Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,895 members, 7,817,635 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 03:59 PM

Oyedepo Slaps-Giving: Court Urged To Dismiss Case - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Oyedepo Slaps-Giving: Court Urged To Dismiss Case (12077 Views)

Wives Of Pastors Urged To Satisfy Husbands In Bed / Britons Oppose Oyedepo's School Over "Slaps-Giving" Video / Slaps Giving! By Bishop David Oyedepo (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Oyedepo Slaps-Giving: Court Urged To Dismiss Case by Mekky2010: 7:05am On May 26, 2012
"We submit that slapping being an act of assault an item outside the provisions of Chapter 4 of the 1999 constitution and the African Charter, this court therefore lacks jurisdiction over same."

In a notice of preliminary objection filed at the High Court of Ogun State and made available to PREMIUM TIMES; Bishop Oyedepo maintained that he and his church are "non juristic persons" and therefore asked the court to strike out the suit as it lacked jurisdiction to adjudicate on the matter.

Robert Igbinedion, a Lagos based lawyer, had in April, filed a suit on behalf of the young lady, who was slapped during a church service, for the enforcement of the lady's fundamental rights to freedom from inhuman and degrading treatment, human dignity, fair hearing, and freedom from discrimination.

Mr. Igbinedion prayed the court to award the sum of N2bn as 'general and exemplary damages' against the bishop as well as compel him to publish a public apology in two national dailies and one international satellite television.

In a counter affidavit deposed by Olugbenga Adegboye, the church's senior legal officer, Bishop Oyedepo stated that "his ministry is a ministry where the holy bible is preached and people are prayed for without coercion."

The church also said that there is no record of anyone called Miss Justice - a sobriquet given to the young lady for the purpose of the suit - in any of its services organized in the past.

A written address to support the preliminary objection signed by F. B Agbanwu, the church's Solicitor, insisted that the matter is not within the Nigeria constitution or the African Charter on Human and People's Rights.

Furthermore, the church urged the court to determine whether Mr. Igbinedion is capable of "bringing this kind of application" before it and whether "it is proper to bring this application against the 1st and 2nd respondents (Bishop Oyedepo and his church respectively).

Arguing that both Mr. Igbinedion and the respondents cannot sue and be sued, Bishop Oyedepo's lawyers noted that the cause of action must centre on clear infringement of a fundamental right.

"The cause of action or principal claim in this application centres merely on slapping one Miss Justice by the 1st respondent.

"The slapping of Miss Justice is an act that could be described as an assault which is a criminal offence punishable under the criminal code...

"We submit that slapping being an act of assault an item outside the provisions of Chapter 4 of the 1999 constitution and the African Charter, this court therefore lacks jurisdiction over same."

The court sits, June 1, for parties to adopt their motion before judgment is fixed.

In December last year, a YouTube video of Bishop Oyedepo viciously slapping a young lady who admitted that she was "a witch for Jesus" during an altar call went viral on the internet.

A second video that surfaced days later showed the bishop justifying his action adding that it is "his ministry to slap" and that "if he sees another witch, he'll slap."

http://saharareporters.com/news-page/bishop-oyedepo-denies-slapping-church-member-says-he-cannot-be-sued

Re: Oyedepo Slaps-Giving: Court Urged To Dismiss Case by LailaIkeji1: 8:25am On May 26, 2012
And the plot thickens. ghen ghen!! cool
Re: Oyedepo Slaps-Giving: Court Urged To Dismiss Case by gulfer: 8:39am On May 26, 2012
Oyedepo Slaps-Giving: Court Urged To Dismiss Case
. No way to stop it now, already in court. Activate another damage control mode instead.
Re: Oyedepo Slaps-Giving: Court Urged To Dismiss Case by neksummi(m): 8:51am On May 26, 2012
I beg make them leave the man of God alone joor! They should look for money elsewhere.

5 Likes

Re: Oyedepo Slaps-Giving: Court Urged To Dismiss Case by Cheggoon(m): 8:55am On May 26, 2012
That Lawer head no correct......if na him wife abi na him mama "OLEDEPO" slap him go say me court dismiss the case....
If Bishop Oledepo is found guilty....he shoul b jail or pay for the penalty....
This n.o.n.s.e.n.s.e should stop..

2 Likes

Re: Oyedepo Slaps-Giving: Court Urged To Dismiss Case by logicboy: 8:55am On May 26, 2012
neksummi: I beg make them leave the man of God alone joor! They should look for money elsewhere.

Sharaap. angry angry

2 Likes

Re: Oyedepo Slaps-Giving: Court Urged To Dismiss Case by Nobody: 8:57am On May 26, 2012
Thunder faya Satan cheesy cheesy cheesy

No backing down from this one son.
Re: Oyedepo Slaps-Giving: Court Urged To Dismiss Case by Nobody: 9:05am On May 26, 2012
neksummi: I beg make them leave the man of God alone joor! They should look for money elsewhere.
sharrap dia! if na u dem slap nko? wetin u for do? oluku!
Re: Oyedepo Slaps-Giving: Court Urged To Dismiss Case by searchcorp(m): 9:06am On May 26, 2012
I have never been this speechless in my eternity of existence.
Re: Oyedepo Slaps-Giving: Court Urged To Dismiss Case by BRAVEFIT(f): 9:10am On May 26, 2012
4 a man of God 2 slap member of his congregatn is nothing but aberration. To err is human, Bishop should accept his at fault & beg 4 clemency rather than help publicise ds shameful act. Suffer,suffer 4 world, enjoy 4 heaven.

1 Like

Re: Oyedepo Slaps-Giving: Court Urged To Dismiss Case by damilola15: 9:14am On May 26, 2012
Umh umn
Re: Oyedepo Slaps-Giving: Court Urged To Dismiss Case by Tinyemeka(m): 9:26am On May 26, 2012
Vain pride leads to the downfall of any man. For men who assume to be great, it is that illusion of being invincible and untouchable.

Vain pride.

1 Like

Re: Oyedepo Slaps-Giving: Court Urged To Dismiss Case by Nobody: 9:26am On May 26, 2012

Why shoul he be left alone? If this man shouldn 't be tried for breaking the law, then we should disband our Police and law courts already. I hope he gets jail or heavy fine if guilty.
Re: Oyedepo Slaps-Giving: Court Urged To Dismiss Case by clemmonce(m): 9:28am On May 26, 2012
NAIJA I HAIL O. A LOT OF PEOPLE ARE BEEN HARRASS BY THE POLICE. MOPOL AND SO ON. ON DAILY BASIS NO BODY DON SUE THEM OO. AND BY THE WAY THEY WIL NOT GET ANY KOBO. ALL NA JEGE

2 Likes

Re: Oyedepo Slaps-Giving: Court Urged To Dismiss Case by Cheggoon(m): 9:40am On May 26, 2012
u r nuffin bt a poor f.o.o.l.....why we go leave the OLEDEPO alone...
If na ur sister him ..slap u for leave him alone
why cant he slap the rich men in his church..may b him kw go hear am...Bishop jux cheat that poor girl cos ..she has no money to pay fat tithe...!
Re: Oyedepo Slaps-Giving: Court Urged To Dismiss Case by ACM10: 9:44am On May 26, 2012
Oyedepo should simply seek to settle out of court. The motive of this case iz clear. They wants to extract money from his organization. The slap iz innocuous, but the comment that followz it iz where the problem lies. I wonder how Oyedepo's attorneyz will be able to argue that case. Besides, there iz a damnin video evidence against him which iz even available on public domainz. His attorneyz are simply wastin their time with annoyin legal manoevres
Re: Oyedepo Slaps-Giving: Court Urged To Dismiss Case by koolgrap: 9:51am On May 26, 2012
Make una forget this matter,
Re: Oyedepo Slaps-Giving: Court Urged To Dismiss Case by MichaelAvede: 9:53am On May 26, 2012
Those dat hav ear let them hear dis, let no man lay a charge on God elet.u dat wanted to gurge now remba u wil be gurge also.if nt nw dat u ar livin it wil be after death. As 4 dus of u who knw hw to gosip men of God remba matt 5.10 said blessed ar those who men shal say any evil words against u .whome d lord has bless let no mao caurse.dat man Oyedipo is bless dan u all dat is againt him nor jorlosy u day here.
Re: Oyedepo Slaps-Giving: Court Urged To Dismiss Case by Nobody: 10:02am On May 26, 2012
Make d man rub small money/tithe for the judge hand.. wetin the fooledepo dey wait for now..
Re: Oyedepo Slaps-Giving: Court Urged To Dismiss Case by Fynist(m): 10:08am On May 26, 2012
Michael Avede: Those dat hav ear let them hear dis, let no man lay a charge on God elet.u dat wanted to gurge now remba u wil be gurge also.if nt nw dat u ar livin it wil be after death. As 4 dus of u who knw hw to gosip men of God remba matt 5.10 said blessed ar those who men shal say any evil words against u .whome d lord has bless let no mao caurse.dat man Oyedipo is bless dan u all dat is againt him nor jorlosy u day here.
.So what you mean is your Man of God.Slapping an helpless girl in front of thousands of witness is the lords doing abi?.i pity you
Re: Oyedepo Slaps-Giving: Court Urged To Dismiss Case by Nobody: 10:11am On May 26, 2012
ACM10: Oyedepo should simply seek to settle out of court. The motive of this case iz clear. They wants to extract money from his organization. The slap iz innocuous, but the comment that followz it iz where the problem lies. I wonder how Oyedepo's attorneyz will be able to argue that case. Besides, there iz a damnin video evidence against him which iz even available on public domainz. His attorneyz are simply wastin their time with annoyin legal manoevres

Oyedepo's attorney must wack.
Re: Oyedepo Slaps-Giving: Court Urged To Dismiss Case by ea7(m): 10:12am On May 26, 2012
Michael Avede: Those dat hav ear let them hear dis, let no man lay a charge on God elet.u dat wanted to gurge now remba u wil be gurge also.if nt nw dat u ar livin it wil be after death. As 4 dus of u who knw hw to gosip men of God remba matt 5.10 said blessed ar those who men shal say any evil words against u .whome d lord has bless let no mao caurse.dat man Oyedipo is bless dan u all dat is againt him nor jorlosy u day here.
please, learn proper spelling and grammar. Then shut the phock up and get the phock out.
Re: Oyedepo Slaps-Giving: Court Urged To Dismiss Case by 4good(m): 10:14am On May 26, 2012
Many of you writing against the man of God know nothing about the things of the Spirit. The girl received a holy Ghost Inspired Reaction for lieing. Can't you all see what follows.

How can you sue your own Pastor?

[b]And sense people are busy making sensible comments about issues not in the realm of senses. IF THE GIRL IS A CHURCH MEMBER IN-DEED SHE WOULD HAVE TOLD THE SON OF PERDITION (WHOSE PROFESSION WILL DEFINITELY MAKE HIM TO KNOW GOD IN THE HARD WAY), the Human right Lawyer, ( to mind his business.

It is simply a battle between the flesh and the spirit.

How I wish God will open your eyes and hearts and see spiritual things.

Greater is HE that is in US than he that is in the world. The Bishop has won the case already before the case was even brought to the court.

I know the Bishop never meant to ASSAULT that girl like many of us are emphasizing here. And his action of slapping is greatly in order. EXCEPT IF YOU CAN JUDGE GOD, THEN YOU CAN JUDGE HIS SERVANTS.

My advice to us all: Instead of snaring our destinies by our mouth comments we should watch the Living God defend Himself. I know the truth always triumph over falsehood come what may[/b]

1 Like

Re: Oyedepo Slaps-Giving: Court Urged To Dismiss Case by SpiritofOkija(m): 10:19am On May 26, 2012
4good: Many of you writing against the man of God know nothing about the things of the Spirit. The girl received a holy Ghost Inspired Reaction for lieing. Can't you all see what follows.

And sense people are busy making sensible comments about issues not in the realm of senses. IF THE GIRL IS A CHURCH MEMBER IN-DEED SHE WOULD HAVE TOLD THE SON OF PERDITION (WHOSE PROFESSION WILL DEFINITELY MAKE HIM TO KNOW GOD IN THE HARD WAY), the Human right Lawyer, ( to mind his business.

Greater is HE that is in US than he that is in the world. The Bishop has won the case already before the case was even brought to the court.

I know the Bishop never meant to ASSAULT that girl like many of us are emphasizing here. And his action of slapping is greatly in order. EXCEPT IF YOU CAN JUDGE GOD, THEN YOU CAN JUDGE HIS SERVANTS.

My advice to us all: Instead of snaring our destinies by our mouth comments we should watch the Living God defend Himself. I know the truth always triumph over falsehood come what may[b][/b]

SHut up noow before its too late... angry

@ Topi

Why the judge dey waste time now.. the video serves as evidence.. put that yoruba man in jail already!!
Re: Oyedepo Slaps-Giving: Court Urged To Dismiss Case by Nobody: 10:21am On May 26, 2012
4good: Many of you writing against the man of God know nothing about the things of the Spirit. The girl received a holy Ghost Inspired Reaction for lieing. Can't you all see what follows.

And sense people are busy making sensible comments about issues not in the realm of senses. IF THE GIRL IS A CHURCH MEMBER IN-DEED SHE WOULD HAVE TOLD THE SON OF PERDITION (WHOSE PROFESSION WILL DEFINITELY MAKE HIM TO KNOW GOD IN THE HARD WAY), the Human right Lawyer, ( to mind his business.

My advice to us all: Instead of snaring our destinies by our mouth comments we should watch the Living God defend Himself. I know the truth always triumph over falsehood come what may[b][/b]

LMAO.....u have got jokes bro. Hope the holy ghost would be in court to testify.
Re: Oyedepo Slaps-Giving: Court Urged To Dismiss Case by folahann(m): 10:27am On May 26, 2012

BTW how did u get access to a computer? spelling judge as gurge, this country is doomed!
When they say 'thou shall not judge', are the pastors exempted? Because Oyedepo gave justice by slapping the girl and told all of them they are free to go and perish.

When you "diagnose" a witch, I think it's prayers they use for deliverance rather than humiliating
Re: Oyedepo Slaps-Giving: Court Urged To Dismiss Case by ebamma(m): 10:34am On May 26, 2012
it baffles me that lawyers are arguing that slapping someone is not punishable in our constitution,isn't slap giving assault?,the gurl should have sued for more money than that cos it is both physical and spiritual assault.
Re: Oyedepo Slaps-Giving: Court Urged To Dismiss Case by Revealedtv(m): 10:40am On May 26, 2012
grin grin grin grin ..."Spelling Judge as Gurge" I will die laughing today ooo looooooooooooooool
Re: Oyedepo Slaps-Giving: Court Urged To Dismiss Case by 4good(m): 10:40am On May 26, 2012
[b]@Spirit of Okija:

I know you do not beleive that God is. I got this notion from your reply. I tell you today that Jesus is knocking the door ... why not open the door of your heart to HIM RIGHT NOW. Tomorrow may not come. When you allow Jesus to come in into your life then I will be ready to teach you more about life with Christ. It is a kind of life that confuses anyone that dwells in the realm of senses (carnal people) 1 Crinthians 2:14-15(NIV)

14 The person without the Spirit does not accept the things that come from the Spirit of God but considers them foolishness, and cannot understand them because they are discerned only through the Spirit. 15 The person with the Spirit makes judgments about all things, but such a person is not subject to merely human judgments,

Hardening your heart will only limit your life. There is more to reality than the things that you can see, touch, hear, feel and taste. Infact, over 70% of reality are beyound our five senses. That is where God is. The access to God is Jesus the Christ John 14:6. Just call upon Him. He has been waiting for you[/b]
Re: Oyedepo Slaps-Giving: Court Urged To Dismiss Case by MichaelAvede: 10:44am On May 26, 2012
Touch not God anioted and do his prophet no harm.u people ar ingorant of d bible infact i dnt tink any lennet person can abuse men of God.how awhich d bible calld dem men of men dat means u as a man can gorge dem.but d bibld say day are men of God ar u God? If u ar nt den liv dem 4 God bvt if u ar God den contunin to gorge dem.
Re: Oyedepo Slaps-Giving: Court Urged To Dismiss Case by logicboy: 10:45am On May 26, 2012
Michael Avede: Touch not God anioted and do his prophet no harm.u people ar ingorant of d bible infact i dnt tink any lennet person can abuse men of God.how awhich d bible calld dem men of men dat means u as a man can gorge dem.but d bibld say day are men of God ar u God? If u ar nt den liv dem 4 God bvt if u ar God den contunin to gorge dem.

See this illiterate
Re: Oyedepo Slaps-Giving: Court Urged To Dismiss Case by osifred(m): 10:50am On May 26, 2012

[b]And sense people are busy making sensible comments about issues not in the realm of senses. IF THE GIRL IS A CHURCH MEMBER IN-DEED SHE WOULD HAVE TOLD THE SON OF PERDITION (WHOSE PROFESSION WILL DEFINITELY MAKE HIM TO KNOW GOD IN THE HARD WAY), the Human right Lawyer, ( to mind his business.

My advice to us all: Instead of snaring our destinies by our mouth comments we should watch the Living God defend Himself. I know the truth always triumph over falsehood come what may[/b]

¶ am shock beyond words...."The girl received a holy Ghost Inspired Reaction for lieing."

¶ wil pretend ¶ didn't seee that.

Hope when next a pastor shoot a member of ur family in the name of deliverance U̶̲̥̅̊ can be bold enough to say he was inspired to do so.
Just so you knw am stil in shock after reading ur post

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Exposition Of The Occult Prophets And Healers In The Organizational Churches / Bishop David Oyedepo , Wf Kumuyi And Enock Adeboye Occultic Exposision / The Internet Has Become A Church For Atheists

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 61
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.