Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,110 members, 7,825,504 topics. Date: Sunday, 12 May 2024 at 04:25 PM

South-East Leaders: We Accept SGF - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / South-East Leaders: We Accept SGF (6146 Views)

South East Leaders & Stakeholders' Meeting: Live Update (pics) / I Want To Unite South East Leaders With Buhari – Okorocha / Are We Any Better Than The Leaders We Condemn ? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

South-East Leaders: We Accept SGF by jason123: 3:54am On May 17, 2011
LAGOS — AFTER much debates, series of meetings and horse-trading, majority of leaders of the South-East geo-political zone have reached consensus on the acceptance of the position of Secretary to the Government of the Federation, SGF, as zoned to the area by the Peoples Democratic Party, PDP, hierarchy, according to Vanguard checks. Ohanaeze Ndigbo, umbrella body of Igbo socio-cultural organisations, is expected to make a pronouncement on the issue very soon.

Prominent Igbo leaders including governors; former Vice President, Dr Alex Ekwueme; Ohanaeze and South-East PDP leaders, have been brainstorming on the issue.

The consensus is anchored on what a source described as ‘superior argument’ that in practical terms the SGF is better than the House of Representatives Speaker, which the zone is demanding on account of its massive support for the PDP at the Presidential and National Assembly polls.

Dr Alex Ekwueme, Chief Achike Udenwa, Dr Samuel Egwu, Senator Ben Obi and Others during an Igbo Summit in Owerri last year. Photo: Hill Ezeugwu

Another factor that is swaying the decision in favour of accepting the SGF slot is the need to ‘help President Goodluck Jonathan to succeed’ after playing leading roles in getting him elected.

However, the leaders are against a leading Abia State politician, who had served severally as a minister and party leader since the return of civil and being pushed by former President Olusegun Obasanjo, emerging as the SGF. They would rather prefer a more credible person, perhaps, a former leader of the National Assembly from the South-East to occupy the strategic post.

In the past couple of days, Igbo leaders have been intensely divided on the issue. Veteran journalist and former Editor of New Nigerian Newspapers, Chief Innocent Oparadike; Conference of Nigeria Political Parties, CNPP, Secretary, Mr. Osita Okechukwu, said that the speakership was more useful than the SGF, who holds the job at the absolute mercy of the President.

Imperial chief of staff

Indeed, Okechukwu said the SGF was irrelevant when “there sits on the throne of the President, an imperial chief of staff. More so, the office is not listed on the order of protocol and the occupier can be fired at the whims and caprices of the President.”

Former Governor of Anambra State and Action Congress of Nigeria, ACN, senator-elect in Anambra, Dr. Chris Ngige shares this view. Speaking on a television interview yesterday, he urged the South-East to insist on the speakership, which he stressed was better than the SGF, a mere appointee of the President.

However, some Igbo leaders told Vanguard that the SGF was more strategic and could position the Igbo better in the scheme of things in the country.

Those who shared this view include Second Republic politician and Anambra State chairman of defunct Nigeria Peoples Party, NPP, Chief Guy Ikokwu; former National Democratic Coalition, NADECO, chieftain, Chief Chuba Egolum and Chief Hyde Onuaguluchi.

Ikokwu, who was also a stalwart of NADECO and pioneer chairman of PDP in Anambra State, said the SGF was a powerful post because the occupier controls appointments, oversees the day-to-day running of government and is closer to the President than the Vice President.

He said: “Why did they remove Babagana Kingibe as SGF. They felt he was too powerful. If the South-East is going for the presidency in 2015, the nearest that will help them is the SGF. What is speaker? The Speaker is junior to the Senate President.”

Ikokwu said that apart from the presidency, SGF was another prime post that the South-East had not held. He noted: “We have tried vice president. We have tried Senate President thrice and Speaker twice. What did the South-East gain from them? Let’s embrace SGF.”

Besides, the politician, said the South-East had a duty to help Jonathan succeed.

Speaking in like manner, Egolum, said, “SGF is more strategic. He is there in the presidency and knows what is happening. All appointments go through him. Ministers report to him. He has votes and it is more broad-based than the speakership.”

http://www.vanguardngr.com/2011/05/south-east-leaders-we-accept-sgf/
Re: South-East Leaders: We Accept SGF by aljharem3: 4:15am On May 17, 2011
hmmmmm

ok we dey laff ooo
Re: South-East Leaders: We Accept SGF by Nobody: 4:26am On May 17, 2011
So this was after they said "SGF is better than HSpeaker"?

No biggie, now on to local/regional development. And fighting corruption, of course.
Re: South-East Leaders: We Accept SGF by jason123: 4:33am On May 17, 2011
Offense but after all the "lobbying" they still ended up settling for this same position they once hated just because someone said it "higher" shocked shocked shocked *shocked is an understatement*
Re: South-East Leaders: We Accept SGF by sbeezy8: 4:36am On May 17, 2011
jason123:

Offense but after all the "lobbying" they still ended up settling for this same position they once hated just because someone said it "higher" shocked shocked shocked *shocked is an understatement*

sad!
Re: South-East Leaders: We Accept SGF by ektbear: 5:06am On May 17, 2011
[img]http://beingfullypresent.files./2010/08/white-flag.jpg[/img]

Nah I shouldn't mock them, I guess. But given the triumphalist posts/threads from a month ago (e.g., "Biggest Loser is the SW"wink, I cannot quite resist.
Re: South-East Leaders: We Accept SGF by dayokanu(m): 6:02am On May 17, 2011
smh
Re: South-East Leaders: We Accept SGF by EzeUche2(m): 6:03am On May 17, 2011
How much silver were these bastarrds offered?

30 pieces. . .

Re: South-East Leaders: We Accept SGF by EzeUche2(m): 6:06am On May 17, 2011
But some people are saying this could possibly be pure speculation. . .

I hope these people do not let the Ndigbo down.
Re: South-East Leaders: We Accept SGF by Rhino5dm: 6:20am On May 17, 2011
The face of LOSERS! Brainless looking pathetic retarrded loons!

Are these bastarrds the ones to be compared with SW leaders?. . .mooroon!
Re: South-East Leaders: We Accept SGF by bigspif(m): 7:00am On May 17, 2011
Im not in anyway suprised !! We always take s h i t served to us, loud mouth and no action, God purnish our selfish leaders. embarassed embarassed embarassed
Re: South-East Leaders: We Accept SGF by tankwa: 7:15am On May 17, 2011
SSG IGBO
DEPUTY SPEAKER IGBO
Yoruba Yoruba WHERE UNA DEY
Re: South-East Leaders: We Accept SGF by Nobody: 7:16am On May 17, 2011

They should try out agbada and fila.

More swagga!
Re: South-East Leaders: We Accept SGF by dayokanu(m): 7:23am On May 17, 2011
Secretary in other words means receptionist and Clerk

Its a very important position, He gets to taste food before GEJ, clean GGEJ's chair, wash his clothes, clean his shoes, open the door for him to come in

And when GEJ goes to carry ashewo in Abuja the SGF first sample to Ashi to know if she has HIV or Magun
Re: South-East Leaders: We Accept SGF by ufumes(m): 7:49am On May 17, 2011
I guess they dont have much choice after.
Re: South-East Leaders: We Accept SGF by dustydee: 8:01am On May 17, 2011
lets just get the job done and stop talking about zoning since the PDP had abolished it technically.
Re: South-East Leaders: We Accept SGF by dempeople(m): 8:08am On May 17, 2011
What an elder sees while sitting, a child cannot see it while standing.

It could be speculations, it could be part of a greater deal. . .

Whatever it is, the negotiators were MEN before I was born. Most have been in the game of politics before my parents met each other.

And I know how many years its been.

Which means, the politics I think I know, was the politics they have played several times ago, some of it before my birth. Apologies to Ekwueme.

Sometimes, some of us allow emotions to take the better side of things. I believe in logical thinking.

Either way, they aren't so naive as to stoop so low to accept this position if something great hasn't been negotiated.

They should know better as to have read the minds and imagine the psyche of their fellow Ndigbo.

They tell us they accepted SGF. Ndigbo's enemies rejoice and their friends despair.

But the negotiators have dribbled us all for they are in posession of the golden fleece. Only this time, its wise not to tell the world.
Re: South-East Leaders: We Accept SGF by alexleo(m): 8:08am On May 17, 2011
you people are here talking nonsense. The southwest is already losing the speakership to the north east according to yesterday's news. Now if the north becomes in charge of the national assembly then Jonathan will have serious problem in his government. First, the north said they were supporting south west for speakership. Now they ve made a U turn to support their own person since they have the majority number to achieve it. They said that zoning is dead. This is not the time to bash each other like some foolish people have already started here. This is the time to think of the way forward. I still insist that Igbos should support Jonathan. For them to have agreed to accept the SGF post there must have been a secret deal with Jonathan as per what they stand to benefit. Its a pity we have some empty brain here like rhino.5dm who throws insult to igbos at any slightest thing. Keep wasting your energy and heaping curse on your head. Your insult ends here and it has no effect on the Igbos here and out there. Eze uche you too use your head and stop talking nonsense. Whatever post that will impact on development in Igbo land is ok by me.
Re: South-East Leaders: We Accept SGF by DoubleN(m): 8:10am On May 17, 2011
The Same conspiring bunch of clowns. undecided
Re: South-East Leaders: We Accept SGF by Rhino5dm: 8:18am On May 17, 2011
Psychobabble from a certified lunatic faced with subzero temperatures.
Only a mooroon won't be able see clearly that the losers are the money worshiping goons. Keep up!

alexleo:

you people are here talking nonsense. The southwest is already losing the speakership to the north east according to yesterday's news. Now if the north becomes in charge of the national assembly then Jonathan will have serious problem in his government. First, the north said they were supporting south west for speakership. Now they ve made a U turn to support their own person since they have the majority number to achieve it. They said that zoning is dead. This is not the time to bash each other like some foolish people have already started here. This is the time to think of the way forward. I still insist that Igbos should support Jonathan. For them to have agreed to accept the SGF post there must have been a secret deal with Jonathan as per what they stand to benefit. Its a pity we have some empty brain here like rhino.5dm who throws insult to igbos at any slightest thing. Keep wasting your energy and heaping curse on your head. Your insult ends here and it has no effect on the Igbos here and out there. Eze uche you too use your head and stop talking nonsense. Whatever post that will impact on development in Igbo land is ok by me.

Re: South-East Leaders: We Accept SGF by revolt(m): 8:43am On May 17, 2011
Fools the sgf is our best bet now if we wnt an igbo president come 2015. Its a necessary risk worth taking since we've already shot ourselves in the foot by killing zoning. It positions US better. Myopic bunch.
Re: South-East Leaders: We Accept SGF by Brai777(m): 9:09am On May 17, 2011
If this report is true, then, why are south east leaders always phocking up? why make so much noise and then go back to your vomit. It would have been better if they accepted the position initially without exposing their stupidity. The SSG did not have any power at all, he does not control any govt apparatus, he is just some highly glorify house boy which the president can fire at anytime. Can we all remember how UMY fire Babagana Kingibe.

A president cannot just fire the senate president or house speaker without deplore heavy resources of the state. Though OBJ fire some senate president, but he met his match in Anyin Pius Anyim and Ken Nnamani and he failed woefully trying to instigate reps against Ghali Naaba. The power of the wields by the senate president and house speaker almost equal that of the sitting president.

What is happening to Ndigbo, the Nigeria state is gradually pushing them to minority status.
Re: South-East Leaders: We Accept SGF by nedu666: 9:18am On May 17, 2011
u guys make me sick, u believe everything newspapers say, was vanguard not the same set of people that told us yaradua was as fit as a fiddle, open ur mind this article was sponsored by someone likely ken namani or ojo madueke hoping to force them into accepting the position, secondly the meeting has not been held so where does a consensus come from, if vanguard were sure of their sources they should quote the names of the people.
Re: South-East Leaders: We Accept SGF by nedu666: 9:22am On May 17, 2011
come to think of it there is a story of GEJ ordering d fall in cement prices, this affects everyone yet it did not make headline news, rather accepting sgf is the main news, abeg i can bet £1000, that someone paid vanguard to ensure this article is front page
Re: South-East Leaders: We Accept SGF by Guyman02: 9:37am On May 17, 2011
nedu666:

u guys make me sick, u believe everything newspapers say, was vanguard not the same set of people that told us yaradua was as fit as a fiddle, open your mind this article was sponsored by someone likely ken namani or Ojo Maduekwe hoping to force them into accepting the position, secondly the meeting has not been held so where does a consensus come from, if vanguard were sure of their sources they should quote the names of the people.

Yeah! you are correct. Somebody paid for that front page advert and we know their likes.
The issue of positions is mostly about the psychological feeling it gives to the people holding that post, not really about the benefits to the country.
The president can hire and fire the SGF anytime anyday, but he cant do that to the Speaker, VP SP, or party chairman.

The SGF is not listed in the order of protocol which implies that in any ceremony, the MC will always say 'Your excellency the president and C-in-C of the Armed Forces of the FRN, Your excellency the VP of the FRN, Your Excellency the Senate President of the FRN, Your excellency the Speaker of the FRN, Your Excellency the Chairman of the biggest party in Africa PDP, Your Excellencies the governors of the 36 States of the Federation.
(The SGF is mentioned along with the appointed ministers, Gentlemen and Ladies)
Re: South-East Leaders: We Accept SGF by ak47mann(m): 9:37am On May 17, 2011
na waoo if i talk now they go report me to mod grin some people like to diss but cant take the hit  undecided
Re: South-East Leaders: We Accept SGF by macjive01: 9:43am On May 17, 2011
Guys this is politics

Ekweremadu was lobbying for senate president

Emeka ihedioha lobbying for house speaker

Some unelected persons lobby for Igbos to accept SGF in the hope he wud hv the chance to be appointed.

Ohaneze keeping mute while demanding to know the "total package" .
Is a refinery coming to an Igbo state?
If not, is a petrochemical coming ?

If not, will an Igbo man b getting d third national telephone carrier- as Adenuga got the 2nd?
If not, FCT minister- to compensate thousands of genuine Igbo victims who lost their houses from mallam erufai ethnic cleasen?
If not,

Wud he - GEJ, set up a commission to negotiate n seriously lobby for the release of nigerians in foreign jails - vietnam to kandaha, kum lumpu to Cambodia and SA ?
If not,

Then we will insist on senate presidency.
Re: South-East Leaders: We Accept SGF by Abali1(m): 9:50am On May 17, 2011
I have been reading different comments on this issue of speakership or nothing. I refused to make any comment, because i know quite well that at the end of the day the Igbo politicians will do themselves in. Am an igbo man (nwa afo nwujuru aran) and I as I believed before the election, I still believe now that JEG is not the best thing to have happened to Nigeria and the igbo.s in particular. Was it not only two days ago that the so called political leaders of the igbo's were threatening to leave pdp enmass. today they have accepted SGF, a position which JEG can just wake up from a bad dream and decide to fire the person.

And where do we get that idea from that the south easterner will be president come 2015. PDP have killed zoning, and I believe that it wasn't totally by chance that zoning was killed. If any igbo person comes up with the theory that "it's only fair to allow an igbo to be president and marginalisation bullshyte" the other groups in Nigeria will never listen to them.
Please brothers and sisters on this forum, believe it or not the igbo political leaders have sold their slot for the presidency come 2015 for a meal of pottage. GEJ is from the SS, and I find it hard to believe that Nigeria's political heavy weights will back the SE, who are cousins to the SS, come 2015 for the presidency.
I base my argument on the law of percentages.

As NIGGA RAW will say, "nwanne mepe anya, ibu kwanu mugu"
Re: South-East Leaders: We Accept SGF by Bensonite: 9:51am On May 17, 2011
nedu666:

come to think of it there is a story of GEJ ordering d fall in cement prices, this affects everyone yet it did not make headline news, rather accepting sgf is the main news, abeg i can bet £1000, that someone paid vanguard to ensure this article is front page
The fall in cement price will not make news on NL as NLers are always anti-GEJ. If the news was something else they will rush and post nonesense. I do not think NL reflects the views of the average Nigerians in the street or village. The elections proved this assertion right.
Re: South-East Leaders: We Accept SGF by RoadStar: 9:56am On May 17, 2011
macjive01:

Guys this is politics

Ekweremadu was lobbying for senate president

Emeka ihedioha lobbying for house speaker

Some unelected persons lobby for Igbos to accept SGF in the hope he wud hv the chance to be appointed.

Ohaneze keeping mute while demanding to know the "total package" .
Is a refinery coming to an Igbo state?
If not, is a petrochemical coming ?

If not, will an Igbo man b getting d third national telephone carrier- as Adenuga got the 2nd?
If not, FCT minister- to compensate thousands of genuine Igbo victims who lost their houses from mallam erufai ethnic cleasen?
If not,

Wud he - GEJ, set up a commission to negotiate n seriously lobby for the release of nigerians in foreign jails - vietnam to kandaha, kum lumpu to Cambodia and SA ?
If not,

Then we will insist on senate presidency.

U see when I see tribalists I try to make a picture of what a fool looks like.

All these guys in politics are not there for the good of anyone or tribe.
They are there for business. The moment they get their personal goals then  they are fine.
They just use tribalism as a leverage for their own good.

Its a shame that politicians who will stoop to any levels to attain personal goal will drag a whole race of people down with them.
And for a people who have achieved a lot amidst total neglect by various governments, I must say that this generation of Igbos (and i dont mean only the leaders) is becoming a huge disappointment/embarrassment.
Re: South-East Leaders: We Accept SGF by MIKOLOWISKA: 9:58am On May 17, 2011
na wa o.no light no water no road hospital school train.  nigeria get problem if dis is how her future leaders are thinkin of zoning instead of whether their ministers governors reps senators and lg chairmen will perform.  hope there are still some serious minded guys around ay 2015 or before then sef (recall)
Re: South-East Leaders: We Accept SGF by yeswecan(m): 10:01am On May 17, 2011
Foolish people. Like it solves anything

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

If This Is Jonathan’s Helipad Then Buhari’s Own Is Extremely Expensive (PHOTOS) / Barka De Sallah To All Muslims Faithfuls / A Look At Venezuela And Why Our Government Deserves Commendation.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 72
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.