Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,124 members, 7,811,159 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 03:53 AM

Multinational Company Vs. One Man Business - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Multinational Company Vs. One Man Business (7915 Views)

Which Should I Go For? 110k FG Pensionable Or 220k Contract Multinational / Logistics Manager Needed In A Multinational Company / Logistics Manager Needed In A Multinational Company (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Multinational Company Vs. One Man Business by Liss: 6:00pm On May 22, 2012
Which organisation is better and in what ways? (I am not referring to one-legged one-man business that does not pay salaries as and when due o)I say the benefits are often better in a multinational company but no job security whereas in a one man business job security is greater. Also, the benefits might also be good i.e. you might be getting different allowances (cash) that are not added to your payroll, unlike in a multinational where nothing more comes until salary.

Also the equipment & tools in multi-national are way better than a one-man business but even then, one-man businesses still manage to have adequate systems in place to achieve results. I would vote a multinational over a one-man business any day but I want to be objective as a friend is currently thinking of jumping ship.

Which organisation do you think is better and please share your experiences......
Re: Multinational Company Vs. One Man Business by yamakuza: 6:36pm On May 22, 2012
Can you give examples of these one man businesses?

You mean the likes of Glo and Dangote, or the likes of Keyamo & Associates?
Re: Multinational Company Vs. One Man Business by Liss: 10:44am On May 23, 2012
The likes of Glo, Dangote are home grown, so for the sake of this discussion, let's class them as one-man business although they are multinationals in their own right...
Re: Multinational Company Vs. One Man Business by chuks49(m): 4:47pm On May 23, 2012
In as much as lebanese, indian firms etc are also categorised as multinational firms, the fate of an employee in a one man firm can be determined in the dining table.
Re: Multinational Company Vs. One Man Business by Afam4eva(m): 4:51pm On May 23, 2012
When you consider the pros and cons of both types of business, you'll see that it's a One-man business will pay more in the long run. For one, you'll have job security and will not be a slave to anybody.
Re: Multinational Company Vs. One Man Business by Shakara123(m): 5:04pm On May 23, 2012
Whichever you choose is a function of where you want to be, your career goals, whether or not you are lazy or you like a challenging environment...etc.

Like I would always advice, never begin your career in a one-man business if you have a choice to make. A multinational will most likely train you, and prepare you for greater opportunities (if you know what you want). A one man business will make you feel like a star when truly you are not even close.

Have you thought of what happens if the one man biz goes down?

Also consider how future employers will perceive you when you say you have being with Tayo and Co for 4 years as against a known name whose business processes can't be hard to fetch.

Money is never a motivating factor. It is only a hygiene factor. Its presence will not motivate you, but its absence will demotivate you. Never consider pay to knowledge especially as a starter, else you may just become irrelevant soon if not careful.

Life is all about choice and only responsible people accept the fall outs of the choices they make...especially when it does not go well as planned. Think it through and ask good questions. That will guide your decision. Pray too.

6 Likes

Re: Multinational Company Vs. One Man Business by Liss: 5:45pm On May 23, 2012
afam4eva: When you consider the pros and cons of both types of business, you'll see that it's a One-man business will pay more in the long run. For one, you'll have job security and will not be a slave to anybody.

I quite agree with the job security being better but I don't understand how it pays more in the long run. Also, I actually believe you are a slave to the business owner in a one man business as you can get called at odd hours since the belief is that you should 'understand'. Hence, you become a 'slave'. Plus, aren't employees of one-man businesses subjected to the moods of their employers?
Re: Multinational Company Vs. One Man Business by damilola15: 6:01pm On May 23, 2012
A one-time neighbour of mine started with a multinational company. He was always occupied and never around but got trained, definitely had lots of experience because he was posted to 3 different countries. I'm sure he enjoyed other things because he was young. He left the company to work with a then up-and-coming company. The company got big, when he left to start his own, also with a consultancy. He's looking nicer by the day.
I guess each has it's own pros and cons.

1 Like

Re: Multinational Company Vs. One Man Business by Nickydrake(m): 6:03pm On May 23, 2012
Liss:

I quite agree with the job security being better but I don't understand how it pays more in the long run. Also, I actually believe you are a slave to the business owner in a one man business as you can get called at odd hours since the belief is that you should 'understand'. Hence, you become a 'slave'. Plus, aren't employees of one-man businesses subjected to the moods of their employers?

I believe he understood your inquiry to mean leaving a multinational as an employee to begin your own one-man show.
Not quitting a multinational to work for some Baba Sule Nig. Ltd.

So the issue of being summoned late at night more often doesn't quite come in, since it's basically about you dragging your butt off and diligently seeking a boarding pass for the gravvy train. cheesy
Re: Multinational Company Vs. One Man Business by checkfidel: 6:15pm On May 23, 2012
Both have their cons and pros. I have the opportunity of working for both and I have different experiences.
For a one man company, I had the previlage of being in different department thus knowing a bit of everything which became very useful to me in a multinational.
The one man business really exposed me to the nitty-gritty of my field.
The problem I had with the one man company is that rewarding your effort in self-development is always a problem because they find it difficult increasing your salary.

The multi-nationals on the other hand train you on a specific area of endeavour making you very skilled at it.
The pay for a multi-national also is more appreciated to that of a one man company.
Unlike the multinationals, one man business will not want it workers to join the labour union so as to avoid partaking in any agreement reached between labour and govt.
Re: Multinational Company Vs. One Man Business by brabus(m): 6:24pm On May 23, 2012
Shakara123: Whichever you choose is a function of where you want to be, your career goals, whether or not you are lazy or you like a challenging environment...etc.

Like I would always advice, never begin your career in a one-man business if you have a choice to make. A multinational will most likely train you, and prepare you for greater opportunities (if you know what you want). A one man business will make you feel like a star when truly you are not even close.

Also consider how future employers will perceive you when you say you have being with Tayo and Co for 4 years as against a known name whose business processes can't be hard to fetch.

Money is never a motivating factor. It is only a hygiene factor. Its presence will not motivate you, but its absence will demotivate you. Never consider pay to knowledge especially as a starter, else you may just become irrelevant soon if not careful.

Life is all about choice and only responsible people accept the fall outs of the choices they make...especially when it does not go well as planned. Think it through and ask good questions. That will guide your decision. Pray too.

Never start your career in a shop!
Re: Multinational Company Vs. One Man Business by sylve11: 6:58pm On May 23, 2012
Shakara123: Whichever you choose is a function of where you want to be, your career goals, whether or not you are lazy or you like a challenging environment...etc.

i like this post.

@ Op stick to this and you will never go wrong! cool
Re: Multinational Company Vs. One Man Business by adami48(f): 7:14pm On May 23, 2012
A one man bussines is a hell to experience if am nt mistaken,bt i know am nt cos am talking out of experience, for example, i worked with a multination company, that can boast of hundreds of active branches world wide, (le meridien)an soon because of the so called PRIVITISATION EXESICE dat took place some years ago it was sold out.

we never knew the whole stuff was in the hands of criminal polititial that hav less or no plans for the masses, the place was now sold out to BAR JIMOR IBRAHIM,
He drove all the expertrates from france and came in with some group of people dat has no single experince in the industry and made them managers, name the place NICON LUXURY ABUJA,

Some of the staff there have put in some 3years b4 Mr Jimor claimed the plaace,cos he claimed asset and liability, took over the place, didnt pay staff for the firsth 3 months, intead he told them he can flush them and get himself some new hand afterall NO WORK FOR NAIJA,
LEFT THE PLACE LAST YEAR NOW DOIN WELL IN WERE I AM,
BUT AS AT NOW THERE,STAFF WELLFARE ZEROOOO, no staff bus, no salary increment for the a past six years, no maitenance of the building, since Le Meridien renovated that place by the help of the FG, till date nothing nothing, NO CONDITION OF SERVICE, U WORKED FOR 9YEARS AND YOUR PAY WILL BE LESS THAN A HUNDRED THOUSAND(BENEFITS)No gud health care service, staff that has no were to go cos of the years they ve wasted are dying there,

But the most anoying part of it all is, he will come out in maybe AIT or NTA, to say hes doing a good job , hes staff are well payed, and hes renovating the place seriouly
THAT MAN IS WICKED WHOEVER WANT TO SEEK EMPLOYMENT IN HES COMPANY SHOULD TINK AGAIN,

THE MEDIA ONLY MADE HIM WEALTHY BY ALWAYS TALKING ABOUT HIM, THE MAN HAS NOTHING, WE KNOW WHO HES WORKING FOR,
IN CONCLUSION BFORE U ENTER ANY ONE MANS BUSSINES U NEED A RETINK

1 Like

Re: Multinational Company Vs. One Man Business by Liss: 7:15pm On May 23, 2012
@Shakara123

How does a one-man business make you feel like a star? tongue
Re: Multinational Company Vs. One Man Business by basking4me: 7:33pm On May 23, 2012
The one man business may find it hard starting and retaining its staff at the initial stage but over time, with persistence and push, it will grow out of the abyss.

When starting out work, I stronly believe the one man business is the way to go as you will be GRILLED on the job, the case of gold passing through fire to bring out its shine.

With a one man business, you will learn to be ENTERPRENURIAL!

All the best as you choose.

Basking
Re: Multinational Company Vs. One Man Business by Sike(m): 9:21pm On May 23, 2012
One man's food they say will always be another's poison.
Re: Multinational Company Vs. One Man Business by portage(m): 9:54pm On May 23, 2012

Well said.
Re: Multinational Company Vs. One Man Business by Nobody: 10:45pm On May 23, 2012
adami48: A one man bussines is a hell to experience if am nt mistaken,bt i know am nt cos am talking out of experience, for example, i worked with a multination company, that can boast of hundreds of active branches world wide, (le meridien)an soon because of the so called PRIVITISATION EXESICE dat took place some years ago it was sold out.

we never knew the whole stuff was in the hands of criminal polititial that hav less or no plans for the masses, the place was now sold out to BAR JIMOR IBRAHIM,
He drove all the expertrates from france and came in with some group of people dat has no single experince in the industry and made them managers, name the place NICON LUXURY ABUJA,

Some of the staff there have put in some 3years b4 Mr Jimor claimed the plaace,cos he claimed asset and liability, took over the place, didnt pay staff for the firsth 3 months, intead he told them he can flush them and get himself some new hand afterall NO WORK FOR NAIJA,
LEFT THE PLACE LAST YEAR NOW DOIN WELL IN WERE I AM,
BUT AS AT NOW THERE,STAFF WELLFARE ZEROOOO, no staff bus, no salary increment for the a past six years, no maitenance of the building, since Le Meridien renovated that place by the help of the FG, till date nothing nothing, NO CONDITION OF SERVICE, U WORKED FOR 9YEARS AND YOUR PAY WILL BE LESS THAN A HUNDRED THOUSAND(BENEFITS)No gud health care service, staff that has no were to go cos of the years they ve wasted are dying there,

But the most anoying part of it all is, he will come out in maybe AIT or NTA, to say hes doing a good job , hes staff are well payed, and hes renovating the place seriouly
THAT MAN IS WICKED WHOEVER WANT TO SEEK EMPLOYMENT IN HES COMPANY SHOULD TINK AGAIN,

THE MEDIA ONLY MADE HIM WEALTHY BY ALWAYS TALKING ABOUT HIM, THE MAN HAS NOTHING, WE KNOW WHO HES WORKING FOR,
IN CONCLUSION BFORE U ENTER ANY ONE MANS BUSSINES U NEED A RETINK

I once did a satire on loud-mouth Jimoh Ibrahim(about 3 years ago) and somebody said it was because he didn't give me job. I can never apply to a Jimoh Ibrahim company. He is a paper entrepreneur.
Re: Multinational Company Vs. One Man Business by AjanleKoko: 11:49pm On May 23, 2012
I need to see if I got this right:

Multinational company or one-man business, which is better?

It's a really dumb question to ask anybody.
People really need to stop this systematic dumbing down of Nairaland angry
Abi. If there's nothing to post, just chill and waka pass undecided
Re: Multinational Company Vs. One Man Business by Nobody: 3:45am On May 24, 2012
AjanleKoko: I need to see if I got this right:

Blame the moderator for glorifying the 'question' by putting it on front page!
Re: Multinational Company Vs. One Man Business by insure1: 5:52am On May 24, 2012
I do not think this thread is dumb.

If I ask: "is it better for a doctor to work in the public or private sector?"
It'll take a practicing doctor to realize the full implications of whatever decisions u come up with.

For career seekers, this thread is useful. Maybe Op didn't construct her premises properly for the effect it shld have had.

1 Like

Re: Multinational Company Vs. One Man Business by Lisa1: 8:26am On May 24, 2012
I like this post[img]http://www.50centloseweight.com[/img]
Re: Multinational Company Vs. One Man Business by AjanleKoko: 9:31am On May 24, 2012
slimyem: the only DUMB person on this thread is YOU!
Do you know how many people that are going to make solid life decisions based on the enlightenment from this thread?
If you think it won't benefit you,leave the thread!
Ugh!

Be quiet, child. angry
Re: Multinational Company Vs. One Man Business by Nobody: 12:55pm On May 24, 2012

all your base are belong to the teeny boppers
Re: Multinational Company Vs. One Man Business by AjanleKoko: 1:02pm On May 24, 2012
oyb:

all your base are belong to the teeny boppers

The number of stoopid children that Nigeria is producing these days. Very worrying.
One can hardly recognize Nairaland, with all the idiotic posts flying around.
Re: Multinational Company Vs. One Man Business by tanimola22: 1:08pm On May 24, 2012
Jarus:
I once did a satire on loud-mouth Jimoh Ibrahim(about 3 years ago) and somebody said it was because he didn't give me job. I can never apply to a Jimoh Ibrahim company. He is a paper entrepreneur.

Hahaha. lol Paper entrepreneur, how?
Re: Multinational Company Vs. One Man Business by Liss: 2:12pm On May 24, 2012

Why do you consider it a dumb question? You might have experiences that makes the question seem dumb but in reality its the experience I am banking on. Not everyone has had the opportunity you've had working in either place.

Considering you are regarded as a veteran in the career and travel section, I can say you just lost some of the respect I had for you.

P.S I didn't bribe the moderator to put it on the front page. I just needed a few reasonable responses.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Bank's MD's ''Prayer'' (Curse) On Non-Performing Staff / Why ‘can I Sue My Employer?’ Is Often The Wrong Question / Job Opportunities For Information Science Graduate: Urgent Reply Pls

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 65
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.