Stats: 3,154,576 members, 7,823,498 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 10:56 AM

Will Nigeria Ever Have A Female President? - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Will Nigeria Ever Have A Female President? (4832 Views)

Poll: When will Nigeria be ready for a female president?

Never: 29% (9 votes)
Nigeria is ready.: 29% (9 votes)
A few more tenures.: 41% (13 votes)
This poll has ended

Revealed! The Best President Nigeria Ever Had..see Photo Statistics / Hurricane Sandy: Will Nigeria Learn From The Emergency Response Plan Of USA? / Igbo President: What Will Nigeria Turn Into? (2) (3) (4)

Will Nigeria Ever Have A Female President? by BellaRouge(f): 2:33am On Apr 02, 2006

Hello Nairalanders,

Will Nigeria ever have a female President?

Personally, I don't think that it's going to happen in the next fifty years because it seems like the majority of Nigerian men still view women as "followers" rather than "leaders" angry.

What do you think?

Does a Igbo man have an better chance at the Presidency than ANY woman?
Re: Will Nigeria Ever Have A Female President? by Zahymaka(m): 3:03am On Apr 02, 2006
It depends. Nigerians are currently getting enlightened, however slowly. It might be harder for such a woman to come from the north however because they're more submissive up there.
Re: Will Nigeria Ever Have A Female President? by Badman888(m): 4:07am On Apr 02, 2006
cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy that means say n.a.i.j.a don finish
Re: Will Nigeria Ever Have A Female President? by Seun(m): 4:22am On Apr 02, 2006
Chippla Vandu believes that Nigerian women in government will be less corrupt.
Re: Will Nigeria Ever Have A Female President? by BellaRouge(f): 4:24am On Apr 02, 2006
Badman888:

cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy that means say n.a.i.j.a don finish

@Badman
What's that suppossed to mean? A female president could do more for Nigeria than any man has ever done.

na yeye male presidents go finish naija cheesy
Re: Will Nigeria Ever Have A Female President? by Badman888(m): 4:26am On Apr 02, 2006
see nigeria man or woman is hard to rule so imagine if a woman is president all the men as govenors and other political post would cause trouble am not saying a woman cant rule.
Re: Will Nigeria Ever Have A Female President? by larger20(m): 4:29am On Apr 02, 2006
not in the next 100 yrs
Re: Will Nigeria Ever Have A Female President? by Badman888(m): 4:30am On Apr 02, 2006
larger_20:

not in the next 100 years

hopefully my great grand daughter
Re: Will Nigeria Ever Have A Female President? by Idekeson(m): 4:38am On Apr 02, 2006
Nigeria is the land of the impossible. You never know. It's not like Nigerian presidents are elected anyway.
Re: Will Nigeria Ever Have A Female President? by BellaRouge(f): 4:42am On Apr 02, 2006
Seun:

Chippla Vandu believes that Nigerian women in government will be less corrupt.

I dont know if women will be less corrupt but I do know that a woman would have a different way of solving Naija's problems. A woman's way might be the right way!

Besides a female Nigerian president would be like a role model to Nigerian women. It would enable women to see that they can have a voice in government.

@Badman
Your great grand-daughter would be running against my great grand-daughter cool
Re: Will Nigeria Ever Have A Female President? by BellaRouge(f): 4:43am On Apr 02, 2006
Idekeson:

Nigeria is the land of the impossible. You never know. It's not like Nigerian presidents are elected anyway.

If Nigerian presidents arent elected, then how do they get into office? It's a democracy, isnt it?
Re: Will Nigeria Ever Have A Female President? by Badman888(m): 4:44am On Apr 02, 2006
ahhh the normal way now 'rig the election"
Re: Will Nigeria Ever Have A Female President? by BellaRouge(f): 4:51am On Apr 02, 2006
Badman888:

ahhh the normal way now 'rig the election"

I'm sure that fraudulent elections are not the norm in Nigeria. Didnt "rigging" stop a while ago? Besides, how would anyone know if an election is rigged or not?
Re: Will Nigeria Ever Have A Female President? by Badman888(m): 4:55am On Apr 02, 2006
we are far from stopping rigging, but Nigeria can follow with the same example as Liberia, they president is a woman i think it would be good for a change, A woman might rule the country better but the problem lies on the people involved
Re: Will Nigeria Ever Have A Female President? by Radiant(f): 12:02pm On Apr 02, 2006
buahahahaha!!!!!!!that can only happen the day the moon takes the place of the sun .Female president my ass  grin. And plz never compare an IGBO man with "any" Nigerian woman!!!! what kind of nonsense is that  shocked
Re: Will Nigeria Ever Have A Female President? by gidig(m): 12:28pm On Apr 02, 2006
Now that it has been raised, I am very positive that someone like the current minister of Finance will do a good job of being a Nigerian president.In fact she is more than qualify than most of the politicians parading themselves as leaders.

Men will follow any woman who knows her worth and one who got their by merit.Are there not men working under Okonjo Iwaela now? The problem has always been women (some women really) are begging for post on the basis of quota and not productivity.

Okonjo Iweala is a woman I am praying to God for to rule this country.Another person is Oby Ezekwelizi (hope I spelt that right)This women are proving themsleves and no one can take anything away from them.Th only challenge might be up north where the leadership is seen as masculine rather than generic.
Re: Will Nigeria Ever Have A Female President? by alj(m): 12:58pm On Apr 02, 2006
i do not see why we could not have a female president, i think Mrs Hilary Clinton is going to be the next American president!
Re: Will Nigeria Ever Have A Female President? by Idekeson(m): 2:18pm On Apr 02, 2006
BellaRouge:

If Nigerian presidents arent elected, then how do they get into office? It's a democracy, isnt it?

It's called the "selection" process. If you are selected by the god-fathers of the ruling party, you can be rest assured to be named the winner of the election. It doesn't matter your gender, education, experience etc. The only important factor is to assure them you'll carry out their bidding. To be sure of their pick, they now make the candidate swear to some shrine eg. Okija shrine. If turn out to be a bad choice, there is the impeachment card to take care of that.
Stuffing ballot boxes in Nigeria elections is so old news. It all comes down to the returning officers that are hand selected to make sure the final result is exactly as scripted by the god-fathers.
Re: Will Nigeria Ever Have A Female President? by Zahymaka(m): 4:27pm On Apr 02, 2006
As always you hit the nail on the head! There are no "elections" in Nigeria. If you want to become anything, you'd better get a Godfather.
Re: Will Nigeria Ever Have A Female President? by Badman888(m): 4:43pm On Apr 02, 2006
Zahymaka:

As always you hit the nail on the head! There are no "elections" in Nigeria. If you want to become anything, you'd better get a Godfather.

election is just for formality, that is why people are afraid of the third term stuff because OBJ is definetly entering again,
Re: Will Nigeria Ever Have A Female President? by kimba(m): 10:06pm On Apr 02, 2006
if the woman is one that grew up on the streets, then maybe she'll have the GUTS!!!
Re: Will Nigeria Ever Have A Female President? by obong(m): 12:13am On Apr 03, 2006
why do we need a female president. we need good president, regardless of thier gender. that weak women in liberia is a bad example of a good president

Re: Will Nigeria Ever Have A Female President? by vanunu: 9:20am On Apr 03, 2006
Yes, somebody like  Mrs. Dora Akunyili can do the job, better than the yorubas and the Hausas that have being messing up the country for the past 46 years through their tribal and criminal misrule. The Ibo man you can agree with me is very hardworking and always call a spade a spade. To the Ibo man there is nothing like nepotism and they are not tribalistic like the yorubas and the northerners, this of course have brought much hatred to them.
Re: Will Nigeria Ever Have A Female President? by wiseguy(m): 10:18am On Apr 03, 2006
I am not so sure of the other women but Prof (Mrs) Dora Akunyili has proved that she has what it takes to be a leader. She has put her life on the line in the interest of the poor masses of this country through her crusade in NAFDAC. And, what's more she started the war with her own kinsmen in Onitsha and had the courage to sack her own brother-in-law from work. I will go for Dora Akunyili as a President. What we need in this country is a leader who is God fearing and who obeys the wishes of the common masses of this country. I don't care where the person comes from. He/she can come from the "moon" for all I care.
Re: Will Nigeria Ever Have A Female President? by drered(m): 11:51am On Apr 03, 2006
the problem is that men see it as a taboo for a female president to rule over them personally i think it will do us much good
cos females tend to be less corrupt and have a heart smiley wink
Re: Will Nigeria Ever Have A Female President? by Jully(f): 1:01pm On Apr 03, 2006
It is high time we got ourselves better orientated.The issue of Pesidency whether female or male is not necessary important but what is important is given the privilege to exhibit one's potential which i think and know, the Nigerian woman has the adequate quality to rule.When we look at disciple;it is the woman that can enforce it in the rule of law hence making the country a better place for us to live.Nigerian Igbo leader is not yet ready to face the responsibilty of a leader and of course it is very obvious. Why dont we give a woman the opportunity to take Nigeria to the next level of respect & loyalty.
Re: Will Nigeria Ever Have A Female President? by vanunu: 1:37pm On Apr 03, 2006
who says that an Ibo man is not capable of ruling Nigeria, you people forgot that the highest position ever by a Nigerian is that of the Secretary General of the commonwealth, and it was an Ibo man Dr. Emeka Anyaoku, and he performed very well. The problem with Nigerians is that the hate the Ibos because they are the most industrious ethnic group in Nigeria,and other groups are almost always looking for opportunity to bring them down. If Nigerians don't want the Ibos to become President, that means that Barrister Ralph Uwazurike is vindicated.
Re: Will Nigeria Ever Have A Female President? by otokx(m): 1:57pm On Apr 03, 2006
when i look at the nafdac woman plus the finance minister then i shake my head. its not about educational qualification or media propagandism cause as is the case now. our president has to be politically endowed to know when to feign ignorance and when to wield the muscle
Re: Will Nigeria Ever Have A Female President? by lioness(f): 3:30pm On Apr 03, 2006
Yes Nigeria will have a female president and that would be me grin
Re: Will Nigeria Ever Have A Female President? by JosBoy4Lif(m): 4:39pm On Apr 03, 2006
u go lioness sky is the limit, but unfortunately especially in places like Nigeria, they try to impose a ceiling for women sad sad
Re: Will Nigeria Ever Have A Female President? by Zahymaka(m): 5:16pm On Apr 03, 2006
Not only in Nigeria. Check out the definition for Glass Ceiling in any encyclopedia or dictionary.
Re: Will Nigeria Ever Have A Female President? by JosBoy4Lif(m): 5:29pm On Apr 03, 2006
i know the definition bro's, and it not ony applies to women, any kind discrimintion

Breaking News: Yar'adua To Proceed On Two-week Leave / Osama Bin Laden Kept Ponography / Buhari Wants Decisive Action Against Terrorism