Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,364 members, 7,800,732 topics. Date: Thursday, 18 April 2024 at 04:18 AM

Preparing for GRE - Education (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Preparing for GRE (96762 Views)

University Of Benin Students Preparing For Exam(pictures) / Studying Abroad Made Easy Register For Gre, Sat, Toefl, Gmat / Can I Register For Gre Online As A Nigerian (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (44) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Preparing for GRE by arshy(m): 5:33pm On Aug 17, 2009
Godeagle:

@ arshy,
Yes o, we can only keep praying for ASUU to call off the strike. Meanwhile, I will contact the schools regarding collecting copies of transcript. Did you contact the graduate coordinator or a member of the admissions committee? Did u contact University of Texas @ Austin too? My preparation is going fine, I'm focusing real hard on the quant, so my verbal preparation seems to be suffering. My challenges are in RCs and sentence completion. Once I'm comfortable with my mastery of quant, I will review the verbal section again and practise excercises especially from the big book. For the analogies, I think the key is to master the vocabulary wordlists and to be familiar with the different sort of bridges that link those words. For that, I think barron's list and a review of the analogy section will do. Of course, you will need lots of practise too.

Yes, i mailed the grad coordinator and he responded that i could send the photocopy pending the time the strike will be over. Though, i want to chill till September before i send it. (If madness never chop ASUU head finish, den suppose don call off the useless strike by then, am praying sha).

As per the school, i am not considering Texas again, most Engineering students from Nigeria are applying to Texas this or that, i want to be reserved some how (hope u could guess why, Nigeria factor wherever they dominate. I no wan sand for my garri joo. lol)

As per the TEST, i think i am adjusting to the RC, i have started reading a lot of ridiculous and boring journals (its not easy men). My headache is now with analogy, i am sure i will get over it. The exam is in the next two weeks, no time to waste at all.

Wish well.
Re: Preparing for GRE by Superbrain(m): 6:14pm On Aug 17, 2009
Nice thread.

I've got a lot i want to clarify. I am also hoping to take the GRE in November and i've been preparing for four months now. I'm doing well on my quant but still working on RCs in the verbal. I'm aiming for a score above 1500 and hoping t get into a great PhD program in Chemical Engineering.

I sent my TOEFL registration with a check payment of $150 on the 17th of July to Prometric in The Netherlands and till date i haven't received a confirmation. I'll called and mailed a couple of times but the response remains the same-"Application not received/not found". Now i'm wondering what to do because my scheduled test date was 22nd of August which is barely five days from now. Could the delay be that long or is something wrong?

In lieu of that, i intend to pay for my GRE online. Can any nairalander advise on what payment method ( Visacard, Mastercard, etc) to use? Time's running out and the whole thing is freaking me out!

Also, i'm applying to two schools for a PhD and two others for a terminal masters in Chemical Engineering. Does anyone have an idea about the current aid situation in most top engineering universities like UT, UH and Texas A & M?

Your response would be highly appreciated.
Thanks.
Re: Preparing for GRE by Godeagle: 11:00am On Aug 18, 2009
Hey Superbrain! let me welcome you to the forum. Your brain must be super, indeed; aiming for 1500 is no small dream. grin
I don't know much about cheque payment to prometric, but I suspect that something is not right. It seems like something happened to the cheque along the way and I hope there's a way to track it. I also hope there is a way to take the exam without the confirmation.

For the GRE, I strongly support online payment. Either of mastercard or visacard should work. I used a Skye Bank prepaid visacard for my registration. Regarding financial aid, I think you stand a good chance as you are going for a PHD. I heard that most PHDs get financial aid.

@ arshy,

Thanks o, I feel u jare. That's why I'm spreading my tentacles too. I'm applying to Colorado School of mines, Louisiana State Univ and New Mexico Tech. They may hold even better promise than the oh so popular Texas. I wish us well in the times ahead. My GRE is in two weeks as well.
Re: Preparing for GRE by SEFAGO(m): 4:39pm On Aug 18, 2009
so if everyone does chemical engineering, what about the other fields that need development in nigeria. I know a lot of people are doing chemical enineering wityh the hopes of getting a job in the oil sector.
Re: Preparing for GRE by emmyclev(m): 11:07am On Aug 19, 2009
This is a good one, also preparing for the gre, hope to do justice to it,
Re: Preparing for GRE by arshy(m): 1:51pm On Aug 19, 2009
@ SEFAGO,
Dont u think that is off the topic? We are discussing GRE here and not career choice. But to respond sha, it will interest you to know that there are more graduates of Accounting, Business Administration than Engineering. It is just unfortunate that most of them dont continue their education because they are stuck in the banking hall counting making money.
@emmyclev,
U are welcome on board. How is the preparation for the test going?
Re: Preparing for GRE by Superbrain(m): 5:29pm On Aug 19, 2009
@ Sefago,
It’s not like everyone wants to study Chemical Engineering with the hope of working in the oil sector. I don’t believe that just anyone can study Chemical Engineering and make a good grade. The course is a broad and dynamic one and offers more diversification than any other engineering field. So be it process, production and manufacturing, exploration, environmental, safety or whatever you are interested in, you can never go wrong with a graduate degree in chemical engineering.
I’m more interested in the PhD because it offers a more in-depth study of the field, and I’ll be able to be involved in a lot of research-four years ain’t a joke you know? Asides that, the financial aid given to PhD students in preference to those on a terminal masters is also a strong motivator.

@ Others,
I have a friend who is starting at MIT this fall. He’s Nigerian, on a full fellowship and the most amazing is that he only had a GRE score of 1340 and TOEFL iBT of 100 and undergrad G.P.A of 4.5/5.0. I guess most admission committees look out for other important things. In all, just believe in yourself and trust in God.

@ The “Texas” folks
Some other state universities in the US have great MS and PhD programs in both Petroleum and Chemical Engineering. Don’t limit yourself to only Texan universities.
Re: Preparing for GRE by emmyclev(m): 7:52pm On Aug 19, 2009
@arshy
Thanks for the warm welcome, almost through with the yeye barron list , the verbal is real energy consuming,
Target score- >1500, really want to make it to stanford,
so how is ur prep going?

@to the rest of the crew
Am really having a good time with this thread, wishing u all, success
Re: Preparing for GRE by emmyclev(m): 8:33pm On Aug 19, 2009
can anyone help me with the mathematics behind gpa conversion,

a 3.7/5 on a scale of 4, ( i would appreciate the mathematical approach)
Re: Preparing for GRE by SEFAGO(m): 10:17pm On Aug 19, 2009
Yeah its a bit irrelevant to the topic, but i actually had a reason for asking, me myself would prolly end up in the oil sector if i cant get anything else grin grin. But its not really off topic, because people are asking about schools and other stuff, and I was just curious. Yeah, but most if not everyone are doing PhDs in chemical engineering not just mechanical, electrical, industrial e.t.c so i was just curious about the overrepresentation of chem eng.

I wouldn't go into the dynamics but if you are doing a PhD it means u plan to do research and be a professor, and not to work. Also if you are coming straight from naija it would prolly take more than 4 years to complete a PhD. Look at 5-6 years except you have a masters and also very smart.

@emmyclev,
I dont know how to help you with GPA conversion, because here in the US a GPA of 3.7/5 would be very low if you use the basic math rule of changing fractions. That would be less than a 3.00/4.00 which means u got drunk every day and dated various girls every single day cheesy. Ask other Nigerians who applied to school in the US. They would be in a better position. I would check online for u though.
Re: Preparing for GRE by SEFAGO(m): 10:20pm On Aug 19, 2009
yo bros

http://web.mit.edu/registrar/gpacalc.html

Say thank you oo grin

Or just use this:
Conversion to a 4.0 Scale

Substitute the following values: A=4, B=3, C=2, D=1, F=0, O=0.

Note: a record not containing F's or O's can be converted to 4.0 scale by subtracting 1 from the 5.0 result.

Sit down for your house when NEPA/PHCN takes light and you have nothing to do and calculate each grade from your transcript.
Re: Preparing for GRE by SEFAGO(m): 10:40pm On Aug 19, 2009
Also from what i previously said earlier, dont bother converting your GPA:

Never attempt to convert a GPA mathematically. If you scored, 75% marks, it is not same as 3 out of 4 GPA. Your GPA could be close to 3.9 if the US University determines that in your University and field the topper typically scores 77%.

That means someone with a 4.5/5 wuld not have a 3.6/4.0 in the US system (slightly above average), but close to a 3.8/4.0 which is really high. So ur 3.7/5.0 on a 4.0 scale would have to be determined by the american university officials who are very good at doing this.

But i still think this is unfair oo especially for us who went to school in the US.
Re: Preparing for GRE by emmyclev(m): 9:34am On Aug 20, 2009
Ur response as really been of great help, As per the topper in my class, he was close to a 4.0. In my institution here in naija, i think the last 4.5/5 was in 1998 or 1999, But that is not to say that other schools in naija no dey give first class like water,

A colleague in the u.s told me a 2:1 is a B+/A- in the us grading system (wes.org), and also made me to understand that 3.3/5 is about 3.01/4 but never explained the mathematics behind it,

Well all the same am happy for ur response and the link as well,
Re: Preparing for GRE by arshy(m): 11:06am On Aug 20, 2009
@SEFAGO,
No whaala. U are welcome

emmyclev:

can anyone help me with the mathematics behind gpa conversion,

a 3.7/5 on a scale of 4, ( i would appreciate the mathematical approach)

I think what they look for in the transcripts is beyond just conversion, if you have study the information on the schools' websites very well. For example, if you are applying for Electrical Engineering, they might not be interested in your scores in Biology. Infact, most schools only check the trend, most especially that of the final semester[b]s[/b].
All in all, getting admission is not only based on CGPA or GRE. Your statement of purpose must be good, and you must also have a strong recommendation. There are a lot of guys that graduated with 2.2 and are running their masters over there. A friend of my scored 1050 and he is completing his masters now in Mississippi.
Just focus on the GRE for now and bother-less on the CGPA thing. You might also need to apply to 'safety school' as described in Kaplan.
I am also an applicant joo lol. I don't know much, but i know IT IS WELL.
Best of luck ma guy.
Re: Preparing for GRE by emmyclev(m): 11:38am On Aug 20, 2009
@arshy
i really go with u on the area of ur final year grades, like UT @austin are interested in ur upper class grade .And the SOP/LOR thing is also a determinate factor, As per safety school, well have always wanted to be go to top schools since i will like to pursue my Ph.D immediately,

Can u elucidate on this terminal masters and Ph.D of a thing, can i apply for master and make them understand that i will be interested in running my Ph.D immediately, or better still apply for Ph.D direct (i know say he no easy)
Re: Preparing for GRE by arshy(m): 12:31pm On Aug 20, 2009
emmyclev:

@arshy
As per safety school, well have always wanted to be go to top schools since i will like to pursue my Ph.D immediately,

I am not saying you should not go to top school. I am only saying that if you are applying to 3 or 4 schools, let 1 or 2 of them be a 'safety school', at least to be sure you will have admission and get to the US. It is always good to go for the best anyday, but we must still apply wisdom (you know what i am saying?)

emmyclev:

@arshy

Can u elucidate on this terminal masters and Ph.D of a thing, can i apply for master and make them understand that i will be interested in running my Ph.D immediately, or better still apply for Ph.D direct (i know say he no easy)

I think this is common psychology. If you apply for master leading to PhD, you have a better chance over applying for the terminal masters program. If you complete the masters and you are not ready to continue, i don't think they will arrest you for that except if you sign any agreement regarding that
Re: Preparing for GRE by emmyclev(m): 12:49pm On Aug 20, 2009
regarding the safety school, i go with u on that,

Your reply concerning the terminal thing was succinct,  Thanks a lot,  smiley

will b in touch,
Re: Preparing for GRE by Superbrain(m): 8:08pm On Aug 20, 2009
I'm enjoying this thread! I support the idea of applying to safety schools and initially i hoped to apply to three universities in Texas and four others but right now, i have just four schools in mind and none is in Texas! Most Nigerians are applying to the top tier schools (especially the ones in Texas). I no want make dem use their hip-hop spoil my fuji,

Well, I'm going for LSU, ULL, Colorado and MSU.
Re: Preparing for GRE by Godeagle: 9:00pm On Aug 20, 2009
Wow! I'm absolutely loving the activity on this thread. I seem to be the only that has not contributed lately. wink My job has been real tasking and any spare time I get is used to fight the GRE. I just can't wait for this rigor to be over.

Superbrain:

I'm enjoying this thread! I support the idea of applying to safety schools and initially i hoped to apply to three universities in Texas and four others but right now, i have just four schools in mind and none is in Texas! Most Nigerians are applying to the top tier schools (especially the ones in Texas). I no want make dem use their hip-hop spoil my fuji,

Well, I'm going for LSU, ULL, Colorado and MSU.

@ Superbrain, that was fast. lol. You guys are all running away from Texas like if there's a curse there. Anyways I'm still considersing Texas along with the other nice schools outside Texas. It will be folly to put all one's eggs in one basket. I really like Colorado and LSU. Those places are beautiful. Does your Colorado refer to Colorado School of mines?

SEFAGO:

so if everyone does chemical engineering, what about the other fields that need development in nigeria. I know a lot of people are doing chemical enineering wityh the hopes of getting a job in the oil sector.

I don't mean to draw us back. But I think the energy sector is one area that can't get enough professionals since global energy demand is rapidly increasing. The oil companies are even in the forefront of developing renewable alternative energy. The sector's salary is not bad too. For me, I can't wait to start contributing my quota towards meeting this need and, of course, to start earning the fat salary. grin

To guarantee admission, I reiterate the advise of others. It is best to work on all aspects of your application as if each of them matters the most and to apply to a number of schools including the great, the good and the okay ones.
Re: Preparing for GRE by netotse(m): 9:46pm On Aug 20, 2009
Godeagle:

Wow! I'm absolutely loving the activity on this thread. I seem to be the only that has not contributed lately. wink My job has been real tasking and any spare time I get is used to fight the GRE. I just can't wait for this rigor to be over.

@ Superbrain, that was fast. lol. You guys are all running away from Texas like if there's a curse there. Anyways I'm still considersing Texas along with the other nice schools outside Texas. It will be folly to put all one's eggs in one basket. I really like Colorado and LSU. Those places are beautiful. Does your Colorado refer to Colorado School of mines?

I don't mean to draw us back. But I think the energy sector is one area that can't get enough professionals since global energy demand is rapidly increasing. The oil companies are even in the forefront of developing renewable alternative energy. The sector's salary is not bad too. For me, I can't wait to start contributing my quota towards meeting this need and, of course, to start earning the fat salary. grin

To guarantee admission, I reiterate the advise of others. It is best to work on all aspects of your application as if each of them matters the most and to apply to a number of schools including the great, the good and the okay ones.

i'm thinking of texas but i'm not on the chemical engineering bandwagon. i'm planning for a masters in power o. . .(can anyone recommend any schools?) power is the future in naija o. . .
Re: Preparing for GRE by SEFAGO(m): 2:24am On Aug 21, 2009
so if you do renewable energy will you work in naija? I am just asking ooo grin grin

Like chemical engineering in the US is leaving its traditional path into the more biological related aspects so i am interested in going into pharmaceutical products b4 getting another MBA . I love names: Chief [Insert my name] PhD, MBA, Honorable, OFR, GCN, NTA, AIT e.t.c grin grin

But I am done with my GRE so I am not worried. The GRE is useless anyways for engineering in the US. They don't use it at all especially if you went to school here so i wasn't interested in getting a 1500, I had already done that in the SATs. I am applying to between 10-15 schools because my background is limited in chemical engineering. However, I would advise you guys to branch out especially if you are doing PhD- I know u guys only know about texas but what about Carnegie mellon, berkeley, USC, Purdue, university of wisconsin, university of maryland, penn state, university of minnesota, ohio state, university of washington and the list goes on. Don't apply to MIT or Stanford- it is unlikely you would get in, but there is so much more you could try. Pick a killer list of 10 schools in places you would like to stay in the US and do significant research about the schools. Visit the website of the schools and do significant research about them. If possible contact some of the professors you plan to work with in regards to research. Dont ask about your admission chances.

If you have around a 4.5/5.0 contact me if you want help with schools and also if you want me to read your SOP (statement of purpose), if its less you are on your own wink. Also with a GRE of 1400+ +4.5/5.0, I would willingly offer extra advise. Why I am saying this isbecause they have a higher chance of getting accepted at top schools which is my forte. Easier to get financial aid/Taship/Scholarship at top schools for a PhD. Usually Stanford, Berkeley and MIT expect you to fund yourself for masters. Also don't forget schools in Canada.

Peace, I am going to listen to the great high priest Fela.
Re: Preparing for GRE by netotse(m): 9:05am On Aug 21, 2009
not necessarily renewable energy, i'm more into energy planning/management thats what naija needs right now and yes i will work in naija. . .where else?
Re: Preparing for GRE by Godeagle: 9:14am On Aug 21, 2009
Nice one SEFAGO. You're a real Scholar grin Well, I'm not going into alternative energy right away. For now it's Oil and Gas. Hopefully, by the time I'm ready, alternative energy would have been developing in Nigeria. Otherwise, I'm bringing it in myself. You're applying to so many schools. For us in Nigeria, that would cost quite a fortune. I'm applying to five schools, yet I feel they're too much. Actually, just okay. Take care people.
Re: Preparing for GRE by SEFAGO(m): 9:40am On Aug 21, 2009
yes i am applying to many schools but my case is very special. I studied pure science and am transfering to chemical- my chances are really low, so i have to up it up. If you guys apply to schools that dont have 10000 nigerians u would have an easier chance of acceptance. Applications are also expensive. i dont have the money yet and don't know were to get it , but the benefits of entering a PhD are really high because of the full tuition and stipend they give you so why not spend as much as you can on trying to get it.

Anyways u guys should be wished goodluck on your applications, work on the SOP and GRE because that is what they use to judge people from foreign universities. SOP should be well tailored to suit the interest of some professors in teh school, if you do that your chances are improved
Re: Preparing for GRE by arshy(m): 2:11pm On Aug 21, 2009
@SEFAGO,
Nice one SEFAGO. Your last advice really get to me.

@All,
Just keep moving on, but remember ASUU in your prayers. It won't be funny o, if we are hooked because of ASUU.
Re: Preparing for GRE by arshy(m): 2:15pm On Aug 21, 2009
@SEFAGO,

@All,
Just keep moving on, but remember ASUU in your prayers. It won't be funny o, if we are hooked because of ASUU.
Re: Preparing for GRE by arshy(m): 2:16pm On Aug 21, 2009
@SEFAGO,

@All,
Re: Preparing for GRE by Superbrain(m): 2:25pm On Aug 24, 2009
Has anyone ever tried using a GTB mastercard to pay for the GRE? I have a dorm account with them and i intend getting it there.
Re: Preparing for GRE by Godeagle: 5:23pm On Aug 25, 2009
Hey guys, I'm really really mad at Prometric. I just received an email from them rescheduling my GRE from 30th August to September 10. They said that the centre will not availiable on the date I scheduled it and that if I could not take the exam on the new date, I should call them for assistance. I called to have them fix it on the earliest available date, which is Monday, 31st August. But they wanted me to pay a reschedulment fee of $50 or else no fixing. I dont understand those guys; is it my making that they had to change the date of my exam to an inconvinient date? I'm at a loss now. One of my deadlines is 15th September. So 10th september is too close (or should I say too far?) for comfort. What makes it so confusing is that I may be out of town on official assignment on that week.

By the way guys, I lost my kaplan prep CD. Please can anyone be so kind as to send the file (the CD, Not the Book) to my email:ekejiubad@yahoo.com. Thanks.
Re: Preparing for GRE by Godeagle: 5:56pm On Aug 25, 2009
NB: I just called Firstlogic. They said that GRE exams only hold from Monday-Thursday weekly. So, why does Prometric misrepresent this, misleading people on their website? I had scheduled the exam for Sunday, since it was not a work day and the website indicated that it was available.
Re: Preparing for GRE by emmyclev(m): 7:45pm On Aug 25, 2009
pls guys i need a little help, i received a confirmation mail that have been registered by First logic from ETS, but the problem is the initial of my middle name (U) is ommited, First logic says no problem, that i just have to bring two form of identity,

But the problem now is can i include just that letter U, on my test date as a form of name correction and can it pose any problem during my admission process,

The issue is, not all my document have that initials but my certificate and passport does,
Pls need clarification,

Thanks
Re: Preparing for GRE by arshy(m): 9:36am On Aug 26, 2009
@Godeagle,
It is such a pity it happened to you. Nigeria is always Nigeria. Even thou the test is an international test, all the people supervising it are Nigerians, and you know most Nigerian organizations don't open on Sundays.

That aside, I feel you should try and pay the $50 and re-schedule it for an earlier date, because definitely your scores can't get to your school in a week. I have not even received my Essay score up till now. If you compare what you will loose if you do the test on Sept 10th (when the deadline for your school is Sept 15th), and paying the $50, you will agree with me that it pays you to pay the money.

Anyway, I registered mine yesterday and I will be taking it on Sept 1st (Next week Tuesday).

As per the Kaplan CD, there is nothing you can do with the file, if you don't have the CD. I have to be taking the CD home and bringing it to the office since the software won't work except you insert the CD. You can still prepare with the POWERPREP, if you have it or the GRE Bible. Infact, i don't really think the questions on the CD is that relevant except that it helps you to be time conscious. The test i did is very very different from the questions on the Kaplan CD, but very very similar to the questions on the POWERPREP and GREBIBLE.

@emmyclev,
You are still on course, when you get to the center, they will still verify all your data before you take the test. So, you can change anything you want to change. But, try to stick with the information on your international passport for all your dealings to be consistent.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (44) (Reply)

Top 10 Cheapest Universities In Nigeria. / Ekiti State Student Dies In Boyfriend's Hostel In Osun Poly (Graphic Pix, Video) / N3m As Tuition Fees At Children International School, Lagos

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 97
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.