Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,649 members, 7,809,453 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 09:55 AM

Government Rejects US Military Base In Nigeria - Politics (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Government Rejects US Military Base In Nigeria (10555 Views)

Enugu Government Rejects Grazing Reserves Bill / Buhari Rejects US Gay Marriage. / Historical Photos Of Biafran Soldiers At A Military Base Near Owerri (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Government Rejects US Military Base In Nigeria by McKren(m): 8:12pm On Dec 14, 2007
it looks as if some of us draw conclusions from headlines.

Read the bits in quote and see if Yaradua said anything new

Even Nigeria's foreign Minister's statement is even more definitive on Nigeria's stance on this issue.

So why the laughter in Latin, well am already laughing in Igbo language
Re: Government Rejects US Military Base In Nigeria by RichyBlacK(m): 8:17pm On Dec 14, 2007
ziddy:

@ Kobojunkie

you and your fellow white-supremacists need to stay away from this site if you're never going to see or say anything good about the continent, because I've noticed all your posts are always tilted to the angle of how the US. holds the panacea for all of Africa's evils and all that stuff.

@ziddy, your observation is 100% accurate. Kobojunkie is the head of the "I like America pass my papa and mama" group on Nairaland. They'll say or do anything to support America, except of course going to fight here senseless wars in various parts of the globe - no liver to fight, plenty mouth to yarn rubbish!
Re: Government Rejects US Military Base In Nigeria by buluti(m): 8:30pm On Dec 14, 2007
President Umaru Musa Yar’Adua yesterday at the White House in Washington, D.C., United States (US) stated that Nigeria would partner the US/AFRI-CA Command (AFRICOM) on security on the continent.
The Council of States of which the President is Chairman, recently voiced opposition to the command.
Minister of Foreign Affairs, Chief Ojo Maduekwe, who is part of the President’s delegation to the US had himself stated that Nigeria would not support the presence of US troops on African soil under the auspices of AFRICOM.
But at a press briefing at the Oval Office, with President George W. Bush in attendance, Yar’Adua made known his new position.
“We have discussed on security issues, security within Nigeria, the Niger Delta, the Gulf of Guinea and peace and security on the African continent. We shall partner  AFRICOM to assist not only Nigeria but also the African continent to actualise its peace and security initiatives. It is an initiative to have standby forces in each of the regional economic groupings in Africa,” said the President.
The President did not give details of the discussion on AFRICOM, such as whether Nigeria will be used as the Command’s base, an issue that has emerged contentious in recent times.
But his support at the White House was a clear departure from the leaning of his administration on the issue.
Nigeria’s acceptance of the command is capable of influencing other African countries.
The President said the “friendship and understanding” of the US government is important to Nigeria.
Nigeria’s friendship with the US, according to him, would help the country transform itself from an “underdeveloped nation” to a free market economy.
He noted that issues of democracy and the rule of law, HIV/Aids, malaria, education were discussed during his meeting with Bush.
The US is committed to assisting Nigeria uphold democracy and build a vibrant economy, he remarked.
Yar’Adua restated his government’s commitment to transparency, accountability, and a society free of corruption.
He told the audience that he briefed Bush on Nigeria’s effort towards a credible electoral process and the principles of equity and justice.
These principles, he argued, would be the basis for building a free society.
“I am highly honoured and privileged to be here. I will never forget this moment in my life. I have briefed Mr. President on the situation in Nigeria and our efforts to anchor democracy on the rule of law, to have a credible electoral process and to ensure that the principles of justice, equity will guide the conduct of affairs in Nigeria.
“Transparency, accountability and the fight against corruption and Mr President has expressed his support to assist Nigeria to ensure that we continue to uphold democracy and the rule of law, zero tolerance on corruption and the development of a free market economy through economic reforms,” he said.
He said further:“This will set the principles upon which we build a free society, capable of growing an economy that will cater for the development and needs of the people of Nigeria. In this great effort we are making, we find great friendship and assistance from the government and people of the United States. We are very grateful for this expression of support.
Bush had lofty words for President Yar’Adua.
“Mr President, I am impressed by your commitment to reform, your adherence to the concept of the rule of law and your efforts on transparency. Congratulations on being a strong leader.
“We also talked about social justice issues and the issue of education. The President is committed to compulsory education throughout the country. I admire that and we want to help him,” he stated.
The US President said it was in his country’s national interest to assist Nigeria from a security and moral perspective.
On HIV/Aids, he acknowledged that Yar’Adua, during their discussions, showed that he was committed to helping Nigerian families affected by way of making anti-retroviral drugs available.
“We are proud you’re here, I welcome you, thank you for your time and your heart,” Bush said.
Ahead of the Yar’Adua, Bush meeting, a US senator, Russ Feingold, had written to Bush emphasising the need for “demonstrable progress in critical government reforms.”
The senator who stated that he is closely following developments in Nigeria wanted Bush to take advantage of the White House visit of Yar'Adua to emphasise the need for demonstrable progress on critical governance reforms.
“To consolidate the hard-earned political and economic gains made under the Obasanjo administration, President Yar'Adua must commit to a complete overhaul of Nigeria's democratic institutions- including, but not limited to, the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC). That also means demonstrating movement towards making Nigeria's political and economic systems more transparent and accountable to its citizens,” he wrote.
Recalling that Yar'Adua came into office pledging zero tolerance for corruption, he argued that there had been little movement on some of the key corruption cases that would indicate he is serious about upholding this pledge.

@ Mckren what are you talking about, Nigeria was opposed to the whole idea, the word used there is new position, please read and stop the misinformation. This is a clear departure from the position of the govt, a clear tactical U turn.

Keep laughing in igbo cheesy, but open your eyes "Our people say even when we cry or laugh lets open our eyes". take your own advise and read, dont misinform people.
Re: Government Rejects US Military Base In Nigeria by Kobojunkie: 8:53pm On Dec 14, 2007

The Council of States of which the Yar’Adua is chairman, recently voiced opposition to the command. Minister of Foreign Affairs, Chief Ojo Maduekwe, who is part of the President’s delegation to the US had himself stated that Nigeria would not support the presence of US troops on African soil under the auspices of AFRICOM.

But at a press briefing at the Oval Office, with President George W. Bush in attendance, Yar’Adua made known his new position.

“We have discussed on security issues, security within Nigeria, the Niger Delta, the Gulf of Guinea and peace and security on the African continent. We shall partner AFRICOM to assist not only Nigeria but also the African continent to actualise its peace and security initiatives. It is an initiative to have standby forces in each of the regional economic groupings in Africa,” said the President.

The President did not give details of the discussion on AFRICOM, such as whether Nigeria will be used as the Command’s base, an issue that has emerged contentious in recent times.

But his support at the White House was a clear departure from the leaning of his administration on the issue.

http://www.africanloft.com/on-africom-nigeria-will-partner-with-us-military-command-for-africa/#comment-7184

I did not make it up. I read it from your Nigerian Newspapers. Are they lying now?? Or am I supposed to turn a blind eye to the statement made there??
Re: Government Rejects US Military Base In Nigeria by Kobojunkie: 8:56pm On Dec 14, 2007

Nigeria has finally agreed to partner with the United States of America to establish a military command in Africa.

President Umaru Yar’Adua made this known in Washington DC during his first meeting with President George Bush on Thursday.

Yar’Adua said he believed that the establishment of the command otherwise known as AFRICOM would lead to the implementation of peace and security issues in Africa.

He said, “We discussed security issues not only on Nigeria, Niger Delta, but also within the Gulf of Guinea.

“And we shall partner with AFRICOM not only in Nigeria but also on the continent to actualise the peace and security initiatives which is an initiative to help standby forces in each of the regional groupings of Africa.”

The President, who spoke with journalists inside the Oval office, opened his comments by saying he was happy to be at the White House.

“I am highly impressed and honored to be here. I will never forget this moment in my life,” Empowered Newswire, a US-based Nigerian news agency quoted him as saying.

Empowered Newswire added that Yar’Adua and Bush also deliberated on Nigeria’s on-going electoral reform, democracy, rule of law, economic and social issues.

According to the agency, Yar’Adua’s statement on Nigeria’s readiness to support the controversial military command marks the first positive comment from any Nigerian government official since the US has been trying to sell the idea.

http://www.punchng.com/Articl.aspx?theartic=Art2007121413285793

Blame the Punch and the other Nigerian Newspapers for publishing the story. I am not going to sit here and claim I have a better idea of what Yar adua plans. I only know what I read and I am shocked myself.
Re: Government Rejects US Military Base In Nigeria by RichyBlacK(m): 8:57pm On Dec 14, 2007
I can assure you all that there will be NO US BASE IN NIGERIA.

Nigeria is not one of those countries America can bully into submission using their military might or inept diplomacy. They're just wasting their time.
Re: Government Rejects US Military Base In Nigeria by McKren(m): 8:58pm On Dec 14, 2007
buluti you are quoting the editor of thisday, I am only asking you to quote Yaradua (the President) or Ojo Maduekewe (the foreign minister)

the bits from Yaradua in that same news

We have discussed on security issues, security within Nigeria, the Niger Delta, the Gulf of Guinea and peace and security on the African continent. We shall partner AFRICOM to assist not only Nigeria but also the African continent to actualise its peace and security initiatives. It is an initiative to have standby forces in each of the regional economic groupings in Africa,”

The Bits from Ojo Maduekwe

Nigeria would not support the presence of US troops on African soil under the auspices of AFRICOM.

Even your prefered editor goes further to state thus:
The President did not give details of the discussion on AFRICOM, such as whether Nigeria will be used as the Command’s base, an issue that has emerged contentious in recent times

So where is the basis for your spanish laughter
Re: Government Rejects US Military Base In Nigeria by Kobojunkie: 8:59pm On Dec 14, 2007

President Umaru Musa Yar’Adua yesterday at the White House in Washington, D.C., United States (US) stated that Nigeria would partner the US/AFRI-CA Command (AFRICOM) on security on the continent.
The Council of States of which the President is Chairman, recently voiced opposition to the command.
Minister of Foreign Affairs, Chief Ojo Maduekwe, who is part of the President’s delegation to the US had himself stated that Nigeria would not support the presence of US troops on African soil under the auspices of AFRICOM.
“We have discussed on security issues, security within Nigeria, the Niger Delta, the Gulf of Guinea and peace and security on the African continent. We shall partner  AFRICOM to assist not only Nigeria but also the African continent to actualise its peace and security initiatives. It is an initiative to have standby forces in each of the regional economic groupings in Africa,” said the President.

The President did not give details of the discussion on AFRICOM, such as whether Nigeria will be used as the Command’s base, an issue that has emerged contentious in recent times. But his support at the White House was a clear departure from the leaning of his administration on the issue.

http://allafrica.com/stories/200712140108.html

http://voanews.com/english/2007-12-13-voa20.cfm
http://www.thisdayonline.com/nview.php?id=97939

Check the statement in quote there. It says the president himself said it. I am not sure the man is saying I DISAGREE WITH YOU ALL STILL. Anywho, those who have a problem with it, do not turn on me. I did not WRITE the articles, your newspapers did and I am only going by the news from the Nigerian media. grin
Re: Government Rejects US Military Base In Nigeria by McKren(m): 9:04pm On Dec 14, 2007
Nigerian doubts over Africom base
By Alex Last
BBC News, Abuja

Nigerian President Umaru Yar'Adua speaking to the UN General Assembly (26/09/2007)
President Yar'Adua said he would prefer a regional standby force
The Nigerian government has said it would not allow its country to be used as a base for the US-African military command, Africom.

At a meeting of the National Council of State, President Umaru Yar'Adua said that Nigeria was also opposed to any such bases in West Africa.

He said Nigeria would prefer to work towards the establishment of an African standby force under regional direction.

The decision leaves Liberia as the only country willing to host the Americans.

There has been considerable unease in many African nations about American plans to establish a new military command for the continent.

Largely to allay those fears, US deputy secretary of state John Negroponte went on an African tour last week, outlining his plans.

But Nigeria, West Africa's regional superpower and key oil supplier to the US, remains unconvinced.

Regional influence

"The president restated the position of Nigeria not permitting a US base in our country or sub-region but to work towards the establishment of an African standby force," said Governor Bukola Saraki after the meeting.

General William Ward
Gen William Ward will be the first commander of Africom

Nigeria is not alone in its opposition - South Africa and Libya have also voiced strong reservations.

They dislike the idea of an American military base in their own backyard, undermining their regional influence.

There is also concern that Africom is really an attempt to protect US oil and mineral interests in Africa, amid growing competition for resources from Asian economies.

Then there are fears about the continent being drawn into the US war on terror.

The US says the base is not about militarisation but consolidating existing operations under one single command, while helping Africans with military training and supporting peacekeeping and aid operations.

But for countries like Nigeria, help is one thing - a base is quite another.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/africa/7104215.stm

See the bits in bold from that news on BBC and tell what new thing President Yaradua said that he has not said before
Re: Government Rejects US Military Base In Nigeria by Kobojunkie: 9:10pm On Dec 14, 2007
Are you saying an AFRICAN standby force is then AFRICOM?? Cause I believe AFRICOM would mean an AMERICAN standby force in Africa or am I wrong here?? And if it turns out it is going to be an AMERICAN standby force in Africa, would that then not mean some "TEMPORARY" base would have to be erected in Africa?

I do not believe Nigeria has EVER been on the list of possible locations for the proposed base.

Nigeria's support of AFRICOM will not automatically mean the country will become a host for the Pentagon command or its facilities, however. Two Gulf of Guinea countries -- Sao Tome & Principe and the Malabo archipelago of Equatorial Guinea -- are likely still contenders for AFRICOM facilities. Both island territories provide numerous advantages for military planners and for the oil industry, as they are essentially protected by water from land-based threats like the Movement for the Emancipation of the Niger Delta, which is still active in Nigeria.

Re: Government Rejects US Military Base In Nigeria by debosky(m): 9:16pm On Dec 14, 2007
you misunderstand

There is no American Standby force mentioned by Yar'adua, the standby force is to be modelled after ECOMOG for each regional economic grouping. The AFRICOM is the Africa Command of the US Armed forces, it does not necessitate an American Force in Africa. AFRICOM support could be in the form of training and logistics to move these troops around if and when needed. There is no need for a base to achieve this. They can be based in Europe and fly in equipment as and when needed.
Re: Government Rejects US Military Base In Nigeria by McKren(m): 9:20pm On Dec 14, 2007
African standby force under regional direction is different from AFRICOM,

Its unfortunate that Nigeria media simply misrepresented the President's press release at the oval office

My brother debosky thank you so much, I nearly want go order eyeglass. I no sabi whether I dey read another newspaper?
Re: Government Rejects US Military Base In Nigeria by Kobojunkie: 9:24pm On Dec 14, 2007
I am sorry dudes,  but I will wait to hear from the horses mouth instead of going with speculations. It is in same in most all the articles I have read so far on what happened yesterday and I am not in no way saying

1) there will be a base in Nigeria

2) I do not believe there will NEVER be a base in Africa

3) What I am saying is that He did not support the idea only a couple of weeks ago as in he was skeptical and clearly his view has changed and he is no longer skeptical considering the message in quote.

Since this happened only yesterday, I will try to keep abreast of any more information on this to learn what the new stand actually is. I will not put it past him to make a complete You-turn on this issue. I will not stone him for it. He knows his reasons for the new tone and only he can explain the new move to us.
Re: Government Rejects US Military Base In Nigeria by toshmann(m): 9:30pm On Dec 14, 2007
there will not be a military base in nigeria. dont worry about oga yara-sleep-of-tongue grin grin grin when he returns, there'll be a new position. as y'all could see, oga was so excited about being in the white house that he forgot where he stood on the issue grin grin

when he returns, he re-discover himself cheesy

no worries. that base for naija no go happen. MEND go scatter am b4 them build am tongue
naija no be baghdad tongue tongue tongue

@all US apologists tongue tongue
Re: Government Rejects US Military Base In Nigeria by debosky(m): 9:31pm On Dec 14, 2007
The reasons for the so called 'new tone' is apparent

He's at the White House, of course he'll make a comment nice sounding to the US ears.

If there had been such a 'u-turn' something specific would have been said, instead Yar'adua reiterated what he's said all along, regional standby AFRICAN forces by economic groupings.

Co-operation with AFRICOM was never an issue in my view, the government simply expressed a rejection of setting up of foreign bases in Nigeria.

The Nigerian Military High Command is not in support of an external force based in Nigeria, so it will not happen. Cooperation can go on, but no bases.

If Liberia or someone else wants the base? good luck to them.
Re: Government Rejects US Military Base In Nigeria by toshmann(m): 9:32pm On Dec 14, 2007
@deboski
tell them cheesy

@"them" tongue

@ all. . . . i laugh in swahili . . . grin
Re: Government Rejects US Military Base In Nigeria by McKren(m): 9:43pm On Dec 14, 2007
Yaradua did not even have a slip of tongue

He simply emphsized on what he agreed with Bush but remained silent on their disagreement.

Whats the point standing in Oval office and putting up a show for the press??

Even the last time Vladimir Putin visited white house, he did not make noise about arms race and star wars like he normally does.
Re: Government Rejects US Military Base In Nigeria by debosky(m): 9:50pm On Dec 14, 2007
The art of diplomacy and international posturing is lost on some I guess

Yar'adua is a smart man, The government's policy is clear and he expressed that, co-operation is a very vague word, and was aptly chosen. We will cooperate as we deem fit, even the US knows that is no green light of any sort for a military base.
Re: Government Rejects US Military Base In Nigeria by buluti(m): 10:24pm On Dec 14, 2007
Heres the quote from Yar Adua himself.

“We have discussed on security issues, security within Nigeria, the Niger Delta, the Gulf of Guinea and peace and security on the African continent. We shall partner AFRICOM to assist not only Nigeria but also the African continent to actualise its peace and security initiatives. It is an initiative to have standby forces in each of the regional economic groupings in Africa,” said the President.

Yar Adua exact words, We shall partner on AFRICOM, if you guys are defining AFRICOM as Nigeria's hitherto position thats unture, nigeria was against the idea of AFRICOM. I wont attempt to argue that i know what Yar Adua said i wasnt there and not in his mind but using AFRICOM is misleading.

We can choose to define AFRICOM the way we want, theres clearly a power imbalance, for Nigeria views to be heard and understood in international circles we need to clear so its not misinterpreted. For my friend that quoted Puttin, he was clear when he visited the white house, diplomacy is not lieing but stating your position succinctly.

We wait and see.
Re: Government Rejects US Military Base In Nigeria by Iman3(m): 10:28pm On Dec 14, 2007
Whatever Nigeria's position,the US will have a command set up in Africa.Its always nice to wallow in delusions of grandeur.Reality is much more different.Not even the US could stop the Soviets setting up military bases in their backyard-Cuba.

In the ideal world,the US would have loved to site its base in Nigeria but I doubt they would do so even if Yar'Adua welcomed them.

In so far as citing US bases in other African countries. . . . . .the impotent policy positions of the Nigerian Govt won't stop the US citing its base.There are many African countries eager and willing to host it.The US only needs 1 location
Re: Government Rejects US Military Base In Nigeria by Nobody: 10:43pm On Dec 14, 2007
thats a concealed and hypochritic decision.you'd see that in the coming days
Re: Government Rejects US Military Base In Nigeria by Kobojunkie: 10:43pm On Dec 14, 2007
debosky:

The reasons for the so called 'new tone' is apparent

He's at the White House, of course he'll make a comment nice sounding to the US ears.

If there had been such a 'u-turn' something specific would have been said, instead Yar'adua reiterated what he's said all along, regional standby AFRICAN forces by economic groupings.

Co-operation with AFRICOM was never an issue in my view, the government simply expressed a rejection of setting up of foreign bases in Nigeria.

The Nigerian Military High Command is not in support of an external force based in Nigeria, so it will not happen. Cooperation can go on, but no bases.

If Liberia or someone else wants the base? good luck to them.

OH GIVE ME A BREAK!! COME ON!!!! jeeezzz

I don't see it saying Standby AFRICAN forces ONLY and no AMERICAN FORCES IN AFRICA.
Re: Government Rejects US Military Base In Nigeria by Nobody: 10:51pm On Dec 14, 2007
you think so ehn, you wont get that break cos i know the nigerian politics pretty well
Re: Government Rejects US Military Base In Nigeria by McKren(m): 10:52pm On Dec 14, 2007
Before Monday Segun Adeniyi will tell Nigerians what the President said or what he was trying to say
Re: Government Rejects US Military Base In Nigeria by Kobojunkie: 10:55pm On Dec 14, 2007
McKren:

Before Monday Segun Adeniyi will tell Nigerians what the President said or what he was trying to say

I would rather wait to hear what he has to say instead of assuming this is yar adua trying to "PLAY" the white house with sweet talk , LMAO!! That is actually BAD if that turns out to be what he was doing when he made the statement.
Re: Government Rejects US Military Base In Nigeria by Depilot(m): 10:56pm On Dec 14, 2007
rejection is the key word here. during war in liberia, it took thousands of children to die before america decided to deploy less than 50 military personnel.things would have been different if oil was pouring in the middle of monrovia. america will never get involved in anything unless there is hidden benefit for them. they will not sacrifice a soul for nothing. war in iraq was really a miscalculated search for oil. a base in nigeria for america will be a big mistake. with the presence of oil, they will not know when to leave. i also think that nigeria is seen as a backup just in case things fall apart in middle-east and Venezuela locks up the oil pipe.
Re: Government Rejects US Military Base In Nigeria by Nobody: 11:00pm On Dec 14, 2007
read in the papers today that Yar Adua confirmed it to George Bush( during his visit to the white house) that he agreed to the AFRICOM, in entierty, and he was really blushing in the pix
Re: Government Rejects US Military Base In Nigeria by McKren(m): 11:06pm On Dec 14, 2007
Kobojunkie:

I would rather wait to hear what he has to say instead of assuming this is yar adua trying to "PLAY" the white house with sweet talk , LMAO!! That is actually BAD if that turns out to be what he was doing when he made the statement.

For the records we are not arguing that Yaradua lied to outsmart President Bush, we only said the Nigeria media may have misrepresented and misquoted Yaradua's position on this issue as quotes from Yaradua which were not in the extreme does not suggest what the media was trying to potray. We are also saying that quotes from the Foreign Minister which was in the extreme was outrightly different from the media's position.

Hence it is not a case of Yaradua lying but rather a possible misrepresentation of Government's position by the Nigerian media.
Re: Government Rejects US Military Base In Nigeria by Nobody: 11:12pm On Dec 14, 2007
jnow you'd read Mr President and see him for ur self, using this link.http://www.punchng.com/Articl.aspx?theartic=Art2007121413285793 angry
Re: Government Rejects US Military Base In Nigeria by Kobojunkie: 11:28pm On Dec 14, 2007
McKren:

For the records we are not arguing that Yaradua lied to outsmart President Bush, we only said the Nigeria media may have misrepresented and misquoted Yaradua's position on this issue as quotes from Yaradua which were not in the extreme does not suggest what the media was trying to potray. We are also saying that quotes from the Foreign Minister which was in the extreme was outrightly different from the media's position.

Hence it is not a case of Yaradua lying but rather a possible misrepresentation of Government's position by the Nigerian media.

How do you know that for sure?? I am assuming none of us were there when this statement was made in the white house,  was it televised or something ?? I mean you sound like you know the man's mind even though from all the paper articles so far, it is the same tone.  Am I missing something here?? I am in no wise saying that if he chances his mind, it is necessarily a bad thing and I am not of the mind that if he sticks to his guns, he is stupid. I do know what I read there shows the man has shifted from his hardline approach towards the issue a couple of weeks ago. And if it ain't so, someone's got some real explaining to do.
Re: Government Rejects US Military Base In Nigeria by Iman3(m): 11:31pm On Dec 14, 2007
@Kobojunkie

McKren is a reputed "mind reader" grin
Re: Government Rejects US Military Base In Nigeria by McKren(m): 12:01am On Dec 15, 2007
Kobojunkie

I am only suggesting that what the Nigerian media are saying are inconsistent with quotes that they (the Nigerian media) presented themselves, I did not say I was reading anybody's mind. I understand you guys passion for anything American but there is no point trying to mislead people.

Even reuters which reported rejection of AFRICOM by Nigeria did not say anywhere in its news that Yar'adua changed position while meeting Bush.

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - US. President George W. Bush on Thursday offered warm praise for new Nigerian President Umaru Yar'Adua's commitment to democracy after past complaints about flaws in his election in April.

"The president is committed to democracy and rule of law," Bush said after meeting in the oval office with Yar'Adua, whose country is a major oil supplier to the United States.

"He was very articulate in his desire to make sure that the people of Nigeria understand that their government will be fair and transparent, and will be a government of the people," Bush said.

Yar'Adua's election in April was deemed not to be credible by international observers because of widespread fraud and intimidation. Bush invited him to the White House after he agreed to address US. concerns over the election.

Nigeria, Africa's most populous country, is the world's eighth largest oil exporter and fifth biggest supplier to the United States, although militant attacks on the oil facilities have cut exports by one fifth.

"I have briefed (Bush) on the situation in Nigeria, our efforts to anchor democracy on the rule of law, to help a credible electoral process, and to ensure that the principles of justice, equity will guide the conduct of affairs in Nigeria," Yar'Adua said after the meeting.

The two leaders also discussed the conflict in the Darfur region of Sudan and the distribution of Nigeria's energy revenue, White House spokeswoman Dana Perino said.

She said Bush stressed the need for more troops and equipment to support the 7,000 African Union soldiers in Darfur trying to help end the conflict, which Bush has labeled "genocide". Nigeria has been involved in peace efforts.

International experts estimate some 200,000 people have been killed in Darfur and another 2.5 million have been driven from their homes since violence erupted in 2003. Continued,
View article on single page
Previ

Let us wait for Presidency to react

I do agree with you that someone has some explanation to do, but its up to the Nigerian media to explain how day collectively misrepresented what the President said.

Time will tell and goodnight for now.

Got nothing to say to I-man cos I know the origin of his frustration

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Blessing Agbomhere's Book "Heart Of A Patriot", A Book About Buhari, Launched / FG Shielding Akpabio From Prosecution For Corrupt Allegation ― Group / Court Sacks Zamfara APC Excos

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 91
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.