Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,554 members, 7,819,974 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 07:48 AM

UNILAG Shut Down Over MAU Name Change Protests - Education (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / UNILAG Shut Down Over MAU Name Change Protests (11822 Views)

UNILAG Postpones Convocation As Jonathan Insists On Name Change / UNILAG/MAU Students Drag FG To Court Over Name change / Occupy UNILAG: Students Protest MAU Renaming (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: UNILAG Shut Down Over MAU Name Change Protests by Nobody: 2:52pm On May 30, 2012
lagerwhenindoubt:

You mean BATUL or LASBATUL grin grin grin
una no well for nairaland
Re: UNILAG Shut Down Over MAU Name Change Protests by DoctorMcgruff: 3:05pm On May 30, 2012
That Money that will be used to rebrand the school should be used to fix up the infrastructure of UNILAG.
Re: UNILAG Shut Down Over MAU Name Change Protests by kennysr: 3:16pm On May 30, 2012
One thing we have failed to understand in this country is that our leaders have their own agenda towards achieving their goals.What they do is to creat confusion among various groups in the land and once there is confusion then they start to do what they no will benefit them.Have you all forgotten the January Subsidy removal? See the total confusion in the entire country.Now we have just received another one UNILAG now MAU.Don't be suprise on October 1st the same President will declear TO Nigerians'that Nigeria has been sold to China or Iran.They will always come with their confusions strategies in other for them to achieve their aims and objectives.At this point of confusion Lotting,Corruption is going on.
Re: UNILAG Shut Down Over MAU Name Change Protests by Deedee49(f): 3:22pm On May 30, 2012
Nigerians should grow up,and get ova demselves! So wat if d name of ur school was changed? Was ur course changed? Or was d university changed to a college of education? Dis is nonsense! Better get use to it,shake it off and face ur studies! Screeeeew d swaggs dat goes wit ur former name,and take on a new swag with d present name(i dont knw if it's swag dat took u all to school in d first place)!!! Rubbish!!!
Re: UNILAG Shut Down Over MAU Name Change Protests by 4evergod3: 3:25pm On May 30, 2012
Deedee49: Nigerians should grow up,and get ova demselves! So wat if d name of ur school was changed? Was ur course changed? Or was d university changed to a college of education? Dis is nonsense! Better get use to it,shake it off and face ur studies! Screeeeew d swaggs dat goes wit ur former name,and take on a new swag with d present name(i dont knw if it's swag dat took u all to school in d first place)!!! Rubbish!!!

YOU OBVIOUSLY HAVE A ONE TRACKED MIND! HAVE YOU BOTHERED TAKING THE TIME TO FIND OUT HOW THE NAME CHANGE CAME ABOUT? TRY READING THE DAILIES OR WATCHING THE NEWS PERHAPS YOU WOULD BECOME BETTER ENLIGHTENED RATHER THAN THINK THAT THIS HAS SOMETHING TO DO WITH SWAG. SMH

1 Like

Re: UNILAG Shut Down Over MAU Name Change Protests by Deedee49(f): 3:34pm On May 30, 2012
4evergod3:

YOU OBVIOUSLY HAVE A ONE TRACKED MIND! HAVE YOU BOTHERED TAKING THE TIME TO FIND OUT HOW THE NAME CHANGE CAME ABOUT? TRY READING THE DAILIES OR WATCHING THE NEWS PERHAPS YOU WOULD BECOME BETTER ENLIGHTENED RATHER THAN THINK THAT THIS HAS SOMETHING TO DO WITH SWAG. SMH

Ok den, for u who has mutiple track mind,and who is so current as to knw abt d reason for d name change,how about u enlighten me about how it came to be. And while at it, explain to me how it affects the academics of the protesting students! "When people make comments about issues,u have multiple choices to do wat u like: u can either ignore it,make a reasonable comment or observation of dat person's post,or preferrably,go hit ur head on d wall". MF!!!!
Re: UNILAG Shut Down Over MAU Name Change Protests by 4evergod3: 3:39pm On May 30, 2012
Deedee49:

Ok den, for u who has mutiple track mind,and who is so current as to knw abt d reason for d name change,how about u enlighten me about how it came to be. And while at it, explain to me how it affects the academics of the protesting students! "When people make comments about issues,u have multiple choices to do wat u like: u can either ignore it,make a reasonable comment or observation of dat person's post,or preferrably,go hit ur head on d wall". MF!!!!

WOW! YOU WERE HURT BY WHAT I SAID WEREN'T YOU AND OBVIOUSLY VERY VOCAL TOO. TOO BAD YOU HAVE ALL YOUR WORDS WASTED ON ME. AND FYI, HITTING MY HEAD ON THE WALL WOULDNT HELP YOU NOW WOULD IT? WHAT WOULD HELP ME AND MAYBE YOU TOO WOULD BE;

1} GET YOUR SINGLE CELLED BRAIN DEEP FRIED
2} GET YOURSELF STRUCK BY LIGHTENING
3) TIE A TRUCK AROUND YOUR NECK AND JUMP INTO THE DEEPEST PART OF THE OCEAN.

HOW IS THAT FOR A WAKE UP CALL!
Re: UNILAG Shut Down Over MAU Name Change Protests by 4evergod3: 3:41pm On May 30, 2012
Deedee49:

YOU DO NOT WANT TO GO INTO A WAR OF WORDS WITH ME I NEED TO ADVICE YOU ON THAT. GO ASK BEAF AND JARMAIN HOW THEY ENDED UP WHEN THEY TRIED DOING WHAT YOU ARE TRYING TO DO NOW. I WILL CLOBBER YOU WITH MY HANDS TIED BEHIND MY BACK AND MY LEGS SHACKLED.
Re: UNILAG Shut Down Over MAU Name Change Protests by bisbiz: 3:55pm On May 30, 2012
understandable, since branding has become a very strategic business tool in the last few decades. But, because we live in a global village most employers of labour and foreign institutions will eqaully be updated in recognising that MAUL used to be Unilag.
I do not understand the reason for the violent protest. The students should grow up and be more concern about the quality of education they are buying and job opportunies for them out there when they graduate!
In this REAL WORLD that is all that matters, not the swag in the name!
Re: UNILAG Shut Down Over MAU Name Change Protests by udhedhe: 4:05pm On May 30, 2012
Ohhhhh no see what lack of wisdom, understand and common sense have cause all for institution name change they will all go home na wa.
Re: UNILAG Shut Down Over MAU Name Change Protests by stagger: 4:09pm On May 30, 2012
I hope our president can see the effects of pronouncements that are not thought through.
Re: UNILAG Shut Down Over MAU Name Change Protests by Sweetlemon(f): 4:43pm On May 30, 2012
To me, the annoying thing here is not actually the renaming in itself. It is the annoying way the govt keeps chasing after rats when its house is raging with fire! It's just soooooooo annoying watching their show of misplaced priorites all the time. With this, I think the students have every right to protest cos apart from the fact that Unilag is already an established name, they should be angry that the only thing the govt can think of doing for them (admist all the problems dying for attention in their school) is changing the name of their university! If I were them, I would also feel insulted
Re: UNILAG Shut Down Over MAU Name Change Protests by Guyman02: 4:45pm On May 30, 2012
Lifted from CYBERGC
@Post: Obviously, posters here are being disingenuous and downright stoopid to even suggest that any comments from the SW portrays Abiola not to be liked! This is not the issue at all but it seems like the dumbass president, some people only want to ignore the main issue and major on the minor:

1. A real honor is renaming democracy day after him and recognize his place as president posthumously, this will get the support of everyone or most reasonable people.

2. The SW people are the most sophisticated and progressive people ever and see no point in having a built up brand after 50 years destroyed by someone who is too silly at 54 to know that the university was established by an act of parliament and cannot be changed fiat. Why not announce a new Federal university after MKO and see it grow to towering heights in a few years?

3. Due process. In a democracy, the people come first and he should have consulted with the students, alumni and the people who are stakeholders before trying to steal glory he knew nothing about or reap where he did not sow.

4. Brand recognition is a big deal when you try to do your graduate studies in a foreign university or work in the Microsofts, Googles, etc of this world because they immediately know and can recognize the brand of the certificate and transcripts you have. It is a big setback to Nigeria and Nigerians if they have to surmount a totally unnecessary obstacle like this in the process!
Re: UNILAG Shut Down Over MAU Name Change Protests by MAssMoneIt: 5:00pm On May 30, 2012
Guyman02: Lifted from CYBERGC
@Post: Obviously, posters here are being disingenuous and downright stoopid to even suggest that any comments from the SW portrays Abiola not to be liked! This is not the issue at all but it seems like the dumbass president, some people only want to ignore the main issue and major on the minor:

1. A real honor is renaming democracy day after him and recognize his place as president posthumously, this will get the support of everyone or most reasonable people.

2. The SW people are the most sophisticated and progressive people ever and see no point in having a built up brand after 50 years destroyed by someone who is too silly at 54 to know that the university was established by an act of parliament and cannot be changed fiat. Why not announce a new Federal university after MKO and see it grow to towering heights in a few years?

3. Due process. In a democracy, the people come first and he should have consulted with the students, alumni and the people who are stakeholders before trying to steal glory he knew nothing about or reap where he did not sow.

4. Brand recognition is a big deal when you try to do your graduate studies in a foreign university or work in the Microsofts, Googles, etc of this world because they immediately know and can recognize the brand of the certificate and transcripts you have. It is a big setback to Nigeria and Nigerians if they have to surmount a totally unnecessary obstacle like this in the process!

Totally Pointed out and noted !! This is a real fact and every sane human would agree with this points..
Re: UNILAG Shut Down Over MAU Name Change Protests by edicolove: 5:00pm On May 30, 2012
stagger: I hope our president can see the effects of pronouncements that are not thought through.

Of course, yes! He can see clearly now. And so can the rest of us. We can all see that the south west don't like or respect Abiola and the students of MAU are yahoo boys and girls with a vague sense of value and no brains. They aren't there to read and get a degree. They are there to have fun and take hard drugs!
Re: UNILAG Shut Down Over MAU Name Change Protests by billyG(m): 5:07pm On May 30, 2012
he!he!!he!!! Big smilling joe with a wave is his (presidential) broom turn the prestigious,proud UNILAG to MAULAG it sound like a state university.i dey laugh in ijaw. grin grin grin grin grin
Re: UNILAG Shut Down Over MAU Name Change Protests by edicolove: 5:09pm On May 30, 2012
Sweetlemon: To me, the annoying thing here is not actually the renaming in itself. It is the annoying way the govt keeps chasing after rats when its house is raging with fire! It's just soooooooo annoying watching their show of misplaced priorites all the time. With this, I think the students have every right to protest cos apart from the fact that Unilag is already an established name, they should be angry that the only thing the govt can think of doing for them (admist all the problems dying for attention in their school) is changing the name of their university! If I were them, I would also feel insulted
Re: UNILAG Shut Down Over MAU Name Change Protests by billyG(m): 5:10pm On May 30, 2012
he!he!!he!!! Big smilling joe with a wave is his (presidential) broom turn the prestigious,proud UNILAG to MAULAG it sound like a state university.i dey laugh in ijaw. GREAT MAULITES i dey hail oo! grin grin grin grin grin grin cheesy
Re: UNILAG Shut Down Over MAU Name Change Protests by luvinhubby(m): 5:20pm On May 30, 2012
I wonder how many were born or how old they were in 1992.
Foolish students.
Re: UNILAG Shut Down Over MAU Name Change Protests by Deedee49(f): 5:33pm On May 30, 2012
4evergod3:

YOU DO NOT WANT TO GO INTO A WAR OF WORDS WITH ME I NEED TO ADVICE YOU ON THAT. GO ASK BEAF AND JARMAIN HOW THEY ENDED UP WHEN THEY TRIED DOING WHAT YOU ARE TRYING TO DO NOW. I WILL CLOBBER YOU WITH MY HANDS TIED BEHIND MY BACK AND MY LEGS SHACKLED.

Hellooooo!!!
Is someone saying something?!!!
Re: UNILAG Shut Down Over MAU Name Change Protests by 4evergod3: 5:37pm On May 30, 2012
Deedee49:

preferrably,go hit ur head on d wall". MF!!!!

YOU JUST GAVE ME THE REAL REASON WHY YOU ARE MAD AT ME [CHECK THE BOLDED] I GUESS IT WAS BECAUSE I DID THAT TO YOUR MOTHER LAST NIGHT. I SUPPOSE THAT DOES MAKE ME YOUR MF!!!!!
Re: UNILAG Shut Down Over MAU Name Change Protests by 4evergod3: 5:42pm On May 30, 2012
@Deedee49

LOOK SAVE YOURSELF THE EMBARRASSMENT. JUST BECAUSE YOU CAUGHT ME GIVING YOUR MUM SOME THUG LUVING DOESNT MEAN YOU HAVE TO BE MAD AT ME. ALL YOU HAD TO DO WAS ASK FOR IT AND I WOULD HAVE OBLIGED YOU. TOO BAD YOUR MUM ASKED FIRST! HAAAA!!!
Re: UNILAG Shut Down Over MAU Name Change Protests by edicolove: 6:06pm On May 30, 2012
4evergod3: @Deedee49

LOOK SAVE YOURSELF THE EMBARRASSMENT. JUST BECAUSE YOU CAUGHT ME GIVING YOUR MUM SOME THUG LUVING DOESNT MEAN YOU HAVE TO BE MAD AT ME. ALL YOU HAD TO DO WAS ASK FOR IT AND I WOULD HAVE OBLIGED YOU. TOO BAD YOUR MUM ASKED FIRST! HAAAA!!!

Hahahahahaha! Another stup1d dolt yahoo boy from akoka thinking he is Spiderman or incredible hulk because he can insult someone's mum! Lol. Is that your idea of what it takes to be a man? Lol. Nice try. Grow a brain man. I am ashamed for you. Men don't talk like that. That kind of talk is for women who watch African magic
Be a man boy. Upgrade ur skull. Lol. Adamu

!

1 Like

Re: UNILAG Shut Down Over MAU Name Change Protests by coded777: 6:57pm On May 30, 2012
I so loved Goodluck!!

1 Like

Re: UNILAG Shut Down Over MAU Name Change Protests by toyecoach(m): 7:20pm On May 30, 2012
they(Old unilag students ,alumni,staffs community )were just behaving to their through name-mad dogs.Abiola contributed immensely to education in Nigeria and if FGN wants to associate a great brand with this great man of Africa so be it.
come to think of it what manner of morals are the children of nowadays getting from our ivory tower. the institution itself are nowhere near the top ten in Africa .when our president announced establishment of scholarship for best 100 first class student I actually expexted student protest asking mr president to increase the number
Re: UNILAG Shut Down Over MAU Name Change Protests by IleIfe2(m): 7:29pm On May 30, 2012
madameaproko..com
So, as of 30 May 2012, if you Google the Nigerian president's name, the options suggested by Google will be Confused man, Slow poison, Cause trouble and I will rename Nigeria. Lagos is a strong brand name, so is every other thing related to it. ( LASGIDI, EKO, UNILAG e.t.c) for some these slogans are identities, a way of live, even a state of mind for some. C'mon it's Lag for heavens sake.The president just woke up one morning and decided to rename the university of Lagos after MKO Abiola while there are other national monuments that could be named after him even within Lagos state.

My point is this, Obama would not wake up one morning and decide to change Havard's name neither will Camron change oxford's. How does the change of name benefit any of the institution's stakeholders, from the federal government down to the students or aspiring students. What are the strategic benefits of this name change after 50 years? Honestly the president's ineptitude is really appalling. The way he makes decisions is difficult to comprehend. If Goodluck Jonathan was a football team, he would be Arsenal. He'll lift you up, just to let you down. He'll make you feel like a sad, frustrated wife, who is always very close to orgasm during sex, then her husband ejaculates and goes to sleep leaving her unsatisfied.SMH
grin grin grin

Re: UNILAG Shut Down Over MAU Name Change Protests by SoJaded: 7:48pm On May 30, 2012
freecocoa: Those kids are really foolish to have shut down roads because of a name change.

It goes further to prove how senseless many nigerian youths are,I'm sure they are prolly happy school won't be on for a while,more time dedicated to their armed robbery and runs business.
ma'am i'm sure u're of the generation that wrecked nigeria and then turns arnd to say in our times.....
why would you make such a silly and judgemental statement.
Re: UNILAG Shut Down Over MAU Name Change Protests by TopDog1(m): 7:51pm On May 30, 2012
@ 4evergod3, ur ignorance and condescending attitude is appalling. It sucks big time. Its obvious u still got a lot to learn about life, about courtesy,about respect for other people's opinion on a public fora. For crying out loud,every one is entitled to their own opinion irrespective of how objective or subjective yours might seem. Its all perceptional at the end of the day. Your derogatory statement about someone's parent tell's a lot about you,your upbringing, and your intellectual capabilities. Dude,you need to broaden your horizon and enlarge your world view.
Now to focus on the issue @ stake,some pertinent questions need to be addressed. Who owns the University of Lagos? Who is the Visitor to the university? Who funds the university? Invariably if the FG owns the university,then they have the right to change not just the name of any federal university but also determine who heads the institution....its governing council,its chancellor.

Yet again,I ask,does the change of name of a university affect the brilliance of a brilliant student? Does it affect the dumbness of a dumb student? Yeah I 've heard people talk about brand name,in dis case the Unilag brand. Obviously we are forgetting certain core constituent of a brand,in this case,value derived or attached to the brand. Let the employers of labour determine the value of the Unilag brand....its student. Its not all about having swag or the name being razz. Let the market determine the value and quality of graduates churned out by the school.

While ur at it,remember Unilag didn't make the list of top 1000 universities in the world. Food for thought. I rest my case.

Re: UNILAG Shut Down Over MAU Name Change Protests by tonymusogo: 8:16pm On May 30, 2012
This is a message my friend sent to me:
1983 - 89 MKO Pry Sch, Adatan, Abeokuta. (Pry Sch Leaving Cert)
1990 - 95 Salawu Abiola Sec Sch Osiele, Abeokuta. (SSCE)
1996 - 1999 Moshood Abiola Poly, Abeokuta. (OND)
2000 - 2002 MKO Abiola Stadium, Abeokuta. (Field Officer)
2004 - 2009 Moshood Abiola University, Lagos (BA)
Pls kindly advice, is there any Abiola University abroad where I can do my Masters?

1 Like

Re: UNILAG Shut Down Over MAU Name Change Protests by Biggyd2: 8:21pm On May 30, 2012
You may kiss your bride
MAU oooo... MAU O

Kiss your bride
MAU oooo... MAU O...

grin grin grin grin grin grin

1 Like

Re: UNILAG Shut Down Over MAU Name Change Protests by smudge2079(m): 8:34pm On May 30, 2012
unilag students are senseless. U guys should b fighting ova otha thingz and not just a name change of ur institution. How is it going 2 affect ur BSC CERTIFICATE? Bloody undergratuates. I was in OAU d otha week and i saw d way all dis undagraduates behave...with deir larger than lyf attitudes. Common! D real lyf is outside d 4 walls of ur campuses, Grow up! Av seen it all, its all vanity. To clear ur doubt, am a graduate by d grace of GOD and i was humble thruout my sch days
Re: UNILAG Shut Down Over MAU Name Change Protests by smudge2079(m): 8:36pm On May 30, 2012
unilag students are senseless. U guys should b fighting ova otha thingz and not just a name change of ur institution. How is it going 2 affect ur BSC CERTIFICATE? Bloody undergratuates. I was in OAU d otha week and i saw d way all dis undagraduates behave...with deir larger than lyf attitudes. Common! D real lyf is outside d 4 walls of ur campuses, Grow up! Av seen it all, its all vanity. To clear ur doubt, am a graduate by d grace of GOD and i was humble thruout my sch days.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Which University Can I Study Medicine With Jamb Score Of 230? / Nairaland Interschool Debate Match Three:Abu ZariaVSIbadanpoly!WINNER:IBADANPOLY / Uniben School Fees Schedule

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 71
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.