Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,956 members, 7,817,811 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 08:10 PM

Why Do Yoruba Guys Mostly Marry Igbo Girls Than Vice Versa? - Culture (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Why Do Yoruba Guys Mostly Marry Igbo Girls Than Vice Versa? (27329 Views)

Why Do Yoruba Muslims & Hausa-fulani Muslims Not Inter-marry? / Why Do Yoruba Guys Marry Igbo Girls? / Igbo Girls . (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (13) (Go Down)

Re: Why Do Yoruba Guys Mostly Marry Igbo Girls Than Vice Versa? by Obiagu1(m): 12:00am On Jun 07, 2012
mimifonwon:

Bí a bá rí òkú ìkà nílẹ̀, tí a fi ẹsẹ̀ tá; ìkà-á di méji. se eyẹlé fi ẹ̀sín-in rẹ̀ pamọ́, ó ńṣe ẹ̀sín adìẹ. Who ever conjured that first line about my dad being igbo, i pray for you, and hope it made your life better trying to smear other people's image, i guess you are so miserable that all you have is this NL. Unfortunately for you i dont play with my character or image being smeared in anyway, ye nnom ensa a wo se shirt, mtcheww.
A kì í fi àìmọ̀nà dá pàdé-m̀-pàdé.Adìẹ́ yẹ̀gẹ̀, a ṣe bí ó ṣubú. Abi-Aṣiwèrè ló bí ìyá ọ̀bọ, Ayídóborí tafà sókè: ojú Olúwaá tó wọn.

Why are you speaking a language I can't understand? I hope no be curse you dey curse me so undecided
Re: Why Do Yoruba Guys Mostly Marry Igbo Girls Than Vice Versa? by FSU: 2:30am On Jun 07, 2012
If you do not speak Yoruba, you cannot marry a Yoruba girl. This is from a first rate experience and that is how tribalistic they are
Aside, English, Igbo men are second language non-compliant, so cant speak Yoruba. Therefore they cannot marry Yoruba

2 Likes

Re: Why Do Yoruba Guys Mostly Marry Igbo Girls Than Vice Versa? by Nobody: 2:42am On Jun 07, 2012
One_Naira:

shocked shocked grin grin grin grin grin I tell ya, if I start bringing out Igbo women quotes when they had a discussion on marriage on Facebook and topic, this ileke-idi girl go cry well wellu. They've spoken for themselves all over the internet, just because not many of them are NL member does not mean una need to spread false information about them. Haba, even on NL, on old threads when Igbo women dey for here, na you fight am to tell am they want yoruba men more than igbo men despite them disagreeing with you highly, na you fight Igbo men to tell am Igbo women no want am. Ogini kwa, n'ka bu na by force na by force. LMFAO. It is good to dream so carry on Ileke-idi. The way you talk when concerning Inter-tribal marriage pesin go think igbo women and yoruba men marriage surpasses that of Igbo women and other related ethnic groups like ijo, ibibio, efik. Na wa oo!!! for chest-beating with no head or tail but if it makes you feel better, more power to you. ROFLMFAO grin grin grin

Last bolded: The only person talking about Igbo men seeking Yoruba women but Yoruba women refusing is you ooo!!! As you can see every Igbo man on this thread pretty much just spoke their part. I don't get why you are trying to force this down our throat when we already spoke on it. It is good to dream sha even when reality is staring you in face as long as it makes you feel better.

Quote me and post crap again, see if I don't slap the flatness out of your forehead.

Do you guys really believe the jargons you spew on NL everyday? Since I've been on NL, I've yet to see Yoruba chics dying for Igbo men as y'all wanna claim. It must be hard feeling rejected from "ugly" women huh? Get over it.

2 Likes

Re: Why Do Yoruba Guys Mostly Marry Igbo Girls Than Vice Versa? by Nobody: 2:45am On Jun 07, 2012
One_Naira:

We all said this and Afam4eva summarized everything.

As for the side step: Imo opinion it has more to do with attitude than simply being a lagos/city born chick, if so Asaba, Enugu and even out of Nigeria Igbo women would have a hard time finding a spouse. Take a look at Genevive Nnaji, the woman beauty is ageless yet because of her terrible reputation, even though she cleaned up her image, still she's having a hard time finding a spouse. Its a shame to know she's waiting for an Igbo spouse. I personally do not see that becoming a reality anytime soon. Take a look at Vanessa Obonna, her sister, and even Tonto Dike, the three females even though they are fine die (excluding tonto), finding an Igbo spouse would be an impossible task for am. Few years ago during my mother's visit to US, I was watching some show with my family and the victoria secret commercial came on, my younger sister pointed out Oluchi and told my mother "she's Nigerian, she's Igbo, she's so cool" the next thing my mother did was point to oluchi again turned to my younger sister and said the following words "Unless she marries an oyinbo or a non-Igbo or a non-Asabian this girl would have a difficult time finding a spouse, don't follow her step". I of course mentioned she's married to an oyinbo and my mother nodded her head in agreement and told my sister "she's not cool, don't follow her steps". In conclusion to the story, it has more to do with attitude than simply being a lagos chick. Girls like Fifi Isiwu Umenyiora (born in Enugu, raised in Lagos) wouldn't have a hard time finding a spouse while her sister on the other hand would.

Your mother is simply a racist. . . . . if Oluchi had married a Yoruba man, she would have said something likely to that.

She, herself, is not a good role model.

1 Like

Re: Why Do Yoruba Guys Mostly Marry Igbo Girls Than Vice Versa? by Nobody: 2:47am On Jun 07, 2012
V_Official®:
ileke-idi and mimifonwon
come here and embrace each other oooo
let Naira 'oneness' continue... coz i'm thinking of inviting both of you to my birthday party tongue

Find something else to do and quit the cowardly instigation.

mimifonwon: who deleted my last post towards ileke-idi, and why? @V_official, personally i think that girl was just growing too much wings and i didnt say anything horrible, i just wanted to warn her to keep from bearing false witness against people, because i dont like people playing expensive jokes like that. Yeah i know people will say you need to have tough skin on NL, and that is the problem with nigerians, letting anyone say or do anything. Unfortunately am very fast to anger and dont like people lying with my name.#justsaying

NL spambot is programmed to automatically delete lies/deceit. Sorry

1 Like

Re: Why Do Yoruba Guys Mostly Marry Igbo Girls Than Vice Versa? by mimifonwon(f): 5:07am On Jun 07, 2012
alj harem:

Ok ma, but you just confrimed with I said earlier with your post. I would tell you categorically because I am a Yoruba man and please don't put a veil over people's eyes here. A yoruba man would marry anything in skirts so long as she is human. Igbo women have good qualities but again they are easy going more than their Yoruba and Northern counterparts.

Also I would like you to ask your mother, why she married your father so we/you can get a feel of what is going on.

You cannot come here and try to paint a picture that Yoruba men marry Igbo women because of their awesome qualities because that is a lie. I have those that are mixed in my family as well (half Yoruba half hausa) (half yoruba half ijaw) (half yoruba and half igbo) (half nigerian half another country). Looking at that spread one can conclude it is not specified to Igbo women or a form of segregation of Yoruba women.

The women in my family are married to Edo, Itsekiri, Hausa, fulani and even Ibibio. I am not talking of the nuclear family here but very extended family. Also take into account that I am a lagosian and lagos house the Highest Igbo concentration in the world of 60 % of 18 million people which amount to 10.8 million Igbos most of which are men doing business.

You find Yoruba men and Igbo women marry each other more not because of the quality of yoruba men or igbo women (average anyway) but because one would marry anything and the other is easy going.

There are rare instances where yoruba women marry Igbo men but again as I have told you before that they demand some standards couple with their Igbo men counterpart that are also proud in nature thus they have conflicting interests (basically ego clash).

Lol, anything for you!! I showed her the post and she showed it to my dad, and my dad was shocked on how tribalistic our generation is. As for iya mi, oboi she lectured me on being nice to people on line and not to cause anyone to commit suicide, so i have heard her. as for how my dad, she said that he was calm spirited, driven and not controlling, i asked her why she didnt marry an igbo man and she said she most dealt with yorubas than igbos, and jokingly she said she wanted a partner she can make do whatever she wants(by the way my mom is more of the hot temper,punisher,stubborn type, while my dad is the opposite, in a way its wird because its as if my dad is the wife and she the husband, and joke about it, my dad calls my mom his hobby(word play with hubby) and my mom cals him mgbeke'm( which is mostly used for village girls with natural beauty). My mom said that she saw what happened between her parents, where her father was so domineering, that even though they stayed married till my grandfather crooked at 93 in 2008, she said their union inspired her, but also terrified her especially when they fought, it was like "two elphants trying to make a stand." She said even though the fights scared her, it made her learn that husbands and wife fight sometimes to spice up their marriages, lol, and that is why 60 percent of the time she picks an argument with my papa. I guess they are a match made in heaven. Me personally am more attracted to yoruba guys that igbo mainly because i know how controlling and hot temper igbo men can get, and i know the day my husband raises his hand on me, he will not wake up the next day.
Re: Why Do Yoruba Guys Mostly Marry Igbo Girls Than Vice Versa? by Nobody: 5:08am On Jun 07, 2012
mimifonwon:

Lol, anything for you!! I showed her the post and she showed it to my dad, and my dad was shocked on how tribalistic our generation is. As for iya mi, oboi she lectured me on being nice to people on line and not to cause anyone to commit suicide, so i have heard her. as for how my dad, she said that he was calm spirited, driven and not controlling, i asked her why she didnt marry an igbo man and she said she most dealt with yorubas than igbos, and jokingly she said she wanted a partner she can make do whatever she wants(by the way my mom is more of the hot temper,punisher,stubborn type, while my dad is the opposite, in a way its wird because its as if my dad is the wife and she the husband, and joke about it, my dad calls my mom his hobby(word play with hubby) and my mom cals him mgbeke'm( which is mostly used for village girls with natural beauty). My mom said that she saw what happened between her parents, where her father was so domineering, that even though they stayed married till my grandfather crooked at 93 in 2008, she said their union inspired her, but also terrified her especially when they fought, it was like "two elphants trying to make a stand." She said even though the fights scared her, it made her learn that husbands and wife fight sometimes to spice up their marriages, lol, and that is why 60 percent of the time she picks an argument with my papa. I guess they are a match made in heaven. Me personally am more attracted to yoruba guys that igbo mainly because i know how controlling and hot temper igbo men can get, and i know the day my husband raises his hand on me, he will not wake up the next day.

According to Igbo men, your mother was an outcast, and unwanted by Igbo men. Basically, she was the lowest in the food chain.

Stop forming story. . . .
Re: Why Do Yoruba Guys Mostly Marry Igbo Girls Than Vice Versa? by ezotik: 5:10am On Jun 07, 2012
lol, odumchi why did u hide my post?
Re: Why Do Yoruba Guys Mostly Marry Igbo Girls Than Vice Versa? by Nobody: 5:13am On Jun 07, 2012
mimifonwon:

Did your mom tell you how she was classified as an outcast?

1 Like

Re: Why Do Yoruba Guys Mostly Marry Igbo Girls Than Vice Versa? by mimifonwon(f): 5:14am On Jun 07, 2012
ezotik: Quote hidden

only those who give audience to bull-ish (curse word modified), will let it affect them. when look and read what you guys write i see young people searching for themselves and though i might critique and get offended, you have the right to say what you want as long as its not overtly rude. Life is a stage and we most all play a part. smiley
Re: Why Do Yoruba Guys Mostly Marry Igbo Girls Than Vice Versa? by odumchi: 5:19am On Jun 07, 2012
ezotik: lol, odumchi why did u hide my post?

I think you know, lol.

Anyway... @ Everyone

this is the last time I'm asking everyone to cool down. All I'm asking is that you guys say whatever you have to say without verbally abusing each other. I hope that's not too hard.
Re: Why Do Yoruba Guys Mostly Marry Igbo Girls Than Vice Versa? by Nobody: 5:21am On Jun 07, 2012
^^^ practice what you preach.

How is it an insult to call her mom an outcast when Onlytruth indirectly posted it. Why not delete his post?
Re: Why Do Yoruba Guys Mostly Marry Igbo Girls Than Vice Versa? by ezotik: 5:22am On Jun 07, 2012
odumchi:

I think you know, lol.

Anyway... @ Everyone

this is the last time I'm asking everyone to cool down. All I'm asking is that you guys say whatever you have to say without verbally abusing each other. I hope that's not too hard.

lol, yes i know. low-self esteem that is rampant in the east. mind you, i did not mention any tribe.
Re: Why Do Yoruba Guys Mostly Marry Igbo Girls Than Vice Versa? by odumchi: 5:31am On Jun 07, 2012
Ileke-IdI:
^^^ practice what you preach.

How is it an insult to call her mom an outcast when Onlytruth indirectly posted it. Why not delete his post?

I just checked the entire thread and didn't see anything of that sort. I think we should head back to the topic now. If you have any further complaints, you can always go here: https://www.nairaland.com/231979/complaints-notice-thread-serious

ezotik:

lol, yes i know. low-self esteem that is rampant in the east. mind you, i did not mention any tribe.

Cool story bro.
Re: Why Do Yoruba Guys Mostly Marry Igbo Girls Than Vice Versa? by Nobody: 5:36am On Jun 07, 2012
odumchi:

I just checked the entire thread and didn't see anything of that sort. I think we should head back to the topic now. If you have any further complaints, you can always go here: https://www.nairaland.com/231979/complaints-notice-thread-serious

Cool story bro.

You're blind?
Re: Why Do Yoruba Guys Mostly Marry Igbo Girls Than Vice Versa? by VOfficialR(m): 7:02am On Jun 07, 2012
Ileke-IdI:

Find something else to do and quit the cowardly instigation.

y do you write like no has ever loved you (brokn home-ish). do ya think ya'z g'on be given medal for having tha sharpest tongue ina 'here
Goodluck!!
Re: Why Do Yoruba Guys Mostly Marry Igbo Girls Than Vice Versa? by Nobody: 7:06am On Jun 07, 2012
V_Official®:

y do you write like no has ever loved you (brokn home-ish). do ya think ya'z g'on be given medal for having the sharpest tongue in 'here
Goodluck!!

I'm actually a gentle person. If you behave, you'll get to know that me. Ask mbatuku2, he knows the real nice sweet me

I just need you to stop instigating.
Re: Why Do Yoruba Guys Mostly Marry Igbo Girls Than Vice Versa? by VOfficialR(m): 7:10am On Jun 07, 2012
not instigating yoou dear, i know we're just here to catch fun n' learn more...
the choice of 'ileke-idi' as a username is even appaling... i'm sure u'll be very creative to choose that... smiley
Re: Why Do Yoruba Guys Mostly Marry Igbo Girls Than Vice Versa? by Nobody: 7:16am On Jun 07, 2012
V_Official®:
not instigating yoou dear, i know we're just here to catch fun n' learn more...
the choice of 'ileke-idi' as a username is even appaling... i'm sure u'll be very creative to choose that... smiley

Oh boy, what do you know about that? wink
Re: Why Do Yoruba Guys Mostly Marry Igbo Girls Than Vice Versa? by VOfficialR(m): 7:20am On Jun 07, 2012
Ileke-IdI:

Oh boy, what do you know about that? wink
Mo gbó yorùbá now... Omo òyó Alaafin, ojo pa sekere omo atiba. bawo ni mi o no shey mo 'ibadi to ni ileke' tongue
Re: Why Do Yoruba Guys Mostly Marry Igbo Girls Than Vice Versa? by Nobody: 7:22am On Jun 07, 2012
V_Official®:

Mo gbó yorùbá now... Omo òyó Alaafin, ojo pa sekere omo atiba. bawo ni mi o no shey mo 'ibadi to ni ileke' tongue

Is that Yoruba? I dont understand written Yoruba.
Re: Why Do Yoruba Guys Mostly Marry Igbo Girls Than Vice Versa? by VOfficialR(m): 7:26am On Jun 07, 2012
Ileke-IdI:

Is that Yoruba? I dont understand written Yoruba.
:O
ok... i asserted my claim as a bonafide yoruba guy. so, i-said... why won't i know a 'booty with beads' when i see one... tongue
Re: Why Do Yoruba Guys Mostly Marry Igbo Girls Than Vice Versa? by Nobody: 2:21pm On Jun 07, 2012
If you grew up in Lagos, you are more likely not to put ethnicity as a criteria for who you want to date. That is the beauty of Lagos, you get to see people, not tribe cool. If you don't want your kids to think like that, it's best you remain in the East and marry yourselves. This also goes to people that grew up in Osogbo, Ikole-ekiti, etc. . .marry your type of people. To put things lightly in order not to ruffle some feathers grin, many Igbo girls in Lagos would tell you they prefer Yoruba guys or Igbo guys that grew up in Lagos (not even someone that transferred here for 'business' lmao) or anywhere apart from the East. The thinking is just different. I mean who wants to be hearing about Biafra, Biafra all the time grin. So it's all for the best you guys specifically date chics from the East. They 'understand' your 'moods' better.
Re: Why Do Yoruba Guys Mostly Marry Igbo Girls Than Vice Versa? by Afam4eva(m): 2:31pm On Jun 07, 2012
stillwater: If you grew up in Lagos, you are more likely not to put ethnicity as a criteria for who you want to date. That is the beauty of Lagos, you get to see people, not tribe cool. If you don't want your kids to think like that, it's best you remain in the East and marry yourselves. This also goes to people that grew up in Osogbo, Ikole-ekiti, etc. . .marry your type of people. To put things lightly in order not to ruffle some feathers grin, many Igbo girls in Lagos would tell you they prefer Yoruba guys or Igbo guys that grew up in Lagos (not even someone that transferred here for 'business' lmao) or anywhere apart from the East. The thinking is just different. I mean who wants to be hearing about Biafra, Biafra all the time grin. So it's all for the best you guys specifically date chics from the East. They 'understand' your 'moods' better.
I think using "some" should have sufficed. Btw, that someone grew up in lagos does not mean the person will not care about the ethniciity of a prospective spouse. You can come from Ogbomoso to lagos and be associating with only your kind, so it won't make any difference. It's only people that mix up with people from different tribes that usually marry from any tribe. But that is not absolute as you can see as Igbo guy with 60% Yoruba friends, 5% Urhobo friendstill ending up marrying someone from his village. Some times parental pressure plays a part. if everyone were given a freehand to choose who they want to marry, then the rate of inter-tribal marraiges will sky rocket.
Re: Why Do Yoruba Guys Mostly Marry Igbo Girls Than Vice Versa? by Nobody: 2:54pm On Jun 07, 2012
I'm the girl here, I'm more likely to interact and discuss with many Igbo girls. The girls who are bent on marrying an Igbo man mostly grew up in the East. I'm just saying it as it is since everyone is making a statement and attaching FACT to it, lol. I've also noticed Igbo men are more tribalistic compared to the women. So Igbo men sticking to that idea is not surprising, though Igbo men that grew up in Lagos, America are less tribalistic. In marriage you need someone that understands your pattern of thinking. A Lagos babe would prefer these types of Igbo men or Yoruba men. To Onlytruth, nobody is desperate, in fact Igbo girls are spoilt for choices here. Men will always be the ones to ask a woman out. Because the man is Yoruba does not mean she's desperate. Only a silly girl would throw a good man away because of tribe.

Btw, that someone grew up in lagos does not mean the person will not care about the ethniciity of a prospective spouse.

That is why I said you are more [i]likely [/i]not to attach ethnicity in choosing a partner if you lived in Lagos compared to your counterparts in other states. wink
Re: Why Do Yoruba Guys Mostly Marry Igbo Girls Than Vice Versa? by Afam4eva(m): 3:08pm On Jun 07, 2012
stillwater: I'm the girl here, I'm more likely to interact and discuss with many Igbo girls. The girls who are bent on marrying an Igbo man mostly grew up in the East. I'm just saying it as it is since everyone is making a statement and attaching FACT to it, lol. I've also noticed Igbo men are more tribalistic compared to the women. So Igbo men sticking to that idea is not surprising, though Igbo men that grew up in Lagos, America are less tribalistic. In marriage you need someone that understands your pattern of thinking. A Lagos babe would prefer these types of Igbo men or Yoruba men. To Onlytruth, nobody is desperate, in fact Igbo girls are spoilt for choices here. Men will always be the ones to ask a woman out. Because the man is Yoruba does not mean she's desperate. Only a silly girl would throw a good man away because of tribe.wink
So, are you implying that i'm tribalistic by marrying an Igbo girl? An Igbo girl in Lagos or any other cosmopolitan city no matter who she associates with, is still 90% likely to marry her fellow Igbo. Tell the ratio of Igbo girls you see marrying outsiders compared to those that marry igbo men.

1 Like

Re: Why Do Yoruba Guys Mostly Marry Igbo Girls Than Vice Versa? by NRIPRIEST(m): 3:21pm On Jun 07, 2012
afam4eva:
So, are you implying that i'm tribalistic by marrying an Igbo girl? An Igbo girl in Lagos or any other cosmopolitan city no matter who she associates with, is still 90% likely to marry her fellow Igbo. Tell the ratio of Igbo girls you see marrying outsiders compared to those that marry igbo men.

No Afam,98% of Igbo girls born in Lagos will outrightly prefer to marry an Igboman!
Re: Why Do Yoruba Guys Mostly Marry Igbo Girls Than Vice Versa? by Nobody: 3:22pm On Jun 07, 2012
^^^No now. We are just talking in general speech, at the end of the day you do what's in your mind. But it's still silly to throw a good partner away because of tribe. Hope you agree with me on that.

afam4eva:

OOOhh so you can say that. But when it comes to Yoruba ladies you people act as if 90% of the time they won't marry their own kind.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (13)

Olubadan-In-Council Declares Eze Ndigbo Illegal / Calabar Carnival No Longer About Promoting Our Culture / Would You Marry An Osu?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 81
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.