to take it last year but postponed it. my major worry is the verbal section, all those words!!! i've signed up to dictionary.com but if anybody knows anyfin i culd use to ace d verbal section, pls holla back, tanx and cheers smiley
Re: Preparing for GRE by jaxxsmith: 8:03pm On Mar 08, 2011
@Tiana85
I can identify with your worries. However, you're not the only person faced with this problem (of acing the verbal section). I genuinely believe that an almost perfect score is possible, if you knuckle down to study.
I recently commenced intense preparations because I'd be writing mine by May, 2011, The materials I've found invaluable for verbal section are:
- Barrons 3500 wordlist
- 1100 words-to-know
Perhaps I can send you e-copies of these if don't have any handy.
Re: Preparing for GRE by cezeozue: 9:50pm On Mar 08, 2011
@tiana: I have a few pointers for the vocabulary:
1. You can download a mobile application to help with the words from getjar.com. I used one such but I can't remember the name; it might have had Barrons in the name sha.
2. Download mp3s off esnips.com. I'm too lazy to look for the actual links but if you have difficulty finding them, let me know. Play them off your PC, phone, car, etc
3. Use flash cards written up on 2" x 4" cards. Make them yourself; the process of making them helps with memory.
4. Have different people test you using the flash cards and the mobile application. Note the ones you consistently fail and focus on them (I could never get myself to commit the meaning of 'Animadversion' to memory; I still don't know what it means)
5. Learn the skills of intelligent guessing off your GRE texts; guessing is hardest in analogy but fairly easy in other verbal sections
6. Even if you decide to learn Barrons' 3500 word list (and you should), make sure you master the 300 list fully and completely.

I wish you the best.
Re: Preparing for GRE by myforumid3: 1:22am On Mar 09, 2011
cezeozue:

@tiana: I have a few pointers for the vocabulary:
1. You can download a mobile application to help with the words from getjar.com. I used one such but I can't remember the name; it might have had Barrons in the name sha.
2. Download mp3s off esnips.com. I'm too lazy to look for the actual links but if you have difficulty finding them, let me know. Play them off your PC, phone, car, etc
3. Use flash cards written up on 2" x 4" cards. Make them yourself; the process of making them helps with memory.
4. Have different people test you using the flash cards and the mobile application. Note the ones you consistently fail and focus on them (I could never get myself to commit the meaning of 'Animadversion' to memory; I still don't know what it means)
5. Learn the skills of intelligent guessing off your GRE texts; guessing is hardest in analogy but fairly easy in other verbal sections
6. Even if you decide to learn Barrons' 3500 word list (and you should), make sure you master the 300 list fully and completely.

I wish you the best.
great tips for the gen X.
Stil ve the mobile gre apps on ma brother's fone, BarronsGRE, Wordy, GRE Vocabulary. there are others sha but you shud be gud to go with these, let me know if any of u need any/all of these or if you cudnt get it on getjar.com
I didnt know i was not the only one that cant recall all those words i crammed, like "animadversion".lol
success to you all.
Re: Preparing for GRE by jaxxsmith: 6:25am On Mar 09, 2011
@myforumid3
The mobile application "wordy" is a very useful tool; it contains so many GRE level words. I just downloaded it from getjar
Thanks for your tips
Re: Preparing for GRE by idmanzik: 2:55pm On Mar 09, 2011
You guys are really awesome, I have been following this thread for more than 10 months now and i must confess that i have learnt a lot. Enough to write a book on success tips, recommendation, GRE, packaging an application etc for prospective grad school students.

I intend writing GRE by June or July 2011.

My profile
I graduated in 2010 from a state university with a FCGPA of 4.33 (Final year CGPA - 4.5 and 4.61 for first and second semester respectively).
BSc. Statistics.
Emerged as the best graduating student.
Summary of my project will be published in one of the statistics journal later this year.
Have strong knowledge in Programming Language and can handle packages like SPSS, EPI-INFO, MATLAB, SAS and STRATA. My computer knowledge also includes JAVA, C++ and web designing

I hope to ace my GRE, my fear is that i failed one course in my first year (GST 101 - Use of English) and also had an E in another (GST 102 - Nigerian People and Culture). I performed very poor because i missed both quiz having started my registration very late.

I fear this may make my application to be rejected even if i have a high GRE. So please i need your advice cos i will highly depend on the school funding through MSc (RA or TA).
Re: Preparing for GRE by tiana85(f): 3:03pm On Mar 09, 2011
tanx a lot guys. i'm having a slight problem tho, can't seem to download d wordy application on my fone. i tried wordy and wordy 2 but keep getting a "page not found error". need a lilttle help please! i use a curve.

@jaxxsmith i'd love to have e-copies of the Barrons 3500 wordlist and d 1100 words to knw. u can forward dem to my email addy   free_tolive@yahoo.com   i'd be very grateful.

I want to get down to business asap, let me just grab the horn by the bull and get dis gre thing over and done wit cheesy
Re: Preparing for GRE by cezeozue: 3:07pm On Mar 09, 2011
@tiana: where did you try 'wordy' and 'wordy 2'? Have you visited getjar.com from your curve yet?
Re: Preparing for GRE by tiana85(f): 5:03pm On Mar 09, 2011
@cezeozue, i used getjar.com
Re: Preparing for GRE by cezeozue: 6:19pm On Mar 09, 2011
I use curve as well so I searched and I saw both wordy and wordy2 on getjar.com
Re: Preparing for GRE by jaxxsmith: 7:15pm On Mar 09, 2011
@myforumid
From your earlier post, I elicited you got Pet Eng MS/Ph.d admission at UTulsa. Considering that this is one of my prospective schools, I wish to find out if one could avert sending "financial documents" during admission process (for most schools it is not required at this stage) as I learnt this is one of the required documents. I would appreciate your insightful suggestions.
Re: Preparing for GRE by bukkytroni: 7:19am On Mar 10, 2011
@tiana85

Proper preparation eliminates every fear. As jaxxsmith said, study the 400 words, 1100 words, 3500 words and 4000 words. That is what I am currently using. Also, try as much as possible to take a test a day. When you see your daily score improvement, you will be encouraged to put in more effort. Thats what I did. I found myself scoring very high in Quant, and that encouraged me to face other areas without fear.

Good luck,
Re: Preparing for GRE by stzero: 11:17pm On Mar 10, 2011
Dubi, Ezeozue,

Just curious why the hell did you choose to stay in Naija with your SAT score?
Re: Preparing for GRE by cezeozue: 11:26pm On Mar 10, 2011
My SAT score

You seem to know me quite well, I should look for a better alias. Its only fair though if I know who you are too.
Re: Preparing for GRE by stzero: 12:00am On Mar 11, 2011
cEzeozue,

It's good to see you leaving tips for this people on how things are done!!!! Sefago seems to have his game in order too,

Been a while my friend! Just wasn't sure it was you and could not PM on this board!!! Going through the message board, and reading your moves it was quite easy to figure out.

But it seems you have given this pprocess everything you've got. Have you heard from any other schools yet?
Re: Preparing for GRE by myforumid3: 1:59am On Mar 11, 2011
stzero:

cEzeozue,

It's good to see you leaving tips for this people on how things are done!!!! Sefago seems to have his game in order too,

Been a while my friend! Just wasn't sure it was you and could not PM on this board!!! Going through the message board, and reading your moves it was quite easy to figure out.

But it seems you have given this pprocess everything you've got. Have you heard from any other schools yet?

didnt like d way u blew his cover!, with no PM here, u shud ve atleast email him and catch up on old times
and now u are evening hiding ur cover,
Well i ve changed alias cos of something like this, u def. dont know the damage u cud cause with ur action

jaxxsmith:

@myforumid
From your earlier post, I elicited you got Pet Eng MS/Ph.d admission at UTulsa. Considering that this is one of my prospective schools, I wish to find out if one could avert sending "financial documents" during admission process (for most schools it is not required at this stage) as I learnt this is one of the required documents. I would appreciate your insightful suggestions.

I virtually wrote sth like "Financial Statements available on Admision" on all financial obligation req. Tulsa Grad Office was tough tho, but i didnt give them any attention cos they wont influence the dept decision.
Re: Preparing for GRE by stzero: 3:33am On Mar 11, 2011
Considering the fact that i have not mentioned any names here but only "SAT score", it's only safe to say, no cover has been blown,

Besides why do you make it sounds like we are posting information concerning some illegal activity, I'm pretty sure, it may actually help you guys to organize a conference to meet in person,

As a tech/computer programmer, i am known in person by my handle and attend conferences in Canada and UK and people address me by my handle,

Also I'm am pretty sure there are not a zillion people with his stats from UNN, So he was not looking to hide himself,

Pretty sure cEzeozue knows who I am.,. It'll just take him a while to figure it out
Re: Preparing for GRE by cezeozue: 8:24am On Mar 11, 2011
I agree with myforumid3. If you wanted to PM me, you could have searched for me on facebook and done that. Moreover, you have mentioned names; check out your first post on the thread. I may not have been looking to hide myself but then again, you could have given me the benefit of the doubt and assumed that. I honestly don't know who you are so would you be kind enough to post your full name on the the thread *hint of sacarsm here*.

That said, this thread is for grad school admissions stuff so let me address your question:
Have you heard from any other schools yet?

Nope. Still waiting on 7 decisions.
Re: Preparing for GRE by stzero: 3:19pm On Mar 11, 2011
I'm not on facebook, You still have that sense of humor that borders on the extreme ! 

And i did not mention names, just you chat handle

Well in due time, you will know who i am,  (I am shocked you still don't know)

But the admissions stuff, it's rough for internationals especially when we are competing against these Asian kids that apply with Perfect GRE and 2 or 3 reputable scientific publications.

Your stats are  competitive. I say that because i was in a position to take a look a  pool of applicant to a Ph.D program for the Fall 2011,
It always pisses me off to see like a huge number of Asians applying with these scores but little of no Nigerians. I personally know Nigerians are capable of such scores but i just wonder why they don't apply.

The more i thought about it, it became clear to me that it's a rigorous, expensive process which takes more that just a dream to pursue, So when i stumbled across this site, i was more than impressed with people really really seeking information

So i apologize for any inconvenience. However, i am here to offer any assistance you might need (although you really don't seem to need any)

So i will also extend the same, to every member of the group needing any assistance at all with the admission process

You have power to conquer if you only try, Others went before you an attained the light..(cezeozue, i am very sure you can related to that.)

I wait here to cheer you all and will answer and offer any help any one of you will need provided you have the balls and talent to  back up your dreams!

Most international admissions are reviewed last,  Usually in March, So let's hope that you come through!!

Having said that, i will give my own pointers

1. GRE,  I cannot stress how important this is to your admissions. Citizens and permanent residents of the U.S have crappy scores compared to Internationals. However, in most reputable schools, like the TOP 10, almost everyone has a perfect score,(especially in the Quant).  But if you went there, there just a plethora of Asians.
The first step in this process if you are applying to the TOP 10-20 schools, you have to slay the GRE,  I mean nail it!

The Quantitative is the most important section for engineers,  Most engineering kids score as low as 400 in verbal GRE and still get admissions to top 10 schools. I believe engineers are the reason why a 560 score in Verbal will place you in the 78% to 80 percentile, Having said that, as an international student, you want to make high scores in the verbal too.

If you are one of that hate standardized exams, Practice, Practice , Practice,  That's all i can say, 

Most people who go on to make the best in Grad school are not those with perfect scores, having said that, your situations is different, you need an edge, Every edge you can get. Some schools will say that GRE is not that important that the look at other things (Bullshit),  The GRE is the first line of review!

I understand that acquiring these books may be difficult,  I have a pdf copy of GRE MATH BIBLE, arco GRE, BARRONS GRE and GRE BIG BOOK, Ace the GRE writing.
I will be happy to provide this to all those who need it free of charge.

For those with problems in GRE Quantitaive i recommend the Nova GRE MATH Bible
For those who have problems with the Verbal GRE BIG BOOK is your friend,

Once again, Practice, Practice Practice.

2. LOR letters of recommendations are very important. Someone raised the issue of Nigerian professors being able to submit it online. Most of the letters of recommendation submission system in most schools are moving online. If you can, and your writer has email, let him submit it online. I was on the phone with the Admissions Officer for University of Washington a couple of months ago. I submitted my LOR by mail, And she went on for 12 minutes about why that was not a good idea. She stressed that i should try to submit it online. But if you can't, I'm very sure a solid LOR by mail will not hurt your chances.

In the coming days i will post what a Strong letter of recommendation, a generic letter of recommendation looks like,  Ask your recommender to make it personal,  He should not try to use those annoying adjectives like hardworking, intelligent and all that B.S. He should describe you and talk about your strengths and weaknesses.

2. Make sure it's not generic. If possible give him a sample LOR. When i say generic, some people use letters of recommendation written for one school and submit it to a slew of  graduate programs,  No!

Think about this:

To whom it make concern,
                 I am writing to recommend Saint Zero as an applicant. He is a very hardworking individual,  Blah blah blah

OR

The Admissions Commitee
Massachusetts Institute of Technology
                                     It is with the utmost pleasure and without any reservation that I recommend,  blah blah////

3. Personal Statements, 
                In the admissions committee, the decision is not made by one person. Some of these schools receive as much as 8000 applications. How do they review it? They divide it among all the members.
Some reviewers make a pick based on LOR. Others, like the professor i worked with make their decisions based on your Personal Statements.
It's after they decide that you are a strong applicant, that they bring it over to their weekly meeting and all of them will discuss you application in general. And if you have made a connection with the person who reviewed your application either by letter of recommendation or personal statement.  THEY WILL FIGHT FOR YOU.. I assure you.

Cut out the whole crap of i am very poor and i wanted to do science because when i was 4 years old i went to a science fair, (and you spend like 2 paragraphs telling a pity story). You might not know this but most faculty members also started out  as international. They know how difficult it is.( In fact i have interviewed with 6 different people who just kept asking me, how did i make it this far, that was all the kept asking for 95% of the interview).

Summarize your story in at least 4 lines,  The personal statement answers some basic questions

Who are you ?
Where have you been?
What have you done?
Where are you going?

Answer these question is a coherent way, 

There still a lot involved but i will respond to any questions anyone may have. Good luck to everyone,

cezeozue, Did you by any chance apply to Urbana-Champaign?

3 Likes

Re: Preparing for GRE by cezeozue: 3:26pm On Mar 11, 2011
@stzero: So we went to the same secondary school at about the same time? I can now narrow you down to about 3,500 people. grin

I applied to UIUC; no decision yet.
Re: Preparing for GRE by cezeozue: 3:28pm On Mar 11, 2011
, And despite my initial annoyance at your mentioning my name, (yes you did). I must say that your last contribution was invaluable.
Re: Preparing for GRE by stzero: 4:14pm On Mar 11, 2011
@cezeozue: Well I'm trying to hard to conceal it, Probably people in the forum won't know it's a name. But you are making it hard consistently spelling out that I mentioned your name. smiley
I was carried away! So once again i apologize,
UIUC, is big on diversity. I'm shocked you've not heard from them, But then again, that's a public Ivy with mad rankings in engineering.
What program did you apply to in UIUC?

idmanzik:

You guys are really awesome, I have been following this thread for more than 10 months now and i must confess that i have learnt a lot. Enough to write a book on success tips, recommendation, GRE, packaging an application etc for prospective grad school students.

I intend writing GRE by June or July 2011.

My profile
I graduated in 2010 from a state university with a FCGPA of 4.33 (Final year CGPA - 4.5 and 4.61 for first and second semester respectively).
BSc. Statistics.
Emerged as the best graduating student.
Summary of my project will be published in one of the statistics journal later this year.
Have strong knowledge in Programming Language and can handle packages like SPSS, EPI-INFO, MATLAB, SAS and STRATA. My computer knowledge also includes JAVA, C++ and web designing

I hope to ace my GRE, my fear is that i failed one course in my first year (GST 101 - Use of English) and also had an E in another (GST 102 - Nigerian People and Culture). I performed very poor because i missed both quiz having started my registration very late.

I fear this may make my application to be rejected even if i have a high GRE. So please i need your advice cos i will highly depend on the school funding through MSc (RA or TA).

@idmanzik: I will be able to give you a more specific reply if you include the schools you are applying to and also what program. Also what Journal are you getting published in?
Re: Preparing for GRE by cezeozue: 4:16pm On Mar 11, 2011
@stzero: Masters in ECE. I would have thought it to be an easy one too.

(1) (2) (3) ... (26) (27) (28) (29) (30) (31) (32) ... (44) (Reply)

Top 10 Cheapest Universities In Nigeria. / Ekiti State Student Dies In Boyfriend's Hostel In Osun Poly (Graphic Pix, Video) / N3m As Tuition Fees At Children International School, Lagos

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 99
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.