Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,607 members, 7,812,998 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 02:47 AM

UNILAG Renamed 'Moshood Abiola University' - Education (14) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / UNILAG Renamed 'Moshood Abiola University' (37959 Views)

Anambra University Renamed After Ojukwu / I Almost Died When Jonathan Renamed Unilag – Former Unilag Vc Ibidapo-obe / Moshood Abiola Polytechnic Applicants For 2012/2013 .check In (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) (16) (17) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: UNILAG Renamed 'Moshood Abiola University' by iykmora(m): 2:30pm On May 29, 2012
olajide_07: What's the issue the swag in the name or quality of output university of harvard or is it harvard university is one of the best in the world named after harvard for building structures in the school as a philanthropist isn't it the Rector that are preventing schools (Polytechnics) from issuing degrees, can you fault the quality of what comes out from their"though some are questionable" just like universities, just because, they don't want to be directors or provosts of universities, so what's the issue isn't the man worth it? He single handed, won the elections around the country in 1993, and also died in incarceration, most of those fighting or protesting weren't even born then, I was part all students then were part, thou I left, maiyegun was part malcom X (fabiyi) and it was because of June 12, most of those protesting now, don't even merit admission, into the above school so why fight? When you are supposed to protest against corruption, NAH name of school! Rubbish bunch of spoilt small kids, if you say its because he is trying to bribe south westerners, that is a case other then and we know how to threat fraudulent person(s)

where this baba sala pop-out from? Mehhhn you almost murdered me with your grammar. Abegi move to the left jhooor!

1 Like

Re: UNILAG Renamed 'Moshood Abiola University' by Nobody: 2:31pm On May 29, 2012
Miss unilag will now be called miss MAU or is it miss MALU?? Buhahaha! *lwkmd!* chei!
Re: UNILAG Renamed 'Moshood Abiola University' by fluxbush(f): 2:32pm On May 29, 2012
ifeci:

No, I no graduate but I will also make u understand that the name of a school has an effect its certificates. that is how the real world perceives it. let me tell you, if you go for an interview with lets say a cert from Micheal Okpara uni and someone else comes with a unilag and both of you are at par, my dear preference will given to unilag, i hv bn there&i knw. even when you are filling forms online, you will notice that unilag is alwayz listed while u will have to enter d name of ur own skool underthe others category.
WTF!!!Pls do tel me the coy u applied to and ALL the skuls were nt listed.Is dis hw u al r brainwashed into belivin dt u r special?U mean as a prospective employer,I shud employ a unilag dude cuz he is from unilag,even though he is obviously empty and stil egoistic abt it?The only reason ur skul is dis popular is cuz it is situated ryt at d hrt of lagos...makin it vry socially connected.As for academical glory,u guys shud kip livin in d past.rubbish.
Re: UNILAG Renamed 'Moshood Abiola University' by ojaxe: 2:33pm On May 29, 2012
Why does dis mad man want to mar 50yrs of Excellence wit a statement made under the influence of sapele water and sheer stupidity? UNILAG is synonymous with excellence and class, not some backyard tribalized institution associated with dumb losers like MKO
Re: UNILAG Renamed 'Moshood Abiola University' by ifeci: 2:47pm On May 29, 2012
WTF!!!Pls do tel me the coy u applied to and ALL the skuls were nt listed.Is dis hw u al r brainwashed into belivin dt u r special?U mean as a prospective employer,I shud employ a unilag dude cuz he is from unilag,even though he is obviously empty and stil egoistic abt it?The only reason ur skul is dis popular is cuz it is situated ryt at d hrt of lagos...makin it vry socially connected.As for academical glory,u guys shud kip livin in d past.rubbish.

I want to believe you read my my last post with your eyes and not with what am thinking! do you even understand the meaning of "at par"? yeah in some of the sites I went to, not all the skools were listed or hv u visited all the sites on the internet!? yeah, right in the hrt of lag and socially connected; you are still singing the praises out of the corner of your mouth while deluding yourself of that which u knw is true. there is always an advantage my dear, dts y unilag rocks!
Re: UNILAG Renamed 'Moshood Abiola University' by oradee: 2:50pm On May 29, 2012
euphoria: This is utter rubbish. He is not a millitary head of state like IBB to change the name of a University without consulting with the school authorities. There is a Professor on STV right now that is very mad at the President's decision to make such a change without consulting the school's senate. They are mourning the past VC at the moment with the burial scheduled for Thursday. GEJ needs to consult with stakeholders before making decisions that affect them. This is DEMOCRACY!!!

the best post ive read so far...is this the best he could do wif his authoriity as the president/is he torn inbtwn military and civilian regime? did he consult anyone before this or is he just good at giving nigerians surprise gifts? would he rename a state and then the nation inorder to immotalise him? did the family of MKO ask for this indirectly?
Unilag is as old as itself and the name should be immortalized...if babangida(a military) did it,i dont think GEJ(a civilian) should do it!
Re: UNILAG Renamed 'Moshood Abiola University' by Brezzybone(m): 2:53pm On May 29, 2012
I think we should concentrate on ourselves than border abt a change in name, the name dnt take away the quality of the sch. Employers will continue to uphold the sch in high esteem so it dnt change anything, the name sound funny sha! Bt we must move on, MAU shame.
Re: UNILAG Renamed 'Moshood Abiola University' by lacasa: 2:56pm On May 29, 2012
1st. Jan- GEJ shocked us wt removal of subsidy

29th May- GEJ shocks us wit Unilag τ̅o MauLag

Haha.. By 2015 will we be able τ̅o handle all D̶̲̥̅̊ shocks by then

Damn! Fresh air tinz cheesy
Re: UNILAG Renamed 'Moshood Abiola University' by Nobody: 3:00pm On May 29, 2012
ifeci:

I want to believe you read my my last post with your eyes and not with what am thinking! do you even understand the meaning of "at par"? yeah in some of the sites I went to, not all the skools were listed or hv u visited all the sites on the internet!? yeah, right in the hrt of lag and socially connected; you are still singing the praises out of the corner of your mouth while deluding yourself of that which u knw is true. there is always an advantage my dear, dts y unilag rocks!

Does living in Lagos make you better than someone living in Abuja simply because Lagos is known around the world ? Stop trippin over this shiit and get real.With all the hype about Unilag,it has never ranked as the best school in Nigeria;still lagging behind UI,OAU,UNILORIN and UNIBEN despite the fact that these schools are located in ancient cities.
What y'all forgot is that name doesnt make schools if not covenant and other private unis would have been among the best in Nigeria.There is nothing special about unilag to me !
Re: UNILAG Renamed 'Moshood Abiola University' by dayokanu(m): 3:02pm On May 29, 2012
All hail Retardeen govt.

Cluelessness personified

1 Like

Re: UNILAG Renamed 'Moshood Abiola University' by ifeci: 3:16pm On May 29, 2012
Does living in Lagos make you better than someone living in Abuja simply because Lagos is known around the world ? Stop trippin over this shiit and get real.With all the hype about Unilag,it has never ranked as the best school in Nigeria;still lagging behind UI,OAU,UNILORIN and UNIBEN despite the fact that these schools are located in ancient cities.
What y'all forgot is that name doesnt make schools if not covenant and other private unis would have been among the best in Nigeria.There is nothing special about unilag to me !

I was almost thinking your post was great until you said that names don't make schools. Names does! and that is why schools like havard are regarded as the best; the have built that legacy for years and you can't wake up one morning and change that. if you hv harvard on ur CV, I don't need to ask around or seek a sorcerer to know that u r an asset. unilag might not b d best but it ranks high on the list and thats a legacy that has been built for yrs even b4 I ws born(I dnt knw hw old u r)
Re: UNILAG Renamed 'Moshood Abiola University' by ifeci: 3:16pm On May 29, 2012
?
Re: UNILAG Renamed 'Moshood Abiola University' by brabus(m): 3:19pm On May 29, 2012
[size=18]Emergency General Meeting!!![/size]

Calling on all the Alumnis of Abiola Group of Schools.

* MKO Abiola Pry School Adatan, Abeokuta
* Salawu Abiola Sec Sch Osiele, Abeokuta
* Moshood Abiola Polytechnic, Abeokuta,
* Moshood Abiola University, Lagos

There will an emergency meeting at MKO Abiola Stadium, off Abiola way, Abeokuta on 12 June, 2012.
All alumni, abiola babes and boys coming from Lagos should assemble at our liason office 1, Kudirat Abiola way, Oregun Lagos or MKO Abiola Gardens, Lagos.

Be Punctual!

1 Like

Re: UNILAG Renamed 'Moshood Abiola University' by adegbitown: 3:20pm On May 29, 2012
Remii[color=#006600:
][color=#006600]On a lighter mood, No more Unilag babes, they are now Abiola babes. grin grin grin grin[
Or Moshood babes grin grin grin grin
Re: UNILAG Renamed 'Moshood Abiola University' by ektbear: 3:22pm On May 29, 2012
brabus: [size=18]Emergency General Meeting!!![/size]

Calling on all the Alumnis of Abiola Group of Schools.

* MKO Abiola Pry School Adatan, Abeokuta
* Salawu Abiola Sec Sch Osiele, Abeokuta
* Moshood Abiola Polytechnic, Abeokuta,
* Moshood Abiola University, Lagos

There will an emergency meeting at MKO Abiola Stadium, off Abiola way, Abeokuta on 12 June, 2012.
All alumni, abiola babes and boys coming from Lagos should assemble at our liason office 1, Kudirat Abiola way, Oregun Lagos or MKO Abiola Gardens, Lagos.

Be Punctual!

lmao
Re: UNILAG Renamed 'Moshood Abiola University' by kamalcole(m): 3:30pm On May 29, 2012
Maulag ko,mau mau ni
Re: UNILAG Renamed 'Moshood Abiola University' by lasgidiboy1: 3:31pm On May 29, 2012
Dividends of democracy.. The price of aristos has been subsidized. wink
Re: UNILAG Renamed 'Moshood Abiola University' by iykmora(m): 3:32pm On May 29, 2012
ifeci:

I want to believe you read my my last post with your eyes and not with what am thinking!

what do you think she read ur post with ?? Lolllz
just curious!!!
Re: UNILAG Renamed 'Moshood Abiola University' by oradee: 3:34pm On May 29, 2012
ifeci:

No, I no graduate but I will also make u understand that the name of a school has an effect its certificates. that is how the real world perceives it. let me tell you, if you go for an interview with lets say a cert from Micheal Okpara uni and someone else comes with a unilag and both of you are at par, my dear preference will given to unilag, i hv bn there&i knw. even when you are filling forms online, you will notice that unilag is alwayz listed while u will have to enter d name of ur own skool underthe others category.

the same goes to one who attended havard compared to one who went to University of Texas...name is everything! if u loose ur identity,u loose urself.
Re: UNILAG Renamed 'Moshood Abiola University' by jaidor: 3:36pm On May 29, 2012
I think MALU (Moshood Abiola Lagos University) sounds better. LMAOOOOOOo

1 Like

Re: UNILAG Renamed 'Moshood Abiola University' by toluxa1(m): 3:37pm On May 29, 2012
brabus: University of Leeds
University of Manchester
University of Edinburgh
University of Kent
University of Glasgow
University of Liverpool
University of Sheffield
University of Sussex
University of Southampton
University of Exeter
University of Nottingham
University of Bath
University of York
University of Ibadan
Moshood Abiola University
Obafemi Awolowo University
Evans Enwerem University
Abraham Adesanya University

Can't you see the sharp contrast? All the universities above are the pride of their cities and they strive to live up to the good names.

I cannot imagine Cameron changing any of the above names without due consultations. As far as in me lies, there are better ways to immortalize the dead.

If GEJ truly accept Abiola as a National HERO, he should rename 'Eagle Square' after him and not just a south-west abracadabra.

D way some Nigerians think is just ridiculous. MUST WE DO EVERYTHING LIKE THE WEST? So because there is University of Manchester, all our Universities too should follow suit. Rubbish!!! angry
Re: UNILAG Renamed 'Moshood Abiola University' by iykmora(m): 3:38pm On May 29, 2012
las_gidiboy: Dividends of democracy.. The price of aristos has been subsidized. wink

mehnnn d trade wil continue wit no hitch @all..as long as thrs stil gonna be givin and takin-show must go on..

But wait o, the new name com dey sound lyk dat tin wey dem dey drink to add more flesh as in mawu!
Re: UNILAG Renamed 'Moshood Abiola University' by brabus(m): 3:42pm On May 29, 2012
~Bluetooth:

"Fools ignore complexity. Pragmatists suffer it.
Some can avoid it. Geniuses remove it."- Alan
Perlis

What's in a name? Here's a quick test:

University of Leeds
University of Manchester
University of Edinburgh
University of Kent
University of Glasgow
University of Liverpool
University of Sheffield
University of Sussex
University of Exeter
University of Nottingham
University of Bath
University of York
University of Ibadan
Evans Enwerem University

Can you see the sharp contrast? All the universities abroad are pride of their cities. Lagos, the largest city is Africa, shouldn't be an exception.

Naming and branding a product (or an institution in this case) is difficult. A good brand name must have 7 characteristics. They should be distinctive, short, appropriate, easy to spell and pronounce, likable, extendable, and protectable.

Distinctive - University of Lagos.
Short - UNILAG
Easy to Spell - University of Lagos can be spelt by a Portuguese as far as he had basic eduction. Ask a Togolese to spell 'Moshood Kashimawo Abiola'
Easy to Pronounce - UNILAG
Likable - UNILAG babes
Easy to reference - I graduated from University of Lagos. Unlike, "I graduated from Moshood Abiola University, Lagos (formerly known as University of Lagos)

The name UNILAG has gained growing international acceptance and one retardeen shouldn't soil it. There are better ways to immortalize the dead.

- Rename Eagle Square after MKO Abiola
- Construct 4th Mainland Bridge and name it after Abiola

Hope that would be fine for now. Bros!
Re: UNILAG Renamed 'Moshood Abiola University' by brabus(m): 3:46pm On May 29, 2012
toluxa1:

D way some Nigerians think is just ridiculous. MUST WE DO EVERYTHING LIKE THE WEST? So because there is University of Manchester, all our Universities too should follow suit. Rubbish!!! angry

Maybe this would help

brabus:

Perlis

University of Leeds
University of Manchester
University of Edinburgh
University of Kent
University of Glasgow
University of Liverpool
University of Sheffield
University of Sussex
University of Exeter
University of Nottingham
University of Bath
University of York
University of Ibadan
Evans Enwerem University

Can you see the sharp contrast? All the universities abroad are pride of their cities. Lagos, the largest city is Africa, shouldn't be an exception.

Naming and branding a product (or an institution in this case) is difficult. A good brand name must have 7 characteristics. They should be distinctive, short, appropriate, easy to spell and pronounce, likable, extendable, and protectable.

Short - UNILAG
Easy to Spell - University of Lagos can be spelt by a Portuguese as far as he had basic eduction. Ask a Togolese to spell 'Moshood Kashimawo Abiola'
Likable - UNILAG babes
Easy to reference - I graduated from University of Lagos. Unlike, "I graduated from Moshood Abiola University, Lagos (formerly known as University of Lagos)

The name UNILAG has gained growing international acceptance and one retardeen shouldn't soil it. There are better ways to immortalize the dead.

Re: UNILAG Renamed 'Moshood Abiola University' by Nobody: 3:49pm On May 29, 2012
He couldn't have left the name as UNILAG and named a department after Abiola instead? UNILAG is an established university name in Nigeria, similar to the Universities of California system in the US and University of Manchester of England. Imagine those names being changed for a politician. undecided
Re: UNILAG Renamed 'Moshood Abiola University' by OzReal(m): 3:50pm On May 29, 2012
brabus:

Perlis

University of Leeds
University of Manchester
University of Edinburgh
University of Kent
University of Glasgow
University of Liverpool
University of Sheffield
University of Sussex
University of Exeter
University of Nottingham
University of Bath
University of York
University of Ibadan
Evans Enwerem University

Short - UNILAG
Likable - UNILAG babes

Tell them my brother. UNILAG for life!! Moshood what? angry I still haven't recovered from this blow. Nonsense! angry
Re: UNILAG Renamed 'Moshood Abiola University' by Akiika: 3:53pm On May 29, 2012
O Nigeria, a nation of dumba-s-s-e-s starting with the president.
Re: UNILAG Renamed 'Moshood Abiola University' by Nobody: 3:57pm On May 29, 2012
SNG Rejects How UNILAG Was Named After MKO Abiola

The Save Nigeria Group(SNG) while acknowledging the eternal place of Bashorun M.K.O Abiola, the winner of June 12 elections, in the political history of Nigeria and would want the highest possible honor done to him; deplores the indecent manner in which President Goodluck Jonathan has re-named the University of Lagos after him.

Renaming a University established by law through presidential fiat is an abuse of power which would make even the symbol of democracy turn several times in his grave as he died in the process of fighting against arbitrariness and rule of he thumb which the annulment of June 12 represented.

It is violation of the principles and tenets of democracy which government officials are celebrating to go on air to announce the renaming of an institution like the University of Lagos without any consultations with the university community in a manner reminiscent of the autocratic ways of the military brass hats who denied Abiola his victory in 1993 because they arrogated to themselves better knowledge than 14 million Nigerians who went to the polls.

This presidential misdemeanor displayed on the purported renaming of the University of Lagos without due process is at the heart of the mis-governance that has been the signature of a "democratic" president behaving like an Emperor in the last one year.

The scant regard for appropriation laws that led to the theft of N3 trillion on fuel subsidy whereas only N245 billion was appropriated, the deployment of soldiers against peaceful protesters against the law and other violations of due process in the last one year; are all signals of a dangerous mindset driving the country into a full dictatorship while pretending to a democratic order.

It is high time President Jonathan embraced a democratic mindset and stop behaving like maximum ruler.
We restate our demand that M.K.O Abiola must be given a befitting honor or the sacrifices he made for democracy in Nigeria in a decent and worthy manner.

Yinka Odumakin.

Spokesman.

Save Nigeria Group.

Source
Re: UNILAG Renamed 'Moshood Abiola University' by fluxbush(f): 4:00pm On May 29, 2012
ifeci:

u wanna get vulgar wit me,dnt u?typical of u unilag dogs.arguing wit u is becumin tiresome and useless.its jus lyk tryin to convince a boko haramist dat violence is haram.u chose to comment on the social part but deliberately ignored d lost academic glory.yet u ve d nerve to say am tinkin wit my..?i wud ve said u r tinkin wit ur dick but i knw many guys who do dt and stil reason more coherently dan u do.u r jus in a special class of ur own.am tired jare and bandying words wit an underdeveloped mind is nt on my menu.as i said earlier,if u cnt defend ur skul in a more coherent way,STFU!all u akokaites can jump into ur lagoon for al i care..
Re: UNILAG Renamed 'Moshood Abiola University' by Ilaje44(m): 4:10pm On May 29, 2012
Chinom: Now, they've made the name of the University sound like MKO himself. I could never understand him when he speaks. I mean MKO was probabaly educated but he mumbled when he spoke.If he had succeeded in being the president, he would have been our own "George Bush". He was so incoherent in his speaches. He does not deserve an institution of higher learning named after him.

Dont be silly! Do you know what that word MUMBLE or the verb TO MUMBLE means? I bet you dont. How did you expect to understand a mumbled speech? Abiola was a stammerer, yet eloquent enough to pass his message across. These children of yesterdays sha. Nonsense and ingredients...
Re: UNILAG Renamed 'Moshood Abiola University' by Nobody: 4:10pm On May 29, 2012
Please guys and gals help me out, we used to say 'Great Akokiites', with this new name, what do we call or how do we hail MAU students?

(1) (2) (3) ... (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) (16) (17) (Reply)

Abdulkadir Islamiyat Oluwatoyin, Best Graduating Doctor/Student In IUA, Sudan / Lead British School Student Bullied, Slapped By Other Students Over Boyfriend / University Of Nigeria (UNN) Direct Entry Aspirant 2014/2015 - Let's Meet Here.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 78
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.