Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,157,970 members, 7,835,248 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 07:37 AM

Preparing for GRE - Education (32) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Preparing for GRE (97182 Views)

University Of Benin Students Preparing For Exam(pictures) / Studying Abroad Made Easy Register For Gre, Sat, Toefl, Gmat / Can I Register For Gre Online As A Nigerian (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (29) (30) (31) (32) (33) (34) (35) ... (44) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Preparing for GRE by tiana85(f): 6:46pm On Mar 22, 2011
@tabarity dats d mistake pple make wif nfp, classic trap, i made dat same mistake in '07, wuld hav completed my msc by now, it wasnt until last year dat someone who is dere put me thru, unfortunately dey had cut off most courses from d list. anyway sha, i'm sure u'll get a departmental scholarship, i knw someone who did.

yes ceze, delft cut a lot of courses off d nfp list. i dont knw if it had to do wif d budget cut from d dutch government concerning d nfp or if dey just wanted to reduce d number of people coming in thru dat route. all i know is dat options still dey in other places. it can neva be exhausted.

cheers!
Re: Preparing for GRE by rapheal2k9: 6:53pm On Mar 22, 2011
any test center in lekki ?
Re: Preparing for GRE by tabarity: 7:13pm On Mar 22, 2011
cezeozue:

Moreover, this year, many Delft courses were missing from the list of eligible programs for the NFP scholarship. As a matter of fact, I had already gotten the commitment letter from my employer before I noticed this.
tiana85:

@tabarity dats d mistake pple make wif nfp, classic trap, i made dat same mistake in '07, wuld hav completed my msc by now, it wasnt until last year dat someone who is dere put me thru, unfortunately dey had cut off most courses from d list. anyway sha, i'm sure u'll get a departmental scholarship, i knw someone who did.

yes ceze, delft cut a lot of courses off d nfp list. i dont knw if it had to do wif d budget cut from d dutch government concerning d nfp or if dey just wanted to reduce d number of people coming in thru dat route. all i know is dat options still dey in other places. it can neva be exhausted.

cheers!

As we can see, the economy of the WHOLE world is fast crashing down. Yet another warning for saints to put their houses together in preparation for His arrival.
Re: Preparing for GRE by myforumid3: 10:07pm On Mar 22, 2011
cezeozue:

Moreover, this year, many Delft courses were missing from the list of eligible programs for the NFP scholarship. As a matter of fact, I had already gotten the commitment letter from my employer before I noticed this.
me too,

tabarity:

MS programs in private schools like Stanford are simply not for the poor/average. They are designed primarily to rake in money to supplement research funds in a little way. A few promising admitted MS guys do receive support (especially if some prof recognize they might be of great benefit to their research group). Seriously cezeozue, I wonder why Stanford and Wisconsin are not offering you some substantial financial aid, with your profile - it beats my imagination.
As for me, two admits so far: Delft and TAMU, both for MS petroleum, no funds yet. I really need prayers guys.

@ tabarity my friend, when did you get ur TAMU admit and was it thru the AIS site or via email or both?
Have Sent u a mail sha,

tiana85:

cheers!
@tiana85,
did ur person get full dept scholarship or partial, what course pls and any idea about his/her profile?
Re: Preparing for GRE by tiana85(f): 10:52pm On Mar 22, 2011
He had a first class in pet eng. from futo or so.
Re: Preparing for GRE by myforumid3: 2:13am On Mar 23, 2011
tiana85:

He had a first class in pet eng. from futo or so.
@ tiana85, WOW, good to know. great futoites, What year did he finish from futo and what yr did he apply to delft. Sorry for my many questions, the whole story just got more interesting and connects me in the pix.
please can u email me on ghummer365@gmail.com.
Re: Preparing for GRE by cezeozue: 9:29pm On Mar 23, 2011
Rejections 4 & 5: University of Pennsylvania and Johns Hopkins. Omo, to enter american school no easy o!
Re: Preparing for GRE by tabarity: 3:03am On Mar 24, 2011
Could we say JHU and UPenn are more prestigious and thus more competitive than MIT and Stanford in engineering? Obviously NO! It's just money matters. But these decisions are absolutely unbelievable for such a profile.
Re: Preparing for GRE by gjason: 11:44am On Mar 24, 2011
Hi all! great site-i haven't seen another site where African US study hopefuls can communicate and learn from others' experiences. what is concerning(to me) is the prevalence here of the use of anecdotal evidence as support for claims made. with that i mean the use of evidence starting with ' a friend of mine, ', ' i knew someone, ' my former classmate' which is incorrect statistical reasoning as its impossible to prove such an assertion either wrong or right and not representative.

in the case of average GREs, GPAs or demographic makeup of a student body, such information is available (on university websites or maybe usnews.com). instead of using such stories its better to use class averages/medians or minimums when available. if such data does not exist, then one could turn to statistics of other programs of roughly the same rank(whether the rankings are usnews, arwu or nrc) to get a rough idea. considering that the majority of members here are scientists/engineers(me too!), I feel it important to discourage the use of incorrect logical reasoning(and greater use of representative samples rather than one or two cited cases) and i hope members are open-minded enough to see my point.

there is also this common misconception that students in top ranked grad schools have very high combined GREs-ie 1450+. truth is, most engineers get 780-800 in the quantitative but scores above 600 in the verbal are very rare(except in computer science, clinical psychology,linguistics,political science and the humanities)- which is why top engineering departments have GRE averages of 1350-1400. what keeps most of us out is lack of undergrad research experience and LORs from mostly unknown(to the admissions committees) faculty.
I too would like to take a masters in the USA-but in industrial engineering/operations research. problem is financing and i hope someone here could advise me on that.
Re: Preparing for GRE by cezeozue: 12:12pm On Mar 24, 2011
Anecdotal evidence is easier to relate to than the unknown faces represented by demographic data.

what keeps most of us out is lack of undergrad research experience and LORs from mostly unknown(to the admissions committees) faculty

What's the source of the fact above? Is it anecdotal?

What schools are you considering for the IE/OR program? What country are you from? There may be scholarships your citizenship will make you eligible for.
Re: Preparing for GRE by lailai2(m): 1:00pm On Mar 24, 2011
there can't be absolute proof for every point made here. . . .also, what could anyone gain by making false statements here
Re: Preparing for GRE by gjason: 2:14pm On Mar 24, 2011
I never said one needs absolute proof. after all, even statistical inferences are never 100%- there is always specified some level of confidence. what i mean is that people quote one or two cases, then generalize to either prove or disprove and that is what is questionable. i strongly feel that one should check and recheck info used as it might mislead people less informed. I fell victim to my own devices on the LOR issue and maybe i take it back-i had relied on ARWU rankings only having 2 or 3 african universities in the top 500 in saying faculty are unknown.
@lai-lai i am not questioning motives- what am pointing out are fallacies that anyone without a motive to mislead should be wary of.
@cezeozue was considering penn state, vatech, purdue, illinois urbana and am from the eastern side of africa - problem is my grades are much lower than my standardized test scores suggest.
i was checking out the fulbright foreign student program but details are sketchy. any others?

i also make mistakes, just not intentionally and i humbly accept constructive criticism.
Re: Preparing for GRE by lailai2(m): 2:29pm On Mar 24, 2011
@gjason, I see ur point, people can mislead innocently. . . .well, its good there are some experienced heads in the house who have gone through these stages.

Have u applied to those schools already, gjason.
Re: Preparing for GRE by INQRYHELP2: 11:21pm On Mar 26, 2011
undecided
Re: Preparing for GRE by VPersiee: 5:45am On Mar 28, 2011
@stzero and cezeozue

Did you guys do your undergrad in America? What are your stats and background like? Are there public/private scholarships I can apply for in Nigeria after getting admission for a MAsters or PhD program in Nigeria?

I presently go to a small HBCU in America. I have completed one summer research program at Purdue University last summer and I have been accepted to another one a MIT for this summer. Also, I am conducting some research with a professor in a nearby big state research school. A paper I co-authored from my research last summer has been accepted and published. However, these research experiences I refer to do not have a direct relation to my graduate research goals i.e. robotics and control systems. My GPA is 3.8 out of 4.0, but my school is really not rigorous, perhaps even mediocre. I will apply to graduate school for fall 2012. What are my chances at the top schools like Stanford, MIT and Gatech? If my chances are poor there, what caliber of schools are the best I can comfortably get accepted to?
Re: Preparing for GRE by VPersiee: 3:01pm On Mar 28, 2011
Abeg make una answer ooh! grin
Re: Preparing for GRE by stzero: 4:12pm On Mar 28, 2011
@VPersiee,

My Undergrad was in the U.S.
You have acknowledged that your school is mediocre! Never say or tell anyone that during your interview……  It’s not about the school sometimes; it’s more about the individual.

GPA which you have kept high is good enough, If you had a 3.4 OR lower GPA then there will be a problem. But with a 3.8 you'll be fine,

Your goal seems to be directed! The name of the HBCU you attend may be of relevance but, considering your summer research experience, MIT and Purdue, you are molding a solid CV, You are already telling a story,
(Impress your mentor at MIT and network, and ask also ask this question to as many people in MIT as possible while you are there).

Get an LOR…, (If you can find your way into MIT for 3 months, you can connect and go to anywhere you want to. Don’t be shy…. Ask questions.)

These experiences irrespective of your Undergraduate Institution shows that you are reaching and any one who reviews your resume will see it,

For Robotics, I know Carnegie Mellon University does well in funding its Masters and PhD student
Every Ph.D student always get  full funding… Funding for masters is always tricky.

But I will like to know what your research and publication was on, Although it looks like it's irrelevant to Robotics, there is now a movement for interdisciplinary research

For example, Neuroscientist and Engineers are now really collaborating at an alarming rate, There are now programs that recruit Engineers and train them as Neuroscientists. So If you can point out the field of your research, it will help me in giving you a more directed answer.
You'll also have to put fort an impressive GRE scores,
Publication is a great thing! Unless you published in "Nutrition Journal" and applying to Robotics.

Not having a research experience in robotics, you can spin your personal statement to say that you plan on bringing in your "experience in  that to and blend it with robotics"  But keep in mind that Robotics is a very competitve field and i think CMU is still the top and leading institution in Pure Robotics,

Congrats on your  MIT  Research Fellowship Accept!
Re: Preparing for GRE by VPersiee: 4:52pm On Mar 28, 2011
@stzero

Thanks a lot. I had a Q800 and V750 on the GRE. I hear it does not matter a lot. In fact, MIT EE explicitly say they do not consider it. My research was in the study of how different driving patterns affect the energy efficiency of electric vehicles. It did not seem too complicated. Mostly procuring and analyzing data with some easy softwares. I am doing something in mathematical biology now and I should get a paper albeit unpublished from it. The reason all my experiences do not relate to EE is that I am a CS major, and when I came from Nigeria, my stupid school made me start from college algebra i.e. JSS3 math. I was doing calculus II at OAU when I came to the US. So I did not have enough time to do my prerequisites and get EE classes from other schools as I am doing now.

Also, I am getting confused on whether to apply to EE or ME departments if I am interested in robotic controls.
Re: Preparing for GRE by stzero: 5:33pm On Mar 28, 2011
Dude,

You research has everything to do with robotics

To start with Robotic cars and models are electric

If a robotic car  is planning its route to minimize energy usage this can come in handy.

If an off- road robot which is mostly gas powered, the analysis model you used can still be applied, So i think there's quite a correlation between your research and Robotics,

Your stats and research experience, makes you very  competitive. I'll say , go for it,
Some Robot also modelled after Biological Models,

UIUC  developed a  six-legged robot modeled after cockroaches,
mechanics  of muscles and the flight control behind the rapid rotation of the wings of Fruit Flies has been studied,

These are biological models,  To say these are not related to Robotics, i don't know what it,  You should probably read papers associate with your research,  And from your research experience, these are more ME, 

Your stats are GREAT,  And once again,i think you are shooting yourself in the foot by denigrating your Undergrad Institution and your research experience, (Go back to that research experience, forget the data and software you used to analyze, what is the Big picture of that research---

P

If you met some professor and started talking and told him, “ I’m investigating how different driving patterns affect the energy efficiency of electric vehicles.”

Dude that’s a conversation started right there… From there, you draw a big picture of why you are interested in this field of research…

And I don’t mean to be rude but “I don’t think you embraced this research” You should talk about it like it’s the only science that matters….And I also sense some self hatred about your status in life---It sounds like you don’t feel you are where you are supposed to be and you are pissed off at yourself……

You don’t need all that negative energy…,

I have only looked at one line of your research and all I can tell you is that if you opened any one in the Hybrid industry with that line, you are in. I don’t know anything about Engineering (I’m into life sciences)  but I like the research and really want to know what your results were because the world is now clamoring for Hybrid Vehicles. 

Think of the big picture like this “TO improve driveline efficiency and to provide
for the use of energy sources other than petroleum for road transportation, engine powered hybrid-electric  are being developed by auto companies around the world.

That’s your big picture not I analyzed data with some easy softwares…, 

Don’t shoot your self on the foot by saying you just analyzed some data with some easy softwares….

Don’t feel bad about where you are, you are doing just great!!!!
Re: Preparing for GRE by VPersiee: 5:43pm On Mar 28, 2011
I understand you and you are kinda of right. When I first came here, I was negative about being in my school, but I like to believe I have changed and moved on. This is evidenced by my determination to seek opportunities outside my school to enhance my career.

On the issue of the research, I usually discuss about my research in the way you exemplified. However, I sometimes worry that the top professors in the world will see it as shallow. This is kind of a weakness for me: I almost never satisified with any seeming achievement.

To the point: what i wonder is if my research was "technical" enough?

But i guess you are right: I should be working on communicating the big picture that is inherent in the general area of my research.
Re: Preparing for GRE by stzero: 6:52pm On Mar 28, 2011
VPersiee relax,

Do not let your schooling get in the way of your education….

The primary goal of research is to present new dimensions of knowledge and increase human understanding of this knowledge. Even the most effective research is not worth attention if it cannot be successfully communicated to people

The most important thing about a research is the ability of the individual to articulate and describe his research, Graduate Schools are looking for reasoning, organizational skills.

Any one can learn to use a hammer if properly trained, the question is does he know when to use the hammer….

In this regard, the main features of technical research include understanding, clarity, and viability. To be more exact, a technical research paper should communicate new insights, visions, and concepts that will be practically feasible in future.

You may have decided to move on but not internally. You have great stats, and you do not need to prove to anybody that you are smart. I know it’s not been easy! There’s probably no one around you who understands that….
YOU do not need to prove yourself to anybody, This is an emotional battle which you’ll have to fight on your own….and with your permission I can offer some help….But you are approaching life like you have something to prove….
It’s not a weakness, you suddenly acquired it probably about the same time you started college in the U.S… (I think I can relate to what you feel)…. You need to surround yourself with people of like mind, but I’m guessing there’s not a lot around there.

But all this aside, the sky is your stepping stone…. Be more involved in the science
Re: Preparing for GRE by VPersiee: 9:13pm On Mar 28, 2011
Several of your observations about me are definitely on point, especially the one of having people of like mind around me. And please feel free to continue to offer your help and advice. I will be better for it.
Re: Preparing for GRE by flopath1: 1:56am On Mar 29, 2011
@stzero1: The research program has free housing so that's good. However, the stipend is decent, and you have to get food yourself, but I figured the sacrifice is worth it. I am deciding between that one and a goldman sachs internship actually. it is the classic money vs purpose, but I think i'll chose the reserch thing. if I go there and i see that the research isn't really my cup of tea, then we'll proceed to other things.

So a couple of questions for you, do you have 3.9 and a 42 mcat? is 42 mcat not like top one percent or something. I don't know a lot of people with that kind of score. the things you've listed are daunting and would require absolute focus. As for publishing, I am actually getting close to submitting a paper. My research is in applied math/ systems biology, so it a little different. Here is what I am saying, the md/phd at harvard is really really difficult. I talked to some naija guy that was doing his phd at mit and they wouldnot even let him transfer to md/phd.

Anyway, columbia, and wustl also take international students for md/phd. I have a list of schools that take international students, but I am too lazy to post. Stanford and cali schools are no go zones. They like money too much. Anyway, if you don't mind, are you attending a top ten school? seems like you have already taken the mcat, how did you study for it? I am an engineering major, so I hope they'll give room for gpa slack. I should end up with 3.85-3.9 range. Mcat I haven't taken yet. Basically, this summer would determine things on that end.

Have you heard of hst? That is another viable option, but that one only takes superstars, as in people that are just freaks of nature. One naija guy made it a couple of years ago though. Actually, md for international students is not that bad, you just need to have your money or apply to private schools.

So what made you decide md/phd. is the 7/8 years schooling not affecting you? what is your goal after?

Oh, I forgot to add this. Harvard and all these md/phd schools like oxford and cambridge, another shortcut is doing a 1 yr masters there, with a stellar record you would

@cezeozue: MIT has to fund you oh. That your profile is too good for them not to get you an RA or TA position. correct me if am wrong, but you are going for the TPP right? you can easily do a dual masters with that say in tpp and cs or even aero and astro. Did you look into their media arts program? the mit media lab does amazing things. MIT is just a land of opportunity abeg. anyway, did apply to cambridge again? I just wanted to know about that. One more question, do you intend on taking it all the way to phd? if so why? and what do want to do afterwards? I just like to hear/get a feel for what other people reasoning is for getting a phd?
Re: Preparing for GRE by VPersiee: 3:45am On Mar 29, 2011
@flo_path

You are going to be in an harvard summer program? Thats great. I will be in one at MIT. Perhaps we will meet each other in Boston. And you have Goldman Sachs too? na u biko. In my experience, nigerians usually choose the research track or the corporate track, but you have doors to the two areas open. kudos to you and best of luck.
Re: Preparing for GRE by Physicall: 4:41pm On Mar 29, 2011
Guys,glad to be back.I have just accepted two different offers-though with reasons.Anyone knows what consequences this is going to generate?

(1) (2) (3) ... (29) (30) (31) (32) (33) (34) (35) ... (44) (Reply)

20 Popular Slangs Used By University Students In Nigeria / N3m As Tuition Fees At Children International School, Lagos / The Ten Oldest Secondary Schools In Nigeria?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 83
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.