Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,601 members, 7,823,614 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 12:24 PM

Wole Soyinka Opposes UNILAG/MAU Renaming - Politics (13) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Wole Soyinka Opposes UNILAG/MAU Renaming (27942 Views)

Bishop Oyedepo Said He Will Open The Gates Of Hell On Whoever Opposes GEJ. / Senate Approves UNILAG Renaming / Sagay, Others Differ Over Renaming Of UNILAG In Honour Of Abiola (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Wole Soyinka Opposes UNILAG/MAU Renaming by Eziachi: 7:22pm On May 31, 2012
porka:

Did I read institutional autonomy? Are these institutions self funding?

What is wrong with some of you young people? Autonomy/independence of a public body is not determined by its funding.
The BBC is autonomous/independent but its funded hundred percent by public money.
If not because of Nigeria crooked democracy, public bodies like FRCN, NTA and universities despite funded by the taxpayers should be free of any sort of govt interference and that includes arbitrary changing their lawful established names and businesses.
Re: Wole Soyinka Opposes UNILAG/MAU Renaming by Esinwaju: 8:24pm On May 31, 2012
gudnex22: Is soyinka a footballer or a musician? That name sound strange to me.
It sounds strange to you because you dwell in a cave.
Re: Wole Soyinka Opposes UNILAG/MAU Renaming by Bastiger(m): 8:29pm On May 31, 2012
Much ado about nothing
Re: Wole Soyinka Opposes UNILAG/MAU Renaming by Obijulius: 10:16pm On May 31, 2012
hitmanogo: Where was Soyinka when fashola sacked 788 doctors inlagos? Something more pathetic. Abeg let Soyinka keep quiet.... It is evident he is biased against Jonathan...he should remove the speck in his eyes before he can see the log in Jonathan's eye.....

Gbam!!! D guy don colo, finally!
Re: Wole Soyinka Opposes UNILAG/MAU Renaming by dirk: 10:18pm On May 31, 2012
[/color][color=][/color][color=#006600][color=#000099][/color]
coogar:

why not? my house, my property....
i decide solely whatever goes on there. if any
tenant disagrees, he can pack out n leave space for
sensible tenants.

unilag is a property of the federal government.
the students, academic staff, etc are just tenants/labourers.
they are no stake-holders...they can be hired n fired by who??....the same federal government.

You speak like an object of power sadism...Well let me educate you. There is a limit to what you can do on your property without the imprimatur of ur tenants.
Re: Wole Soyinka Opposes UNILAG/MAU Renaming by odumorun1: 10:25pm On May 31, 2012
Sorry, this does not work.

When George Washington owned Slaves, it was LEGAL to own slaves in America

Oh, really, in the same vein when Adolf Hitler gassed 6 million jews in his cincentration camps - it was legal to kill jews in Germany. So he did no wrong then.

to such warped conclusions does your logic lead. Please don't ever go to America and tell the African americans what you just said on this board, you might not like their reaction
Re: Wole Soyinka Opposes UNILAG/MAU Renaming by Kobojunkie: 10:26pm On May 31, 2012
Katsumoto:
5. The University of Chicago Business School (a top 20 Global Business School) was renamed the Booth school of Business after Booth who donated $300 Million to the school. Ignoring the money factor, if students who paid in excess of $80,000 to get an MBA did not run riot all over Chicago, why are students who are paying less than $2000 rioting? More worrisome is that these same students are yet to protest over issues that will affect them directly.

I can answer this one for you

a) Booth, not only donated $300 million to the school but was also an alumnus of the business school.

b) The University of Chicago was however not renamed

c) Booths name was tacked on to the name of the school . . It is called "The University of Chicago Booth School of Business", not "Booth Business School".

d) Booth does not have a questionable past for the students to fear that adding his name might de-value their school.
Re: Wole Soyinka Opposes UNILAG/MAU Renaming by Kobojunkie: 10:30pm On May 31, 2012
odumorun 1: Sorry, this does not work.

When George Washington owned Slaves, it was LEGAL to own slaves in America

Oh, really, in the same vein when Adolf Hitler gassed 6 million jews in his cincentration camps - it was legal to kill jews in Germany. So he did no wrong then.

to such warped conclusions does your logic lead. Please don't ever go to America and tell the African americans what you just said on this board, you might not like their reaction

Again, When George Washington owned slaves, it was LEGAL to own slaves in America. If you are having a hard time wrapping your mind around that, please consult the law of the time. I know to such ignorant minds such as yourself facts like these essentially fly over you. Gassing and incinerating of humans was never legal in Germany, so please stay away from the bubble-brained comparisons.

Slavery was outlawed in the 1800s. A simply try to google would help educate you.

Slavery in the United States was a form of slave labor which existed as a legal institution from the early colonial period. After the American Revolution (1775-1783), the northern states all abolished slavery, and Congress prohibited slavery in the Northwest Territory. However slavery gained new life with the cotton industry after 1800, and expanded into the Southwest. A system of slave and free states developed. However, the international import or export of slaves became illegal under U.S. law in 1807. By the 1850s the South was vigorously defending slavery and its expansion into the territories. In the North a small number of abolitionists denounced it as sinful, and a large number of anti-slavery forces rejected it as detrimental to the rights of free men. Compromises were attempted and failed, and in 1861 eleven slave states broke away to form the Confederate States of America. To defeat the Confederacy, the Union in 1862 made abolition of all slavery a war goal, which was achieved in 1865. All the slaves were freed and the owners received no compensation.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Slavery_in_the_United_States

Contrary to what you know of history, Slavery was never always Illegal. Even your own forefathers had slaves. Having slaves was considered a worth of a man back in the old days. Again, a trip to google would educate you.

The African slave trade refers to the historic slave trade within Africa. Systems of servitude and slavery were common in many parts of the continent, as they were in much of the ancient world. In some African societies, the enslaved people were also indentured servants and fully integrated; in others, they were treated much worse. When the Arab slave trade and Atlantic slave trade began, many local slave systems changed and began supplying captives for slave markets outside of Africa.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/African_slave_trade

If you are going to inject a new topic to further confuse your own argument(whatever the hell it is you are heading for) at least do some homework so you do not appear more ignorant with each new post.
Re: Wole Soyinka Opposes UNILAG/MAU Renaming by nsiadi: 11:03pm On May 31, 2012
Many people will be taunting that the sage is against this move
Which sage? Ibru was attacked for chaopioning Abiolas cause. What significant thing did Soyinka do?
Ranting isnt enough. Taking sides isnt enough. Let him dare & Boko will deal with him
Any way, like Unife that was renamed in spite of his protest Unilag will be renamed.
We are tired of being misled. Soyinka should dust his party & prepare for 2015.
Ditto for all those foul mouthed giants with clay feet. Voters are waiting
Re: Wole Soyinka Opposes UNILAG/MAU Renaming by Kobojunkie: 11:06pm On May 31, 2012
nsiadi: Many people will be taunting that the sage is against this move
Which sage? Ibru was attacked for chaopioning Abiolas cause. What significant thing did Soyinka do?
Ranting isnt enough. Taking sides isnt enough. Let him dare & Boko will deal with him
Any way, like Unife that was renamed in spite of his protest Unilag will be renamed.
We are tired of being misled. Soyinka should dust his party & prepare for 2015.
Ditto for all those foul mouthed giants with clay feet. Voters are waiting

um . . . aren't you confusing issues here. Soyinka is not a politician and have never told you he is one or intends to run for office. He is simply a Nigeria with a right to speak out in favour or in opposition of issues as he sees fit. lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed
Re: Wole Soyinka Opposes UNILAG/MAU Renaming by dont8(m): 11:36pm On May 31, 2012
ayobase:

He shouldnt have used that as an illustration in the first place.
He should have used a company, where workers are being paid.
I wonder what would have come over the workers protesting against the change of name of the company.

UNILAG students are only protesting to retain the SWAGZ associated with the name UNILAG.
MAULAG has no SWAGZ attached for now, but it will with time.
Were the Staff complaining and protesting...their salaries remain intact.
This ''jump and down'' is an ephemeral event.
Don't forget we're in a democratic system of government and not military regime where decree is order of the day. Having said that, government (Federal Govt)owns the institution, fine but backed by an act (Legislature) at whose expense, the parents ofcourse (Tax-payers). I don't need to say more, you know were am heading.
Re: Wole Soyinka Opposes UNILAG/MAU Renaming by dont8(m): 11:37pm On May 31, 2012
Re: Wole Soyinka Opposes UNILAG/MAU Renaming by emiye(m): 12:10am On Jun 01, 2012
Wanting to Preserve the UNILAG name cant be explained to many Non-Akokites....Its like explaining flying first class to someone flying Economy cool cool cool

1 Like

Re: Wole Soyinka Opposes UNILAG/MAU Renaming by Jongrac: 12:19am On Jun 01, 2012
Let GEJ do the unthinkable if he so wishes, two things are so certain; He won't win 2nd term and PDP can never takeover Lagos.
His arse l icking advisers owe him national duty 2 tell him these cos he is clearly living in ASO fantasy ROCK.
Re: Wole Soyinka Opposes UNILAG/MAU Renaming by coogar: 12:22am On Jun 01, 2012
dirk: [/color][color=][/color][color=#006600][color=#000099][/color]

You speak like an object of power sadism...Well let me educate you. There is a limit to what you can do on your property without the imprimatur of ur tenants.

you're a tool!
there's no limit to what i can do to my property?
the federal government owns unilag. they can decide to
name it ansar-udeen university. how much of your father's
naira was used to build unilag or run it's maintenance
cost?
Re: Wole Soyinka Opposes UNILAG/MAU Renaming by Shikena(m): 3:52am On Jun 01, 2012
Even those who don't know where Lagos Polytechnic is located talk less of UNILAG are now talking authoritatively about the quality and status of UNILAG. Naija people and bad belle for what they can't touch grin grin grin grin grin.

Methinks this is not about the tushness of MAULAG as a name but about the legacy of UNILAG as a brand - a 50 yr brand for that matter. We should learn to cherish our institutions and stop being self-centered. UNILAG students are not called UNILAGITES or LAGITES, they are called AKOKITES, derived from the local host community of Akoka-Yaba. They proudly bear that 'local' name.

We should learn to respect other people's sentimental attachments - what is your beef if you don't have to bear MAUL on your certificate or resume? Why are you so agitated about other people's reaction to something that affects them personally? If you can't support them then leave them to their struggles for what they believe in, as long it doesn't affect your life.

3 Likes

Re: Wole Soyinka Opposes UNILAG/MAU Renaming by gohome: 5:44am On Jun 01, 2012
emiye: Wanting to Preserve the UNILAG name cant be explained to many Non-Akokites....Its like explaining flying first class to someone flying Economy cool cool cool

Stop your ugly opinion about other people based on your delusional sense of superiority
Re: Wole Soyinka Opposes UNILAG/MAU Renaming by nsiadi: 7:40am On Jun 01, 2012
@ Kobojunkie

um . . . aren't you confusing issues here. Soyinka is not a politician and have never told you he is one or intends to run for office. He is simply a Nigeria with a right to speak out in favour or in opposition of issues as he sees fit.

Soyinka formed DEMOCRATIC FRONT FOR PEOPLE FEDERATION
He didnt garner supporters to win even any councellorship seat
If you are still in doubt please Google is there to re-assure that
Re: Wole Soyinka Opposes UNILAG/MAU Renaming by odumorun1: 10:01am On Jun 01, 2012
Again, When George Washington owned slaves, it was LEGAL to own slaves in America. If you are having a hard time wrapping your mind around that, please consult the law of the time. I know to such ignorant minds such as yourself facts like these essentially fly over you. Gassing and incinerating of humans was never legal in Germany, so please stay away from the bubble-brained comparisons.

Slavery was outlawed in the 1800s. A simply try to google would help educate you.

Your logic is warped if 'legality' the enshrined will of power (unnacountable or not, democratic or not) is the sole determinant of what is right or what is wrong, then we will havwe to re-write human history in its entirety.

It would mean that it was RIGHT to jail Nelson Mandela for 27 years, since at the time - IT WAS LEGAL TO JAIL 'TERRORISTS'.

It would mean that there was nothing wrong with Apartheid since at the time it segregation was LEGAL in South Africa

It would mean that the June 12 Annulment was right because at the time based on the right to make law by the internationally recognised government in Nigeria _ that of Ibrahim Babangida

It would mean that Rosa Parks was wrong not to give up her seat for a white man since at the time it WAS LEGAL for black people to give up their seats to white ones in the American south.

Now where do I stop.

I don't need to consult unatributable google sources before I know what I'mm talking about - Like most people I had an education independent of lazy surfing of the internet quoting and misquoting unreferenced paragraphs.

It is a sad commentary on our colonial education system when you see an African adult justifying one of the worst atrocities ever against his race and indeed agaisnt humanity - the Trans Atlantic slave trade - the effects of which we are still suffering today (you being a perfect example) by saying it was LEGAL at the time. Of course it was legal - because the slave masters made it so !!!

Like an obedient house nigger you quote the main justification of the apologists of the slave trade that forcefully removed over 100 million Africans from their land to racial bondage abroad by saying we also had slavery in Africa. Are there any levels low enough for you to plumb

Yes we did have slavery in Africa but it was of a totally different nature than the horrific western version. The slaves in Africa could rise socially, some of the most important minsterial positions in the Old Oyo empire fror example were reserved for slaves - inlcuding most of the high palace officlas - the head of the army - the Kakanfo, was usually a person born into slavery. Slaves in Africa could own property and many of the more enterprising ones became very rich. The essence of slavery in the west was that slaves could not own property since the slaves themselves were PROPERTY. Slaves in many African societies were regarded as part of the family and were regularly alowed to marry into it. The slaves had rights which is were the yoruba saying of o le bu iya eru (you cannot abuse a slaves mother) came from

There were no such rights for Africans held in bondage in the west. They were treated worst than dogs. Thousands were thrown overboard on the ships, virtually all the women were gang raped on the ships and on the field, there was no hope of social mobility and the slaves had NO RIGHTS. It was hell on earth. A few slaves were brought into the house and tossed a few crumbs - they were called house niggers - those 'promoted' slaves who took great pride in cleaning the masters toilet and backside rather than cutting his fields. You want to know what they looked like - you don't need to go far - take a look in the nearest mirror.
Re: Wole Soyinka Opposes UNILAG/MAU Renaming by Kobojunkie: 10:35am On Jun 01, 2012
nsiadi: @ Kobojunkie]
Soyinka formed DEMOCRATIC FRONT FOR PEOPLE FEDERATION
He didnt garner supporters to win even any councellorship seat
If you are still in doubt please Google is there to re-assure that

I know he did but that doesn't change anything. He is a civilian . . . he is not an elected leader in any capacity. He has never run for office or informed you that he intended at any point to do such.
Again. . . .
Kobojunkie:

um . . . aren't you confusing issues here. Soyinka is not a politician and have never told you he is one or intends to run for office. He is simply a Nigeria with a right to speak out in favour or in opposition of issues as he sees fit. lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed

I think you are simply thinking him one of your politicians. I also do not agree with him on every issue. Check my archives if you doubt that but I don't think then that we should treat him as if he were one of the politicians who has helped to destroy this country to this point.
Re: Wole Soyinka Opposes UNILAG/MAU Renaming by Kobojunkie: 10:38am On Jun 01, 2012
odumorun 1: Again, When George Washington owned slaves, it was LEGAL to own slaves in America. If you are having a hard time wrapping your mind around that, please consult the law of the time. I know to such ignorant minds such as yourself facts like these essentially fly over you. Gassing and incinerating of humans was never legal in Germany, so please stay away from the bubble-brained comparisons.

Your logic is warped if 'legality' the enshrined will of power (unnacountable or not, democratic or not) is the sole determinant of what is right or what is wrong, then we will havwe to re-write human history in its entirety.

It would mean that it was RIGHT to jail Nelson Mandela for 27 years, since at the time - IT WAS LEGAL TO JAIL 'TERRORISTS'.

It would mean that there was nothing wrong with Apartheid since at the time it segregation was LEGAL in South Africa

It would mean that the June 12 Annulment was right because at the time based on the right to make law by the internationally recognised government in Nigeria _ that of Ibrahim Babangida

It would mean that Rosa Parks was wrong not to give up her seat for a white man since at the time it WAS LEGAL for black people to give up their seats to white ones in the American south.

If you need to go back to school, please do so, cause you sound so much like one of the goofballs who think all laws and rules we live by today fell automagically from the sky.

Yes, slavery was once legal on this planet. In fact Africans, who you probably think where the only victims of the slave trade openly traded slaves for much of their history. If you cannot deal with then then, again, I suggest you stay away from issues you are unable/unwilling to wrap your mind around.

Stop coming up with some more lame-brained analogies please. You are making me feel more and more that you are probably not full-developed up in the head.
Re: Wole Soyinka Opposes UNILAG/MAU Renaming by Beaf: 11:24am On Jun 01, 2012
Maulagians, accept your good fate. The deal has been done, killed; its dead, cooked, fried, boxed, buried... Forgotten. cool
Re: Wole Soyinka Opposes UNILAG/MAU Renaming by Nobody: 1:01pm On Jun 01, 2012
coogar:

you're a tool!
there's no limit to what i can do to my property?
the federal government owns unilag. they can decide to
name it ansar-udeen university. how much of your father's
naira was used to build unilag or run it's maintenance
cost?
And,why do the federal government collect taxes?! Please!
Re: Wole Soyinka Opposes UNILAG/MAU Renaming by walexbiz(m): 1:02pm On Jun 01, 2012
coogar:

nah - some people need to be made scapegoats.
they closed down the whole city today....blocked the whole 3rd
mainland bridge.....because their uni was renamed...i mean
who cares? people would still refer to it as unilag until
our generation f@cks off the planet.

where in the tenancy agreement does it say i cannot make changes in
the structure of the building? the owner is the owner. he has the
right to do whatever on his property as long as he does not bring
any harm to his tenants. renaming brings no harm. he named it
mko abiola(who must have donated billions of naira to the same institution).

they can close it down and turn it into a zoological garden.
thank feck, the lagoon is behind the school. it would be a perfect tourist attraction.
there's still unibadan, uni of ife, uniben, uniport, ado bayero and the federal govt owns them all.
they wouldn't lose any sleep over unilag which is a glorifiekd whorehouse anyways.

I am su the school u attended is not better than unilag, if it is tell us the name of ur school

and he named it after their hero. how many lagosians laid their lives down for abiola
in 93/94? even when he died in 98? they must be hundreds of thousands! so jonathan
decided to honour the man that fought for democracy in nigeria a university and the students
are protesting like ingrates. he didn't name it babangida uni, abacha uni, chukwumerije uni or
nzeribe uni? i dunno where this aggression is coming from - probably grudges nursed against
jonathan since the subsidy removal.

which yeye due process?
Re: Wole Soyinka Opposes UNILAG/MAU Renaming by coogar: 1:11pm On Jun 01, 2012
all4naija: And,why do the federal government collect taxes?! Please!

your tax is a token paid for the services the government provides for you.
good roads, street lights, police, health services, fire services, etc.
that you pay rent does not make you a landlord - you're still a tenant.
Re: Wole Soyinka Opposes UNILAG/MAU Renaming by Nobody: 1:26pm On Jun 01, 2012
coogar:

[size=18pt]your tax is a token paid for the services the government provides for you.[/size]

overall, my school has produced 25 nobel-prize laureates....
take a wild guess, you plank!!

And what are those services? cheesy
Re: Wole Soyinka Opposes UNILAG/MAU Renaming by coogar: 1:30pm On Jun 01, 2012
coogar:

Re: Wole Soyinka Opposes UNILAG/MAU Renaming by Nobody: 1:31pm On Jun 01, 2012
Are you serious?

Ileke-IdI:

And what are those services? cheesy
coogar:

[size=18pt]good roads, street lights, police, health services, fire services, etc.[/size]
Re: Wole Soyinka Opposes UNILAG/MAU Renaming by coogar: 1:35pm On Jun 01, 2012
Ileke-IdI:
Are you serious?

it must be ages since you went to lagos.
Re: Wole Soyinka Opposes UNILAG/MAU Renaming by Nobody: 1:43pm On Jun 01, 2012
coogar:

Your analogy is faulted, on looking at the landlord examples.Tax money is never a token anywhere. There is no nation that survives solely on foreign generated income. You speak as if the government is not the people. The resources belong to you and I, we are the government while the president is just a figure head to lead/represent - which is used to fund many thing rather stolen. Now,on a side note - how much of the stolen money have be retrieved from foreign accounts?

However, the services the people have paid for through their 'token'(as you made it to look)haven't be seen taken care of yet the 'landlord' is adding more troubles to disrepair property(the nation). Indeed, looking at it from another angle,the property is a family property(for every Nigerian).

Even at the expense of the tenant rights there is what is called contract based on agreement between the landlord and the tenants. That's the university has some rules which must be followed as due process agreed upon by both parties so that it can function effectively. A dictator wouldn't do much worse than this. He has done something that needs to be but done wrongly. It strip away the importance of the university integrity to speak for itself in regarding things which they rules of the school say they possess.
Re: Wole Soyinka Opposes UNILAG/MAU Renaming by coogar: 1:56pm On Jun 01, 2012
all4naija: Your analogy is faulted, on looking at the landlord examples.Tax money is never a token anywhere. There is no nation that survives solely on foreign generated income. You speak as if the government is not the people. The resources belong to you and I, we are the government while the president is just a figure head to lead/represent - which is used to fund many thing rather stolen. Now,on a side note - how much of the stolen money have be retrieved from foreign accounts?

your tax is a fraction of your income. it's a token...10%, 20%, 30%
they are still a token as they are not even up to 50% of the income you make.

However, the services the people have paid for through their 'token'(as you made it to look)haven't be seen taken care of yet the 'landlord' is adding more troubles to disrepair property(the nation). Indeed, looking at it from another angle,the property is a family property(for every Nigerian).

as far as nigeria is concerned, it can never be taken care of. it's the
government that is paying taxes to the people, not the other way round.
just recently, biometrics was introduced in the nigerian police force and guess what?
it's been saving N1 billion per month in wages - before biometrics, ghost workers were eating that amount.
now project that fraud into other government parastatals, and it's easy to see why nothing
works in nigeria. the government officials are no saints but the people are far worse.

Even at the expense of the tenant rights there is what is called contract based on agreement between the landlord and the tenants. That's the university has some rules which must be followed as due process agreed upon by both parties so that it can function effectively. A dictator wouldn't do much worse than this. He has done something that needs to be but done wrongly. It strip away the importance of the university integrity to speak for itself in regarding things which they rules of the school say they possess.

of course, there's a tenancy agreement....
i have never seen any tenancy agreement that stipulates the landlord must consult his
tenant before painting, renaming, gating his house. this isn't about dictatorship or
whatever you want to call it. that university is heavily funded by the government....
they pay the staff wages, they subsidize the fees the students pay, etc.....
so why should you expect the government to consult the university body for a name change?
Re: Wole Soyinka Opposes UNILAG/MAU Renaming by Shikena(m): 1:57pm On Jun 01, 2012
If GEJ refuses to back down on leaving UNILAG alone, our next president from 2015 will do the right thing. Declare June 12 as Democracy Day and if you need a University in Abiola's name to underline your 'eye service' then upgrade Moshood Abiola Polytechnic to a University.

Anyway, what is my own. I heard that UNILAG students are already sending signals to BOKO HARAM to remind Jona who the boss is. And those supporting GEJ to spite others, don't count on them to join you in castigating him when Jona increases fuel price again and you have to battle to sustain your miserable life grin grin grin .

(1) (2) (3) ... (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) (Reply)

Bola Tinubu:"Unseating Jonathan,An Incumbent President,My Most Difficult Battle" / FG Blames Police, Army, Customs For High Cost Of Food.. / Ademilola Lola Odujinrin Visits Osinbajo In Abuja (Pics)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 115
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.