Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,717 members, 7,824,030 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 08:52 PM

Wole Soyinka Opposes UNILAG/MAU Renaming - Politics (12) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Wole Soyinka Opposes UNILAG/MAU Renaming (27943 Views)

Bishop Oyedepo Said He Will Open The Gates Of Hell On Whoever Opposes GEJ. / Senate Approves UNILAG Renaming / Sagay, Others Differ Over Renaming Of UNILAG In Honour Of Abiola (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Wole Soyinka Opposes UNILAG/MAU Renaming by hitmanogo: 2:19pm On May 31, 2012
Where was Soyinka when fashola sacked 788 doctors inlagos? Something more pathetic. Abeg let Soyinka keep quiet.... It is evident he is biased against Jonathan...he should remove the speck in his eyes before he can see the log in Jonathan's eye.....

1 Like

Re: Wole Soyinka Opposes UNILAG/MAU Renaming by bayfam(m): 2:22pm On May 31, 2012
Some pple must talk shaa,so all those Governing Council of the University are Figure head because itLs Federal Univ' they need not to be told B4 any action is taken by fed' govt....maybe soon ur family name will be change to Ebere.....am not against d change atall but d process n it shld be more if not we shld just accept dat,because is PDP in power,let all other parties wake up and vote dem out..abi una never get tired of PDP.
Re: Wole Soyinka Opposes UNILAG/MAU Renaming by Kobojunkie: 2:22pm On May 31, 2012
hitmanogo: Where was Soyinka when fashola sacked 788 doctors inlagos?
That is a very good question.
Re: Wole Soyinka Opposes UNILAG/MAU Renaming by ayobase(m): 2:24pm On May 31, 2012
coogar:

sadly, nigeria is not a developed world.
in a developed world, unruly students won't
take to the streets because of such a minor issue.
so why do you expect the government to act like they are
in a developed world when the citizens behave like depraved animals?

parent/child? then education should be free if it's parent-child.
it's a landlord/property relationship. the students are tenants.
the authorities @ unilag are the caretaker and jonathan goodluck is the supreme landlord.

except that the name change did not affect the reputation/prestige of university of ife!!!
the students took it in their strides and moved on. within a matter of years, oau even became
louder than unife. why are unilag students behaving like hoodlums? the name change does not
reduce the value of unilag. it's still the most prestigious school in lagos state. it would not
reduce their standard(cut-off marks) neither will it fail to attract the best brains in nigeria.
Re: Wole Soyinka Opposes UNILAG/MAU Renaming by ayobase(m): 2:28pm On May 31, 2012
all4naija: Please, stop saying all these! It makes the Nigerian citizens to be looked down upon by foreigners. It doesn't speak good of the people. That's not what the law says.

But the truth all the way.
OccupyNaija...what happened?
Nathin!
Re: Wole Soyinka Opposes UNILAG/MAU Renaming by ayobase(m): 2:32pm On May 31, 2012
shymmex: I don't really know much about the educational system in Nigeria, but what I can deduce from the debate so far is that - the president didn't follow the due course in changing the name of the university.. Let's all agree that he was wrong - but how does that change the 'content'?

Is it me, or is it that the Nigerian psyche values the name of a thing - than the actual content?

How does the name change affects the value of the degree? Since, it's still the same university, the same edifice, the same Nigerian qualification (which won't get a job in a civilized country), and the same tutors?

Where were these students when the oil cabals were exposed by the national assembly?

Much ado about nothing - though I'm not a fan of the MKO guy.

Excuse me!
What do u mean by....
''....which won't get a job in a civilised country.''

1 Like

Re: Wole Soyinka Opposes UNILAG/MAU Renaming by dakronik(m): 2:35pm On May 31, 2012
Breeze don blow, fowl nyash don show....heheeee.. So all d talk about JUNE 12 was a ruse? Dis confirms the theory that the yorubas used Abiola for there own selfish gains.. Please if we have OAU, LAUTECH, AAU(AJASIN) named after these yoruba heroes why should people protest naming UNILAG MAULAG js bcoz as some stupid ones put it: the name UNILAG is trendy...yoruba una don show sey una no rily like M.K.O :oBreeze don blow, fowl nyash don show....heheeee.. So all d talk about JUNE 12 was a ruse? Dis confirms the theory that the yorubas used Abiola for there own selfish gains.. Please if we have OAU, LAUTECH, AAU(AJASIN) named after these yoruba heroes why should people protest naming UNILAG MAULAG js bcoz as some stupid ones put it: the name UNILAG is trendy...yoruba una don show sey una no rily like M.K.O
Re: Wole Soyinka Opposes UNILAG/MAU Renaming by alahamad(m): 2:48pm On May 31, 2012
@ cooger....no need to comment on ur "lugubriuos" falacy cos ur brain is entwined in a state of dismah-bismah....fcuktard
Re: Wole Soyinka Opposes UNILAG/MAU Renaming by karpentar: 2:56pm On May 31, 2012
I'm not saying that you do not have the authority to paint your house as you like, but you cannot just go ahead and paint without notifying the tenants.
There's usually a signed contract.

Now knowing that Unilag is FG owned, it still does not excuse the disrespectful steps GEJ took towards renaming the school.
According to your logic, since it's FG owned, if the students and staff don't like it, then they can leave. So if they do leave, what exactly is there to own?

Looking at this at a larger angle, GEJ is ruling the nation without regards to its occupants. May 29th was supposed to be about celebrating democracy, so is democracy not about the people? Is democracy not about serving the people?

Of what use is notifying the tenants when their opinion on painting the house is of no consequence? Regardless of how they feel about it, I possibly will still proceed with my intentions. So, what’s the use letting them know in the first place? Complete waste of time!!! For this reason, GEJ hasn’t done anything wrong or disrespected anybody. My only major concern is that my beloved university is named after a thief. I weep!!!!!!
I'm not saying that you do not have the authority to paint your house as you like, but you cannot just go ahead and paint without notifying the tenants.

Now knowing that Unilag is FG owned, it still does not excuse the disrespectful steps GEJ took towards renaming the school.
According to your logic, since it's FG owned, if the students and staff don't like it, then they can leave. So if they do leave, what exactly is there to own?

Looking at this at a larger angle, GEJ is ruling the nation without regards to its occupants. May 29th was supposed to be about celebrating democracy, so is democracy not about the people? Is democracy not about serving the people?

Of what use is notifying the tenants when their opinion on painting the house is of no consequence? Regardless of how they feel about it, I possibly will still proceed with my intentions. So, what’s the use letting them know in the first place? Complete waste of time!!! For this reason, GEJ hasn’t done anything wrong or disrespected anybody. My only major concern is that my beloved university is named after a thief. I weep!!!!!!

Re: Wole Soyinka Opposes UNILAG/MAU Renaming by kinguwem: 2:56pm On May 31, 2012
No federal university is autonomous. Their sustenance is dependent on funding by the FG. Universities should focus more on research projects and proper utilization of FG subventions. Autonomy is associated with self-sustenance. Unilag is a FG institution and the FG has the authority to rename the institution. The renaming of Unilag to immortalize MKO is commendable.
Re: Wole Soyinka Opposes UNILAG/MAU Renaming by coogar: 3:06pm On May 31, 2012
al-ahamad:
@ cooger....no need to comment on ur "lugubriuos" falacy cos ur brain is entwined in a state of dismah-bismah....fcuktard

this half-wit is still justifying his idiocy on a public forum.
you should have been aborted!
Re: Wole Soyinka Opposes UNILAG/MAU Renaming by Ugosample(m): 3:07pm On May 31, 2012
We would never recognize the name. It is University of Lagos we know and we will forever know. Mko is overhyped, and this a criminal who declared himself president. Why should his name be on my certificate?
Re: Wole Soyinka Opposes UNILAG/MAU Renaming by Nobody: 3:16pm On May 31, 2012
Re: Wole Soyinka Opposes UNILAG/MAU Renaming by snellsun(m): 3:35pm On May 31, 2012
coogar:

you really agree with the don on this?

what difference does it make? unilag, maulag or malulag?
the university is owned by the federal government...the vice chancellor
was appointed by the federal government. the federal government pays the
salaries of the staff.....are you saying they cannot name their own establishment
any name they so wish?

if you build a house and rent it to tenants, you need their blessings to paint it?
gate it? put a borehole or whatever? i just believe nigerians have their priorities
misplaced. does the change of name devalue the certificate? does it increase the fees
paid by the students? jonathan is indeed a mumu. if i were the president, i would have
deployed a thousand s.w.a.t. teams to make those unruly tools some target practice.

u speak witout wisdom. just go thru wat u av just written again and see ur ignorance.
Re: Wole Soyinka Opposes UNILAG/MAU Renaming by Nobody: 3:37pm On May 31, 2012
hitmanogo: Where was Soyinka when fashola sacked 788 doctors inlagos? Something more pathetic. Abeg let Soyinka keep quiet.... It is evident he is biased against Jonathan...he should remove the speck in his eyes before he can see the log in Jonathan's eye.....

Don't mix apples with oranges! Due process was followed in sacking the merciless Lagos Doctors. Queries were issued, those who replied the queries are still working today. Some that have shown remorse might still be considered. Those who preferred to test the will of government are now fighting in court.

By the way, Soyinka himself acknowledged that GEJ did the right perhaps in a wrong manner.
......While applauding the president for finally taking the bull by the horn and rendering honour unto whom honour is due.........

Carry your "robust hatred" (apology to Reuben Abati) to another thread!
Re: Wole Soyinka Opposes UNILAG/MAU Renaming by denzel2009: 3:45pm On May 31, 2012
coogar:

you really agree with the don on this?

what difference does it make? unilag, maulag or malulag?
the university is owned by the federal government...the vice chancellor
was appointed by the federal government. the federal government pays the
salaries of the staff.....are you saying they cannot name their own establishment
any name they so wish?

if you build a house and rent it to tenants, you need their blessings to paint it?
gate it? put a borehole or whatever? i just believe nigerians have their priorities
misplaced. does the change of name devalue the certificate? does it increase the fees
paid by the students? jonathan is indeed a mumu. if i were the president, i would have
deployed a thousand s.w.a.t. teams to make those unruly tools some target practice.

It makes a lot of difference changing names be it human being or an establishment. Do you know the stress women go through after marriage and adopting their husband's name? Apart from that, if you set up a company and run it for just 2 months and decide to change the name, the process you will go through with companies house and the alteration of your company's articles coupled with various resolutions to that effect will make you think twice.

Some nutter just woke up one morning with his charcoal face and speedboat of a hat and decides to change the name of an institution of higher learning without due consultations and brainstorming of the the effects of the change.

The universities that have had a change of name such as OOU and OAU still refer to the school as OSU and Ife. Name change is not a joke!
Re: Wole Soyinka Opposes UNILAG/MAU Renaming by ayobase(m): 3:48pm On May 31, 2012
all4naija: I said to not of. Yes, you do that through the law and the school law has not be consulted in this case. Even, if they take it to the court of law it can be vetoed by the president. I still think the due path needs to be followed when doing things in an organized way. Not until the nation leaders learn to be organized the country will remain the way it is.

I gez GEJ is neutral and simple.He does whats necessary and not whats right!
What about that!
Re: Wole Soyinka Opposes UNILAG/MAU Renaming by Eziachi: 3:50pm On May 31, 2012
odumorun 1: I strongly disagree with Wole Soyinka on this.

The furore regarding the renaming of Unilag is elitist posturing of the worst kind, dressed up in the garb of democratic protestation. This has nothing to do with anger that the council of the university was not consulted. The university and its senate and governing council do not fund the school. The school is funded by the federal government from the federal purse representing millions of hardworking Nigerians most of whose kids will never enjoy the benfit of a university education let alone a prestigious one like Unilag.

The storm in a tea cup is another example of middle class Nigerians, particularly yoruba ones (the most snobbish and self regarding version and yes i am a Yoruba) refusing to be associated with a person largely revered by the poorer classes. The same happened when Uiversity of Ife was renamed in 1987 in honour of Obafemi Awolowo, when a few hundred students largely of middle class origin demonstrated their objection, while the poor people in the town, carpentars, shoe makers, tailors and others who benefited from awo's reforms celebrated.

This is all about a few priviledged and educated yoruba people wanting to retain what they see as an eleitis label placing them apart from the majority of the population whom they secretly despise. If the school had been named after Barack Obama would they be protesting, even if it was done without consultation - Of course they wouldn't - they'll probably be fantasising about getting an easy visa ride in the American embassy.

Wole Soyinka is a radical and progressive Nigerian but his elitism is a well known flaw which is why he has never inspite of his undoubted courage been able to buod a mass following for his ideas.

Unilag is funded by the majority of the people of this country, not the students or their lecturers. Most ordiany Nigerians respect the sacrifices people like abiola made - they, not the spolit middle class kids kicking up a fuss in Unilag are the majority. The noisy minority in Unilag should be ignored. they will son go back to their Ipads

If they don't like the name when they receive their degrees let them rip them up. They don't own the school, the people do -i've not seen any demonstrations in mushin, shomolu, bere or sabongari against it.

If wole is not happy let him write a poem about his fury. He is a great man, but on this occasion he is wrong

It will be interesting to hear your full explanation of elitist in this discussion, because in your words it seem to me that you believed that- UNILAG sounds very posh which suits those you term elite, while MUALAG isn't as posh, therefore MAULAG is a water down version of UNILAG, just to punishment to your so-called elite?
Some times, some of you do over use this word called elite. Elitism is not just found around political but cultural, academical, infact all aspect of life, so I can't understand your invocation of the word elite as those opposing Jonathan desecration of a firmly established institution with over half a century history.
Re: Wole Soyinka Opposes UNILAG/MAU Renaming by roundtone: 3:51pm On May 31, 2012
kinguwem: No federal university is autonomous. Their sustenance is dependent on funding by the FG. Universities should focus more on research projects and proper utilization of FG subventions. Autonomy is associated with self-sustenance. Unilag is a FG institution and the FG has the authority to rename the institution. The renaming of Unilag to immortalize MKO is commendable.

....hmmm it is actually dependent on funding by the TAX payers. The FG is an elected representative of the TAX payers and the people of the Federal Rebublic of Nigeria. All resources used by the FG is owned by Nigerians be it in taxes or natural resources. Therefore, the people have a say in what FG does and have a right to protest and that my friend is the beauty of democracy.
The FG does not have the authority to do anything if it is not granted to FG by the law of the land. FG is not the master and the people the subjects, FG is merely a representative of the people and only one of the 3 institutions responsible for governance of Nigeria.

2 Likes

Re: Wole Soyinka Opposes UNILAG/MAU Renaming by ayobase(m): 4:11pm On May 31, 2012
2good:

President Jonathan is not the absolute owner of the Federal Government so he has no monopoly over every decision made by it. Federal government have 3 arms: Executive, legislative and Judiciary. University of Ife was renamed by the military where laws are decreed and implemented with no negotiation with the general public. Is that what you call democracy? We can as well go back to the military era because I see not a single sign of improvement in the quality if life of Nigerians since we switched back to civilian rule. I can also see that you obviously did not attend University of Lagos hence your indifference to whatever happens to it and also who gave you the impression that it is meant for the rich or elite? For the fact that many people find it difficult to get in does not mean that there are no smart people from poor home studying there.
The point is Mr president have to follow due process. Barrack Obama the most powerful man on earth, have been finding it difficult to pass lots of bills because congress just wont agree with his policies. That is what you call democracy where people discuss overtime to get a collective majority agreement.
If things continue the way they are going, Nigeria will not work on the long run because we are just postponing when a ticking time bomb will explode. Enough with dictatorship from so called civilian presidents

One point noted.
Lets go back to military rule!
Re: Wole Soyinka Opposes UNILAG/MAU Renaming by Eziachi: 4:18pm On May 31, 2012
PStylish: Wow.
When people become too wise, they eventually become st.upid. That is the case with many Yorubas. They usually do not know what they want.
Some people are just against the present administration and will kick against anything that comes from it.
Thankfully, there will always be peeps like me who will put over sabi yorubas in check from time to time.
Its either Unilag or MAU or the like.That should be ok with everyone.ABU,OAU,ATBU,BUK were renamed with an intentional bias for their regions.

Don't bring your tribal nonsense into this as this got nothing to do with Yoruba or any tribe but common sense.
I am an Igbo man and when this news first broke, my first thought was- not again!
SAME THOUGHT WHEN IFE'S IDENTITY WAS STOLEN AND RENAMED AFTER AWOLOWO. I had always maintained that this got NOTHING to do with the individual personalities but the fact that this institutions are very old and had over the years carved out their own images based on their established names.
You cannot just jump in and change it. Another president may come tomorrow and name it after his mother, then what? Just because he can, where does it end?
This why this desecration of universities, especially the older ones as political football to play with should stop.
If they are to build a fresh university that will start with the name of this individuals, that is fine.
The name of this institution like UNILAG carries the history of millions that had graduated from it over the years and it parts and parcel of whom they are and form parts of their lives and cannot be tampered it by external forces just because they hold few years of political power. As you might as well change the name of those alumni too.
The University I attended in Scotland was founded in 1583 and still bear the same name in 2012, that is in a sane country where people appreciate and understand the importance in a name, continuity and history.
Re: Wole Soyinka Opposes UNILAG/MAU Renaming by coogar: 4:38pm On May 31, 2012
snellsun:
u speak witout wisdom. just go thru wat u av just written again and see ur ignorance.

you're a silly hilly billy!
what i wrote has more wisdom than your entire being.

denzel2009:
It makes a lot of difference changing names be it human being or an establishment. Do you know the stress women go through after marriage and adopting their husband's name? Apart from that, if you set up a company and run it for just 2 months and decide to change the name, the process you will go through with companies house and the alteration of your company's articles coupled with various resolutions to that effect will make you think twice.

but it's still done. why didn't paying customers protest when econet
became v-mobile and fuckever name they call themselves now? why didn't
nigerians protest when nepa became phcn...the only thing constant in life is
"change"

Some nutter just woke up one morning with his charcoal face and speedboat of a hat and decides to change the name of an institution of higher learning without due consultations and brainstorming of the the effects of the change.
The universities that have had a change of name such as OOU and OAU still refer to the school as OSU and Ife. Name change is not a joke!

thanx for making this point.
we would still refer maul as unilag but for now, they should
take the name with pleasure and move on with their lives.
the name maul does not devalue the certificate or change the
dynamics.

1 Like

Re: Wole Soyinka Opposes UNILAG/MAU Renaming by Nobody: 5:20pm On May 31, 2012
I know that this is directed towards me, but could you plz clean it up a bit? No disrespect.

I'm not sure which post you intend to quote since some of my posts are still part of your response.

karpentar:

Re: Wole Soyinka Opposes UNILAG/MAU Renaming by denzel2009: 5:31pm On May 31, 2012
coogar:

you're a silly hilly billy!
what i wrote has more wisdom than your entire being.

but it's still done. why didn't paying customers protest when econet
became v-mobile and fuckever name they call themselves now? why didn't
nigerians protest when nepa became phcn...the only thing constant in life is
"change".

You see, the stakeholders are different. Apart from the cost implications, the process of verification and sending of student transcripts to other higher institutions around the world and the discrepancies which would need to be explained every now and then.
Why can't he just immortalize him by changing the unilag MBA program to MKO Abiola business school or something in that respect.
Re: Wole Soyinka Opposes UNILAG/MAU Renaming by kangasomti: 5:34pm On May 31, 2012
[font=Lucida Sans Unicode][/font][i][/i]NORTHSHARP:My response to another poster who had expressed a similar view as yours above (in one of the other threads on this issue) goes as follows:

It is not fair or reasonable for anyone to accuse Yoruba individuals or groups of 'not liking themselves' because they oppose this ill-advised decision, just as it would be unfair and unreasonable for anyone to accuse the Igbos of 'not liking themselves' when they vehemently resist any idea of renaming the University of Nigeria, Nsukka, after ANY Igbo personality!

Zik and Ojukwu were arguably the two greatest Igbo leaders in the history of Nigeria, yet no FG could dare rename the 'University of Nigeria' after either of them, neither at their deaths nor subsequently!

In fact, the Igbos so much cherish the name 'University of Nigeria' that many of them would interpret any suggestion at renaming the university after ANYBODY as being a 'conspiracy' to deny the Igbos the prestige of having the only university in Nigeria that bears that unique name: 'University of Nigeria'.

To a lesser extent, the name 'University of Lagos' also enjoys similar prestige of being the only university that is so uniquely described as the university of Lagos; so apart from its excellent academic reputation, the university also enjoys being so uniquely associated with the most important, most popular, most vibrant city in our country - Lagos.!

So the questions that may come to mind are:

1. If the GEJ govt could not dare rename the UNN after even the GREATEST IGBO personality (Ujukwu) AT HIS DEATH RECENTLY; with all the apparently genuine respect and admiration president GEJ personally has for the late Ikemba as witnessed at the latter's funeral; and with all the brotherly and neighbourly goodwill that apparently exists between GEJ and the Igbos, then how come GEJ found it so imperative at this time to rename UNILAG after MKO Abiola?

2. Why would GEJ want to immortalize the name of the late MKO Abiola with the re-naming of one of the 5 first generation universities in Nigeria after him, yet he could not think of according the same respect and privilege to the late Ikemba, for whom he apparently has even much more respect?

3. Did the FG make proper consultations, with all the relevant stake-holders, before taking this step? How widely did they consult, if at all they did?

4. Could there be some people somewhere, not necessarily GEJ himself, who are not comfortable that UNILAG was the only university that is described as 'University of Lagos', therefore they want to see it so re-named, maybe just after anybody, or anything, as long as their ill-motivated goal is achieved?

I have immense respect for the late MKO Abiola, mainly for his well-known, and nationally spread, philanthropic work and for the prominent role he played, and the ultimate sacrifice he made, in ending military dictatorship in the country; yet as an alumnus of UNILAG, I do not support renaming it after him, for the same reason that the Igbos would resist any idea of renaming the UNN after anybody, no matter how much they respect that person!

[b]NORTHSHARP:My response to another poster who had expressed a similar view as yours above (in one of the other threads on this issue) goes as follows:

It is not fair or reasonable for anyone to accuse Yoruba individuals or groups of 'not liking themselves' because they oppose this ill-advised decision, just as it would be unfair and unreasonable for anyone to accuse the Igbos of 'not liking themselves' when they vehemently resist any idea of renaming the University of Nigeria, Nsukka, after ANY Igbo personality!

Zik and Ojukwu were arguably the two greatest Igbo leaders in the history of Nigeria, yet no FG could dare rename the 'University of Nigeria' after either of them, neither at their deaths nor subsequently!

In fact, the Igbos so much cherish the name 'University of Nigeria' that many of them would interpret any suggestion at renaming the university after ANYBODY as being a 'conspiracy' to deny the Igbos the prestige of having the only university in Nigeria that bears that unique name: 'University of Nigeria'.

To a lesser extent, the name 'University of Lagos' also enjoys similar prestige of being the only university that is so uniquely described as the university of Lagos; so apart from its excellent academic reputation, the university also enjoys being so uniquely associated with the most important, most popular, most vibrant city in our country - Lagos.!

1. If the GEJ govt could not dare rename the UNN after even the GREATEST IGBO personality (Ujukwu) AT HIS DEATH RECENTLY; with all the apparently genuine respect and admiration president GEJ personally has for the late Ikemba as witnessed at the latter's funeral; and with all the brotherly and neighbourly goodwill that apparently exists between GEJ and the Igbos, then how come GEJ found it so imperative at this time to rename UNILAG after MKO Abiola?

2. Why would GEJ want to immortalize the name of the late MKO Abiola with the re-naming of one of the 5 first generation universities in Nigeria after him, yet he could not think of according the same respect and privilege to the late Ikemba, for whom he apparently has even much more respect?

3. Did the FG make proper consultations, with all the relevant stake-holders, before taking this step? How widely did they consult, if at all they did?

4. Could there be some people somewhere, not necessarily GEJ himself, who are not comfortable that UNILAG was the only university that is described as 'University of Lagos', therefore they want to see it so re-named, maybe just after anybody, or anything, as long as their ill-motivated goal is achieved?

I have immense respect for the late MKO Abiola, mainly for his well-known, and nationally spread, philanthropic work and for the prominent role he played, and the ultimate sacrifice he made, in ending military dictatorship in the country; yet as an alumnus of UNILAG, I do not support renaming it after him, for the same reason that the Igbos would resist any idea of renaming the UNN after anybody, no matter how much they respect that person!

[/b]NORTHSHARP:My response to another poster who had expressed a similar view as yours above (in one of the other threads on this issue) goes as follows:

PLS STOP TALKING WHAT YOU DON'T KNOW. ZIK CATEGORICALLY REJECTED THE RE-NAMING SENSE THE PLOY TO RE-NAME UNIABJ AS UNIVERSITY OF NIGERIA. PLS CONFORM TO THE ARGUMENT AT HAND.
Re: Wole Soyinka Opposes UNILAG/MAU Renaming by Kobojunkie: 5:38pm On May 31, 2012
denzel2009:

You see, the stakeholders are different. Apart from the cost implications, the process of verification and sending of student transcripts to other higher institutions around the world and the discrepancies which would need to be explained every now and then.
Why can't he just immortalize him by changing the unilag MBA program to MKO Abiola business school or something in that respect.

And we do that because he was some business giant, right?? ?? undecided undecided undecided undecided
Re: Wole Soyinka Opposes UNILAG/MAU Renaming by odumorun1: 6:12pm On May 31, 2012
Were dun wo ni oja, ko sebi lomo (we all applaud the antics of the bold and unconventional, but would not want to share a name with them)

That is the only way to describe the juvenile reaction of Unilag students to the renaming of their school to honour a man who laid down his life in the struggle against dictatorship. There have been a lot of spurious arguments not least on this board defending the students and condemning the name change Let us examine them

STUDENTS WERE NOT CONSULTED - Kongi wades in

24 hours before the name change, most of those demonstrating students would probably have sworn by MKO and June 12. However when called upon to put their money where their mouth is, they revealed their cowardice and treachery.

Many of them have been emboldened by the statements of our dear old kongi - Prof Wole Soyinka and have concealed their selfish reasons for not wanting the name change behind the supposedly undemocratic nature of the change

However apart from the Pyrates Confraternity, who did Wole consult in the populace before he unleashed his zealous road safety corps on us. Did he consult the key stakeholders (Nigerian motorists) before he took a dictators gold and set up his road safety brigade in the 90’s.

If GEJ had decided to award the students #1m naira bursary each, would they have rejected it because he did not consult them beforehand.

UNILAG IS A BRAND NAME

Of course it is, but you have to be alive and safe before you can enjoy any brand. If the military had not been forced out in 1999, this country would have been engulfed in a civil war of proportions so horrific it would have made what happened in Sierra Leone and Liberia look like a Sunday school outing. If a democratic way had not worked in removing IBB/Abacha and Abiola’s refusal to surrender his mandate was the catalyst of the six year struggle and the undying flame that kept it alive, if democracy had not succeeded in removing the military, inevitably at some stage, some people, out of sheer frustration would have taken to the bush, similar to Charles Taylor and the RUF and hell would have descended on this country.

Let the idiots now demonstrating ask the students of Monrovia university and Fourah bay college Freetown what happened when the war came to their cities. This was no Nigerian/Biafran war with professional soldiers on both sides. This was an army of agberos, garage boys, escaped convicts, armed robbers, murderers and ritual killers. Thousands of University girls were dragged out of their halls of residence and forcefully ravished by queues of ‘fighters’ in broad daylight, for days on end before being assaulted with their bayonets. Hundreds were killed thousands more ran mad. Do you want to know the proportion of people in Sierra Leone classified as amputees – almost 30%. They had their hands legs or feet cut off with axes. That is what the removal of Dictatorship prevented in Nigeria

THERE HAVE BEEN NO ADVANTAGES FROM DEMOCRACY

How many of those Unilag students demonstrating on 3rd mainland bridge have been shot dead by soldiers? how many of their leaders have been detained and tortured by the intelligence services, have the police invaded their schools and molested their women. Because that was what used to happen under the dictators people like abiola died to remove.

They mobilised themselves using their mobile phones, they condemn the move on Nairaland. Who had mobile phones under the military, did anybody have access to the internet under the dictators. Dictators want to control the means of communication which is why it took democracy to flood the country with mobiles.

They say foreign schools would not recognise MAULag – but you need visas to go abroad. How many visas were issued under military rule. The same spoilt kids would say people like fashola are doing well, did we have any fashola and Donald duke under military rule – is it not the same democracy Abiola fought for that brought about some Governors (few but you start somewhere) who have introduced beneficial reforms. True a lot needs to be done, but we have at least made a start. How many bursaries or scholarships were issued under the army, how many mass transit projects did the army introduce, how many free education at primary and secondary level did the soldiers implement. We take a lot for granted. Of course GEJ is useless, but at least now we can say it openly. How many dared say that under Babangida or Abacha.

If Nairaland existed under the military it would have been banned and Seun the owner would by now be dead. Many now posting here would have been in prison and probably run mad after endless torture

THE NAME CHANGE IS NOT SUPPORTED BY MOST NIGERIANS

Says who ? Go into any bus, any tailor’s shop, any beer parlour, any factory, any shop, any place where ordinary Nigerians congregate and you will struggle to find anybody who sympathises with the students on this matter. Because most of them while familiar with MKO’s flaws still respect him immensely for his sacrifice on June 12. He could have surrendered his mandate and enjoyed a life of ease but he chose to go to risk going to his grave rather than surrender it.

This guy was locked up for six years in the same compound as a psychopathic monster , who amused himself by feeding people to lions and wild animals in that same compound, Abiola’s wife was murdered, his children threatened with it on a daily basis and he still refused to give in and these childish twits whose greatest single challenge in their live's has probably been mustering the courage to toast their classmates challenge his right to have a school named after him? After all he did.

The fact that a noisy minority have kicked up a fuss about this does not in anyway negate the fact that an overwhelming silent majority support the move to immortalise the symbol of the most momentous struggle in Nigeria’s history. Wole Soyinka we all love, but he has never contested and won any election in this country – so what makes anybody feel he speaks for the majority. If he is that popular let him leave his ‘life long ‘critic’ comfort zone and form a political party the way people like Mandela and Nkrumah did. Let him enter the ring not just comment endlessly from the sidelines where he can only be right and never be wrong seeing that he is unwilling to put his principles to the test. Or perhaps he is afraid he might actually win the election and then be judged on what he does not what he says.

ABIOLA WAS CORRUPT SO DOES NOT DESERVE TO BE HONORED

Agreed he was corrupt George Washington was also a slave owner. Winston Churchill was an avowed racist, as for the civil rights activist Rev Martin Luther King, he was a dyed in the wool hypocrite – he cheated on his wife so many times she became suicidal – that has not stopped their people loving them

it is only in Nollywood films that people are either totally good or absolutely bad. In real life there is always something in between. Most people have a mixture of both. People can only be judged by which of the two currents dominates in their character. Awolowo also made money from Government, but he also used public money to educate millions who would never have been educated if not for his policies. Akintola made money from Government but did nothing else for the people. So people liked awo but hated Akintola. That is the way the real world works. I don’t want my father to chase other women. But a man who chases other women and spends all his money on them cannot be compared to a man who chases women but still educates his children. Not perfect, but neither totally bad..
Re: Wole Soyinka Opposes UNILAG/MAU Renaming by Kobojunkie: 6:20pm On May 31, 2012
odumorun 1:
ABIOLA WAS CORRUPT SO DOES NOT DESERVE TO BE HONORED

Agreed he was corrupt George Washington was also a slave owner. Winston Churchill was an avowed racist, as for the civil rights activist Rev Martin Luther King, he was a dyed in the wool hypocrite – he cheated on his wife so many times she became suicidal – that has not stopped their people loving them

it is only in Nollywood films that people are either totally good or absolutely bad. In real life there is always something in between. Most people have a mixture of both. People can only be judged by which of the two currents dominates in their character. Awolowo also made money from Government, but he also used public money to educate millions who would never have been educated if not for his policies. Akintola made money from Government but did nothing else for the people. So people liked awo but hated Akintola. That is the way the real world works. I don’t want my father to chase other women. But a man who chases other women and spends all his money on them cannot be compared to a man who chases women but still educates his children. Not perfect, but neither totally bad..

Sorry, this does not work.

When George Washington owned Slaves, it was LEGAL to own slaves in America. . . Abiola stole when it was ILLEGAL to steal from Nigerians. [/b]That our government refused to prosecute him even after the reveal does not mean his sins were in some way absolved.

Attempts to throw other folks under the bus just so you can manage to keep your image of Abiola with head above water, some, already reveals how weak you know you are in this. If you truly believe what you have typed above makes sense, then you should be campaigning for Nigerians to ignore the looting going on even today with all the current looters in office.

[b]We still have the Abachas, IBBs, the Obasanjos, the Atikus, the Goodluck Jonathans, the Iboris --- oh wait, Ibori was finally dragged to jail for his sins against Nigeria -- but I am sure you get the point. Stealing is never OK, even if the thief dies with his loot.

People are never totally good or totally bad, and they are not required to be. They are however to abide by the law or submit to the consequences of breaking the law. No one is above those laws, and the law, and its consequences do not only apply when you are caught. It applies 24/7, 365 days of the year. The consequences for what he did existed back then and still do. The man never did submit, and he never paid back what he took. So I am not sure where you are going with this, probably nowhere fast. grin
Re: Wole Soyinka Opposes UNILAG/MAU Renaming by gudnex22(m): 6:20pm On May 31, 2012
Is soyinka a footballer or a musician? That name sound strange to me.
Re: Wole Soyinka Opposes UNILAG/MAU Renaming by porka: 6:34pm On May 31, 2012
eGuerrilla:

[url=http://saharareporters.com/article/goodluck-jonathan%E2%80%99s-gift-horse-wole-soyinka/]Source[/url]

Did I read institutional autonomy? Are these institutions self funding?
Re: Wole Soyinka Opposes UNILAG/MAU Renaming by porka: 7:09pm On May 31, 2012
Katsumoto: My take

1. GEJ has the right to change the name but he should have consulted the relevant bodies i.e Alumni, university board, etc before changing the name.
2. Students and Alumni may be concerned about the brand of their school; they have every right to be.
3. Apart from dying for the the cause of democracy, MKO still remains the greatest philanthropist in Nigeria
4. It may be true that MKO was far from being a saint but what matters is that he gave his life for the cause even when he could have renounced his mandate
5. The University of Chicago Business School (a top 20 Global Business School) was renamed the Booth school of Business after Booth who donated $300 Million to the school. Ignoring the money factor, if students who paid in excess of $80,000 to get an MBA did not run riot all over Chicago, why are students who are paying less than $2000 rioting? More worrisome is that these same students are yet to protest over issues that will affect them directly.
6. The rebranding of the school could have been handled much better if all sides were involved in the process. I don't see any issue with renaming the school let alone after a man who paid the ultimate price.

MAULag students have demonstrated a rather myopic outlook which many of them will regret later. I say this because their actions has demonstrated that it is an effort in futility for anyone to give up his life for that country. After this episode, many will justify their lukewarm attitude or even outright hostility towards progress by referring to this action of these students.

Thank you sir. Permit me to add that in the next 10 to 15 years, the name (MAU, MA U, Abiola U, etc) would have been funkified, if it stays. Eko for show, they momentarily allowed anger to rub them of swagger.
Re: Wole Soyinka Opposes UNILAG/MAU Renaming by coogar: 7:17pm On May 31, 2012
odumorun 1:
UNILAG IS A BRAND NAME

this always makes me laugh....unilag is a brand name.
mko abiola is a bigger brand than unilag. what yeye brand
name is unilag? it's not even the best uni in the south west
let alone nigeria. unilag students should pipe low and accept their
fate or be destroyed by it.

denzel2009:

the government would fund the cost implication.
sending of students transcripts to other higher
institutions around the world is no issue. mko abiola
university is still @ akoka, they didn't move base to badagry.

(1) (2) (3) ... (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) (Reply)

FG Blames Police, Army, Customs For High Cost Of Food.. / Ademilola Lola Odujinrin Visits Osinbajo In Abuja (Pics) / IPOB Sit-At-Home: Members In Equatorial Guinea Lock Their Shops (Pics)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 176
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.