Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,849 members, 7,810,273 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 04:14 AM

Government Rejects US Military Base In Nigeria - Politics (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Government Rejects US Military Base In Nigeria (10557 Views)

Enugu Government Rejects Grazing Reserves Bill / Buhari Rejects US Gay Marriage. / Historical Photos Of Biafran Soldiers At A Military Base Near Owerri (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Government Rejects US Military Base In Nigeria by McKren(m): 6:24pm On Nov 22, 2007
I have refused to comment on this China crase, but since you've mentioned it. The so called chinese companies, how much do they pay their staff, what kind of staff welfare policies do they have, they are worse slave drivers. I am so against our partnership with China not being strategic, we need to keep them for what we need them for and importantly keep the Americans for what we need them for. I would rather work for Exxonmobil or Chevron than a Chinese oil company, the terms of service are miles apart.

It was not me who made the above comment.

Celebrating an Exxonmobil that lift's crude oil without refining them locally does not seem like being awake from sleep either.
Re: Government Rejects US Military Base In Nigeria by buluti(m): 6:25pm On Nov 22, 2007
McKren:

When people have invested so much money to site factories, business is booming, profit margin is high,

Government will periodically increase minimum wage little by little until it gets to world class standard. That is how it is done.

Why do most UK and US manufacturers produce in china? Cheap labour!!!!
And the country is better for it.

You have clearly contradicted your self, if the chinese has cheap labour why does he need to come to Nigeria. You have said the UK and US have chosen to sight their factories in China, so why should the chinese sight his factory in Nigeria, obviously for resources, then why should he pay you more than he pays his own citizen at home. Doesnt this also suggest that you are in competition with China as well.

When he knows your legal framework and enforcement is weaker than his own, he is not known to be of impeccable character, so how does your setting a minimum wage help YOU. If his own values are almost as weak as ours in certain areas then who is gaining??

McKren:

It was not me who made the above comment.

Celebrating an Exxonmobil that lift's crude oil without refining them locally does not seem like being awake from sleep either.

What are you on about, did you read my statement. I was talking of the partnership, the comparison using salaries was to highlight who's gaining in the relationship. Did we ask Exxon to refine. And come to think of it, comparing like for like Western firms are better. Please theres no arguement there, an american firm values its workforce, be it manufacturing, drilling or whatever.
Re: Government Rejects US Military Base In Nigeria by Iman3(m): 6:51pm On Nov 22, 2007
Don't dig into anything. People like you have been conditioned to close their eyes to Truth and when truth comes in subtle forms it makes it easier for your ilk to deny it entirely.

There is something wholly laughable at the idea of a Nigerian mocking Japan.Is our nation any better than Japan?You don't have electricity,pipe-borne water,universal education. . . . . .and you are calling Japan capitalist slaves.
Re: Government Rejects US Military Base In Nigeria by Kobojunkie: 7:11pm On Nov 22, 2007
buluti:

You have clearly contradicted your self, if the chinese has cheap labour why does he need to come to Nigeria. You have said the UK and US have chosen to sight their factories in China, so why should the chinese sight his factory in Nigeria, obviously for resources, then why should he pay you more than he pays his own citizen at home. Doesnt this also suggest that you are in competition with China as well.

When he knows your legal framework and enforcement is weaker than his own, he is not known to be of impeccable character, so how does your setting a minimum wage help [b]YOU. If his own values are almost as weak as ours in certain areas then who is gaining??[/b]

What are you on about, did you read my statement. I was talking of the partnership, the comparison using salaries was to highlight who's gaining in the relationship. Did we ask Exxon to refine. And come to think of it, comparing like for like Western firms are better. Please theres no arguement there, an american firm values its workforce, be it manufacturing, drilling or whatever.

good point!
Re: Government Rejects US Military Base In Nigeria by ayanfe(m): 10:25pm On Nov 22, 2007
buluti:

There is NO competition with China. Only because you have clearly misunderstanding international economics:

(1) Development and maintaining development depends on resources, manpower, and manufacturing power.

Western development and maintaining development depends on African resources, Chinese [/b]manpower and [b]Western and Chinese manufacturing.

So the bulk of Chinese labor and manufacturing driving Chinese growth that is often talked about is serving Western needs and they are earning currency from such. They also gain technology transfer from the West. The West has never used Africa for manufacturing outsourcing.

So what about Chinese development, now that we have established that their growth is driven by manufacturing services for the west?

Chinese development and maintainance of development depends on : ---------- resources, -------------- manpower and ------------- and ---------------- manufacturing power.

The Chinese strategy seems to be to use African resources, Chinese manpower and manufacturing , BUT to include African manpower and manufacturing power. NOTE that china intends to CREATE industrial centers all over Africa, including Nigeria. WHEN did Western nations ever plan to create industrial centers in Nigeria/

By including African manpower and manufacturing, the Chinese are killing two birds with a stone, offering a better deal to secure African resources, while at the same time drawing on African manpower to attain development Note that the required rate of development China seeks CANNOT be achieved by Chinese resources or manpower alone. Africa is capitalizing on the Chinese market, NOT Western markets which have effectively closed their doors on us.

AFRICA WINS IN THIS SET UP. WE GAIN TECHNOLOGY TRANSFER from the INDUSTRIAL CENTERS CHINA SETS UP IN AFRICA AND WE TOO CAN IN TURN USE THE TRANSFER TO AID OUR DEVELOPMENT. THAT IS WHY A DECISION BY NIGERIA NOT TO WELCOME MILITARY INSTALLATIONS IN OR AROUND NIGERIA THAT CAN THREATEN CHINESE DEVELOPMENT IN AFRICA IS AN EXCELLENT AND RESOUNDING CHOICE. THE BEST CHOICE EVER AND CONGRATULATIONS TO NIGERIA!

Not when these firms FAIL to pay taxes, have indulged in negligent activities against Niger Deltans and in some instances been part of the plan to kill Nigerian villagers. I assume you are also not Nigerian too.
Re: Government Rejects US Military Base In Nigeria by ayanfe(m): 10:37pm On Nov 22, 2007
I-man:

There is something wholly laughable at the idea of a Nigerian mocking Japan.Is our nation any better than Japan?You don't have electricity,pipe-borne water,universal education. . . . . .and you are calling Japan capitalist slaves.

Whether Nigeria is an ant next to Japan, the topic is whether or not Africom in our around Nigeria is in our interest. With a dearth of logical points to counter the excellent decisions made by Nigeria to reject Africom, your indulgence in mockery is predictable.
Re: Government Rejects US Military Base In Nigeria by ayanfe(m): 10:41pm On Nov 22, 2007
See the post below.
Re: Government Rejects US Military Base In Nigeria by ayanfe(m): 10:46pm On Nov 22, 2007
Deleted
Re: Government Rejects US Military Base In Nigeria by Iman3(m): 10:47pm On Nov 22, 2007
ayanfe:

Western development and maintaining development depends on African resources, Chinese [/b]manpower and [b]Western and Chinese manufacturing.

The premise of your posts is obviously wrong.Western development doesn't depend on African resources.Africa's share in global trade,and this includes the Arab North,is about 2%.Western trade with Africa is only a negligible part of the West's entire trade relations.

The Chinese strategy seems to be to use African resources, Chinese manpower and manufacturing , BUT to include African manpower and manufacturing power. [b]NOTE that china intends to CREATE industrial centers all over Africa, including Nigeria. [/b]WHEN did Western nations ever plan to create industrial centers in Nigeria/

The key word here is "intends".This is mere sorcery.Nobody can say with any certainty what the Chinese actually intend to do.One point is however clear.The Chinese are driven by a realist and pragmatist approach.They do what is most economically feasible.

If industrial centres in Africa are economically viable,China will invest,if not,they won't.But so will the rest of the world.Multi-national corporations invest where they are confident they will get adequate returns on their investment,those corporations might be Chinese or Western,its irrelevant which national origins they have.

So China does not engage in acts of altruism.It will only invest where it can make a return.Africa lacks an industrial base because the economic environment is harsh for the manufacturing industry.This has nothing to with outsiders.No outsider will come and fix our problems for us unless the business climate changes.

In the past,we had lots of partnerships with Western companies-Peugeout in Kaduna,Volkswagen,Steyr,Daimler,e.t.c.The first refinery in Nigeria was built by Shell.Most of these collapsed under a harsh operating environment. If this isn't addressed,don't expect China to build your imagined industrial centres.If it addressed,not only will China come in,but the whole world will come anyway rendering redundant,the suggestion that China offers some unique advantages in our quest for industralisation
Re: Government Rejects US Military Base In Nigeria by Iman3(m): 10:58pm On Nov 22, 2007
ayanfe:

Whether Nigeria is an ant next to Japan, the topic is whether or not Africom in our around Nigeria is in our interest. With a dearth of logical points to counter the excellent decisions made by Nigeria to reject Africom, your indulgence in mockery is predictable.

You seem to be unable to follow an argument.Let me summarise for your slow paced mind:

US bases in foreign countries were criticized as merely attempts to exploit local resources.To which there was a retort that this hasn't been the case in countries that have hosted US bases for a long time,e.g Japan and S.Korea.Ziddy dismissed Japan as "capitalist slaves".The irony in a Nigeria dismissing Japan was not lost on me.

There,in a nutshell,is the context of the debate.What is there not to mock?A citizen of a country with no respect for its citizen's human rights,no power supply,water,universal health care or education,is lampooning Japan as a capitalist slave.
Re: Government Rejects US Military Base In Nigeria by ayanfe(m): 11:00pm On Nov 22, 2007
I-man:

The premise of your posts is obviously wrong.Western development doesn't depend on African resources.Africa's share in global trade,and this includes the Arab North,is about 2%.Western trade with Africa is only a negligible part of the West's entire trade relations.

Deceptive statistics.

a) How much of those 2% is natural resources a.k.a African resources?

b) 98% is between who and who? Come on now. Besides "West to rest of developing world trade", the 98% also includes China to India, India to Malaysia, China to Middle East, China to Russia, South America to India, Russia to South America.

The key word here is "intends".This is mere sorcery.Nobody can say with any certainty what the Chinese actually intend to do.One point is however clear.The Chinese are driven by a realist and pragmatist approach.They do what is most economically feasible.

Actually China IS building industrial center in Nigeria.

http://news.xinhuanet.com/english/2006-05/12/content_4539373.htm

From the article:

Lekki FTZ project, being the first of its kind the Chinese government has ever built abroad, will be carried out in three phases. The first-phase will covers an area of 15 sq. km with the Chinese side investing 200 million US. dollars and the Nigerian side 67 million dollars. Upon its completion in 2009, the phase-I project will see an industrial park highlighted by light industry,textiles, building materials, household electric appliances, communications, machine processing and building as well as real estate and gardening building.

The phase-II and Phase-III projects, will cover 150 sq. km with a total investment of 5 billion dollars, focusing on heavy industry manufacturing, chemicals, petroleum processing, pharmaceuticals, automobiles, logistics, import/export businesses,deep-water port, tourism, real estate, education, banking and finance, among others.

"Our goal is to turn the Lekki FTZ into a new, vigorous and multiple-functional international satellite town of Lagos," Chen said.

If industrial centres in Africa are economically viable,China will invest,if not,they won't.

What? Read the news. They have invested:

But so will the rest of the world.Multi-national corporations invest where they are confident they will get adequate returns on their investment,those corporations might be Chinese or Western,its irrelevant which national origins they have.

Western interests cannot seem to balance the drive for profit with a baggage of prejudice!

So China does not engage in acts of altruism.It will only invest where it can make a return.Africa lacks an industrial base because the economic environment is harsh for the manufacturing industry.This has nothing to with outsiders.No outsider will come and fix our problems for us unless the business climate changes.

No one is saying they are altruistic. Where did I say that? But if in their chase for self-interests, we gain technology transfer and capital then I welcome that kind of self-interest.

In the past,we had lots of partnerships with Western companies-Peugeout in Kaduna,Volkswagen,Steyr,Daimler,e.t.c.The first refinery in Nigeria was built by Shell.Most of these collapsed under a harsh operating environment. If this isn't addressed,don't expect China to build your imagined industrial centres.If it addressed,not only will China come in,but the whole world will come anyway rendering redundant,the suggestion that China offers some unique advantages in our quest for industralisation

How many of those "partnerships" served markets outside Nigeria?

Again your inability to read news does not make my Chinese industrial center imaginary. Here is a clue for you:

From the article:

Lekki FTZ project, being the first of its kind the Chinese government has ever built abroad, will be carried out in three phases. The first-phase will covers an area of 15 sq. km with the Chinese side investing 200 million US. dollars and the Nigerian side 67 million dollars. Upon its completion in 2009, the phase-I project will see an industrial park highlighted by light industry,textiles, building materials, household electric appliances, communications, machine processing and building as well as real estate and gardening building.

The phase-II and Phase-III projects, will cover 150 sq. km with a total investment of 5 billion dollars, focusing on heavy industry manufacturing, chemicals, petroleum processing, pharmaceuticals, automobiles, logistics, import/export businesses,deep-water port, tourism, real estate, education, banking and finance, among others.

"Our goal is to turn the Lekki FTZ into a new, vigorous and multiple-functional international satellite town of Lagos," Chen said.
Re: Government Rejects US Military Base In Nigeria by Iman3(m): 11:21pm On Nov 22, 2007
ayanfe:

Deceptive statistics.

a) How much of those 2% is natural resources a.k.a African resources?

b) 98% is between who and who? Come on now. Besides "West to rest of developing world trade", the 98% also includes China to India, India to Malaysia, China to Middle East, China to Russia, South America to India, Russia to South America.

a) Your initial premise was that the West's development depends on African resources.That's patently false.Our share of global trade is negligible.The West does not survive on that 2% component of global trade.

b)What has the rest of the developing world to do with your claim that Africa's resources are the pillars of Western development.If that is the case,these resources also are the pillars of the entire world's development,for China ,India and the Asian Tigers depend on the West's export market and the West itself,according to you,depends on Africa.So the world depends on Africa grin I wonder who Africa depends on,is it Western trading customers who are the source of the bulk of Africa's revenues?

In regards to the question of industrialisation.I guess one planned industrial centre in Lekki,settles the debate as to whether China offers any unique advantage in Africa's quest for industrialisation. Almost all of the foreign investment in manufacturing in Africa has come from the West,how China offers anything different other than an addition to our list of future potential investors is yet to be explained.
Re: Government Rejects US Military Base In Nigeria by doyin13(m): 11:40pm On Nov 22, 2007
@ayanfe

Remember the maxim about putting one's eggs in just one basket. . .don't
Re: Government Rejects US Military Base In Nigeria by Iman3(m): 12:00am On Nov 23, 2007
ayanfe:

There is NO competition with China.

I missed this comment.China is in a unique position in that not only does it compete in high-tech industries with the developed world,it also competes in low tech labour intensive industries.Mauritius for example,one of Africa's most prosperous economies,has suffered as a result of China's competition in the textile industry.

China's interest in Africa is mainly resources, isolated examples of planned industrial investment doesn't negate this.China is different from the West in the sense that many Western economies are essentially consunmer driven.Domestic consumption makes up 70% of the US economy.China thrives on acting as a low-cost manufacturing base for the Western world,this often means that they would be in competition with any developing nation trying to industrialise.The unique selling point of developing nations is their low wages,that is also China's unique advantage,apart from a large domestic market.
Re: Government Rejects US Military Base In Nigeria by doyin13(m): 12:03am On Nov 23, 2007
I-man:

The unique selling point of developing nations is their low wages,that is also China's unique advantage,apart from a large domestic market.

The fact that they compete with us is further compounded by their almost miserly consumption. They hardly spend their moner. . . angry angry angry
Re: Government Rejects US Military Base In Nigeria by Iman3(m): 12:14am On Nov 23, 2007
doyin13:

The fact that they compete with us is further compounded by their almost miserly consumption. They hardly spend their moner. . . angry angry angry

I think that is changing and will further improve with time as their economy continues to expand and income begins to rise for ordinary citizens.One feature of China is this,because its a dictatorship,its able to keep wages artificially low.There is nothing like actual trade unions in China.They can keep wages artificially low for a long time,thus suppressing domestic consumption and thus imports while maintaining its advantage as a highly competitive exporter.

Also,most of China's manufacturing base has been in Eastern China where wages are now much higher than in the West.As China proceeds to move industries to Western China,where wages are incredibly low,they will be able to maintain their advantages for some time to come

The great advantage China offers Africa is that China's rise has fueled a commodities boom and African economies,largely commodities based,have found a new lucrative market for its commodities.The problem is that this might confine Africa to a commodities-dependent economy.

Ultimately,whether Africa industrialises or not depends on the policies adopted by African countries.It won't depend on the policies of outside powers.
Re: Government Rejects US Military Base In Nigeria by buluti(m): 12:16am On Nov 23, 2007
@ ayanfe, quite unfortunate, i couldnt take you on post by post.

Your knowledge of international economics (if any) is in the opposite direction of empirical evidence. The Asian tigers success including China was majorly due to stable socio-political and ecomonic stability, which Africa hitherto could not guarantee, thats partly the reason why the west didnt consider Africa a destination, wars and particularly social unrest not necessarily democracy.

Your postulation of African resources, China Manpower and western and china technology is vodoo economics. The competition is clear and evident but unfortunately you can't see it, the absoulute/comparative advantage China started with (cheap labour) you partly possess, so then when you are able to achieve stability, why should the West expand to Africa, and I-man has already shown you the other part.

So you truely believe China will develop Nigeria, did the West develop China or they did it themselves, wake up mate no one will develop Nigeria, it will have to come from us, investors alike (including China) seem to be coming now because of the stability, why didnt China come during the military regimes. Nigeria will be developed by Nigerians. Short memories what happened to the railway contract awarded to the Chinese company, its up and running in the lagoon.

Finally you think the Chinese will pay you taxes, and not manipulate your system, you really don't understand the people you are dealing with. I am not saying there could be no gain in any relationship with China, but am saying we face the same risk of loosing out, if we don't dictate the pace, it will just be the same loss.
Re: Government Rejects US Military Base In Nigeria by buluti(m): 12:25am On Nov 23, 2007
I-man:

Ultimately,whether Africa industrialises or not depends on the policies adopted by African countries.It won't depend on the policies of outside powers.

Gbam, you have said it all, for those looking for messiahs, nobody will build Nigeria for Nigeria. In short no one will help us if we don't force their hand.

You analogy on a commodity Africa is so real if we are not careful, the only thing the world will need us for is the so called commodities (Oil on top of the list).

Thread don turn to Chinese thread, from AFRICOM. cheesy
Re: Government Rejects US Military Base In Nigeria by Kobojunkie: 12:38am On Nov 23, 2007
buluti:

Gbam, you have said it all, for those looking for messiahs, nobody will build Nigeria for Nigeria. In short no one will help us if we don't force their hand.
You analogy on a commodity Africa is so real if we are not careful, the only thing the world will need us for is the so called commodities (Oil on top of the list).

Thread don turn to Chinese thread, from AFRICOM. cheesy
Re: Government Rejects US Military Base In Nigeria by denex: 12:38pm On Nov 23, 2007
@I-man

you have started spreading complete and utter fallacies this early again? What goes on in your head when you spit these lies?

1) Africa's share of global trade is 2%. Do you forget that trade between African nations also exists? Have you all of a sudden forgotten the claim that Africa spends billions fighting wars annually? Is all that too not part of global trade? Do you not remember that Nigeria and most other African countries import almost all the finished goods they consume? Do you realise how many brand new automobiles were imported to Nigeria in 2007 by Toyota alone? Please get your facts straight and stop vomiting figures of ignorance.

2) China runs a dictatorship. Where do you get this kind of talk from? Must the Chinese Government build a Statue Of Liberty before you agree that they are under a democracy? I'm sure you have a very myopic definition of the word democracy, so let's hear it.
Re: Government Rejects US Military Base In Nigeria by magicj(m): 1:27pm On Nov 23, 2007
ON COURSE

the truth is that Americans are afraid of another world power taking over from them soon,they need to infritate other nation under the disguise of terrorism sothat they can monitor all other country activities, we have a history, in the 70s, the situation also came un Bord and the student rejectted it, now that its up now, we should not allow it, thanks.

Also, American started terrorism, they use people in different coUNtry to un-sit, any body that failed to protect their interest as the president of the country, now that people are wise they want to make amend,African are where we are because they put us their,they dictate what we need to do for us,but the truth is terrorism is bad, but we don't need their present before it can be check.
Re: Government Rejects US Military Base In Nigeria by Kobojunkie: 2:39pm On Nov 23, 2007
denex:

@I-man

you have started spreading complete and utter fallacies this early again? What goes on in your head when you spit these lies?

1) Africa's share of global trade is 2%. Do you forget that trade between African nations also exists? Have you all of a sudden forgotten the claim that Africa spends billions fighting wars annually? Is all that too not part of global trade? Do you not remember that Nigeria and most other African countries import almost all the finished goods they consume? Do you realise how many brand new automobiles were imported to Nigeria in 2007 by Toyota alone? Please get your facts straight and stop vomiting figures of ignorance.

2) China runs a dictatorship. Where do you get this kind of talk from? Must the Chinese Government build a Statue Of Liberty before you agree that they are under a democracy? I'm sure you have a very myopic definition of the word democracy, so let's hear it.

CHINA HAS NEVER BEEN A DEMOCRACY. ASk any Chinese Person you meet on the streets of Nigeria. China is not ruled and does not plan to switch to democratic rule anytime soon. Show Factual information please. It is ruled by a Communist party hence the reason why it is refered to every now and then as COMMUNIST CHINA.

http://www.chinatoday.com/gov/a.htm

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chinese_democracy_movement

When it comes to global trade, Africa's share of the market is still lowest compared to trade from other continents. And that includes all those things you listed up there. Infact, some African countries country get more in AIDS/grants from other countries than they actually get in exchange of goods. That is why Africa is still referred to as the poorest continent. On the other hand, China and India are expected to grab about 80% of the world market.

http://www.ifpri.org/pubs/ib/rb07.pdf

http://www.imf.org/external/pubs/ft/fandd/1996/12/pdf/yeats.pdf

http://allafrica.com/stories/200711200915.html
Re: Government Rejects US Military Base In Nigeria by Iman3(m): 2:55pm On Nov 23, 2007
denex:

@I-man

@denex

You are a complete idiot!My claims are only one google search away from verification.Here are excerpts and links you can peruse:

The first problem with regard to trade is about size. Africa's share of global trade is hardly 2 per cent. But it is not only about size, it is also about content.
-Source[url]http://www.africa-union.org/VISITS/Tanzania%20Pdt%2031aug05/SPEECH%20BY%20THE%20PRESIDENT%20OF%20THE%20UNITED%20REPUBLIC%20OF%20TANZANIA.htm[/url]
Re: Government Rejects US Military Base In Nigeria by Iman3(m): 3:10pm On Nov 23, 2007
In 1950, Africa's share was 10 percent, but today her share hovers at less than three percent.

http://www.globalpolicy.org/socecon/develop/africa/2007/0924aidfortrade.htm

Africa's share of global exports now stands at only 2 percent, half of what it was 25 years ago.

http://allafrica.com/stories/200711140151.html

No region has been as marginalized in the world economy as sub-Saharan Africa, which has seen its share of world trade slip to just 2.1 per cent in 1998,

http://www.un.org/ecosocdev/geninfo/afrec/vol14no1/unctad.htm
Re: Government Rejects US Military Base In Nigeria by skyone(m): 3:12pm On Nov 23, 2007
@Kobojunkie or garbage or whatever

I've read most of your posting and i've come to my conclusion that you are dying of ignorance. You have lost it when it comes to international politics, i advise you educate and broaden your horizon on this level.

America will not spend their ceilings where there's no higher return of it. Every where there's american military base there's an interest that seals it up. i.e Germany, US has remain there since the end of 2nd world war to monitor any pro-german advances and to destroy their economy which they've now succeeded somehow, as per middle-east, even my nephew knows why they are there, he was informed at his school here in Essex; they are simply there for [b](i) so called middle east peace, so that there will be easy trade of oil (ii) To monitor Russians and China of selling amunitions to the arabians. i can go on and on.[/b]

Now they want Nigeria, common open your mind and think, of course another crafty move, why not Togo, Senegal or Gambia. So stop doing alright sir for the American.

Nice one to Niger, we need economic empowerment not another demilitaryrized zone.
Re: Government Rejects US Military Base In Nigeria by Iman3(m): 3:16pm On Nov 23, 2007
skyone:

America will not spend their ceilings where there's no higher return of it. Every where there's american military base there's an interest that seals it up. i.e Germany, US has remain there since the end of 2nd world war to monitor any pro-german advances and to destroy their economy which they now succeeded somehow,

So the US destroyed the German economy? shocked grin grin
Re: Government Rejects US Military Base In Nigeria by Iman3(m): 3:19pm On Nov 23, 2007

My guy,you are a slowpoke.How can you call a one-party state anything other than a dictatorship?How would you feel if PDP was the only party in Nigeria,and no other party could be formed?

Do the Chinese people vote for their leaders?You have a very idiotic world view.
Re: Government Rejects US Military Base In Nigeria by skyone(m): 3:20pm On Nov 23, 2007
@ 2-man

abi u never hear that one! cool
Re: Government Rejects US Military Base In Nigeria by doyin13(m): 3:23pm On Nov 23, 2007
@skyone

I don't know why there is so much apprehension against some form of American presence.

The reason why Arabs in the middle east are up in arms about American presence in their midst is largely
for religious reasons and not for economic reasons.

If American presence in Africa will lead to more trade with the Americans then it has to be welcomed as long as they
are willing to pay a fair price for it.

If anything the only unfair practice in the oil business is the operation of the OPEC cartel rather than American activity to
protect supplies it is prepared to pay a fair price for.

This a priori antagonism against American presence is frankly a bit childish. . .
Re: Government Rejects US Military Base In Nigeria by Kobojunkie: 3:28pm On Nov 23, 2007
skyone:

@Kobojunkie or garbage or whatever

I've read most of your posting and i've come to my conclusion that you are dying of ignorance. You have lost it when it comes to international politics, i advise you educate and broaden your horizon on this level.

America will not spend their ceilings where there's no higher return of it. Every where there's american military base there's an interest that seals it up. i.e Germany, US has remain there since the end of 2nd world war to monitor any pro-german advances and to destroy their economy which they've now succeeded somehow, as per middle-east, even my nephew knows why they are there, he was informed at his school here in Essex; they are simply there for [b](i) so called middle east peace, so that there will be easy trade of oil (ii) To monitor Russians and China of selling amunitions to the arabians. i can go on and on.[/b]

Now they want Nigeria, common open your mind and think, of course another crafty move, why not Togo, Senegal or Gambia. So stop doing alright sir for the American.

Nice one to Niger, we need economic empowerment not another demilitaryrized zone.

The fact that instead of focusing on the topic at hand, you jump to attacking my person reveals a lot about your person. Are you sure I am the ignorant one here?? All you have done so far is spew the same rhetoric we have been spewing in africa for decades now and has yet to move us and the whole of africa anywhere but down. Show me how the so called fall of the german economy you claim is because of the USA and then show us how come the same trend is not being seen in places like Saudi Arabia, Japan and even the UK because of this OR IS IT ?. If you actually spent time reading my posts, you would see that I am not for people spewing the same old imagining crock of bull that has made many Nigerians so paranoid and easy to take advantage of, but for people doing actual research and presenting information to convince us of what is reality from what is fiction.

Please try that and maybe we will actually discuss or I will accept you are just another drive-by-NAMECALLER with nothing valuable to offer but delusions!!!
Re: Government Rejects US Military Base In Nigeria by Iman3(m): 3:33pm On Nov 23, 2007
@skyone

There are US military bases in the UK and none in Nigeria,so why did you and your cousin migrate to this country instead of staying in Nigeria where there are no US bases?Presumably,the economy should be stronger in Nigeria than the UK.
Re: Government Rejects US Military Base In Nigeria by doyin13(m): 3:41pm On Nov 23, 2007
After all is said and done though, I think there are good arguments that can be offered against
the siting of an American base in Nigeria.

The most obvious being the kaleidoscopic ethnic composition of Nigeria.

In the event of internal conflict, God Forbid, the involvement of a foreign power might prove even more
incendiary.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Constant Power Supply? Whats The Cause? / FG Bans Private TV Stations Camera From ASO Rock Events / Police Exhume Student’s Corpse For Autopsy

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 118
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.