Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,134 members, 7,818,414 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 02:51 PM

Will You Marry An Atheist? - Religion (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Will You Marry An Atheist? (28074 Views)

Can U Marry An Atheist??? / How Can You Prove To An Atheist That God Exists? / Seun Kuti Is Happy, He Is An Atheist (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (16) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Will You Marry An Atheist? by Goldieluks: 8:47am On Jun 15, 2012
sauer:
incredibly ludicrous! grin

I don't expect you to agree with the above as it is. Your eyes is
wide open, but your mind and heart is spiritually blind.
May God touch you and change your mind set.
Re: Will You Marry An Atheist? by Nobody: 8:55am On Jun 15, 2012
Goldieluks:

now, that one actually got me cracking.
If only you could find reasons for being a Christian outside of parental influences, I just may believe you. But then, am sure you can't.
Re: Will You Marry An Atheist? by Goldieluks: 9:11am On Jun 15, 2012
sauer:
now, that one actually got me cracking.
If only you could find reasons for being a Christian outside of parental influences, I just may believe you. But then, am sure you can't.

"Train up a child in the way he should go, so that when he's old he/she
will not depart from it"(focusing on a child brought up in a christain home) You should know that every parent influences their
children in different ways. But when these children becomes adult, it is either
they choose the ways which they think/feel they have been missing,or they stick to
the old natural ways they learnt from their parents/parental figure,but then not depriving themselves
from knowing right from wrong obviously.
Re: Will You Marry An Atheist? by Nobody: 9:18am On Jun 15, 2012
Logic Mind:

Haha.
I believe a Mr Intelligence would do you a lot of good.
I'm done here! It's quite apparent that i'm talking to a simpleton! undecided undecided
Re: Will You Marry An Atheist? by queensmith: 9:25am On Jun 15, 2012
sauer:
There are millions of atheists who don't believe any damn thing and just live their lives like it has an end to it!

I don't think most here actually know what an atheist is, thats probably what scares them soo much.
Re: Will You Marry An Atheist? by Nobody: 9:50am On Jun 15, 2012
Goldieluks:

"Train up a child in the way he should go, so that when he's old he/she
will not depart from it"(focusing on a child brought up in a christain home) You should know that every parent influences their
children in different ways. But when these children becomes adult, it is either
they choose the ways which they think/feel they have been missing,or they stick to
the old natural ways they learnt from their parents/parental figure,but then not depriving themselves
from knowing right from wrong obviously.

You are missing the point. An eagle raised among hens will probably never become an eagle again as an adult. Forget that old fable
Okay, the point is, how could you possibly break away from something that's been a comfortable part of you for decades? Though most children break away from their parents' beliefs, many never do. The reasons are not far-fetched. You don't become that free overnight, with no independent thinking of yours. The best scenario would be if parents never involved their children in religious practices, but merely presented them with the facts. When these children become adults, they can then choose for themselves what's best. As it is, you simply have not chosen!
Re: Will You Marry An Atheist? by Nobody: 10:03am On Jun 15, 2012
queensmith:

I don't think most here actually know what an atheist is, thats probably what scares them soo much.
That again is not very fair to knowledge. When people (and most Nigerians I know) hear the word "atheist", their mind just takes flight. What comes to their imagination is better left unsaid
Re: Will You Marry An Atheist? by cowgurl: 10:14am On Jun 15, 2012
Goldieluks:

grin Amen to that prayer. @ Sauer, how long have you been this way and why?
Re: Will You Marry An Atheist? by emofine2(f): 10:16am On Jun 15, 2012
Wow...this topic has taken an interesting turn...

shymmex:

When I said "voodoo" - I meant the sacrifices involved in some African spirituality.. IFA philosophy doesn't deal with sacrifices, and rituals - it's just higher learning about creation, and how to connect to the supreme being directly - it's similar to metaphysics and religion (without the allegories, remixes, and the boogeymen involved in religion). It's a direct connection... I'm still learning about it, and hopefully, I will be able to learn more when I visit ile-ife sometime next year.

I understood what you were implying...it’s just unfortunate...very unfortunate...that an African traditional practice (vodun) has been reduced to a byword for malpractices and other negative connotations and used to summarize (thereby demonizing) other beliefs on the continent including vodun.

Sure there were some extremely deplorable beliefs and practices (as were around the world) but that should not render whole systems as rotten especially considering the background and trajectory of the imported non-innocent faiths they were substituted for. Moreover many including vodun were not even given a fair assessment before premature conclusions were made and such misconception still persists.

By the way Shymmex, are you learning Ifa from the exterior or are you also practicing it whilst you learn? Do you find it to be on a similar philosophical axis as Ancient Greek theology? (I have my reasons for asking)

That was a typo. I believe God definitely has to be a woman (or feminine) because the first creation definitely has to be a woman - and since we were created in his image.

Another typo? tongue grin

sauer: What do you seek to achieve when you say god is a man or a woman, or when you try to stay within the limits logic affords you and claim god has no sex?

Well it seems as if god can be whatever we deem him her to be depending on the individual or society. So many people seeking vindication and validation for their beliefs or esteem through the supposed image of god - this is where polytheism eliminates some bias tongue.

1 Like

Re: Will You Marry An Atheist? by emofine2(f): 10:22am On Jun 15, 2012
queensmith:

Thats a very very good question, was talking about this yesterday. In one of Karl Marx's books (or the other dude i forget) he talks about how in Africa god was was an overweight woman. When the europeans travelled through africa and noticed this they felt insulted and before you know it god now looks like a french whitehaired man. It's weird. I remember thinking that casting morgan freeman as 'god' in the movie bruce almighty was weird, and it's obvious to me now that that was the whole point.
Why is god envisioned as a european white man instead of a black woman? Since the middle class white man is at the top of the social hierarchical scale it's very possible that the whole idea of god is just an imaginative form of our real lives. An exaggeration of current realities. The book was pretty interesting!

Very interesting...do you recall the title of the book?

Goldieluks:

So what you are saying in a nut shell is that, you don't believe in the existence of God,
because you read a karl Marx book?

Is that difficult to fathom?....would it seem so absurd?...although I doubt that was what she was implying.

However on the flip-side some people believe in the existence of “God” because they read a book...the bible. So if indeed queensmith went about it the other way it’s no different to those who discovered their faith through the pages of a book.

P.S. Goldie don’t bite my head off *runs*
Re: Will You Marry An Atheist? by emofine2(f): 10:26am On Jun 15, 2012
Extremes exist in every society; so if theism existed so would have atheism even agnosticism and so on etc...the titles or description may have been different in relation to the society/culture at the time. Atheists (in the west) were relatively silent prior to 9/11 so I can only imagine how silent or private African atheists are concerning their unbelief in a traditionally spiritually steeped continent. We really shouldn't be crediting the Europeans for everything now...Christianity included.

For the sake of our fellow Africans on the North Eastern tip of the continent whose history intersected with Christianity long before many Europeans adhered to the faith and the first European missionaries on the continent I consider it a disservice to them to donate the larger Christian body to the Europeans...our history with Christianity may not resemble other Africans history with the faith.
Re: Will You Marry An Atheist? by Nobody: 10:39am On Jun 15, 2012
cowgurl: grin Amen to that prayer. @ Sauer, how long have you been this way and why?
Frankly, I don't think I've "been in any [this] way". I'd like to believe I just express normal thoughts here. I often wonder why so-called Christians, especially the ones in Africa, have not bothered to question a religion purposefully handed to them by missionaries who took a boat and set sail for the west African coast. They might as well have arrived in Nigeria by accident, for all we know. And isn't it obvious all they employed for their conversion duties were simply perseverance and conviction? These which by themselves prove nothing of the truth of their "good news". Smh!
I'd be very concerned if I were a christian. Why should I take church or any sweet-talking pastor seriously?

emöfine2:
By the way Shymmex, are you learning Ifa from the exterior or are you also practicing it whilst you learn? Do you find it to be on a similar philosophical axis as Ancient Greek theology? (I have my reasons for asking)

Though this is not directed at me, I sure must answer. Ifa (and everything around it) and ancient Greek theology are certainly on the same philosophical axis. Honestly, it's a great pity the Yorubas never documented most things. The old Oyo empire had such a complex system of societal development from politics to religion that it's not difficult to imagine how deeply influential Ifa philosophy might have been in its early years in a struggling society and in its developed stages in that old Kingdom. Religion or Philosophy only becomes increasingly suitable for academic studies when it begins permeating daily living and influencing individual or collective decisions. Communism didn't become as huge as it is today until Russia set out to implement Marx's ideas, of course under the guidance of Lenin. Ifa might have been.
And to add, Ifa philosophy might have had a rich, influential architecture to it, much more complex than what exists today, if it had been built on writings and if subsequent philosopher-priests had stood on the shoulders of past giants. So, to me, the answer would indeed be that, yes, ifa philosophy could compare favorably well in scope and adoption with any other religious traditions a major city took up.
Re: Will You Marry An Atheist? by Nobody: 10:58am On Jun 15, 2012
emöfine2: Extremes exist in every society; so if theism existed so would have atheism even agnosticism and so on etc...the titles or description may have been different in relation to the society/culture at the time. Atheists (in the west) were relatively silent prior to 9/11 so I can only imagine how silent or private African atheists are concerning their unbelief in a traditionally spiritually steeped continent. We really shouldn't be crediting the Europeans for everything now...Christianity included.

For the sake of our fellow Africans on the North Eastern tip of the continent whose history intersected with Christianity long before many Europeans adhered to the faith and the first European missionaries on the continent I consider it a disservice to them to donate the larger Christian body to the Europeans...our history with Christianity may not resemble other Africans history with the faith.
I'd find it believable that many probably have not an idea that Tunisia, Algeria and the many muslim countries in the Northern African desert today were once incredibly serious Christian nations, and catholic too. And that one of the foremost Christian thinkers in history, St. Augustine of Hippo, could as well be regarded as Algerian today!
Any unserious student of history, who has a fair idea of how these nations evolved from being Pagan nations to Christian nations and now ardent suicide-bombing Muslim nations will have absolutely no reason to take religion seriously.
Re: Will You Marry An Atheist? by cowgurl: 11:27am On Jun 15, 2012
sauer:
Frankly, I don't think I've "been in any [this] way". I'd like to believe I just express normal thoughts here. I often wonder why so-called Christians, especially the ones in Africa, have not bothered to question a religion purposefully handed to them by missionaries who took a boat and set sail for the west African coast. They might as well have arrived in Nigeria by accident, for all we know. And isn't it obvious all they employed for their conversion duties were simply perseverance and conviction? These which by themselves prove nothing of the truth of their "good news". Smh!

Because I connect with it.
Won't it be insane of me to question that?

I'd be very concerned if I were a christian. Why should I take church or any sweet-talking pastor seriously?

From my understanding of the scriptures, the building or the pastor isn't the church, WE ARE! That's the mistakes most of us make.
Re: Will You Marry An Atheist? by cowgurl: 11:36am On Jun 15, 2012
To me, the Bible is just like every other book I read, I take what aplies to me and can't question what doesn't even though I have questions.
Re: Will You Marry An Atheist? by Nobody: 12:03pm On Jun 15, 2012
cowgurl:

Because I connect with it.
Won't it be insane of me to question that?

From my understanding of the scriptures, the building or the pastor isn't the church, WE ARE! That's the mistakes most of us make.

cowgurl: To me, the Bible is just like every other book I read, I take what aplies to me and can't question what doesn't even though I have questions.
Apparently, you do what most Christians do: you pick and choose what to believe. I wouldn't have a problem with this nor would any other atheist or person. The problem arises when you'd have us believe what lies in the bible is absolute truth, for it certainly can't be proper that you'd pick and choose from a book that contains the absolute truth. Honestly, if christians (and other religionists) would retract that claim, they would suffer much less attack from those who hold nothing of religion.
However, if this book is indeed like every other book to you, you should be able to ask questions. Don't be held back. A few questions here and there will always help

And to add, of course we hear the story that the pastor isn't the church, yet we see the reverse demonstrated daily. Most actually abide by what their pastors say, and not by what the bible says. There appears to be comfort in having someone else make the decisions for them. Much pleasant if such someone was highly placed in spiritual matters.
Re: Will You Marry An Atheist? by LogicMind: 12:20pm On Jun 15, 2012
Goldieluks:

That is where you go wrong dear. People think that intelligence attained from
vast knowledge of studying human theories, makes them a complete being.
But that is not always the case,because the type of intelligence we humans should be aiming
at, is that of understanding and knowing the Bible at our finger tips, because on the
day of judgement God will not be interested in your worldy knowledge, by asking (my son/daughter
how many chapters of karl max's/sigmund freud/mark johnson's book did you study.

Focus would be on how you understood the Bible and applied it to your everyday life.

Why would any sane person want to marry a woman like this?
Re: Will You Marry An Atheist? by Nobody: 1:09pm On Jun 15, 2012
sauer:
I've read this and your subsequent comments on atheism. To me, you'd appear not so knowledgeable on atheism and stuff. No, not all atheists believe in the big b.ang. Plus, atheism was certainly not derived from any Egyptian god combination. Some atheists are in fact totally opposed to any form of religious representations whatsoever; it never makes any sense nor solve any problems. There might have indeed been a couple of atheists among the earliest Egyptians, but one can be rest assured their beliefs never stemmed from any cosmological nonsense. If it did, then they won't be atheists, but mere religionists of some other form.

Atheism is the absolute denial of the existence of God or any other gods - and if that's the case, there shouldn't be a situation where some believe in big b.ang, and others don't.. It shows that atheist don't really know what they want... Just like Christianity is about the believe in Jesus Christ - and any 'Christian' who doesn't believe in Jesus shouldn't be called a Christian..

Personally, I think atheists are confused lots. If you don't believe in the existence of a God - then you should be able explain how you got to this planet, and how the universe, and the solar system was created.. And any alternative answer you provide is definitely your 'belief system' - which makes it your religion, period..
Re: Will You Marry An Atheist? by Nobody: 1:12pm On Jun 15, 2012
sauer:
There are millions of atheists who don't believe any damn thing and just live their lives like it has an end to it!

Do atheists also believe in death?
Re: Will You Marry An Atheist? by Nobody: 1:15pm On Jun 15, 2012
Goldieluks:
That is where you go wrong dear. People think that intelligence attained from
vast knowledge of studying human theories, makes them a complete being.
But that is not always the case,because the type of intelligence we humans should be aiming
at, is that of understanding and knowing the Bible at our finger tips, because on the
day of judgement God will not be interested in your worldy knowledge, by asking (my son/daughter
how many chapters of karl max's/sigmund freud/mark johnson's book did you study.

Focus would be on how you understood the Bible and applied it to your everyday life.

If you lead your life based on the Bible, then you're definitely condemned to failure - because the Bible contradicts itself from chapter to chapter... To me, the Bible was a poorly written book - just a combination of different ancient scriptures, and allegories - by a group of people looking for something to believe in...

I'd say the Qu'ran is a better written book than the Bible (I've read the two books)..
Re: Will You Marry An Atheist? by Nobody: 1:20pm On Jun 15, 2012
queensmith:

Stop dyckriding people on a thread, you simpleton... Do you know what an atheist is?

The same girl who's getting excited about reading a Karl Marx book, I read when I was in college - is out here chatting crap as if she knows a damn thing about what she's talking about...

Your problem is that you're confused, and you're looking for a place you can attach yourself to... Learn to listen when people who have survived your present predicament talk. undecided

Nothing scares me about atheism - I just don't like people living in denial, period.
Re: Will You Marry An Atheist? by Nobody: 1:26pm On Jun 15, 2012
shymmex:

You don't understand that atheists are very individualistic. just because they fall under the same name doesn't make all of them the same. just like christianity has many subgroups, atheism has sub-individuals. they just live their lives on their own. very reserved and self-business minding set of people.
Re: Will You Marry An Atheist? by Nobody: 1:29pm On Jun 15, 2012
Logic Mind:

Why would any sane person want to marry a woman like this?
Why indeed would any sane person want to marry such woman?

shymmex:

Atheism is the absolute denial of the existence of God or any other gods - and if that's the case, there shouldn't be a situation where some believe in big b.ang, and others don't.. It shows that atheist don't really know what they want... Just like Christianity is about the believe in Jesus Christ - and any 'Christian' who doesn't believe in Jesus shouldn't be called a Christian..

Personally, I think atheists are confused lots. If you don't believe in the existence of a God - then you should be able explain how you got to this planet, and how the universe, and the solar system was created.. And any alternative answer you provide is definitely your 'belief system' - which makes it your religion, period..
I find no sense in your argument that one's explanation of how one got to this universe serves as basis for one's religion. It doesn't hold water. And you should quit thinking that atheists must have an explanation for how the world all started. There are scientists who are attempting to explain this, some who feel this has been answered and there are people as well who believe such questions are beyond our present understanding. Whatever the case, it's not binding on atheists to explain the world's origin. They could very well care less about that. Oftentimes, what's of paramount importance to them is ensuring that the world is not stuck in thoughts about is past and origins, but instead move forward towards solving its problems and making living better for its inhabitants.
Re: Will You Marry An Atheist? by Nobody: 1:32pm On Jun 15, 2012
shymmex:

Of course, the reality of death is undeniable and any atheist would do himself no good not to believe that. Perhaps the greatest fear-inducing monster in life is death itself, and that could explain why many seek the succour of afterlife in religion. I'd argue the average atheist is indeed very brave not to take this alternative.
Re: Will You Marry An Atheist? by Nobody: 1:41pm On Jun 15, 2012
emöfine2:
I understood what you were implying...it’s just unfortunate...very unfortunate...that an African traditional practice (vodun) has been reduced to a byword for malpractices and other negative connotations and used to summarize (thereby demonizing) other beliefs on the continent including vodun.

Sure there were some extremely deplorable beliefs and practices (as were around the world) but that should not render whole systems as rotten especially considering the background and trajectory of the imported non-innocent faiths they were substituted for. Moreover many including vodun were not even given a fair assessment before premature conclusions were made and such misconception still persists.

I concur! I believe the damage (by negative publicity) done to most African traditional practices by Christianity, and the Islam is something that can't be changed in this lifetime - that's more reason why I'm more inclined to Ifa which you can practice in its simplest form.. All you need is the Odu Ifa, and knowing what it's all about.. No rituals, no temple - none of that, it's just about meditating and connecting to God with your head (eleda).

I'm still learning it from the exterior, but I haven't started practicing it yet...

I don't think Ifa itself is of similar philosophical axis as the ancient Greek theology. Ifa is about the concept of consciousness, physical body, inner self, emotional guidance, and head and heart.

The Yoruba religion, which thrives on polytheism is similar to the ancient Greek theology but I don't think Ifa does. The Yoruba religion is different from Ifa - Ifa is just the spiritual aspect of it... That's why most people who practice Ifa are allowed to practice any other faith they wish to practice - it's called extended family in Ifa... Most Yoruba people who are either Christians or muslims - still practice Ifa, one way or the other..

Another typo? tongue grin

Looool! Definitely another typo. grin
Re: Will You Marry An Atheist? by queensmith: 1:47pm On Jun 15, 2012
emöfine2:

Very interesting...do you recall the title of the book?

Is that difficult to fathom?....would it seem so absurd?...although I doubt that was what she was implying.

However on the flip-side some people believe in the existence of “God” because they read a book...the bible. So if indeed queensmith went about it the other way it’s no different to those who discovered their faith through the pages of a book.

P.S. Goldie don’t bite my head off *runs*

http://books.google.co.uk/books/about/Why_Read_Marx_Today.html?id=ugOjJtLoTuEC&redir_esc=y
Re: Will You Marry An Atheist? by Nobody: 1:50pm On Jun 15, 2012
michelin89:
You don't understand that atheists are very individualistic. just because they fall under the same name doesn't make all of them the same. just like christianity has many subgroups, atheism has sub-individuals. they just live their lives on their own. very reserved and self-business minding set of people.

But no matter how individualistic they're, atleast they should be able to explain how they got to this planet - and have some explanation for the existence of life, the universe, and the solar system.. Whatever it's their answer to me, is basically what they believe in..
Re: Will You Marry An Atheist? by queensmith: 1:53pm On Jun 15, 2012
Goldieluks:

If praying does not solve your problems, what does?
It is a two way thing my dear, it is either one believe in God or the devil.
You have to choose one.

well this is the thing, when I'm seeking for something I seek God. I pray and fast and do all those things, though i'm not overtly religous. but if one was to ask me why, i'll just say I've been raised that way. When we need help, guidance the rest just seek the face of God. I can't give a justified reason why. I know too many hypocritical christians to trust anything people try to say in the name of God, but I know it doesn't matter what deity you worship. If you are a good person of sound spirit no religion can change that.

Atheists are not a cult or an organisation or anything like that, they just don't believe in deitys, and rightfully so, have we seen God? Has anybody seen him? Can you prove you have seen him? no, we only believe what we want. Atheists are aware of that and look at things in a more practical sense. Not every atheist or pagan gives a hoot about what others believe in, most couldnt care less.
Re: Will You Marry An Atheist? by queensmith: 1:55pm On Jun 15, 2012
shymmex:

Stop dyckriding people on a thread, you simpleton... Do you know what an atheist is?

The same girl who's getting excited about reading a Karl Marx book, I read when I was in college - is out here chatting crap as if she knows a damn thing about what she's talking about...

Your problem is that you're confused, and you're looking for a place you can attach yourself to... Learn to listen when people who have survived your present predicament talk. undecided

Nothing scares me about atheism - I just don't like people living in denial, period.

Well done, you could read when you was in college, clap for yourself
Re: Will You Marry An Atheist? by queensmith: 1:58pm On Jun 15, 2012
sauer:
That again is not very fair to knowledge. When people (and most Nigerians I know) hear the word "atheist", their mind just takes flight. What comes to their imagination is better left unsaid

like goldie said, you either believe in her religion by fire by force or you are an agent of the devil There is no other way, people are not allowed to follow their own pattern of thought. You must all conform to what society has dictated to you and stop asking too many questions!
Re: Will You Marry An Atheist? by Nobody: 2:00pm On Jun 15, 2012
shymmex:

But no matter how individualistic they're, atleast they should be able to explain how they got to this planet - and have some explanation for the existence of life, the universe, and the solar system.. Whatever it's their answer to me, is basically what they believe in..

I'll leave that to the scientists. with all the hustle i go still dey hala about origins and end?! smiley
Re: Will You Marry An Atheist? by Nobody: 2:06pm On Jun 15, 2012
sauer:
I find no sense in your argument that one's explanation of how one got to this universe serves as basis for one's religion. It doesn't hold water. And you should quit thinking that atheists must have an explanation for how the world all started. There are scientists who are attempting to explain this, some who feel this has been answered and there are people as well who believe such questions are beyond our present understanding. Whatever the case, it's not binding on atheists to explain the world's origin. They could very well care less about that. Oftentimes, what's of paramount importance to them is ensuring that the world is not stuck in thoughts about is past and origins, but instead move forward towards solving its problems and making living better for its inhabitants.

That's where most pseudo-atheist got it wrong.. The concept of God is based on creation, life, the universe, and the solar system - and the mysterious ways everything in our daily lives happen.. That's why most people who believe in God, call God the supreme being...

If you don't believe in the supreme being - then, you must have your own explanation for the existence of life, and the universe - and whatever explanation you give is what you believe in... Denying it, and just getting by shows you're ignorant and naive - as the people you're trying to critique for believing in the supreme being...

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (16) (Reply)

Orimiri Jordan In Enugu, Heals Mad Man / How Effective Is Mountain Prayers ??? / Reopening Of Churches & Mosques In Abuja: FCTA Releases Guidelines

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 94
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.