Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,095 members, 7,835,697 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 01:38 PM

Sagay, Others Differ Over Renaming Of UNILAG In Honour Of Abiola - Politics (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Sagay, Others Differ Over Renaming Of UNILAG In Honour Of Abiola (18415 Views)

See How Pirate Confraternity Members Welcomed Nnamdi Azikiwe 2 UNILAG In 70s(pic / Picture Of Abiola, Tukur And Yaradua Back In The Days / Wole Soyinka Opposes UNILAG/MAU Renaming (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Sagay, Others Differ Over Renaming Of UNILAG In Honour Of Abiola by tpia5: 8:35pm On May 29, 2012
Donmeca:

I c u can only read and write without thinking to get d premise of an argument b4 including an ediotic input. Check what made me send d guy back to Google den come back and apologise for calling ya fada names. Was Harvard university named after someone? Who was that?....private or not! Den d fact that d school is private make d guy i quoted even more stoopid for putting it on d same argumentative pedestal as unilag, which belongs to d FUN.

are you alright?
Re: Sagay, Others Differ Over Renaming Of UNILAG In Honour Of Abiola by 4tune1(m): 8:45pm On May 29, 2012
LOL!. GEJ has succeded in diverting eueryone's attention from critizing his one year tenure by changing UNILAG to MAUL. But as for me ur tenure is wack.
Re: Sagay, Others Differ Over Renaming Of UNILAG In Honour Of Abiola by fluxbush(f): 8:46pm On May 29, 2012
evryone kips askin y unilag?am also askin,y nt unilag?if d skul is dt prestigious and mko abiola is dt revered,y nt unilag?
Re: Sagay, Others Differ Over Renaming Of UNILAG In Honour Of Abiola by Oluwadare: 8:50pm On May 29, 2012
Have been saying this for a while that if any leader decisions,ideas,and pronounces is being question as it is for our dear president then it's means that know one believe,trust,respect and ready to obey him in accounts of the past experience witnessed by ur people. Supposely an authoritative figure pronounced such a renamed no body would've soughting or protested 'cos you've gained their trust and respect,sincerely all i percieved in this bruhaha is that no body believe in this man ideas ain't ready to obey him for a seconds me either.
Re: Sagay, Others Differ Over Renaming Of UNILAG In Honour Of Abiola by sewhenu(m): 8:52pm On May 29, 2012
Its sad and pathetic, the president had the constitutional power to change the name, he choosed the wrong institution, UNILAG is an established brand, u dnt just change such names without sampling opinion polls...wrong move but constitutionally valid.
Re: Sagay, Others Differ Over Renaming Of UNILAG In Honour Of Abiola by poweredcom(m): 8:52pm On May 29, 2012
mko abiola: People shud learn how to respect d president office,mr president deserves respect and humilTy.wht is d big deal naming a uni afta abiola.wht abt awolowo,nmadi azikwe,michel okpara,ahmadu bello.does it change d sku curiculum or wht?some people will jus begin to typ rubbish and nonsense on nairaland.MAULAG noni.there is nothing any1 can do abt it.abiola deserve it.unilag is not biggeer dan mr president or nigeria.sorry unilag babes now MAULAG babes.MAULAG noni bro joe carry go.who no like am make he go die or jump enta 3rd mainland bridge.shikena
You go hug jonathan house transformer mugu respect who there is nothing anyone can do bout it ok na untill somebody come change your surname bird brain
Re: Sagay, Others Differ Over Renaming Of UNILAG In Honour Of Abiola by Donmeca(m): 8:57pm On May 29, 2012
yd849ja:

Harvard was an original name. It has always been called Harvard IDIOTIC CRETIN you are!

Imbecillle! It has always bn called Harvard in honour of someone. So y wud someone else change dat as u rushed to compare that with d name change of an FGN school by d same FGN dat owns it?
Re: Sagay, Others Differ Over Renaming Of UNILAG In Honour Of Abiola by snoopy(m): 8:58pm On May 29, 2012
I can see a lot of people are taking this issue the wrong way. First I start with those who say its just a name and nothing more. what is in a name? A lot is in a name. In our African setting, people assign names to their Children based on religious, philosophical or cultural affiliations and the name is believed in some cases to have a significant influence on the destiny of that child. Not a few have attributed the current political success of GEJ to his name "goodluck"
Now Unilag is more than just "a name". Its a brand identity that has been worked on for over 50 years and over this period attached class, panache and international recognition to this brand and to just wake up one morning and kill it all without recourse to the school authorities and governing council is just wrong and undemocratic! MKO abiola is a revered individual and deserves to be honoured but there are better ways of doing so and not in a manner that is in sharp contrast to his cause and recognition which the "surface motive" of this ill-adviced move is hinged on ( I call it surface motive because I see a lot of political colouration to score cheap points within).
Why would people like iyabo obasanjo-bello refuse to rescind their maiden names completely? Simply because of the brand that name has created. A name which can instantly fetch her respect and favours whenever and wherever she mentions it.
Pls its easy to judge from one angle when not on the harsh receiving end of a policy. Take time out and see things from the other angle and see if its indeed worth killing a name built for 50 years over cheap politics!

2 Likes

Re: Sagay, Others Differ Over Renaming Of UNILAG In Honour Of Abiola by Donmeca(m): 9:03pm On May 29, 2012
tpia@:

are you alright?

thought u were alright...guess i now know better. Lastly if u do hate today's pronouncement just go take poison. Of all d things in dat long address, its on unilag that's tending. When will u guys understand hoodwinking?
Re: Sagay, Others Differ Over Renaming Of UNILAG In Honour Of Abiola by sweetgala(m): 9:12pm On May 29, 2012
This oga jonasatan sef, I don't think anyone is suggesting not to honour MKO.
I don't live in Nigeria and can't claim to know much but from I have read, there is already a university dedicated to the memory of MKO and there is also a square and a street, if at all a national museum or library could have been built in his honour. How many universities in the south west can you have dedicated to one man, not even any of the founding fathers have two institutions to their name.
Re: Sagay, Others Differ Over Renaming Of UNILAG In Honour Of Abiola by vanstanzy(m): 9:31pm On May 29, 2012
playboy19: So with all these faux pas over and over, could it be that Mr Jonathan is just overly dumbb to realize that he's being pushed to do wrong all the time? Isn't it rather obvious that he's working with the wrong team? Or am I thinking too much of this man? I mean expecting too much from his dumbness? Damn, i think i'm gonna be sick.
@playboy19
Guy no sick o! No doctor to cure u o! Dem dey strike.
Re: Sagay, Others Differ Over Renaming Of UNILAG In Honour Of Abiola by Kay17: 9:36pm On May 29, 2012
Ok, GEJ messed up in the area of consultation and due process. However if we believe our heroes are worthy the prestige of our universities and cities, so be it.

However, I believe MKO is not the ideal icon of democracy. His association with the corrupt military elite, his fortune and fame were built from corruption. And in these times that is definitely not a model.

Besides the legitimacy of the election was still in the hands of the military and his resistance was common drunken power struggles seen all over Africa.
Re: Sagay, Others Differ Over Renaming Of UNILAG In Honour Of Abiola by Lillyeean(f): 9:47pm On May 29, 2012
tonymusogo: Unilag Babes now Abiola Babes=)). 
Unilag FM Station now MFM =)) =)). 
Unilag now Moshood Abiola University ( MAU)
50yrs of swag lost on Democracy day!

Uniport don't laff.
u r next! 
Patience Ebele Jonathan University 
*PEJU*=))
grin grin grin Guy u r a first class clown I cant stop laffin
*PEJU* anh...I hope it neva happens...pls dont gv dat man anymore ideas....ROTFLOL grin grin grin
Re: Sagay, Others Differ Over Renaming Of UNILAG In Honour Of Abiola by manitobor(m): 9:56pm On May 29, 2012
that new name doesn't sound cool. UNILAG sounds hip!
Re: Sagay, Others Differ Over Renaming Of UNILAG In Honour Of Abiola by daprofo: 9:57pm On May 29, 2012
Re: Sagay, Others Differ Over Renaming Of UNILAG In Honour Of Abiola by MissEZ(f): 9:59pm On May 29, 2012
timmy1999: Nice move GEJ for naming unilag after the great leader, philanstrop, the people warrior, are ona kakanfo .symbol of democracy we enjoy now
After waiting for this move all my life.what obj can't do for us yoruba. GEj did it.
GEj u just gave me a reason to vote for you for second term
Thank u GEJ..egbe omo yoruba salute you
Great moshood abiola university,lagos

You want to vote for GEJ a second term because he named UNILAG after MKO Abiola. Wow, SMH. We are praying for Nigeria o
Re: Sagay, Others Differ Over Renaming Of UNILAG In Honour Of Abiola by Kakatazz(f): 10:04pm On May 29, 2012
This is getting more interesting.What a government?No due to process was followed In a democracy Wow...
Re: Sagay, Others Differ Over Renaming Of UNILAG In Honour Of Abiola by franktolk(m): 10:08pm On May 29, 2012
In 1956 Moshood Abiola started his professional life as bank clerk with Barclays Bank plc in Ibadan, South-West Nigeria. After two years he joined the Western Region Finance Corporation as an executive accounts officer before leaving for Glasgow, Scotland to pursue his higher education. From Glasgow University he received a first class degree in accountancy. He also received a distinction from the Institute of Chartered Accountants of Scotland. On his return to Nigeria, he worked as a senior accountant at the University of Lagos Teaching Hospital (LUTH).
Re: Sagay, Others Differ Over Renaming Of UNILAG In Honour Of Abiola by Lillyeean(f): 10:15pm On May 29, 2012
franktolk: In 1956 Moshood Abiola started his professional life as bank clerk with Barclays Bank plc in Ibadan, South-West Nigeria. After two years he joined the Western Region Finance Corporation as an executive accounts officer before leaving for Glasgow, Scotland to pursue his higher education. From Glasgow University he received a first class degree in accountancy. He also received a distinction from the Institute of Chartered Accountants of Scotland. On his return to Nigeria, he worked as a senior accountant at the University of Lagos Teaching Hospital (LUTH).

LUTH..... Will now b known as MAUTH....Cool grin
Re: Sagay, Others Differ Over Renaming Of UNILAG In Honour Of Abiola by Lillyeean(f): 10:16pm On May 29, 2012
franktolk: In 1956 Moshood Abiola started his professional life as bank clerk with Barclays Bank plc in Ibadan, South-West Nigeria. After two years he joined the Western Region Finance Corporation as an executive accounts officer before leaving for Glasgow, Scotland to pursue his higher education. From Glasgow University he received a first class degree in accountancy. He also received a distinction from the Institute of Chartered Accountants of Scotland. On his return to Nigeria, he worked as a senior accountant at the University of Lagos Teaching Hospital (LUTH).

LUTH..... Will now b known as MAUTH....Cool grin C rhymes....LOL
Re: Sagay, Others Differ Over Renaming Of UNILAG In Honour Of Abiola by nyabingi(m): 10:25pm On May 29, 2012
[size=20pt]GREAT MAU MAU STUDENTS!!![/size]
Re: Sagay, Others Differ Over Renaming Of UNILAG In Honour Of Abiola by Nobody: 10:35pm On May 29, 2012
fluxbush: evryone kips askin y unilag?am also askin,y nt unilag?if d skul is dt prestigious and mko abiola is dt revered,y nt unilag?
my dear, mko is a great man. But if unilag were to be named after any one, i dont think its mko although he was a great man. The name mko does not bring to mind education but politics. Why not Babs Fafunwa instead besides, many things have already being named after mko. If they still feel like naming something else after the man, the third mainland bridge is there!
Re: Sagay, Others Differ Over Renaming Of UNILAG In Honour Of Abiola by Nobody: 10:37pm On May 29, 2012
fluxbush: evryone kips askin y unilag?am also askin,y nt unilag?if d skul is dt prestigious and mko abiola is dt revered,y nt unilag?
Re: Sagay, Others Differ Over Renaming Of UNILAG In Honour Of Abiola by baaliyah(m): 10:38pm On May 29, 2012
I grew up to know MKO as a pillar of sports in Africa. He also had a football team. In my opinion Abuja National stadium should have been named after the man.
Naming a school after him is not bad but the choice of UNILAG is good enough
Re: Sagay, Others Differ Over Renaming Of UNILAG In Honour Of Abiola by mbhs139(m): 10:48pm On May 29, 2012
Deep Sight:

The President is the VISITOR of the University of Lagos. From the way you write though, I doubt you will understand what that role infers.

Being the visitor does not make him less submissive to due process. University of Lagos was crested by an act of parliament. And it is only through the national assembly that the act can be amended.

I think most people that do not see anything wrong in this move by the president has one to two things against UNILAG. that has always be the norm anyway. I know UNILAG has a lot of enemies ... for not giving them admission.
ba_aliyah: I grew up to know MKO as a pillar of sports in Africa. He also had a football team. In my opinion Abuja National stadium should have been named after the man.
ba_aliyah: I grew up to know MKO as a pillar of sports in Africa. He also had a football team. In my opinion Abuja National stadium should have been named after the man.
Re: Sagay, Others Differ Over Renaming Of UNILAG In Honour Of Abiola by Nobody: 10:49pm On May 29, 2012
mko does not bring to mind edu though he is a great man. They could have named it Babs Fafunwa if at all they must rename it. And if they must name anything after mko today, why not the third mainland bridge?
Re: Sagay, Others Differ Over Renaming Of UNILAG In Honour Of Abiola by mbhs139(m): 10:56pm On May 29, 2012
snoopy: I can see a lot of people are taking this issue the wrong way. First I start with those who say its just a name and nothing more. what is in a name? A lot is in a name. In our African setting, people assign names to their Children based on religious, philosophical or cultural affiliations and the name is believed in some cases to have a significant influence on the destiny of that child. Not a few have attributed the current political success of GEJ to his name "goodluck"
Now Unilag is more than just "a name". Its a brand identity that has been worked on for over 50 years and over this period attached class, panache and international recognition to this brand and to just wake up one morning and kill it all without recourse to the school authorities and governing council is just wrong and undemocratic! MKO abiola is a revered individual and deserves to be honoured but there are better ways of doing so and not in a manner that is in sharp contrast to his cause and recognition which the "surface motive" of this ill-adviced move is hinged on ( I call it surface motive because I see a lot of political colouration to score cheap points within).
Why would people like iyabo obasanjo-bello refuse to rescind their maiden names completely? Simply because of the brand that name has created. A name which can instantly fetch her respect and favours whenever and wherever she mentions it.
Pls its easy to judge from one angle when not on the harsh receiving end of a policy. Take time out and see things from the other angle and see if its indeed worth killing a name built for 50 years over cheap politics!

I don't even know where to highlight in your post. I must confess, you make sense die! How I wish this could be sent to someone close to the sit of government in Abuja.

You know what, those in support of the name change, shouting what's in a name are those people that have one beef or the other with UNILAG. They want to get back at the school.
Re: Sagay, Others Differ Over Renaming Of UNILAG In Honour Of Abiola by tonymusogo: 10:58pm On May 29, 2012
Students slept in Unilag and Woke up in Moshood Abiola University, what a miracle. Nigeria President GoodLuck Jonathan is full of surprises,January 1st he gave us a New Year Gift by removing subsidy,Today Democracy Day, He Also gave us another Gift which is renaming Unilag University to Moshood Abiola University!Beware October 1st You will just hear that Nigeria has been Sold τ̅☺  China.

1 Like

Re: Sagay, Others Differ Over Renaming Of UNILAG In Honour Of Abiola by nyabingi(m): 11:00pm On May 29, 2012
gej has finaly suceeded in keeping us bussy for atleast the next one month and i bet you the communication companies will benefit from this more, there are other things we should consign ourselves with eg nepa!!

Re: Sagay, Others Differ Over Renaming Of UNILAG In Honour Of Abiola by finguy(m): 11:09pm On May 29, 2012
My own be say who dey take next jamb and u wanna choose unilag, shine ur eyes well well cos may end up at madonna university as they both now share the same acronym. MAU, MAU. Hehehe
Re: Sagay, Others Differ Over Renaming Of UNILAG In Honour Of Abiola by edicolove: 11:19pm On May 29, 2012
This is so hilarious and so cool. I like how this is exposing many SW peeps as very petty people. It is so pathetic and the rest of the country is laughing at them. So renaming UNILAG to Moshood Abiola University is now an evil thing.

Ok tell me, is it because the action was from GEJ or because Abiola doesnt deserve it?

Oh, I forgot. You said it is because he didnt follow due process. Hahahahahahaha. This is better than night of a thousand laughs! Seriously! So the president of Nigeria has to follow due process and make consultations to name or rename a federal University? Make consultations with who and take permission from who? This is really good, i must tell you. And to think these complaints are coming from those who say the president is not facing the right issues but is majoring on the minor? Now you are asking him to commit time and energy to go on consultation to rename a federal University? What was the due process like when Ife was renamed to OAU, when ABU was named or when Nnamdi Azikiwe Univerty was named?

I like how this is making our SW brothers look really petty and confused. So Abiola is not worth UNILAG being named after him? Or the naming of Unilag to MAU will reduce the academic performance of the students? Or exactly what will spoil, please tell me? This is really ridiculous and shows how petty we are as a nation and how much we cling to material and mundane stuff. Students even coming out on the streets to shamefully register their disgust at a University being named after Abiola who these same people have claimed is a real hero and symbol of democracy. wow!

And just to add that some f00l came earlier to warn that UNIBEN should not be named or the sky will fall. dunce! I am an Alumni of UNIBEN and "read my lips", UNIBEN will be renamed one day after someone deserving and nothing will happen. It will not reduced my earnings as an Alumni, it will not spoil anything except from my stup1d Nigerian ego that amounts to nothing and is the very representation of what is bedeviling this country.

2 Likes

Re: Sagay, Others Differ Over Renaming Of UNILAG In Honour Of Abiola by Dotman01(m): 11:33pm On May 29, 2012
Students slept in Unilag and Woke up in
Moshood Abiola University, what a
miracle. Nigeria President GEJ is full of
surprises, January 1st he gave us a
New Year Gift by removing subsidy,
Today Democracy Day, He Also gave us another Gift which is renaming Unilag
to Mashood Abiola University! Beware
October 1st You might just hear that
Nigeria has been Sold τ̅☺ China!=))

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Olubadan-Elect Lekan Balogun Didn't Endorse Tinubu - Olori / Seized Weapons From Maiduguri. Pictures!!! / FFK Drags South-West Governors On Response To Northern Elders Advice To Herdsmen

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 64
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.