Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,692 members, 7,816,828 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 06:10 PM

Dna Test Confirms I'm One Of You - Culture (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Dna Test Confirms I'm One Of You (10750 Views)

Egyptian DNA Tests / Its Official, Igbos Can No Longer Claim To Have Some Isreali DNA :) / Dna Test Confirms I Share 87% Nigerian Dna 84% Yoruba. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Dna Test Confirms I'm One Of You by Nobody: 11:46pm On Jun 21, 2012
Ileke-IdI:

ashewo oshi

I'm trying to marry my beautiful dark skin Yoruba beauty into the Yoruba culture.. What's wrong with that? undecided

1 Like

Re: Dna Test Confirms I'm One Of You by queensmith: 11:47pm On Jun 21, 2012
shymmex:

What are you on about? That was what her DNA showed!!

please take the time to read and assimilate what i wrote very carefully, the post was meant to point out the fact that it's not possible for DNA to show such, however if you have information that can shed more light on things I will be more than happy to entertain you??
Re: Dna Test Confirms I'm One Of You by buzzedoffbeauty(f): 11:48pm On Jun 21, 2012
Ileke-IdI:

Most of these tests are scams. I read about the process a while ago, and most of them usually end up Yoruba. Makes me wonder. . . . how factual are the test? undecided

The test traces midoncondrial dna which stays the same from mother to daugther and from father to son this is how it's done. Due to the fact that the white man drew the lines in Africa they tell us what the land is present day. They actuall go to villages and swab thousands of natives ( natives meaning the people have been there for thousands of years). For example your village has a history which traces backs furthur than you may be able to imagine and it has stand that way even before Chirst. They don't go to big cities like lagos where there is a variety of mixtures. I know at one point nigeria wasn't one...it was several different tribes who where force under one name. This is why they can not tell us what village we belong to. Actually most results I've come across are cameroon and guine bissau ( sorry it's mispelled). Although I was told that I received two tribes, I believe it was one tribe who may have separated but I am not a scientist to make such speculations. I look at yoruba people here in Dallas and I have that short thick body make up as well. It's not a scam, many unrelated scientist perform the same test. No one wants their reputation to be destroyed in such a scam. This company started more than twenty years ago and it was due to many blacks taking an "admixture test" and only seeing that they were of AfricanDescent but not being able to know from what part. Thank you for contributing to this post... smiley
Re: Dna Test Confirms I'm One Of You by Nobody: 11:50pm On Jun 21, 2012
queensmith:

please take the time to read and assimilate what i wrote very carefully, the post was meant to point out the fact that it's not possible for DNA to show such, however if you have information that can shed more light on things I will be more than happy to entertain you??

This article from The Roots provides the answers you need: http://www.theroot.com/views/tracing-dna-not-just-africa-one-tribe
Re: Dna Test Confirms I'm One Of You by Nobody: 11:56pm On Jun 21, 2012
I had to go back to the first page, and read the thread again - and it's just sad how tribalism has destroyed Nigeria... The earlier everyone form their own country, the better for everyone..

There is too much hatred, and jealousy in that country. undecided
Re: Dna Test Confirms I'm One Of You by queensmith: 12:00am On Jun 22, 2012
buzzedoffbeauty:

The test traces midoncondrial dna which stays the same from mother to daugther and from father to son this is how it's done. Due to the fact that the white man drew the lines in Africa they tell us what the land is present day. They actuall go to villages and swab thousands of natives ( natives meaning the people have been there for thousands of years). For example your village has a history which traces backs furthur than you may be able to imagine and it has stand that way even before Chirst. They don't go to big cities like lagos where there is a variety of mixtures. I know at one point nigeria wasn't one...it was several different tribes who where force under one name. This is why they can not tell us what village we belong to. Actually most results I've come across are cameroon and guine bissau ( sorry it's mispelled). Although I was told that I received two tribes, I believe it was one tribe who may have separated but I am not a scientist to make such speculations. I look at yoruba people here in Dallas and I have that short thick body make up as well. It's not a scam, many unrelated scientist perform the same test. No one wants their reputation to be destroyed in such a scam. This company started more than twenty years ago and it was due to many blacks taking an "admixture test" and only seeing that they were of AfricanDescent but not being able to know from what part. Thank you for contributing to this post... smiley

Thank you, this certainly does shed a little more light on things since mrna is highly conserved, however I'm not sure about the 1000s of natives (or if such actions are even legal or ethical in these modern times) and it doesn't explain what will happen in the case of someone that comes from 150 different countries due to interbreeding.
I'm highly skeptical about the whole thing.
Re: Dna Test Confirms I'm One Of You by Nobody: 12:03am On Jun 22, 2012
buzzedoffbeauty:

Thank you, please do not confuse my question with displeasure. I'm happy to welcome you into our Yoruba family.

But I've never heard of these ppl coming into our "villages" to take samples and to analyze them. How does that process go?
Re: Dna Test Confirms I'm One Of You by tpia5: 4:33am On Jun 22, 2012
I look at yoruba people here in Dallas and I have that short thick body make up as well.

Re: Dna Test Confirms I'm One Of You by tpia5: 4:35am On Jun 22, 2012
anyway!!!

the tests or results arent set in stone.

do it elsewhere- you may be surprised to see different results.

even white people get varying readings depending on the locale.

its all subjective but if you want somewhere to attach to, ask anyone here for their hometown so you can identify with that.
Re: Dna Test Confirms I'm One Of You by buzzedoffbeauty(f): 9:15am On Jun 22, 2012
tpia@:
anyway!!!

the tests or results arent set in stone.

do it elsewhere- you may be surprised to see different results.

even white people get varying readings depending on the locale.

its all subjective but if you want somewhere to attach to, ask anyone here for their hometown so you can identify with that.

hmmm....... ok thank you love!
Re: Dna Test Confirms I'm One Of You by buzzedoffbeauty(f): 9:20am On Jun 22, 2012
tpia@:

most I know aren't tall, that doesn't speak for all of course. All I know are thick...doesn't mean fat. I'm heavier than most my age but I h smiley smileyave had a child before. You know what, when I went to Lagos most weren't the size as the ones I see in the states so...never mind...
Re: Dna Test Confirms I'm One Of You by ckkris: 10:21am On Jun 22, 2012
Why are moderators not hiding irresponsible posts? It seems the owners of Nairaland encourage uncouth altercations that increase e-traffic, and make more dollars. But this attitude doesn't survive the Nigerian environment. British colonial management have records to confirm this.
Re: Dna Test Confirms I'm One Of You by ckkris: 10:23am On Jun 22, 2012
Why are moderators not hiding irresponsible posts? It seems the owners of Nairaland encourage uncouth altercations that increase e-traffic, and make more dollars. But this attitude doesn't survive the Nigerian environment. British colonial management have records to confirm this.
Re: Dna Test Confirms I'm One Of You by DaRapture: 3:04pm On Jun 22, 2012
queensmith:

Thank you, this certainly does shed a little more light on things since mrna is highly conserved, however I'm not sure about the 1000s of natives (or if such actions are even legal or ethical in these modern times) and it doesn't explain what will happen in the case of someone that comes from 150 different countries due to interbreeding.
I'm highly skeptical about the whole thing.

How is it not ethical?
Re: Dna Test Confirms I'm One Of You by queensmith: 8:24pm On Jun 22, 2012
DaRapture:

How is it not ethical?

for one it will violate their privacy rights, sharing their genetic information between these scam agencies?
Re: Dna Test Confirms I'm One Of You by buzzedoffbeauty(f): 5:33am On Jul 01, 2012
ckkris: Why are moderators not hiding irresponsible posts? It seems the owners of Nairaland encourage uncouth altercations that increase e-traffic, and make more dollars. But this attitude doesn't survive the Nigerian environment. British colonial management have records to confirm this.

I'm sorry I don't understand what you mean...does my posting offend you?
Re: Dna Test Confirms I'm One Of You by buzzedoffbeauty(f): 10:28am On Jul 01, 2012
taharqa: Some of u guys disgust me. A lady takes the time to write to us about her excitement on finding out her possible ancestry(something obviously important to her)and seeking assurances and wanting to understand dat part of herself, and you guys turn it into an ethnic baiting thread, that not only ignored her and her primary concerns but even in a sense trying to pass subtle insults here or there. Once again,it such a shame nd reflects poorly on us(another case of a few ppl giving us bad names i guess)...@OP dear.i share your excitements and ask you to disregard some of the few silly posts here(you know this is a public forum) and i join most of the other posters to WELCOME you to the Nigerian family. Nigerians are smart, hard-working,fun lovin and as you can see here, very talkative but confident ppl(na only political leadership na im be de big wahala-oh! by the way you would have to learn Pigin English as you learn Yoruba). Once again welcome.

Thank you very much, it's much appreciated... ;-)
Re: Dna Test Confirms I'm One Of You by Nobody: 7:00am On Jul 03, 2012
tpia@:

Aren't you 'short & thick'? grin
Re: Dna Test Confirms I'm One Of You by OneNaira6: 7:50am On Jul 03, 2012
queensmith:

for one it will violate their privacy rights, sharing their genetic information between these scam agencies?

They are not scam agencies. I fear I might have given you an incorrect description of the agencies. Many of the African heritage and other DNA agencies are doing interesting stuff with a person's DNA that is beneficial to the said person therefore they are not taking their money and giving them crap in return. Yes, I do agree discovering someone's specific ethnic group is rather a hard task, almost impossible if you ask me, but I feel the reason behind it is to help African diaspora. Many of whom are lost. It is neither harmful nor a way to steal from their customers but rather they are giving them a place to belong. That is how I always viewed it. Plus if you think about it, they not only tell you what African ethnic group, etc. you descended from but they also inform their participants of potential diseases/old age problems in your near future, carrier status, ancestry painting, etc. Some DNA agencies can even trace your lost relative based on their participants an example would be 23andme. Some agencies actually use acquired DNAs to find cures for potential risks of a community. It is not a fraud at all; they doing many positive things with the DNAs.
Re: Dna Test Confirms I'm One Of You by OneNaira6: 7:50am On Jul 03, 2012
queensmith:

double post
Re: Dna Test Confirms I'm One Of You by OneNaira6: 8:11am On Jul 03, 2012
buzzedoffbeauty:

Mtdna isn't passed from father to son; the Y-dna is the only thing passed down from father to son. I cannot trace my mt-dna without involving my mother, sister, aunt, etc the same way you cannot trace your Y-dna without involving your father, brother, etc. As for the story, that's what got me puzzled for a very long time. How are they able to point a DNA painting to a specific ethnic group despite the same DNA painting is found in other ethnic groups and people within the ethnic group DNA differentiate. I'm still trying to grasp how is that possible but then again I'm still studying genetics so the answers might be in the near future.
Re: Dna Test Confirms I'm One Of You by buzzedoffbeauty(f): 8:51am On Jul 03, 2012
One_Naira:

Mtdna isn't passed from father to son; the Y-dna is the only thing passed down from father to son. I cannot trace my mt-dna without involving my mother, sister, aunt, etc the same way you cannot trace your Y-dna without involving your father, brother, etc. As for the story, that's what got me puzzled for a very long time. How are they able to point a DNA painting to a specific ethnic group despite the same DNA painting is found in other ethnic groups and people within the ethnic group DNA differentiate. I'm still trying to grasp how is that possible but then again I'm still studying genetics so the answers might be in the near future.

Wow you're studying genetics...you must be brilliant! I'm sure you will come across the answer to that in time.
Re: Dna Test Confirms I'm One Of You by Nobody: 3:25am On Sep 10, 2012
interesting.

i plan on taking my test sometime soon as well. smiley
Re: Dna Test Confirms I'm One Of You by Nobody: 3:27am On Sep 10, 2012
One_Naira:

they compare samples from people belonging to various tribes and compare them to blacks in the diaspora. i think they can only go back 6 generations though.
Re: Dna Test Confirms I'm One Of You by Nobody: 3:27am On Sep 10, 2012
Re: Dna Test Confirms I'm One Of You by Nobody: 3:36am On Sep 10, 2012
Re: Dna Test Confirms I'm One Of You by Afam4eva(m): 8:11pm On Sep 10, 2012
^^ Why weren't they told the exact ethnic group that their ancestors came from.
Re: Dna Test Confirms I'm One Of You by MrsChima1(f): 8:17pm On Sep 10, 2012
tpia@:
your mama
grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin

I had to laughed on this one.
Re: Dna Test Confirms I'm One Of You by MrsChima1(f): 8:21pm On Sep 10, 2012
queensmith: Has anybody studied genetics can they explain how this thing works to me? I hate to be such a skeptic but it sounds too much like a scam, how is someone going to know where they are from through dna? Especially since its highly unlikey the generations before that person didn't breed with people of like origin.

I agree with that...DNA testing without the source is a bit suspect to me but hey! I have no interest in purchasing any testing of any kind to affirm anything.

It won't change the rate of HIV/AIDS nor it won't change the price of garri! My husband been complaining for the last couple of weeks with the pricing because he orders it directly from Africa.
Re: Dna Test Confirms I'm One Of You by MrsChima1(f): 8:36pm On Sep 10, 2012
queensmith:

lol- it makes sense. Even with plain thinking, ever since I heard Oprah discovered she was from a royal family in Nigeria I was suspicious. No1, did they test all the remaining families in Nigeria and just happen to stumble across the one that just happens to be related to Oprah Winfrey? Smelly Fish,

no2, there is no 'black gene' talkless of 'african gene' talkless of 'nigerian gene' or 'yoruba gene' so I've been wondering how on earth they come up with their conclusions, what areas are they mapping? are they just doing random comparisons? will that not make everybody related to everybody?

That to one side, lets even imagine they have a database of every single family and tribe in africa + there is confirmed existence of a 'black' or 'nigerian' or even 'yoruba gene'. African Americans have been there African Americans have existed for over 400 years now. It's safe to assume cultural ties have probably been broken for a 3rd of it and there has been interbreeding with both the whites and between people from different parts of subsaharan africa. How can a descendant of this now come out 100% yoruba? It's bloody senseless!!

It was said that she was of Liberian descent.
Re: Dna Test Confirms I'm One Of You by Nobody: 10:12pm On Sep 10, 2012
afam4eva: ^^ Why weren't they told the exact ethnic group that their ancestors came from.

they were.

i guess the video didn't want to be technical but with your results you get the tribe, country, brochures stating the facts about their tribe and nation's history, a flag of the country; etc. smiley

Some countries like cameroon and ghana actually honor the "certificates of citizenship" that are also given. kinda cool. smiley

I sooo can't wait.

I am going to get my maternal and paternal results.
I also want to see my racial make up as well (separate test) just for confirmation.

One Jamo guy found out his ancestry was in the Arab peninsula! How weird is that?! grin
Re: Dna Test Confirms I'm One Of You by Nobody: 10:15pm On Sep 10, 2012
Mrs..Chima:

It was said that she was of Liberian descent.

yeah lol this whole time she spent BUKU money and time in south africa,
convinced that was her homeland. I heard she was disappointed when her results read "Liberia". grin grin

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

The Untold Story Of Ogedengbe Agbogungboro Of Ijesha Land 1822-1910. Wars And Ge / Join If You Are Proud To Be Hausa/fulani.. / Coining New Igbo Terminology For The Modern Day

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 94
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.