Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,486 members, 7,836,906 topics. Date: Wednesday, 22 May 2024 at 02:22 PM

Are We Any Better Than The Leaders We Condemn ? - Politics (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Are We Any Better Than The Leaders We Condemn ? (10276 Views)

APC: Saraki, Dogara Are Pro-pdp Leaders - We Can't Sit With Them / South-East Leaders: We Accept SGF / The Good Leaders We Wish For Should Be People Like This (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Are We Any Better Than The Leaders We Condemn ? by warrior101: 8:45am On Jun 04, 2012
On the bright side i wouldnt agree to the topic because i would be taking matter personal if i did... Some people dont believe that people can change but i do and a leader should be a changed (into a law abiding citizen) person in the case where everybody is corupt like 9ja...

My point is that the corruption is from the top.. "strike the shepperd and the sheep will scatter". Trouble can often be traced to a single individual - the stirrer, the arrogant underling, the poisoner of goodwill. If you allow such people room to operate, others will succumb to their influence. Do not wait for the troubles they cause to multiply, do not try to negotiate with then - they are often irredeemable. Neutralize their influence by isolating or banishing them.
Re: Are We Any Better Than The Leaders We Condemn ? by iyaibeji1: 8:48am On Jun 04, 2012
Tayerulz: I'm always mad at topics lyk dis, wot do u mean by we r also corrupt. Our leaders are directly responsible for d corruption in dis country by 99.9% take it or leave it. Our founding fathers did not train our mind. Are you tellin me dat americans are not also corrupt? Ofcourse they are but the govt is reducin its effect in all ways by makin lives of its citizens worth livin. All gud jobs are for their children & grandchildren , money for infrastructures are being forwarded to their childrns acct oversea etc. Our leaders must all be killed before nigeria can progress, go & learn from ghana. They made us corrupt by making life so difficult for us & as human being we wuld want to live or @ op why dnt u stay & die in ur village? Ones we hv a gud leader, corruption reduces coz it begins @ the top. Bleep Nigeria ☹
but have you been trained on knowing right from wrong? If we kill them, and bring people that are still corrupt we will still be in square one. we have witnessed leaders die or disgraced out of office the world over have we learnt from them? we can only have ggod leaders when people insist on doing the right thing in their little corners no matter who is involved.
Re: Are We Any Better Than The Leaders We Condemn ? by Nobody: 8:50am On Jun 04, 2012
iya ibeji: You are very correct. I was saying same thing to my colleagues last week. Every corner of Nigeria, we find Nigerians that will not do their assigned duties unless there is a cut for them. Can you imagine what will happen if same Nigerians are elected into places of Leadership? Also when we have good leaders how do they function with corrupt followers? If a government is focused on giving the best to the coutry and the ministers, commissioners are not having the same objective with him how will he succeed? I believe if we truly want a change we have a duty to change each and every of ourselves. Start with yourself and the change will get to the country. In a local govt, a local govt chairman was shot because the citizens believed that he should bring the funds and share to them instead of the developments he was doing with the funds.Can such a country ever progress? Change yourself first then hold leaders responsible afterall they are not magicians that will wave wands to change all the rots in the society. they still have to work with people - you and I. How are you performing your duty now? and how will you perform when you come to power? Change yourself NOW! LOL.

Thank You.

Many ( Not all ) who are critical of this article also have their hands stained in the mire of corruption !!
Re: Are We Any Better Than The Leaders We Condemn ? by Nobody: 8:54am On Jun 04, 2012
@op you are correct. I have had this discussion several times with friends but they will never see anything wrong with the rest of Nigerians but her leaders.
Imagine things as small as a bike doing one way and you the bike "occupant" will comfortable ask him to. Was it GEJ and his team that asked you and the bike man to be "breaking" traffic rules.

For the police men extorting money from motorist, did they receive a memo from GEJ to extort money from their fellow Nigerians.

For the "omata" guy thatz supplying sub-standard goods, I guess he got directives from the Aso villa to supply such.

For the parents who are aware that their wards are into "yahoo-yahoo" or armed robbery and refused to alert the authorities, I guess they had private meeting with our leaders and they were instructed not to let the authority know of their children's nefarious acts.

So did the authority also held a meeting with the wolves in sheep clothing and they were given the sole "right" to scam gullible Nigerians in the name of religion.

Until the day we all stand up and do what is right at our level our leaders will never cease to be a reflection of what the society as become. You want a change in our dear country, you start with yourself.

1 Like

Re: Are We Any Better Than The Leaders We Condemn ? by legedzBENZ(m): 8:56am On Jun 04, 2012
MrsDarkSkin abi wetin u call yasef!! Obama worse than AIDS? Ya people sen u go yankee go emancipate, but e be like say na agberos u dey hang out wit o!
Obama dey park d shyt* wen Dubya Bush live, and u dey diss am?
Switch on ya brain abeg, biko my sis...
Somebody get to pay to pack d shyt* wey dey for revren fada altar nah - oyinbo call dat person TAXPAYERS, abi??

freecocoa: To be sincere to you,I wasn't thinking of the pattern here i.e top to bottom or bottom to top,i was just affirming the fact that Nigerians are corrupt.

freecocoa - good to hear a few people talk sense grin grin grin
just by reading the comments, its easy to identify the yaho yaho boys (n ther girlfriends lol) and the agberos n ocho pasenjas, even d totally jobless sef!

Amacaco: Many of us who prefer criticizing the leadership are no better. grin The problem with this country is nothing but hypocrisy. People who as leaders of student unions, clubs, associations, cooperative societies,town and market unions, and even companies have squandered or are still squandering their association resources are the people who make the most noise about corruption in this country. What will you say of Elders in our villages who pervert justice and deny the poor justice at local meetings simply because they have collected money from people. cry

The Directors and Permanent Secretaries at the various Ministries and Agencies at Federal and State Levels ensure that Budgets are not duly implemented so that the money allocated to their Ministries can be shared at the end of the year.

The police, Efcc,Prosecution, Defence lawyers, and Judges and all those who serve in the temple of justice and whose responsibility it is to ensure that culprits are brought to justice are no better as diligent investigations and prosecution is thrown overboard simply because money has exchanged hands.

Yet it is this class of People who talk, write and criticize others when issues of corruption are raised and we applaud them as saints.Who is fooling who.One thing is certain- the day for accounting is coming.
on point my bro!!

freecocoa: True there are some honest Nigerians for sure but believe you me,many people on that queue tried bribing their ways too but couldn't due to the amount demanded by the guy,those that weren't willing to part with their money lied and fought claiming to be there before people who came before them.

Not trying to drag people with me but honestly majority of people on that queue looked for how to maneuver their ways and trust me i wasn't the only one who gave the bribe.

Whether the corruption is from the top to bottom or bottom to top,the main thing is that there is corruption and that is where I'm laying emphasis on.
another bullseye!!!

KBrown: Come on folks! grin grin grin grin grin grin grin

1. Let's hit all the social media with this message. grin
2. Let's push all our friends on Facebook, twitters, BB, whatapp etc to critically examine themselves like most of us have done here and proffer the fine suggestions that have been put up. grin
3. As the saying goes "The man dies who keep silent in face of tyranny"

I must confess I have quoted some of the posts here (with their names) and sent to my BB contacts. I have told my friends to start taking responsibility for their actions or inactions. grin grin

4. Let's spread the message. [s]There is no forum better placed than Nairaland[/s] EXCUSE ME!!!!! shocked shocked shocked to start the Nigerian version of "Arab Springs" Let's go!

maasoap: The laws are there for the leaders and rulers to apply to erring followers. It is because they are corrupt and can't enforce laws that makes followers too to be swimming in corruption. Majority of the people in any society have tendency to be corrupt but it is the duty of rulers to punish criminals be it followers or fellow leaders. French president declare his assets few hours into office but our dear Jona keeps mute about his assets. It is just a pity you can't see that the leaders can make the nation whatever they want it to be. Just make the laws of the land working. If you didn't witness the era of WAI under Buhari/Idiagbon, I'm sure you would have read or heard about it.

Maasoap, abeg sharrap dia!! na hardwork to hia u tok, na god i take beg u, bring ya brain com nxt tym u log on, biko nwa nnem!!

Kingsleyinfo:
Exactly my point bro.
Its time to stop looking for who to blame, let us face the fact.
If everybody refuses to give bribe to the police, will it not stop?
If students stop offering money for marks in exams will malpractice not stop?

If we all speak up with one voice against corruption will things not change?
I can assure u that if you call the politicians and ask them why things are this way you would be almost convinced by their explanations.
But the truth is that what's wrong is wrong no matter the name u give to it.
our leaders are a product of our system.
but one thing I have realised in life "there is nothing as rewarding as doing what is right"
Its up to you and I to see beyond ourselves and understand that untill we speak up no one will do it for us.
take America for example, we all know they are corrupt, but why is it not vivid? Its because there are people both leaders and followers alike who would rather die than allow corruption to thrive.

the op has asked a question, which calls for sober reflection rather than accusations and counter accusations.
the worst thing a man can do is to blame another person for his failures.

So am asking myself "am I less corrupt than my leaders?"
MAY GOD HELP US ALL.

Tayerulz: I'm always mad at topics lyk dis, wot do u mean by we r also corrupt. YAHO YAHO AGBEROS DON LAND again o!!
Our leaders are directly responsible for d corruption in dis country by 99.9% take it or leave it. Our founding fathers did not train our mind. Are you tellin me dat americans are not also corrupt? Ofcourse they are but the govt is reducin its effect in all ways by makin lives of its citizens worth livin. All gud jobs are for their children & grandchildren , money for infrastructures are being forwarded to their childrns acct oversea etc. Our leaders must all be killed before nigeria can progress, go & learn from ghana. They made us corrupt by making life so difficult for us & as human being we wuld want to live or @ op why dnt u stay & die in ur village? Ones we hv a gud leader, corruption reduces coz it begins @ the top. Bleep Nigeria ☹
Mtschew!!!

Chuks84: Frosbel, like someone rightly said, your thread lacks common sense. You have effectively taken the blame from the leaders and placed it on the shoulders of the people. This is not so; a leader is elected because he is believed to be the best among the lot, if he is not capable of shouldering the burden laid upon him, then he is not fit to be a leader. Always remember, if the head is corrupt, then so is the whole body. Nigeria has the capacity for change but it has to start from the leadership not from the people as you have erroneously suggested.

Frosbel, dont mind idiots who open dia mouth first befor tinking. Wot is diffrens btwin people n rulers? Are d rulers going to visit evry wetin u carry checkpoint to prevent dem asking for N50 per molue?

Are d rulers/leaders going to check all advert for civil savant jobs to make sure is right? Or are dey going to check all contracts on award to make sure is not inflated?

Tok sense abeg, otherwise we go force seun to second base u jooooor!!
Re: Are We Any Better Than The Leaders We Condemn ? by warrior101: 9:18am On Jun 04, 2012
frosbel:

Thank You.

Many ( Not all ) who are critical of this article also have their hands stained in the mire of corruption !!

Maybe thats how we know this topic is trash.. Who nor go nor know
Re: Are We Any Better Than The Leaders We Condemn ? by Iskra: 9:25am On Jun 04, 2012
Tis a very interesting topic to bring up but then its thrashing the same old horse some others might say, and the response is why not?lets keep thrashing it until this horse dies(i mean we kill it) or if it refuses to die until it walks into the sea(being suicidal but this is most unlikely with corruption).We are a nation of frankensteins.we are the most vivid example of a people who is without any externally caused trauma,yet sick with multiple personality disorders of the self inflicted kind.I fear to judge but I don’t fear to state the truth I know and to live by it.This is what Nigerians need,I am not perfect,I have been corrupt because I have participated in acts of corruption yet the situations in which such corrupt acts were performed and in what direction it flowed doesn’t really matter.What do we need in Nigeria?Leaders with conviction…it sounds a lazy or easily glossed over word but our needs are summed up in the word “conviction”.for it is this and this alone that makes men who they are.It is this that creates the resolve to do the right thing, come what may and not minding where the cards fall.It is this that makes men constant in their endeavors..be it evil or good.A man with conviction can’t deceive the electorate.because we apriori know who he is and his ilk is not hidden from us.That is why I say we are a nation of frankensteins.We have pastors more venomous than snakes,imams more blood thirsthry than leeches,leaders more thieving than scoundrels,it goes on and on and on to our teachers and parents and ourselves…because we have families and homes sicker than anything needing life support.It is good to give speeches…but most times I read and hear us speak not out of conviction but out of self praise and seeking for someone to say he speaks well or that was a good speech and then we recoil into our havens of self conceited fame and glory and warped intelligence. It will get us no where.we are a nation of frankensteins and not men or individuals.The solution is not church or mosque or government…it lies with us.We must all live with conviction and my dear friends…conviction is worn on the sleeves …it is not announced but it is there for all to see.I have to make it clear though..We need men of sound conviction…This is an except from my essays...it can be used but state the source..oveseovese@gmail.com
Re: Are We Any Better Than The Leaders We Condemn ? by Nobody: 9:30am On Jun 04, 2012
I for one, has vowed never to do any business or be involved in any business where bribery is required to excel. Never, ever.

If this means I remain a salaried worker, so be it, life is not all about the acquisition of material things with the resultant corruption.

Hopefully in the UK one can eventually start a business without stealing, bribing, kick backs and outright dishonesty.
Re: Are We Any Better Than The Leaders We Condemn ? by blackknight1: 9:32am On Jun 04, 2012
angrysilly nigerians. always so fast to point fingers, forgeting that when you point, the rest of
your fingers are pointing back @ you! I sometimes wonder how many people truly hate corruption, and how many are angry, cos they are not in the position to chop the national cake
Re: Are We Any Better Than The Leaders We Condemn ? by Nobody: 9:35am On Jun 04, 2012
black knight: angrysilly nigerians. always so fast to point fingers, forgeting that when you point, the rest of
your fingers are pointing back @ you! I sometimes wonder how many people truly hate corruption, and how many are angry, cos they are not in the position to chop the national cake

don't mind dem jare grin grin
Re: Are We Any Better Than The Leaders We Condemn ? by jamace(m): 9:35am On Jun 04, 2012
How can a follower be better (more disciplined) than a leader? If that happens, then that leader should honourably descend from the height and join the ranks because he is not worth the position.

Leadership is authority to enforce discipline.
Re: Are We Any Better Than The Leaders We Condemn ? by Iskra: 9:36am On Jun 04, 2012
Not to be too serious but to add a playful spin this thread...You think if you strike the sheperd the sheep will scatter(this is an example of the I just want to sday something that sopunds intelligent speech i spoke of) sorry to tell you that in nigeria..strike the sheperd and a more corrupt sheperd has ben bred in its place...unless this was a sheperd of sound conviction...And for those who think many nigerians in their places of work are hard working and not corrupt...I ask have they been in positions where they had to option to be hard working or not and still earn an equal or more pay...because most of the people and practices we call corrupt are all tied to degrees. we..everyone from leaders to the led were all once children and went to one sunday school or mosque or primary school and did social studies and learnt civic responsibilities and the whole package of what makes for a responsible citizen but then the corruption remains and these same angels ..because many parents at one time or the other thought their children so even though the reality might be starkly different as adults...for these same children are the thieves,are the scoundrels,are the corrupt,are the unfeeling,the cult gang member they are me and you.they are the most notable face of nigeria.
Re: Are We Any Better Than The Leaders We Condemn ? by Ifeanyispace: 9:36am On Jun 04, 2012
We are as good and as bad as our leaders, we are just waiting for opportunity to show the human in us
Re: Are We Any Better Than The Leaders We Condemn ? by marvel10: 9:40am On Jun 04, 2012
I agree with Frosbel that corruption and a look from within will help the war towards corruption. The nation deserves the leader it gets. Over the last election period, I noted with shame and regret, women of substance donning their gele to welcome one dodgy person or the other, even though they knew they were sharing proceeds from the nation's purse. Do I take them seriously when they moan about GEJ? Nope! They were happy to collect money from PDP but voted ACN. I just don't understand some ppl.

@Freecocoa, I hear you. I can't feel bad about queues though. Fortunately, I have never had to bribe. They recognise me at the banks (you'd be amazed how retentive the customer service staff' memories can be when they have been dashed handsomely before) and I am in and out in minutes. Do you know why I don't give a damn? Because Nigerians do not know a damn thing about costing. They waste their lives queueing and waste other people's time in the process. Did you see the rubbernecks at the scene of the crash? They have little or no leisure so queueing and wasting time are a hobby and a pastime.
Re: Are We Any Better Than The Leaders We Condemn ? by gidjah(m): 9:41am On Jun 04, 2012
coruptn has realy eaten deep in to d fabrics of d systems of nigerians.ds is due to d bondage poverty has kept pple under.our mentality has been dented by this cancer called poverty.so our ldrs kno ds then they capitalise on ds by kipin us unda ds spell,a country were d average man live below 1dollar,wot do u xpect??in europe u cnt scope an average man in to coruptn n unpatriotism,ds coz their ldrs put dem 1st in all things.let our ldrs put service n faithfulnes in all they do.we shal survive
Re: Are We Any Better Than The Leaders We Condemn ? by zxtos: 9:45am On Jun 04, 2012
frosbel: Let us take a careful look at our own lives, are we not also corrupt ?

When you inflate those contract figures, are you not corrupt ?

When you get a Job not by merit , but by who know who, are you not corrupt ?

When you bribe or are bribed to get a contract, are you not corrupt ?

When you steal another man's idea and make a fortune out of it, are you not corrupt ?

When you bribe your children into schools and universities, are you not corrupt ?

When you borrow money to start a business and refuse to pay it back, are you not corrupt ?

When you refuse to pay your workers, are you not corrupt ?

When you spend your entire life scamming westerners and defrauding your country man, are you not corrupt ?

When you increase the prices of your goods 10 times the inflation value, are you not corrupt ?

When you bribe PHCN to give light to your area, while the less fortunate dwell in darkness , are you not corrupt ?

I could go on and on and on but the list will become an endless one.

My point is, we deserve the leaders we have , a corrupt people deserve a corrupt leadership. NIGERIA is CORRUPT from Head to Toe.

Our sins and wickedness have now piled to the heavens and retribution is being poured out without mercy, since we commit these sins without mercy and oppress the poor without mercy, God will how no mercy in his judgements, except we show repentance by a contrite heart.

Our problem is not just leadership, but our greed and avarice, brutality, tribalism, religious fanaticism to name a few vices.

So next time you start screaming abuse at GEJ and co, look at yourself, are you any better or are you not part of the problem ?

GBAM!!! Right On Point.

Unfortunately, many may not see and understand because the environment and experiences most times shapes our perspective to life.

The change must start from within each individuals.
Re: Are We Any Better Than The Leaders We Condemn ? by blackknight1: 9:45am On Jun 04, 2012
legedzBENZ: MrsDarkSkin abi wetin u call yasef!! Obama worse than AIDS? Ya people sen u go yankee go emancipate, but e be like say na agberos u dey hang out wit o!
Obama dey park d shyt* wen Dubya Bush live, and u dey diss am?
Switch on ya brain abeg, biko my sis...
Somebody get to pay to pack d shyt* wey dey for revren fada altar nah - oyinbo call dat person TAXPAYERS, abi??

freecocoa - good to hear a few people talk sense grin grin grin
just by reading the comments, its easy to identify the yaho yaho boys (n ther girlfriends lol) and the agberos n ocho pasenjas, even d totally jobless sef!

on point my bro!!

another bullseye!!!

Maasoap, abeg sharrap dia!! na hardwork to hia u tok, na god i take beg u, bring ya brain com nxt tym u log on, biko nwa nnem!!

Mtschew!!!

Frosbel, dont mind idiots who open dia mouth first befor tinking. Wot is diffrens btwin people n rulers? Are d rulers going to visit evry wetin u carry checkpoint to prevent dem asking for N50 per molue?

Are d rulers/leaders going to check all advert for civil savant jobs to make sure is right? Or are dey going to check all contracts on award to make sure is not inflated?

Tok sense abeg, otherwise we go force seun to second base u jooooor!!

so if I may ask, from where were the corrupt leaders of today taken from? were they not the followers of yesterday. if the people of today tolerate corruption (of which there is no such thing as small corruption, a thief is a thief whether its for maggi, or for millions. the only difference is only in opportunity ), then what hope do we have for the leaders of tomorrow
Re: Are We Any Better Than The Leaders We Condemn ? by jamace(m): 9:46am On Jun 04, 2012
gidjah: coruptn has realy eaten deep in to d fabrics of d systems of nigerians.ds is due to d bondage poverty has kept pple under.our mentality has been dented by this cancer called poverty.so our ldrs kno ds then they capitalise on ds by kipin us unda ds spell,a country were d average man live below 1dollar,wot do u xpect??in europe u cnt scope an average man in to coruptn n unpatriotism,ds coz their ldrs put dem 1st in all things.let our ldrs put service n faithfulnes in all they do.we shal survive
The corrupt SYSTEM came about because our so-call leaders cherished and nourished it. The followers are what they are because the leaders provided the enabling environment.
Re: Are We Any Better Than The Leaders We Condemn ? by ddippset(m): 9:47am On Jun 04, 2012
we are all corrupt from top to bottom but who's gonna change first? Top or bottom. For me it's the top. Anyone who believes contrary probably has themself, a government parent or relation stealing in government.

1 Like

Re: Are We Any Better Than The Leaders We Condemn ? by ballabriggs: 9:48am On Jun 04, 2012
When the Nigerian people are allowed freely to pick their right leaders, they would thrive. The British people are not any better, however what goes for them is that being straight forward has been embedded in their culture by the leadership. It is not done by one man, it is done through the process of social engineering. It is only the leadership that has the resources for such a project.

Secondly, governance is about setting the one at the top. The appearance of probity is as important as its substance. If the people can feel the integrity of their leaders they are bound to fall in line.

Lastly, is it these people that build their schools, grade their roads, provide their electricity, provide water, provide credit facilities for themselves, secure their environments, is it the same people you tell me have a problem? The British man would not do this if his government does not provide it. So quit the assumption that Nigerians have issues. Nigerians have issues because of the condition they've been put by their leaders. Any human who finds himself in the same situation would do likewise.
Re: Are We Any Better Than The Leaders We Condemn ? by ndahbros1: 9:48am On Jun 04, 2012
jamace:

Whether elected or selected, once you get into leadership position, the spirit of leadeship should take control of you. You no longer have an option but to lead and lead well.

If a man was not honourable b4 becoming a leader, he will not also be honourable as a leader. Do they attend special leadership courses wen sworn into office? As a man thinketh, so is he. Y do u suppose dat an office will fundamentally alter a man's lifelong xter and make him a better man? It even becomes easier to be a bad man because of d trappings and effect and effizy of naked, raw power. It is easier for a gud man to turn bad wen in office than for a bad man to turn gud wen in office. In fact, I bet u to giv any example of d latter. I can fill e-space with examples of d former.
How many student union bodies are really sincere n accountable wen it involves money? Yet tomorrow they will turn social activists and start lambasting govt for corruption.
If u dip ur hand in a bowl of rotten fruits, it is impossible to get a good fruit. Where will d transition from bad to gud occur? In ur hands?
Re: Are We Any Better Than The Leaders We Condemn ? by warrior101: 9:50am On Jun 04, 2012
Iskra: Not to be too serious but to add a playful spin this thread...You think if you strike the sheperd the sheep will scatter(this is an example of the I just want to sday something that sopunds intelligent speech i spoke of) sorry to tell you that in nigeria..strike the sheperd and a more corrupt sheperd has ben bred in its place...unless this was a sheperd of sound conviction...And for those who think many nigerians in their places of work are hard working and not corrupt...I ask have they been in positions where they had to option to be hard working or not and still earn an equal or more pay...because most of the people and practices we call corrupt are all tied to degrees. we..everyone from leaders to the led were all once children and went to one sunday school or mosque or primary school and did social studies and learnt civic responsibilities and the whole package of what makes for a responsible citizen but then the corruption remains and these same angels ..because many parents at one time or the other thought their children so even though the reality might be starkly different as adults...for these same children are the thieves,are the scoundrels,are the corrupt,are the unfeeling,the cult gang member they are me and you.they are the most notable face of nigeria.

this must be a disguise reply to my post with a little bit of cotradiction and double standard... My post to me covers every question. I said i believe that people can change and a leader in a country like 9nja should be a changed person (by change i mean law abiding).. then later a gave a theory of striking the sheppard which works fine
Re: Are We Any Better Than The Leaders We Condemn ? by freecocoa(f): 9:50am On Jun 04, 2012
@Marvel110,I can't help laughing at the part where you said queuing is a hobby and pastime for some people grin,looking at it is kinda true.
Re: Are We Any Better Than The Leaders We Condemn ? by maasoap(m): 9:52am On Jun 04, 2012
olyivy:

From which level of government does leadership start?

Who are those people that enforce these laws? Is it the Executive, Legislators ...?

Is it not someone like you that becomes a MOPOL tomorrow with the sole purpose of collecting roger on the highways?

Are policemen leaders?

Ol exonerating anyone doesnt add up. Yea it is right to blame the 'leaders' but even if they 'try' to do all their jobs without the coperation of non leaders, it will still fail along the line because a corrupt individual will frustrate them along the line!
You still didn't get it at all. If I become a MOPOL tomorrow and start collecting bribe, it is still the duty of the system, my superior to punish me. Their inability to punish me should also attracts punishment from the executives. Being a policeman only mean you shouldn't collect bribe but doesn't mean you can't, but when you do, you should be punished. Don't paint citizens in abroad as saints, no they're not. Remember the policeman who was reported to have collected graft or bribe from Ibori, if he is found guilty he will be punished. Their executive won't let his superior sweep the allegation under carpet. Remember the policeman that shot a guy (one Ade) dead in Lagos during subsidy protest, where is he today? Even if his superior try to protect him, it's the duty of executives and legislators to ensure that justice is done. Hope you get it.
Re: Are We Any Better Than The Leaders We Condemn ? by justwise(m): 9:56am On Jun 04, 2012
jamace:
The corrupt SYSTEM came about because our so-call leaders cherished and nourished it. The followers are what they are because the leaders provided the enabling environment.

I completely disagreed with you, take responsibility for your action, if you invent the cure for HIV today will give the credit to the leaders?.

The leaders today started where you are today, going to work at 10am and registering 8am, adding more zeros at the back of 100 to make it 100.000.00s, lets be honest with ourselves, some of us are worst than our leaders we condemn.
Re: Are We Any Better Than The Leaders We Condemn ? by Nobody: 9:57am On Jun 04, 2012
[quote author=maasoap] You still didn't get it at all.
If I become a MOPOL tomorrow and start collecting bribe, it is still the duty of the system, my superior to punish me.

Wow , what a mentality, with this sort of attitude, we will all be like children misbehaving when the teacher is not around and pretending to behave when the teacher returns.

So you will wait, as a grown man who knows right from wrong, till the law catches up with you before you change your wicked ways.

We need to reform you and people like you honestly !!!

1 Like

Re: Are We Any Better Than The Leaders We Condemn ? by maasoap(m): 9:57am On Jun 04, 2012
godimento: It's two side coin. It's not good to insult a leader, is unscriptural. We should pray for them rather. But a leader need to focus & active in every given period cos a leader sin is a leading sin.
Even a leader that raised subsidy payment from less than 300 billion naira to over 2.5 trillion naira (833% increment) shouldn't be insulted or criticized? Rather we should pray for him by saying more power to his elbow. I got you.
Re: Are We Any Better Than The Leaders We Condemn ? by TechRev: 9:58am On Jun 04, 2012
I guess so many are in denial of the OP cause just a peep into their past life gave them a shock as to how much they have contributed to the downward spiral. I have said it before, to change nigeria, more than half the population has to change their ways and reasoning. Its alarming taking not of the vices and corruption in every day life of a "common man"!!! For leadership to succeed, the leader and the lead must agree on where they are going and commit to getting there by all means. If you have just a leader that's committed, no matter how much laws he put in place the followers will find a way to break it. Just like Nigerians are doing outside the shores of this country, in countries with seemingly more focused leaders and law enforcement.
Re: Are We Any Better Than The Leaders We Condemn ? by methodman(m): 9:59am On Jun 04, 2012
frosbel: Let us take a careful look at our own lives, are we not also corrupt ?

When you inflate those contract figures, are you not corrupt ?

When you get a Job not by merit , but by who know who, are you not corrupt ?

When you bribe or are bribed to get a contract, are you not corrupt ?

When you steal another man's idea and make a fortune out of it, are you not corrupt ?

When you bribe your children into schools and universities, are you not corrupt ?

When you borrow money to start a business and refuse to pay it back, are you not corrupt ?

When you refuse to pay your workers, are you not corrupt ?

When you spend your entire life scamming westerners and defrauding your country man, are you not corrupt ?

When you increase the prices of your goods 10 times the inflation value, are you not corrupt ?

When you bribe PHCN to give light to your area, while the less fortunate dwell in darkness , are you not corrupt ?

I could go on and on and on but the list will become an endless one.

My point is, we deserve the leaders we have , a corrupt people deserve a corrupt leadership. NIGERIA is CORRUPT from Head to Toe.

Our sins and wickedness have now piled to the heavens and retribution is being poured out without mercy, since we commit these sins without mercy and oppress the poor without mercy, God will how no mercy in his judgements, except we show repentance by a contrite heart.

Our problem is not just leadership, but our greed and avarice, brutality, tribalism, religious fanaticism to name a few vices.

So next time you start screaming abuse at GEJ and co, look at yourself, are you any better or are you not part of the problem ?

God Bless you for this wonderful fact of yours. You are wonderful. Most Nigerians believe dey are better off. Yoruba adage says...* Falana gbo tire tara eni la a gbo*
Re: Are We Any Better Than The Leaders We Condemn ? by Nobody: 10:01am On Jun 04, 2012
ballabriggs: When the Nigerian people are allowed freely to pick their right leaders, they would thrive. The British people are not any better, however what goes for them is that being straight forward has been embedded in their culture by the leadership. It is not done by one man, it is done through the process of social engineering. It is only the leadership that has the resources for such a project.

Actually they are better.

Even when the law enforcers are not present, the majority of brits obey the law.

They have it coded into their system that honesty and integrity pays, while dishonesty and fraud does not.

Of course, they are not perfect , we still hear of cronyism in politics, but it is not to defraud the system, rather it is to award contracts and put people they trust as close friends into positions of power.

However when you look at the quality of work these contractors perform, it is almost always on time, to budget and of the highest standards of quality.
Re: Are We Any Better Than The Leaders We Condemn ? by vaniesexy: 10:01am On Jun 04, 2012
Yes i agree with you,but my question what is the way out,d only tin i believe is that we need a true christain who worship God in spirit and in truth,and prayers, some of u here will say where is God, but how can God dwell in you wen u chase him away from you with your sins,people lieing,comitin adultery and fornication,anger,jealousy,hatred,cursing, do u know causing your leaders no matter how d behave is a sin,read ur bible,instead pray for them, if u r ready for change lets form a Godly group,we will pray,preach repentance to all cause nigerians what we need is GOD
Re: Are We Any Better Than The Leaders We Condemn ? by maasoap(m): 10:05am On Jun 04, 2012
freecocoa: To be sincere to you,I wasn't thinking of the pattern here i.e top to bottom or bottom to top,i was just affirming the fact that Nigerians are corrupt.
And my point as well is that our rulers institutionalised it and they're the only one that can uproot it through strict law enforcement. Let the USA or China lapse in their strict law enforcement policy, and let's see if the beasts living inside their citizens will not surface. Majority of us are corrupt but we still need them to instill discipline in us by enforcing our laws.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Superior Joins Council Of Chiefs, As His Son Oke Declares For Ughelli North Seat / Sagay: Obasanjo Is A Hypocrite, He Should Stop Meddling In Election Matters / $1m Bribe Allegation: Ondo REC Threatens To Sue Jimoh Ibrahim

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 131
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.