Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,665 members, 7,813,229 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 09:04 AM

UNILAG Renamed 'Moshood Abiola University' - Education (17) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / UNILAG Renamed 'Moshood Abiola University' (37963 Views)

Anambra University Renamed After Ojukwu / I Almost Died When Jonathan Renamed Unilag – Former Unilag Vc Ibidapo-obe / Moshood Abiola Polytechnic Applicants For 2012/2013 .check In (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (14) (15) (16) (17) (18) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: UNILAG Renamed 'Moshood Abiola University' by Qrous(m): 11:42pm On May 29, 2012
u must b a joker if u agree d@ d name change is equivalent to d struggles or dividends of democracy...is Lagos state still d capital of Nigeria,is May 29 or June 12 democracy day? Or d very day MKO @ Eti-osa declared himself as d president wen INEC refused 2do so.These and many more questions are begging 4anwsers.

There is nothing to jubilate about in d declaration. It is an attempt to disunite d south-west n Nigerians as a whole.
An insult!!!
Re: UNILAG Renamed 'Moshood Abiola University' by francis247(m): 11:50pm On May 29, 2012
Nice one GEJ! Any fishbrain against this noble act should jump into the lagoon. As for the knuckleheads and shallow minded airheads blabbing about a polytechnic named after him and how this will ruin the beauty, image and prestige of the uni. I say SHAME: Nigerian universities will always be what they are. Untill quality is improved, Unilag now MAU like other Nig. Unis. will never be ranked even among top 5000 universities worldwide, it has nothing to do with the old name: OLDHAG Unilag. Before I forget, I never knew about a poly. Named after him untill now and so does many Nigerians because he was never immortalised by the FG. And as for the future soon-to-be jobless graduates protesting; they should leave the kitchen if they can't stand the heat. Once again, kudos to the FG.
Re: UNILAG Renamed 'Moshood Abiola University' by iykmora(m): 11:51pm On May 29, 2012
so sorry for you because i was part of those protestin against d annuled june 12 election. But when i read your write-up earlier, i felt nothin but pity for you. You probably do not understand the rationale behind some actions, that is why you were so quick to blab the beatiful nonsense you vomitted...i've been there and i know how stuff like this hurt. So if you want a brief lecture on history from me, just say it...
Re: UNILAG Renamed 'Moshood Abiola University' by shadrach77: 12:36am On May 30, 2012
grin grin grin

Re: UNILAG Renamed 'Moshood Abiola University' by Nobody: 7:59am On May 30, 2012
Protest has just started again.... MAUL student won't give up easily
Re: UNILAG Renamed 'Moshood Abiola University' by dmjoguns: 8:40am On May 30, 2012
GEJ and his team are siicc...k. UNILAG is an iconic brand name known all over the world; and has been built for over 50 years. How do you pull down a 50 year old legacy. That name MAU is not even fitting. Also there already exist Moshood Abiola Polytechnic (MaPoly) in ogun state. why duplicate names. let him name a National stadium after MKO. GEJ is not fit to be a president. His one year of office is full of scandal, corruption, wickedness, and terrorism.
Re: UNILAG Renamed 'Moshood Abiola University' by Nobody: 8:50am On May 30, 2012
afam4eva: Jonathan has once again broken his own recors by setting a world record for cluelessness. This has to be the dumbest decision he has ever taken since he assumed office. Can someone remind this guy that UNILAG has a history. You don't just wake up from sleep and change the name of a prestigious university that is over 50 years old. I think Jonathan is trying to sow a seed of discord in Nigeria. If you love MKO so much, why not name the new university in Otueke to MKO university. Why must it be a prestigious university like Unilag. The name of this school is what has endeared it in the minds of many propective students who see this school as one of status. How do you expect those kids to go about telling people that they attend Moshood Abiola University. People will probably think the school is located in Ikerre-Ekiti or in Akungba. Jeez.

AFAM shut up..., I said SHUT DF-UP, Yorubas think that they know how to play politics hmmm, Unilag Must be changed to MKO, aka ITT. and Nigeria must remain One tongue
Re: UNILAG Renamed 'Moshood Abiola University' by Nobody: 8:53am On May 30, 2012
LADEMINUS: Coming up...

GEJ to announce supplementary Democracy Day Broadcast...

University of Ibadan to become Lamidi Adedibu University

Naaa This will not cause any havoc, Just Name it BOLA IGE university, lets see if yorubas are united as they claim grin
Re: UNILAG Renamed 'Moshood Abiola University' by affiliade(m): 9:39am On May 30, 2012
Students at one of Nigeria's oldest universities protested a presidential announcement renaming the school yesterday, saying that while the institution has been neglected, its name is still a famous brand they want to hang on to.

Read more http://newsbreaknigeria.com/news/Nigerian+students+protest+university+name+change+-+Jamaica+Observer.
Re: UNILAG Renamed 'Moshood Abiola University' by teleny: 11:08am On May 30, 2012
This name change certainly improves the status and prestige of the university. Whether it improves the standards and infrastructure of the university is a totally different question.
Re: UNILAG Renamed 'Moshood Abiola University' by Demdem(m): 11:26am On May 30, 2012
CHESSBOARD:

AFAM shut up..., I said SHUT DF-UP, Yorubas think that they know how to play politics hmmm, Unilag Must be changed to MKO, aka ITT. and Nigeria must remain One tongue

How wil u feel if UNN was named after Ojukwu? This issue shouldn't have anything to do with politics unfortunately it isnt so
Re: UNILAG Renamed 'Moshood Abiola University' by Nobody: 12:23pm On May 30, 2012
http://chxta..com/2012/05/what-in-name.html

"What's in a name? That which we call a rose, by any other name would smell as sweet."

The words of Juliet in Shakespeare's lyrical tale of "star-cross'd" lovers are as eternal as they are true.

That my daddy named me Cheta and that I have chosen the moniker, Chxta, make no difference in my personality. We are the same person.

Thus it was that yesterday, the President of Nigeria chose to rename a federal university after a "national hero" long dead. The reaction from students of the institution was as immediate as it was brutal. Up until this moment that I type, economic activities in that part of Lagos are at an enforced standstill.

However, my view on this naming matter are simple really. If the President had wanted to rename UNILAG after Shina Rambo, it is within his rights to do so.

The question is, does he have the powers?

You see, UNILAG was established by an Act of Parliament back in 1962. This means that the President does not have the powers to change anything in that institution without the consent of the National Assembly.

What he has done, is essentially an illegality, and this is not his first time.

Back in January in the heat of the #OccupyNigeria movement, the President unilateraly reduced the salaries of all government appointees by 25%. A seemingly populist move in the face of thje overwhelming anger that greeted his government's earlier increase of fuel costs. However populist it was (and for the records, it failed to achieve the desired effect) it was steeped in illegality.

The President has no powers to make such a reduction to his own salary. That job is for the Revenue and Mobile Fiscal Allocation Committee.

...and these are not the only examples.

As for the students, I'll tackle their reaction another time. I promise.

By the way, what kind of twit changes the name of one of Nigeria's premier institutions just before their 50th year anniversary?

that would be the drinkard
Re: UNILAG Renamed 'Moshood Abiola University' by seanet02: 1:02pm On May 30, 2012
Anybody against this immortalization is an Ediot. [size=40pt]Though it will be better as Abiola University AU alias African Union[/size]
Re: UNILAG Renamed 'Moshood Abiola University' by AO2(m): 1:50pm On May 30, 2012
The renaming of Unilag after MKO Abiola is constitutionally wrong, as the National Assembly Act which created Unilag was completely ignored. Besides, why name two Tertiary Institutions after him. The motive behind the change of name is very questionable. The name unilag is a brand, an iconic name.

If Jonathan was looking for something to name after MKO, why not rename the Eagle Square in Abuja after him, as the square is synonymous with democracy.
Re: UNILAG Renamed 'Moshood Abiola University' by Toppie2(f): 5:47pm On May 30, 2012
giancarlo: undecidedNext Year University of Ibadan will become -------Lamidi Adedibu University, that will be LAU
of d greatest LAU LAU! Jhor oooooo!
Re: UNILAG Renamed 'Moshood Abiola University' by optimisty(m): 12:08am On May 31, 2012
What the hell is this our president doing -leaving important issues to address unimportant issues?

Michael Okpara, Nnamdi Azikiwe, Bayero and others of blessed memory have vasities named after them in their respective home states. Why didn't GEJ re-name or announce building of one vasity after MKO in Ogun State?

He lacks good advisers in some areas. Schools and education are in great mess in this country, and all what he cares about is change of school's name. I wonder o!!!
Re: UNILAG Renamed 'Moshood Abiola University' by damilarelr(m): 1:36am On May 31, 2012
~Bluetooth:

There used to be a university of ife until it was named after Awolowo.All you need is get use to the new nomemclature !

University of Ife was built by Awolowo, Abiola didn't build any school..
Re: UNILAG Renamed 'Moshood Abiola University' by Nobody: 8:12am On May 31, 2012
Demdem:

How wil u feel if UNN was named after Ojukwu? This issue shouldn't have anything to do with politics unfortunately it isnt so

It will never happen, because face dey fear face..... ZIK said NOOO, nobody will say yes. We have other things to name our EZE gburu-gburu, like OJUKWU NATIONAL DEFENSE ACADEMY KADUNA
Re: UNILAG Renamed 'Moshood Abiola University' by matoyeh(m): 5:03pm On May 31, 2012
femzoclem: PATIENTLY WAITING TILL THE DAY I GO HEAR SAY NIGERIA IS MOVED TO GHANA.. lolzzzz, wetin we no go see for naija smiley smiley smiley smiley smiley smiley smiley smiley smiley grin grin grin grin grin
grin grin grin grin grin grin grin
Re: UNILAG Renamed 'Moshood Abiola University' by matoyeh(m): 5:27pm On May 31, 2012
shadrach77: grin grin grin
grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin i wan die wit laugh
Re: UNILAG Renamed 'Moshood Abiola University' by Demdem(m): 8:33am On Jun 01, 2012
CHESSBOARD:

It will never happen, because face dey fear face..... ZIK said NOOO, nobody will say yes. We have other things to name our EZE gburu-gburu, like OJUKWU NATIONAL DEFENSE ACADEMY KADUNA

Zik said No and so what? Didnt the same Zik wanted one Nigeria? Why did u guys still wanted Biafra? abegii leave tori.
The same reason why UNN shouldnt be named is the same for UNILAG.
Case closed.
Re: UNILAG Renamed 'Moshood Abiola University' by jenti: 4:29pm On Jun 01, 2012
cool cool cool coolLET ALL OF US WHO WANT THIS GLORIOUS NAME "UNILAG" TO STAY SIGN THE PETITION AND TAKE ALL LEGAL AND CONSTITUTIONAL MEANS TO PURSUE OUR GOAL. OUR COURTS ARE ALIVE kiss kiss kiss kiss kiss kiss kiss
Re: UNILAG Renamed 'Moshood Abiola University' by Nobody: 5:43am On Jun 02, 2012
fluxbush: lmaooo...dude,u jus had a carryover in ur test.two extra yrs recommended.cnt even spell my name correctly.mtchewww...
what is my business with ur name? And how does being able to spell your name a yardstick for measuring my intelligence? These are the crop of half baked graduates Nigeria produces. You are obviously retar:ded frustrated and moronic. Wetin u go gain if motor jam any one of dem?
Re: UNILAG Renamed 'Moshood Abiola University' by olajide8(m): 1:47pm On Jun 02, 2012
And if, the british government, can rename "Big Ben" the symbol of London, that has been there years and years before their current Queen. So, just a school, MAU an institution created by we men! Is now bigger then a person how myopic can we be.
Re: UNILAG Renamed 'Moshood Abiola University' by fluxbush(f): 5:51pm On Jun 02, 2012
cryptic: what is my business with ur name? And how does being able to spell your name a yardstick for measuring my intelligence? These are the crop of half baked graduates Nigeria produces. You are obviously retar:ded frustrated and moronic. Wetin u go gain if motor jam any one of dem?
seriously,u r starting to piss me off...look who is calling someone half baked!!u r nt even baked at all.if spelling names isnt important to u,try misspelling ur name in an exam or interview,let me see hw far u wud go.stupid creature.try venting ur frustrations elsewhere.am nt in d mood for nitwits lyk u.if ur prob wit me is d 'motor go jam' stuff,den u beta dnt protest at all.
Re: UNILAG Renamed 'Moshood Abiola University' by Nobody: 10:55am On Jun 03, 2012
fluxbush: seriously,u r starting to piss me off...look who is calling someone half baked!!u r nt even baked at all.if spelling names isnt important to u,try misspelling ur name in an exam or interview,let me see hw far u wud go.stupid creature.try venting ur frustrations elsewhere.am nt in d mood for nitwits lyk u.if ur prob wit me is d 'motor go jam' stuff,den u beta dnt protest at all.
me protest? I can see you are psychotic. Are you not half-baked? Why deduce I am a student when you don't even know me? Get some more education and stop fooling around. kiss and what is my business with your name when it sounds crappy? I did not place emphasis on it and tht is why it was misspelt. Plus, who the hell christens their kid that kinda name? Well, if it is a nickname, sounds kinda lame though. cheesy
Re: UNILAG Renamed 'Moshood Abiola University' by fluxbush(f): 12:37pm On Jun 03, 2012
cryptic: me protest? I can see you are psychotic. Are you not half-baked? Why deduce I am a student when you don't even know me? Get some more education and stop fooling around. kiss and what is my business with your name when it sounds crappy? I did not place emphasis on it and tht is why it was misspelt. Plus, who the hell christens their kid that kinda name? Well, if it is a nickname, sounds kinda lame though. cheesy
as educated as u r,u ve never come across d word 'username',which explains y u ve a sillier name dan i do.who cares if u r a student or an omonile?instead of accepting ur mistakes,u r tryin to give excuses for it.i doubt u even knw d meaning of d words u u use.watever sha,a hapi sunday to u.
Re: UNILAG Renamed 'Moshood Abiola University' by Nobody: 1:41pm On Jun 03, 2012
fluxbush: as educated as u r,u ve never come across d word 'username',which explains y u ve a sillier name dan i do.who cares if u r a student or an omonile?instead of accepting ur mistakes,u r tryin to give excuses for it.i doubt u even knw d meaning of d words u u use.watever sha,a hapi sunday to u.
I love you!!! You have your way of just making things funny even though u can be very insultive.Anyway, I am a microbiologist, web application developer so I would not make such a dumb mistake. Anyway, in case u dont know, screen name and username can be used interchangeably. Screen name is used bulk of the time by Americans. Happy Sunday sweetheart and have a fun filled day. kiss
Re: UNILAG Renamed 'Moshood Abiola University' by fluxbush(f): 3:21pm On Jun 03, 2012
cryptic:
I love you!!! You have your way of just making things funny even though u can be very insultive.Anyway, I am a microbiologist, web application developer so I would not make such a dumb mistake. Anyway, in case u dont know, screen name and username can be used interchangeably. Screen name is used bulk of the time by Americans. Happy Sunday sweetheart and have a fun filled day. kiss
I believe i jus had my first lover on nairaland.Being insultive and funny simultaneously is a talent i worked hard to harness..ko easy gan!! wink
cryptic:
I believe i jus had my first lover on nairaland.Being insultive and funny simultaneously is a talent i worked hard to harness..ko easy gan!!
Re: UNILAG Renamed 'Moshood Abiola University' by Nobody: 3:50pm On Jun 03, 2012
fluxbush: I believe i jus had my first lover on nairaland.Being insultive and funny simultaneously is a talent i worked hard to harness..ko easy gan!! winkI believe i jus had my first lover on nairaland.Being insultive and funny simultaneously is a talent i worked hard to harness..ko easy gan!!
Lol, I completely concur. Ko easy rara. How are u doing today?
Re: UNILAG Renamed 'Moshood Abiola University' by fluxbush(f): 4:07pm On Jun 03, 2012
cryptic:
Lol, I completely concur. Ko easy rara. How are u doing today?
am doing great,though d day is quite slow...hope we r nw gud?no more attacks sha cuz me don tire.

(1) (2) (3) ... (14) (15) (16) (17) (18) (Reply)

University Of Nigeria (UNN) Direct Entry Aspirant 2014/2015 - Let's Meet Here. / Abdulkadir Islamiyat Oluwatoyin, Best Graduating Doctor/Student In IUA, Sudan / Lead British School Student Bullied, Slapped By Other Students Over Boyfriend

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 53
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.