Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,753 members, 7,820,599 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 05:56 PM

Will You Marry An Atheist? - Religion (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Will You Marry An Atheist? (28082 Views)

Can U Marry An Atheist??? / How Can You Prove To An Atheist That God Exists? / Seun Kuti Is Happy, He Is An Atheist (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (16) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Will You Marry An Atheist? by Nobody: 1:16am On Jun 13, 2012
Getting married an atheist is less problematic than getting married to a person of a different religion. Atheists are generally not threatened by other religions so they wouldn't have problems with their kids being educated according to a religious doctrine, because they believe that in due time, the child would grow up to choose their own path.

A lot of atheists grew up in religious homes and their parents were religious freaks or they were religious freaks themselves but they still found themselves refusing all religious doctrines at last.

10 Likes

Re: Will You Marry An Atheist? by Nobody: 1:24am On Jun 13, 2012
no.
Re: Will You Marry An Atheist? by ZUBY77(m): 5:42am On Jun 13, 2012
michelin89: Getting married an atheist is less problematic than getting married to a person of a different religion. Atheists are generally not threatened by other religions so they wouldn't have problems with their kids being educated according to a religious doctrine, because they believe that in due time, the child would grow up to choose their own path.

A lot of atheists grew up in religious homes and their parents were religious freaks or they were religious freaks themselves but they still found themselves refusing all religious doctrines at last.

Clever post.
Re: Will You Marry An Atheist? by cowgurl: 6:51am On Jun 13, 2012
michelin89: Getting married to an atheist is less problematic than getting married to a person of a different religion. Atheists are generally not threatened by other religions so they wouldn't have problems with their kids being educated according to a religious doctrine because they believe that in due time, the child would grow up to choose their own path.

Re: Will You Marry An Atheist? by cowgurl: 7:05am On Jun 13, 2012
cowgurl:

You've indeed written well Michelin.
You see, 'v met Logic Mind on here before now and the emboldened text do not apply to him, regardles of d fact that he ain't threatened by them o'course that he did let me know but I do have a strong notch he'l be bothered about his kids being taught the christian way of life.
So now lemme ask, what happens if his kind falls for some Christian fanatic? Would she be allowed to believe in God?
Believe me, it's best for this particular atheist to get married to his kind cos I smell doom if he doesn't!
Re: Will You Marry An Atheist? by Mynd44: 7:10am On Jun 13, 2012
I have no problem with religion. Infact I can marry anyone regardless of their religion as long as their personal character is something I can live with
Re: Will You Marry An Atheist? by Thugnificent(m): 7:19am On Jun 13, 2012
foyeks2001: my bible tells me that '' do not be equally yoked with unbelievers'' meaning d suppose partner can as well influences ur faith in God be it positively or negatively....but always good to be on a safer side....so it is a capital NO for me
So if Mark Zuckerberg (a well known atheist) with a current net worth of over $15 billion proposes to you, will you still remember dat ur bible?

3 Likes

Re: Will You Marry An Atheist? by Thugnificent(m): 7:30am On Jun 13, 2012
michelin89: Getting married an atheist is less problematic than getting married to a person of a different religion. Atheists are generally not threatened by other religions so they wouldn't have problems with their kids being educated according to a religious doctrine, because they believe that in due time, the child would grow up to choose their own path.

GBAM!
Re: Will You Marry An Atheist? by cowgurl: 7:33am On Jun 13, 2012
Mynd_44: I have no problem with religion. Infact I can marry anyone regardless of their religion as long as their personal character is something I can live with
Am happy for you Mynd, sure am!
Re: Will You Marry An Atheist? by fubbyy(m): 8:18am On Jun 13, 2012

Nice 1

1 Like

Re: Will You Marry An Atheist? by Mynd44: 9:56am On Jun 13, 2012
cowgurl:
Am happy for you Mynd, sure am!
Re: Will You Marry An Atheist? by Nobody: 12:14pm On Jun 13, 2012
cowgurl:
You've indeed written well Michelin.
You see, 'v met Logic Mind on here before
now and the emboldened text do not
apply to him, regardles of d fact that he
ain't threatened by them o'course that he
did let me know but I do have a strong
notch he'l be bothered about his kids
being taught the christian way of life.
So now lemme ask, what happens if his
kind falls for some Christian fanatic?
Would she be allowed to believe in God?
Believe me, it's best for this particular
atheist to get married to his kind cos I
smell doom if he doesn't!

Atheists in life are reserved and tolerant. they don't talk about their non belief unless they are questioned. unlike what happens on Nairaland, atheists hardly initiate religious debate because they know the implication of starting something that will never end. if the kids choose religion fine, as long as they don't become obnoxious and hypocrites because that's something atheists don't tolerate in religious people. if you can't respect and follow the doctrine, why choose it?
Re: Will You Marry An Atheist? by queensmith: 12:22pm On Jun 13, 2012
I will actually prefer an atheist to a bible thumper- one thing i learnt about africans is that you are told what to do and what to be like, but you are never told why. Nothing follows a logical thought process, just a habit of following tradition and religion in a blind manner.
Re: Will You Marry An Atheist? by coolzeal(m): 2:44pm On Jun 13, 2012
Ehh, this is marriage oooh and if she makes me happy and all that, why not..
Re: Will You Marry An Atheist? by Mynd44: 5:25pm On Jun 13, 2012
^^
Re: Will You Marry An Atheist? by cowgurl: 6:04pm On Jun 13, 2012
michelin89:
Atheists in life are reserved and tolerant. they don't talk about their non belief unless they are questioned. unlike what happens on Nairaland, atheists hardly initiate religious debate because they know the implication of starting something that will never end. if the kids choose religion fine, as long as they don't become obnoxious and hypocrites because that's something atheists don't tolerate in religious people. if you can't respect and follow the doctrine, why choose it?
Yeah, the Whys and the hypocritical ilks, they are always present in every facets of life. I for one detest hypocrisy, I mean why should any one preach what they do not practice? Sad thing is, majority of folks are found wanting in this, and most times I wonder if we will ever get to that point. Once again Michelin, you've spoken well. @ Logic mind, I stil await your answer in all of my posts on here.
Re: Will You Marry An Atheist? by Nobody: 6:29pm On Jun 13, 2012
Nope, my religion forbids me to. sad
But if he's very intelligent though, i'll pray that the Holy spirit touches his heart and invite him to all the church services i can think of. sad sad
Re: Will You Marry An Atheist? by Nobody: 7:42pm On Jun 13, 2012
Shollypopz: Nope, my religion forbids me to. sad
But if he's very intelligent though, i'll pray that the Holy spirit touches his heart and invite him to all the church services i can think of. sad sad

hmmm...so intelligence turns u on. Little wonder! cool

1 Like

Re: Will You Marry An Atheist? by luckgames(m): 8:25pm On Jun 13, 2012
What about marring people that go to church that are very evil?
Secretive, liar and cheat
Keep information
I will take Atheist over evil church goers
Re: Will You Marry An Atheist? by LogicMind: 11:28pm On Jun 13, 2012
fluid26:

grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Will You Marry An Atheist? by LogicMind: 11:36pm On Jun 13, 2012
cowgurl: .

And as such we should'nt put them into consideration before getting married? Are u kidding me? Or that statement of yours only applies to this issue, which would be hilarious.
Listen, it's more like you knowing your girl is having same genotype as you (AS) and you both still went ahead in tying the damn knots without thinking how that decision of yours is gonna affect ur kids, it's totally ridiculous!

You see, genotype doesn't change. A church going good christian husband could end up atheist after years of marriage and childbearing. Please compare comparables.

cowgurl:
Yes! It's no guarantee cos kids nowadays mingle with all manner of folks and get influenced in one way or the other. We've not even seen the last of this many religions yet, more are still upcoming I tell ya.

All am saying is simple, it's advisable to get married to your faith QED!

As I said before, faith is not constant. It is good for children to mingle and get knowledge.
Intolerant attitude like yours will surely drive your family to atheism. (husband and children)
Re: Will You Marry An Atheist? by Nobody: 12:41am On Jun 14, 2012
fluid26:

what's this suppose to mean
@Logic Mind:
what's funny
Re: Will You Marry An Atheist? by Nobody: 2:33am On Jun 14, 2012
Atheists and religious fanatics shouldn't have a problem with eachother, since they're both two sides to the same coin..

One doesn't believe in God - but the other believes in God, but has to go through a boogeyman to get to him/her (I personally think God is a woman, since a woman was the first creation. The Adam and Eve story is bogus). shocked lipsrsealed undecided

Not believing, and the boogeyman makes the both of you the same thing - just different interpretation. undecided

Both are bogus, and foreign to the African mind, where spirituality holds sway.
Re: Will You Marry An Atheist? by AnotherOkija: 2:41am On Jun 14, 2012
Logic Mind: Just wondering with naija girls mentality if a very good, rich, loving, handsome, intelligent, educated fellow fell madly in love with you and you with him but you realise he doesn't believe in any god. Will you still marry him if he proposes?

Dude take it from me... MOST OF THEM WONT...

I am talking from experience... I remember one girl I dated and had fhucked in so many different positions that a normal christian shouldnt even try.. After things started to get serious and she decided to get to know me better and found out that I wasnt a christian, she cried so hard and broke up with me.. I was like WTF!! Bitch you werent even born again?! O well.. Good riddance..

I am engaged today and that is one of the biggest issues I have with my spouse.. I had to promise her to attend church once a month at the minimum for a little peace to reign..
Re: Will You Marry An Atheist? by Nobody: 6:27am On Jun 14, 2012
Another Okija:

Dude take it from me... MOST OF THEM WONT...

I am talking from experience... I remember one girl I dated and had fhucked in so many different positions that a normal christian shouldnt even try.. After things started to get serious and she decided to get to know me better and found out that I wasnt a christian, she cried so hard and broke up with me.. I was like WTF!! Bitch you werent even born again?! O well.. Good riddance..

I am engaged today and that is one of the biggest issues I have with my spouse.. I had to promise her to attend church once a month at the minimum for a little peace to reign..

hmmm...just wondering...are der any such abominable positions? Indulge me grin
Re: Will You Marry An Atheist? by Nobody: 6:53am On Jun 14, 2012
Shollypopz: what's this suppose to mean

Mon ami la petite shollypopz est malade! shocked Sa mere la mere a l'hopital! grin . Le doctor fluid26 examine la petite shollypopz. cool
Re: Will You Marry An Atheist? by Nobody: 7:12am On Jun 14, 2012
michelin89:

There are actually different types of atheists. There are indeed some who proselytize atheism, who take it as a duty to bring others to reason. Such kinds can be unbearable, though. In Nigeria, there'd be asking for trouble. Richard Dawkins is one of such proselytizing atheists, so was Hitchens.
In general, however, most atheists would rather avoid the religion topic. It's more like they know the answers already.
Personally, I can certainly marry an atheist. Why shouldn't I? Being religious makes absolutely no sense. And to add, sometimes, I really am baffled by the way an average Nigerian girl thinks on such issues as this undecided
Re: Will You Marry An Atheist? by Thugnificent(m): 8:19am On Jun 14, 2012
Shollypopz: Nope, my religion forbids me to. sad
yeah right!
Re: Will You Marry An Atheist? by LogicMind: 9:13am On Jun 14, 2012
Shollypopz: what's this suppose to mean
what's funny

Hehehe.
even if i explain it, i'm afraid you would still need an intelligent man to understand it.
cheesy cheesy
Re: Will You Marry An Atheist? by cowgurl: 9:52am On Jun 14, 2012
Logic Mind:
You see, genotype doesn't change. A church going good christian husband could end up atheist after years of marriage and childbearing. Please compare comparables.
As I said before, faith is not constant. It is good for children to mingle and get knowledge.
Intolerant attitude like yours will surely drive your family to atheism. (husband and children)

Finally!
Lmsao @ intolerant attitude grin
Too bad you have a grudge but am gonna pass on reciprocating the gesture cos I like you n above all, am enjoying this e-chat with you.

My final question to you Sir,
Would you marry a christian Lady (not me o' course) and allow her worship her God + train your kids in like manner?
Re: Will You Marry An Atheist? by manmustwac(m): 9:58am On Jun 14, 2012
As an athiest I don't have a problem marrying a Christian or any women of any religion. The problem is usually is that the Christian cannot marry someone who dose not have the same belief system that they were born and bred into. A Christian marrying another Christian is no guarantee of a blissful marriage. Some women do end up marrying wife beaters, hot tempered men, stingy men cheaters etc. And if their relationship or marriage eventually breaks up has it got anything to do with Christianity? So dose marrying a Christian make any difference.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (16) (Reply)

Can Someone Explain 6 To 6 Fasting? / Olumba Obu: 8-year Tenure For Buhari / Orimiri Jordan In Enugu, Heals Mad Man

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 53
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.