Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,781 members, 7,820,723 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 08:17 PM

UNILAG Shut Down Over MAU Name Change Protests - Education (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / UNILAG Shut Down Over MAU Name Change Protests (11824 Views)

UNILAG Postpones Convocation As Jonathan Insists On Name Change / UNILAG/MAU Students Drag FG To Court Over Name change / Occupy UNILAG: Students Protest MAU Renaming (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: UNILAG Shut Down Over MAU Name Change Protests by ifihearam: 1:38pm On May 30, 2012
The kids are just making things mnore difficult for themselves,how does the change of name affect the students sef,are their fathers the owner of the institution??the owner has decided to change its name and they are there protesting by showcasing their foolishness.
It is worthy to note that,most of them might not really be bna fide students of the school and looking for an avenue to loot. Don't knw why people are very foolish and senseless and hear me MAULites. Nothing can be done absolitely nada

The president has spoken
Re: UNILAG Shut Down Over MAU Name Change Protests by angiemartinez(f): 1:39pm On May 30, 2012
what has d name of d sch gat 2 do wit d academic per4mas of the students? Ask dem y day r protestn, u wil b suprisd some of dem dnt evn knw who MKO was, n d anulment of june 12 electn.
Re: UNILAG Shut Down Over MAU Name Change Protests by Korrection(m): 1:39pm On May 30, 2012
4evergod3: ALL OF YOU WHO ARE RAINING INSULTS ON THE STUDENTS OF UNILAG..... YES TO ME ITS STILL UNILAG AT LEAST THEY CAN SPEAK WHEN POKED AND SPEAK OUT INDEED. WE ALL NEED TO LEARN HOW TO GIVE OURSELVES A VOICE AND SPEAK OUT WHEN WRONGED. WE JUST DON'T HAVE TO ALWAYS TAKE THE EASY WAY OUT AND KEEP SAYING ''DON'T WORRY EVERYTHING IS GOING TO BE ALRIGHT". SOMETIMES WE NEED TO MAKE THINGS ALRIGHT. JONATHAN OR WHATEVER HE IS CALLED NEVER FOLLOWED DUE PROCESS BEFORE THE NAME CHANGE AND AS USUAL THIS IS JUST ONE OF THEIR WAYS OF SAYING TO YOU AND I THE ORDINARY NIGERIANS THAT WE DO NOT HAVE A VOICE AND WHATEVER THEY SAY MUST STAND EVEN WHEN THEY ARE OBVIOUSLY WRONG. NIGERIANS WAKE UP. THE ISSUE NOW IS NOT JUST ABOUT GEJ AND UNILAG ITS ABOUT THE WAY OF GOVERNMENT IN GENERAL. WE ARE THE PEOPLE AND WE DESERVE A SAY IN HOW OUR AFFAIRS ARE HANDLED. PERIOD!

Enter front...I dey your back

1 Like

Re: UNILAG Shut Down Over MAU Name Change Protests by ebamma(m): 1:40pm On May 30, 2012
an if u ask any of those students why the are protesting,the will tell u that the name no sweet 4 mouth,should dis be a problem of a serious student.
Re: UNILAG Shut Down Over MAU Name Change Protests by CyberG: 1:43pm On May 30, 2012
Only a foolish government and foolish people build a successful and a successful enterprise and then destroy it! UNILAG is already a Nigerian brand in and outside Nigeria and successful, why destroy it? If you wanted to do graduate studies abroad, your transcripts will need no introduction! If you wanted to apply to the biggest and most influential companies like Cisco, Microsoft, Google, etc and they let you select the name of the university in a listbox, you can be quite certain your school name will be there just like Harvard, Stanford, McGill, Oxford, etc why? Because over the years, they have known these institutions so why destroy all that with useless political pandering and interest? I hope this president is killed in that Aso Rock for his uselessness so that he never enjoys the money he has stolen and allowed to be stolen! Let the Nigerians who are older than him and he has made suffer for his daft policies be the ones to see the end of a deranged lunatic president!!
Re: UNILAG Shut Down Over MAU Name Change Protests by niyitogun(m): 1:45pm On May 30, 2012
4evergod3: ALL OF YOU WHO ARE RAINING INSULTS ON THE STUDENTS OF UNILAG..... YES TO ME ITS STILL UNILAG AT LEAST THEY CAN SPEAK WHEN POKED AND SPEAK OUT INDEED. WE ALL NEED TO LEARN HOW TO GIVE OURSELVES A VOICE AND SPEAK OUT WHEN WRONGED. WE JUST DON'T HAVE TO ALWAYS TAKE THE EASY WAY OUT AND KEEP SAYING ''DON'T WORRY EVERYTHING IS GOING TO BE ALRIGHT". SOMETIMES WE NEED TO MAKE THINGS ALRIGHT. JONATHAN OR WHATEVER HE IS CALLED NEVER FOLLOWED DUE PROCESS BEFORE THE NAME CHANGE AND AS USUAL THIS IS JUST ONE OF THEIR WAYS OF SAYING TO YOU AND I THE ORDINARY NIGERIANS THAT WE DO NOT HAVE A VOICE AND WHATEVER THEY SAY MUST STAND EVEN WHEN THEY ARE OBVIOUSLY WRONG. NIGERIANS WAKE UP. THE ISSUE NOW IS NOT JUST ABOUT GEJ AND UNILAG ITS ABOUT THE WAY OF GOVERNMENT IN GENERAL. WE ARE THE PEOPLE AND WE DESERVE A SAY IN HOW OUR AFFAIRS ARE HANDLED. PERIOD!

Couldn't have been beta said, some myopic ppl still support GEJ, d move itself was for good purpose but the way he went about it was saddening...I mean even the university council was not even involved...seems dis democracy has still not gotten it

1 Like

Re: UNILAG Shut Down Over MAU Name Change Protests by 4evergod3: 1:47pm On May 30, 2012
WE ALL NEED TO BE OBJECTIVE WHEN LOOKING AT MATTERS THAT CONCERN US ALL AND NOT ALWAYS MAKE A JOKE ABOUT IT AS IT IS YOUR FUTURE AND MINE THAT WE ARE JOKING ABOUT. AMERICANS WHOM WE LOOK UP TO NEVER JOKE WITH ISSUES THAT CONCERN THEM AND THAT IS WHY THEY ARE GREAT. NO MATTER HOW SMALL YOU ARE IN THE USA YOU STILL HAVE A VOICE. BUT OVER HERE THE SMALLER YOU ARE THE BETTER FOR THE GOVERNMENT BECAUSE YOU NEVER EVEN HAD A VOICE IN THE FIRST PLACE. WE ARE JUST BEGINNING TO FIND OUR VOICE AND IT IS JUST UNFORTUNATE THAT IT STARTED DURING THE TENURE OF GEJ BUT ISNT THIS AN INDICATOR THAT THE LINE OF ENDURANCE FOR THE AVERAGE NIGERIAN HAS BEEN CROSSED BY THE SAME GOVERNMENT WHO WAS SUPPOSEDLY ELECTED BY THE PEOPLE IN ORDER TO PROTECT AND SERVE? SO FAR WHO IS BEING PROTECTED? THOSE IN GOVERNMENT ALONE. WHO IS BEING SERVED? THOSE IN THE GOVERNMENT ALONE. AND SOME OF US STILL WISH TO TURN A BLIND EYE TO OUR PREDICAMENT? SMH

1 Like

Re: UNILAG Shut Down Over MAU Name Change Protests by mykejones(m): 1:47pm On May 30, 2012
Exactly what's d big deal about this name change,huh?
Re: UNILAG Shut Down Over MAU Name Change Protests by Chyz2: 1:48pm On May 30, 2012
Good. Why not name something after him in your village,mumu.
Re: UNILAG Shut Down Over MAU Name Change Protests by ritux: 1:59pm On May 30, 2012

I really don't know much about the Nigeria constitution but if it is within the powers of the President to change the name without consulting anybody then there is nothing the anybody can do.
Re: UNILAG Shut Down Over MAU Name Change Protests by Nobody: 1:59pm On May 30, 2012
what is the National Assembly waiting for?! For the love of God, let them impeach this guy! Let them put him out of his misery! This is not even funny anymore, not remotely funny at all!

P.S.I cannot even begin to argue, if anyone cannot see what is wrong with what mr.jonathan has done, pls go and put a nail in your head!

Orisa ti o ba ni gbani, ko fini le now.
Re: UNILAG Shut Down Over MAU Name Change Protests by serlijah: 2:00pm On May 30, 2012
violence cant solve things out...................... we know that they are all political scammer and we have to live with it.
Re: UNILAG Shut Down Over MAU Name Change Protests by 4evergod3: 2:01pm On May 30, 2012
BoboYekini: what is the National Assembly waiting for?! For the love of God, let them impeach this guy! Let them put him out of his misery! This is not even funny anymore, not remotely funny at all!

P.S.I cannot even begin to argue, if anyone cannot see what is wrong with what mr.jonathan has done, pls go and put a nail in your head!

NO NOT A NAIL IN THEIR HEAD. THEY NEED THE ENTIRE HEAD DEEP FRIED!
Re: UNILAG Shut Down Over MAU Name Change Protests by laoma15(m): 2:02pm On May 30, 2012
Nobody is against change of name here. But the point is that either Mr. president have not followed the due process or he has been badly advised.
Consultations should have been carried out among the School authority and the student union. Nobody has a sole right of imposing anything on anyone under democracy. We have prestigious institutions such as Havard university, Cambridge university and Oxford university which nobody dare to cahnge.
UNILAG is a unique institution of learning and the name change should have only happened after a wide consultation.

This also shows that Mr. president need to do more in the arear of decision making. Some of his decisions are becoming very unpopular.

We need light, we need water, we need roads, we need food on our tables, shelter over our heads, secure future for our children!!!
Re: UNILAG Shut Down Over MAU Name Change Protests by nkemKalu: 2:04pm On May 30, 2012
Alot of People don't seem to understand the crux of the matter here. It is not all about the SWEETNESS OF UNILAG OR MAUL or whatever......it is all about the ingnorance and stupididty the President has exhibited by this unilateral and unlawful announcement. If we are to liken this University of Lagos that was established 50 years ago by an ACT of PARLIAMENT to an INCORPORATED COMPANY that passed through the CORPORATE AFFAIRS COMMISSION before its establishment, can the Chairman of the company wake up one morning and announce that he has changed the name of the company without first of all going through the same CORPORATE AFFAIRS COMMISSION and doing proper application for a change of name? The answer is obvious no. Therefore, people like us now starts to question if this president does actually look before he leaps? And come to think of it, I don't think that this is all that matters to NIGERIANS now, but even if it does, the PRESIDENT has announced he is going to establish a FEDERAL UNIVERSITY in all the six regions of the country. WHY NOT CHOOSE ANY OF THEM THAT HAS NO NAME YET AND CALL IT M. K. O. ABIOLA UNIVERSITY Rather than disrupting the activities of this great institution? You can imagine a 500 level student now hoping to get a certificate bearing UNIVERSITY OF LAGOS and he/she is give MAUL certificate and that person will have the onerous task of explaining to anybody that cares, that IT USED TO BE.....bla bla bla....
Re: UNILAG Shut Down Over MAU Name Change Protests by Ideasroole: 2:05pm On May 30, 2012
jerseyboy: Abiola was a thief. (ITT-International Thief Thief- Fela) He was after personal aggrandizements. June 12 annulment was a power play fall out amongst two rivals IBB and MKO who masqueraded as friends. Nigeria has civil rule not democracy. This is ARMY ARRAGEMENT (Fela).
I hope the proponents for the adoption of june 12 as a national holiday will take note.

1 Like

Re: UNILAG Shut Down Over MAU Name Change Protests by 4evergod3: 2:07pm On May 30, 2012
laoma15: Nobody is against change of name here. But the point is that either Mr. president have not followed the due process or he has been badly advised.
Consultations should have been carried out among the School authority and the student union. Nobody has a sole right of imposing anything on anyone under democracy. We have prestigious institutions such as Havard university, Cambridge university and Oxford university which nobody dare to cahnge.
UNILAG is a unique institution of learning and the name change should have only happened after a wide consultation.

This also shows that Mr. president need to do more in the arear of decision making. Some of his decisions are becoming very unpopular.

We need light, we need water, we need roads, we need food on our tables, shelter over our heads, secure future for our children!!!

WELL SAID! AND ALL HE CAN BOAST OF ACHIEVING IS UNILAG NAME CHANGE. SUCH A CLOWN.

WHAT HE DID IS JUST LIKE COCA COLA WAKING UP TOMORROW AND SAYING WE WANT TO CHANGE OUR NAME TO BANANA OR COWDUNG. VALUE IMMEDIATELY BECOMES THROWN OUT THE WINDOW. BECAUSE THEIR STRONGEST SELLING POINT IS THE BRAND.... THE NAME. UNILAGS SELLING POINT FOR YEARS HAS BEEN ITS NAME..... BRAND. AND 'OL EGGHEAD COULDNT EVEN SEE THAT. AND THIS IS THE SAME PERSON WHOM WE THINK CAN IDENTIFY AND DEAL WITH THE PROBLEMS IN OUR COUNTRY? EGGHEAD? I DONT THINK SO.
Re: UNILAG Shut Down Over MAU Name Change Protests by Gaybriel: 2:09pm On May 30, 2012
ritux:

Abeg help me tell them. Nigeria is a place that you hardly see peaceful protest. Some will just join the bandwagon and in the process, get injured or killed in the process. They will end up dying for nothing because the name has come to stay.

University of Ife was changed to OAU long ago and till today, the school still remain great and one of the best.
for your information the sch is no longer great rara
Re: UNILAG Shut Down Over MAU Name Change Protests by gudnex22(m): 2:18pm On May 30, 2012
Good for them lets see who is going to lose. Usel*ss set of poeple.
Re: UNILAG Shut Down Over MAU Name Change Protests by Nobody: 2:19pm On May 30, 2012
This is what the student wants. to go home and lazy about.hope they will not regret this at the end of the day.
Re: UNILAG Shut Down Over MAU Name Change Protests by h360d(m): 2:19pm On May 30, 2012
hmmn, our selected not elected leaders will not seize to amazed us.
lipsrsealed
Re: UNILAG Shut Down Over MAU Name Change Protests by sandy409(m): 2:23pm On May 30, 2012
THIS IS MADNESS, they CAN NOT TRY this in my sch. MADNESS!!! In d Highest order angryTHIS IS MADNESS, they CAN NOT TRY this in my sch. MADNESS!!! In d Highest order
Re: UNILAG Shut Down Over MAU Name Change Protests by deeozi(m): 2:25pm On May 30, 2012
Imagn afta waitin 4 year 2 be admitted into unilag, d name changes suddenly to MAUL. Dis is y most of d students are angry. Forget d name go out and show ur worth. Remb in Nig. wat goes up hardly comes down.
Re: UNILAG Shut Down Over MAU Name Change Protests by Itsalphaa(m): 2:28pm On May 30, 2012
whats wrong with this MAULAG students sef....jst cz MAU doznt sound ''Behind'' abeg johr make dem chilax....see ABU, OAU etc...wats wrong wif MAU?
Re: UNILAG Shut Down Over MAU Name Change Protests by 4evergod3: 2:33pm On May 30, 2012
COULD EGGHEAD NOT THINK OF SOMETHING BETTER TO DO ON DEMOCRACY DAY? I THOUGHT WE ALREADY HAD A POLYTECHNIC NAMED AFTER ABIOLA
Re: UNILAG Shut Down Over MAU Name Change Protests by ebgbest(m): 2:37pm On May 30, 2012
POINT OF KORECTION DUDE, DER IS NUTIN IN 9ERIA LIK UNILAG AS IT STAND RIT NW, WE ONLY HAV MAUL N WE HAV 2 ACCEPT DAT. PEROID
Re: UNILAG Shut Down Over MAU Name Change Protests by 4evergod3: 2:41pm On May 30, 2012
ebgbest: POINT OF KORECTION DUDE, DER IS NUTIN IN 9ERIA LIK UNILAG AS IT STAND RIT NW, WE ONLY HAV MAUL N WE HAV 2 ACCEPT DAT. PEROID

AHHH! ALL I DID WAS STILL CALL UNILAG BY WHAT I CHOSE TO CALL IT AND U SUDDENLY FOUND YOUR VOICE. DUDE I NEVER ATTENDED UNILAG AND NEVER WILL BECAUSE I AM ALREADY A GRADUATE AND RUNNING MY OWN BUSINESS. I WONDER WHY SOME OF US BOTHER TO GO THROUGH THE 4 WALLS OF A HIGHER INSTITUTION IF AT THE END OF THE DAY WE CANNOT SPEAK OUT! DUH
Re: UNILAG Shut Down Over MAU Name Change Protests by Nobody: 2:42pm On May 30, 2012
ismhab:
MADE IN CHINA?

No made in Computer village ikeja...lolll
Re: UNILAG Shut Down Over MAU Name Change Protests by pdozie: 2:46pm On May 30, 2012
Everyone is entitled to his/her opinion. As far as am concerned, Its very stupid and foolish of the students tp protest the way they did.. Protests are not bad, but when you protest for the wrong reasons, it becomes detestable.

I see nothing wrong with the name change. We have Obafemi Awolowo, Nnamdi Azikiwe etc universities. Its just a matter of pride by the ill-advised students. How does the name change negatively affect you from making your 2-1, 2-2, 1st class or otherwise?
Re: UNILAG Shut Down Over MAU Name Change Protests by Aksally(m): 2:47pm On May 30, 2012
lagerwhenindoubt:

You mean BATUL or LASBATUL grin grin grin

my broda na u biko

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Nairaland Interschool Debate Match Three:Abu ZariaVSIbadanpoly!WINNER:IBADANPOLY / Uniben School Fees Schedule / Senate Passes Bill To Upgrade Ilaro Polytechnic To Technical University

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 68
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.