Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,783 members, 7,820,745 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 08:38 PM

Sagay, Others Differ Over Renaming Of UNILAG In Honour Of Abiola - Politics (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Sagay, Others Differ Over Renaming Of UNILAG In Honour Of Abiola (18401 Views)

See How Pirate Confraternity Members Welcomed Nnamdi Azikiwe 2 UNILAG In 70s(pic / Picture Of Abiola, Tukur And Yaradua Back In The Days / Wole Soyinka Opposes UNILAG/MAU Renaming (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Sagay, Others Differ Over Renaming Of UNILAG In Honour Of Abiola by Wolenatural(m): 12:07am On May 30, 2012
Changing of unilag is never acceptable at all
Re: Sagay, Others Differ Over Renaming Of UNILAG In Honour Of Abiola by beatricewebb: 12:25am On May 30, 2012
even if he like let him name it shit unilag will not cease to be the best university in nigeria,am proud to be an akokite!
Re: Sagay, Others Differ Over Renaming Of UNILAG In Honour Of Abiola by BecaciaBarbie(f): 1:25am On May 30, 2012
greall1:
It good to gives prominent politician the honour
see ((Gbagaun))

1 Like

Re: Sagay, Others Differ Over Renaming Of UNILAG In Honour Of Abiola by denny4ril: 6:30am On May 30, 2012
tonymusogo: Unilag Babes now Abiola Babes=)).
Unilag FM Station now MFM =)) =)).
Unilag now Moshood Abiola University ( MAU)
50yrs of swag lost on Democracy day!

Uniport don't laff.
u r next!
Patience Ebele Jonathan University
*PEJU*=))
U don kill me with lafta here and i wan burst. UNIPORT to PEJU? No be small matter oooo
Re: Sagay, Others Differ Over Renaming Of UNILAG In Honour Of Abiola by niyitogun(m): 6:45am On May 30, 2012
danielchioboy: [color=#990000][/color]
THAT IS A WELCOME DEVELOPMENT FROM GOODLUCK EBELE JONATHAN. U HAVE D CONSTITUTIONAL RIGHT TO NAME IT WAT U DEEM FIT, ITS A FEDERAL UNIVERSITY NOT STATE.
GEJ, NOW U ARE A MAN. HATERS EAT SHIT

The only mistake he made was, he didn't carry the university council along...dosen't speak well of a democratic leader

1 Like

Re: Sagay, Others Differ Over Renaming Of UNILAG In Honour Of Abiola by niyitogun(m): 7:01am On May 30, 2012
Deep Sight:

The President is the VISITOR of the University of Lagos. From the way you write though, I doubt you will understand what that role infers.

Does that mean he can change the name without consulting the university council?, by the way unilag was brought about by an act and only the house has such powers...this is a fucking democracy
Re: Sagay, Others Differ Over Renaming Of UNILAG In Honour Of Abiola by Exponental(m): 7:02am On May 30, 2012
Confusion @ its peak!
Re: Sagay, Others Differ Over Renaming Of UNILAG In Honour Of Abiola by Exponental(m): 7:03am On May 30, 2012
GEJ, confusion @ its peak!
Re: Sagay, Others Differ Over Renaming Of UNILAG In Honour Of Abiola by 2good(m): 7:05am On May 30, 2012
It seems alot of people who are not Alumni of Unilag or current student of the University are happy or indifferent to the change of name. As an Alumni of Unilag, I will say it means alot to most of us because Unilag is a well established name within and outside Africa. For those going international in their education and career, it could play a part in determining perception by international community of their worth because it will certainly take a very long time for the new name to be recognised in the global community.
Also I think haters should leave current and ex Akokites to discuss their affairs.
Re: Sagay, Others Differ Over Renaming Of UNILAG In Honour Of Abiola by Chisustt: 7:33am On May 30, 2012
shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked

Friends, this is real.. Pls just register through mine and inbox me and i'll Verify you, and send you the latest code for increasing your money! .

REGISTER THROUGH MY LINK.. . p-r-e-l-a-u-n-c-h-x. com/x/c-h-i-s-u-s
Just Remove This Symbols '' - '' In My Link and REGISTER!

p-r-e-l-a-u-n-c-h-x. com/x/c-h-i-s-u-s

At first, you'll Receive 100dollars.. IT IS LEGIT AND DO NOT MISS THIS GOLDEN CHANCE WHILE IT LAST. Make sure you register through my link before i'll give you the code because i'll cheek. p-r-e-l-a-u-n-c-h-x. com/x/c-h-i-s-u-s .

You can also share your link to friends. '' p-r-e-l-a-u-n-c-h-x. com/x/c-h-i-s-u-s ''

Charles Okorie!
World leader in home business,
training & development.

Re: Sagay, Others Differ Over Renaming Of UNILAG In Honour Of Abiola by FBS: 7:37am On May 30, 2012
With this kind of president..I fear the country is lost. Misplaced priority. undecided
There are better ways of immortalizing MKO and he clearly deserves more than that.
GEJ could start by declaring June 12 as a national public holiday to honour MKO AND even renaming the Abuja National Stadium.

Who voted this guy in sef?
Re: Sagay, Others Differ Over Renaming Of UNILAG In Honour Of Abiola by Nobody: 7:40am On May 30, 2012
I agree with retaining ones identity, but standing up to protest against the change of name of a federal institution by the C-in-C of the country is totally absurd.(especially if he followed due process.) Is this the first time a federal university would be renamed after a Nigerian patriot.
Or how does the name change affect the standard it has, if ever it had one in the first place. instead of protesting for an improvement in our tertiary institutions, they are busy ex pending their energy on a frivolous protest. That will bring out no results.
youths of these days simply lack the ability to critically reason and compare issues before screaming foul play.
The simple question they should ask themselves is this: 'Will the name change impact their performance Or would it increase school fees or make studies more difficult?' I know our president might not have gotten some things right, but this time I can't fault him for changing the name of a school after a patriot like abiola.
Its not the first and won't be the last. make them go read their books joor........

1 Like

Re: Sagay, Others Differ Over Renaming Of UNILAG In Honour Of Abiola by Nobody: 7:55am On May 30, 2012
Some people talk of university council as if we are not all in nigeria wer due protocol is not in their dictionary.I dont tink Jonathan wud change that name back even if challenged at d court of law,they just cant win against the GCON,its just like saying you want to send babanjida to jail,you wont win.jonathan is GCON and not the edu. minister and looking at that title i tink the name is already stuck.just try to live wit it though it doesnt sound palatable like ABU,OOU,tafawa balewa and co.which sound sweet to the ear unlike MAULAG which sound like the d name of a malaria drug.d worst hit are the goodwill and recognition which would be most affected outside d country.bet u wud see a sharp decrease in UTME applicants next year,they will run to o.o.u and co.
Re: Sagay, Others Differ Over Renaming Of UNILAG In Honour Of Abiola by fortyfeet(m): 8:04am On May 30, 2012
nakedall:

the council are nobody, anyone that don't like it get a phuck out of the school and look for another job.
THANKS JOO!
RIGHT THAT SEEKS APPROVAL FROM COUNCIL IS NO RIGHT BUT PRIVILEGE. AS FOR ME, UNIVERSITY OF LAGOS IS A NATIONAL MONUMENT (INSTITUTION). SO WHY ALL THE NEGATIVE REACTIONS. THUMB UP GEJ.
Re: Sagay, Others Differ Over Renaming Of UNILAG In Honour Of Abiola by Donmeca(m): 8:04am On May 30, 2012
nyabingi: gej has finaly suceeded in keeping us bussy for atleast the next one month and i bet you the communication companies will benefit from this more, there are other things we should consign ourselves with eg nepa!!

Don't mind small-minded foools. Of all d things GEJ read out, people, even top lawyers and politicians cud only pick out UNILAG vs MAU issue. 2moro, someone will say GEJ isn't intelligent. I bet u he is! He has bn using our youths d other way round.
Re: Sagay, Others Differ Over Renaming Of UNILAG In Honour Of Abiola by Nobody: 8:06am On May 30, 2012
beatrice webb: even if he like let him name it shit unilag will not cease to be the best university in nigeria,am proud to be an akokite!
Are u sure u are 18+ or even an undergrad?.Dont you know wat goodwill is called?change Close-up's brand name to solid teeth and you'll see the sharp decrease in demand cause they feel the quality is also hampered just because it has been known and popular,it's a physological condition to feel like that and before the name gel it would take almost ages even in Nigeria.
Re: Sagay, Others Differ Over Renaming Of UNILAG In Honour Of Abiola by rexfada(m): 8:10am On May 30, 2012
But I think Abiola was liked by the ppl (esp the S.westerners)? So what's the fuss about naming the university after him, abi UNILAG too big to bear that name?
Re: Sagay, Others Differ Over Renaming Of UNILAG In Honour Of Abiola by 1121: 8:15am On May 30, 2012
honouring an hero like MKO abiola is a good move but the step was taken in a wrong direction. UNILAG is already an established name of a well known university across africa. Ranaming d new ekiti fed university or any of the international airport after MKO wouldnt have been a bad move.
It is no doubt dat GEJ is either surrounded by bunch of non-intelligent advisers or he unilaterally takes foolish decision w/o seeking thier conscent.
Re: Sagay, Others Differ Over Renaming Of UNILAG In Honour Of Abiola by Donmeca(m): 8:17am On May 30, 2012
FBS: With this kind of president..I fear the country is lost. Misplaced priority. undecided
There are better ways of immortalizing MKO and he clearly deserves more than that.
GEJ could start by declaring June 12 as a national public holiday to honour MKO AND even renaming the Abuja National Stadium.

Who voted this guy in sef?

Do u know how much d country loses on public holidays? How many public holidays do u want in Nigeria?
Re: Sagay, Others Differ Over Renaming Of UNILAG In Honour Of Abiola by Lisa1: 8:31am On May 30, 2012
It's a beauty![img]http://www.50centloseweight.com[/img]
Re: Sagay, Others Differ Over Renaming Of UNILAG In Honour Of Abiola by Tjoshua: 8:32am On May 30, 2012
Start to print recharge cards today, its easy and profitabe.

To get the printing software, call me on 0816301473 or email me at (ola.tayo@yahoo.com)
For details.
Re: Sagay, Others Differ Over Renaming Of UNILAG In Honour Of Abiola by Nobody: 8:58am On May 30, 2012
men some replies here got my ribs cracking from laughter.
So if MTN wakes up one morning and changed their name is it anybodys business, econet changed to vmobile to zain and even to Airtel people still bought their sim cards.(I know they changed owners too...)
For Christ sakes the former Unilag was under the jurisdiction of the federal govt. So if they decide to change their brand name to whatever, what concerns you. If you don't like the new name simply change schools, its not by force that you must remain there.
and let's face one truth GEJ is a politician who is simply playing politics, or na ludo una expect am to play.
Its a federal school named and renamed by the federal govt. nothing can change that. The only constant thing in life is change, and Unilag just got changed......hahahahahaha hehehehehehehehe ROTFLMAO..........una kpele....
Re: Sagay, Others Differ Over Renaming Of UNILAG In Honour Of Abiola by FBS: 9:10am On May 30, 2012
Donmeca:
Do u know how much d country loses on public holidays? How many public holidays do u want in Nigeria?
How many please? Have you any idea of what is obtainable in other countries?
If you want to immortalise someone, it should be done in the right way (consult with the people). . .definitely not in this manner.
Re: Sagay, Others Differ Over Renaming Of UNILAG In Honour Of Abiola by tessyade: 9:16am On May 30, 2012
tonymusogo: Unilag Babes now Abiola Babes=)). 
Unilag FM Station now MFM =)) =)). 
Unilag now Moshood Abiola University ( MAU)
50yrs of swag lost on Democracy day!

Uniport don't laff.
u r next! 
Patience Ebele Jonathan University 
*PEJU*=))
lol. What a funny post!
Re: Sagay, Others Differ Over Renaming Of UNILAG In Honour Of Abiola by Kay17: 9:48am On May 30, 2012
That's what you get for ignoring stakeholders. Every Akokite has an interest in the name/goodwill of the school.
Re: Sagay, Others Differ Over Renaming Of UNILAG In Honour Of Abiola by senbonzakurakageyoshi(m): 10:00am On May 30, 2012
Kingsleyinfo: men some replies here got my ribs cracking from laughter.
So if MTN wakes up one morning and changed their name is it anybodys business, econet changed to vmobile to zain and even to Airtel people still bought their sim cards.(I know they changed owners too...)
For Christ sakes the former Unilag was under the jurisdiction of the federal govt. So if they decide to change their brand name to whatever, what concerns you. If you don't like the new name simply change schools, its not by force that you must remain there.
and let's face one truth GEJ is a politician who is simply playing politics, or na ludo una expect am to play.
Its a federal school named and renamed by the federal govt. nothing can change that. The only constant thing in life is change, and Unilag just got changed......hahahahahaha hehehehehehehehe ROTFLMAO..........una kpele....

I'm sorry but you didn't think your post through.
For one, Airtel (econet, vmobile, zain etc) has never been an established brand in Nigeria. Besides, what happened weren't name changes but boardroom level changes, change of ownership. So if anything is being taken over by a new organization or owner, the new owner has the right to rename it. Besides, the company hasn't held one name for longer than four years. And look at what the regular name changes has done to it. UNILAG has had that name for about fifty years. Can airtel be said to be a true rival to MTN? Even Etisalat that is the youngest of the four mobile telecomms companies in Nigeria is a bigger rival to MTN than airtel. See the importance of a brand?
Simple economics, man.

The only constant thing in life is change? Why haven't Harvard, Yale and Cambridge changed names, if change is so constant? Do you think Obama doesn't have the right or wouldn't like to rename stuff in America? But because (1) He knows the people would probably oppose some of such changes and (2) They are mainly established brands globally, he lets things be.
Re: Sagay, Others Differ Over Renaming Of UNILAG In Honour Of Abiola by olalkn(m): 10:01am On May 30, 2012
WHICH WAY NIGERIA? WHICH WAY TO GO?
MANY MANY YEARS AFTER INDEPENDENCE,WE STILL FIND IT HARD TO START....
POSTERITY WILL JUDGE EVERYBODY THAT DOES NOT WANT THIS GREAT COUNTRY TO MOVE FORWARD.
THUNDER,OGUN,SHANGO,IFA,ORUNMILA,SOPONNNA,OSUN,WILL DESTROY EVERYBODY THAT HAS HAND IN THE BACKWARDNESS
OF THIS NATION FROM GENERATION GENERATION.....
AS MY FATHER IN HEAVEN SAID IN Numbers 14:18

We all differs in opinion on issue relating to Nigeria,we have bundles of idiots,we have well educated but stupid,
Education is not exposure or intellects,they are two different things,if you are well read but no exposure it ZERO.
Most people that are in position of governance in Nigeria are bundle of illiterates irrespective of their level of education.
How can someone just wake up and say the next to do is change the name of a great institution to the a so called political hero,MKO Abiola was not a hero to cry out loud.We all know and let history judge us.
I remember few years ago,i traveled to Canada,and i saw the level of level development in that country,i was crying,looking back to my own country.
The issue at hand is far far far beyond immotalising MKO Abiola,GEJ has no clue at all,the deep shit this country is.
NO JOB,NO SECURITY,NO POWER,NO FOOD ON THE TABLE,the country is in total mess.
We just going round and round in circle,clueless.
GEJ has started campaigning for 2015
I guess the time has come that we should stop praying for our leader,please my people start giving them serious curse every morning night,
WHICH WAY NIGERIA
Re: Sagay, Others Differ Over Renaming Of UNILAG In Honour Of Abiola by EFFRAKATA: 10:01am On May 30, 2012
Why honour someone who deprive Nigerians opportunity to enjoy telecommunication cables in our homes. Hope we have not forgotten the ITT project. May Abiola's soul rest in peace. But Nigerians will never forget that collosal denial.

God bless Nigeria!
Re: Sagay, Others Differ Over Renaming Of UNILAG In Honour Of Abiola by OCCULTIST(m): 10:15am On May 30, 2012
When another president comes he too will use presidential power to reverse it to UNILAG.SIMPLE
Re: Sagay, Others Differ Over Renaming Of UNILAG In Honour Of Abiola by jaybee(f): 10:16am On May 30, 2012
Deep Sight: If we have Obafemi Awolowo University, Tafawa Balewa University, Nnamdi Azikiwe University, Ahmadu Bello University. . . and these are all pre-eminent institutions, then it is CLEAR that the principle of naming an eminent Federal Institution after an eminent national hero is not in question. The only question is therefore the eligibility of MKO for such an honour. For that, I will not argue: history speaks: I will only say that any person who thinks MKO does not deserve such an honour is a person who is not fit to breathe the air of democratic liberty that we today SO ungratefully and hypocritically breathe. PEACE!

[size=14pt]you have swallowed the bait of gej , hook, line and sinker. how simple you are. yours is the most flawed of all logics. to take you on your simplistic way: Obafemi Awolowo, Tafawa Balewa, Nnamdi Azikiwe and Ahmadu Bello were all regional/national leaders and heroes; can you say that of MKO?[/size]

UNILAG is a big and popular brand that must be handled strategically - with care, thoughtfulness and foresight - so as not to bring down her goodwill capital and value by, senseless simplistic politics. this is not an honour to MKO. if MKO were alive he would protest this daft move by desperate non-performers.
Re: Sagay, Others Differ Over Renaming Of UNILAG In Honour Of Abiola by ruberths: 10:17am On May 30, 2012
GEJ has lost focus

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Governor Bindow Jibrilla Inside A Keke (Photos) / Fire At Kaduna State Electoral Commission Office (Photos) / "President Buhari Doesn't Read Newspapers" - Fayose

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 81
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.