Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,848 members, 7,810,267 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 03:47 AM

Nat. Assembly To Honour Mikel Obi - Worth It? - Sports (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Nat. Assembly To Honour Mikel Obi - Worth It? (20821 Views)

Emmanuel Emenike Shows Off Tattoo He Got In Honour Of His Late Father / Mikel Obi Deletes Twitter Account After Racial Abuse / Top Football Players To Honour Kanu Nwankwo (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nat. Assembly To Honour Mikel Obi - Worth It? by cosmatika(m): 7:58pm On Jun 11, 2012
BizBooks: He is being honoured by a committee not the entire National Assembly. The first paragraph
clearly states: "the House of Representative Committee on Sports will honour holidaying
Nigerian international, John Mikel Obi
". But if you read only the topic of the post,
you will not get the full picture.

What else do you expect from a committee on Sports. In my opinion, their proposal is right
proper.
so for ur mind now u sabi pass everybody here wey dey against am. Both u and dem(nass) dey sick
Re: Nat. Assembly To Honour Mikel Obi - Worth It? by Agimor(m): 8:07pm On Jun 11, 2012
Giving mikel an award is not a bad ideal but the national assembly is not the right entity to have done that.why then do will have NFF.
Re: Nat. Assembly To Honour Mikel Obi - Worth It? by Kayday(m): 8:09pm On Jun 11, 2012
Whatelse can one say? These guys are just dumb. Honestly. What's their business with uefa or the english team(s). This is madness and they are ridiculing all of us.
Re: Nat. Assembly To Honour Mikel Obi - Worth It? by babeface3: 8:14pm On Jun 11, 2012
I think this is very proper; its another way of encouraging sportsmanship; if there are other ways (I know there are, but this one is not out of place) you think the committee should be doing this, suggest it, not crying wolf for nothing. We complain a lot!
Re: Nat. Assembly To Honour Mikel Obi - Worth It? by omosexy1: 8:20pm On Jun 11, 2012
This clearly buttresses my point that our political leaders lack vision and ideas. Our Sport industry is nothing but debris, the only one surviving (Football) cannot even live up to expectation. Rather than revive the sporting industry with ideas, our House of Representatives want to host a party and spend more tax payers and oil money in disguise of honoring a man who promotes and ensures football thrives in another country. I was of the premise that honors are given to persons who have distinguish themselves in a particular field and have contributed to national growth. I think with Nigeria, it is a different situation.
Re: Nat. Assembly To Honour Mikel Obi - Worth It? by deor03(m): 8:22pm On Jun 11, 2012
L W K M D...............Joke section pls
Re: Nat. Assembly To Honour Mikel Obi - Worth It? by BizBooks(m): 8:27pm On Jun 11, 2012
cosmatika: so for ur mind now u sabi pass everybody here wey dey against am. Both u and dem(nass) dey sick

If you read carefully, you will notice that most people complaining about the event
thought it is being organized by the National Assembly. They apparently do not realize
it is just a committee. Most of them only read the title "National Assembly to Honour
Mikel Obi - Worth it?" and started complaining.

I have said it before and I will say it again. Do not take what you read on NL on face
value. Do not even accept what other commenters say as fact. Do your own independent
analysis and arrive at your own conclusion. A few days ago, thousands of people on NL
read that a spokesman said the constitution prevents GEJ from saying "Amen" after a
prayer. Quite a large number of commenters believed this true and were raving mad about
it even after it was proven to be a joke. That's NL for you.
Re: Nat. Assembly To Honour Mikel Obi - Worth It? by Jyde89: 8:38pm On Jun 11, 2012
BizBooks: He is being honoured by a committee not the entire National Assembly. The first paragraph
clearly states: "the House of Representative Committee on Sports will honour holidaying
Nigerian international, John Mikel Obi
". But if you read only the topic of the post,
you will not get the full picture.

What else do you expect from a committee on Sports. In my opinion, their proposal is right
proper.
we expect them to solve the numerous problems in the 9gerian football federation and football league,create a platform were Nigerian football lengends will be honored and well taking care of. And since their job is to oversee the affiers of sport in the country,i believe ailing sports like everyother sport's in Nigeria apart from football should be resurected,instead of spending hard earnd tax payers money on unpatriotic citizen's like mikel who as'nt earnd the right to be honored.
Re: Nat. Assembly To Honour Mikel Obi - Worth It? by rman: 8:46pm On Jun 11, 2012
BizBooks:

So what do you want the Committee on Sports to be doing? By their very composition, they
are only concerned with Sports matters. If that is too trivial at this time, perhaps we
should be calling for a dissolution of that committee instead of heaping blames on them
for performing functions that fall within their purview.

- It is a committee on sports and not football. A lot of Nigerians in other sports have done well representing the country this year.
FYI our national basketball team still has a chance to make the olympics if they do well in the qualifiers coming up in Venezuela soon.

The point I am trying to make is, they need to look inward, a lot still has to be done concerning sports in Nigeria. Honouring a player for a trophies won playing for a foreign club makes no sense.

You will be amazed if you go to the national stadium in Lagos and hear stories from associations that could not attend international events in Africa due to lack of funds. What is this committe doing about such cases?

If they truly know what they are there for, this Mikel idea would not even cross their minds.
Re: Nat. Assembly To Honour Mikel Obi - Worth It? by Csami(m): 8:51pm On Jun 11, 2012
E be lyk say this country dey sweet God so if not him for don do something about this country.......dem wan give am GCON...i dey laff 4 uefa.
Re: Nat. Assembly To Honour Mikel Obi - Worth It? by BizBooks(m): 8:56pm On Jun 11, 2012
In the early 90s, Nigeria had an information minister named Prof Uche Chukwumerije (the
same Prof Chukwumerije that later became a senator). He woke up one day and started
patrolling the markets in Lagos, telling market men and women that their prices were
too high. If I'm not mistaken, he even suggested that the government will introduce
price controls if prices do not come down.

Now, in trying to bring down the price of goods, Prof Chukwumerije obviously had good
intentions. But the problem is that he was the Minister of Information, not Commerce. So
back then, everybody was asking "What concerns Uche Chukwumerije with the price of goods?".

To tie this back to the topic of discussion, everybody is now complaining that the
Committee on Sports at NASS is honouring Mikel Obi and over-looking the myriad problems
of Nigeria. Now, If you wake up tomorrow and hear that the Committee on Sports at NASS
has set up a panel to look into the Dana Air Disaster or that they are looking into the
price of fuel, what will you say? You will most likely say "That is none of their business".

This also reminds me of what happened in the Travel section of NL sometime ago. Somebody
was explaining how he was planning a trip to several countries in Europe. Another person
said "Why are you telling us? We don't want to know" forgetting that he was in the Travel
section which is all about Travel. So if the Committee on Sports is honouring an athlete
for an achievement, do not complain. That is part of their duty. I know if Mikel Obi was
an Arsenal player, you will not be hearing all these complaints.
Re: Nat. Assembly To Honour Mikel Obi - Worth It? by Acelifted: 8:57pm On Jun 11, 2012
NONSENSE!
Re: Nat. Assembly To Honour Mikel Obi - Worth It? by Nobody: 9:11pm On Jun 11, 2012
Guyz...reason...d national assembly has d right to honour nigerians who have made us proud...mikel has shown dat we r a good people great nation...he deserved d honour...ask urself..what hav u.uu..uuu don for ur fatherland......rather than sit down here to envy a successful yung man

1 Like

Re: Nat. Assembly To Honour Mikel Obi - Worth It? by dayokanu(m): 9:15pm On Jun 11, 2012
LOL @ naija
Re: Nat. Assembly To Honour Mikel Obi - Worth It? by Nobody: 9:32pm On Jun 11, 2012
torres2: Still expecting them to set up a committee on uefa and epl award matter mtchew.
And a committee to know why chelsea didn't win the league. Bunch of clowns.
Re: Nat. Assembly To Honour Mikel Obi - Worth It? by dohyn(m): 9:33pm On Jun 11, 2012
This is just sick!!!there's no justifiable reason for this honour..countless sportmen and women have done way past what mikel did for chelsea and with patriotism too,yet nothing was done to honour them.I was praying that chelsea would win just so I'd see mikel wrap the Nigerian flag round his shoulders,proclaiming to the world that he's a Nigerian.That's the kind of positive message the world needed to know about Nigeria.Millions of dollars in adverts couldn't have achieved what mikel would have done for the image of the country.But no,not mikel.it's his choice quite alright to do so or not and he chose not too.Mikel has no patriotic bone in his body and as such,it's my humble submission that he is not deserving of this honour..anyways,like someone rightly said;God,what have we done to deserve leaders like this?
Re: Nat. Assembly To Honour Mikel Obi - Worth It? by Nobody: 9:35pm On Jun 11, 2012
these guys are just jobless
Re: Nat. Assembly To Honour Mikel Obi - Worth It? by Delafruita(m): 9:37pm On Jun 11, 2012
BizBooks: In the early 90s, Nigeria had an information minister named Prof Uche Chukwumerije (the
same Prof Chukwumerije that later became a senator). He woke up one day and started
patrolling the markets in Lagos, telling market men and women that their prices were
too high. If I'm not mistaken, he even suggested that the government will introduce
price controls if prices do not come down.

Now, in trying to bring down the price of goods, Prof Chukwumerije obviously had good
intentions. But the problem is that he was the Minister of Information, not Commerce. So
back then, everybody was asking "What concerns Uche Chukwumerije with the price of goods?".

To tie this back to the topic of discussion, everybody is now complaining that the
Committee on Sports at NASS is honouring Mikel Obi and over-looking the myriad problems
of Nigeria. Now, If you wake up tomorrow and hear that the Committee on Sports at NASS
has set up a panel to look into the Dana Air Disaster or that they are looking into the
price of fuel, what will you say? You will most likely say "That is none of their business".

This also reminds me of what happened in the Travel section of NL sometime ago. Somebody
was explaining how he was planning a trip to several countries in Europe. Another person
said "Why are you telling us? We don't want to know" forgetting that he was in the Travel
section which is all about Travel. So if the Committee on Sports is honouring an athlete
for an achievement, do not complain. That is part of their duty. I know if Mikel Obi was
an Arsenal player, you will not be hearing all these complaints.

you are either an ediot of gargantuan proportion or an ignorant bye-product of an etremely degraded educational system.whats the meaning of all the nonsense you spewed?lemme educate you a little.the committee on sports doesnt exist as an arm of government.its not an NGO neither is it a limited liability company.it is a committee that consists people that are funded,fed,clothed,housed with our tax naira.the money the committee spends comes from the national assemble budget which comes from our tax naira.the committee was constituted by the leadership of the national assembly to oversee sports administration hence any action it takes is on behalf of the national assembly.the committee has to make its recommendation to the committee of a whole before taking any step unless of course in cases where the system has been so bastardised that the committee decides to honour a man for winning a soccer competition.why dont they also honour utaka for winning league with montpellier,yobo for winning with fernebache,taiwo for escaping relegation with QPR andthen cross the border to honour micheal essien?sunshine stars performed very well at the last confederations cup,why werent they honoured?at least those are the kinda guys we can say make us proud.guy i dey beg you,no make any more ediotic comments so i no go smash my new evo
Re: Nat. Assembly To Honour Mikel Obi - Worth It? by azimibraun: 9:48pm On Jun 11, 2012
In dat case, Ivory coast will declare a Drogba Holiday. Chikena!

1 Like

Re: Nat. Assembly To Honour Mikel Obi - Worth It? by gentleoyink: 9:49pm On Jun 11, 2012
Hehehe. Abeg make one person come blame GEJ for here so that we go know say e don complete.

Niaja, una to much. Mikel you fit still tell them say 'to hell....go fix naija league'
Re: Nat. Assembly To Honour Mikel Obi - Worth It? by musty1987(m): 9:49pm On Jun 11, 2012
whether it is the whole nat. assembly or only sport committe, the truth is that they are mad , insane and sick undecided
whille would they want to do such thing when we av important and pressing matter to attend to
infact national assembly is a disgrace to naija cry
Re: Nat. Assembly To Honour Mikel Obi - Worth It? by Delafruita(m): 9:49pm On Jun 11, 2012
soe: Guyz...reason...d national assembly has d right to honour nigerians who have made us proud...mikel has shown dat we r a good people great nation...he deserved d honour...ask urself..what hav u.uu..uuu don for ur fatherland......rather than sit down here to envy a successful yung man
e be like say the white matter for your brain don turn to akamu na why you dey post nonsense.mikel did not make me proud.he didnt make nigeria proud.you wanna know people that make their countries proud?peeps who will always be ready to identify with their country.i will always love papilo for that.not only is he exemplary in his potrayal of his nigerian-ness,he takes advantage of his heart foundation to organise charity marches in which renowned stars perform and guess what,nigeria's flag is always hoisted at such games.papilo has used his talent to help out a lot of families through his foundation which has been recognized by FIFA,UNICEF,WHO and the UN.all these organizations named him ambassador.emmanuel adebayor refused a paycut from tottenham because in his words "he has a lot of developmental projects back in togo that will be affected by a pay cut" samuel eto'o has done so much for his country so had didier drogba,kanoute, and others.mikel is the 8th highest earning african footballer,how has he impacted on his community?
Re: Nat. Assembly To Honour Mikel Obi - Worth It? by Delafruita(m): 9:50pm On Jun 11, 2012
soe: Guyz...reason...d national assembly has d right to honour nigerians who have made us proud...mikel has shown dat we r a good people great nation...he deserved d honour...ask urself..what hav u.uu..uuu don for ur fatherland......rather than sit down here to envy a successful yung man
e be like say the white matter for your brain don turn to akamu na why you dey post nonsense.mikel did not make me proud.he didnt make nigeria proud.you wanna know people that make their countries proud?peeps who will always be ready to identify with their country.i will always love papilo for that.not only is he exemplary in his potrayal of his nigerian-ness,he takes advantage of his heart foundation to organise charity marches in which renowned stars perform and guess what,nigeria's flag is always hoisted at such games.papilo has used his talent to help out a lot of families through his foundation which has been recognized by FIFA,UNICEF,WHO and the UN.all these organizations named him ambassador.emmanuel adebayor refused a paycut from tottenham because in his words "he has a lot of developmental projects back in togo that will be affected by a pay cut" samuel eto'o has done so much for his country so had didier drogba,kanoute, and others.mikel is the 8th highest earning african footballer,how has he impacted on his community?
Re: Nat. Assembly To Honour Mikel Obi - Worth It? by sylve11: 9:54pm On Jun 11, 2012
Lol, wetin we nor go see or hear for this country? grin grin cool
Re: Nat. Assembly To Honour Mikel Obi - Worth It? by BizBooks(m): 10:07pm On Jun 11, 2012
Delafruita:
why dont they also honour utaka for winning league with montpellier,yobo for winning with fernebache,taiwo for escaping relegation with QPR

I usually ignore people like you that take pride in insulting others. But I will make an
exception this time. Mikel Obi has won the EPL and FA cup with Chelsea multiple times in
the past. On none of those occasions was he honoured by an arm of the NASS as far as I can
remember. So you are completely out of line in comparing the Champions League trophy with
some league trophy in France or Turkey.

With the volumes you wrote, you still did not explain what the duties of the Sports
Committee of NASS should be. If honouring a deserving athlete is not part of it, I
will like you to tell us what they are.
Re: Nat. Assembly To Honour Mikel Obi - Worth It? by tit(f): 10:17pm On Jun 11, 2012
They should allow the boy to 'play' Speaker of the House for a day or two!
Re: Nat. Assembly To Honour Mikel Obi - Worth It? by AndreUweh(m): 10:23pm On Jun 11, 2012
Good idea but it should be Michael Obi's state or local council in Nigeria doing that.
Re: Nat. Assembly To Honour Mikel Obi - Worth It? by toluxe0075: 10:24pm On Jun 11, 2012
Datz d most ever foolish decision ever made...dis show are government are more interested in european ligue than our own ligue..he didn't win africa best o..if mikel should be given award den they are encouraging our home base to move to europe...walahi they are planning to kill our ligue
Re: Nat. Assembly To Honour Mikel Obi - Worth It? by herquleez(m): 10:33pm On Jun 11, 2012
useless fools...God punish them for the sense wey dem no get...they'll burn in hell. Stupid, mad, idiotic bunch of potbellied thieves...why I be Nigerian sef...dumb assholes
Re: Nat. Assembly To Honour Mikel Obi - Worth It? by toluxe0075: 10:45pm On Jun 11, 2012
babeface3: I think this is very proper; its another way of encouraging sportsmanship; if there are other ways (I know there are, but this one is not out of place) you think the committee should be doing this, suggest it, not crying wolf for nothing. We complain a lot!
dat means if mikel was eto when he was in barca when he won 6 trophies 2008/2009 season(in evry competition he participate) a public holiday would have been declared..i can't believe as many as they are in d assembly they are as foolish as anything..itz shameful
Re: Nat. Assembly To Honour Mikel Obi - Worth It? by DrDre1(m): 10:57pm On Jun 11, 2012
NASS is a huge joke. There are more pressing issues on ground for the sports committee to get busy with rather than this rubbish. Before we know it now, we may start hearing all sorts of weird stories on how these legislooters tried to get something out of the Roman Abramonvic bonus
Re: Nat. Assembly To Honour Mikel Obi - Worth It? by Ify2excel: 11:00pm On Jun 11, 2012
If they cud honour Mikel dat didn't score a single goal or made any useful assist during d entire UCL season, i wonder how they have honoured him if he were Drogba. Probably they wud have named d Abuja national stadium after him. If he were Etoo, they wud have made him a life time minister 4 sports. Mtscheeew. Yeye people.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Ezenwata Emeka Shares Photos Of His Awards / Brazil Vs Japan - Confederations Cup - (3 - 0) On 15th June 2013 / Nigeria Vs Corsica International Friendly May 26 2017

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 77
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.